Home
Posted By: Cretch Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
Today I shot a Starling that was raiding our bird feeder. Later I looked out and found a squirrel eating it. I had no idea squirrels were meat eaters too. Did a bing search and found it is common. The squirrel comes to the feeder every day to eat the seed on the ground, which I don't mind since I would like the see the seed on the ground cleaned up. He can't get to the feeders on a count of how they are hung. Today he found a little extra protein.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
That is amazing. I had no idea they would eat a bird. I guess, they really are "rats with furry tails" because a damn rat will eat anything.

Great photo looks like a real camera with a telephoto lens.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
Around here, the red squirrels mostly eat pine cones and sometimes, lead.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
That's nuts!
Posted By: slugflinger Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
Nice pic! I first saw squirrels eating meat a few years ago when we had the 17 year cicadas hatching. A couple of greys were in the parking lot at work picking up and eating the ones that were on their last legs and couldn't fly.

They would munch down for a minute or so, then run and get another.

I guess when the belly is growling, many things look a bit tastier.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
They have a reputation for raiding other squirrels' nests, eating bird eggs and nestlings, and anything else they can.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
Squirrels, rabbits and even deer will eat something we think is not on their menu. If they’re deficient in certain minerals then eating a starling cranium and brain might be the perfect multivitamin. 😉
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
Remember seeing a squirrel raiding a garbage can and gnawing on a KFC drumstick.

Local city park had a zoo with some whitetail deer in it. Same pen kept peacocks. In the spring, the peacocks hatched some chicks and a couple of the chicks got their head nipped off by the deer, so they had to separate them.

Fella I know who is a professor of Biology says all vegetarian animals would be carnivores, if they had the ability.

Think about it. Most will eat the afterbirth from having a baby. Lotsa protein and nutrients.
Posted By: Cretch Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Squirrels, rabbits and even deer will eat something we think is not on their menu. If they’re deficient in certain minerals then eating a starling cranium and brain might be the perfect multivitamin. 😉

Makes since, just never thought about it. It surprised me when I saw it.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
Seen squirrels and chipmunks go after baby birds when I was a kid.
Fuzzy tailed rats.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
They have a reputation for raiding other squirrels' nests, eating bird eggs and nestlings, and anything else they can.

Well who doesn't like eggs fort breakfast?

I have seen a chipmunk eating a snake, but never a squirrel...
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
I've trapped a lot of nuisance squirrels, and
the other squirrels will eat on the trapped
squirrel a lot of times. It'll look like it was
run over with a lawn mower
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
When we shoot them up in Oregon, It's not uncommon to scan back through the scope and see another squirrel chowing down on another one that had met the 17 earlier. Nasty little critters.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
Some years ago, I heard a bird squawking loudly and incessantly in a patch of alders. Went over to it to find a robin hen about 3 feet from her nest raising the ruckus. There was a red squirrel in the nest eating the hatchlings.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
Shoot a Idaho ground squirrel (whistle pig) then you can shoot his buddies that are eating on the carcus, sometimes several,
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
Do not know much about tree squirrels. But we have been watching ground squirrels consuming their brethren since we learned to use ground squirrels for off season target practice.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
It's rare to have a bird nest in the trees here because of the fox squirrels. What few are built will be destroyed.
Posted By: scottishkat Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
Eastern gray squirrels eat a range of foods, such as tree bark, tree buds, flowers,[30] berries, many types of seeds and acorns, walnuts, and other nuts, like hazelnuts (see picture) and some types of fungi found in the forests, including fly agaric mushrooms (Amanita muscaria).[31] They can cause damage to trees by tearing the bark and eating the soft cambial tissue underneath. In Europe, sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus L.) and beech ([bleep] sylvatica L.) suffer the greatest damage.[32] The seeds and catkins of gymnosperms such as cedar, hemlock, pine, and spruce are another food source.[33] The squirrels also raid gardens for wheat,[34] tomatoes, corn, strawberries, and other garden crops.[35] Sometimes they eat the tomato seeds and discard the rest. On occasion, eastern gray squirrels also prey upon insects, frogs, small rodents including other squirrels, and small birds, their eggs, and young.[2][24] They also gnaw on bones, antlers, and turtle shells – likely as a source of minerals scarce in their normal diet.[31]
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
35+ years ago I was a young kid walking around the Superstition Mountains shooting jackrabbits and cottontails with my .22. Right after hitting the trail one day I shot a running cottontail and thought I’d leave it and return later hoping to find a coyote or cat but when I returned I was surprised and a little horrified to see 3 other cottontails with bloody faces eating their fallen comrade. It was something a young boy didn’t expect to see, I dumped 2 more of those bloody cannibals.
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
I’m really kinda surprised at the surprise in this thread.
How do paleontologist figure out what dinosaurs ate?
They study their teeth!
Ever taken a look at a squirrel’s choppers?
7mm
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
They'll sure eat whatever sits still long enough.
If you ask a wildlife biologist or somebody from
the parks and wildlife department, they'll swear
up and down and sideways that squirrels and
wabbits and such only eat vegetation, and there
are no cats in the wild, and if there are any, they
only eat rats and mice and such and won't hunt
or take down a game animal, and coyotes and
wolves only hunt old and sickly animals, and
only then for food, and etc. etc.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
Prairie dogs will sometimes run over and start eating their buddy you just shot. Biologists claim they will sometime eat their newborn pups.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
Well, they are really just furry rats.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
The squirrels love to eat the notches on my log cabin. These are dovetail notches and there is a 6 inch overhang for every notch. These squirrels climb up there and chew the sharp edges of the notch.

I don't like to kill an animal that I don't have to kill, but when you go to eating the house I built, we have a problem. I have trapped and deported a dozen of 'em with the Havahart trap. But they keep coming back.
You ought to see what a load of #8s in a 20 gauge will do to them at a range of 30 feet.
I did shoot one with my Savage muzzleloader one time, a 250 grain bullet with 3,100 foot pounds of energy. Very effective squirrel round.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Remember seeing a squirrel raiding a garbage can and gnawing on a KFC drumstick.

Black squirrel?
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
I don't believe there is anything in nature that is 100% vegetarian. Other than an idiot.
Posted By: LouieM Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
Very interesting stuff. Never seen anything like this bur easy to believe.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
Hey PETA, nature is cruel, and hunting is the quickest and easiest way a wild animal will ever die. Deal with it....Even cute little squirrels will eat baby birds.......
Posted By: slumlord Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
Shoot that rodent, they’ll menace, plot and scheme your bird feeder more than Mr Shîtbird. lol

Picture time is over
Posted By: Cretch Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
Originally Posted by slumlord
Shoot that rodent, they’ll menace, plot and scheme your bird feeder more than Mr Shîtbird. lol

Picture time is over

Little bastard can't get to it!
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
Oh yea..had Red squirrels after a robins nest this past spring. Fixed their bacon.
Posted By: ackleydave Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/07/21
Was shocked years ago when I saw a squirrel chewing on the carcass of a road killed deer. Dave
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/08/21
I don't know how often I've seen ground squirrels in the middle of a road eating their road killed buddies.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/08/21
Very common to see ground squirrels eating their buddies you just shot.

I've seen tree squirrels grab baby birds out of the nest and eat them.
Posted By: drover Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/08/21
Originally Posted by 700LH
Shoot a Idaho ground squirrel (whistle pig) then you can shoot his buddies that are eating on the carcus, sometimes several,

I am glad to find out that I am not alone, I thought I was the only person left who called ground squirrels whistle pigs. It must be a southwest Idaho thing because I have not heard it used anywhere else. I generally refet to them as gophers now which confuses some folks, there used to be some folks who called them picket pins but I have heard anyone refer to them as that in decades.

drover
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/08/21
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
35+ years ago I was a young kid walking around the Superstition Mountains shooting jackrabbits and cottontails with my .22. Right after hitting the trail one day I shot a running cottontail and thought I’d leave it and return later hoping to find a coyote or cat but when I returned I was surprised and a little horrified to see 3 other cottontails with bloody faces eating their fallen comrade. It was something a young boy didn’t expect to see, I dumped 2 more of those bloody cannibals.

Posted By: cooper57m Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/08/21
We've seen that several times. Just a few weeks ago we saw a Grey Squirrel chewing on a Chickadee. Always freaks us out. Where my mom lives there are always squirrels in the dumpster to her appt building. If/when you just open up the lid they will come flying out of there and it always makes ya jump even though you expect it.Yup fuzzy rats.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/08/21
My theory, conspiracy theory if you say so, is that as fall and winter approaches, squirrels and some other "vegetarians" become omnivorous. I've observed it in reptiles too. It likely has to do with opportunity, nutritional demands and threat of starvation.
One reason you don't see antlers, turtle shells, and bones all over the place is that. You'll see different size teeth marks on them sometimes.

OR it could be alien abductions to study earth creatures on the mother ship. Just a theory. 😉
Posted By: las Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/08/21
Some years ago a Yukon Territory study showed that the #1 predator of hares under the age of two weeks old were red squirrels. I’ve seen them feeding on meat numerous times. The
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/08/21

What's for breakfast? It ain't only acorns!

Life's a bitch, and then your neighbor eats your kids.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/08/21
Don't ever turn your back on one, they will eat your ass up.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/08/21
This thread is astonishing. Cute little squirrels eating baby robins. I had no idea they would do that.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/08/21
Even deer and cows will eat fledglings.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/08/21
Rodents are fugking evil and retarded

My rabbits used to eat their babies

LOL
Posted By: 700LH Re: Omnivorous Squirrels - 02/08/21
© 24hourcampfire