Home
I remember them hauling my grandfather out when he had a heart attack. I was three. Not long after that a dog bit me in the face, remember that also. What is your earliest memory?
It's hard to know what I remember what I remember, and what I was told.
Hard to say. I lived on a farm growing up, and remember all sorts of things about that. I remember there was an old rooster that would chase me, and I didn't want to go outside. I also remember the night my grandmother got the rubbing alcohol and the mineral oil mixed up, and gave me dose of alcohol..............made me feel like I was floating on air.
I remember being in the crib. At that stage in life, your experiences are almost a half dream state. You don't know the difference between dreaming and reality, I don't think. I remember being in the crib, and images on the wall coming to life and talking to me. I thought a spot reflection of sunlight on the ceiling was a being of some kind. I remember seeing "ghosts" that scared the crap out of me walk into my room and around my crib, but they were Halloween type "ghosts," i.e., sheets, so my assumption is that they were my older brother and sister being mean to their baby brother.

I also remember my grandmother mockingly laughing at me for still drinking out of a bottle past my second birthday.
THE ALAMO!!!
.... knowin, was a lonesome whistle blowin...
I remember my much older(10 years) brother and sister feeding the 3 youngest siblings dog food.

I was two.
Vaguely remember a July 4 celebration just prior to turning 3.

Nap time and I raised hell.
They put a spent roman candle by the bed to get me calmed down.
Hanging on to Dad’s left nut to keep from being shot into a black woman.

I have a very good memory.
I was 2 years old and they plastered a room and used a chair to block my access. I climbed the chair and saw the men in white outfits.

When I was 3 years old, I proved my father was wrong about what a ball point pen will write on.

When I was 4 years old, I told my parents they were wrong not to vote for Eisenhower.
BD party and grammys dog. So 3 and a little before.
But only those from then.

Remember parents divorce at age 4. And other stuff at farm.

5 and on lots of stuff
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Did it work? smile
I remember being in the crib and yelling for a bottle of juice. Parents didn't understand me and gave me milk.
Going to a party with my dad and leaving with my mom...
When my darn 18 month older sister dumped me out of the wagon into the picker bush. Or the time that she wrote on the wall with a crayon and fingered me to mom as the culprit. Life just wasn’t fair back in those early days.
I also remember waking up on my third birthday, walking out of my room, down the steps, and sitting on the bottom step, listening to my mother in the kitchen (the entry to which was just a few feet from where I was sitting) cooking breakfast. She soon came out and saw me sitting there, and asked me if I knew how old I was that day. I just put up three fingers. She then offered me some of the cookies she had just finished baking.
When I was about 3 I ended up damn near losing my arm in one of those ringer washing machines.

My earliest memory was visiting every day with a woman at the hospital whose baby was in an oxygen tent. She gave me a BIG bag of candy the day I went home.
Mom putting leftovers on my plate before giving them to the dog. Apparently, the dog would refuse the same food if it didn't.

That little chihuahua was found starving in the mountains by my dad. She died standing between a husky and my brother. The owner fled with the dog before my dad could get his 30-06.
Originally Posted by 338Rem

Did it work? smile

Say whut , mf’kr ??

Grins
Washing chicken chit off of eggs, and the sound of 20K yardbirds in a big house. Going with my sister to stir up the turkeys and chickens when it got cold to get them spread out instead of piled up. I hate chickens, mean dirty animals.

Was 4 when I got pulled down by a sow, she was dragging me into the farrowing house, same sister got me by the other arm and pulled a chunk out of the back of my left arm in that tug of war. Nothing to sew up, local country Doc cauterized the wound with an electric needle of some sort. Still have a big divot there. I remember the smell not the pain, probably a good thing.
I have a few scraps of memories from when I was 2 or 3. I remember that it had to be around that age because my dad started building the house of the rest of my childhood
before I turned 4.

Building a Lego tractor. My Dad shooing me away from his tape measure so I wouldn't cut myself on the blade (guess he was being super cautious), a Buck Owens looking toy guitar and red felt cowboy hat, falling backwards out of a wagon onto the concrete slab driveway (I split my head open twice back then and this was apparently one of those times)
Originally Posted by wabigoon
It's hard to know what I remember what I remember, and what I was told.

That is true. I don't really have a way of dating most things. I do remember, when I was somewhere between 2 and 3, the folks talking about the big fire in Newell that some kids set by being careless that took place. For something solid, I remember the plastic candle holder on the cake for my 4th birthday because it was in the shape of a 4.
I have snippets of very early memories. I recall my mom holding me while she stood in the ocean. She was only waist deep but she had to hold me under my arms to keep me above water. 2 years old, maybe?

My dad drove heavy equipment and followed the jobs when I was very young. I lived on both coasts and many places in between before elementary school. I can remember the layout of an apartment we lived in when I was 3. I have lots of memories from there.
I remember watching the steam locomotives go by the house. The front yard, dog house, fence, and porch of the house we live in Fort Worth. We moved when I was just over 3 yrs old, so it was before that.
Originally Posted by Dess
Mom putting leftovers on my plate before giving them to the dog. Apparently, the dog would refuse the same food if it didn't.

That little chihuahua was found starving in the mountains by my dad. She died standing between a husky and my brother. The owner fled with the dog before my dad could get his 30-06.

Another early memory for me has to do with a Chihuahua puppy my folks brought home shortly after I turned three. She was a tiny thing, and she was in a cardboard box. That dog lived till I was 21. She was finally put to sleep because she had finally lost all use of her hind legs at the age 18 years old.

I remember when she was very young she wandered over to our neighbor's yard, and our neighbor's four mutts (approximately 35 pounds each) chased her back to our yard, but our female German Shepherd intercepted them, and took all four of them on at once. It was a real knock down, drag out, till we could get them all separated. I was about six when that happened.
I remember making a snake out of modeling clay behind the couch...I was 2 at the time.
Dunno if I was 2 yet.

I got sick with a high fever and my folks called the ambulance service. This was in England, late 1950’s. I remember being in the back of this dinky ambulance and a person wearing an ambulance service cap and uniform sitting by me.

Instead of a siren they had a bell they would ring, I recall that too.
getting hooked in the right eyebrow by a Guernsey cow my mom was milking. i was 2.
Possibly my earliest memory was being in my crib in a bedroom shared by my two uncles. I think I was about 1-1/2 year old. I guess I had seen a tomato worm that day, because shortly after they turned out the bedroom light I was standing up looking down at the floor and imagined that I saw several large black tomato worms about a foot long writhing around just beneath me on the floor, complete with the little horns on their heads. I considered them hideous creatures and started raising hell. I suppose I had a tendency to come up with words for things I had never seen, and I decided in an instant these things were "wha-wats." My elder uncle jumped out of bed and asked me what I was hollering about and I told him there were wha-wats on the floor. He turned on the light so I could see there were no wha-wats. Satisfied, I went to sleep after he turned the lights back off.

Many people I know can't remember times before they were seven or eight years old. I remember stuff from waaaaay back, and often get a chuckle out of some of the things I thought and did.

When I was three, I heard a sonic boom that my mom told me was caused by a jet flying over the house and breaking the sound barrier. I thought about it a while and figured that this sound barrier had to be nearby because it made such a racket when it hit the ground. I had no idea what it might look like, but I was certain I would recognize it when I saw it. My search of the front and back yards turned up nothing.

I remember hundreds of things from that stage of childhood. I wish they were all pleasant.
Originally Posted by Oldman3
I remember watching the steam locomotives go by the house. The front yard, dog house, fence, and porch of the house we live in Fort Worth. We moved when I was just over 3 yrs old, so it was before that.

We lived next to the rail yard and would play on the parked steam locomotives, nobody cared, it’s not like someone could just start em up. Actually our moms cared, the locomotives were sooty, oily things plus we would climb on the piles of coal laying around, come home grimy.
Originally Posted by 338Rem

Did it work? smile

Say whut , mf’kr ??

Grins

Well played. smile
I remember watching my Mom hanging up clothes outside on the clothes line.We lived near an airport and remember watching the biplanes and triplanes flying around.
Coincidentally, hanco, one of several earliest memories was when I discovered my grandfather dead of a heart attack. He had apparently felt ill and gone out to the privy on the farm, where he was seated when I found him. I was three.

Same farm - Dad was blowing stumps with dynamite and right after one blast I ran up and fell into the hole headfirst. I can smell the smoke of the dynamite to this day. I was two, I think. I remember many things about that farm and my early years, too many to recount here.
My younger sister was born in July a little more 23 months after I was. I could not have been much older than 2 years old because I was wearing swim trunks this day and in an attempt to "help" my mother I ran my hand and arm in a old ringer washing machine rollers while trying to wash my sister's diaper. My first of many trips to the emergency room in my life. I still have the scar on my inside of my right index finger where the rollers ripped the skin. I have a memory of my mother being pregnant with my sister, but I don't know if it is from a photo of her at the time or an actual memory.
I remember still living in West Virginia in the Late 1950's (born Dec 56) I remember a black and white cartoon the called Three little Indians. I remember a young girl who use to watch me named Kathy so according to my late mother I was able to remember as far back as being two years old, I remember meeting JFK when he came to Parkersburg in June 1960 when he was going after the Dem nomination. I remember Moving to California Pop had a brand new 1960 Chevy two door Bel Air and the U Haul trailer then getting stuck in a blizzard in Peach Springs Arizona old Route 66 having to spend the night there. I remember JFK getting Shot and they sent us home from School once in California. Fuqk now I'm an old man what the fuqk happened. Time waits for know one.
Backing out of our driveway in an open top Jeep and the feeling of driving in the open air. Dad was driving, so I must have been in my mother's lap. I was two.
A few years ago I told my Mom that I remember standing in my crib in the hospital and she tried to sneak past the door of the room to go home for the night. I saw her red jacket and freaked out that she was leaving. My Mom was surprised and said "how do you remember that??? You were only one!"

I was in the hospital with life threatening pneumonia.
I remember my Mom changing my diaper. I looked down there and thought “I’m gonna be really popular with the girls.”
Sitting in a white rocking chair at 2 years old. 61 now.
I remember running around wearing cloth diapers in those little white shoes they used to make toddlers wear, Also remember sitting on a potty training seat that looked like I was riding a horse. Still use it to this day and my diapers are now disposable depends. Laundry service won't take adult cloth diapers.
Playing with my great grandfather when I was two, one of my sisters and I would hang locust shells on his nose and ears while he sat in a chair by the back fence watching the neighbors chickens peck. Also remember my dad watching TV the evening Kennedy was shot, it was his birthday and one week before my 3rd.
I can’t remember much before 4 ,but one of my brothers said he remembered 9 days before he was born,said mom was setting out sweet potatoe plants and he would pull them up ,I never did really believe him
Two of my earliest memories are of my dad stepping out into the yard with a 12 gauge and blasting a squirrel that had been raising hell in our attic and taking me out to the garage to see a deer he had shot. Don't recollect how old I was but we moved out of that house when I was 4.
I remember living with my grandparents while my mother was fighting cancer in the hospital. Of course I didn't know anything about cancer, just that my mom left me with grandma and grandpa. I guess I was one or two years old (There's no one left alive that I can ask). I remember my grandfather would carry me on his shoulders and show me all the pictures on the walls up close. Eventually, I forgot about my mother, and when she came back to get me, having defeated cancer, at first I didn't know who she was. Took me a few minutes.
I remember being with my dad when he was building a well house. Must have been about 3.
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
When I was about 3 I ended up damn near losing my arm in one of those ringer washing machines.

My earliest memory was visiting every day with a woman at the hospital whose baby was in an oxygen tent. She gave me a BIG bag of candy the day I went home.

That happened to me too, they told me not to fuuck with it.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Coincidentally, hanco, one of several earliest memories was when I discovered my grandfather dead of a heart attack. He had apparently felt ill and gone out to the privy on the farm, where he was seated when I found him. I was three.

Same farm - Dad was blowing stumps with dynamite and right after one blast I ran up and fell into the hole headfirst. I can smell the smoke of the dynamite to this day. I was two, I think. I remember many things about that farm and my early years, too many to recount here.

Found my grandmother dead in that same house, 20 years later. She had a heart attack also. If I make my birthday in a few weeks I will have outlived all my parents and grandparents.
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Found my grandmother dead in that same house, 20 years later. She had a heart attack also. If I make my birthday in a few weeks I will have outlived all my parents and grandparents.

Good luck to you.
I remember my mom and sister stopped on the road and got a turtle for me, I was 5 and thrilled beyond belief.
I got up at 7 this morning.
I remember the night the Dr. came to the house to deliver me.....
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I remember my mom and sister stopped on the road and got a turtle for me, I was 5 and thrilled beyond belief.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

😂🦫
Being on a swing at a park about 4 yrs old.
And a schnauzer type small dog going back and forth barking at me while I was being pushed by my mom.
The dog was friendly, just excited to hear a kid laughing at it while swinging.

That happened to me too, they told me not to fuuck with it.

I went to help my aunt do clothes one time and started putting clothes in the ringer. She said hold on let me show you this. When you get your fingers in there pull this lever to release it so you can get your fingers out. I decided to go help my uncle in the garden instead.
Walter Cronkite evening news casualty figures from Vietnam
Around age 5 or 6 in 68 or 69.

Neil Armstrong on the moon.

And the worst ever..........

Lawerence Welk around age 5 at the mandatory dinner at the grandparents every week.

No wonder I grew up hating 99% of the people on this planet.

Lawerence Welk subjugation as a young kid..........
I hated Lawrence Welk too!!!
I remember my great grandfather reading to me. I remember the book cover and him reading. Not sure how old I was.
My earliest memory is loading 375 H&H ammo on an old C&H press. I was 4.

Ok, that's a lie.

It wasn't 375 H&H....it was .270.

smile

did the same with one of those washers, just had to stick my fingers in it, lol they had to take it apart to get my arm out.
I hated Lawrence Welk too!!!

Anduh one, anduh two .
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by 12344mag

😂🦫

He was lucky, very, very, lucky!!
I remember sitting in the bathtub with my mom. I felt embarrassed and tried not to look at her. I was 3-4 years old. My youngest brother claims he can remember being in our mom's womb. grin
Originally Posted by stxhunter

did the same with one of those washers, just had to stick my fingers in it, lol they had to take it apart to get my arm out.

I remember it banging against my face. I’m sure I was screaming my ass off. Today this day, I hate seeing them old things in junk shops.

I guess I’m not the only one that didn’t listen.

Christmas 1941 - about age 2,5 - remember some items and events from that Christmas and soon thereafter.
One of the earliest is being lifted out of my kindergarten desk by a nun's fingernails in the top of my ear.

Like rene said, it's no wonder I hate people in general.

Grandpa was nice, he took us across the street to the bar for Shirley Temples.

Probably why I liked bars for too long.
Watching my father and uncle installing plumbing and fixtures. I asked my uncle something, don't remember what, but do remember whatever he said had nothing to do with my question. I was standing near his lead pot, well away from the house and across a gravel driveway/parking area. Years later I asked my parents what year they got plumbing; they said summer of '59, but I think they must have been off by a a year as I would not have been quite one year old, doubt I would have been walking much then.

I remember it banging against my face. I’m sure I was screaming my ass off. Today this day, I hate seeing them old things in junk shops.

Apparently I broke the machine. It squeezed a big bubble up to my elbow and when I went to my mother and she touched it, it burst. I soaked 10 dishtowels with blood on the way to the hospital and it took 63 stitches and a skin graft to close it up.

Arm was pretty much useless and they didn't have physiotherapy back then. My best friend's parents signed me up for hockey (goalie) and baseball. Learning to catch a ball in a glove eventually brought back full use of the arm.
Playing "slap jack" with Mom at 2yrs old.

Apparently I broke the machine. It squeezed a big bubble up to my elbow and when I went to my mother and she touched it, it burst. I soaked 10 dishtowels with blood on the way to the hospital and it took 63 stitches and a skin graft to close it up.

Arm was pretty much useless and they didn't have physiotherapy back then. My best friend's parents signed me up for hockey (goalie) and baseball. Learning to catch a ball in a glove eventually brought back full use of the arm.
I was lucky, the arm was just black and blue.
Waking up and noting it was 06:15 this morning.
I remember the curtains standing straight out and a dark figure in the window. My earliest memories are of things that terrified me. I have suffered with sleep paralysis most of my life. It lessened as I grew older but still happens occasionally.

Remember lying in a bassinet and kicking while my mother was encouraging me. It doesn't seem possible, but the memory is vivid.
I remember heading out the door to go Sandhill Crane hunting with my Dad, I was probably 3....I also remember him saying "[bleep], be quiet and be still, they are going to see us."
I remember being in a stroller and a big dog down the street, Cochise, ran out and bit me on the face.
I also remember eating ice cream with my Grandfather. He had his teeth out so I was mimicing him with the whole exaggerated jaw motion. I thought that was how you were supposed to do it. Sadly, it's my only memory of him.
I remember being strolled through the 1964 New York World's Fair, when I was just about three. I remember looking at the little dinosaur statues beside the pathway I was being strolled on.
I was 2 years and 3 months old, when we were getting ready to move from San Antonio to Kansas in the early summer of 1970. My first memory was standing in the driveway and telling my father that he had to go get the "Old Car" (our 1958 Chevy, to which I was really attached) because it was in the driveway of a neighbor across the street. My father informed me that he sold it to the neighbor. I got really mad and stomped off away from him in disgust. I still recall that it was three houses to the left across the street, which my father has confirmed was true. The next memory was shortly thereafter getting to pretend-drive the big moving semi that came to pick up our stuff. I have several more memories from that summer. I can accurately describe the interior of my grandparent's house they lived in back then, and where we stayed for while that summer, in Springfield, MO.
Originally Posted by ingwe
I remember making a snake out of modeling clay behind the couch...I was 2 at the time.

Wasn't that the snake that Eve got to messing with in the garden?
Originally Posted by camdog

Remember lying in a bassinet and kicking while my mother was encouraging me. It doesn't seem possible, but the memory is vivid.

Back there in parts of Indiana, some folks had their kids sleeping in bassinets until they were 5 years old. grin
I remember mom snapping this with her kodak. My grand dad and I. He was only like 58 or 59 in that pic.

What's the tractor Bob?
I remember learning how to see. Particularly, how to make out the patterns in the fabric of the blankets that swaddled me and then later, the small patterns in the carpets I rolled around on. I remember learning language by listening to the conversations going on around me. Learning to correctly compose thoughts in it and then ultimately speak came much later.
My father fixing bad tubes in our TV, and putting a engine in our Datsun station wagon.
What's the tractor Bob?

I think it was a Holt, Richard. Maybe some here will recognize it for sure.
i remember schitting my pants in church when i was small enough to crawl around under the pews. ha ha, pews. get it?
Thanks Bob! Holt, and Best merged to form the Caterpillar Tractor Company. Interesting story there.
The dairy barn - probably 2-3 y/o. I could walk on the concrete pad behind the cows and chase the cats. I can remember being held by my dad and rubbing my face on the gallous on his bib overalls. They were brass and had a unique smell. The day he died, he was holding our 6 week old daughter and she was rubbing her face on the gallous. He made a joke about all the little kids like to rub on them.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
One of the earliest is being lifted out of my kindergarten desk by a nun's fingernails in the top of my ear.

Like rene said, it's no wonder I hate people in general.

Grandpa was nice, he took us across the street to the bar for Shirley Temples.

Probably why I liked bars for too long.

Saint Joseph,s elementary school 2nd grade
Old Town Maine.

Fear the Nun..........

Never soooooooo glad to go back to Jefferson Street elementary after that yr in 2nd....
I was getting my azz whipped with a yard stick once or twice a week at St Joe,s
Wasnt the only kid in class to feel the power of the Jesus thru a nun school teacher...
Frigging girls in the class set up alot of us boys for rapid downfalls for sure.
Especially after recess incidents.....
Never forgot some of them St joe,s bytches when we all merged together again for Jr high and high school.
Some of em suffered multiple kicked over valve stems in high school in the student parking lot.

LOL!!!!
Thanks Bob! Holt, and Best merged to form the Caterpillar Tractor Company. Interesting story there.

Just read all about them, made tractors for WWI
Holt, and Best both were making crawler tractors, nd were going broke competing with each other.
They both owed money to the same banks. The banks sort of knocked heads together, and forced a merger.
I think I was two when I spilled my orange drink at the cafeteria, grandparents both telling me, I told you so, I told you were going to spill your drink.

I don't remember the name, maybe Furr's but it was in Odessa in 1966
I remember the wallpaper in the kitchen, and the light over my crib, as well as a large vase of Mom’s that sat in the corner of the living room. It was a place we lived in when I was a year old until about a year and a half old. Mom didn't believe me until I described them to her. Also remember the collie we had biting Dad when he went out to stop her barking at the neighbors arguing next door. She probably thought he was the source of the trouble, he says. I can remember watching it through the window from my crib. Also remember my Grandma’s house and the blue flame floor heater I burned my hand on when I was learning to walk and fell down. The twin lines on my right palm have almost faded out after 45+ years. About as far back as I care to remember, and further and I might remember being born. No thanks.
When about three years old I got ill and my mother called the doctor. They made house calls in those days and I remember him standing over my folding bed in the living room and putting his stethoscope on my chest and talking to my mother. He gave her a piece of paper.

Twenty years later I married his daughter whom I had a blind date with. We have been married 53 years.
Seeing the first black person scared the shi# out of me it was traumatizing!
I remember puking my guts out after eating a whole bag of pixie stix when I was maybe 3. I never could eat pixie stix again after that, Remember a little kid eating dirt at the playground and throwing it up. Really grossed me out. Remember our dog knocking me down the stairs and my two front teeth lying on the sidewalk when I was 5.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I remember puking my guts out after eating a whole bag of pixie stix when I was maybe 3. I never could eat pixie stix again after that, Remember a little kid eating dirt at the playground and throwing it up. Really grossed me out. Remember our dog knocking me down the stairs and my two front teeth lying on the sidewalk when I was 5.

I slipped on ice about the same age knocking out front teeth. Hands were in my pockets. Bad idea
I remeber smell of cigar and taste of whisky.
It's starting to surface now, I thought I was drowning and forced through a dark tunnel, then the bright lights hit me and I got an A$$ beating...
4 years old. Found a broken sprinkler at the apartments we lived at and I got blamed for it. They made us move.

Also remember someone throwing up at that apartment outside and being hit with a cap gun in the head and had to have stitches.
I remember going to see my Dad in Wyoming. He was an inspector on the Medicine Bow Pipeline being constructed. Mom hauled me up there in our red and black '58 Galaxie 500. I remember playing with a little yellow train engine I had.
I remember figuring out how to count to 100 when I was three. I was laying in a bed taking a nap, supposedly, in my then-step-father's grandparent's house staring at the ceiling as I reasoned it out. I remember having trouble remembering the name of "12" because it was not quite so intuitive, the rest of the numbers were pretty easy.

My step-great grandparents were awfully good to me and I've never forgotten them. I loved them dearly and always will.
Four years old, dad had to pull a dead cat out from underneath the front stoop.

Same year, the teenage girl three houses up, was smoking and I asked if I could try it but she refused.

Would have been 1971 and we moved to a different neighborhood the next year.
Sitting in our first house and looking toward the bathroom at the end of the hall. I remember the wood floors and the lime green shower curtain. We moved from there when I was 3. We had pics of the outside but none of the interior. I mentioned the memory to my Grandmother and Aunt and they were skeptical until my mother confirmed the shower curtain color.
I remember our 56 Plymouth and dad’s old 50 Ford!
© 24hourcampfire