Home
Who has one still?
Without Google, how many people know what one is?
i do. its actually a very useful tool.
Dad had one. I never saw him use it. I cannot honestly say that I have it somewhere around or not.
Don't have one anymore too many great battery tools today.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all
I'm lost.
I have 2. Looking for bits, so if anyone has some they don't need, let me know
Let me look in Dad’s old toolbox and se if there’s any left in the bottom.
Somewhere around here I have a Craftsman version of one. It never did work very well so I seldom used it.

https://www.amazon.com/Kings-County...&hvtargid=pla-1144802196473&th=1
I looked it u9, my wife likes them I don't.
I have my Dad's. He used it all the time installing door hardware in new buildings. Now, you can't find someone that has a regular screw driver, everything has a battery on it.
Thanks M stevenson.
My tools take the old round shank bits with the notch at the bottom, not the newer ones that were hex-shaped.
I have 1 that's about 3-1/2 to 4 inches long and has a standard straight bit. My Dad had all the bits, but after he died the tools got moved and the bits got lost. He had 3 Philips and 3 straight bits for each tool. Now I have only the ones in the tools all the others were lost. So if I could find any I would be a happy camper.

I have 2. I do not use them much but did in the past

Best place for replacement bits is making them. Use old screwdriver bits or a little machine work on some round stock and you have it .
Originally Posted by szihn
Thanks M stevenson.
My tools take the old round shank bits with the notch at the bottom, not the newer ones that were hex-shaped.
I have 1 that's about 3-1/2 to 4 inches long and has a standard straight bit. My Dad had all the bits, but after he died the tools got moved and the bits got lost. He had 3 Philips and 3 straight bits for each tool. Now I have only the ones in the tools all the others were lost. So if I could find any I would be a happy camper.

Dad’s is from the mid 60’s and has the round shank with the notch, I can’t guarantee finding them, but I’ll PM you if I do.
I think I got one - I got everything else.

Update > I found it under the grand piano in a large yellowed plastic tube (never opened) - 24" length.
A true 'object de arte' - beautiful wood grained handle. Probably 40 years old.
I Have a few - small to large - old stuff handed down from Dad and Granddad. Hardly use them now. Do the 70 year-old types have any collector value?
i don't where mine went but i have two yankee type drills that i use often
I have a couple of them, use to use a lot but not so much anymore.

Good ole' cordless drill.
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Who has one still?

Yup, somewhere in my Dad's old tool collection.

Very useful in its time..
I have two--- large No 130, and small No 135

Don't use them
I have two--- large No 130, and small No 135

Don't use them
I have one, never use it now that I have good cordless tools.
I like mine with shot and halve of Belvidere. It makes this Yankee feel Southern.
My late Father was always buying Yankee push drills at the flea market. He made a really cool display board with a couple dozen different models. If I run across any spare bits, I'll let you know.
I had to look it up. There is one around here somewhere. Like others here, things go to the wayside with cordless tools.
One of the handiest drivers I have is a split tip for slotted screws. It locks the slotted screw on the end of the driver so you can get back into holes with out it falling off. I still use it from time to time.
I still have one but to be fair have not used it in many years.
also have an old hand drill that has a U shape to it with a big wooden knob on the end so you could put some weight on it whole you spin the handle.. same vintage. probably from the 40's or so. not to mention an old stanley hand plane. using those tools really makes you appreciate the cordless we have these days.
I have /had two.One about 12 " and I had an 18' one that went missing
my old man and his brothers and dad built my camp in the early 60's with only hand tools. no power. when you crawl around underneath, you can tell. sturdy, but crude.
One???

I have two in the tool chest, but never use them.

Yankee Drill too! Felt like I was in Tall Cotton when I got that!
I have one, and a yankee drill as well
Originally Posted by rem141r
also have an old hand drill that has a U shape to it with a big wooden knob on the end so you could put some weight on it whole you spin the handle.. same vintage. probably from the 40's or so. not to mention an old stanley hand plane. using those tools really makes you appreciate the cordless we have these days.

Brace and bit, still have a couple of those around too. Never use them of course, but just can bear to get rid of them - lots of memories of grampa using them. Painstakingly sharpening the bits with a whetstone, carefully wiping down with a bit of linseed oil when he was done before putting it away, etc. etc.

Now I just toss the DeWalt onto the workbench when I'm done and hope I remember where I left it. laugh

Grampa would tan my hide.
HA! Tide, we d 9ush against the guys back doing the drilling with a brace, and bit, boring for a gate lag bolt!
I've got one, or two.
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Who has one still?

i have 3. 2 were my fathers and are from the early1950 . one i bought new in 1959.
i have heard the term brace and bit but never knew thats what i had. interesting. i have a bunch of old tools like that. some were my dads and grandads and others i think he got at flea markets in florida in the 80's. he was a switchman for the bell for 30-some years and i have a lot of his old school electronic stuff too. stuff for fixing relays like teeny tiny files and screwdrivers. stuff that will never be useful again but is too good to throw away.
I have bit of a collection of them. I have an adapter that allows me to use 1/4" hex They are as fast as an impact driver They don't ever have dead batteries. But ". More furniture has been ruined by them. " An instructor once said.
In the Blues Brothers, Elwood Blues uses one to get the panel off inside the elevator as they're going up to pay the taxes on the orphanage. Right before he torches the panel with spray-adhesive and a lighter.
Have a very old one around somewhere.
My grandfather had one or two. I don't know that I ever saw him use one, though. Dam things are dangerous .If the bit slips out of the screw when pushing (which happened often while I was playing with one as a kid), it would sure gouge the crap out of whatever you were working on.
Originally Posted by VernAK
i don't where mine went but i have two yankee type drills that i use often

Yes, they also made a drill that worked pretty much the same way, the handle held the various bit sizes.
Being very close to my 86th year i remember both very well.
I actually inherited my fathers, and my son has them now.
I spent all my working years in the home building business, following my fathers lead.
As he was prone to say, the best thing about the good old days is that we were much younger.
Same goes for all the wonderfull old tools like the Yankee screwdrivers, there is no going back to any of that.
And thats a good thing.
I bought one the 1st yr. I became a carpenter. I used it for putting on storm windows . When I got the first cordless I forgot all about it. I dont even think I have it anymore but my dad had his till the day he died. My mom was going to throw it out but my sister took it and likely sold it.
They were still a woodworking tool into the '70s, I had a big #131 in my tool box. The variable speed reversible 3/8 drill motor Skil brought out replaced them. A huge gamechanger. I screwed details on fly forms with a Yankee. . Over your head a big $ 131 was tough work. The lithium ion batteried impact driver are the true replacement for them in carpentry. Another huge game changer.
© 24hourcampfire