Home
The response's to Sam's 30/30 thread has me wondering if you feel safe shooting reloads of an unknow factor.
Generally no.
No I do not. I bought a gun from a guy and he wanted to give me about 60 of his "pet" loads for it and raise the price. I asked if I could just get the recipe. I don't trust other people I know how meticulous I am.
No

N O P E
There's only one guy that will load anything that I will put through a gun...............

DD

He also taught me to reload.

When it comes to protecting eyes, fingers and fine weapons he is about as anal as they come.................

and there's only two people that I will load for.....
No. I'm a distrustful sort.
In their rifles/guns, yes I do.
What Muffin said. In reverse.
Mine, my son's, and my son-in-law's are all I'll shoot.There are very few others I'd consider.
I'd shoot one good friend's reloads without too much fear. He's a smart and meticulous guy. Just some random dude's reloads? Hell no.
No.

Never......

In today's society, I quit loading for anybody as well.
i,d buy cheap reloads ,.knock apart use componants not powder well maybe in a campfire
Only the guy who taught me how to reload. He has been gone a while but I shot his reloads in several of his rifles over the years. Beyond that, no.
AKA factory ammo? Not very often. I don't trust them.
My hunting and shooting partner loads all of mine because he is more anal than I am, so I'm ok with that.
I do not, strange thing is others that know me ask to shoot mine all the time.

I let them shoot a couple while I am with them on the bench, that's it.

always concerned about liability.
If the ammo is free, yes.

If I have to pay for it....probably.
I bought a first run Smith M610 from a colleague a few years ago. It was the same gun I sold him in the early '90's. He is an avid gun guy and gave me 1600 rounds of his handloads with the purchase. I know him well and have zero issues shooting his handloads.
Nope

if they are 75 years old with coke bottle thick bifocals and hand tremors.....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I have a friend that lost his right eye shooting other peoples reloads n his rifle. No safety glasses...

I just started shooting a buddies 9mm reloads in what was formerly his gun. Other than that I would be very leery of other peoples reloads.
My late brother passed away in 2011. He was an avid reloader, and loaded for a number of cartridges. I helped his wife dispose of all the reloading supplies and ammo that he had. There were several thousand rounds of reloads, and every box was labeled as to what it was.....case, powder, primer, and bullet. He was careful, and meticulous when it came to reloading. I'm still shooting it to this day, and have yet to experience any problems whatsoever. Can't say that I'd shoot anyone else's. My son and his daughters have yet to kill a deer with a factory load, as I reload all their deer ammo.
When I was about 12, this was 1952, my Dad and I got interested in reloading. This was back when reloading was something new to most people and considered sort of exotic. Anyway, local gunsmith took us in his shop and taught us the basics. He pounded it into our heads that we should NEVER shoot anyone else's reloads and NEVER reload for someone else.

I have adhered strictly to this advice to this day and consider it as solid as the day I first heard it
Many years ago in anchorage, there was an indoor range called the firing line (some here may remember). Wife went there to shoot a cheap Rossi 357mag, believe it was a 971??

Anyways she bought some house reloads. For some reason she didn't grab any of our ammo anyways that handgun became a paperweight real fast. Luckily the gun didn't come apart but bent and bulged a few things.

I think this was the only time she didn't say anything as I'm chewing her ass.

No
NO.
No
I have before.
I don't shoot most other people's reloads 'cause I don't trust most other people to take the care that I do.
Hell no !!!

Neil
I’ll shoot my sons, and two brothers reloads, that’s all. Was offered nearly 1000 rounds of a friends .223 reloads after he died, from his wife. I passed as I’d seen him pierce lots of primers. That was 15 years ago. Today, I’d take them and dis assemble.
I shoot reloads by one man only other than me. He is just as anal as a Reload bench as I am.
After listening to some of the nonsense spewing out of people’s mouths in the gun/reloading store. No.
Nope. If I’m losing fingers or eyes I want to be the reason why.
I'll shoot someone's reloads if I've watched them reload or know them (and their work techniques) very, very well. And I make "reloads" for others, but it's usually part of a load workup after I've done the juju on a rifle, usually a rifle that should shoot better than it is. Biggest batch I've ever made is a little under 100 rounds, I don't reload just to reload, I'd rather cook up the formula for them and help THEM make their own (at my bench or theirs).

I shot one other guy's reloads as part of a diagnostic I was doing for another guy. Results were lousy out at the target and primers looked a bit flat, so it was only a couple groups, primers showed firm but not scary pressure. So, I pulled down a couple rounds, and sure enough, they were a half grain above book and were some other guy's "pet" that were in a box of 50, not developed for THAT rifle. So that kind of warned me off shooting anything "unknown." Pulled the rest, used the cases to do the usual workup, gave the package back saying "Don't shoot John Doe's reloads again. Make your own."

Known rifle, known loader, known load, sure. But any unknowns, no. Better to pull them down.
Don't, but I have one time.
Bought a gun second hand from a guy
that included 4 or 5 plastic boxes of reloads.
First chance I got to shoot I was alone at the
range with the owner that I'd known for a
few years. He sat down by me to watch me
shoot my new/used gun. The first one had
tremendous recoil and a big fireball. The
man said to shoot one more. Samey same
He said let me try one. Samey same.
He advised me to not use any more of that
ammo. I got back and called the previous
owner and loader of the ammo and asked
what was the load he had used. His reply
was " I dunno. . . whatever was maximum
in the book. . . maybe a little more. . ."
No I do not, no reason too as I load my own. In these Covid times I have 2 friends that needed hunting ammo so I loaded up some for them, told them they were far from max loads so sight your rifle in with them. And return my brass!
Nope.
I'll pull bullets and save components.

I've had "factory" ammo by small time producers that couldn't be trusted and am still in the process of pulling bullets on 1k plus 1980's Norma factory 10mm ammo with bullets seized up in many of the cartridges. Never got wet and was stored in dry conditions, but...

When I first started reloading I threw some double charges in a run of about 500 .45 acp rds. Found out when my 1911 blew the mag. base plate off and the guts fell out onto the ground after the second round. Figured out the charging bar on the Dillon would get a little sticky and not close up between charges. The lesson is driven home when you pull lots of bullets over several evenings of time. Better than blowing a gun apart and losing fingers, or worse.
Have.

My neighbor, I would shoot his like mine.
Even though I have seen him blow several cases.
Glock 27, mag would blow out on the ground, no damage.
Figured it out, and he ditched 700+ rounds likely to pop
at the smiley.

I laugh at everyone so certain theirs is absolutely, positively,
beyond any shadow, perfect.

[bleep] does, can, and will, happen.
But, I feel mine are less likely to blow than some one else's.
But complacency...

Good friend is meticulous, has loaded for 40 years and for a lot
of people.

Had a powder mistake and ruined to rifles for other guys.
I've purchased a few rounds from commercial reloaders with established business at gun shows but otherwise, no. I pick up reloads at estate sales and garage sales. I've pulled a few loads and weighed the powder and bullet weight.....more powder than any published source, any powder type for that bullet weight. Cannot trust handwritten label info on reload boxes. Perhaps ammo was moved from box to box. Maybe the reloader was distracted or had dementia.
Regardless, reloads by other people are pulled for the metal components and the powder fertilizes the garden.
I'll shoot mine, my son's (that I taught and he is meticulous) and from the guy who taught me, who is the most anal and knowledgeable reloader that I know. From anyone else I pull the bullet and use components.
Depends on who loaded them.

Generally i just pull the ones that folks give me.

Seems safer that way.
Nope and I only trust my own out of a lack of other options.
No.
Not nohow
© 24hourcampfire