Home
Posted By: rlott Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
Every morning I marvel at my new Kohler's ability to gulp down a Peterbuilt with a shotglass of water. Amazing.
Posted By: hanco Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
They tend to make your sewer line stop up, because you aren’t moving much water through the line. New buildings come with low flow parts in the flush valves. The first thing we do is put parts in to increase water flow. They are good in theory, but ain’t worth a cshit in commercial buildings. I hate unstopping toilets and stopped up sewers. I pay 3.00 for a thousand gallons of water. That means I can flush my toilet at my house 333 times for three bucks, compared to 666 times with a low flow toilet. I doubt if wifey and I flush 6 dollars of water down the toilet in a month. You aren’t really saving much.

But what the hell do I know??
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
I like our Mansfield.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
The cure for low flow toilet problems is a 5 gallon bucket. Keep one handy and prevent problems.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
Originally Posted by hanco
They tend to make your sewer line stop up, because you aren’t moving much water through the line. New buildings come with low flow parts in the flush valves. The first thing we do is put parts in to increase water flow. They are good in theory, but ain’t worth a cshit in commercial buildings. I hate unstopping toilets and stopped up sewers. I pay 3.00 for a thousand gallons of water. That means I can flush my toilet at my house 333 times for three bucks, compared to 666 times with a low flow toilet. I doubt if wifey and I flush 6 dollars of water down the toilet in a month. You aren’t really saving much.

yeah, well you're ruining the environment and making the world a desert.

Or something.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
Same here. We just bought two and in one of the demo videos I watched it showed them flushing a bucket of golf balls.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
Originally Posted by rlott
Every morning I marvel at my new Kohler's ability to gulp down a Peterbuilt with a shotglass of water. Amazing.

Koehler revolutionized toilets with the wide flapper that hits the bowl with more water at once and is extremely efficient.

Most people however don’t know how to change the flapping seal (which is just a ring of rubber on the canister like flapper).
Posted By: akasparky Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Same here. We just bought two and in one of the demo videos I watched it showed them flushing a bucket of golf balls.

Seems golf balls might roll on their own down a waste pipe, turds and paper require water to move them along.

Paying attention to the plumber will cost less in the long run.

Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
The idiots in WDC have a habit of passing catch all regulations. They might be needed for some but they pass them for everyone, even when not needed. I can see that some big cities have water shortages and that some changes needed to be made, like low flow toilets, showers, and kitchen faucets. So, the geniuses in WDC forced them on everyone, needed or not. We have a well and septic. All the water that goes down our drains ends up back in the ground., no net loss to the aquifer. I really hate standing in front of the sink waiting for it to fill because some genius decided that I shouldn't get more than 2 gal/min out of a faucet. It doesn't save any water. It only costs me time waiting for it.
Posted By: kennyd Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
They never show those golf balls going 30 feet through a sewer line, not to mention the trap with a wad of tissue. It is a monthly at minimum t to pour that 5 gallon bucket through every drain in my home.

1.6 x 3 flushes to go clean is pretty much 5 gallons.

Do not forget the water saving kitchen faucet that takes forever to fill a pot and will not flush a garbage disposal. I compost almost everything.
Posted By: Sparky70 Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
I just go to the neighbors and do an upper decker.
Posted By: akasparky Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
. All the water that goes down our drains ends up back in the ground., no net loss to the aquifer.

And you think these guys know how that works?
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21

That's the one I got also. So far it's batting 1000. Never had to flush it twice to get it to empty and it's had some log jams in it.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
I live in Mississippi, I can kick my boot heel in the ground and strike water. The last thing I need is low flow anything, we've got water everywhere.

If you live in a desert like California or Arizona then I can see worrying about water availability, but I don't choose to live in a desert. I've got to deal with toilets that won't flush a man turd because some idiots in D.C. thinks the entire country has a water shortage.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
Upon installation of two new 17.5 inch seat height toilets in our house, I changed out the drain valve to a new one that sits 3 inches closer to the bottom of the tank. And put in new adjustable fill valves which allow three additional inches of fill depth in the tank.

Those bitches will take the Peterbuilt AND the 53 foot trailer. No 2'nd flushes required. I don't think it even costs a penny to pump the water for a flush.

Oh, the low flow restrictors in the faucets and showers are removable. My daughter comes over and marvels at the flow rate in our kitchen sink.
Oh, the low flow restrictors in the faucets and showers are removable. My daughter comes over and marvels at the flow rate in our kitchen sink.
Some, yes, but not all of them.
Posted By: RogueHunter Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21

"Low flush" and "toilet" should never be used in the
same sentence.
Posted By: EdM Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
My Toto's just flat work with little water use and no issues in 12 years.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21

Time for the gastroenterologist..
Posted By: MM879 Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
I've got the American Standard "Ferguson" I defeated the low flow trigger mechanism on the high flow flush valve. It started life timid but, it is monster now.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
So, who eats golf balls?
Originally Posted by wabigoon
So, who eats golf balls?

You can't drive a golf ball 300 yards?
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
They tend to make your sewer line stop up, because you aren’t moving much water through the line.

Yup. Better get you one of these:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
So, who eats golf balls?

Well, I do, but a bucket at a time is just gluttony.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Upon installation of two new 17.5 inch seat height toilets in our house, I changed out the drain valve to a new one that sits 3 inches closer to the bottom of the tank. And put in new adjustable fill valves which allow three additional inches of fill depth in the tank.

Those bitches will take the Peterbuilt AND the 53 foot trailer. No 2'nd flushes required. I don't think it even costs a penny to pump the water for a flush.

You can drill the hole in a shower head out to get more water through it. Some have a removable restriction washer. I took the washer out, drilled a bigger hole. Wifey has long thick hair. She was plenty happy.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21

just replumbed under a friends nephews house and laid a whole new sewer tap in with 3 inch due to these low flow issues.

If you are plumbed correctly it works. If not it doesn't

My old boss never understood and demanded 4 inch sewer lines on our inspections. I said NO not on new houses, its all by fixture units and the new ones are LOW Flow,

It means just what you said... but how he ever got an inspectors license and supposedly managed his CEUS always amazed me.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

You can drill the hole in a shower head out to get more water through it. Some have a removable restriction washer. I took the washer out, drilled a bigger hole. Wifey has long thick hair. She was plenty happy.

My standard move when trimming out a house is to pull all shower head restrictors. Saves on call-backs where the customer is complaining about flow.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21

Install a bidet, use MUCH less toilet paper while significantly decreasing the possibility of blockage.
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Install a bidet, use MUCH less toilet paper while significantly decreasing the possibility of blockage.
We have under-the-seat bidets on both toilets. They really do work in spite of the guffaws they get.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
So, who eats golf balls?
By the time Biden gets done, probably all of us.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
I had to have my pipes roto rootered a few months ago as one got blocked up and backed up the whole house. After the rootering around , he found a root had grown through one of my cast iron drain pipe joints but it was no match for the rooter machine... however, one thing he did tell me is to be careful not to use the bulky TP like the Costco and Charmin brand . They tend to take longer to break down and can block up a drain pipe pretty quickly. Also, never, ever put the sanitary or alcohol wipes down the toilet. The cloth like material they are made of take a very long time to break down, if they ever do and will really complicate rootering out your pipes later- not to mention most sewer treatment plants aren't designed to grind them up. A friend who worked at a sewer treatment plant for a while showed me a pic of a completely plugged up impeller in a huge pump at the plant that they had to remove every couple months and clean out the sanitary baby wipes in order for the treatment plant to resume operation. It wasn't a pretty picture...
Never, ever, ever, never flush fuuucking baby wipes down the drains! Got this out on a Thursday, I took off Friday, another plumber got just as much out the next day.

I hate damn baby wipes.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Never, ever, ever, never flush fuuucking baby wipes down the drains!

Absolutely. I complain that my wife abuses the disposer in the kitchen, no matter what I say, but to my knowledge, she and the kids are abiding by my rule about flushing wipes.
Never, ever, ever, never flush fuuucking baby wipes down the drains! Got this out on a Thursday, I took off Friday, another plumber got just as much out the next day.

I hate damn baby wipes.

You make a convincing argument.

I hate damn baby wipes.

Drain cleaning isn't for me, though I've done it. Most plumbing companies around here don't do drain cleaning anymore, since a couple of local drain cleaning companies have popped up.
Originally Posted by bruinruin

Absolutely. I complain that my wife abuses the disposer in the kitchen, no matter what I say, but to my knowledge, she and the kids are abiding by my rule about flushing wipes.

I do not have a garbage disposal in my house. Put the excess food in the damn trash. The grease collects in the line, turns into hard white cshit that clogs the line.

I do not have a garbage disposal in my house. Put the excess food in the damn trash. The grease collects in the line, turns into hard white cshit that clogs the line.

You know it and I know it, but I can't convince my wife. I tell her, "if you're going to take me seriously on anything, listen to me when I tell you as a master plumber going on 3 decades, that disposals aren't trash cans!"

Her mother is even worse about abusing the disposer. SMH....

You know it and I know it, but I can't convince my wife. I tell her, "if you're going to take me seriously on anything, listen to me when I tell you as a master plumber going on 3 decades, that disposals aren't trash cans!"

Her mother is even worse about abusing the disposer. SMH....

Take the MFer out when she is gone.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
You guys are being too hard on the women...
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/15/21
I’m sure was awkward for their previous owner but it’s not like there isn’t a trash can in the bathroom..
Posted By: hanco Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/16/21
That looks nasty! I hate pumps. We have a lot of them
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/16/21
Low Flo's were a huge problem when first mandated.
A little tank on Grandma's toilet tech was not gonna cut it.

New designs, good plumbing, we have an American Standard
that has never plugged.

However, we are 21 years in a 28 year old house.

When we moved in there was no conditioner on our very hard
limestone water. The toilet had a 3/8 inch buildup of stone in the
bottom. I cleaned it with a hammer and screwdriver, as far down as I could reach. Eventually it continually plugged. Took it out and knocked a hole in
it to see what was happening. The buildup had constricted it down to
about 1 1/2".

Replaced it with an American Standard just like our current one.
About 10 years later, it started plugging.
We have a conditioner, so it didn't get buildup?
Was certain something got flushed.
Wife had one of those storage things above the tank.
Perfect setup for a comb or something to get in.

Anyway, was wrong.
It had a buildup of sandy stuff in it.
Not real hard, but solid.
So, in about 8 years when it backs up,
I'm getting a new one.
The other two I fought for over a year until
they just wouldn't work.

Not again,
A new throne is under $200.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/16/21
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Low Flo's were a huge problem when first mandated.
A little tank on Grandma's toilet tech was not gonna cut it.

New designs, good plumbing, we have an American Standard
that has never plugged.

However, we are 21 years in a 28 year old house.

When we moved in there was no conditioner on our very hard
limestone water. The toilet had a 3/8 inch buildup of stone in the
bottom. I cleaned it with a hammer and screwdriver, as far down as I could reach. Eventually it continually plugged. Took it out and knocked a hole in
it to see what was happening. The buildup had constricted it down to
about 1 1/2".

Replaced it with an American Standard just like our current one.
About 10 years later, it started plugging.
We have a conditioner, so it didn't get buildup?
Was certain something got flushed.
Wife had one of those storage things above the tank.
Perfect setup for a comb or something to get in.

Anyway, was wrong.
It had a buildup of sandy stuff in it.
Not real hard, but solid.
So, in about 8 years when it backs up,
I'm getting a new one.
The other two I fought for over a year until
they just wouldn't work.

Not again,
A new throne is under $200.

Try this stuff. It is top quality.
ZEP Acidic
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/16/21
It’s a GREAT thing to have an old american standard in an upstairs bathroom to help wash things out of line ...
Wifey wanted me to change everything to low flow toilet wise, but the toilets at the end of the line I left as conventionals to help the system clear itself.

Main line preventative maintenance -

Tree root killer if you have big tree’s in the front lawn - flush it a couple times a year if not more.
And teach them NOT to dump grease, baby wipes, paper towels, etc down the drain.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/16/21

Hanco, are those baby wipes getting flushed at the school building?

If so, you have some really ignorant “educated” people working there. Can the principal crack down on who might be doing that? And are there babies around there? Or just some old ckunt that thinks she needs baby wipes??

so many questions.

Damn, I’d send pics of that to everyone person in the bldg’s email.
Posted By: hanco Re: Low Flush Toilet - 01/16/21
Originally Posted by slumlord

Hanco, are those baby wipes getting flushed at the school building?

If so, you have some really ignorant “educated” people working there. Can the principal crack down on who might be doing that? And are there babies around there? Or just some old ckunt that thinks she needs baby wipes??

so many questions.

Damn, I’d send pics of that to everyone person in the bldg’s email.

All of the above happened. My old boss would say they are educated beyond their intelligence level. He was correct. It was a special needs room.

Had a football coach doing the same thing. I admired him for owning up to it when the line stopped up. Most people would have lied.
© 24hourcampfire