Home
Posted By: wabigoon Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
I did just a while ago, no bad, I might be a little sore tomorrow laugh.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
Yes.
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
Oh yeah, I fell 2 days ago and just now feeling the aches.
Posted By: las Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
80 or 100....
Posted By: dale06 Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
Lots of times.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
Glad your OK. It can hurt.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
Back in the late 80's when I was young lad of 48, or so, I did a little bit of pond skating. Good thing I was well padded. laugh
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
yes
Posted By: deflave Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
For a guy that splits his time between Iowa and Canaduh, you sure are one ignorant sonofabitch when it comes to all things cold.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
After several falls on the icy redwood stairs up at the mountain cabin we nailed down composition shingles on all the steps.

The sandy grit helps but you still have to be careful in the wintertime. Sliding down the stairs on your ass hurts.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
Never
It's thawing in the sun, the downspout leaks on the deck step, whoops! laugh Plus I had my house slippers on not the Mucks.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
I slipped and fell on Christmas eve. My back is still not right.
It's all in how you land.

I must have passed sort of a stress test!
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
Never

Cat like reflexes

Always land on my feet

#StableWalker

šŸ¦«
Posted By: paddlejon Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
United State Military Academy. Ice finally polished by the Hudson Valley winds. Pinging across Central Area as a Plebe wearing low quarters. Yes ice treats a person roughly - especially the landing!
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
If you are lucky no one caught it on camera....

Try

Hob nailed boots...
Posted By: deflave Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
Tanks freeze?

How make tank not freeze?

Me farmer?

Ice?

How no ice?

Cows.
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
If you are lucky no one caught it on camera....

Try

Hob nailed boots...

On oak floors!!!!
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
Falling on ice is for commoners. Falling off ice is the realm of the adventurous, and Eskimos.

mike r
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21

Who hasnā€™t fallen on ice where thereā€™s ice?
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
Of the100's of times,which do you want to know about.

I know all about that pond ice and hockey.
Better than getting thrown off a horse!
Back in basic training I had to make up a day at record range I missed while on KP. The other company had a drill Sargent like a bandy rooster.

So he's canting out cadence, and marching backwards, and did not see the ice. No one smiled, outwardly!
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
Plenty of times.
All over the planet.

You old cats need ta watch out for that stuff.
Busted bones in the eldery dont go well.

Unrelated to ice below:
But pertinent....

My FIL basically died as result of a fall and a broken wing.
From a stupid kitchen floor mat of all things.

Dominoe effect of complications that progressively got worse over 4 months.
He was cremated with a broken arm.

All from some dumb kitchen matt that his sea hag girlfriend was too ignorant and stubborn to move when told it was a trip hazard numerous times.

20 dollar wally world raised rubber matt and a ignorant old woman who couldnt be told anything killed him basically.

You old cats need ta be careful and situationally aware of your surroundings.

And going outside in slippers Wabi is not looking out for yourself.
At your age all it takes is one mishap.
A local man slipped on a hall rug, paralyzed for life.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
Yup

1. Fall and break a hip
2. Surgery
3. Get pneumonia and die

4. Brother on law raids your ammo stash while lies are being told at your funeral
Posted By: cclarkblues Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
Slipped at the carwash last spring. Soapy water over ice is really slippery. Did an instantaneous nose plant breaking my glasses. Bled all over my truck once I managed to crawl in. Couple of weeks later it was fine. I do hate that feeling knowing that you have hurt yourself and the pain just hasn't arrived yet.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
More times than I care to recall. The best was a few years ago. We have a fiber runner to put down on icy steps. Late at night, I, in my pajamas realized that it would be nice to put it out for the lady who delivers our paper in the morning, as it had just stopped with a bit of freezing drizzle. Donning shoes, I ventured out to place the mat. Doing so required that I step onto the walk in order to get it placed just so. This resulted in a rather sudden, and I would say impressive performance of going ass over tip. I re-entered the house liberally plastered with frozen grass, leaves, and other oddments. My one ankle had a great deal of criticism of the performance, enough so that I actually, after a couple of weeks, went to see our physician's assistant. After careful examination, she patiently (she is always kind) explained to me that as we age, we tend to damage a bit more easily and get over it a bit more slowly.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
Fall on it, or through it?

Yes, regardless.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
Falls kills old people.....and I am moving rapidly in that direction. I need to break out my golf spikes!
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/18/21
This Adirondack boy began playing hockey with the other kids somewhere near the year 1947 - 48. Some kids even had skates. I think I might have fallen a time or two. Managed to fall a few times since. No falls yet this winter but the ice conditions here indicate that it would gladly receive me.
If you see it coming, you don't fall.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
I have very recent experience with that,...still feeling the effects of it.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
i have a driveway that makes that very easy to happen. black ice under thin layer of snow kind of stuff. i have fallen so fast i've almost bounced my noggin on the concrete. i park around back of the house when its bad now. thats one nice thing about having a subaru. i can park that SOB anywhere i want.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Grew up speed skating every single chance we got in the old country, falling is easier the faster you go. Still had a couple of good falls, including a doozy of a concussion. To be trite, it's not the falling, it's the landing that's the problem. I noticed about 15 years ago I stopped bouncing when I landed.... I figure the next step is starting to break when landing.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
As a first string right wing.. Once or twice.
Posted By: hanco Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Yesterday, was lucky.
Posted By: stantdm Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Lots of times. The "on" is usually okay if you don't hit your head. It is "through" I worry most about.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Wabi, you must like the chit flave gives you.

Thought you were troll, thinking you might be a masochist.

Plenty of sadist here to oblige.

Were you an Alter Boy?
Posted By: kingston Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Congratulations on the new keyboard Wabi.

I'9 ha9 a9ou9 enou9h of t9is.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Turning into a yearly ritual since I turned 50. Jumped out of my truck onto a sheet of black ice at work last year, ended up on my back and spilled my coffee all over me. Ended up with stitches in my elbow.
2 days ago I walkout out the front door and saw the ice covered steps so I gingerly started down the steps and promptly ended up on my back. Feels like I jacked up my shoulder.
I donā€™t like where this is headed.
Posted By: memtb Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Only in the winter! grin memtb
Posted By: funshooter Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Yes
To many times to count.
Posted By: Rt50blaster Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Straight up busted my ass in the driveway couple days ago. Crocs have 0 traction in ice!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Originally Posted by kingston
Congratulations on the new keyboard Wabi.

I'9 ha9 a9ou9 enou9h of t9is.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
I stepped out of the truck at the office a few years back, and the first thing that hit the asphalt was the back of my head. I guess that was the best place I could have hit. After I woke up, eveything was good except the headach.
laugh
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon

6:00 AM yesterday morning. We have two steps from the patio to the house. We put in a ramp 8 ft long to the garage entry door for Momma before her hip replacement.

Yesterday morning, I stepped out onto the ramp, and ended up flat on my back. Bruised my right elbow a bit.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Yup, and it hurts more the older I get.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Originally Posted by deflave
For a guy that splits his time between Iowa and Canaduh, you sure are one ignorant sonofabitch when it comes to all things cold.

Iā€™ll give flave that. Rude delivery but the message is sound.

Yes, I bust my ass typically once or twice or maybe not, per winter. I prefer laughing at those who eat [bleep] in front of me. But, it happens to even the ā€˜preparedā€™. Broke my collar bone two years ago when I went down on black ice in parking lot walking to my truck after work. Fuggin flat sole loafers...
FLA shoes. My fault. Sucked Azzz trying to drive home on a standard. Busted on right side.
Havenā€™t gone down yet this winter. But donā€™t want to jinx it.
Thanks for all the kind replies good folks!
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I stepped out of the truck at the office a few years back, and the first thing that hit the asphalt was the back of my head. I guess that was the best place I could have hit. After I woke up, eveything was good except the headach.

I got a concussion out of shoulder-break too. Funny. I wasnā€™t ā€˜outā€™ long on that fall. But a number of years ago when I was drinking harder, I was rolling around this old-town after a dinner date that failed, in wing-tips,... Crazy cobble stone sidewalks, all kinds of sloped, black ice, went down in a really nice suit and I guess I fell asleep right there. Snoring. Some guys in one of the kitchens knew who I was and brought me in to warm up. Lol. I wake up in a folding chair in a busy-ass restaurant kitchen by the ovens with kitchen guys holding up fingers in my face asking me if I can count them. ā€œThanks a lot fellas, Iā€™m ok, gotta go. Anytime you need to borrow anything, you know where Iā€™m atā€.
Posted By: HughW Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Yes a few times -- once playing hockey with a concussion that put me in the hospital for a week and another time landing on my side with my elbow down to break the fall, drove the shoulder apart with some torn tendons.

Funniest was walking the dogs and having both feet go out on an area with a skiff of snow over flood ice. Landed on my back winded and both dogs came over to check me out licking my face. Initially I did not have enough air to tell them to stop.
If you see it coming, you don't fall.

Nahhh thatā€™s BS. Depends on footwear. You can see it coming a mile away. You can do everything. Hell I wear really nasty spikes when Iā€™m Ice-fishing on sheer stuff. It donā€™t matter. You can fall.
Sucks worse when your center of gravity is high. I bet flave goes 5ā€™10ā€.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Ever played ice hockey ? I bounced a lot.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Several years ago, a customer drove up to me and said "You look kinda scared"
"I'm afraid if I move, I'll go down"
While standing motionless, talking to him - my feet went out from under me and I landed right between my shoulder blades!
He said "You never moved" My reply "I told you it was slick" smile smile smile
As I'm 6'1", my shoulder blades are quite a ways from the ground. Glad I was young(er) then!
My hip is sore this morning! Steps are sort of painful! laugh
Posted By: JD_MT Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Yes, get Yaktrax.
Posted By: Dess Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Carrying a 24' ladder. Not fun. Don't miss the "good old working days".
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21

3 People injured here on the ranch this week from falling on the ice, broken elbow, split head , and a busted butt--- not mine, but very sore, the ice has taken a toll here. Rio7
Posted By: Windfall Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Originally Posted by JD_MT
Yes, get Yaktrax.

It took until page four for a new guy to mention Yaktrax! Best $20.00 you will spend to have a set of them on an old pair of shoes in the hallway. Ice and winter are synonymous and as you get older you donā€™t have those cat like reflexes mentioned earlier. A fall can be life threatening.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I slipped and fell on Christmas eve. My back is still not right.

Too much Christmas cheer!!!!!šŸ˜
Posted By: Huntz Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Fell on ice walking into Boogerking Nov.2019 Knocked out cold for 10 minutes.I still get headaches from that fall.I had vertigo for 2 months.Dr.said two inches lower on the back of my head and I would have been dead.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
I think "someone" invented ice to put us through a little hell on earth.

I'll not recount the particulars, suffice it to say I've got a divot in my left thigh from a torn quad and had the pleasure of a 2.75 hr rotator cuff operation and the wonderful recovery therefrom because of ice.

Here, the decks get #6 grit sprinkled liberally starting in Sept and refreshed if the snow gets swept off. It sounds bad when the vacuum cleaner gets some that didn't come off on the walk off runners and ended up in the carpeting. They make new vacuum cleaners or parts should one of those break though. I have a new knee, but I haven't heard of tailbone replacement yet.
Posted By: OGB Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
I grew up in Wisconsin.......
Posted By: deflave Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Originally Posted by RIO7

3 People injured here on the ranch this week from falling on the ice, broken elbow, split head , and a busted butt--- not mine, but very sore, the ice has taken a toll here. Rio7

Itā€™s hell on retards.
Posted By: deflave Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Originally Posted by Windfall
Yes, get Yaktrax.

It took until page four for a new guy to mention Yaktrax! Best $20.00 you will spend to have a set of them on an old pair of shoes in the hallway. Ice and winter are synonymous and as you get older you donā€™t have those cat like reflexes mentioned earlier. A fall can be life threatening.

Hey thatā€™s a good idea!

Wabigoon,

Have you heard of YakTrax?
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
I fell while getting out of my pickup in a parking lot this past week. I didn't hit my head but couldn't stick the landing and hit about everything else.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Living in Alaska in the winter you don't lift feet up you shuffle on ice, when we went to Hawaii you lift your feet in the sand took some getting used to. All of our outside shoes have cleats. Well plowed drive way has 1.5" of ice from the hoar frost, under light snow covering but its only there for 6.5 months! Chiropractors and Drs do a lot of buisness here from all the falls.
Posted By: Otter Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Yup - I have fallen on ice numerous times. I lost count by the time I was probably a 5 y.o.
Posted By: dubePA Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
If you live where it gets icy and haven't went on your ass yet, you must be a useless couch tater?
Posted By: ironbender Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Yes, get Yaktrax.

Diamond for the win. The coiled hard wire type are ok, but you can still slip. One can dance w the diamonds. $42 locally.

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/ic...msclkid=e4c74bf0f9791f9c51ba2bc0c76e36cf
Posted By: 1minute Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Probably once a week in the winter months.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Too many times to count. My dilemma now is that I have two shoulder joint replacements. If I stick out an arm to break my fall, I'll probably tear up the implant. I guess that I'll just let my hard head hit the pavement and break the concrete...
Posted By: ironbender Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/19/21
Originally Posted by ironbender
Yes, get Yaktrax.

Diamond for the win. The coiled hard wire type are ok, but you can still slip. One can dance w the diamonds. $42 locally.

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/ic...msclkid=e4c74bf0f9791f9c51ba2bc0c76e36cf

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

Seriously! If you are going to have to walk on ice, these could save you a lot.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/20/21
I've reached the age where I fall down on ice, but I'm still young enough to fall "right".
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Ever fall on ice? - 02/20/21

That's good.
When I train like I should, that's one skill that I practice.
It's saved my neck more than once and is more practical than fighting for most.
Lol.
There are bad ways to fall and there's good ways to fall. When you fall properly, things aren't as likely to break. The ironic thing is that one good way is called a "break fall," that keeps you from breaking when you fall.

It sounds like you had a good fall. šŸ‘

This guy gives a variation to my way, but its enough to get an idea.
Main thing is tuck chin and relax. Go with it rather than fight gravity. Never lock elbows...

© 24hourcampfire