Home
Damn it anyway I hate to borrow a horse.
Yes

I liked theirs better than mine.

Mine tried to kill me šŸ˜€
I hate a horse like that.

WTF did you do to piss it off???
I had a girlfriend that was into horses. She was crazier than schit. A buddy of mine sold her a one eyed gelding that was just as crazy as she was.
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
I had a girlfriend that was into horses. She was crazier than schit. A buddy of mine sold her a one eyed gelding that was just as crazy as she was.

Thatā€™s generally the case.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Practiced crackin their ass with my bull whip

But that was AFTER one of them tried to pile drive me leading them across a creek.

Beats walkin'. laugh
Of course. I wouldn't have one of my own.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Practiced crackin their ass with my bull whip

But that was AFTER one of them tried to pile drive me leading them across a creek.

I'm sorry...

lol
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Of course. I wouldn't have one of my own.

laffin

Kind of like a swimming pool!
Have never owned horses Iā€™ve always ridden others horses.

By no means an experienced horseman, just know enough to understand there is a massive amount I donā€™t know. I have enough time on horses over the years to get a glimpse into good horses, poor horses and crazy horses.

Most of my riding over the years was helping a buddy drive his cattle to or from summer range. There was always an adjustment period when using a different horse.

I can imagine how shocking that adjustment would be when you really know how to ride and have to use a horse other than your own.

How did you end up borrowing a horse Sam?
The gal I dated wouldnā€™t let me ride any of her horses until I read an equestrian book that was about 1 inch thick. Even tho I had owned and rode horses Growing up.
You want to piss her off just donā€™t hold the reins the way she thinks you should. She was easy to mess with!
I never did when I had my own, but I have a few times when someone loaned me theirs to pack out a deer way back in and on the wrong side of the mountain. At those times I sometimes fell on my knees and begged if that's what it took. No pride...loan me a ride...

Yes, occasionally.

For many years folks paid me to ride their horses in my time off from work.
No but I cut on them daily.
May need to - had to put down my best caballo, last week.
The lone "survivor" better stay healthy!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
No. I made a decision long ago that I no longer use any form of transportation that has a pulse and mind of itā€™s own. If HORSEVID 21 swept the earth and extincted the obstinate MFers tomorrow I would have a hearty laugh. Fuggem, Iā€™ll walk
Have on several occasions, and the odds were against me.
Every chance I get. I try to start out doing a quick figure eight and maybe ask for a lead change. The horse foolishly assumes I know more than I do and is happy to hit the trail rather than having a training session which I probably couldn't do anyway.
No, haven't ridden other peoples horses.

But I have tipped over others cows.
Not since I was a kid. Then bought my own. Then sold them and the 20 acre pasture and barn. Now it's 4 wheels or walking.
Originally Posted by slumlord
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

there was a girl in my kid's elementary school class who acted like a dog all day
Originally Posted by TheKid
No. I made a decision long ago that I no longer use any form of transportation that has a pulse and mind of itā€™s own. If HORSEVID 21 swept the earth and extincted the obstinate MFers tomorrow I would have a hearty laugh. Fuggem, Iā€™ll walk

Ha! She ain't no horse, but this crazy bitch tried to do me in back in September. If it wasn't for my expertly executed dismounting technique.....she woulda kilt me I do believe mad

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Pissed me off that I left this at home crazy

I have, but Shirley don't like to. Prefer the feel and sync of an old friend.
I don't get near them dangerous Sob's. Ain't no Mensa member but I got them smarts. Horses kill you quick.
My boys and I are fairly active in Ranch Sorting. Made a lot of friends in this sport, and we often trade horses for a bit while at shows. These ainā€™t your average horses though.
Originally Posted by Gristle

Just a little way of letting you know the britchen was too tight.
I hate it. Every family vacation my dad signs us up for a trail ride. When the wrangler asks who knows how to ride, the others point at me. Last time I ended up with a nag named TKO. This horse would throw it's head back when you asked it to go. Nearly hit me in the face, and I realized that the name stood for technical knock out. After the first time, I whacked it across the face with the reins and made it spin a dozen times. It was OK after that.
The only horses I ever rode were other peoples. Some were awesome. Ben , the mule , sucked, but the boss' wife insisted I put some miles on him. Two broken ribs later, I did! Hurts to this day!
I have, but as others have stated it ainā€™t anything like the horse you know.

Like women, theyā€™re all at least a lil bit crazy, some much more than others.

But mine was my crazy bitch & after we survived some rodeos early on in our relationship, we learned to get along mostly.

Still had a squabble occasionally, but we got along pretty damn well & put some happy miles behind us.
Gristle, I give you a 7 on your dismounting technique.

You lost points for lack of symmetry as you werenā€™t busted up on both sides. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
ya when needed but have had lots of my own, few real nice rides,

been stepped on, bucked off , dumped while mounting ,stepped off before he went over backwards, run over by one of my studs when he wanted a mare , he also picked me up by the belt when i was checking his back hoof and thru me 10 feet,,fun times.

norm
Not anymore
There's a reason why cowboys wear pistols .
Originally Posted by jimy
There's a reason why cowboys wear pistols .

Yep.

My great-uncle in Alberta was dragged by a horse more than once.

On one occasion, Great-Unc was being dragged and bouncing along the ground.

He used all five shots from his Colt Peacemaker to "persuade" his horse to stop - and the horse still ran for one or two hundred yards before expiring because of adrenaline.

I rode a horse once that tried to saw my right leg off by running along a barb wire fence, getting closer and closer.

No more horse riding in my future!

John

It beats walking.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Prefer the feel and sync of an old friend.

I think Sam meant 4 legged horses, iron.
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
The gal I dated wouldnā€™t let me ride any of her horses until I read an equestrian book that was about 1 inch thick. Even tho I had owned and rode horses Growing up.
You want to piss her off just donā€™t hold the reins the way she thinks you should. She was easy to PISS OFF

Some are that way.

Originally Posted by akasparky

May be, but the sheep herders guard dogs that came after our two mules didnā€™t help. My buddy ended up with 10 broken ribs and a popped lung. He got a helicopter ride to Grand Junction.
Yes - good experiences in older days. Never owned one and was fortunate to have generous friends. I did try to help them with theirs.
Riding made for good deer and elk hunts. Later came to a decision to quit horseback. Have not been up for quite some time.

Originally Posted by akasparky

May be, but the sheep herders guard dogs that came after our two mules didnā€™t help. My buddy ended up with 10 broken ribs and a popped lung. He got a helicopter ride to Grand Junction.

So there was more to the story.
Dogs and mules don't mix well with at all.

Stray dogs on occasion would wander into one of my pastures where I kept 10 mules, a dog had about a 75% chance of survival once it'd cross the fence line.

The mules would wait until a dog made it to the middle of the pasture then gang up like a bunch of thugs and move in for the kill.

Always worth stopping to watch the show, never seen the same dog try it twice.
A close friend has a horse business, with some fine trail Morgans. I got tired of him selling the ones I just got use to. So I bought into half of one of my favorite mares. He does all the care and gets the colts. Four years later Iā€™m pleased with the arrangement.
Of course, I ride nearly everyday.
Starting colts, rodeo stock, outfitter's stock.I rope.
I don't own a atv .
Gotta tell this story -

My girls had horses growing up, one was a big old White American Saddle-bred,
the old boy was about 1200#'s. They rode their horses almost everyday. Everybody
in the neighborhood was familiar with the girls and the horses.

Just down the road lived a local church minister, younger guy. He owned nothing,
borrowed everything. Well, on second thought he did own a wheelbarrow.

Come home from work a little early one afternoon, grabbed my orange gear
and a Browning Abolt Stainless stalker in 06, headed for the river, didn't notice
the horse was gone. Until I crossed the fence in the back pasture, there was the
horse and on him sat the preacher. When he saw me, he panicked and the horse
bolted, he sort of jumped or fell off, I am not sure. He knew who I was, started
screaming at me for carrying a gun, wanted to know what the hell was going on.

Made sure he understood, stealing horses was a hanging offense [joking of course]
and hunting season for deer was open, he at least should have an article of orange on.
And by the way he was OK, as of yet there was no open season on preachers.
© 24hourcampfire