Home
Posted By: FishinHank Anyone make it to states? - 02/14/21
I was lucky enough to make it to states twice for cross country in high school. I got smoked but it was a good experience at the time. Any other people on the fire make it to states in high school? I know my woman made it a few times as a sprinter. I went to high school with a guy that won the state championship for the pentathalon. Got a full ride to Penn State. Now he's an organic farmer.
Originally Posted by FishinHank
I was lucky enough to make it to states

No, you werent. You were good enough. thats how it works.

Any other people on the fire make it to states in high school?

My son did quite well in county's but didnt qualify for states (yet). He's just a frosh.

We made states in football all 4years of HS, but I didnt come out with a ring.

Good times. Great experiences.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Anyone make it to states? - 02/14/21
I made it to state (Kansas) in the FFA entomology contest. Niece made it in girls basketball, and they won the state.
I just found out last fall that my fishing buddy was a bit of a local track star, setting a school record (which still stands) as an 8th grader of 4.46 for the mile. I don't recall how he did at states.
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I just found out last fall that my fishing buddy was a bit of a local track star, setting a school record (which still stands) as an 8th grader of 4.46 for the mile. I don't recall how he did at states.

That's quick! I never broke 5:00 in the mile. Drove my coach nuts. Ran a 5:01 a few times in the first half of the 3200m. Never could punch through that wall.
My uncle ran a 4:24 on a cinder track back in the day. That was a true mile too
Made states as a sprinter, pole vault and 4x400 relay - school record there we had a shot at states in relay til our 2nd leg guy didn't show. I ran first leg, gave him a tie for the lead, we were last after his leg

Made state finals in football, lost by a field goal
Posted By: ingwe Re: Anyone make it to states? - 02/14/21
I made it to 'states' on our high school ROTC Rifle Team...

If you can imagine a time when schools had rifle teams....
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Anyone make it to states? - 02/14/21
went to States two out of the three years I wrestled. quit my senior year when the new coachs aid we had to proactice on opening day of Buck season at 830 AM made State all star 2 times playing football
Qualified for state Dashes( 100,220, 440) four years in a row. School refused to spend money to send a single student to state meet.
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Qualified for state Dashes( 100,220, 440) four years in a row. School refused to spend money to send a single student to state meet.

Damn man.
Won State Football Championship 12-0, 1971, 473-42 points.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
My Defensive end and Co-Captain just prior to kickoff of Championship game
49 years later at our former high school State playoff game.
Grand Daughter first team All State Volleyball 49 years later.
Nice!
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Anyone make it to states? - 02/14/21
My son made it to the states finals for his age bracket in hockey a couples years ago. Qualified again last year but gov bitchmer cancelled the tournament on them
Went to the New England tournament in wrestling. Dislocated my shoulder in the first round so I was screwed. Gritted it out and finished 3rd in my weight class. I was happy with that considering the injury.
I never did. Both kids went to the state pool - daughter in swimming and son for diving.

The boy went to D-2 NCAA nationals 3 years running for diving.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Anyone make it to states? - 02/14/21
Last year the kid's marching band took the state championship for, IIRC, the 12th year in a row.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Anyone make it to states? - 02/14/21
We won Class "B" State Baseball Championship my senior year. I was center fielder.
Posted By: EdM Re: Anyone make it to states? - 02/14/21
Originally Posted by ingwe

1875?
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Anyone make it to states? - 02/14/21
Got injured as a freshman so my sports activities ended then. My true competitiveness didn't show for a couple years so it would not have mattered.

Participated in FFA competitions. Won state competition in one of the most competitive states in the nation.

Now my kids are involved in high school activities.

Daughter's softball team won 2 years ago. Season cancelled last year. Her freshman year the volleyball team won state also but she was jv. She has competed very well in state speech competitions in FFA as well. Making state numerous times. Placing as high as 2nd. She is returning again this year as the district prepared speech champion. She is poised to do well at state this year. That is her goal because she wants to move forward to the national competition.

Son is a sophomore. Made it to state last years wrestling. Ended up 5th. Years previous he has won state in freestyle and greco both in usaw. Placed as high as 2 in folk in aau. Divisionals coming up in a couple weeks and then state. Barring injury he will be in it at state this year.
Lucky enough to attend a school with a pretty good athletic history. My wrestling team won just about everything you can win during my time there. My Jr year we were ranked #3 in the country. Pretty good considering this school only graduates 75 kids a year. Tiny school with a rich tradition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulsboro_High_School
Posted By: poboy Re: Anyone make it to states? - 02/14/21
Class AAAA Spelling Bee Champs

I only made it to the 100 yd dash Regional finals as a senior but when I looked at the other runners from my outside 8th lane position, I realized I was the only cracker running. And I finished 8th as well. crazy

Our mile relay did qualified for state when I was a junior and one of the regulars was injured so I was the substitute for the 1st leg - I hated running the quarter mile. We took 5th overall in class B in the state of Michigan that year.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Anyone make it to states? - 02/14/21

Quite a few still do. KOFA High School in Yuma AZ has a great Marine Corps JROTC rifle team , very active and well-equipped, they travel quite a bit and bring home the gold quite frequently.
Posted By: kroo88 Re: Anyone make it to states? - 02/14/21
Wrestling and golf.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Anyone make it to states? - 02/14/21
I qualified 3 years in a row for 100,200 and high hurdles and half mile relay. and 2 years throwing discus. When there each year I felt fortunate that I obviously was in a very slow district.
Lots of fun though
My partner and I won for land leveling in FFA my junior year, forgot about that.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Anyone make it to states? - 02/14/21
Won the state high school archery championship my junior year (1979).
Originally Posted by tpcollins

I only made it to the 100 yd dash Regional finals as a senior but when I looked at the other runners from my outside 8th lane position, I realized I was the only cracker running. And I finished 8th as well. crazy

Our mile relay did qualified for state when I was a junior and one of the regulars was injured so I was the substitute for the 1st leg - I hated running the quarter mile. We took 5th overall in class B in the state of Michigan that year.

The 600 is the absolute worse. Be glad you only had to run a 400
Posted By: benchman Re: Anyone make it to states? - 02/14/21
State Chorus!!! Much later in life, I did become a state, national, and world record holder in weightlifting.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Anyone make it to states? - 02/14/21
Originally Posted by jnyork

Quite a few still do. KOFA High School in Yuma AZ has a great Marine Corps JROTC rifle team , very active and well-equipped, they travel quite a bit and bring home the gold quite frequently.

Good to know. My five man team brought home more trophies than ALL the other teams combined, football, basketball etc....
I went to State in swimming. 50 & 100 yard free, 100 yard fly and 400 yard medley.

Our son was a nationally rated Quarterback and placed 5th overall in the Topgun showcase in South Carolina.

Our daughter has all the makings of a standout player in either softball or volleyball.
Posted By: Judman Re: Anyone make it to states? - 02/14/21
Twice in wrestling, football coach was garbage, after playing my freshman year, I decided huntin was more important. Glad I did it.
Never as a team but was All State Linebacker my Senior year. Made finals in 800m my Junior year, but blew my ankle out my senior year playing basketball when I came down with a rebound and landed all fooked up. Held school record of about 10 years.

Still made All district as a first baseman my senior year as I could hit the long ball that didn’t require a lot of running.

Finished district baseball on Thursday and started basic at Fort Jackson the following week.
I was a swimmer. We won 4 straight state championships in 84, 85, 86 and 87, runner up my senior year in 1988. I won 3 individual titles, one in 1987 and two in 1988.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Anyone make it to states? - 02/14/21
My son made it to state finals as captain of his science olympiad team.
My daughter made it to state finals in cross country.

Both times my wife had to drive a team of teen agers for 5 hours to the event.
Originally Posted by dale06
I made it to state (Kansas) in the FFA entomology contest.

Did it bug you that you didnt win 1st place?

;-)
Originally Posted by hunter4623
Lucky enough to attend a school with a pretty good athletic history. My wrestling team won just about everything you can win during my time there. My Jr year we were ranked #3 in the country. Pretty good considering this school only graduates 75 kids a year. Tiny school with a rich tradition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulsboro_High_School

Yes it is.

I didnt wrestle but my buddies did. We were always very good.

Paulsboro was on another level.
Originally Posted by benchman
and world record holder in weightlifting.

That deserves a quote. I cannot fathom the amount of work that must go into something like that.
Lucky enough to attend a school with a pretty good athletic history. l

"pretty good". lol
I was on an Idaho state champion cross country team in '65. Back then, the courses were only 2 miles. Now they're 5K.
Capital HS, Boise. It was a brand new school and we won the school's 1st trophy of any kind.
lol I drank beer and hung out with the rednecks in high school, no sports, the track coach did try to get me to join when I was 15 because I could beat most of his guys running the mile.

My brother was an all-state strong safety class 5a set several records "two-way starter", starting Quarterback for the first quarter then strong safety the whole game, he also set the state pole vault record back in 85. Call him uncle Rico now.
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Anyone make it to states? - 03/06/21
Could’ve made it many times, they just don’t have categories for what I excel at.
Posted By: benchman Re: Anyone make it to states? - 03/06/21
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by benchman
and world record holder in weightlifting.

That deserves a quote. I cannot fathom the amount of work that must go into something like that.

Thanks. When you are doing it, it just becomes something that you just always do. It took a long time, and I appreciate it more, now that I've had some challenges. I still have a fair amount of strength, enough to scare a few geared, drug free open world records, but no longer really have the necessary ambition . In my age catagory, I'm still well above geared records. The mental toughness is the key. I don't think I have it anymore.
Went to State track meet in the 400 meter. Got smoked.

I actually thought I was winning for a moment coming through turn 4. Nobody was near me as I came out of the turn, thought I had it in the bag. Looked to the finish line and then realized all 7 nogs had just finished. Lol.

My region was pretty white. I won a bunch.
State meet in Augusta was a completely different matter. Probably felt like Birdwatcher on his Africa trip to Zamunda. 😂
Went to my first school sporting event to watch my daughter
play volleyball.

Never had a bit of interest. That stuff was for city kids.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I was on an Idaho state champion cross country team in '65. Back then, the courses were only 2 miles. Now they're 5K.

That’s quite a difference.....from 2 miles in 1965 to 5,000 miles today....😁
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Lucky enough to attend a school with a pretty good athletic history. l

"pretty good". lol

Maybe a touch better than just pretty good blush
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Anyone make it to states? - 03/08/21
My son just finished his wrestling season.

Won divisionals last weekend so he went in seeded #1 for the eastern part of the state.

Finished the tournament last night where he won. Either pinned or majored every opponent. Nice way to finish the last tournament of the year and was 1 of 2 state champions on his team.
Posted By: DMc Re: Anyone make it to states? - 03/08/21
Oldest daughter went to State in diving (HS) after winning district and regional.
Posted By: memtb Re: Anyone make it to states? - 03/08/21

Nothing here.....pretty good at a lot of stuff great at nothing. 4:40 - 4:45 mile, 51 + 1/4 mile, later in life a 10 miler a few seconds under 60 minutes, a 2:54 Marathon....should have been much better. memtb
© 24hourcampfire