Home
Posted By: Irving_D Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
I don't need another useless kitchen gadget but I have been seeingsome positive reviews of these things. Any input?
Posted By: hanco Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
Nay
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
It's good for one or two people, does things like french fries, chicken breasts, shrimp, tater tots, etc. well. Broccoli and other vegetables are good out of them. Tradeoff is, another gadget to clean and store.
Posted By: Anaconda Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
I have had one for three days.
So far, frozen breaded things that we used to put in the oven cook much faster and taste much better.
Eggrolls
Battered fish.
Spanakopita
Tonight - breaded shrimp & chicken nuggets
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
The one we have was the largest we could find at the time. Works great, but to small to be practical. Most times we would have to make two batches of whatever for just the wife and I. If you get one make sure its big enough to do what you want.
Yay. Mainly use mine for wings, also chicken strips, fries, etc. way easier and cleaner than the deep fryer.
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
I already own a instapot I see they make a airfryer adapter I need to do some research on this one
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
I have a bunch of retired leather hunting boots. When I want, dry, characterless food, I just go gnaw a bite out of one of them.
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Any input?

FWIW the millennial metros seem to really love the air fryers. Its their most recent fad, now that paying $45 to go to a former chuckie cheese for axe throwing is falling out of favor.
Posted By: shootAI Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
We just got one as well at Christmas. Works well but I prefer the regular fryer for taste. Hate that it sits on my counter. More clutter
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
Maybe for some frozen fries or something like that otherwise I like hot grease for fish and nutz and such.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
Yay. They are easy to use, easy to clean, and work well. My 11yo digs it because he can cook all kinds of stuff in it. And he isn't the "chef" type. Just hungry all the time.
Posted By: hicountry Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
Absolutely.

Best appliance I've bought in a long time
Posted By: yeselk Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
I use mine to make great tacos. Put olive oil on one side of a tortilla and fold with the dry side in. Put taco meat and cheese inside, hold closed with a clothes pin and cook in air fryer until outside is slightly brown. Take out and put lettuce, tomato, hot sauce, etc inside. Really good and kind of healthy.

Also use it for fish. Rinse fresh fish and coat with Andy's Fish Breading and air fry till crisp. A lot healthier than oil fried and tastes great.

Agree with all the above like anything frozen and battered as well as frozen french fries.

Mine is a 6 quart and is fine most of the time for 2 but sometimes I wish it was bigger.
Posted By: Whisky Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
I have two young kids and a wife who doesnt know how to cook so they use the air fryer a lot. If you dont fall into either of those situations, I would say a stand alone air fryer is not wirth it. They are simply a convection oven, on steroids. I also never ate that fried shiat until the kids came along.

That said, we have a Breville Smart Oven Air. It is a big appliance that sits on the counter 24/7. At least it looks decent.
The Smart Oven Air has replaced our toaster, electric pizza/toaster oven for frozen pies, and crockpot. We have had it for about 14 months and I can count on two hands how many times I've used our big oven since. The Breville fits 12" cast iron pans, frozen pizzas and a standard 9x13 pan. It heats up super quick, and is super convenient being on the counter. I greatly underestimated the convenience of this oven.
Posted By: krp Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
Yes, skeptical at first but works good for frozen frys, tots, fishsticks, chicken nuggets, taquitos, stuff the grandkids like, better than the oven or fryer, wife does homemade chicken strips ect.

The other thing I didn't know if I'd like is an instapot, I use it all the time.

Those two items keeps your kitchen cleaner and less pans to clean, less time.

Kent
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21

Take a look at the toaster over/air fryer combo.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
The wife loves it. I eat what comes out of it.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
My wife has an electric wok that she uses almost daily. We don't need another appliance.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
It's a nay from me unless you really like french fries and frozen onion rings. Neither of which are good for me anyhow. Wife is a gourmet cook and we use the thing minimally. I hate that heavy oil smell stink in the house.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
Buy the 6 qt min....do bac, to back frys ..oil wins hands down...it ain't nothing but a small covetion oven. I had on in the shop and used it all the time .... but I had a gas oven down there, since we moved into the house with the ge Cafe range...it sits in the pantry.
Check out what the difference is between an air-fryer and a convection oven.

I've had a convection oven for about 40 years and use it four or five times a week.
Posted By: tpcollins Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
We have an air fryer and an instant. We use the air fryer almost daily.

Have to regularly clean out the grease that accumulates at the bottom.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
My wife and kids love our air fryer.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
Going to get an instant pot.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
Our air fryer is in the spare room along with all the exercise equipment..
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
Chicken thighs will never be cooked in an oven at my house again. Rub them with your favorite seasoning and put in the air fryer at 400 for 12 minutes and flip for another six. You will not eat a juicier piece of chicken.
Posted By: BayouRover Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
For me, everything cooked in ours tastes like it has stale dust taste to it, for lack of a better description of the taste.. For me its not a pleasant taste. My wife loves it. I don't, and I won't miss using it in my life.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
We use ours fairly often. It's a bigger one and my 3 kids are still smaller so it works for the 5 of us. Did chicken strips and waffel fries the other night and had to do the fries first the wait 12 minutes for the chicken. We have a large walk in pantry with lots of shelf space or I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Bb
Posted By: mathman Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
I can't recall when I ever wanted to fry up a batch of air.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
Yay, but takes up valuable counter space. Good for FF', and vegetables like asparagus and green beans if you like them dry and french fry like.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
If you like wings, get one. It’s the only thing I use ours for. Well, maybe sweet potato on occasion.
Posted By: goalie Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
Originally Posted by stxhunter

You should. I put frozen venison roast chunks in, cover with water, add spiced, and 90 minutes later it's like pulled pork, but lean.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by stxhunter

You should. I put frozen venison roast chunks in, cover with water, add spiced, and 90 minutes later it's like pulled pork, but lean.

i want to make this. https://foodiesterminal.com/instant...dyFCiOw4TsymYtwV8X9DI7OSIKMsTG0AzSZ-SIuU
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
I don't need another useless kitchen gadget but I have been seeingsome positive reviews of these things. Any input?

its worth it we have the ninja air fry plus grill, two of us, we have cooked almost everything in it even a pork roast. Well worth the money.
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
I bought a instapot last year, brought it to deer camp, everyone went out and bought one when they got home. I love it
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
I'd sure like one but counter space is limited.
I don't know if I'd get rid of my George Foreman Grill, my Hot Dogger, my Fry Baby, or my BassOmatic blender.
Stumped.
Posted By: krp Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/23/21
The instapot... I call it the miracle pot, mostly cause I can't remember instapot and it drives my wife crazy... instapot idiot, instapot!... no, it's a miracle how it cooks the food (with an idiot look on my face)... wife gives up.

Anyway the instapot is way more useful than the air fryer. I don't have to thaw meat, turkey breast, whole chicken, roast, pork... put it in frozen and it comes out great. I learn about how much extra time needed depending if it's frozen and if I want to shred it or slice it. Beans, refried beans, mex rice, stew, chili all are great.

It's a miracle pot.

Kent
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/24/21
Next question!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/24/21
Barney I like the looks of your stuff. But I wouldn't eat those Fritos unless it was a survival situation. They will start a fire and will keep you alive and warm with the amount of oil they can hold. I do like the airfryer but mine is an early one which is too small. The instapot is a great tool for us empty nesters though. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/24/21
Originally Posted by Nestucca
Chicken thighs will never be cooked in an oven at my house again. Rub them with your favorite seasoning and put in the air fryer at 400 for 12 minutes and flip for another six. You will not eat a juicier piece of chicken.

Fried chicken is not cooked in the oven. Sheesh. No wonder you like the Air Fry. Do yourself a favor and smear those thighs with mustard and cook them on the charcoal grill.

For your birthday, roll in egg, flour and fry.. wink
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/24/21
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
Next question!

Lets see, scallops in bacon, taters, fritos and WTH?
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/24/21
Originally Posted by krp
The instapot... I call it the miracle pot, mostly cause I can't remember instapot and it drives my wife crazy... instapot idiot, instapot!... no, it's a miracle how it cooks the food (with an idiot look on my face)... wife gives up.

Anyway the instapot is way more useful than the air fryer. I don't have to thaw meat, turkey breast, whole chicken, roast, pork... put it in frozen and it comes out great. I learn about how much extra time needed depending if it's frozen and if I want to shred it or slice it. Beans, refried beans, mex rice, stew, chili all are great.

It's a miracle pot.

Kent

M9m

Agreed. They rock.

I find the IP to be far more useful than the air fryer. It can't make wings, but all that schit I used to braise all day is now done in less time, with less pots, and turns out killer.

I just ran about 20 pounds of beef roasts through one. Taco meat, stroganoff, soup, whatever......ready to go.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/24/21
I don't need another useless kitchen gadget but I have been seeing some positive reviews of these things. Any input?

Our neighbor gave us her's, that she got for Christmas. She told my wife she couldn't figure out how to open it. We gave it a first try with some grilled chicken strips, and frozen french fries. Both came out delicious. We later "fried" some chicken legs and thighs. Coated in olive oil, seasoned, then rolled in flour. In they went and came out crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Just the way I like my "fried chicken." We loaned it to my daughter and she loves it and said she is going to buy one. (I suggested to my wife that we just let her keep it, but my wife wants it back, especially for the ease of clean up for fried chicken, one of my favorites.) One of my sons also said he was going to get one, just based on the photos we sent to the kids and our recommendation. The one we have is the perfect size for just me and my wife. For a family of four, I would recommend one that holds a greater volume of food.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dale K Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/24/21
I got one for Christmas 2019. Used it a lot this past year. It was really nice not to fire up the big oven on a hot summer day. But I'm a widower so it's me and maybe a guest or two. For a big family meal, I don't think it would work very well. For a couple of people or maybe teenager and snacks, definitely.

Dale
Posted By: RMerta Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/24/21
I’ve had my Power XL for a week now. So far I’ve cooked a couple chicken thighs. The skin was crispy and the meat moist and tender. Salmon. Turned out wonderful! Brussel sprouts were perfect. Rotisserie chicken. A little difficult to get it into position but not to bad. I found that the chickens need to be under 3 pounds. The one I cooked was 2.67 pounds with plenty of swinging room.
My wife has used it at her daycare and was very happy with the results.
So I would say Yay
I have a Instantpot and love it.
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
Barney I like the looks of your stuff. But I wouldn't eat those Fritos unless it was a survival situation. They will start a fire and will keep you alive and warm with the amount of oil they can hold.

It’s ok - I offset them by air frying the other stuff!! wink
Originally Posted by jaguartx

fritos and WTH?

I’m sorta ashamed to admit it, but “fish” sticks. The air fryer makes them darn near edible.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/24/21
We like ours, it is a kinda one trick pony. For what it does it actually does it very well. Can't make a ton of food at once however. Not as much grease, and can get the "fried" taste. Not quite as good as a deep fryer, but not near the mess and clean up.
Posted By: foxs Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/24/21
Yes got the ninja. Awesome use it everyday. cooks great steaks
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/24/21
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Nestucca

Fried chicken is not cooked in the oven. Sheesh. No wonder you like the Air Fry. Do yourself a favor and smear those thighs with mustard and cook them on the charcoal grill.

For your birthday, roll in egg, flour and fry.. wink

Oh trust me Jag. I love my fried food including chicken and grill a lot of stuff. Tonight was panko fried cod So to offset the cholesterol an air fried meal here and there isn’t bad. You can look at it like the crimacrats carbon credits 😜
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/24/21
Not for us.

It sits on a shelf in the basement.
Too small for our family, too slow to try batches.
Food was ok otherwise.

I fell for the hype, stupid.
We have a convection oven. Same thing, much bigger and better.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/24/21
Hell yes!

I dont have one...nor would I get one...but you should.
Posted By: 79S Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/24/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Hell yes!

You just like getting grease burns on your belly.. We all know you cook without a shirt on..
Originally Posted by 79S
Hell yes!

You just like getting grease burns on your belly.. We all know you cook without a shirt on..

You ever burn your ariola hair off?
Originally Posted by 79S
Hell yes!

You ever burn your ariola hair off?

I wear a shirt, but no pants..
Seems legit.

Some fugging reservation indian cooking fry bread with no pants....
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: Air fryer yay or nay - 01/24/21
I got the Ninja Foodi delux 8 qt. It’s an air fryer, pressure cooker (like the instapot”, bakes, broils, boils, slow cooks, sears and sautee’s. Love mine. Makes a great portable cooking device to take to the hunting camp.
Seems legit.

Some fugging reservation indian cooking fry bread with no pants....

Well I do wear an apron Jesus..
© 24hourcampfire