Home
Posted By: gunzo Shotgun shells out of stock - 01/21/21
Not just slugs, buck, the badassed defense stuff. But normal everyday target & small game loads.

No way I would have predicted a cheap shotshell shortage. Or the 30-30 shortage.

Good gosh, WTF is wrong with people? My ideas of self reliance could have never been forward thinking enough to imagine this BS.
Posted By: EdM Re: Shotgun shells out of stock - 01/21/21
I picked up a case of 16's two days ago @ $8/box.
They're available here and there but are not always easy to find. I recently ordered some 12 GA 7 1/2's from Natchez. Ammo Seek had nothing reasonable listed.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Shotgun shells out of stock - 01/21/21
Oh I 've got more than my lifetimes supply of average shotgun shooting components, & a couple of Mec 9000's that make loading a joy. That's me.

Just surprised at anther shortage I've never seen before.
There are a couple of places around here where I can get all the 12 and 20 gauge target loads I want for $7.99/box, 10% off on a flat of 10 boxes.
Never freakin mind. I might sneak up on some tomorrow, & my brother in law might find some in Florida, but as a whole, or on an national level they are scarce. Not trying to start a panic. They are a bit scarce. That's all.
It tried to sell 00 Buckshot here for a song... A fraction of what it was going for over a year ago.

8 cases.

No takers.

Reckon I could sell that now? grin

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ga-00-buckshot-ftf-in-texas#Post14424251
Originally Posted by gunzo
Not just slugs, buck, the badassed defense stuff. But normal everyday target & small game loads.

No way I would have predicted a cheap shotshell shortage. Or the 30-30 shortage.

Good gosh, WTF is wrong with people? My ideas of self reliance could have never been forward thinking enough to imagine this BS.

When people could no longer get ARs, they went for the shotguns and the .30-30 lever guns, thus the shortage of ammo.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Shotgun shells out of stock - 01/21/21
Oh I 've got more than my lifetimes supply of average shotgun shooting components, & a couple of Mec 9000's that make loading a joy. That's me.

Just surprised at anther shortage I've never seen before.

The second amendment showing some teeth.

I've got some 3.5" 00 buck 12's
I’m not a soothsayer but fugg,
even I seen that coming M-O-N-T-H-S ago
Anybody shot any estate brand 00 buck? Looks like low brass to me.
The brass height doesn’t matter. Estate is the economy stuff but goes boom as far as I know.
I always thought brass height was proportionate to amount of powder. All game loads have high brass. Target loads are low brass. Am I looking at this wrong?
Posted By: dale06 Re: Shotgun shells out of stock - 01/21/21
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
I always thought brass height was proportionate to amount of powder. All game loads have high brass. Target loads are low brass. Am I looking at this wrong?

Yes you are looking at it wrong. Brass height has nothing to do with amount of powder.
8 lbs powder, case of primers, wads aplenty, 100lb of shot, 2 trash bags of shells, and 4 reloaders...... I's gots shotgun shells, I's just gots to load'em..

Caught wally-world clearance on buckshot a couple years back.... 100 rds of 00 buckshot for $20.

But my rifle reloading supplies are very low. cry

Rednecks like shiny things 😂
I just bought a case of 12 gauge game loads at Walmart $22

Originally Posted by rockinbbar
It tried to sell 00 Buckshot here for a song... A fraction of what it was going for over a year ago.

8 cases.

No takers.

Barry, try gunbroker with a case to see what happens...... be sure to put a shipping price on it.

used to be the rule. still is somewhat but not always. gotta look at the shot and powder weight and then try to figure out wtf a dram is.
\

That use to be the case..... not any more. I got some 2 3/4", low brass, 12ga, 7 1/2's, 1 1/8 oz shot, 1220 velocity. That is not the highest loads but next to it.
LGS had pallets of shotgun shells yesterday when I was there.
No worries. I was at Walmart awhile ago and they had several boxes of shotgun shells. 28 Ga.
Originally Posted by Aviator

That’s almost a pics or it didnt happen, receipt
He's prolly talking about the 4 pack of federal shells.
Been casting my own number 1 buck for years.

My brother has used them in MS and has shot about 8 deer so far.

It is a little more work to cast your own but the ones i make are harder than factory stuff.

I am also set up to load my own bird shot shells.12,20 and 16 gauge.
Steel waterfowl ( smaller sizes ) and some lead clay stuff, all we have around here, and not much of it
This boomer has seen S&W shortages, Ruger shortages. AR shortages. Primer, powder, 223 & 9mm shortages, toilet paper shortages. High cap mag shortages.

But cheap birdshot 12's is damn sure a new one on me.

Cheap 12 ga. shells scarce, but AR's & 30 round mags still abundant. It's just weirder than any so far.
Posted By: dubePA Re: Shotgun shells out of stock - 01/21/21
At local Wallys this morning. Usually 100 packs of 12ga Fed game/trap loads for $21, in abundance. Not today. Clerk said they got some in last week, gone in one day. I usually have two or three on hand, in case I get an urge to shoot a round of trap now and then..

For that matter, not one round of any sort of ammo in stock. I asked.
Originally Posted by slumlord

He might be thinking those 100 rd/4 boxes fed or win 1 oz bulky packs for the term case????
I aint hit the morning opening time at walmart looking for ammo.

I need ta go see what is going on.
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
LGS had pallets of shotgun shells yesterday when I was there.

Yep My LGS has everything except .410’s.

A couple of newbies came in while I was there and said Academy and Walmart were sold out all ammo. Including shotgun shells.
Posted By: dubePA Re: Shotgun shells out of stock - 01/21/21
Winchester 100 packs are 1 oz at 1180 fps. The Feds are 1-1/8 oz at 1200, both in #8 shot. I have some of each.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

When people could no longer get ARs, they went for the shotguns and the .30-30 lever guns, thus the shortage of ammo.

Yep.

8 cases.

No takers.

I’m guessing the only reason it didn’t sell was that you wouldn’t ship. Heck of a deal though...
I've seen gasoline, natural gas, & liquified petroleum gas shortages. Tire, oil, & battery shortages. During the bugger winters of 78 & 79 we had 4x4 truck & tire chain shortages. 6 or 8 years ago there was a potential Bourbon shortage.

But low grade shot shells??
Originally Posted by gutthooked
He's prolly talking about the 4 pack of federal shells.

Then we call those a fridge pack

Look like a 12ver of colas

makes sense now
Originally Posted by renegade50
I aint hit the morning opening time at walmart looking for ammo.

I need ta go see what is going on.

Call me in the morning tell me if they have anything.

I will attend to that immediate issue you told me about. Top secret mission till it’s executed.
Slummy, you know you got a cousin what works at the Wall Mart. All you gotta do is drop a dime, er, I mean a quarter & call cousin. Git whammo de ammo before it hits the shelves, 10% off too.

8 cases.

No takers.

Bumped ya!
Slummy, you know you got a cousin what works at the Wall Mart. All you gotta do is drop a dime, er, I mean a quarter & call cousin. Git whammo de ammo before it hits the shelves, 10% off too.

I have a nephew-in-law

not a cousin

And oh yeah...he works in the back. 👍👏🏻🙏🏼🤪
There'll be 3 guys calendarlly challenged who'll call it the buy of the day!

Brass height is a throwback to the paper hull era when heavy game loads could burn pinholes into the paper hulls. These days it really means nothing.

I've bought 2 Federal 100 pack 20 gauge packs at Walmart in the last week for that. I bought a 100 pack of AA 20 gauge there for $29 and just lucked into 2 boxes of stingers there for about $6.83/50.

I'm pretty well stocked on 12 gauge but the kids are starting to shoot a lot of 20 gauge so I've picked a bit more of it up lately. Plus I picked up a Tac14 in 20 last year too.

Bb
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Shotgun shells out of stock - 01/21/21
I just hit Walmart for some stuff I needed and went by the gun section after reading this thread this morning.
They had one 4 pack of 12 ga. target shells, which I bought, one 4 pack of 20 ga. target shells, which I bought, and 5 boxes of 16 ga. which I didn't need. The 4 packs were $22 and change ea.
They had plenty of bulk 300 round boxes of Meat Eater .22 Mini Mags for about $44 a pack.
I saw a guy at Walmart yesterday with a shopping cart full of 12 gauge Winchester AA's.
Believe or not, I was in a pawn shop in 2019 and the owner asked me if I wanted some boxes of 12 gauge target loads that had been laying around in the store for too long. He gave me three boxes (I think it was 7.5), and he asked if I wanted some 20 gauge, too. For some reason, I forgot that I actually own one 20 gauge shotgun, and said no thanks. Then he asked someone else in the store if he wanted the 20 gauge, and he took them (when I got into the car, I remembered that I had a 20 gauge, and smacked my forehead for not taking the shells). I shot a bunch of the 12 at water bottles. Still have some. But that's how little that stuff was valued back then.

I have a nephew-in-law

not a cousin

And oh yeah...he works in the back. 👍👏🏻🙏🏼🤪

Slummy is really one of the Walton family in real life. He owns Walmart! 😜
No no no

Me and SaddleFred-Bob “have not stepped foot in dang-blasted walfart in 30 years”

Now where’s my medal of achievement for such dedication and braggartdom ?
No no no

Me and SaddleFred-Bob “have not stepped foot in dang-blasted walfart in 30 years”

Now where’s my medal of achievement for such dedication and braggartdom ?

LOL ! I couldn’t resist goading you! 🤠
This boomer has seen S&W shortages, Ruger shortages. AR shortages. Primer, powder, 223 & 9mm shortages, toilet paper shortages. High cap mag shortages.

But cheap birdshot 12's is damn sure a new one on me.

Cheap 12 ga. shells scarce, but AR's & 30 round mags still abundant. It's just weirder than any so far.

I'm sure that AR mags will be gone in the very near future. I'm already starting to see them dry up around here

It's called "marketing", high brass gotta be more powder, right? Nope, if you look at the shotshell reloading books, you soon realize that the construction of the hulls is the important thing, Hulls like Winchester AAs and Remington STS can be loaded to "Maaaaaggnnnummmm" loads better than the high brass stuff. It's all marketing and hokum/balderdash that you need high brass hulls to load real loads.

I've got four flats of AA cases loaded to the specs of the old Duck and Pheasant (3 3/4de 1 1/4oz) loads, and they work just fine.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

It's called "marketing", high brass gotta be more powder, right? Nope, if you look at the shotshell reloading books, you soon realize that the construction of the hulls is the important thing, Hulls like Winchester AAs and Remington STS can be loaded to "Maaaaaggnnnummmm" loads better than the high brass stuff. It's all marketing and hokum/balderdash that you need high brass hulls to load real loads.

I've got four flats of AA cases loaded to the specs of the old Duck and Pheasant (3 3/4de 1 1/4oz) loads, and they work just fine.

Yep!
Posted By: coobie Re: Shotgun shells out of stock - 01/21/21
I just purchased 12 ga. 00 buck shot from BUDS guns in KY.They also had slugs on hand at reasonable prices..
Been having slim luck finding .410 shells, but lots of 12, 20, and 28 guage shells around here, in Oregon.

Virgil B.
Posted By: 5spd Re: Shotgun shells out of stock - 01/21/21
Plenty shotshells here, slugs as well but not in big quantities.
Just need to know the right stores that Every one and his sister don't go to.
Regular prices, 5 pack slugs as of this am was still bout $14.
Shotshells 7.99 field loads
"ammo" of ANY kind OOS?

Damn........when did this start happening?
I stopped by a store in a nearby town yesterday. They are famous for having a large stock of ammunition and firearms. They had about 10 rifles and 6 boxes of 6.5 Swede ammo in 140 Win. PP. That's it. They used to have hundreds of boxes on display and cases in the back. Absolutely no primers or powder. They did have 8 or 10 small boxes of 12 gauge turkey loads. That's about it.
Posted By: tzone Re: Shotgun shells out of stock - 01/21/21

That's not a case. That's a 5 box set. I did the same thing.
Posted By: tzone Re: Shotgun shells out of stock - 01/21/21
Just for schitts and giggles I swing by the LGS on the way home. I picked up 2 boxes of 12ga 71/2 shot. 4 boxes of 12ga #6. All Federal. But they and Winchester too. They’re was tons of turkey loads but I have enough turkey loads to last a lifetime for 2 of us probably.
My goal for 12 gauge now that deer season is over and I can hit wally worlds , academy , rural king , midsouth, and 1 lgs that dont scalp.

Is to hit the 1 k mark
Currently at 300.

100 rd fridge pack 22 to 30 bucks
Preferably Win AA super sporting clays # 8,s.

Build up more of a stash before jo and the ho put a huge fed tax on all ammo.
7.5 stuff in 12 locally.
Dove stuff IMHO.
Think a low brass 5 would be ideal for bunnies, in a 20.
No likey use 12 on rabbits
Posted By: gunzo Re: Shotgun shells out of stock - 01/22/21
OK guys, take heed or remain ignorant.

Boomer 101

In the 1970's when I started shooting shotguns on a regular basis, hanging out at gun shops etc., learning the lingo.
A case of shotshells was 20 boxes that held 25 shells each. That's 500 shells to the case

Then in the 80's they started selling 10 boxes to a carton, called a flat. That's 250 shells to the flat.

The 90's? enter Wally World. The 4 pack arrived. Duh, 100.

Good gosh, having to splain packaging to gen x,y,z.

Oh yeah, never bought a pallet of shotshells when it was cases. But did when they called them flats. 80 flats to a pallet. 20K(just thought I'd throw in the K word for them millennials)
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Shotgun shells out of stock - 01/22/21
Just picked up 4 boxes of AAs and a couple hundred .22s at wallyworld. Normal prices. Would have got more but didn’t want to carry them. Save some for the next guy I guess.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Shotgun shells out of stock - 01/22/21
Was in the local walmarts a couple hours ago. Saw a guy carrying out two boxes of shotgun shells. Last two boxes. No ammo of any kind on the shelves. Only about five long guns in the rack.
If you think that’s bad I was in a store that was even sold out of pellet gun pellets. Unbelievable.
Ordered 2 flats of dove shells a couple of months ago. Glad I did.
Guess I’ll gas up the Goldwing trike and try to go find some.

A box of shotgun shells ought a last a man 20 years.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Shotgun shells out of stock - 01/22/21
You gotsta put down them veenie wienies and shoot at those doves.
It's not just a social.
Posted By: viking Re: Shotgun shells out of stock - 01/22/21
Bump up.

I was looking for dies at midway for my 6.5-300, OOS. Geez I didn’t realize it was that popular.

This is ridiculous.
© 24hourcampfire