Home
Has anybody upgraded the Maglite 3D and 4D flashlights to an LED or other type bulb?

I have 2 or 3 of these lights and would like to get em back in service with something brighter.

If you have upgraded what did you go with and was it worth spending the $$ over just buying a newer style of flashlight?
D batteries are pretty old technology.
But you could upgrade those to rechargeable lithium D cells.
But you'd end up with a much longer, heavier light with no more output than a new compact model.
Unless you want it to double as a night stick. In that case a 6D mag can't be beat.
Several years ago I upgraded a 4d maglite with an led kit from Malkoff. My wife and I both love that light and reach for it first if we need one. Big, powerful throw, nothing in the yard (or the neighbors' yards) can hide from that thing. We love it. For us, it was totally worth it. YMMV.
This ^^^^^
I have the 3D led from mag (not a retrofit but an all new light). It is very bright and has great throw. It isn't the most technologically advanced light but it is quantum leaps above the old mag and it is one of my go to lights. I am not sure if the led retros are as good.
They make a led kit for a 5-cell?
Originally Posted by huntsman22

looks like anywhere from 3-6 is the same kit.

https://malkoffdevices.com/collections/maglite-drop-ins-and-accessories

This is one of them I am looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/LED-Conversi...a1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
I was going to use the Malkoff parts to convert my old 3-D cell, but I decided the price was too high.
Used the Malkoff for a 4 D maglight as well as a couple of old Surefire lights. All work great.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Has anybody upgraded the Maglite 3D and 4D flashlights to an LED or other type bulb?

I have 2 or 3 of these lights and would like to get em back in service with something brighter.

If you have upgraded what did you go with and was it worth spending the $$ over just buying a newer style of flashlight?
Yes. Don't remember for sure but it was probably Night Eyz. No.
I,posted this same ? A few years back ...found u were better off selling it for aluminum scrap.. and then go buy a real lite ...the led kit is to much $$$
I’ve never used their mag lite conversions, but I have several Malkoff surefire conversion heads on an E2E, a 6P, and an 870 forend, all work really well, and were worth the price paid.
I have several old mag light, I might try one.

I upgraded two MAG chargers to led, whilst it worked well I have found Olight to be superior...smaller, better, and cheaper.

My brother now has one of the MAG chargers, and my daughter has the other for use as a club/baton.

I just use Olight.
50 bucks for the 4D cell conversion. Don't think I paid that much for the light initially.
Originally Posted by hanco
I have several old mag light, I might try one.

Yes, do it. I did 4 years ago with my 4D. But only took the LED bulb because I wanted increased battery life in combination with a baton.

For my wife I bought a brand new LED MagLite 4D (no longer availabe AFAIK). That convinced me to change to LED with the old Maglite from the 1980s. The other night I accidentally took my wife's Maglite instead of mine and was suprised that the tube felt somehow different and I compared the 1980s Maglite with the 2010s. The tube seemed to be thinner. And it appeared that the wall strength of the old one was a little bit thicker.
I changed the bulb out on a couple Maglites, like this: https://www.amazon.com/EBLCL-Maglit...e+led+bulb&qid=1611056174&sr=8-6

Works great, big difference. There is a difference between the 2 cell bulb and the bulbs for the 3,4,5 cell bulbs. There are 2 packs of bulbs for around 15 bucks, makes it affordable.
Since I didn't know how well it would work, I too ordered a cheap set of bulbs from Amazon for my 2D and 3D Maglites, and it was definitely worth the conversion. Another advantage of the LED conversion is how much light you can get from weak batteries for closer distances like seeing where you're walking or doing something in the barn.
Looks like new Maglite 3Ds are under $35.
Candlepowerforums.

This is one of them I am looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/LED-Conversi...a1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

10'mag, Did you get one of those yet?

If not, you dang sure oughtta......
Got mine today and it is awesome. Lights up the cottonwoods in the meadow at 300 yards, and driveway reflectors past 600... Thanks!
Do they still crap out if you leave them for a time that you might need them instead of lovingly paying attention to them each day?
Park those Mags on the shelf, they're old technology and not worth the $ to run them, not even the LED conversion is worth it. IMO.

Get a good LED with a rechargeable 21700 battery for under $40 and call it a day. Brands to look at: Astrolux/Jetbeam/Acebeam/Sofirn/Convoy/Fenix/Lumintop/Mateminco/Nextorch/Olight/etc. You can order off of Amazon/Banggood/AliExpress.

https://budgetlightforum.com/forum

I ain't parking mine. It has outlasted every truck I've had since '77. Call me sentimental suzy.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
© 24hourcampfire