Home
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...senators-vote-democrats-convict-n1257876
Feb. 13, 2021, 2:51 PM CST
By Dareh Gregorian

The Senate on Saturday voted to acquit former President Donald Trump on a charge of incitement of insurrection largely along party lines, bringing an end to the fourth impeachment trial in U.S. history and the second for Trump.

Only 7 Republicans voted to convict Trump for allegedly inciting the deadly Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol, when a mob of pro-Trump supporters tried to disrupt the electoral vote count formalizing Joe Biden's election win before a joint session of Congress. The final vote was 57 to 43, far short of the 67 votes needed to secure a conviction.

Republican Sens. Richard Burr of North Carolina, Susan Collins of Maine, Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Mitt Romney of Utah, Ben Sasse of Nebraska and Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania all voted guilty.

The vote means the Senate cannot bar Trump from holding future federal offices.

With control of the Senate split 50-50, the House managers always had an uphill battle when it came to convincing enough Republicans to cross party lines and convict a former president who is still very popular with a large part of the GOP base.

In his closing argument, House manager Joe Neguse, D-Colo., argued, "The stakes could not be higher. Because the cold, hard truth is that what happened on January 6 can happen again. I fear, like many of you do, that the violence we saw on that terrible day may be just the beginning."

Lead impeachment manager Jamie Raskin, D-Md., urged the senators to think of the future.

"Senators, this trial, in the final analysis, is not about Donald Trump. The country and the world know who Donald Trump is. This trial is about who we are, who we are," Raskin said.

Trump lawyer Michael van der Veen, meanwhile, insisted his client did nothing wrong and maintained he was the victim of vengeful Democrats and a biased news media. He called the impeachment proceedings a "charade from beginning to end."

The managers' task became more difficult Saturday when Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell announced in an email to his colleagues that he would vote to acquit since Trump was already out of office.

"While a close call, I am persuaded that impeachments are a tool primarily of removal and we therefore lack jurisdiction," the influential Kentucky Republican wrote in the email, which was obtained by NBC News.

McConnell, who'd rebuffed Democratic efforts to start the trial while Trump was still in office, had condemned Trump's conduct after the riot and said he'd keep an open mind about voting to convict — something he'd ruled out entirely during Trump's first impeachment trial last year.

McConnell suggested in the email that Trump could still face other penalties.

"The Constitution makes perfectly clear that Presidential criminal misconduct while in office can be prosecuted after the President has left office, which in my view alleviates the otherwise troubling 'January exception' argument raised by the House," he wrote.

Opening arguments began on Wednesday, with House managers blaming the riot on Trump's months-long campaign to cast doubt on the 2020 election, and his repeated assertions that the only way he would lose was if the election was "stolen." They focused on his fiery speech on the morning of the Jan. 6 riot, where he urged his supporters to "fight like hell" — and his refusal to take action after they did.

Trump declined a request from managers to testify at the trial, and refused to even submit a statement for it, facts Raskin urged senators to keep in mind on Saturday.

"I ask any of you, if you were charged with inciting violent insurrection against our country, and you're falsely accused, would you come and testify? I know I would," Raskin said.

The trial was the fourth of an impeached president. No president has ever been convicted.
MAGAA!
What did we pay for that dog and pony show?
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
MAGAA!

Don’t blow a gasket . Easy fella
We've got work to do. Every one of those jackasses that voted to convict are traitors and should be tried for treason.
They interrupted Pebble Beach for this stupid fugking schit.

All they kept saying was that at no time did Trump's defense team state that there was election fraud. LOL

Methinks they doth protest too much.

Pathetic.
Wonder how much crap is going to burn tonight?
Originally Posted by rainshot
We've got work to do. Every one of those jackasses that voted to convict are traitors and should be tried for treason.

Hope it works out that way!
MAGAA!

Yep!!!

The Talking Heads at ABC are having a mental midget meltdown.

“Trump Bad” “We’re Afraid”
A trial that should have never happened!
Trump’s attorney’s destroyed their illegal impeachment in his closing arguments.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
MAGAA!

Yep!!!

The Talking Heads at ABC are having a mental midget meltdown.

“Trump Bad” “We’re Afraid”

All this after they "won."

Fugking pathetic.
Undisputed impeachment champion.
Trump’s attorney’s destroyed their illegal impeachment in his closing arguments.
He also made a mockery of their evidence yesterday.
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Undisputed impeachment champion.
lol

For real. Impeached twice. Acquitted twice.
In his closing argument, House manager Joe Neguse, D-Colo., argued, "The stakes could not be higher. Because the cold, hard truth is that what happened on January 6 can happen again. I fear, like many of you do, that the violence we saw on that terrible day may be just the beginning."

Well, if you idiots keep it up it is just the beginning.
Mitt is no more GOP than I am DEM.

Put that flaming pile of dog schit Mitt Romney on the top of the list !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Well, if you idiots keep it up it is just the beginning.

Fact.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Mitch is sure giving Romney a run for his money to win the hypocrit category!
Cassidy can go fuck himself.
Time for the Patriots to start a new party!
SUCK ON THAT LIBs.
It's a win for the country.[Linked Image from almanac.com]
Originally Posted by BobBrown
What did we pay for that dog and pony show?

#RelevantOnlyToUsWhoPayTaxes

#WelfareEatersDontCare

MAGA

🦫
Originally Posted by wabigoon
It's a win for the country.[Linked Image from almanac.com]

Amen.
Well, they failed again with this impeachment, now they will try to bar him from running again by using the 14th amendment. They are so afraid of him and us, they will never quit.

Just did some research and found it still takes 2/3rd of both house ans senate in order to invoke the 14th. It will be a total waste for the dems, but you know they are going to try.
Now that they have that colossal distraction out of the way, our government can get back to work attacking the fundamental rights of the citizenry.
Now if Trump will just start a media company and drip the fraud evidence on them every day. ;-{>8

SUCK IT SNOWFLAKES!
Romney is such a piece of schit
Originally Posted by kingston
Now that they have that colossal distraction out of the way, our government can get back to work attacking the fundamental rights of the citizenry.

Yep...Bend over and spread 'em...
Originally Posted by antlers
He also made a mockery of their evidence yesterday.

That gentleman is good, very good.
True, I would rather have this trial dragged out for 6 months...
Originally Posted by boatanchor

Put that flaming pile of dog schit Mitt Romney on the top of the list !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mormons are too damn trusting of their own kind. romney was toast before today so it didn’t matter what he did, it’s just too bad they had to elect him to figure it out.
Republican Sens. Richard Burr of North Carolina, Susan Collins of Maine, Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Mitt Romney of Utah, Ben Sasse of Nebraska and Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania all voted guilty.

Don't forget.

Especially in primary time.
I wonder what Vegas odds are on these 7 not running for office next term?
North Carolina is more red than blue. Louisiana is more red than blue. Alaska is more red than blue, Utah is more red than blue. Nebraska is more red than blue. So, if the Republicans get good people to run against these, we may get 5 new GOP seats in the senate next time they are up. All we need is 1 in 2022 to take back control of the senate.
We The People need to totally abandon the Republican Party.

There needs to be a movement. And soon.
Oh they'll run, no reason not to.
I cant post on [bleep] for 3 days because I made dicks out of the demoschits
That prick Burr is supposed to be retiring so I am not surprised at how he voted.
Two of the R dorks voted that the proceedings were unconstitutional and then voted to convict. Talk about daft
Duly noted, and to pound into group memory, here again are those 7 swine that sided with the demoRATS.

And the best part:

The vote means the Senate cannot bar Trump from holding future federal offices.

Now FOAD, commies.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
We The People need to totally abandon the Republican Party.

There needs to be a movement. And soon.
Way ahead of you. Two earlier today. I named one Mitt and the other Mitch and waved to them as they circled the drain. Both were hard to flush.

Don't forget.

Problem is a few of these won't have a primary for 5 years.
Acquittal is probably best news I've heard today. Made me smile.👍
Originally Posted by lostleader

Don't forget.

The real problem is the short memory of the voters which generally goes hand-in-hand with low IQ's.
I have doubts that the country will last five more years with these people in charge.
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
That prick Burr is supposed to be retiring so I am not surprised at how he voted.

Burr will most likely retire and he’s never been a Trump supporter and mostly stayed silent at best. Plus remember he got off on the precovid stock sell off and it wouldn’t surprise me if his getting off was precondition to him not running. Dems don’t raise hell at Burr not getting busted because they get a fresh shot at getting a Dem in Burr’s seat. Pat McCory former republican NC governor wants to run for his seat and while I like him, he’s establishment and will play the DC game if he gets there. Not sure who in NC will step up and most likely be a party player. At least Burr doesn’t have to stay in the closet over his lack of Trump support..... I’m still calling his office Monday and everyone else should too. Start sending messages to WBT Radio where McCory has a show and tell him what is expected if he runs.....
Originally Posted by lostleader

Don't forget.

The real problem is the short memory of the voters which generally goes hand-in-hand with low IQ's.

Yeah, time is the politician's friend.

But no matter what, they need to be primaried. Whenever that may be.
Why are Paddler and SA Charlie not chiming in?
For a long time I have thought we needed term limits to be able to purge the swamp and keep it from getting deep like it currently is. Then I happened to think about it and thought about a potential problem that might occur. If we don't get the right people in there, without any longer having the fear of not being re-elected, they could and would vote however they wanted instead of how they think their constituents want them to. It makes you wonder how many more Republicans might have voted to impeach if they didn't have to worry about being re-elected. The same thing applies to say any gun control vote they may have to face. As much as I think many of these a-holes need to be gone, I am afraid of the double edged sword we might face. It is sad that we can't trust any of them.
Originally Posted by szihn

sixty-nine dude! sick
Ttt
We've got work to do. Every one of those jackasses that voted to acquit are traitors and should be tried for treason.

FIFY!!
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
Time for the Patriots to start a new party!

That would be awesome. Do it!!

Still here. 43 Republicans are traitors, including one of my senators. Lee's a worthless POS.
Originally Posted by Paddler

Still here. 43 Republicans are traitors, including one of my senators. Lee's a worthless POS.

If anyone would know a worthless POS it’s you dumbass. You see one everyday looking back at you in the mirror. Your mother should have swallowed.

You’re a Utard? I thought you were from Boulder...
Originally Posted by 240NMC
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

Burr will most likely retire and he’s never been a Trump supporter and mostly stayed silent at best. Plus remember he got off on the precovid stock sell off and it wouldn’t surprise me if his getting off was precondition to him not running. Dems don’t raise hell at Burr not getting busted because they get a fresh shot at getting a Dem in Burr’s seat. Pat McCory former republican NC governor wants to run for his seat and while I like him, he’s establishment and will play the DC game if he gets there. Not sure who in NC will step up and most likely be a party player. At least Burr doesn’t have to stay in the closet over his lack of Trump support..... I’m still calling his office Monday and everyone else should too. Start sending messages to WBT Radio where McCory has a show and tell him what is expected if he runs.....

McCrory is just another slimy politician. If he is the Republican nominee it will just about guarantee a Democratic victory.

You might want to consider terminating your trolling here Jon.

You are not anonymous.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Your wife Colleen turned 71 in September.

Your middle name is Alan.

You first registered with the democrats in Utah on October 30th 1986.

You live at 435x S Lynne Ln Holladay, Ut 84124-3643

Phone number Phone: (801) 277-717x

Prior to living where you do now, you lived at 785 E Empire Cir Salt Lake City.

That was from November 2000 to May 2013.

Now this is a friendly warning..

What might happen is perhaps a person who has a background as a professional investigator teaches a few people from the Campfire that you have been especially egregious to about places to go on the internet that are perfectly legal and contain all manner of public information/records. Think of that information as "threads that unravel a tapestry".

There is a LOT of your information that is out there in cyber space that has not been listed, since I am actually a pretty nice guy...

God forbid the fire members get a hold of certain public info..

Perhaps it is time to consider retiring from the Fire..

Karma paddled you.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

You might want to consider terminating your trolling here Jon.

You are not anonymous.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Your wife Colleen turned 71 in September.

Your middle name is Alan.

You first registered with the democrats in Utah on October 30th 1986.

You live at 435x S Lynne Ln Holladay, Ut 84124-3643

Phone number Phone: (801) 277-717x

Prior to living where you do now, you lived at 785 E Empire Cir Salt Lake City.

That was from November 2000 to May 2013.

Now this is a friendly warning..

What might happen is perhaps a person who has a background as a professional investigator teaches a few people from the Campfire that you have been especially egregious to about places to go on the internet that are perfectly legal and contain all manner of public information/records. Think of that information as "threads that unravel a tapestry".

There is a LOT of your information that is out there in cyber space that has not been listed, since I am actually a pretty nice guy...

God forbid the fire members get a hold of certain public info..

Perhaps it is time to consider retiring from the Fire..

Karma paddled you.
© 24hourcampfire