Home
Posted By: Quak Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent can manual opener? Seems the only we can get to last more than a couple months is the one on my Swiss Army knife

Very frustrating
Watch thrift shops.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
Hit the thrift stores in your area (or Ebay) and look for the older Swing-A-Way openers that were made in USA. They are made in China now and are OK, but not as good as the old ones.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
There's a new type on the market that pulls the lid off at the seam. They're pretty good, IMO.
Originally Posted by RiverRider
There's a new type on the market that pulls the lid off at the seam. They're pretty good, IMO.

Are those the ones that leave a razor sharp edge on the can?
Chef Boyardee available in pull tops now.
Posted By: Stophel Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
I use a P38 or the can opener on my Leatherman tool!
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Then Otto the Gobbage Man ready to loosen yo gree-hill when he cuts himself. 😿

Well, yeah. You can slice your pinky halfway off on the edge of the top removed the old way or the edge of the can itself. Take your pick.
Hit the thrift stores in your area and look for the older Swing-A-Way openers that were made in USA. They are made in China now and are OK, but not as good as the old ones.

^^^^^^^^^^
These....

Other plain jane types just shread metal in one place under the rim from the drive wheel.

Or the cutter wheel decides when and how much of the lid it wants to cut

Or a combo of both depending on what angle its fussy little azz needs ta be held.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Chef Boyardee available in pull tops now.

👍👍👍👍👍
Hell to the yeah!!!
Damn I thought this was going to be about canvasbacks
Posted By: keith Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
This can opener is a wet dream when it comes to a can opener!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Commercial...Silver-/353295978945?hash=item524214d1c1
The state of can openers is a pet peeve of mine. Admittedly most cans are pull top but in today's world where almost anything is possible why are can openers in general POS? The swing away is good and some of the early designs were the best.
Originally Posted by Hypocrite

My Browning does a great job of opening cans.
It the trigger is gold the Can will fold
Hard to find a decent one at a reasonable price
Originally Posted by keith
This can opener is a wet dream when it comes to a can opener!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Commercial...Silver-/353295978945?hash=item524214d1c1

Bought one for the wife for Christmas this year. She loves it.
In Russia

Cat survive too
Mine is still doing ok, but the cans now are so thin they buckle and bend. No wonder so many dented up vegetable cans now days.
It’s aight

I get the denteds at the foodbank.

That botulism stuff is Boomer BS
A leatherman works great
Posted By: aalf Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
[Linked Image from thrillblender.com]
The Pampered Chef can opener is hands down the best.
Originally Posted by aalf

Truth is I would still need a can opener because I woud be opening cans for her.
Zyliss is the best I have found. It pops the top so there's no sharp edge. I've had mine for at least 10 years with no issues & I believe it was made in Switzerland.

'course you could always get a commercial Ellund.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
Originally Posted by rickt300
The state of can openers is a pet peeve of mine. Admittedly most cans are pull top but in today's world where almost anything is possible why are can openers in general POS? The swing away is good and some of the early designs were the best.

+1
Posted By: Brad Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

This.

If you can get a USA made Swingaway, it’s second best.

Check this out at walmart.com.

, based on1reviews
Your Choice Products
Walmart # 582834837
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
I did not know that this is a problem. I will soon be decanting the Bush's Homestyle Beans to accompany the Kingsford ribs in a motel room in Ely Nv. It will be a struggle equal to uncorking a bottle of wine w/ a manual cork puller but easier. Would this qualify as a 1st world problem?

mike r
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
Pampered Chef. It’s the best manual can opener ever. It’s just great.
The problem with can openers today is that just like anything else, they're made in chiner. Anything made in chiner is of significantly lower quality than those items manufactured in the US, Germany, Switzerland, etc.

You may say, but I don't want to spend X amount on a can opener and opt instead for for a cheap chiner one. Well, that's fine, just expect it to break within a week, if not immediately.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21

Damn straight....
Posted By: tkinak Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
Originally Posted by 16bore

Damn straight....

Best ever!! Doesn't leave a sharp edge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pampered-Chef-Smooth-Edge-Can-Opener-2758-Retired/114635489315?epid=23011034657&hash=item1ab0cec023:g:S18AAOSwgvhgBD0g
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Originally Posted by Hypocrite

My Browning does a great job of opening cans.
It the trigger is gold the Can will fold

Didn’t go 20
Hit the thrift stores in your area (or Ebay) and look for the older Swing-A-Way openers that were made in USA. They are made in China now and are OK, but not as good as the old ones.

Yup.
The skinny ones with a church key on one leg are good too. But more apt to get buried in the drawer.
Avoid ones with a plastic handle to turn the advancer gear.
Posted By: EdM Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
This.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EZ-DUZ-IT-3028-Deluxe-Can-Opener-with-Grips-Black/45777327
You might try one of the ones listed here:

"Best" can opener review

Best part is the top two are made in the USA.

We've had a Kitchen Aid for several years that works great, but I don't know if their current version is same.
Posted By: keith Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
I had a Kitchen Aid and it lasted for two years, good while it lasted. The wheel that did the cutting got dull.
https://ohsayusa.com/search.php?search_query=CAN%20OPENER&section=product

made in USA
Faberware makes a good can opener. I’ve gone through a lot of can openers but this one has held up better than the other brands that I’ve used. My wife bought it. I liked it well enough to take it in the divorce.

I'll have to try one of those.looks like a Swing-A-Way knock off made in USA.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21

I have an older model, I see they have improved them.
How many cans a day do you all open?
That can opener looks like ET
I have one of the Pampered chef ones it works great. The wallyworld chinese ones sometimes break on the first can you try.
Between the Kung Flu and the can openers we ought to nuke the bastards.
Good old P-38 works for me.
Originally Posted by tkinak
Originally Posted by 16bore

Damn straight....

Best ever!! Doesn't leave a sharp edge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pampered-Chef-Smooth-Edge-Can-Opener-2758-Retired/114635489315?epid=23011034657&hash=item1ab0cec023:g:S18AAOSwgvhgBD0g

Yup. Oxo makes a good one, too. And you can reuse the lid as a lid.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
Zyliss, I have an older model, but this one works the same way. The other ones some folks have mentioned work on the same principal, they cut through the seam.

My wife likes the old Swing A Way better, but she's always worried about the sharp edges. Like........Duh
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
I’ve been using a cutco can opener for more than twenty years. It rips through with ease
Posted By: KRAKMT Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
Originally Posted by High_Noon
The problem with can openers today is that just like anything else, they're made in chiner. Anything made in chiner is of significantly lower quality than those items manufactured in the US, Germany, Switzerland, etc.

You may say, but I don't want to spend X amount on a can opener and opt instead for for a cheap chiner one. Well, that's fine, just expect it to break within a week, if not immediately.

This summer I bought a cheap can opener for the RV, just to use a few times a year. It broke on the first can.

I can risk the sharp can lids for one that actually functions.
Originally Posted by Stickfight
How many cans a day do you all open?

3 in a whole month, maybe

😃😆

But it’s worth 27 pages

I just squeeze them open.
Posted By: Starman Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
Swing-Away make a long crank handle version
for anyone with fading strength...
Posted By: Quak Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
Thanks for the help guys...still not sure what to do. The Chinese swing away is garbage like all Chinese crap...the pampered chef one looks plasticy and fragile. US swing aways on eBay may be worn out...That big boobed brunette looks about perfect but with COVID lockdowns and all and all I doubt I can afford it.

Just make the rounds of the Salvation Army and Goodwill stores. They get all that kitchen stuff from estates. When Gma dies it goes.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

I have an older model, I see they have improved them.

Can I trade one in, just need it for a few minutes?
Originally Posted by Quak
Thanks for the help guys...still not sure what to do. The Chinese swing away is garbage like all Chinese crap...the pampered chef one looks plasticy and fragile. US swing aways on eBay may be worn out...That big boobed brunette looks about perfect but with COVID lockdowns and all and all I doubt I can afford it.

Just get the Zyliss. They work great, are made in Switzerland and mine has lasted over 10 years.
Posted By: blanket Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I did not know that this is a problem. I will soon be decanting the Bush's Homestyle Beans to accompany the Kingsford ribs in a motel room in Ely Nv. It will be a struggle equal to uncorking a bottle of wine w/ a manual cork puller but easier. Would this qualify as a 1st world problem?

mike r

Funny a P38 to open and a butter knife handle to shove the cork down and keep it open to pour
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Good old P-38 works for me.

Yep never leave home without it, been on a keychain for 50 years
Posted By: szihn Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
Yup, P38 .............or Swiss Army Knife
Posted By: joken2 Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21

We've been using the same Tupperware brand 'side-cut' can opener for at least 20 years now and it still works good almost all of the time. Once in a while an odd can may need to be run through a second or third time but so far it has always cut the top off and never left with any sharp edge on lid or can. The handle and twist crank are some kind of thick, tough hard plastic but nothing has ever broke or even cracked on it.
Not to long from now all we be pull tops, leaving you with oil can spouts
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent can manual opener? Seems the only we can get to last more than a couple months is the one on my Swiss Army knife

Very frustrating

Most of the modern world has access to electricity. Buy an older Rival off Ebay and live happily ever after.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
The manual that's been shown several times or this,
We have and use both

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-Smooth-Touch-Can-Opener-Model-76606Z/5924593
Definitely prefer that one with tits.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Definitely prefer that one with tits.

Seems like a good choice, be betting there is an entire book of instructions and disclaimers though...all in small print.
Posted By: Starman Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
.. US swing aways on eBay may be worn out..

These get a good wrap and are a USA made clone..
the maker purchased the US Swingaway manf.
equipment. so it's basically a rebranded Swingaway.!!

http://www.sierravalleytrading.com/...A-VALLEY-LIFETIME-GUARANTEE-_p_1623.html
Anyone?

The Veteran Can Opener.

https://www.amazon.com/Veteran-Can-Opener-Made-USA/dp/B07J3STL8C
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]yacht wallpaper
Kinda on topic. What about what we used to call a "Church Key"? I like them to open chicken broth and such, but the ones found now will bend instead of opening a can. There were several in my Mother's drawer when She passed on, but I do not know what Happened to them. Sister or Nephew probably got them, or they may have been thrown away. I know there was one Griesedieck Brothers beer opener in there. miles
Posted By: AZmark Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
All you P-38 fans remember when everyone had at least one of these on their keychain?
Posted By: KFWA Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21

I have one and I agree - its the best can opener I've ever had.

Looking over the thread I'm suprised at how many people have one. I didn't think the Hunters Campfire would be a big pampered chef kinda place. We have a bunch of their stoneware.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
Mine is not the Pampered Chef brand, but it is that same design in the links above. It's a game changer for can openers.
Posted By: greydog Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
When we got married (51 years ago) we had one of those ubiquitous, cheap, Ecko can openers. It opened a ton of cans and lasted about 25 years. We bought another just like it (about 6 bucks) and got another 15 years out of that one. Since then, we have bought a dozen. A Pampered Chef opener lasted about a year until I was compelled to throw it out over the back fence. The current opener, picked up at the Dollar Store, is working well after a year. GD
Kitties come runnin for patè when that hamilton beach scoville makes that “errrr runrunrunrunrun” grinding noise

lol
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
Kuhn Rikon, Swiss made (kuhnrikonshop.com). Easiest and smoothest I've ever used. Son in law gave it to us over 10 years ago, still going strong.
I've used a few different ones, including my P38 when there was no other option but we got an OXO a few years ago and that thing not only works, but it is comfortable in your hands while cutting cleanly through the lid. We liked it so much we bought another one for the trailer and we bought one for the elk hunting camp utensils.... we've had our first one at least 10 years and it is still working like new...

I have one. works great.

The Pampered Chef opener isn't "plasticy and fragile." Do you hear guys saying that Glocks are "plasticy and fragile" after they've run thousands of rounds through them over some years?

The Pampered Chef I own was purchased by my wife before I met her. So it's at least 17 years old. I'm sure we open 20 cans a month on average. Again, the best can opener by far out of any of the openers I've ever used. It will change your perspective on can openers. If it cost $100, it would be a good buy.

And if you've cut your fingers and your spatulas many times trying to get the stuff out of a can opened with a regular opener, you'll appreciate that there are no sharp edges, so you can re-use the cans for all sorts of stuff, and again, not have to worry about slicing your fingers (and neither will your wife, or your kids/grandkids).
Posted By: Quak Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
Ok...just purchased one

Thanks fellas!
Posted By: mathman Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/18/21
Simple, cheap and works great:

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]
Quak: I have tried them all - there is no such thing as a decent, long lived "can opener"!
Ditto's for butane fire starters.
I will now read through this thread to see if indeed there is such a thing as a good and long lived can opener.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
mount one of these on the wall.

https://www.amazon.com/Drill-master-inch-Cut-Off-Saw/dp/B00GL9XUZ6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=Z9PBCARX1OZG&dchild=1&keywords=metal+chop+saw+6+inch&qid=1610989961&sprefix=metal+chop+saw%2Caps%2C495&sr=8-1
Here is a wall mount.

Dont know about cans but it opened a beer bottle slicker than fugg just a minute ago.

Posted By: longarm Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/25/21
Swing-A-Way (USA made). I've had it over 30 years, still works like brand new.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]4 day upper body split
Posted By: ingwe Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/25/21
Ive had a basic EKCO can opener for 35 years....
Swing-A-way USA all the way.

Busta Rhymes

🦫✊🏼
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

I have one. works great.

My wife got me one of those. Supposed to cut the lid off with no sharp edges.

Didnt work. At all....

Sahe says " did you read the instructions?"

A Phoucing can opener shouldn't come with instructions...

I never saw it again...
Me: Boomers ruined the food supply
Boomer: No we didn't
Me: Take a look at this thread
Boomer: ......
Originally Posted by ingwe

This style?

Posted By: rem141r Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/25/21
the p38 on my keychain works great.

thats a lie. it sucks and is only on there for nostalgia purposes.
My wife and I have an electric can opener that we got as newlyweds in ‘72. Still going strong.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by ingwe

This style?

Mine has extended handles on it....the $1.98 model!
There's probably some environmental regulation that says new can openers can only be made to work 25 % as well as old ones. Like our toilets you have to flush 3 times to get a 4 year old kids turd to go down, our washing machines that you have to run the laundry 3 times just to rinse the soap out, and our lawn mowers that you have to mow the yard from 2 different directions to get anything close to a decent cut.

Bb
Posted By: sse Re: Decent f—king can opener - 01/25/21
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
I just squeeze them open.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Had one of these for maybe 12-15 years. Works fine. It’s a fuggin’ can opener.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Gri...&hvtargid=pla-307266047980&psc=1

Some of you guys really having issues with can openers?
https://www.[bleep].com/uk/listing/257934802/mid-century-danish-design-tin-can-opener
P38, no doubt about it! Love mine and have carried them for years.
© 24hourcampfire