Home
Posted By: fburgtx Rolling Power Outages in Texas - 02/16/21
https://www.yahoo.com/news/those-power-outages-fort-worth-231231638.html

Dems and ERCOT making excuses. They had a perfectly good coal fired plant (Big Brown), that they (ERCOT) allowed to be shuttered, approx 3 years ago, that could’ve helped them avoid this.

Guess the wind turbines ain’t cutting it....
Its only fair they provide cutoffs to Biden voters IMHO. And the like ilk.

Conservatives have the big picture and there would be minimal if any issues had it been run that way...
I have folks in the League City area and they’ve been without power for 17 hours so far.
A buddy of mine in Fort Worth is going on 14 hours. He bailed to a friend's when his own house got into the 40's indoors.
Need to go right for the leaders. There is no reason the power should be shut off. There are people that can't live without power. Oxygen generators and many other devices.
Yep. Well, Big Brown even had its’ OWN MINE right next to it. (They did bring in Wyoming coal to mix, so it would burn cleaner). The Dems and the EPA were on their azz for years, and ERCOT finally let the owners shut the whole thing down. “Plenty of generating capacity”, they said.

State keeps growing, and they think a bunch of wind/solar is up to the task. Same idiocy as what’s happening in Cali...
Posted By: EdM Re: Rolling Power Outages in Texas - 02/16/21
We were out from about 5 AM to 5 PM or so. The fan is spinning on the insert again. The pup is loving the snow.
Doing same in the urban areas of SWMO too.
The idiot “token” niqqa Houston Mayor was blaming it l on the Wind Turbines being frozen. In the old days, he’d be strung up from one of those colossal abortions.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Brown_Power_Plant

ERCOT found the two-unit Big Brown plant was "not required to support ERCOT transmission system reliability", and authorized its closure by February 12, 2018.[14]
Wonder how the grid will work when they mandate electric vehicles everywhere?
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

You’ll charge it with a diesel genset. 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

Good point!
If you lived in Texas, where would you send your kids to college?
Fugg!!! Another Rolling Fuggin Blackout just started here. 😡
Originally Posted by 10at6
If you lived in Texas, where would you send your kids to college?

TAMU 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 🤠
Doing it here in Missouri as well. I believe it is a setup. We have had cold weather for longer periods and not had these issues.
My Daughter around Waco has not had power since last night.

What is happening is just a taste of what will come if those fools do away with oil/gas and coal fired power plants.

The solar and wind things are a good thought but just don't cut it in the real world on their own.

In the real world *hit happens when you least expect it.
Originally Posted by MM879
Need to go right for the leaders. There is no reason the power should be shut off. There are people that can't live without power. Oxygen generators and many other devices.

Wife has been on battery power for since 3 this morning. I disconnected her power module as the backup
Battery in it is a 10 minute emer. Thing. Thankfully her batteries are being recharged as the power comes back.
I don’t think “rolling power outages” are supposed to last 17 hours.
https://www.infowars.com/posts/a-special-message-from-the-infowars-command-center/

Alex goes through the details and reason for the blackouts in detail. You can skip the ad.
Liberals are so fugging stupid about everything. There's no reason why power can't be an all of the above solution. Fossil fuels and renewable energy. As always, they have to have their way 100% or it's unacceptable.
We are on the 12th “power on” since 2:00a.m.
It’s horseschidt.
Been shopping whole house generators on my phone most of the day.
Learning lots.
some of eastern Colo. residents being told to limit electric use because the system wasn't keeping up with demand due to solar not producing due to clouds and turbines having to be shut down due to cold and ice.
Yeah, and they want to go 100% green by 2035. Ha ha ha. No better time to be shopping for whole house gen. to run on my propane.

Think this will cause any liberal "green new deal" idiots from changing their tune. Not a chance.
Ok power on. Last blackout lasted 20 min. Been like this all day. Averaging about 35-45 minute power outages. Then power on for half hour or so. All day long. Guess I shouldn't complain. Least we have some power! My heart goes out to those w/o power.
The wind generators got frozen in the ice storm. Looks like wind is not as reliable as coal or natural gas.
Joe & Da Ho & AOC gonna fix this right up wid da clean energy............wind & solar, dontchaknow.

No problemo......................can't have all that dirty oil & coal makin' a mess.

MM
And Power off. That lasted about 10 minutes. Like I said. Like this since 3 this morning.
Posted By: RDW Re: Rolling Power Outages in Texas - 02/16/21
Originally Posted by fburgtx

Dems and ERCOT making excuses. They had a perfectly good coal fired plant (Big Brown), that they (ERCOT) allowed to be shuttered, approx 3 years ago, that could’ve helped them avoid this.

A pipeline full of oil would be a sh ! t ton more valuable than a bunch of fk'n frozen windmills or snow covered solar panels right now.
Hopefully this is an eye opener to the green crowd.

probably not..
Originally Posted by TRnCO
some of eastern Colo. residents being told to limit electric use because the system wasn't keeping up with demand due to solar not producing due to clouds and turbines having to be shut down due to cold and ice.
Yeah, and they want to go 100% green by 2035. Ha ha ha. No better time to be shopping for whole house gen. to run on my propane.

Think this will cause any liberal "green new deal" idiots from changing their tune. Not a chance.

The big Generac units I used to install at our remote sites came set up to run on NG. They came with the orifice to convert to propane and that’s how we did it since they were generally out in the middle of a pasture or somewhere. But if you already have natural gas at your house you might want to just plumb it in that way. I’ve been through lots of ice storms and seen it slick enough the propane truck couldn’t get out but I’ve never seen the gas get shut off due to weather. Our service guy said they run a little better on NG too. Steer clear of the units with the Cherry engines, go Mitsubishi for way better reliability if Generac is on your radar. Whatever you get wire mesh every possible opening from pinhole on up, rodents and dirt dobbers are the #1 cause of issues. Just FYI.
Originally Posted by Morewood

probably not..

Nah. They’d rather spend millions on “diversity officers” at the state universities, as opposed to maintaining “skeleton crews” at 2/3/4 power plants, that could be fired up when major heat waves/cold fronts come through.....
I’m sure all the politicians don’t have power in this blackout, right?
Originally Posted by rost495
Its only fair they provide cutoffs to Biden voters IMHO. And the like ilk.

I'd absolutely love to see that happen.
Green power sucks because there are no backups. In cold and heat wind generators freeze or burn. You always need back ups. Technology just is not there yet. Even solar needs backups.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/mexico-once-climate-leader-now-110003131.html

Now they can send their poor, AND their pollution over the border....
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
Doing it here in Missouri as well. I believe it is a setup.

What’s the purpose of the setup and who is behind it? Serious question because I have the same feeling.

Truth, in the land of the greatest natural gas production, there is no market for.

People in the know say they have more than they can process into electricity.
A lot of those petro chemical plants down on Galveston Bay even do cogeneration.
Posted By: EdM Re: Rolling Power Outages in Texas - 02/16/21
And yet folks like cheap gasoline...
My son lives in Pflugerville and they lost power to their water treatment plant and have no water at all at their home. Their power company Oncor says they have no idea when they'll get the power back on at the plant.
We have been off 14 hours, getting cold in here.
We’re having rolling blackouts just about every hour. On for an hour then off for an hour. Feeling blessed compared to a lot of my fellow Texans.
That's some great fugkin' journalism.

"There's no power."

Well no fugking schit there's no power. WHY is there no fugking power?

And don't tell me those fugkin' windmills froze because that's a bunch of horse schit.
Biggest bunch of doo doo I've ever seen.
Supposed to be off like an hour at the time.
Last night during the wee hours it went off and
stayed until about 6 PM this evening. Stayed on
for not quite 2 hours and hasn't been back yet.
I've heard a lot of excuses, but no facts

If it's near freezing inside the house, and
they restore power, does it not take way
more power with the heat running WFO
to bring it back up than if the heat is just
coming on for a few minutes at a time to
maintain the proper temperature?
I don't see how it could be anything but
Don’t worry.....they’re just switching over to the summer blend and doing some quarterly maintenance and cleaning that requires them to shut down completely.......never mind, different thread. 😂
Originally Posted by deflave

"There's no power."

And don't tell me those fugkin' windmills froze because that's a bunch of horse schit.

Pretty sure that journalism would be more accurate if it would say there's not enough coal or natural gas because they used to burn a lot of coal in what is now being burning natural gas and now the natural Supply and stand Across the Nation. Thank you Greenie Democrats and Obama you should gather the names of all these people in your area like this and thank them personally
Originally Posted by EdM

Like diesel propane and natural gas as well as the farmers that burn these materials to produce food at a reasonable cost also carry on
Originally Posted by ldholton

"There's no power."

Pretty sure that journalism would be more accurate if it would say there's not enough coal or natural gas because they used to burn a lot of coal in what is now being burning natural gas and now the natural Supply and stand Across the Nation. Thank you Greenie Democrats and Obama you should gather the names of all these people in your area like this and thank them personally

OK.

But as a whole, a southern schit hole consumes waaaay more energy in the summer than in the winter.

And everybody knew it was going to get cold this week.

So how the fugk is there no power?

"There's no power."

I got yo answer deflave...we live in a third world nation and folks just can’t accept the fact.

"There's no power."

OK.

But as a whole, a southern schit hole consumes waaaay more energy in the summer than in the winter.

A whole lot of Southern Homes are electrically heated text lots of electricity to do this when it's that abnormally cold when the homes are not built for that
Originally Posted by RHutch
It’s horseschidt.
Learning lots.

Check with the city people to make sure you can use it
before you start spending money. When we had an ice
storm a good while back, the line coming into the
house got yanked out, and I had to have a new lead in
and meter box put up. I wanted the electrician to
put up a generator connection and all the required
bypass stuff and the people he had to go through
to get the permits and inspections and sign off and
such wouldn't allow it. Said it was not in code or
some something like that. Without the city inspector
signing off and permits and such that means no
insurance and an excuse to deny any claims etc..

Big barrel they have you over, and it's full of poop

"There's no power."

OK.

Political payback. 😉

A whole lot of Southern Homes are electrically heated text lots of electricity to do this when it's that abnormally cold when the homes are not built for that

Bull fugkin' schit.

And in case you missed it, a thermos keep cold things cold, and hot things hot.

Somebody schit the bed.

Bull fugkin' schit.

And in case you missed it, a thermos keep cold things cold, and hot things hot.

Somebody schit the bed.

Lmao carry on installation of keeping it there is one thing the efficiency of cooling or heating is an entirely different deal. And in case you s*** the bed it ain't just Texas with the same problem
My take on the answer I'm getting is that
the power people oversold their ability to
supply power with all the newly built homes
in the state, and now that the finite power
supply is stretched to the limit, all those
extra plates they sat at the table won't all
get a slice of the regular sized ham.
Kinda like when they keep selling concert
tickets when there's no more seats.

Lmao carry on installation of keeping it there is one thing the efficiency of cooling or heating is an entirely different deal. And in case you s*** the bed it ain't just Texas with the same problem

Which other states are having self induced rolling blackouts?
Broadcast from Austin texas. Power off and generator running. The word is that the state paid billions of tax $ to build big power plants that exported electric to the other states.80s-90s... But the cities shut them down. Lots aren't even being used now because of some al gore initiative I think. A panel of city leaders and one mentioned that they have to break the will [of the people.] 43+min.

https://www.brighteon.com/cc119ac4-cf8d-417c-b610-6dcf0d74ea7c
Originally Posted by Ranger99

True which is an a lot more natural gas because of the Greenie rules under Obama instead of coal

That makes sense in places like CA.

Their power is a constant problem.

Well Missouri is for sure one I live here. It's not affecting me I'm not an urban dweller but it's happening all over the place

Well Missouri is for sure one I live here. It's not affecting me I'm not an urban dweller but it's happening all over the place

And it was at this moment in time, that Flave became a full fledged conspiracy theorist.

TRH, take the wheel...
Posted By: las Re: Rolling Power Outages in Texas - 02/16/21
Originally Posted by Morewood

probably not..

Nope. Can't get the eyes open when they are glued shut with bulls**t.
You guys should have stocked/hoarded up when the getting was good.

Oh, wait.....wrong thread?
Obama administration regulations help lead to the shut down the coal mine and electrical plant at Lake Monticello not about 10 or 12 miles from where I live. Which also lost hundreds if not over a thousand jobs to boot.
Gotta save that coal for those 10/week electric producing coal plants the Chineese are putting on line. Drives the price of copper up too.
(Hard to sleep with icicles hanging of my nose)

Originally Posted by 1911a1
Obama administration regulations help lead to the shut down the coal mine and electrical plant at Lake Monticello not about 10 or 12 miles from where I live. Which also lost hundreds if not over a thousand jobs to boot.

Supposedly, the plant at Monticello was shut for
ecological reasons, same excuse they gave for
the big brown plant at first.
Last I had heard they were saying " oh well- the coal
was nearly depleted anyway "
Well my understanding is there's enough at both places
to be huffing and puffing when your great grandchildren
are ready for retirement. Just like the oil and gas
Used to be a gas fired plant right up the road here
until it was sold to one of the new gen companies.
No defects. No faulty building problems. No
problems with the generation equipment.
Somebody high up just didn't like it for whatever
reason. Leveled it to the ground
The power situation is disastrous, and it likely won’t be fixed tonight
February 15, 2021 at 2:50 pm [CST] by Eric Berger
Space City Weather

"This obviously is a monumental screw-up by the state of Texas, ERCOT, and the companies responsible for power generation in Texas. Why was demand not better anticipated? How are generating plants rated for cold weather production? The list of questions goes on and on. There is plenty of blame to go around, as it seems likely that people will lose their lives due to cold, or medical needs for electricity.

Be wary of those quick to scapegoat wind turbines or any single government official or political sides for this failure. This is a failure of the whole government and a lack of sensible regulation of electricity generators. We need to learn from this mistake so that it is not repeated. After our teeth stop chattering, of course."

https://spacecityweather.com/the-power-situation-is-disastrous-and-it-likely-wont-be-fixed-tonight/

ERIC BERGER, editor: "A certified meteorologist, Eric has written about weather in the Houston area for more than a decade. You may have seen his hurricane coverage in the Houston Chronicle as Eric “SciGuy” Berger, but now he brings that same kind of no-nonsense coverage of weather in and around Houston to Space City Weather. He looks forward to that first fall cool front every year."
https://spacecityweather.com/about-space-city-weather/

"There's no power."

OK.

red state voters being punished...
Degree Days Calculated Accurately

This how we do it in the Norte.

Degree Days
Power went off last night at 9pm, and just came back on.

8 hours off.

During the coldest night on record in decades.

Lots of people had it much worse. I could fire up my backup. Most didn't have that option. frown

Heads need to roll over this BS... Some probably literally.
Finally came back on. Yee haw. Off 20 hrs
Haven't had my power off, maybe because I'm not that far from a substation and the main power lines run right behind my house.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Haven't had my power off, maybe because I'm not that far from a substation and the main power lines run right behind my house.

That's what I thought.

Until about 9pm last night. wink

We are less than 5 miles from a coal/electric power plant.

I could here it running when the power went off.

The electric co-op here stated yesterday that they were instructed against their will to shut customer zones down. They said they had no choice but to do so.

The ERCOT idiots are the ones that need to be decorating the power poles. mad
I'm just down the block from it.
20 hours off for us too, nobody working on the lines that I saw
I still suppose we are lucky to just have the inconvenience of the blackouts.

Glad y’all got power back.
Originally Posted by hwy84
20 hours off for us too, nobody working on the lines that I saw

Are there lines on the ground?
Didn’t lose it here yet either, don’t know why.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Didn’t lose it here yet either, don’t know why.

Must be a politician living nearby.
The power has not went off here. An absolute miracle. Our power usually goes off if the sun goes behind a cloud.
De Flave, The power outages in Calif the last few years have nothing to do with generating or grid capacity. They are the result of poorly maintained lines and rights of way in areas of heavy dry vegetation...when high winds and fire danger is predicted, the grids are shut down to prevent catastrophic wildfires. On very rare occasions, during extreme heatwaves, mostly southern Calif, suffers from brownouts due to high demand. Wind could provide 6% of Calif power, but for some reason on any given day, the windmills have the blades feathered and are shut down??
And just in case they weren't screwing you enough, they've decided to bust out a bowling pin....If you have power, prepare to have your rates jacked.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/l...269-53ab63e2-8dcf-4485-8b9b-be6ad75316b4

Rolling blackouts are all over the region right now. The power price is through the roof and no one wants to risk going off line. It’s safer to schedule controlled blackout out than it is to burn something up and go down long term.

Coal has been on the decline for years. That has removed the ‘peaker’ response for the grid in times of high demand. There will never be enough predictable wind to supply base load. This problem has been brewing for some time. The raw truth is our infrastructure is old and not ready for any extreme. We are definitely not ready for ‘green power’ even if the production capacity was there.

Right now, $$$ is the motivational factor for the controlled blackouts. Green rage is just manufactured in this instance.

Always remember, you comfort and safety are secondary to the dollar bill.
Just got power back after 32 hours. From 2 AM Monday morning until 10 AM today. Near the Woodlands, TX north of Houston. Still just 18 degrees with bright sun outside. Streets are like skating rinks....

So much for wind turbines picking up the slack per the Green New Deal.. Our outage was a planned rolling blackout event in case power stations failed. They did.

Hopefully the power stays.
It’s too bad something like this didn’t happen in the DC area instead of flyover country. Be nice for DC to deal with some reality and the consequences of their actions for once.
I’m 20 miles from a wind farm in Wadsworth, 10 miles west of there is a nuclear power plant. 10 miles to my east is a huge LNG ( liquid natural gas) facility. I’m sitting in the dark with no power. Someone’s head should roll.
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
I’m sitting in the dark with no power. Someone’s head should roll.

ALL their heads should roll.

But they will get raises and promotions instead, for "getting us all through this emergency"....

You know, like Cuomo helped NY...
30 minutes on and 30 minutes off currently. Guess I should count myself fortunate as others are going an extended amount of time without power. Texans sure as hell aren't prepared and equipped for this type of weather for this amount of time. Usually we get some ice or a dusting of snow and by lunchtime it's all but a memory!
They are turning ours on for 20 minutes and then off for 30 minutes to an hour
About 50 degrees in the house.

Have some friends that have been without power for 36-48 hours

Internet has been down here for 24 hours
Cable TV down for 24 hours also

There is no firewood to be had.
Fortunately I had a pretty good pile but have burned over 1/2 cord and getting low
Started cutting up scrap lumber yesterday
1 lb bottles of propane? Nonexistent

Heads need to roll 😡
The power brokers are making huge money right now selling to the pool.

You better be up and running to supply your contract. That is why there are rolling blackouts where the grid is still intact. Hell, they have even shut down maintenance activities that could reduce production right now.

This is a pure $$$ play.
Originally Posted by victoro
My son lives in Pflugerville and they lost power to their water treatment plant and have no water at all at their home. Their power company Oncor says they have no idea when they'll get the power back on at the plant.

For a town of 65k + folks, it's asinine they don't have a backup generator. Hopefully this is a wake up call.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Brown_Power_Plant

ERCOT found the two-unit Big Brown plant was "not required to support ERCOT transmission system reliability", and authorized its closure by February 12, 2018.[14]

ERCOT has been in on the closure of 19 Texas coal powered plants since 2018, that wind energy is some cold stuff around here lately.
Well, well...

Not only did ERCOT “ok” the closure of about 3GW of production capacity, but the old plants have been “sold” to a company that’s probably maybe gonna shut down the public access to the parks/lakes by them, as well. Monti may be ok, not sure if they bought the land around Fairfield Lake... A real win/win for the homeowners/fishermen/campers of Texas....🙄

https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...lo-and-big-brown-plants-purchased-by-clp
They close plants, they can raise prices, sounds like a fair deal for consumers. Get prices up, reopen shuttered plants.
Originally Posted by flintlocke
De Flave, The power outages in Calif the last few years have nothing to do with generating or grid capacity. They are the result of poorly maintained lines and rights of way in areas of heavy dry vegetation...when high winds and fire danger is predicted, the grids are shut down to prevent catastrophic wildfires. On very rare occasions, during extreme heatwaves, mostly southern Calif, suffers from brownouts due to high demand. Wind could provide 6% of Calif power, but for some reason on any given day, the windmills have the blades feathered and are shut down??

I would bet my mothers false teeth that the fires are started by the have nots.
Coincidence?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...toring-science-to-tackle-climate-crisis/

I'm gonna burn some tires tonight.
As far as people here wondering why the Wind Producers going off-line in the winter and not in the summer when usage between the two times are roughly the same during peak, it isn't simply the cold that is the problem. It's the ice build up on the wind vanes. The diameter of that much spinning mass being that imbalanced with uneven ice buildup will destroy the rotating mass in very short order. Only answer is stop rotation and de-ice vanes. The principle of balanced rotating mass and ice build up has been a problem since the beginning of time with rotating air moving vane props be it cooling tower fans, Wind Generating Turbines or anything else such as this. If someone here has a fix for this, they are sitting on a Goldmine. Believe me, the Wind Turbine operators will pay you what ever you want for that fix. I've worked at a 1640MW Generating plant for 20 years. We still use coal fired boilers at our plant, but the company use Combined Technology Turbines, Solar Grids and Hydro plants also. We have stayed away from Wind Turbines to this point because the massive failure self destruct tendencies of vanes in our climate here in KY. That is why they are in Texas and West Coast more so than East Coast. And as far as Coal plants being Peaking Plants, ain't gonna happen. It takes three days to get a cold boiler up to 1000 degrees Fahrenheit and 2500 psi without destroying it. Our boiler tubes grow about 12" in 14 stories of height and our high presser part or the turbine grows over six inches in length and slides on a sliding base to accommodate that. Spinning sections have to be aligned "cold" as much as .250" vertically to accommodate growth in height between turbines and generators when fully "heat" saturated. The Grid Management Alphabet agencies that oversee the grid day to day operations is almost Nazi oriented in power. Unbelievable how much power they have grown into, we hardly have any say in planning maintenance and outages anymore because of the way the Grid is managed now.
FERC
Back in 83, we had several weeks of freezing weather around 5, this crap didn't happen back then, might have been a few who lost power due to trees falling on lines. The big issue back then was burst water lines, hell the bay here in corpus froze over partially killing millions of fish.

"There's no power."

Wind, gas, coal and nuke plants are all under producing. Wind turbines were supposedly “not properly winterized”, whatever TF that’s supposed to mean. Gear oil too thick?

Gas, coal and Nuke plants are all reporting problems getting enough cooling water through their systems due to freezing issues. That came from Main stream media, so take it from what it’s worth.
Back in 83, we had several weeks of freezing weather around 5, this crap didn't happen back then, might have been a few who lost power due to trees falling on lines. The big issue back then was burst water lines, hell the bay here in corpus froze over partially killing millions of fish.

Roger, it isn't necessarily the cold weather. It's the precipitation such as frozen ice that is the problem. We get cold weather a lot without much humidly in the air in the form of freezing rain, sleet and snow. Probably wasn't as dependent on Wind Turbines in '83 either.

Same here. I just got back from the marsh. The birds are going crazy trying to get to all the dead and dying fish under the ice.
Originally Posted by Dutch

"There's no power."

Wind, gas, coal and nuke plants are all under producing. Wind turbines were supposedly “not properly winterized”, whatever TF that’s supposed to mean. Gear oil too thick?

Gas, coal and Nuke plants are all reporting problems getting enough cooling water through their systems due to freezing issues. That came from Main stream media, so take it from what it’s worth. The water makeup is "Free" from the river source usually. That's why most Coal Fired Generation Plants are build next to rivers.

We have less problems with the cooling water in the winter than the summer. That is because the cooling water is recirculated and not able to recover from the heat load in the summer in the cooling towers. This produces back pressure in the condensers and doesn't allow us to push as much steam thru the turbines. 2500 psi of steam entering the high pressure side of turbine exits the condenser at -29.9 inches of vacuum on a good day in a closed loop. The make up water for this cooling loop is "Free" from the river usually. That is why Coal Fired Generation Plants are usually built next to rivers. Water for firing is a different story, very highly processed to keep from particle blasting the turbine blades at 2500psi.
Posted By: DMc Re: Rolling Power Outages in Texas - 02/16/21
The idea of a rolling power outage is asinine. 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off. Without heat it takes longer to reheat your home once the heat is reactivated, so the result is only 15-20 minutes of warmth.
Woohoo just hit 33 here!!
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Gonna have to get a lot warmer than that with the wind chill factor of those turbine blades spinning to thaw the ice off those Wind Turbines.
We finally got the juice on here in SATX....thank God for our wood stove....but still no water....
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

Gonna have to get a lot warmer than that with the wind chill factor of those turbine blades spinning to thaw the ice off those Wind Turbines.

Come again?

There a long way from here.

Come again?

kaywoodie is happy it's warming up in Texas because he too is part of the rolling power outages. 33 degrees Fahrenheit isn't going to keep the ice off of those Turbine Blades when they start spinning again.
Don’t worry. That 33 didn’t last long. Dropping again!

Oh well more snow and sleet for tonight! Had to go to town today for wifes meds. She been out since saturday. What a freak show that was!!! Madhouse. Line all way around store!!!! Let me in for pharmacy and I was out of there. Pure pandemonium with their EBT card!!!
Originally Posted by EdM
”The Texas winter storm may drive up gasoline prices across the country.”

https://apple.news/A79XBC5d0R4ybBuI_HpAFQA
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

That's what I thought.

Until about 9pm last night. wink

We are less than 5 miles from a coal/electric power plant.

I could here it running when the power went off.

The electric co-op here stated yesterday that they were instructed against their will to shut customer zones down. They said they had no choice but to do so.

The ERCOT idiots are the ones that need to be decorating the power poles. mad

Yep. Those ERCOT Fuggers need stung up. Now!!!
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by EdM

It would stay cheap if Trump were still in office, as would insulin prices.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by EdM

It would stay cheap if Trump were still in office, as would insulin prices.
Agreed. But some people think there is nothing better than high priced gasoline.
Originally Posted by DMc
The idea of a rolling power outage is asinine. 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off. Without heat it takes longer to reheat your home once the heat is reactivated, so the result is only 15-20 minutes of warmth.

They are doing 2 hours on and two hours off here David.
It really sucks! Like you said, it’s beyond stupid.

Time to get a rope for those in charge at ERCOT! 😡
Could rolling blackouts be the new normal all over America? If the libs get their way that'll be the case.
Welcome to the "Green" freeze. I can't believe coal or gas fired power plants go down in cold weather. Windmills I can believe. Many gas fired plants are just jet engines using natural gas instead of jet fuel. The front intake has the main shaft turning a generator. Sometime the exhaust waste heat is used to fire up a boiler for more production.

Best to have a gas space heater or gas logs for heating, gas stove for cooking (you can turn on the top burners and light with a match when power is out, but not use the oven), and a gas water heater. Whether propane or natural gas. Either is better when the power is out. Also a wood burning stove. They are more efficient than a fireplace and if you get a flat top one, you can cook on it. This is what people are going to do with the "Green New Deal", use their own alternative fuel.
Originally Posted by DMc

Yes. Yes it does.
Takes WAY more juice to get the house re-heated
after it's been off so long. You're the first one I've seen
online to acknowledge that fact besides myself.

Sure is a lot of electrical company employees online
that got the reda$$ that people are complaining.
One I read that has an ERCOT employee relative.
Funny thing that none can give a logical explanation
for the outages. Many say " downed lines "
It's not
Some say " equipment overload "
It's not

The power goes off and on at clock times such as
6 o'clock, 10 o'clock, 4 o'clock etc.
I've been in equipment failures and downed lines,
and reconnection isn't at precise times.

Nobody has a good answer, and you can tell who
gets a check from a power company, because their
answer sounds like it came directly out of an
employees training manual
We were out for a hour this morning, filled a bucket, and a picture with water.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
We were out for a hour this morning, filled a bucket, and a picture with water.

,...stood on one leg, farted,...and it came back on again.
1-888-313-4747 Encor Electric
Its pretty simple. Texas relies too much on unreliable and expensive Chinese green energy Just like California. We all know the quality of Chinese manufactured products

Originally Posted by DMc

Yes. Yes it does.
Takes WAY more juice to get the house re-heated
after it's been off so long. You're the first one I've seen
online to acknowledge that fact besides myself.

Sure is a lot of electrical company employees online
that got the reda$$ that people are complaining.
One I read that has an ERCOT employee relative.
Funny thing that none can give a logical explanation
for the outages. Many say " downed lines "
It's not
Some say " equipment overload "
It's not

The power goes off and on at clock times such as
6 o'clock, 10 o'clock, 4 o'clock etc.
I've been in equipment failures and downed lines,
and reconnection isn't at precise times.

Nobody has a good answer, and you can tell who
gets a check from a power company, because their
answer sounds like it came directly out of an
employees training manual
No. Washington DC has too much control in Texas.
,...tell ya what *I* think.

You Texans fired up them windmills and sucked the jet stream down on top of all of us!
LOL, not only Texas. Reported on farcebook according to the wife, rolling blackouts in Omaha, Lincoln an Grand Island due to load on the grid.
And for those thinking natural gas is the answer, Ford shut down it’s F150 plant in Kansas due to natural gas shortages.
And for those thinking natural gas is the answer, Ford shut down it’s F150 plant in Kansas due to natural gas shortages.

of course Biden had nothing to do with this

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bidens-fossil-fuel-freeze-11611359257

And what caused that?
Originally Posted by RiverRider

And what caused that?

A bit more than normal use due to some cool weather? Or do you think the supply of natural gas is unlimited?
I don't really know, but I suspect production is inhibited by regulation. You know...gubmint meddling. What do they touch that they don't fuck up?
Originally Posted by RiverRider

And what caused that?

A bit more than normal use due to some cool weather? Or do you think the supply of natural gas is unlimited?

And at one time natural gas was pipe to farm houses free The burn it off the oil wells
“Running out of energy in Texas is like starving to death at the grocery store: You can only do it on purpose, and Texas did.” - Tucker Carlson
A bunch of angry Texans lit a fire under Gov. Abbott's azz, he's on the warpath to get ERCOT's scalp.

https://www.statesman.com/story/new...mergency-item-amid-blackouts/6765855002/

As statewide blackouts left more than 4.3 million Texans without power on Tuesday, Gov. Greg Abbott declared a new emergency item for lawmakers to tackle during this year's legislative session: reforming the state's main electric grid operator.

The Electric Reliability Council of Texas, or ERCOT, began requiring electric utilities to reduce usage through rolling power outages on Monday, as freezing temperatures and snow increased demand for power.

"The Electric Reliability Council of Texas has been anything but reliable over the past 48 hours,” Abbott said in a statement. “Far too many Texans are without power and heat for their homes as our state faces freezing temperatures and severe winter weather. This is unacceptable."

At least we shut the lights off down town in Kansas City ...
To put it in perspective, according to the Austin Statesman, 34,000 MW of generating capacity was forced off the grid on Monday, 20,000 of which was thermal (gas, coal and nuclear).

Why can’t they keep a coal plant running?
Asshats running things.

Found out this afternoon my Daughter's house has not had any power since Sunday.

Don't care who you voted for or what party you like that crap is just wrong.

The folks in charge of this need to be whipped.
Come on gentleman we can just use all of the methane from the cows owned by them black farmers!
“Running out of energy in Texas is like starving to death at the grocery store: You can only do it on purpose, and Texas did.” - Tucker Carlson

Ouch.
I believe the power plants are producing just exactly what they are told to produce.

In these times there isn’t much that would surprise me

Now I’m off to bed. Been almost 1/2 an hour! Time for the power to go off again!
In light of these power outages I've been practicing the bow drill.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Ouch.

Fact. Nobody has run out of 'energy" or infrastructure. They are more frightened of new laws concerning the environment than they are their consumers.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Ouch.

Fact. Nobody has run out of 'energy" or infrastructure. They are more frightened of new laws concerning the environment than they are their consumers.

QFT

Ouch.

#TexasStrong

🦫
Texas, I'm sorry, I know it was colder than 9uck down there but not that cold.
To put it in perspective, according to the Austin Statesman, 34,000 MW of generating capacity was forced off the grid on Monday, 20,000 of which was thermal (gas, coal and nuclear).

Why can’t they keep a coal plant running?

How much hydro power does Texas have?

It's not that cold. I haven't taken off my Crocs. We're just pissed off that Democrats are deciding when we can, or can't, watch TV.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

It's not that cold. I haven't taken off my Crocs. We're just pissed off that Democrats are deciding when we can, or can't, watch TV.
#energyindependance

It was single digits in DFW. The Panhandle got to -11.

Not much to you Montana guys, I know, but down here, the houses aren’t set up for cold weather. Most of the fireplaces are as much “decorative” as they are functional. Down in Houston, the outages are not just electrical. The water plants don’t have the power to maintain pressure, so now you’ve got folks who can’t even get water.

Most will ride it out, and have a story or two to tell, but it’s just a real clusterfugg, right now, and probably could have been prevented if EPA hadn’t made it so rough on a few of the coal plants, and ERCOT had insisted on a few “contingency plans”...
I bailed on my house mid-morning to visit my Uncle today (Korean war vet). He's in a USDA retirement community, the USDA ag office is at the end of his road, and the town's north fire station across the road from that - his electricity Has Not Been Disturbed. Read into that what you will.
I haven't lost power once, everyone else I know has, my brother has been without since Sunday night.
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I bailed on my house mid-morning to visit my Uncle today (Korean war vet). He's in a USDA retirement community, the USDA ag office is at the end of his road, and the town's north fire station across the road from that - his electricity Has Not Been Disturbed. Read into that what you will.

We don't really have to "read into" it. The power company told us that they were only allowed to give so many people service and we weren't them.
Not just Texas but a lot of places , people are learning how much they are not self dependent
Guys with the people in charge of things now these power rationing days will only get more frequent. If you live where it does or can get cold get a wood stove that does not require electricity. Get a water supply that does not depend on the water company so you at least have something to fall back on. Living without utilities isn't ideal but you can make it more bearable.
It’s horseschidt.
Learning lots.

We have 36KW Generac Quiet Source whole house generators at both of our houses that are plumbed into natural gas. They work great. Expensive, but worth it for the peace of mind that they give you. I'd never be without a whole house generator again.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
It’s horseschidt.
Learning lots.

We have 36KW Generac Quiet Source whole house generators at both of our houses that are plumbed into natural gas. They work great. Expensive, but worth it for the peace of mind that they give you. I'd never be without a whole house generator again.

I’m thinking I need one
I haven't lost power once, everyone else I know has, my brother has been without since Sunday night.

I haven’t either, neither has my ex MiL who lives like a mile away.

My son lives maybe three miles away has been losing it on and off. The only thing I can figure is the Ex MiL and me are in an older neighborhood, maybe a completely different local power grid.
Just saw that it's 2* F above at my up north house. Kinda warm.
Woke up to find it’s 64 degrees in the house.
Made coffee and at exactly 6AM the power went off again.

Ace compadre has had power continuously, has never been shut off. Same power company
Turns out the grid he’s on includes a hospital and they can’t shut it down.
Ive had thermostat set on 62 whole time and been comfy indoors. Broke out all my wool. Been cozy outside. It’s just an inconvenient PITA. I cook outside all the time anyway. Water hasn’t been an issue yet. I’ve certainly been colder elsewhere.

Im fine. Wife tends to be PITA but thats nothing out of the usual

Roll her outside.

Roll her outside.

Always an option! 🤣
"I got somethin' for ya today, Lil Miss Cranky Pants."

LOL

I'm just joking Kay-Dub. Stay safe.

Roll her outside.

Always an option! 🤣

Take her cell phone first!

laugh
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
It’s horseschidt.
Learning lots.

I'd never power one from natural gas. It would be propane. If the natural gas gets shut off for some reason you have no power. If you have a 500 gallon propane tank you will.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Roll her outside.

Always an option! 🤣

Take her cell phone first!

laugh

Think I’ll just set here and drink my coffee and remain silent! 😊😊😊😊😉😉😉😉😉

Yup. +10!
#TexasTownMayorQuitsAfterCallingTexansPussys

Say whaaaat?

😜🦫
So I am curious, since I don't watch tv or the news anymore, has the president done a flyover observing the devastation? how about FEMA, are they delivering water, food etc... ?
Has the national guard set up huge tents with heaters?
What the hell is big gov. doing for the people?
https://www.kfyrtv.com/2021/02/17/wind-turbines-affected-by-cold-temperatures/
We've had it pretty good at my place with a pretty consistent one hour of power and then an hour without, going on our third day of it. Our longest stretch has been 2.5 hours without. Fortunately we have gas for the water heater, cook stove and furnaces (although the furnaces still need power). My well house did freeze up Monday night/Tuesday morning when it got to -2 degrees. It took me half the day yesterday to get it thawed using my welder as a generator and it looks like none of the piping burst.

Back in the summer I was so busy that I tried to get someone to come out and put in a generator transfer switch that I could plug the welder/generator into, but with all the new building construction going on, I couldn't get anyone to do it. I got looking some more at the Reliance Transfer Switch Kits and it looks like it's a do it yourself system anyway, so I'll see about putting it in myself.
Bongino showed a clip from some hack at PMSNBC blaming it on frozen instruments at natural gas and nuclear plants. Not the reduced capacity.

Ercot table shows that wind dropped to 9% of planned capacity
Solar to 0%
Gas 53%
Coal 56%
Nuclear 73%

So tell me where the weakest link lies..
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Bongino showed a clip from some hack at PMSNBC blaming it on frozen instruments at natural gas and nuclear plants. Not the reduced capacity.

Ercot table shows that wind dropped to 9% of planned capacity
Solar to 0%
Gas 53%
Coal 56%
Nuclear 73%

So tell me where the weakest link lies..
[Linked Image]

Excellent info in this post. Reliable generation in good weather remains the most reliable in bad weather. Not reliable generation, well, you get the picture.

Look at those first two columns, the difference between the nameplate installed capacity for wind and solar, and the dependable, the number they're using to compute the capacity factor in the last column. The calculation is slanted to make renewables look better, but they still come out on the bottom. There's 6.5 times the wind and solar generation capacity as there is nuclear in ERCOT, and yet nuclear is outproducing wind and solar by a factor of 6. Brutal.
Welcome to the liberal utopia.

It was single digits in DFW. The Panhandle got to -11.

Not much to you Montana guys, I know, but down here, the houses aren’t set up for cold weather. Most of the fireplaces are as much “decorative” as they are functional. Down in Houston, the outages are not just electrical. The water plants don’t have the power to maintain pressure, so now you’ve got folks who can’t even get water.

Most will ride it out, and have a story or two to tell, but it’s just a real clusterfugg, right now, and probably could have been prevented if EPA hadn’t made it so rough on a few of the coal plants, and ERCOT had insisted on a few “contingency plans”...

I see where you're coming from, understood.

Here's an interesting piece of information, and I quote.

"Fun fact of the day: spoke to my brother this evening and he works for WAPA. They shut power off in NE Montana to send to Texas."

Continued from twitter.......

"Sitting in the dark again. How does that work since Texas’ power grid isn’t connected?

I’ll pm you video... it’s too long for me to explain on here... basin electric provides power from MT and ND all the way to the gulf states and NM. Big power is hard to understand. Ft Peck is on full hydro to divert power to other grids..look for vid in a min."

Basin Electric provides power from SD and Wyoming as well. They are in SPP and MISO
The CEO of ERCOT is still saying he has no idea when the power will be restored for the state.
Originally Posted by irfubar
So I am curious, since I don't watch tv or the news anymore, has the president done a flyover observing the devastation? how about FEMA, are they delivering water, food etc... ?
Has the national guard set up huge tents with heaters?
What the hell is big gov. doing for the people?

Remember how the Demofags blamed Pres. Bush for the hurricane that hit New Orleans? Republicans need to pay them back double and put it all on Hidin' Biden and torment the hell out of him.
Looks like the "news " people got an admission
from the ERCOT people that they just flat weren't
prepared for the cold weather, and since this level
of cold was rare here, they didn't feel like the level
of expense required to prepare for such an event
was necessary
© 24hourcampfire