Home
My two girls married great guys, both married 20 years. One owns a wrecker company, the other is a police detective. My daughter in law is so-so, lazy around the house, but apparently does well at work. They all have made nice grandkids.

How are yours if you have them??
One married good (so far) and one had their head up their ass, doing well now with the divorce and all.
Yup, thank God.

3 daughters, all stay at home moms, 13 grandkids. ;-{>8
laugh Danny Thomas, 'You have children so they can marry someone not half good enough. So they can give you grandchildren twicw as good as anyone else's."

Yes all our sons, and daughters by marriage are good!
Both married. Oldest lost his wife a little over a year back, he's raising 2 boys and a daughter. He is a rocket scientist. Youngest is a train wreck with the primary cause wearing his wedding band. The kids are perfect little monsters. Chitt happens, life goes on.
My son married a great woman, he is lucky to have her. Three kids that are being raised right . She is a rock.
I am blessed in many ways.
Yes #1 daughter married to a guy 10 years older.private pilot And business owner. 2 grand kids....grandma happy...Jopa happy. He is becoming my new hunting partner.
#2 daughter married to a guy 10 years older. They own a dog training business together and are raising his 2 daughters from a previous marriage. Grandma happy. Jopa Happy.
2 great daughters-in-law, one grandson, so far so good
Both of my great great grandson in laws are in mgt at Johns Manville
Sure did

Yep! memtb
Originally Posted by hanco
My two girls married great guys, both married 20 years. One owns a wrecker company, the other is a police detective. My daughter in law is so-so, lazy around the house, but apparently does well at work. They all have made nice grandkids.

Wow...I have the exact mirror image of your family. Got 2 sons, one is a police detective the other and Mech Eng. One DIL lazy around the house but has great job, is well respected there and makes good money, the other DiL is a go getter and a hunter, sometimes is my hunting partner. Both sons are hunters and go with me a lot, they especially want to go with me now that I'm older and still go it alone....but thats ok by me.

One has 2 boys, the other has 1 girl/1 boy....and all of them love shooting 22 with me.
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Yup, thank God.

3 daughters, all stay at home moms, 13 grandkids. ;-{>8

Lucky bugger!
Oldest daughter will be getting married this summer to a great guy. Hard worker, always has a smile on his face, polite as hell (asked her mother and I for permission to marry her), and most of all makes her very happy! We are extremely happy she found him as her last couple of boyfriends had us scratching our heads!

Youngest is dating a good guy that just started the police academy for our local department. They are peas in a pod and we can tell they really care for each other. Prolly a ways away from a wedding but that’s fine with us!

Elk Country
Until my son irons himself out, I hope not. First in 3 generations to not do college. He smokes like a train, is seriously heavy into alcohol, and at 30 is still doing entry level work offering no future. His room and rig look like a city dump with partially consumed bottles, cans, and left over food everywhere. In total denial on having a drinking problem. No idea how he slipped so, as he was not raised that way. Fortunately he moved out recently following a cyber girl friend to Billings. I'd not wish his behavior and habits on anyone. Maybe a caring and patient girl could bring him around, but I fear that after a tying of the knot he'd regress.

A kid can be the greatest joy and largest frustration in ones life.
I'm still trying to figure out if I married worth a fugg...
Three of my four married absolutely outstanding people. Oldest daughter married a liar, thief, and extreme jerk with OCD, narcissism, and extreme manipulativeness. She dumped him after 24 years and now has a terrific husband.

17 grandkids, a couple with troubles from the aforementioned jerk, but on balance doing great.
Three sons here. The youngest, 21, married this past May to a local brilliant high school and A&M classmate. They are fine. Middle son, 29, announced his marriage last year for October here at the house, "I wanna get married at the burn pile". They will be fine. The eldest, 30, is an unknown with regard to marriage. Just cautious...
Youngest daughter screwed up on husband number one and fixed that fast. She later married a career Coast Guard guy and we had a few bumps in the road to start with and he figured out who I was and what I was about. I couldn’t be happier with them together and a couple of grandkids. Oldest daughter is engaged to another good guy and it took a little bit of time for him to realize to quit competing with me over my other two grandkids and it’s all good now. The boy well we will see.
Two of my sons did! My oldest one married a piece of [bleep] whore. Not he has a good girlfriend!!!
My daughter didn't do well. It lasted 6 months and they were divorced. but, she is not lazy and is working hard to keep her and her daughter in a home and well fed. The son married well and is very successful. I have 3 grand kids and we get to see them often.

kwg
Seems we lucked out with sons...
Daughter married a sorry SOB, but he's turned into a heck of a son-in-law, husband, father, and good man! Full time major in the Nat Guard.
They are raising 4 good kids.
And no - I wasn't particularly biased about him, when they were dating - just told him I'd kill him if he hurt my daughter -
assuming she didn't beat me to the draw! (Pun intended!)
None of our kids have married yet and our oldest is a 35 year old playboy. We haven't been blessed with any grandkids either. Maybe someday.
Both have darn well in picking their spouse.

Have a son in law that is good with their sons and he likes to shoot.

My daughter in law likes to shoot as well with 1 son and 1 daughter.

Both in laws are RN's and know their stuff.

Plus i like them. grin
My son is 23. And if he asks, I’m gonna tell him to NOT get married. My daughters are 24 and 31. If they ask, I’m gonna tell them to NOT get married.
Two out of three so far. Oldest is divorced from a worthless POS. Unfortunately, they have a child together, so she'll never be rid of him altogether.
My daughter in law is a RN and completed her master's in health car administration ay 30 years old . Great work ethic and sweet girl but she cant cook .

I told my son many times its hard to find a girl like mom .
Our son married a great girl. Three months after they married he was diagnosed with leukemia. She stood by him the whole time. Through the chemotherapy and into remission. When it came back she was by his side for the stem cell transplant and once again into remission. They had three years after the second bout before it came back. Then it was so aggressive he only had five weeks from finding it returned to when he passed. She was by his side, unwaveringly until his last breath. Yeah. We did well in the DIL lottery.

She has since remarried to a guy we really like. They have a child whom we consider our grandson. There will always be a place in our hearts for her.
My youngest daughter married a great guy, he's a LEO and Eagle Scout. He treats he like a princess, only married this past November they're building their first house. Expect grandchildren soon after they move in. Oldest daughter is a CPA and has been dating a guy who is studying to be an accountant, she has owned her own home for a couple of years now. I expect them to be getting married in the near future.
My son is five months old - this thread is stressing me out! I can't imagine watching a kid go through serious marriage trouble.

I'm also wondering what my father in law would write if he was on this forum...
Originally Posted by mart
Our son married a great girl. Three months after they married he was diagnosed with leukemia. She stood by him the whole time. Through the chemotherapy and into remission. When it came back she was by his side for the stem cell transplant and once again into remission. They had three years after the second bout before it came back. Then it was so aggressive he only had five weeks from finding it returned to when he passed. She was by his side, unwaveringly until his last breath. Yeah. We did well in the DIL lottery.

She has since remarried to a guy we really like. They have a child whom we consider our grandson. There will always be a place in our hearts for her.

My heart breaks for you on the loss of your son, but glad you are finding happiness in a grandchild and staying close to your daughter in law.

I have two DIL's. Both are stay at home Moms and raising my grandchildren. Don't always agree with their ways but try to keep my mouth shut.

My one son in law is a captain in the Fire Department and he can hardly start a fire out camping. Go figure that.

But I've got their boy (grandson) under my wing now teaching him all the important things like how to tie a palomar knot, whittle a stick, throw a baitcaster, and shoot a gun.
Yes, they sure did. It was my wife that didn't do so well.
Originally Posted by Morewood

My heart breaks for you on the loss of your son, but glad you are finding happiness in a grandchild and staying close to your daughter in law.

I have two DIL's. Both are stay at home Moms and raising my grandchildren. Don't always agree with their ways but try to keep my mouth shut.

My one son in law is a captain in the Fire Department and he can hardly start a fire out camping. Go figure that.

But I've got their boy (grandson) under my wing now teaching him all the important things like how to tie a palomar knot, whittle a stick, throw a baitcaster, and shoot a gun.

Thank you. It's been a little over nine years now. Seems like both yesterday and a lifetime ago. I am ashamed to admit I had to google Palomar Knot.
My son had a difficult start, he married young but got hit with adult onset type 2 diabetes and cancer right out of the starting gate. Apparently that wasn’t what she signed up for and she left. Got back with her high school boyfriend. But a year after my son and her got married they did have a little girl together before the break-up.

My own 20 year marriage was failing at that time (nothing I wanted) and all of the grandparenting duties on our side fell upon me. The other set of grandparents are good people and my son’s Ex has never used access to the child as a weapon, custody was split almost evenly, my job has been to remain on good terms with everyone involved for the sake of the child.

Ten years later my son is in a stable relationship with a decent woman but doesn’t want to marry again, she does not want children but they spend a great deal of time looking after her niece, who has become a de-facto little sister to my granddaughter.

Things didn’t work out for my son’s Ex with the guy she left my son for, largely due to the deficiencies in his character. She recently bought a house and I’ve been helping her move along with her mom and brother. I actually feel bad for her, she wasn’t planning on being alone in her thirties.
No, and my wife and I legally took possession of our grandson when he was just over 1 year old. Both of his parents are disasters, I am so very sorry to say. I make no excuses for them. Grandson will be 7 next month. I'm 65, wife 55. I have been blessed with a chance to get this one right. We've just got to live long enough to see that he gets a good start in life, somehow.

The oldest daughter, actually my step-daughter, was not quite a year old when I married her mother. Her first husband had left her (my now wife) when she was pregnant. This daughter has turned out quite well and I am very pleased with her. She and her husband are very well educated and employed with a bright future. They have two children now.

Why the dramatic difference in the two? I have asked myself this question countless times, and I have no answer other than possibly genetic. It is what it is. Not what Daddy had envisioned. In the mean time, this little fellow needs us and we are doing all that we can to get him prepared for a good life.
Originally Posted by CCCC

This,
Both my children married exceptional others - both found their soul mate.
My have so far chosen not to marry.
we have twins and i must say both turned out great. they learned at a early age that they must work for what they want. one married a guy she worked with that turned out to be a POS. divorce in a year and a half with trying to kill him a few times. the other married a good guy a few years ago and i think they were meant for each other. both are doing well.
Daughter waited until she was mid thirties to marry. Got her education, career in full swing. Married a fine man, and have two wonderful children. Both work hard, invest well, have a ton of money and are very happy and focused.
My lad did not marry until he was 48. His wife is younger, very attractive, educated and a hard driver. They own two very successful businesses. One three year old daughter.
I am most pleased with both my children.

Someone cutting onions around my computer this morning.

Best to you and your family.
Lucky two out of 3, the one bad one is in jail in Texas and probably will survive it. Daughter in law gave my wife a kidney, one son in law loves his kids and works hard to provide.
Originally Posted by mcclure
My son is five months old - this thread is stressing me out! I can't imagine watching a kid go through serious marriage trouble.

Re: your father-in-law -

see my post above. smile
Daughter married an outstanding guy - college grad, superintendent of near-by Fort Mott State Park, vol. firefighter (firefighter of the year), belongs to a WW II reenactment group. Daughter had a very successful pet-sitting business (the only one in the county). Then SHE dropped the ball. He came home from work one day last year to find a note on the table. She moved to NYC and joined the "universal unitarian" church, and has a Youtube channel. Completely brainwashed. None of us expected it. Those of us who have reached out to her have been told to 'f**k off'. Some religion, eh?

Son isn't married yet. His girlfriend is waiting until she completes her graduate studies. Really sweet girl.
Originally Posted by hanco

Top notch - both of 'em...
I have two sons, ages 49 and 47. The older son married a tall beautiful nurse and they have tall handsome kids, ages 16, 13 and 12. She came from a broken home and consequently is somewhat of a drama queen. But she’s a good mother and is raising their kids right. My younger son married a beautiful CPA who is just wonderful. They have a 10 year old boy who is a clone of his dad at the same age. He finished high school Algebra as a third grader and is an avid gamer with a near photographic memory. He buys and trades stocks and even had an ETF. This son and his wife tried for years to have a second child, even trying IVF, but without success. I treasure all four grandkids.
I’ve encouraged my teenage kids to not ever get married.
Originally Posted by CCCC

I think my wife coulda done better also.
Originally Posted by mcclure

I've got news for ya brother, the problems never go away, they just change. When I was in your shoes, I always thought that I wanted them to grow up so all of the problems that they have when they're little would go away. Now that they're 29 and 33, I don't have to change their diapers anymore, but they seem to always find ways to make us worry about them.

I've always said that the toughest things I've ever done in my life was owning a business, being happily married for 34 years, and raising two kids.
Originally Posted by antlers
My son is 23. And if he asks, I’m gonna tell him to NOT get married. My daughters are 24 and 31. If they ask, I’m gonna tell them to NOT get married.
I would not ever doubt your reasoning on this - but gives me a touch of sadness.
Daughter met her husband in college. She teaches; he studied business and works for Farm Bureau. Him and I hunt together lots. They have 2 daughters (2+6) my wife and I cannot get enough of. They live 2 miles away. Son went to college, then a Navy Nuke. Now a a computer Tech for a firm in Charleston SC. His wife studied business works in her Dads company found out she is pregnant today. Hip! Hip! Life is Good. My wife and I dated 4 years straight then got married as we graduated college together. Married in 1982 and have been happily married ever since. Greatest thing that ever happened to me was finding her.
© 24hourcampfire