Home
Posted By: Teal Wisco Friday night (and music) - 01/22/21
Pretty much standard for WI.

Pan fried walleye, baby reds, rye bread and an Amber ale from a local brewery.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Tunes too....

And provided you are at least 5 miles outside of Dane or Milwaukee Counties you probably got to enjoy the meal. Mask off and probably in good company.
Where's the cole slaw?
Originally Posted by westside_benny
And provided you are at least 5 miles outside of Dane or Milwaukee Counties you probably got to enjoy the meal. Mask off and probably in good company.

Yep. 2 hours N in Green Bay. No mask, no bs.
Originally Posted by prplbkrr
Where's the cole slaw?

Well.....

It's the one thing that wasn't good. Not like grandma made. Didn't bother to list it because of that.

Top round container.
I do enjoy the walleye, but if they are offering "all you can eat" perch, that's what I'm gettin'.

Was in Wy. during a previous life. Me an' 4 buds trot into the local restaurant on Fri. night. Ask if they have an "all you can eat" fish fry.

Waitress looked at us like we were retards. We didn't realize that Fri. fish fry was a Wi/Minn thing.
I'm a fan of perch too but they do the walleye pretty well here.

I also happen to like this "fish" - best legs in the blues....

From what I've seen, it's mostly Baptists, methodists with a splash of mormons that away. No need for fish on Friday.
Wisconsin Friday night fish Fry. Staple of American life. Jo Jos or reds?

thanks for sharing
Looks good. I miss Wisconsin

When I partake, my Friday night fish fry staple is beer battered deep fried cod, with extra tartar sauce, french fries, and cole slaw.

Mmmmmmmmm.
We miss Walleye fish fry on Fridays. The American Legion is across from my backyard and we always did carry outs there. Evers made sure they couldn’t do any more so they quit for the cold season.

2 big fried Walleye fillets, baked potato or French fries, dinner roll, cole slaw, cookie. $10.
Pattys Platter in Beecher -2 big Fried Walleye filets ,cole slaw,beans,choice of French fries or potato pancakes .Its not an all you can eat buffet,but it is all you can eat!!
Yep, walleye are good, but yellow perch are better. Wife and I each did four butterflied fillets, coleslaw, rye bread, baby red potatoes and a beer last night. Note: that "butterfly" joined in the middle is very important to be getting a true yellow perch. If the fillets are separate when you order "perch" you are very likely getting an ocean perch called a zander. Good, but not as good as a yellow perch.

Huntz, been frequenting that place since 1957 back when it was Mel's Diner. Then Mary's place about forever and Patty's Place now. Had a place on Beecher Lake and that place was really handy.
http://www.wendtsonthelake.com/
Samantha Fish is nice looking!!!
Originally Posted by Windfall
Yep, walleye are good, but yellow perch are better. Wife and I each did four butterflied fillets, coleslaw, rye bread, baby red potatoes and a beer last night. Note: that "butterfly" joined in the middle is very important to be getting a true yellow perch. If the fillets are separate when you order "perch" you are very likely getting an ocean perch called a zander. Good, but not as good as a yellow perch.

Huntz, been frequenting that place since 1957 back when it was Mel's Diner. Then Mary's place about forever and Patty's Place now. Had a place on Beecher Lake and that place was really handy.

It was Lils place for a long time and then Marys place.You must remember Billy Walker`s Place on the Pike River and Hwy K.The best Manhattans and food around.I miss Billy.
Right you are. I forgot about Lil's in there. Mel didn't last long, because you'd best polish your silverware or risk what was still lurking on there. Yep, had the deer pen out back of the gas station right on the river. Hunted the Black Sam for years back in your neck of the woods.
Seems like blue gill is getting more and more popular For fish fries and it doesn’t suck plus you have to have Potatoes pancakes and applesauce.
Originally Posted by Windfall
Right you are. I forgot about Lil's in there. Mel didn't last long, because you'd best polish your silverware or risk what was still lurking on there. Yep, had the deer pen out back of the gas station right on the river. Hunted the Black Sam for years back in your neck of the woods.

I live right off of Black Sam Rd.
My in-laws had a place on Beecher Lake until about 2 years ago.I miss being able to walk out their door and fish the North Branch of the Pike River. And the bluegills in Beecher Lake were huge. Mary’s Place was an occasional stop and we still visit the area to see friends at Rocque’s 8-Hi.

There are so many places with top notch fish fries around here but we still like to make the hour long trip north to places in that area. One of the trips I plan to see if the chicken dinners at Richard’s are still worth the drive.
Originally Posted by johnm856
My in-laws had a place on Beecher Lake until about 2 years ago.I miss being able to walk out their door and fish the North Branch of the Pike River. And the bluegills in Beecher Lake were huge. Mary’s Place was an occasional stop and we still visit the area to see friends at Rocque’s 8-Hi.

There are so many places with top notch fish fries around here but we still like to make the hour long trip north to places in that area. One of the trips I plan to see if the chicken dinners at Richard’s are still worth the drive.

Richards has been bought and sold a few times in the last few years.I have not been in to eat there in a while.We used to go to Schaefers on the Peshtigo river for chicken on Hwy W out of Crivitz.They burned down a few years ago.
Originally Posted by aalf

I try to get to Wendt's a couple times a year. We normally hit the Old Grogg here on the North end of the lake.
The Richards that I remember with the best memories was before they added on the dining room. Just a few tables in the bar area with those red and white checkerboard plastic table cloths and outstanding broasted chicken. That big 12 point mount on the south wall was a nice touch too. Trout Haven by 12 Foot Falls was a favorite too.

Johnm856, I never saw anyone fish the north branch, but that’s probably why you did. I sold out of there about two years back myself. I miss the area, but not the work and the property taxes.
Huntz,

Schaefer’s was a regular trip for us. It is missed, but Hilltop and Country Inn (if still open) are excellent replacements.

Windfall,

North branch was tough fishing with even a 6’ fly rod but the fish were there and the people weren’t. Had great times on the rivers and. Beecher Lake
The only thing I’d swap out there is an Old Fashion for that beer. But only on Friday night. smile
There is so many good places that serve fish fries on Friday, it is difficult to pick the best. Close to home is the Spring Lake Inn north of Prairie du Chien, WI at the junction of Hwy 35 and County Road N. They have the usual fried cod and I like to change up once in a while with the fried catfish or "poor Man's lobster" baked cod. Oh, and it comes with a relish tray for the table.

When we visit relatives south of Madison Wi Fib's North at Brodhead, WI is a favorite. All you can eat walleye, crappies or bluegills.

Then there are the famous smelt feeds in Wisconsin. NoNo's Supper Club on Hwy 33 West Bend, WI is all you can eat.
Please, try the fish...

Sound good Wayne.
Originally Posted by hanco
Samantha Fish is nice looking!!!

She's gonna mess around and become my next ex-wife...
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Sound good Wayne.
Burp!
laugh
laugh
© 24hourcampfire