Home
Tried Boars Head for the first time last week, expected a premium product.
Didn't get it, would much rather have a cheap one like Kretchsmar or Hummel Bros.

So for all you classy olive loaf lovers out there - whats your favorite?
No takers?
Garlic bologna mo betta.
Koegel
I don't like Olive Loaf, but I do like P&P. I think Kretchsmar is the best I've had.
About the only brand I can find here is Oscar Meyer. In the base Commissary, I can get Boar's Head and other premium brands in the deli, though. I'm not overly particular, so the Oscar is what I usually get. Olive loaf is a once in a while thing. I'll usually opt for braunsweiger, cotto salami, or smoked turkey when I want a change from ham.
Best olive loaf is like most conservative democrat. There might be a best, but on a scale of 1-10 its still a 2.
OP - just curious, what do you do with it? Not being a smartass, I just have never tried it.

Sammiches?

Ritz cracker topping?

Trying to expand my culinary knowledge - thanks.
Mostly sandwiches.

Its basically bologna with green olives mixed in for a little kick. It looks weird (OK, real weird), but if you like green olives you'll probably like it.

I usually throw a few or more slices on good sliced white bread with American cheese. No mustard or anything, although it is good with mayo & tomato IMO. I also find that its good with the girlfriends Arnold Oat Nut bread too.

We did get some thick cut one time and made them into cracker sized pieces. Real good on a Ritz.

Another oddball deli item out there is the Hormel pepperoni cheese. Makes a dynamite grilled cheese.
Or throw some on a turkey sandwich, or on crackers, whatever. Everyone who tries it loves it. Yet its very hard to find lately.

Olives have got to be just about the nastiest food item I can think off.......................

Can't stand them.............. green, black or any other kind..........
i think the answer is nobody. i thought that schit just sat in the deli case for decoration. didn't know people ate it. whats it taste like? bologna with olives? neither of which i can stand.
Originally Posted by Muffin
Olives have got to be just about the nastiest food item I can think off.......................

You probably wouldn't like my scrambled eggs with diced green olives and sliced mushrooms then.🙂
I have not seen olive loaf, nor head cheese for years .
Bought some olive loaf once. Had half a sandwich. The dog got the other half and the rest of the package of olive loaf. Nasty schitt
What about Head Cheese?

...or Souse?

...or sliced Haggis?

Sliced Leprechaun is also good, though the last package I had was a bit too greasy and gamey - some of those Leprechauns are pretty nasty..
What no over consumption of pimento cheese jokes?
Come to think of it, I've never had olive loaf from one of those dicey looking pre-packaged deals.
I'm guessing thats how most people got theirs?
Probably not the best way to give it a try....
Pimento cheese is disgusting. Looks like dog vomit. Something that only farty old egg salad eatin mfers would enjoy. 🤮

But I’ll open a can of california black olives and eat all of them as a meal.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Pimento cheese is disgusting. Looks like dog vomit.

Okay. Pimento cheese can be gross.....sometimes.

Something called Palmetto cheese is spectacular.

Black olives that are whole and uncooked are great.

Slided or cooked.......gross.
Hard to find and should be sliced thin. Kretchmer, Ekrich and Oscar Mayer is all I have been able to get lately. When I was young we used to get Scott Peterson which I think was part of Hormel. It was the best. I just eat it as a sandwich on white bread. Share it with the dogs also. Not something I eat often but sometimes it is great as is pickle and pimento loaf. Ham, roast beef, corned beef or real pastrammi are the best.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by slumlord
Pimento cheese is disgusting. Looks like dog vomit.

Okay. Pimento cheese can be gross.....sometimes.

Something called Palmetto cheese is spectacular.

Black olives that are whole and uncooked are great.

Slided or cooked.......gross.

Yeah yeah

You’ve told us a million times

Settle down Rock Chuck
No kidding?

Honestly I thought that was about the first time I shared that.

Palmetto cheese is good though.
I’ll have to look into the palmetto cheese thing

Better not have farty cooked egg yolks and chit in it.
Lol

https://nypost.com/2020/09/23/costc...nder-calls-blm-a-terrorist-organization/

Because of some no-count groids it wont be at the costco. I was just there tonight.
Hahahaha!

No wonder Iike that 9hit so much!
Pimento cheese with jalapenos makes a fine sammich or on a cracker. Even better with a piece of good cooked link sausage split in half on the sammich with whole wheat bread. Good eats!
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I have not seen olive loaf, nor head cheese for years .

Nor have I. Remember eating it as a kid but that's been a long, long time ago.
Mortadella is as close as I get to olive loaf.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
No kidding?

Honestly I thought that was about the first time I shared that.

Palmetto cheese is good though.

Jim, here's a recipe I developed myself. I've posted it in the Food section before a few years ago. Damn good on a cracker.

Slum will probably like it.

Olive Tapenade

1 1/2 - 2 cups pitted Kalamata olives
4 cloves garlic
3 artichole hearts (with ~ 2 tablespoons of its oil)
2-3 scallion onions
~ 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
~ 2 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper
1/2 red cayenne pepper with flakes
parmesan cheese sprinkled in to your taste
I'll second the Koegel's,
I've been known to pinch a loaf....
I prefer Oscar Mayer but it’s getting hard to find. All the grocery stores keep a spot but it’s rarely in stock.
Olive loaf is the fruitcake of lunch meats
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Olive loaf is the fruitcake of lunch meats

Never thought of it that way, but yeah. Minus the rum....
If you like olives, try

Veracruz Fish
Originally Posted by Muffin

Blasphemer......
I'm with you USMC2602, I love olives.

Red, green, black, bring it on.

Though I've never liked the shriveled up overcured black Kalamatta olives.

Something tells me that a "who likes olives?" thread on the Fire would read like a light beer commercial...
© 24hourcampfire