Home
Another break from politics!

A word from our sponsor.... Hunting! Some here know what hunting is. Others, not so much... grin

Last night, myself and hunting partner did some hog thinning from about 8pm til 10:45pm.

9 hogs down. 7 recovered. (We could see the other two, but they weren't where we wanted to venture in the dark.)

These are all short videos with just raw hunting footage recorded through my scope. Again I apologize for some of the quality issues in the vids... I'm sure not a professional videographer by any means. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

First was a loan boar!

Sounder...

Another sounder...

Thanks for looking! Thanks to my hunting partner last night as well! Had fun! I was needing to go kill something! smile
Woot woot!

Good shootin’
Surely it is cold enough to keep the buzztails quiet.

Oh well critters gotta eat too.
I forget, have you done this with a suppressor on your rifle?

and if so does it make much difference?
That looks like a blast!
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I forget, have you done this with a suppressor on your rifle?

and if so does it make much difference?

I don't have a suppressor on mine. And my .308 was thundering last night... wink

My hunting partner did have a suppressor on his .223. It was much more stealthy.
Love it !
Nice work!
Originally Posted by LouisB

Killed a 3’er out and about a couple weeks ago not far from there.

Looks like that last one just about got ya Barry...grin..
Thanks for posting this action Barry - nice to see, first hand, how it is done. Good shooting. Have never done it - now I'd like to give it a run. We must have some here in AZ or NM.
Thanks. ;-{>8
Barry that looks about as much fun as a guy could have with his clothes on. Good shooting
Originally Posted by joshf303

Killed a 3’er out and about a couple weeks ago not far from there.

Looks like that last one just about got ya Barry...grin..

Yeah, I thought it was gonna run up my leg! laugh

Not so sure we didn't nick it.. Or at the very least, it was confused!
No wild hogs really to speak of here in Michigan but that looks like fun. I’d love to do a hog shoot in Florida next time I’m down there to visit my relatives.
Thanks for posting that. That's the best net content I have seen today. What kind of rifle, scope and video equipment? Range?
Cool video
I am begining to think you have a hog problem, Barry.
Good shootin' and Thanks for taking us along on your hunt.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Thanks for posting that. That's the best net content I have seen today. What kind of rifle, scope and video equipment? Range?

Thanks Paul!

My rifle is pictured above. Diamondback DB10 in .308 Win.

Scope and video equipment is one in the same. You can record video with a push of the button on the scope. smile

Bering Optics Super Hogster thermal scope.

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/produ...ermal-rifle-scope?variant=32508616540234

I sure like that scope.
Hell yeah ! Can't beat a good massacre. A good hog hunt is definitely on my list.
Cool videos and thats a nice set up for hogs .
Nice shooting!
More awesome pig hunting videos thank you Rockinbbar for sharing!!! again. Less then a month till we leave for our TX pig hunt. I am going to do a little looking around down there at real estate. It looks like TX might be it's own country soon and I wouldn't mine being a citizen:)
Sweet scope! I don’t predator hunt and as mentioned we don’t have hogs. I’d never get my money’s worth out of it but very cool.
Hi Rockinbbar,
You use a 308 correct? What bullet? I know about any bullet in a 308 will work. I have a bunch of 150gr Winchester bullets. Deciding on R15,Varget or IMR 4064 for powder.Although the majority of my shooting is with a 6.8 SPC2
Kill the SOB’s
Nice
😀😀😀😀😀😀
Great video!
How do you decide which one to start with? Do they run for the closest cover or just run in any direction?
Thanks for the diversion!
So far today your the coolest dude on the Fire Barry!

The 3fer challenge is still up.........
Originally Posted by Marshhawk
Hi Rockinbbar,
You use a 308 correct? What bullet? I know about any bullet in a 308 will work. I have a bunch of 150gr Winchester bullets. Deciding on R15,Varget or IMR 4064 for powder.Although the majority of my shooting is with a 6.8 SPC2

I just use the cheap stuff on hogs. wink

What you have will work great!

What I've been shooting is Tula 165gr SP ammo. It's shoots MOA or better out of my rifle. I sure wish I'd bought more of it when it was cheap. And available. frown
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Great video!
How do you decide which one to start with? Do they run for the closest cover or just run in any direction?
Thanks for the diversion!

When my partner and I approached the hogs last night, he was on my right, and therefore takes the hogs in the sounder for center to right. I was taking center to left hogs.

I don't hear well enough to hear a whispered 3,2,1 countdown... So both settle in on a hog, and as soon as the first shot is fired, the signal is "go"... smile
Thanks again for more of those great hog hunting videos. So what if they're not professional quality? If they were you'd get accused of fakery; at least on this web site. Great to see real life hunting action videos. Congrats on some good shooting.
Originally Posted by CCCC
Thanks for posting this action Barry - nice to see, first hand, how it is done. Good shooting. Have never done it - now I'd like to give it a run. We must have some here in AZ or NM.

they are in arizona in a view places, one being not far from you, put i dont think you want to be in there after dark.
san pedro river right on the border.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by CCCC

they are in arizona in a view places, one being not far from you, put i dont think you want to be in there after dark.
san pedro river right on the border.

He may have to wait until he comes back down to my place with a couple days time to spend! smile
Do you eat those pigs, and if so how do they taste?
Everything gets eaten.

By something... wink
Nice!
Place is ate the fugg up with those things.
JFC....
Looks like fun killing the schitt outta em.
Originally Posted by renegade50
Place is ate the fugg up with those things.
JFC....
Looks like fun killing the schitt outta em.

Plus 1
They’re an invasive pest
Barry, thanks for the show. Looks like that thermal is working out really good.
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Barry, thanks for the show. Looks like that thermal is working out really good.

I like it, Randy!

You'll have to come try it out!
If only we could shoot coyotes at night with rifles here. frown

NV for navigation, but I think I need thermal for the shooting.

Love the video.
Originally Posted by goalie
If only we could shoot coyotes at night with rifles here. frown

NV for navigation, but I think I need thermal for the shooting.

Love the video.

Pretty much what we were doing last night.

Thermal works well for scanning and looking for hogs if you have it wi-fi connected to a screen you can watch when driving. It's not quite as sensitive to fog/humidity as NV, especially when using IR as an illuminator.

Probably be doing some coyote calling at night before long. smile
We can only use shotguns at night here. ☹️
Looks like you got your mags, they all work ok? Mb
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Looks like you got your mags, they all work ok? Mb

I was needing some mags for my Armalite AR10... I should have 4 more 20's for it coming shortly.

The rifle I was hunting with last night is a Diamondback AR10 that takes P-Mag style mags. I have plenty of 20's for that one. smile

Shame they won't interchange... frown

Thanks for asking and your previous help!
good job. Have a super Hogster being shipped to me.

What power system are you running to scope?
Deleted per OP
Nice work, Barry. Love watching your videos!

Did you move away from your Sightron Wraith or is this just a separate setup for the .308?

Sooo interesting watching you guys wage war on those hogs!

Very cool....looks like a video game.
Is the tula ammo steel cased?
Nice shooting, thanks for posting.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Is the tula ammo steel cased?

Yes.

Poly coated steel case, 165gr sp...

Shoots great, and kills hogs great.

I'm a dumbass for not buying another case or two. frown
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Nice work, Barry. Love watching your videos!

Did you move away from your Sightron Wraith or is this just a separate setup for the .308?

Sooo interesting watching you guys wage war on those hogs!

Thanks!

I still have two Sightmark Wraiths.

One on a 7.62x39 upper, and the other on a .223 upper.

Fixing to start waging war on coons with the .223... grin They have gotten away with too much for too long, and I've been waiting to start killing them when deer season was over. Time's up! laugh
That looks like a hoot! Nice job and thanks for sharing the videos.
Got out for a little while again last night. May have kept Barry out too late...but I'm sure there is some more video coming...grin...
I know well and good I stayed out too late! smile

Feel hung over this morning. Must be old age catching up with me! grin

Yeah, I'll try and get that video downloaded today.

BIG sows last night!

3 sows in one sounder over 200 lbs... eek
Big ol' sow...

Josh got extra points on a called in coyote too!

Rock... I take it these hogs were taken over baited locations? Do you use another thermal optic to assess the targets before you take up the rifle or can you hear/or see the potential targets gathering?

Osky
Originally Posted by Osky
Rock... I take it these hogs were taken over baited locations? Do you use another thermal optic to assess the targets before you take up the rifle or can you hear/or see the potential targets gathering?

Osky

No sir.

All hogs taken in this thread were in pastures or farmland destroying it. No bait at all.

Josh uses the helmet mounded night vision to scan out his side of the vehicle, and I have a thermal monocular to scan on my side.

We spot a sounder of hogs that way, then play the wind to get into position for a stalk... Then stalk our way out to the hogs.

Once in position, we get set on a particular hog... I take the ones from the center of the group to the left, and Josh from the center to the right.

Of course after the first shots, it's a free for all on running hogs. The photo Josh posted was from one sounder on one stalk. Coyote was called in, and Josh took it when it got close enough.
VERY cool!
Originally Posted by ingwe
VERY cool!

Thanks, Sir!

Now I'll have to wake up and download the video! grin
Thanks for the explanation. Good times.

Osky
I can barely restrain my jealousy grin
Thanks for putting up the pix and videos.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Big ol' sow...

Josh got extra points on a called in coyote too!

Pretty cool. Been doing a little opportunistic eradication south of Hebbronville ourselves. The last year or so it seems the coyote population has increased around us. Since I don't live there full time that may not be a good observation but I do see and at least shoot at coyotes a lot.
That is frickin awesome!!! Nice shooting.
Big Like!
Thanks for the set-up detail.
I noticed all those hogs are a little on the dark side. Damn your white privilege... 😂
Sweet! Interesting setup with the battery pack - I may need to adopt something like that.
Kill em all!!!
Very cool videos. We have a similar problem at our place in Breckinridge. You learn to absolutely hate them for the ruination of everything. Great job.
Originally Posted by gkt5450
Very cool videos. We have a similar problem at our place in Breckinridge. You learn to absolutely hate them for the ruination of everything. Great job.

Thanks guys!

This latest video download is taking longer than I thought it would...

Standby. wink
Kill all the SOB’s
Finally got the video to download! smile

Here's one sounder.

Early on in the video I'm sitting here almost yelling shoot the sumbitch already! laugh
Originally Posted by mathman
Early on in the video I'm sitting here almost yelling shoot the sumbitch already! laugh

Yeah, it seems that way... smile

But when hunting with a partner, you have to make sure he is settled, on target and ready.

I'm kinda hard of hearing, so whispering doesn't work 100% of the time. But we try and coordinate before we start shooting, to optimize shots, safety and get as many hogs as we can on the ground. wink

Nope. Plenty hot. 80 today.

But when hunting with a partner, you have to make sure he is settled, on target and ready.

I'm kinda hard of hearing, so whispering doesn't work 100% of the time. But we try and coordinate before we start shooting, to optimize shots, safety and get as many hogs as we can on the ground. wink

I've had better luck with buckshot if I can get close enough when it comes to multiples. 5 last time all by myself. Out of one group.
Here's some footage of the coyote we called in, and Josh got.

It took a bit of work to get this timid female in. But Josh made good on his shot! smile I was just recording video from my scope... it was Josh that shot it.

And the last sounder we got on last night...

It was getting late, and we were getting a bit tired. smile (At least I was) laugh

Originally Posted by rost495

I've had better luck with buckshot if I can get close enough when it comes to multiples. 5 last time all by myself. Out of one group.

May try a shotgunner of we have a 3rd man some night. Might work well. smile

Probably won't be me, though... I'm more of a rifleman. Just have one shotgun, and it's for dove... O/U.

Me too.

I thought he was lining up a two-for-one shot but realized he was just being sure of something.

Lol... Barry gets a lil ancy on the trigger, he’s ready to rock and roll soon as we stop walking. With me running helmet mounted PVS14s it takes me just a little bit to get in focus and set up. It’s all good though! Somebody forgot to load their fuggin gun on the coyote stand and I like to let them get fully downwind from me to give them a sporting chance. I could hear Barry thinking WTF?!

I spend about half my time shooting with NODs and half the time with thermal. There is a little give and take to both systems, and I’m not set up to video through my PVS14s.

Hell... let’s just make this the official Campfire Thermal/NV thread. Feel free to post video and pics here. I’ll start...

Good shooting on that pair!
Thanks for taking the time to share the hunt.
Awesome vids. Thanks guys
OMG, the anticipation was killing me! Awesome videos.
I love it - thanks for sharing gents!

Awesome.....

I see what's going on here between you two..
Awesome Josh.....

What rifle you running?
Good stuff guys,
That looks like a real blast.
I think people under estimate how many of 'em you have down there.
Originally Posted by GregW

Awesome.....

I see what's going on here between you two..

Didn’t want to have to drag that big prick under the fence by myself...caught that bunch coming out a neighboring ranch coming back from bellying up at bulk feeders.

Originally Posted by GregW
Awesome Josh.....

What rifle you running?

Different makes and models in 5.56s, 6.5 Grendel, 6 ARC, or 7.62x39. When I’m feeling real cheap I just grab bulk FMJs.
Untypically slow night last night, but we managed to knock one good boar down...

Still having coffee over here! smile

I'll have to look at that video later...
© 24hourcampfire