Home
Posted By: gkt5450 Gulf Coast Fishing - 02/19/21
I’ve seen some info on Tx fisheries. I’m wondering effect from Louisiana thru SW Florida? Didn’t know how far south the cold weather dagger plunged. Had a couple of spring trips planned and just wanted to hear from some locals regarding this. Many thanks.
Posted By: rong Re: Gulf Coast Fishing - 02/19/21
Post this up in the fishing forum,might get some info.
Posted By: leesway2 Re: Gulf Coast Fishing - 02/19/21
It was cold here in NW Florida,but not long enough to hurt the fishery. The mullet did not even float as far as I know.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Gulf Coast Fishing - 02/19/21
there are two or three threads on this already.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Gulf Coast Fishing - 02/19/21
Well its 84 here in SWFL. So probably not much effect.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Gulf Coast Fishing - 02/19/21
My bad Stxhunter. I’d only seen re to Texas freeze.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Gulf Coast Fishing - 02/19/21
Originally Posted by gkt5450
My bad Stxhunter. I’d only seen re to Texas freeze.

no problem just thought you might find some info in them.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15801702/ltppowel#Post15801702
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Gulf Coast Fishing - 02/21/21
Been on the water at the Tx/La border and water temp is already up to 60°. No sign of fish kills other than those trapped in shallow marsh. I just spoke to SteveNO and he said it only got down to 27° in New Orleans, so I'm sure effects will be minimal east of Texas.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Gulf Coast Fishing - 02/21/21
The water temps in Galveston Bay got down into the upper 30s. It's already up to 43 at that station. It probably got colder than that in some of the still backwater areas. It was 45 here on Lake Pontchartrain. The only effect it had was stacking fish up in the deeper spots and making them easier to catch.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/WestGulf.shtml
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Gulf Coast Fishing - 02/21/21
True Grit on here cam tell you anything you wanna know about Gulf fishing. He'll probably see this thread.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Gulf Coast Fishing - 02/21/21
the water here was up to 46 today.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Gulf Coast Fishing - 02/21/21
Northern Florida is good......no fish kill that I know of.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Gulf Coast Fishing - 02/21/21
I had planned to take the kayak out this morning and see if I could snag a few seatrout but 16mph winds and higher gusts making it too sporty for me here in SWFL.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Gulf Coast Fishing - 02/21/21
Thanks all. We have dear friends, 70/67, that have sold a ranch west of Ft.Worth. Rather than allowing the feds to determine what’s going to happen in the next few years w various $gains, they are buying a fine place from folks in Venice, Florida. We’re all headed there in 30 to 45 days for some fun and fishing. That was the reason for the inquiry as wife and I are going to fish our way back home after a week or so there. Thank you again.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Gulf Coast Fishing - 02/21/21
Thanks all. We have dear friends, 70/67, that have sold a ranch west of Ft.Worth. Rather than allowing the feds to determine what’s going to happen in the next few years w various $gains, they are buying a fine place from folks in Venice, Florida. We’re all headed there in 30 to 45 days for some fun and fishing. That was the reason for the inquiry as wife and I are going to fish our way back home after a week or so there. Thank you again.

Wow! Sounds like a great idea for a road trip. Enjoy!
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Gulf Coast Fishing - 02/21/21

If you are going to be on the MS Coast or NOLA area for a day or two, shoot me a PM. It may work out that we can do some kayak or motorboat fishing.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Gulf Coast Fishing - 02/21/21
That would be outstanding. Thank you.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Gulf Coast Fishing - 03/10/21
Det Powell and others. We had some pretty darn good cold spells before the Big Freeze hit. I just wonder why the trout and reds hadnt headed out to deeper water before it.
© 24hourcampfire