Home
I know this has been discussed before but from someone who actually has to purchase from suppliers, has your price for loaded ammo really gone up 2.5-3X? That appears to be what is reflected locally and online. Big retailers seem to be holding prices and I can't imagine them losing money intentionally. I don't know enough about the ordering to have a valid opinion but it does appear some online vendors and local shops are gouging to take advantage of the situation we are in. Maybe it's the best way to slow down demand while supply catches back up?

Luckily I reload, but still wish I had several thousand more primers on hand. I'm likely stocked up for over a year at the rate I shoot for small rifle and pistol, longer than that for large rifle. I would like to get back to $0.30/rd ammo on .223 so I can just buy it instead of having to load to shoot.
My LGS is currently selling Primers for $200-250 per brick. Their reasoning is that they are having a tough time getting them and people are paying $300 + on GB, so they are preventing scalpers from profiting so much. My Local Sportsman’s Warehouse rarely has primers, but I recently bought a brick of Federal LR match primers recently for $28. To the LGS credit, at that price their supply they do get lasts days instead of minutes, increasing availability over time. Downside is those that got caught short pay for lack of foresight. I don’t judge than for doing it, it’s current market conditions. Regarding ammo, I’m sure the story is similar at retail venues. Another LGS requires purchase of 200 bullets with the purchase of a pound of powder. His prices have gone up a bit but are reasonable. Turns out he invested heavily in bullets , powder and primers, but only the powder and primers sold.

Old70
Originally Posted by old70
My LGS is currently selling Primers for $200-250 per brick. Their reasoning is that they are having a tough time getting them and people are paying $300 + on GB, so they are preventing scalpers from profiting so much.

crazy That's an interesteing way to try to explain it, LOL. Saving us from the gougers by charging just under the top gouger pricing. Most of the LGS are smart enough to keep ammo back for guns they are able to get in becuase no one wants to buy a gun they can't ammo for. I just get a little pissed when you hear and see Academy, Cabelas, etc selling ammo for near pre-panic prices and these local shops are selling it as soon as it comes in a 3 times the price. Someone is either losing their a$$ or gouging, so which is it?
Price
Value
Worth

Hard to determine when comes to ammo....
Primers are going for up to $50.00 a sleeve of 100 on Gunbroker.
I'm involved in a small business making 9mm and 5.56. We run a half dozen Camdex machines and average a few million rounds per month. Availability of components right now is tough and it's not what you know but who you know in order to keep a supply in the pipeline. The only way we've managed is we've prebought our primers for a year in advance with OEM suppliers who we have relationships with and are willing to hook us up with preferential service.

I can assure you that our retail prices follow our costs and there's no looney conspiracy to gouge among small businesses like us. The only gouging I've seen is where average Joes who invested in lots of ammo over the last few years are now selling and making a profit on their speculation. The prices I've seen on retailers shelves accurately reflect their costs as near as I can tell and in some cases I'm amazed that they are not asking for more money.
Bought rem umc .45 acp ball at 35 bucks for 50 rounds.
5.56 ball I think israeli, is selling at 50 for 50.
It sells but aint exactly flying off the shelves
Primers.
Cant find large rifle anywhere
Pistol seems to be 150 a K.
Most folks here want to trade one type/ size for another.
one thing that is going on, that is driving prices upward, is folks are selling their 'stash' to local gun shops. I have personally seen it happen. In one case, 9mm was sold to the store for .75 a round. The store will sell it for over a dollar a round.
As with anything, buy low and sell high.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
one thing that is going on, that is driving prices upward, is folks are selling their 'stash't to local gun shops. I have personally seen it happen. In one case, 9mm was sold to the store for .75 a round. The store will sell it for over a dollar a round.

I saw a gun shop bidding and buying bulk ammo the other day. He was scarfing bulk ammo up.

I have no doubt he'll break open the cases and sell 20 round boxes much higher.

Really don't have a big problem with that, mostly because if he didn't have a market, he wouldn't be doing it.

You can't really impress on people that they need to stock up when prices are low, and ammo is flowing like a river...

You can say it over and over, and people just don't listen. History doesn't teach those type anything.

Those types that DON'T stock up are the same ones squealing like a pig under a gate when they are out or low on ammo. whistle
BTW i draw the line at 40 bucks a box of 50 in .45 acp ball
Thats about 2x what it used to be

I could hardly pay 35.

LOL

300 rounds last me all summer.
Aint exactly target shooting weather outside either.
So just bought a couple for maybe a good weekend

Buying to shoot, not save.

The real question is will it return to "normal" or is this the new normal?

I'm sufficiently stocked up. But I'm hesitant to use any of it-because replacing it may cost me a fortune.

I have enough to hunt and stay practiced enough to hunt. But can't just go shoot recreationally like before.

-Jake
Originally Posted by hookeye

Yep. Those who stockpiled while prices were low (like during the year 2019) and are selling for current market price are not gougers. They're simply taking profits while the going is good. If it were stocks or gold, we'd applaud them for being smart investors.
Once you sell it, it’s gone. Catch 22.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Yep. Those who stockpiled while prices were low (like during the years 2019) and are selling for current market price are not gougers. They're simply taking profits while the going is good. If it were stocks or gold, we'd applaud them for being smart investors.

Indeed.
Originally Posted by rwa3006
I'm involved in a small business making 9mm and 5.56. We run a half dozen Camdex machines and average a few million rounds per month. Availability of components right now is tough and it's not what you know but who you know in order to keep a supply in the pipeline. The only way we've managed is we've prebought our primers for a year in advance with OEM suppliers who we have relationships with and are willing to hook us up with preferential service.

I can assure you that our retail prices follow our costs and there's no looney conspiracy to gouge among small businesses like us. The only gouging I've seen is where average Joes who invested in lots of ammo over the last few years are now selling and making a profit on their speculation. The prices I've seen on retailers shelves accurately reflect their costs as near as I can tell and in some cases I'm amazed that they are not asking for more money.

good response

exactly. well said ......again

I just had to pay 65 a box for 300 win mag vortex, I was lucky to find. my fault for not stocking up and having enough 30 cal bullets for reloading

Originally Posted by rockinbbar
one thing that is going on, that is driving prices upward, is folks are selling their 'stash't to local gun shops. I have personally seen it happen. In one case, 9mm was sold to the store for .75 a round. The store will sell it for over a dollar a round.

I saw a gun shop bidding and buying bulk ammo the other day. He was scarfing bulk ammo up.

Really don't have a big problem with that, mostly because if he didn't have a market, he wouldn't be doing it.

You can't really impress on people that they need to stock up when prices are low, and ammo is flowing like a river...

You can say it over and over, and people just don't listen. History doesn't teach those type anything.

Those types that DON'T stock up are the same ones squealing like a pig under a gate when they are out or low on ammo. whistle
Originally Posted by 16bore

Yep, not selling any of my stash. Might do even trades for some things I could use more of, like LRP for LPP.

I like to shoot.
Even though I have plenty of ammo, I'm miserly with it.

Instead to hunting hogs with top shelf premium ammo, I use reliable, acceptably accurate cheap bulk ammo. NO FMJ's. It's hunting.... Not paper punching or tin can rattling. Even a hog deserves a clean death.

Caught myself finishing off a hog the other night with my 1911 loaded with 230gr HydroShoks... Ummm.... Nope. Switched those out to ball ammo for that purpose. Cheaper and I have more of them.

Practice with a 22.

Leave the centerfire cartridges where they are. Sparing use the .22lr ammo too, but not at the expense of not practicing or having fun.

In these times, be wise with what you shoot, and how you shoot it.

Yep. Those who stockpiled while prices were low (like during the years 2019) and are selling for current market price are not gougers. They're simply taking profits while the going is good. If it were stocks or gold, we'd applaud them for being smart investors.

Except we don’t have the ability to order from the distributors to cut out the middle man like the LGS does. Anyone can buy a stock or gold, ammo has a middle man (or two) that gets his cut. I wouldn’t sell mine for the going rate because I can’t replace it at reasonable cost. I’m not in the position to sell but I have enough to shoot at normal levels for a year or two. My range trips are limited now and I m mindful of how much i shoot when there because I don’t know when this shortage will end and I don’t want to be in the position of many others who don’t have and must pay the piper.

Have a buddy who recently bought an AR and gets upset when I joke that the selling price for my ammonia the going rate. If SHTF I would give him a fair share at no cost but I have 2 boys in my family and I have to supply them to practice as well. What’s the saying? Lack or preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Interesting and thanks for posting. Would you say that as a manufacturer, component availability is tough because of the shutdowns (in addition to the demand) or do you think those supply channels have opened back up or close to back up to pre virus levels?

Your observation about current prices in big box and local gun stores is consistent with what I've seen too.
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
What’s the saying? Lack or preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

That's it in a nutshell.

Like I said, I told people I know and family more than a year ago they needed to be buying ammo.

Many of the same have shown up asking for ammo, because they didn't.

I usually give them something, but not much.

If they want more they can get on GB and pay the going rate for their ignorance.
Even though I have plenty of ammo, I'm miserly with it.

Instead to hunting hogs with top shelf premium ammo, I use reliable, acceptably accurate cheap bulk ammo. NO FMJ's. It's hunting.... Not paper punching or tin can rattling. Even a hog deserves a clean death.

Caught myself finishing off a hog the other night with my 1911 loaded with 230gr HydroShoks... Ummm.... Nope. Switched those out to ball ammo for that purpose. Cheaper and I have more of them.

Practice with a 22.

Leave the centerfire cartridges where they are. Sparing use the .22lr ammo too, but not at the expense of not practicing or having fun.

In these times, be wise with what you shoot, and how you shoot it.

Yep. I'm well stockpiled, but still don't shoot much during current times, other than black powder (mainly cap and ball revolvers) and .22 rimfire. Only rarely do I now shoot, e.g., .45 (Colt or ACP), 5.56, or 9mm. The latter are just rare treats, now, even though I have lots of it.
What’s the saying? Lack or preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

That's it in a nutshell.

Like I said, I told people I know and family more than a year ago they needed to be buying ammo.

Many of the same have shown up asking for ammo, because they didn't.

I usually give them something, but not much.

If they want more they can get on GB and pay the going rate for their ignorance.

Yep.
The stove has to be hot before you’re convinced not to touch it again.
Originally Posted by Bocajnala

I'm sufficiently stocked up. But I'm hesitant to use any of it-because replacing it may cost me a fortune.

I have enough to hunt and stay practiced enough to hunt. But can't just go shoot recreationally like before.

-Jake

I'm pretty confident we'll never get back to even close to the normal we knew several years ago. In our business we are trying to forecast our component needs out for at least a year so we can assure we are still in business. That represents around 50 million rounds of ammo for our little operation. It's a big risk for us because availability is fickle, plus the stroke of a politicians pen could put us out of business in this current political climate.

The OEM component sources are gambling also. You can bet it's seriously discussed at every staff meeting if it will pay off to expand manufacturing facilities or not. The most obvious safe path is to run current equipment around the clock and do the best you can with what you have.

The changing from the Trump administration to the Biden fiasco has put the fear of God into ammo manufacturers for facility expansion and who can blame them? Every day we agonize over questions of expanding our business and if we will even be able to stay in business due to politics. Because of this we have increased our profit margins a little bit to cushion us from the increased risk we have now days. This contributes a bit to increased ammo price points among our peers, but I wouldn't call it gouging.

It might be a good time to go into business making innovative dry fire equipment.
Offer me $250 a brick and I'll sell all but one of each size.
I know this has been discussed before but from someone who actually has to purchase from suppliers, has your price for loaded ammo really gone up 2.5-3X? That appears to be what is reflected locally and online. Big retailers seem to be holding prices and I can't imagine them losing money intentionally. I don't know enough about the ordering to have a valid opinion but it does appear some online vendors and local shops are gouging to take advantage of the situation we are in. Maybe it's the best way to slow down demand while supply catches back up?

Luckily I reload, but still wish I had several thousand more primers on hand. I'm likely stocked up for over a year at the rate I shoot for small rifle and pistol, longer than that for large rifle. I would like to get back to $0.30/rd ammo on .223 so I can just buy it instead of having to load to shoot.

Maybe you could name some of these "Big Retailers" that have kept their prices down so some of your fellow shooters can get some reasonably priced ammo, I am seeing either rising prices or empty shelves, usually both.

Kaiser Norton
This was posted by a local gun shop. FWIW Last time I was in that shop he had the 9mm priced at $17.99/box one box limit and this was probably 3 weeks ago.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
fortunately I bought primers, 22 & 9mm ammo before the pricing insanity began. No $100 primers, .22's or 9mm for me, thank you so much.

-Jake

I'm pretty confident we'll never get back to even close to the normal we knew several years ago. In our business we are trying to forecast our component needs out for at least a year so we can assure we are still in business. That represents around 50 million rounds of ammo for our little operation. It's a big risk for us because availability is fickle, plus the stroke of a politicians pen could put us out of business in this current political climate.

The OEM component sources are gambling also. You can bet it's seriously discussed at every staff meeting if it will pay off to expand manufacturing facilities or not. The most obvious safe path is to run current equipment around the clock and do the best you can with what you have.

The changing from the Trump administration to the Biden fiasco has put the fear of God into ammo manufacturers for facility expansion and who can blame them? Every day we agonize over questions of expanding our business and if we will even be able to stay in business due to politics. Because of this we have increased our profit margins a little bit to cushion us from the increased risk we have now days. This contributes a bit to increased ammo price points among our peers, but I wouldn't call it gouging.

It might be a good time to go into business making innovative dry fire equipment.

Thanks for taking the time to post. I can understand some inflation to cushion yourself in this climate, any smart businessman would do the same. I was mainly interested in the price discrepancy between large retailers and some of the LGS. A couple of the LGS seem to be content with selling whatever comes in at a reasonable rate, say 25% markup. Others are running on 200-300% markup. Those will be the ones I look at last when and if times get better
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton

Maybe you could name some of these "Big Retailers" that have kept their prices down so some of your fellow shooters can get some reasonably priced ammo, I am seeing either rising prices or empty shelves, usually both.

Kaiser Norton

Academy, Cabelas, Scheels, Rogers Sporting Goods
Originally Posted by copperking81

Interesting and thanks for posting. Would you say that as a manufacturer, component availability is tough because of the shutdowns (in addition to the demand) or do you think those supply channels have opened back up or close to back up to pre virus levels?

Your observation about current prices in big box and local gun stores is consistent with what I've seen too.

To the best of my knowledge the OEM folks have not been hindered too badly by covid. What's really putting the hurt on us is primer demand versus availability. You need to understand that there are only two OEM sources of primers. Two. All the other ammo manufacturers get their primers from these two sources. Period. I happen to know that these two outfits are importing tremendous quantities of primers from Russia to help fill the void, but it's still tough. If Russia hadn't had the foresight to privatize some of their ammo entities in order to get around import laws we would be in a far worse mess than we are now.

Except we don’t have the ability to order from the distributors to cut out the middle man like the LGS does. Anyone can buy a stock or gold, ammo has a middle man (or two) that gets his cut. I wouldn’t sell mine for the going rate because I can’t replace it at reasonable cost. I’m not in the position to sell but I have enough to shoot at normal levels for a year or two. My range trips are limited now and I m mindful of how much i shoot when there because I don’t know when this shortage will end and I don’t want to be in the position of many others who don’t have and must pay the piper.

Have a buddy who recently bought an AR and gets upset when I joke that the selling price for my ammonia the going rate. If SHTF I would give him a fair share at no cost but I have 2 boys in my family and I have to supply them to practice as well. What’s the saying? Lack or preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

anyone can buy in bulk. You just have to make the effort. Wholesalers often have retail setups and if you want 20 rounds you pay. If you want a pallet you get a much better deal...

Anyone lately buying primers they use many of thats not been buying by the case instead of the brick or 1000 is nuts.

-Jake

Dry fire reactive stuff has been out there for years and years...

Just went to a match. Talked to some old friends. They are 2-3 years ahead on supplies and ammo as they should be.

For us, for the most part, IE normal shooting, you don't need to shoot all the time. Once you know how, you know how. Winning matches is different.

That said once we quit matches I rarely ever shoot other than the check sights. Anything else is a waste of ammo.

I get it that some just like to plink. If you didn't see this coming like the huge freight train with big headlights, then you just can't shoot. You need to learn to dry fire. Holding exercises. Shoot rimfire. If that. Pellet guns are SUPER trainers. Though I hear pellets and bbs are getting tough too.

There are ways around this.

And you can even shoot hogs in the head with FMJ. grins. I'd not hesitate a second to shoot a hog with a mag full of FMJ if thats what I had. Just have to use CNS shots.
The hoarding mentality takes over.
How dare a LGS make a profit... it's not like they have to pay the rent or employees... or the electric bill.

I think the biden Administration should create a ammo price gouging task force.... and charge 100% tax on all ammo to pay for the task force (and other Democrat nirvana pet projects) and carefully regulate the price so that no one is being gouged.

GOVERNMENT TO THE RESCUE!!!
Primers are going for up to $50.00 a sleeve of 100 on Gunbroker.

There is my struggle with all of this. I'm hypocritical if I fault someone getting $50 per hundred because I believe in capitalism but I do have my personal line in the sand. Just an example - last week I picked up Federal LR primers for $3.99 per hundred. Granted a limit of 300 per day and figure they didn't last long but the normal prices are out there if you watch or like me in the right place at the right time. FYI - I got those at Scheels in the Dallas area.
Originally Posted by blindshooter

Yep, not selling any of my stash. Might do even trades for some things I could use more of, like LRP for LPP.

I like to shoot.

I’ve been a little more “methodical” in my shooting, just not as much of the goofy stuff.

One good thing has been trading stuff I don’t need for things I do. And vice versa for fella on the other end.
Originally Posted by Bperdue21
This was posted by a local gun shop. FWIW Last time I was in that shop he had the 9mm priced at $17.99/box one box limit and this was probably 3 weeks ago.

That's just based on economic ignorance. The dealers have to price things with replacement cost in mind, regardless of what they paid for their current inventory.

I believe what you say to be the truth but when I go into a LGS - Texas Gun Experience in Grapevine TX - and see Hornady Whitetail Hunter 30/30 @ $79.99 per 20 it sure is hard to buy into the "only passing on our cost" theory. I support capitalism etc. and get it 100% I have the choice to buy but I'm not an idiot (arguably anyway) about what is happening. I do sincerely wish you the best - business should be good for a long time.
good thing has been trading stuff I don’t need for things I do. And vice versa for fella on the other end.

Yep. Just last week I traded a pound of Unique for a pound of Goex FFFg with my next door neighbor. He reloads, and I shoot cap and ball revolvers, so it worked out perfectly.

PS Some of that Unique will be used by him to load me up some .44-40, .45 Colt, and .45 Auto Rim, with once fired brass and large pistol primers that I provided for him.

That's just based on economic ignorance. The dealers have to price things with replacement cost in mind, regardless of what they paid for their current inventory.

Either way, he seems to be getting a pretty good shipment to his gun shop weekly.
My LGS is currently selling Primers for $200-250 per brick. Their reasoning is that they are having a tough time getting them and people are paying $300 + on GB, so they are preventing scalpers from profiting so much. My Local Sportsman’s Warehouse rarely has primers, but I recently bought a brick of Federal LR match primers recently for $28. To the LGS credit, at that price their supply they do get lasts days instead of minutes, increasing availability over time. Downside is those that got caught short pay for lack of foresight. I don’t judge than for doing it, it’s current market conditions. Regarding ammo, I’m sure the story is similar at retail venues. Another LGS requires purchase of 200 bullets with the purchase of a pound of powder. His prices have gone up a bit but are reasonable. Turns out he invested heavily in bullets , powder and primers, but only the powder and primers sold.

Old70

Mee Maw and Pee Paw’s Pawn and Gun

saving us from ourselves, stewards of the community

LOL

Mom and pop shops around here say they are still making the same profit margin they were before and it's the shipping that has gone up for them. Who here owns a shop?

Bullchit, they know more is coming and this will sell almost as quick as it would if it were $20/box so they figure why the hell not mark it up and make $20+ per box. I hope they go out of business for their shenannigans. Got to keep the lights on, pay rent, hourly wages....no you're just as bad as the scalper at the Flea Market, except you didn'y pay as much as he did for it and are making more profit. That's the great thing about capitalism, he has the right to charge what he wants as much as I have the right not to pay his stupid prices. I just get tired of the poor mouthing by dealers who are raping their loyal customers.

Kaiser Norton

Walmart still has fridge packs of 100 game load 12 gauge for $21.94

But we all know the virtue signaling Caribou Bob’s still suck their local LGS cock and “rootin tootin I wont step foot in a walmarts couldnt pay me to go in there, might snag my bolo tie on somethin made in chiner and get choked”

I need some of those game packs. 20 gauge would be great. Our walmart has zip zero.
Back in the Clinton days I was into IPSC matches and Steel plate handgun matches.
Primers started drying up.
I swore I was never gonna get caught flat footed again and I haven't since.

As a result by today's prices I could make a ton of $ but I won't do it.
Fella I work with needed SRPs to load 300 BO, I sold him a brick for $39.95

I have enough components and loaded ammo to keep shooting on a regular basis for several years.

My LGS has nothing in stock.
No ammo other than a few boxes of 8x57, 450 Bushmaster, one box of 250 Savage and some 17Mach2 all at normal prices.
Powder shelves are completely empty and the only bullets they have are .338 ELDMs
[/quote]
One good thing has been trading stuff I don’t need for things I do. And vice versa for fella on the other end.
[/quote]

I have been doing the same. My reloading room had the inventory of a small gun shop, for many calibers I no longer have and stuff I will never use at my age. I have been horse trading for components that I actually use and I have sold the rest of it here at whatever midway has stuff listed at. Nice to reduce some of the clutter. Glad I saw this coming and had everything I needed before it started, it has been interesting to watch. Unfortunately I think it is going to get even crazier the the Dems get around to talking about gun legislation, you know it's coming.

-Jake

Thanks for taking the time to post. I can understand some inflation to cushion yourself in this climate, any smart businessman would do the same. I was mainly interested in the price discrepancy between large retailers and some of the LGS. A couple of the LGS seem to be content with selling whatever comes in at a reasonable rate, say 25% markup. Others are running on 200-300% markup. Those will be the ones I look at last when and if times get better

The LGS has a much smaller target audience than the big retailers with online presence. Online, they can probably get whatever price they want if they wait long enough. LGS has a targeted client base in the community. They too could sell for more online, but if they did, who would ever visit their shop?

We have a local gun store that sends employees to stand in line and wait for the Academy store to open in the morning. They proceed to purchase their limit of the available ammo. They then repackage the acquired ammo into smaller packages with their name on the outside to sell at their store. I guess people are paying the upcharge to not have to stand in line.
I’ve noticed that one of my LGS has raised prices on certain ammo about 30%, others about 10-15%. I am starting to see reloading supplies increase as well, but not at the same rate overall, in stores that is. Now, I do see Bass Pro not being clear on their pricing. Twice I’ve gone to buy some bullets they had on the shelf for one price and then at the cash register, the price is totally different. I’ve also seen Sportsman’s Warehouse do the same thing. I’ve told them to keep it when I catch it. I’ve argued before with both places, only to be given an excuse and that they would not honor the price on the rack. While I may not pay their inflated prices, they know someone else will.
This link is worth reading whether you agree with it or not is up to you -

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2021/2/5/the-truth-behind-the-great-ammo-crisis/

drover

Kaiser Norton

I've bought some ammo and bullets on sale at Cabelas and Scheels, just in the last couple of weeks. And nothing specialized... 44 mag ammo, 175 grain SMKs, etc

-Jake

Is capital available should you want to expand capacity or has that dried up? I could see where getting money right now to build up could be problematic.

-Jake

Is capital available should you want to expand capacity or has that dried up? I could see where getting money right now to build up could be problematic.

I don't perceive capital being as big an issue to expansion as unstable politics which could drastically affect importation of powder and primers.

American shooters have been huge beneficiaries of the privatization of former Soviet Bloc factories which allowed them to feed our appetite. All Biden has to do is stop that flow and we are screwed for years.

At that point why would American companies go through all the expense and trouble to create infrastructure to fill the void when you might get politics that would shut you down?

-Jake

I don't perceive capital being as big an issue to expansion as unstable politics which could drastically affect importation of powder and primers.

American shooters have been huge beneficiaries of the privatization of former Soviet Bloc factories which allowed them to feed our appetite. All Biden has to do is stop that flow and we are screwed for years.

At that point why would American companies go through all the expense and trouble to create infrastructure to fill the void when you might get politics that would shut you down?

Oh, I get it. I figured the finance guys did too and might be holding on capital until they see how it plays out. The overseas primer manufacturing is interesting... I didn't know about them.

The answer is:

When sufficient supplies exist @ "normal" pricing from retailers that they can fully supply the market and "undercut" the secondary (gray) market folks. OR sufficiently high prices from retailers are enough to curtail the current profiting enjoyed by the secondary (gray) market.

The 1st ones to bitch if the retailers raise pricing enough to cut out the gray market, will be the people currently profiting within the gray market.

Bullchit, they know more is coming and this will sell almost as quick as it would if it were $20/box so they figure why the hell not mark it up and make $20+ per box. I hope they go out of business for their shenannigans.

The nearly empty shelves at every gun shop, big-box retailer, and convenience store suggest otherwise. Perhaps UNCC doesn't teach economics?
9,3 x 62 Mauser ammo is under $20 a box... abundant supply. Ammoseek.

Talked to Jesse at JES last night... no huge backlog.

$250 to convert a Winchester 70 or a Remington 700 from 270 or 30-06. That includes return shipping. $25 more if the gun is stainless steel.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Kaiser Norton

Walmart still has fridge packs of 100 game load 12 gauge for $21.94

But we all know the virtue signaling Caribou Bob’s still suck their local LGS cock and “rootin tootin I wont step foot in a walmarts couldnt pay me to go in there, might snag my bolo tie on somethin made in chiner and get choked”

I bought ten of them a week ago. Paid more for the ten packs of 20 though.
Originally Posted by horse1

The nearly empty shelves at every gun shop, big-box retailer, and convenience store suggest otherwise. Perhaps UNCC doesn't teach economics?

A couple of the ones I’m speaking of get in regular shipments nearly weekly, yet they still charge $40/50 for 9mm and $1/rd for 223/5.56. I suppose there are people desperate or dumb enough to pay it, but myself and lots of others see it as gouging and these will be the last places I frequent if it ever turns around. I’ve seen one in particular, Hyatt’s charging ridiculous prices on standard and HV 22 LR, $18.99 for a box of 50. It didn’t appear to be moving that fast so I thank them for keeping it that high so supply maybe can catch up with demand.

The post by that shop in VA confirms what I thought was happening, LGS taking advantage of their loyal customers. They shouldn’t be surprised if they go under when or if times get good again. Maybe they are afraid it won’t and are making as much as they can while they can.
Saw a shop that had ww 3030 for 29.99 a box.
150 gr i think.
Old factory stuff they bought off somebody proly.

Somebody commented the crap was worth a 100 a box LOL
.223 is a buck a round these parts.
Thats 2.5x normal price.
It moves but not super fast
Thats 2.5x normal price.

I bought a 1000 rounds of 223 62gr hollow points yesterday for $360.

Lucked into it though. smile
150 gr i think.

Holy schitt.
Hookeye just made Bwana!!!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
At the LGS yesterday and they had .223 PMC Broze for 14.99 and PMC Tac for 16.99 per 20. I didn’t buy any since I don’t “need” any.

If it was .222 Rem Mag brass (or loaded 🤓) I’d have been all over it. I’m focusing my current attention on the old Bofors Sako Varmint rifle I inherited.
Originally Posted by renegade50
150 gr i think.

Holy schitt.
Hookeye just made Bwana!!!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Never gonna catch up to silent mod though.
Sniffin paint and posting, you got bof skillz.

Not even grasshopper level here
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
At the LGS yesterday and they had .223 PMC Broze for 14.99 and PMC Tac for 16.99 per 20. I didn’t buy any since I don’t “need” any.

If it was .222 Rem Mag brass (or loaded 🤓) I’d have been all over it. I’m focusing my current attention on the old Bofors Sako Varmint rifle I inherited.

Bronze at RK was 7.20 pre panic, normally 7.99
New picture, Bomagaars Supply Storm Lake, Iowa. Nothin' but shotshells.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Back in the 1980s, it was about $5.00 for twenty.

A couple of the ones I’m speaking of get in regular shipments nearly weekly, yet they still charge $40/50 for 9mm and $1/rd for 223/5.56. I suppose there are people desperate or dumb enough to pay it, but myself and lots of others see it as gouging and these will be the last places I frequent if it ever turns around. I’ve seen one in particular, Hyatt’s charging ridiculous prices on standard and HV 22 LR, $18.99 for a box of 50. It didn’t appear to be moving that fast so I thank them for keeping it that high so supply maybe can catch up with demand.

The post by that shop in VA confirms what I thought was happening, LGS taking advantage of their loyal customers. They shouldn’t be surprised if they go under when or if times get good again. Maybe they are afraid it won’t and are making as much as they can while they can.

The only way this gets "solved" is for the retailer to take the margin out of the grey market.

I don't get it, you're pissed about $40-$50 9MM and $1/round 223's and glad for $19/50 .22lr's????
Thats 2.5x normal price.

Sweet!

Im only needing some plinker .22 rf for the kid. As she cant do recoil for health reasons. Port is on right side so proly get a Buckmark and put reflex on it. She said she'd try rifle on the left, but is right eye dominant. Wears glasses so could tape a lens. Still w retina risk...rimfire only.
CCI will sell 9MM ammo to the public when available at $20 a box of 50..

So much for manufacturers outrageously jacking up prices.

Back in the 1980s, it was about $5.00 for twenty.

We sold it in my shop in the 2000’s for $4.95.

We also sold 8# jugs of pistol powder for $35 when we had bought into a huge overstock.

I was merely suggesting that $15 or $16 still ain’t a $1 a round, not that it was a screaming deal. Hence my not buying.

Gas was a nickel and we walked to school 5 miles each way, up hill......

The only way this gets "solved" is for the retailer to take the margin out of the grey market.

I don't get it, you're pissed about $40-$50 9MM and $1/round 223's and glad for $19/50 .22lr's????

It’s a joke.
Thats 2.5x normal price.

Sweet!

Im only needing some plinker .22 rf for the kid. As she cant do recoil for health reasons. Port is on right side so proly get a Buckmark and put reflex on it. She said she'd try rifle on the left, but is right eye dominant. Wears glasses so could tape a lens. Still w retina risk...rimfire only.

If you need some .22lr for your daughter to shoot, PM me, and I'll send her plenty.

No charge.

I'm gonna list some powder I no longer need to strangers......

$65/pound sealed bottles

Am I a scalper ?

Gas was a nickel and we walked to school 5 miles each way, up hill......
In a foot of snow.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

$65/pound sealed bottles

Am I a scalper ?

No more than I'd be if I asked $45.00 for a Silver Eagle I paid $10.00 for years ago.

If you need some .22lr for your daughter to shoot, PM me, and I'll send her plenty.

No charge.

How do you send ammo in compliance with the law?
Went to Bud's yesterday. They had 25 round boxes of 12 gauge 00 buck for $15. It's some brand from France that I've never heard of,..but it seems to be good stuff. It holds about a 6" pattern at 30' through an improved cylinder barrel.

No charge.

Just put that little ORMD symbol on the box...

And ship it UPS Ground.

No charge.

Just put that little ORMD symbol on the box...

And ship it UPS Ground.

How do you get that symbol? Just print it out and tape it to the box?
Yes.

Or even draw it with magic marker...

Got a shipment the other day, and the guy had draw it on there with a Marksalot... laugh
Yes.

Got a shipment the other day, and the guy had draw it on there with a Marksalot... laugh

Oh, so it's pretty casual. I was worried it was some very technical requirement that could get you in deep trouble if you deviated one iota. Good to know.

Any extra charge to ship ammo vs anything else?
My LGS is currently selling Primers for $200-250 per brick. Their reasoning is that they are having a tough time getting them and people are paying $300 + on GB, so they are preventing scalpers from profiting so much.

crazy That's an interesteing way to try to explain it, LOL. Saving us from the gougers by charging just under the top gouger pricing. Most of the LGS are smart enough to keep ammo back for guns they are able to get in becuase no one wants to buy a gun they can't ammo for. I just get a little pissed when you hear and see Academy, Cabelas, etc selling ammo for near pre-panic prices and these local shops are selling it as soon as it comes in a 3 times the price. Someone is either losing their a$$ or gouging, so which is it?

It's a catch-22 for the LGS. Price it normal and it's gone in 60 seconds by scalpers, hoarders and those normal souls who were fortunate enough to be there at the right time. Pricing it higher attenuates the scalping and hoarding activity so the average guy can at least get some if he wants or needs it bad enough, but it surely won't make the average joe happy. The LGS didn't create the situation though.
Yes.

Oh, so it's pretty casual. I was worried it was some very technical requirement that could get you in deep trouble if you deviated one iota. Good to know.

Any extra charge to ship ammo vs anything else?

It’s not bad at all. Just go online and print the postage, list “ammunition” where it asks for “contents” then tape the symbol on it. The biggest pain is taking it to a customer center. Not a UPS store or drop box.

Easy peasy.

Funny think is a nabed a box from work that had the symbol on it. It was from a box of liquid hand sanitizer.

No charge.

Law ?

and 24 HR in the same sentence ?
I went up to the gun show today and they were happy to pay $200 a brick of 1000 primers. Sold 20 thousand. Lot of folks were not prepared.
I’m glad there’s not a run on arrows, that’s gonna be most of my shooting this year.
one thing that is going on, that is driving prices upward, is folks are selling their 'stash' to local gun shops. I have personally seen it happen. In one case, 9mm was sold to the store for .75 a round. The store will sell it for over a dollar a round.

That's not driving prices up, nor is it causing demand to increase. It is merely increasing supply. A 'stash' has nothing to do with the current market. Additional supply usually drives prices down. However, given the increased, sustained demand brought on by the implantation of a communist in the White House, that market dynamic doesn't exist anymore.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

$65/pound sealed bottles

Am I a scalper ?

Nope.
Use to go to the gun range 3 times a week but no more....now maybe once a month...I still have lots of ammo in most calibers but just saving them as I do not know how long this crap is going to go.....i do take out my German made Diana 350 magnum air rifle, just to shoot.
As I have been sorting through my handloading stuff thinking with two sons fairly new handloaders, I found I have 5k each of MPP's large and small as well the same MRP's large and small, all of the magnums that I rarely have a "need" for these days. SPP's and SRP's are really what I use these day and I have 5k of those as well. Figure I can move towards MP's either handgun or rifle just fine by backing off on powder a bit and be fine as I don't chase velocity. Yes?
Something is seriously wrong when a gun owning enthusiast complains about ammunition shortages and high prices,
when he already has literally, thousands of rounds in his possession - and bewails his need for more.

Folks - One Round of ammunition is akin to a good vitamin pill. One A Day should suffice.

I'm shootin' my ammo up....

prob shot 250 9's -------185 ACP's-----100 Marlin 357/38's this week

Got some empties to load today !
Originally Posted by P_Weed
Something is seriously wrong when a gun owning enthusiast complains about ammunition shortages and high prices,
when he already has literally, thousands of rounds in his possession - and bewails his need for more.

Folks - One Round of ammunition is akin to a good vitamin pill. One A Day should suffice.

There are days when once most certainly isn't enough. There are weekends when a thousand, isn't enough.

Who are you to say what I should or shouldn't do in my free time/spend my disposable income on?
Originally Posted by P_Weed

There are days when once most certainly isn't enough. There are weekends when a thousand, isn't enough.

Who are you to say what I should or shouldn't do in my free time/spend my disposable income on?

That's what Fudds do.

They don't understand the concept of freedom, nor the addition of the 2nd Amendment to our Constitution.
I would try quality pellet pistol for practice. Less noise, no recoil, but can practice w/o leaving house/apartment. There is no need to stash thousands of rounds. The only exception might be some uncommon boutique caliber. For me that caliber is .300H&H. Happy to have plenty as now price is about 100€ per box of 20 when one can find some in stock. American-made is now unobtainium and stuff loaded in EU is very, very expensive.
Originally Posted by Slavek
There is no need to stash thousands of rounds.

Ambient temp right now, -15F. What if I want to load ammo this time of year for shooting during the more temperate time of year? Between shotgun, rimfire, and centerfire a "summer" can be 2500-5000 rounds. I'm not "stashing" thousands of rounds. I'm loading them now when it's beastly cold out so that I don't have to waste time loading them when I could be shooting them when it's nice out.

Dad let me "help" him load shells when I got strong enough to "two-thumb" a primer into a case with a Lee Auto-Prime. Hunting and recreational shooting has been a hobby for me since my hands got big enough to reach the trigger on a High Standard Sport-King.

I didn't purchase any of my components or ammo during this shortage, or any of the previous shortages. I'm not about to apologize for having an adequate supply to continue to enjoy my life-long hobby. Moreover, I'm not about to start asking anyone's permission to pursue my hobby either.
Good god, stash thousands of rounds?

Its called stock up when cheap to ne able to shoot more for less.

Not uncommon to shoots hundreds of rounds....a damn week.

Esp if one does any competition.

Some people own guns. Some are gun people.
It appears that the know it alls from across the pond are the former and not latter.

STFU
As a punk kid i put 500 rounds through my dads Python in one weekend.

Considered it just a fun time, a little above avg.

Used to blast a couple hundred .44 mags per week when range was down the road from work.

Used to have shooting parties, cookouts, private ranges.
Went through a lot of ammo....back then.
Two kids w 1022s.......couple bricks a weekend LOL

Going to indoor range for an hour once every couple months.....nothing wrong with that. But that sure as fugg aint the way I grew up.

I was at the outdoor range all the time, trap, .22lr HP rifle and handgun, bow too. We had a pond I fished.

After college worked in same town, got married, had kids.....they fished abd shot at same club when little.

Lifestyle, not a hobby.

Thousands of rounds aint chit. Dont take nothing but a few good weather days to burn that up.

Bullchit, they know more is coming and this will sell almost as quick as it would if it were $20/box so they figure why the hell not mark it up and make $20+ per box. I hope they go out of business for their shenannigans. Got to keep the lights on, pay rent, hourly wages....no you're just as bad as the scalper at the Flea Market, except you didn'y pay as much as he did for it and are making more profit. That's the great thing about capitalism, he has the right to charge what he wants as much as I have the right not to pay his stupid prices. I just get tired of the poor mouthing by dealers who are raping their loyal customers.

And then when they pay uber for the next pallet but the prices fall on the market you expect them to take a loss on what they had at uber prices.. there has to be middle ground. That or you need to get into the gun business and make a fortune
Good god, stash thousands of rounds?

Its called stock up when cheap to ne able to shoot more for less.

Not uncommon to shoots hundreds of rounds....a damn week.

Esp if one does any competition.

Some people own guns. Some are gun people.
It appears that the know it alls from across the pond are the former and not latter.

STFU

You had me at "know it alls".

I really like it when they tell me there is no Gun Control in the UK.
© 24hourcampfire