Home
Posted By: ridgerunner_ky North Woods Law - 01/21/21
Been watching this show. Talk about douche game wardens.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
yup watch it once in a while.
Posted By: Dennis81082 Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky

This ^^^^
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
PHAGGGS !!
Posted By: JeffyD Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
EVERY hunter in or fisherman they encounter is up to no good! They never portray sportsmen in a positive way. Not a good thing, since most of their viewers are not outdoor types.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21

Yeah, for sure.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
Originally Posted by JeffyD
EVERY hunter in or fisherman they encounter is up to no good! They never portray sportsmen in a positive way. Not a good thing, since most of their viewers are not outdoor types.

Hollyweirds don't hunt or fish.
Posted By: GaryLL1959 Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21

Typical Yankee mentality
Posted By: bluefish Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
Since I'm a Yankee why dont you explain a little further good ole boy.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
EVERY hunter in or fisherman they encounter is up to no good! They never portray sportsmen in a positive way.

I agree 100% and it's a big problem. I will say most law enforcement view most citizens as a problem until it is proven otherwise, just the nature of the job and what they deal with.
Posted By: tbear99 Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
I watch once in a while
Posted By: smokepole Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21

Same with the "survival" shows. Real life is too boring for TV, no entertainment value in it.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
As in all reality shows, most of it is staged. While I'm sure that a lot of people do break the law, it seems like every hunter or fisherman they check is doing something wrong. I find that hard to believe.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
Originally Posted by 12344mag
EVERY hunter in or fisherman they encounter is up to no good! They never portray sportsmen in a positive way.

I agree 100% and it's a big problem. I will say most law enforcement view most citizens as a problem until it is proven otherwise, just the nature of the job and what they deal with.

I was good friends with a local game warden.He and my daughter had attended school together, and I was his mail carrier. He once told me that everybody was doing something wrong, and his job was to catch them at it. I believe he would have given his mother a ticket a running over a rabbit out of season.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
Originally Posted by JamesJr
As in all reality shows, most of it is staged.

Reality TV is like jumbo shrimp or spare cash.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
Originally Posted by smokepole

Same with the "survival" shows. Real life is too boring for TV, no entertainment value in it.

Maybe portraying outdoor types as evil is one of the points of these shows. shocked
Posted By: kkahmann Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
If it weren’t for illegal search and seizure would they get any convictions?
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
A lot of that show has to do with the insane laws they have up there as it pertains to wildlife and hunting. Want an example?

One show I watched Johnny Green Pants ring up a teenager after a successful bow hunt. The poor kid was devastated. The perps “crime”? The law required the damn bow AND each arrow (each arrow!) to have the owner’s name and address labeled on them! Do what? He had just purchased the outfit and was chomping at the bit to enjoy his purchase.I’ll agree with everyone who responds with the “ignorance of the law is no excuse angle” but stupid nit picky laws like that are idiotic. Given the situation, I thought a warning would have been enough but oh no....that kid needed to be taught a lesson! I have never heard of any states that require that.

I also can’t tell you the number of times I’ve heard Johnny say “Well, he checked out ok....but something told me he was up ta no good. I’ll be keepin my eyes on him from heah on out!” Dear Lord...what a Hollywood moment.
Posted By: JD338 Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
I just saw an episode where a Canadian moose hunter shot a bull with a bow and it ran into the US. They recovered the bull and the fish cops seemed bummed out because it was all legal so they couldn't write tickets and arrested anyone.
Side note- why would someone hunt that close to a boarder?

JD338
"Wardens" on the Outdoor Network (I think), uses a more balanced approach. Not every sportsman is portrayed as an outlaw, and it often highlights hunter ed programs, re-stocking efforts, and other such conservation work. And the wardens do cut someone a break if he unknowingly commits a minor infraction.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
Lone Star Law is one of those shows based in Texas. So far, at least, it's been fairly balanced and straight forward, if not a little too "nice" at times. The older wardens seem to be the most lenient, though, the younger guys seem to have something to prove.
Posted By: Raeford Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
How quickly "COPS" is forgotten.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
The older wardens seem to be the most lenient, though, the younger guys seem to have something to prove.

That's law enforcement in general. (With a few exceptions on both sides)

I do agree that if that show portrays truly how those wardens act, they are douche bags.
Posted By: hookeye Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
Evidently the people in the North Woods are idiots
Some are hunting and fishing, and some are hired to ticket them.
In my dealings w COs here, the older ones have some common sense, the young ones are possum rambos.

It was funny when one tried to nail me during a dove hunt
Bud and I hunt together so had birds in same cooler.
I was running a video camera and taking care of the dog.

Warden asks how many, we told him, he opened the cooler and the number was correct. I had already limited out so he was trying to nail me for continued hunting.

Told him repeatedly i had limited out.

So I had to take him to my blind 50 yards down and show him my empty gun that was in the case ( all my chit was packed up ).

Yeah buddy, told ya I was friggin done. Birds flying good for everybody else, was not gonna walk through their area lugging my crap way back to vehicle.

Posted By: Teal Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
The problem is - and this applies to both fish and people cops - is we've gone away from "peace officer" whose job it was to simply keep the peace and generally keep things going to "law enforcement" - which means make sure everyone lines up in their box and conforms.
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
You should never provide any information to police on any kind. Game wardens included. You must not answer questions and make it plain to the officer that all 1sr, 3rd, 4th, and 5th amendment rights are yours and you do not give consent. Provide minimum information, I.e. license and DL, hunting license info, but no other data or info. Any thing can and will be held against you at any time. Keep your damm mouth shut at all times.
We had a cool young new CO in my home county.
Had to call him on some stuff going on in our deer woods.
Good guy. Level headed.

So you know, he transferred.

New guy is a bit different, checked me for a doe tag a yr ago. Told him who we were, the crap thats gone on, where the trouble comes from....and aint seen him since.

Will call him first trail cam pic of neighbor dumbazz.

Posted By: catosilvaje Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
Saw one show where they pulled their guns on a fella that had a crappie 1/4" too short. Bunch of idiots with guns and badges.
In fairness, I've got to say that in 50 years of hunting and fishing, I've only encountered CO's in the field 3 or 4 times. All were positive experiences.
OTOH, while deer hunting out-of-state, I was once suspected of being a CO by some locals. Maybe because of short hair and being clean shaved? My only guess.
Ran into one in the mountains of colorado.
Dude was super cool.

Poachers cleaned out a hot spot near me, we yote hunted it after deer season. Got checked twice. The deer and turkey were shot out by the time they did patrols. Economy took a dump then and I figured locals filled their freezers. CO was decent enough, just late to the party....which we pointed out.

Had one jerk local, short dude. He was forced to retire. His antics made the paper.
Been checked once bowfishing, twice dove hunting, twice yote hunting, four times deer hunting and once elk hunting.

Everything fine. They got a job to do, no big deal.

When you hunt 5 or 6 diff counties your odds go up on CO interaction I reckon. Non local.gets you noticed.
Local sherriff is cool.
Deer got hit down the road from our hunting spot, came down and asked us if we could get it out of peoples yard.
Wrote a tag for it.......free straps for minimal work.

Sweet ( only good stuff left on that poor deer ).

Two way street usually, interaction.

Most of the CO/LE stuff is a fishing expedition.
But when they realize youre not stupid, know the game.....and everything checks out

.....they know they need to fish elsewhere from then on.

I dunno how realistic....but watching NWL
...why do so many people drive out to state land to get high?

The meth and needles.....that big a prob up there?

Damn. If youre gonna be in the woods/ water....shouldnt you be fishing or hunting?

Stay the hell home if you wanna be fugged up
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
Originally Posted by Raeford

Game wardens only harass White people. I seen it right there on teevee.
They dart the non whites LMFAO
Posted By: stxhunter Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
My buddy I duck hunt and fish with is a guide and runs 2 major pro fishing tournament series here in Tx and La. Game wardens don't hassle him or his clients, in return he turns in people running illegal gill nets and trotlines because nothing goes on out there that he doesn't hear about through connections.

One of the wardens use to come over to his house and have a few beers with us after work, maybe even take a couple of hits of a joint, my Buddy smokes. We would be out hunting and my buddy would call him up and ask him can you run your boat that big raft of ducks at so and so and put them for us.
Posted By: KFWA Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
I'll watch it if I am scanning the channels and its on

Mostly for the scenery
Posted By: Chisos Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21
Originally Posted by Raeford

Haven't forgotten them nor Live PD. The only thing I've forgotten is to watch A&E.
Posted By: joken2 Re: North Woods Law - 01/21/21

Don't know how it is in the rest of the states but from all I've read KY F&G field wardens are small in numbers but have a bunch of territory to cover.

Also, don't know if their pay has improved but a few years ago I read an article stating that in some states those in entry level positions and had dependents often qualified for food stamps and other welfare assistance programs.

Several years back I stopped in at a local convenience store right at dark and encountered a group of young warden trainees all in a tizzy trying to buy 6 volt batteries for their lanterns. The store didn't stock 6 volt batteries so they were even asking customers if they had any they would sell. From what I could gather they were hoping to bust some coon hunters they were told were illegally doing something out of season but apparently they forgot to make sure they had batteries for their lanterns.

I've only been checked twice that I can recall, once while fishing with wife and kids and before that had two stop their vehicle and checked my license and tag upon seeing me dressing out a deer in the back yard. Apparently that's how they did their checking during opening weekend as I saw them doing the same around town several times later that day.

The time we were fishing was interesting in that as the F&G warden checked us he noticed a couple of rough looking dudes and a equally rough looking woman who had been fishing a little ways up from us all of a sudden drop their fishing poles and walked briskly off to an old, shabby motor home, leaving all their tackle behind laying on the lake bank. Game warden said, "now that's really odd..." Last we saw was he was headed that way. From the suspicious way they acted my guess was no fishing licenses was the very least of their concerns.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: North Woods Law - 01/22/21
GWs are like other people. Some good, some bad, and some in between. We used to have a bad one here. He tried to manufacture violations on everyone he came across. He got Turkey officer of the year one year then got busted the next year in a neighboring state turkey hunting without a liscence. They moved him out of the field.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: North Woods Law - 01/22/21
In a show like that, they aren't going to show the many "checked with no violation" interactions. No drama there. It'd be like filming all the people who don't get speeding tickets. Boring.

So...it's real, but it isn't a fair picture. Most of the time in the duty life of a cop or GW, nothing at all happens.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: North Woods Law - 01/22/21

There are good ones and bad ones.

When they let anti-hunters join the ranks things go wrong fast.
Posted By: Lslite Re: North Woods Law - 01/22/21
In a lifetime of being outdoors,almost all Texas wardens and DPS troopers I've dealt with have been very professional and courteous.There have been a few aholes,but few and far between.
Posted By: hookeye Re: North Woods Law - 01/22/21
My dad was a hunters ed instructor. COs help w the class too. And we have an uncommon last name.

None made the connection til I mention it.
Indirectly.

Ill ask about classes, theyll tell me they just had one and ask of they slapped the chit out of that one fat bastard LOL.

Good laughs after.

Tried to help a new one that came into gunshop I was working. He had screwed up and i mentioned he needed his depts metrology dept to certify any measuring device.
He said he didnt need to.

Yeah right. Dipstick was using an index card w a graphic to check for PCR cartridge length. And had never measured the graphic on the card, had hassled a customer ( who was legal ) in the field.

Card was wrong. So he got dial calipers. He didnt think they needed certified. Want to play the game of thousandths, do it right. Yeeesh
Posted By: Teal Re: North Woods Law - 01/22/21
I've learned to never trust anyone in a badge while wearing it. LEO, Fire, or CCW holder permit.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: North Woods Law - 01/22/21
Never had any trouble with the possum cops, I always had my chit together. Lots of times I'd run into the same guy several times, they just stop and shoot the chit some.
Posted By: Bob_H_in_NH Re: North Woods Law - 01/22/21

I did years of hunting in NH before moving west. I've run into several COs and all were fine. checked licenses, then chatted. Only one in the "Field" was fishing, trolling with my son. They pulled along side, told us to keep going just doing a license check, so didn't have to stop, pull in lines etc. Showed my license, showed the stringer and off they went.

Pheasant hunting is all stocked birds so VERY common to run into them in the parking lot there, never ran into one in the field, saw one checking others, but never directly ran int othem

Deer hunting up north, only time we've seen them is at the truck end of the day. Quick license checks, only funny part is it was me, cousins, uncles and my Dad. 3 different states represented. Three of us had NH licenses and they asked to see more ID to make sure we lived there, all same last name!

They've always been great. I would imagine the "temperature" of the interaction is really in your hands in how you respond.
Posted By: gunzo Re: North Woods Law - 01/22/21
North Woods law has been on my screen twice. The first time I wanted to see the scenery, but a lot BS was going on with it. Second time I watched for about 5 minutes. No more.

Barney Fife MF's.
© 24hourcampfire