Home
Posted By: Oldman03 Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/19/21
Along with several other members of the Campfire, I am a member of a Volunteer Fire Dept. Today the neighboring fire district had a house fire and called us for help. Because of the snow and ice, the neighboring district couldn't get engines to the fire. I managed to get one of our engines and another member of our dept. managed to get our tanker to the scene. Driving was terribly slow, but we got there safely. Sadly, we were too late to save the structure. All we could do was prevent the adjoining houses from any damage. The only good thing is that no one was home at the time. Houses can be replaced, but you still hate to see anyone loose everything they had.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/19/21
good stuff. lot of dedication to do that. my boys are both with our local VFD. they've seen a lot for young men.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/19/21
Window breaking basement flooders......

The fact that there are full time paid fire fighters in 2021 is a joke. And volunteers are the most reckless driving clowns out there
Posted By: lightman Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/19/21
I worked very closely with 6 different volunteer fire departments as an electrical lineman, before I retired. I was in AWE of their bravery and dedication. I cherished that time and the friends that I made. My hats off to every Fireman everywhere!
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/19/21
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

The fact that there are full time paid fire fighters in 2021 is a joke.

And volunteers are the most reckless driving clowns out there

Damn Bubba, you should keep a hose handy just in case.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/19/21

The fact that there are full time paid fire fighters in 2021 is a joke. And volunteers are the most reckless driving clowns out there

Bad juju to trash people that might one day save your bacon.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/19/21

don't worry, they'll still risk their lives to drag you and your family out of your burning house even if you are too ignorant to appreciate what they do.
Posted By: logcutter Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/19/21
Originally Posted by Morewood

Bad juju to trash people that might one day save your bacon.

X3..My youngest is a volunteer fire fighter and on the extraction team for the hospital..Seen some horrible things,especially on extraction...

Jayco
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/19/21
I'm 63, have been a volunteer since age 16. Now a Life Member.
Guess who just earned a spot on my "ignore" list.

J_H, what have you done for your neighbors lately?
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/19/21
My hat is off to the VFD's. Seems like everyday ours light up.

Only had to call them once, 4AM and our monoxide detectors were going off. Chief lives just down the road he stopped at our place to make sure everyone was safe while the rest of the crew showed up shortly afterwards with the rigs.
Our local volunteer fire departments are great, but always seem to be mired in political BS. We have lost entire crews because the chief and board didn’t get along. They are always short on personal because of high school politics. I used to help out doing IT stuff because my back is too shot to fight fires, but the BS got to be too much.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/19/21
Jackoff Handy really needs to unphuque himself!
Posted By: roundoak Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/19/21
Serving in the military and now as a volunteer fire fighter it is a honor to be in the presence of some of the finest human beings on this earth.
Posted By: Chrome Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
The average Joe has no idea what a firefighter's job entails.

Whether your paid or volunteer. You do what nobody else wants to do...

High angle rope rescue, Confine space rescue, Hazardous Material Technician. Trying to gain an airway on a 10 year old kid who was just hit by a car. Crawling through a burning house looking for trapped victims that were never at home in the beginning. Sleep deprivation that takes about ten years off of your life.

It's the best job in the world !

Until there's a fire....
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21

So who do call when your house is on fire?
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
You did what you could, Oldman and G*d bless and keep safe All Fireman as they do so much more than just spray water.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
You did what you could, Oldman and G*d bless and keep safe All Fireman as they do so much more than just spray water.

I love you, man
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
Had a house go up across the street. 100year old farm house with a bad gas valve. Volunteers unassed that house very quickly. No matter what approach they tried, non stop flare ups. Gas company couldn't shut the gas off.

Local farmers brought his excavator over and they tried to dig for another point to try and shut the gas off. By the time the gas was off that 2 story was fully engulfed. So they used the excavator to knock what was left down.

They had 3 departments here. We got 4 cases of water and God knows how many pots of coffee we made. Also offered our bathroom. Thank God we have 2 bathrooms.

It was a long day for those guys and the local guys still talk about that one.
Randy you may remember some years back that the fire station in Baton Rouge located on Monterey Drive got a urgent call for assistance for a really bad one out in Central.

In their haste to respond , they broke camp and hauled ass off to the location.

But they were in the process of having a Friday fish fry at the time of the call and left the catfish still in the Oil and frying away.

Burned the fire station down.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21

Thanks, to all volunteers for their service. Hasbeen
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
Great job OldMan3!

The fact that you got done what you did....given the circumstances...is damn good.

Glad no one was hurt....glad you didn't freeze your engines up.

Coldest I have ever personally had multiple streams flowing was -27 below.

That was a mutual aid call 20 miles away.

Our Storz cap was frozen on solid. We had to borrow a torch!

Didn't take long.....but if felt like an eternity. Especially since there was a confirmed person inside and the home FD was fubared.
Originally Posted by BobBrown

I love you, man

I know, Flave.

And You can go ahead and swallow, it won’t make you pregnant. There now.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
I live quite a ways out in the country and depend of my local volunteer fire department. They are some fine fellas who drop everything when they get notified of an emergency. Unfortunately, if I have a major house fire I expect to lose everything as their equipment can't carry much water. Oh well, that's why we carry insurance.
I don't care if it's your job or not. Any person who enters a burning building to rescue a living soul gets my respect. I believe in that situation I would go in to try and rescue anyone trapped inside.
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I live quite a ways out in the country and depend of my local volunteer fire department. They are some fine fellas who drop everything when they get notified of an emergency. Unfortunately, if I have a major house fire I expect to lose everything as their equipment can't carry much water. Oh well, that's why we carry insurance.

You gotta admit some of them boys just want the emergency lights installed on their lifted Jeep Cherokee. only kidding

Git r dun boys

I love you, man

I know, Flave.

Dude you still owe me for last time. F off
Posted By: Krazi Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
I put up my boots in 2009 with 25 years in. I could have stayed on and run trucks I spose but was getting a little long in the tooth for entry and air packs.

I love you, man

I know, Flave.

Hopefully you’ll be able to quit your part time job at The Gloryhole.

But you’ll be missed.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21

Here, show us on the doll where the bad fireman touched you..........
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
I was a founding member of our local VFD about 40 years ago. I went on a lot of runs back then, even to a plane crash that killed a long time neighbor. The department had a lot of ups and downs over the years, as is often the case with these small rural volunteer organizations. I have not gone on a run in many years, have no desire to either, but am still a dues paying member and will do anything I can to help keep it going.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
Originally Posted by Oldman3
The only good thing is that no one was home at the time. Houses can be replaced, but you still hate to see anyone loose everything they had.

No one got hurt and you kept other structures from getting involved. I'd say that was a successful day Brother!

It is damn tough watching folks lose it all though.
Posted By: PJ65 Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21

Somebody couldn't pass the physical agility
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21

Yup, we would in spite of you !!!

Originally Posted by rem141r

don't worry, they'll still risk their lives to drag you and your family out of your burning house even if you are too ignorant to appreciate what they do.

I love you, man

I know, Flave.

But you’ll be missed.

Glory hole? part time?

I am self employed Mutha Fugka !
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I was a founding member of our local VFD about 40 years ago. I went on a lot of runs back then, even to a plane crash that killed a long time neighbor. The department had a lot of ups and downs over the years, as is often the case with these small rural volunteer organizations. I have not gone on a run in many years, have no desire to either, but am still a dues paying member and will do anything I can to help keep it going.

Thanks for your service.

I love you, man

I know, Flave.

But you’ll be missed.

Glory hole? part time?

I am self employed Mutha Fugka !

I’d heard that you went out on your own after claiming Workman’s Comp. for a sore throat.

Good on ya, James.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
Our house damn near burnt down when I was a kid, if it wasn't for our volunteer fire dept. it would have. Nothing but respect since!
Posted By: marktheshark Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Our local volunteer fire departments are great, but always seem to be mired in political BS. We have lost entire crews because the chief and board didn’t get along. They are always short on personal because of high school politics. I used to help out doing IT stuff because my back is too shot to fight fires, but the BS got to be too much.

This is a problem in the volly service nationwide apparently. I have been a member of several, all of which had that BS. Currently am serving as Fire Chief after being nominated pretty much against my wishes at a company meeting to move up from my deputy chief postion which I enjoyed much more than the top spot. Problem was the Chief was playing BS games and pizzed off about 3/4 of the membership. Now I have the lovely pleasure of having to attend municipal meetings etc. Have held officer positions in various companies for over 20 years. Plan on finishing this year out and then "retiring" to chauffeur status.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
Randy you may remember some years back that the fire station in Baton Rouge located on Monterey Drive got a urgent call for assistance for a really bad one out in Central.

In their haste to respond , they broke camp and hauled ass off to the location.

But they were in the process of having a Friday fish fry at the time of the call and left the catfish still in the Oil and frying away.

Burned the fire station down.

That is one for the books!
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
Saw smoke coming from a house one day and called FD, all volunteer in this area. Me and a neighbor went in and made sure no one was in the house while FD was enroute, they come boiling in with their tankers and pop up a mini pool and start filling it with water. By now house is completely engulfed. They get about 4 loads of water in the mini pool and start pumping water on the house, and here comes Bubba with his load of water, backs into the pool and caves the side in and all that water went in the yard. House burnt to the fuqking ground.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
Originally Posted by PJ65

Lol cooking chili and playing video games? Lol....ya tough work.

Go look up how many structure fires your local fire dept went on in 2020, then divide that by 365......prepare to laugh.

Ps heaven forbid you joke around in a fire fighter thread....the butt hurt will flow.
Posted By: Quak Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
Those that won't criticize.

Those that are willing...DO
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
I've been with a volunteer FD nearly everywhere I've lived and worked since the mid-90s. Been pretty fortunate (lucky) to not to have much activity over the years. When I pull the pin on my day job and make my final move to my up north house in a few months, I'll apply to volunteer for that department too. Not much structure activity there so far either, but they do get sent out to hold the line on encroaching wildland fires from time to time.
Posted By: clintsfolly Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
Thanks to all that are full and volunteer fire fighters! I have a friend that is the Chief of a small fire department. His is a slightly more challenging as he lives on a island of about 60-80 full time residents. I had the unfortunate luck to need his department’s services. My wife fell and shattered he elbow. It was 8:00 Saturday night when I made the call. In 5 minutes the Asst Chief was there. The ambulance and 3person crew in about ten minutes and the Chief with in 15. They stabilized Her arm and shoulder and transporter her and I to the harbor and had the marine transport boat waiting for us. We where transported across the s Straits of Mackinaw to the nearest port with a hospital. At the port we where met by a ambulance to get us to the hospital. All arrangements made by my friend the Chief. So again Thanks you to all volunteers for all the training and planning to help them in their time of need! These fine people gave my wife the help she needed during a time I couldn’t do much!
Posted By: Scotty Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
My brother put in a number of years working with a VFD. He told me that you never know when it is going to be your house, so they need someone.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
I was on our FD in my home town for 12 years, and it seemed every time we had nasty weather, something would happen. One time we were called out in an ice storm and we nearly killed ourselves getting to the station, and it was a false alarm......other times during snow and storms it was a structure fire or wreck.....gotta go to find out.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
Five Years VFD. Fifteen years EMT. Hats off to all the guys who spend countless hours each year, planned, and unplanned, to keep the rest of us safe. Finally got to the age that I could not run all night, and work the primary job all day.

@OP, relative to getting fiire apparatus to a difficult location in snow and ice. The VFD I ran with in NE PA finally went to having people building new homes on the side of mountains sign a waiver to get their building permit. Waiver acknowledged that the VFD would do best effort to get to their houses in the winter. However, VFD was not going to risk lives, or valuable equipment, to extinguish a fire during ice and snow, just because the owners could afford to build in billy goat heaven.

Go look up how many structure fires your local fire dept went on in 2020, then divide that by 365......prepare to laugh.

Ps heaven forbid you joke around in a fire fighter thread....the butt hurt will flow.

What does the number of structure fires have to do with how good or bad a volunteer fire department is? Our local VFD has an ISO rating of 3. Saves us a bunch on everyone’s home owners insurance.

I was a member for 25 years, left and my youngest son now wears my number.

Obviously you have never had to extract someone from a vehicle with them screaming in your ear.

Or the day we rolled up on an accident only to find out it was the 18 year old son of one of our firefighters. Yeah that’s a lot of fun. Not everyday you get to break the news to one of your brothers that they just lost their only son.

Over the years I have seen things that cannot be unseen. All the while earning zero in compensation.

Jackson Handy you are an [bleep] or an arsonist. Or both. I have found that most folks that talk [bleep] about fire departments typically do so because they take the fun away.
Posted By: PJ65 Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21

25 year paid fireman here. Small intermountain city, coverage includes rural as well wild land urban interface. We respond to fires of course, but also provide ALS ambulance and transport. Swift water and ice rescue. Regional Haz Mat response. Vehicle extrication. High angle and technical rescue. ARFF. lots of variety in skills and responses. We are most of the time the first to arrive at downed power lines, electrical hazards, natural gas and propane leaks. At a minimum all members are trained to EMT-B. Ambulance is staffed with at least one individual trained to EMT-P. Department responds to in the neighborhood of 14,000-15,000 calls per year, with over 80% being the EMS variety , with those including vehicle accidents. At the end of my career now, its a young mans game. Physically I still keep up with the youngsters (for awhile at least), but the sleep deprivation is what gets to me now. Its been a good run. I have been lucky enough to be surrounded by like minded individuals who enjoy serving the public and training/staying physically fit. We have made the difference in the lives of some people. Good friend of mine was brought back from cardiac arrest by co workers on another shift. Through the years I remember some of those we saved and some of those we couldnt. Several years ago I remember extricating a 16 year old girl with severe head trauma. T bone accident. Lengthy and difficult extrication but we were able to cut her out, provide ALS care and transport to ER. We all thought she wouldnt last the night but she actually left the hospital with very little deficit. Over the years we have made a difference. Its always uncomfortable when people thank us for our service. We are just civil servants doing a job. RNs at the hospital are the true heroes. And the lineman!
Are there clowns and jokers in the fire service? Absolutely! In both paid and volunteer departments, there are always the "I fight what you fear" t shirt wearing bumper sticker jockeys. Lord knows we also have our share of politicians and ladder climbers. I have always tried to impress on the younger guys to just be a quite professional.

As far as being a "joke" over the last week my crew has extricated an elderly woman whose car was struck by a semi, responded to 1 commercial and 2 residential
carbon monoxide calls. Both residential calls presented CO in excess of 50 ppm in the home, and the gas company was called for assistance. Numerous other vehicle accidents, cardiac events, strokes, breathing problems, suicide attempts etc. A structure fire that involved the attic. Heavy heat and smoke upon entry, but we split crew to accomplish primary search. Structure is presently being worked on by restoration company.

No butt hurt here sir. Firemen usually have pretty tough skin. Have to. My apologies for the physical agility comment.
Posted By: deflave Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
The smaller the fire department the louder their handheld has to be turned up while in public.

Also the small departments increase chances of each fireman having an obscure relative that was a “tunnel rat” in Vietnam.
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
I got on our local VFD when I was 16 and was there about four years. They let a buddy and I join as “junior firefighters”. We battled field fires, looked for lost people and helped on what medical runs we could with a fire thrown in here and there.
We washed trucks, serviced trucks, helped with fundraisers and generally had a ball.
The older guys were glad to have us, the mentorship was good and it kept us from getting into more trouble than we would have without the fire service to channel some of that youthful energy.
After I got out of the service, I got onto the paid department in our hometown.
Twenty-five years later, here I set, a lieutenant in charge of my own station and own engine company. It’s hard to believe time has passed this quickly but it’s been a good run and I will probably be here for many years to come if my health holds and I’m still alive. I wouldn’t change a thing and have really enjoyed my career minus the bad stuff.
God bless all who take on the mantle of this profession whether they be paid or volunteer. They all have something to contribute and they all have generally sacrificed something over the years.
It would be a bad place to be if you had an emergency and no one came. Thank the Lord for those who will come.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
the local VFD that my boys joined in high school has been the best thing they have ever done. they got outstanding training, exposure to situations that 99% of people would never see, made lifelong friends who they know they can count on for their lives and get to have a lot of fun while giving back to their community. yes there is political BS involved. same as any organization. american legion, vfw, moose, boy scouts, elks, etc all have that schit going on. but the good far outweighs the bad. if it wasn't for the VFD's in this area, our taxes would be a lot higher and our level of service would be much less.

and as for the ass-hole saying to count the structure fires, it ain't structure fires that take up the vast majority or their time. lets see your wise ass be the first to roll up on a scene where there was a car wrapped around a pole with live wires arcing and kids trapped inside screaming. or how about rolling up on a scene and seeing one of your best friends legs sticking out from under the car that just crushed him to death? all stuff myt sons have experienced in their 24 y/o lives. or how about some more mundane schit like CO detectors, false alarms, flooded basements, and traffic control along with endless fundraisers and trips to schools and scout troops? all done at the drop of a hat 24x7x365 with no pay while ass-holes make fun of the guys with the LED's on their trucks and radios on their hips. these folks are proud of what they do and not afraid to show it.

and ya, they fugg up occasionally. try doing what they do perfectly all the time.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
Originally Posted by JTrapper73
... Thank the Lord for those who will come.

Amen...
Posted By: reivertom Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21

Yeah....and when your house is on fire, you'd be the first to call for help.......and you won't care if they are volunteers or paid. What a dumb statement.
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
I accidentally set my field on fire. Maybe more than once. Sure glad someone was around to help a fella out.
I was visiting a friend in Texas a year or so ago. Place was a total schit hole. Can't remember the name of the place but it wasn't far from Dallas. Southeast of there.

Anyway, we saw a decent fire as we were pulling out of his subdivision and after hauling ass around two blocks so we could access the property, I ran up to the house and pounded on the door. Guy answers and I tell him that all his cord wood is blazing right next to his garage and asked where the hose was. My buddy was on the phone with 911 and giving the address.

He tells me where the hose was and luckily for him, he had about 150yds of garden hose attached to this fugking reel. I sprinted out to the street while telling him to turn it on. Then I ran back to the house with hose in hand (that's what she said).

No nozzle so I had to do the thumb over the dick hole technique. Charged in and holy fugking schit it was hot but I was able to get a lot of water onto the structure and hit the main fire pretty well. Homeowners standing there yelling "OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!" I ask him if there's another hose and his eyes light up and he runs away. Turns out there was and it was on the backside of this now considerably large and hot fire.

The wife is standing there in the driveway (a big driveway) and my buddy tells her to get their vehicles out into the street.

She somewhat accomplishes that while the fire is getting hit by both sides. The smoke got too thick once the fire was mostly under control and I handed the hose off to my buddy while I walked to the street and hacked for a while. In between coughs I would blurt out "OH MY GOD!" and my friend would bust up laughing and have to walk out of the smoke.

Went around back and told the homeowner that I hope he had a log splitter because all his BBQ wood is gone, gone, gone. He was on the verge of tears and I just patted him on the back and told him to relax, no harm no foul.

About this time the fire department rolled up and three guys in full bunker gear walk past (oxygen and masks included) and I made my smart ass comments about heroes, thank you for your service, blah, blah, blah. One of the dick head cops immediately approached the homeowner and asked what happened. I guess he couldn't see the Smokey Joe smoldering on top of what was the fire. I assumed the guy put it out there the previous evening thinking it was fully extinguished. And the heat of the day brought it back to speed.

This was all around noon on a weekday.

There was a big post about the "anonymous heroes" on the local Facebooks that night. As we got uproariously drunk we kept calling each other a "hero" for the rest of the evening. And morning.

That's only one of my many hero stories.

Suffice to say, nobody gives a fugk, nor do I expect them to.

Hero!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
LOL

no key to the city??

😎😃
Youre not a hero unless you help roll the hoses up.

Director of our EMA told me that chit. 🤣
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
Deflave,
Kudos to you and your friend for helping out. Unfortunately, people driving by is getting to be all to common.
It was cardboard....on top of a Dairy Queen ice cream cake.
Originally Posted by reivertom

Yeah....and when your house is on fire, you'd be the first to call for help.......and you won't care if they are volunteers or paid. What a dumb statement.

Well I do pay for the service. Calling them won't help much, fire damage with water damage on top of it. Not to mention by the time they roll up, if you're not out you're dead anyway and your house is f ucked.

I get it, they're heros, that get paid to sleep and grocery shop. I am forever indebted to them.

Well I do pay for the service. Calling them won't help much, fire damage with water damage on top of it. Not to mention by the time they roll up, if you're not out you're dead anyway and your house is f ucked.

I get it, they're heros, that get paid to sleep and grocery shop. I am forever indebted to them.

Hahaha! Your dumbass probably had to have a fancy home to go along with all the other fancy dumbassess.

Homes filled with fancy schit made out of solid gasoline.

Sorry Charlie.
Your entire walk in closet of all matching Under Armor is gonna burn.

It’s not a comfortable thing for most people to say and it does cause massive amount of butt hurt, but most fire departments today do just that.

They’re also pretty good at finding fault which doesn’t help most folks.

And they’re expensive.
When I moved to this locale, I was talked into being a trustee on the board for our local VFD. Did it a couple years and bowed out. They needed a warm body that was neutral, as they were recovering from a royal shidtshow involving a criminal chief embezzling funds and misusing equipment etc. it’s all politic beyond that, what we pay in taxes for our vfd is pretty ridiculous.

That being said, I’ll say not one negative thing about the guys that step up to volunteer for it. They all have real jobs and families, yet still take on the extra duty to serve the community. My hat is off to them.
Originally Posted by JTrapper73
Deflave,
Kudos to you and your friend for helping out. Unfortunately, people driving by is getting to be all to common.

We were day drinking so had lots of courage.

And my friend spotted it through the narrowest of gaps between privacy fences. It looked like moderate amounts of smoke until I backed up to get the angle he initially saw it at.

But as soon as I did I knew he was right. Legit fire.
Originally Posted by deflave

It’s not a comfortable thing for most people to say and it does cause massive amount of butt hurt, but most fire departments today do just that.

And they’re expensive.

Do you know what your McMansion is made out of?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

And they’re expensive.

Dead paupers likely
Originally Posted by slumlord
LOL

no key to the city??

😎😃

As soon as we saw the cop getting kghunty with the homeowner we beat fugking feet.

Matter of fact, my buddy repositioned my rig once everything was under control because he knew there’d be no leaving once the FD got there. (They LOVE blocking all egress and ingress routes)

We are not without experience. LOL
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
We have a small fire department in our community. I can relate to all the comments, both positive and negative. The service provided is a reflection of leadership within the department. Our district has a budget of less than $400,000.00 per year. We try to have at least two people at the fire station all the time. Last year we responded to over 620 calls, most of which were medical emergencies and motor vehicle accidents. One day we had eight calls, the previous record was six. We do wellness checks and remove rattlesnakes. We dont get cats down out of trees because we don't have a shotgun. Interstate 10 goes through our district so a lot of the motor vehicle accidents are high speed with serious injuries. A lot of elderly people in our district. Occasionally we have a brush fire and seldom have a structure fire. Calling it a fire department is a misnomer. We consider ourselves a service provider and have mutual aid agreements with all the surrounding communities. On the other hand, sometimes it is challenging trying to maintain a certain level of professionalism.
Recently we have seen an increase in assists at domestic disturbance calls. Our guys standby while LE resolves the situation in case there are injuries. A sign of the times or unintended consequences of the China flu?
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

And they’re expensive.

Dead paupers likely

That and pretentiousness.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
When I moved to this locale, I was talked into being a trustee on the board for our local VFD. Did it a couple years and bowed out. They needed a warm body that was neutral, as they were recovering from a royal shidtshow involving a criminal chief embezzling funds and misusing equipment etc. it’s all politic beyond that, what we pay in taxes for our vfd is pretty ridiculous.

That being said, I’ll say not one negative thing about the guys that step up to volunteer for it. They all have real jobs and families, yet still take on the extra duty to serve the community. My hat is off to them.

You always get duped into the dumbest schit.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Youre not a hero unless you help roll the hoses up.

Director of our EMA told me that chit. 🤣

LOL
Just got in from another call. This time it was a house trailer fire about a mile from the house that burned yesterday. This time, we did put the fire out, but the trailer was a total loss.

I read where someone had a budget of around $400,000..... we have a budget of less than $50,000. I also read about the political BS that some have to go thru. Our district is structured so that the board is made up of vol. firefighters, so we don't have to put up with that kind of stuff.

I saw where Mark's company responded to over 620 calls, we had 104 last year. The majority of ours are EMS. We have about a dozen trained first responders and 4 nurses in our dept. Structure fires, vehicle wrecks, forest fires, trees across roads, and directing traffic when the roads are blocked for any other reason, make up the rest of our calls.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21

One of the dick head cops immediately approached the homeowner and asked what happened. I guess he couldn't see the Smokey Joe smoldering on top of what was the fire. I assumed the guy put it out there the previous evening thinking it was fully extinguished. And the heat of the day brought it back to speed.

i hope you informed him that had he been using a BGE, you would not have had to risk life and limb to save his schitty house

#cheapsmokerskill
He seemed stressed enough.

LOL
Just got in from another call. This time it was a house trailer fire about a mile from the house that burned yesterday. This time, we did put the fire out, but the trailer was a total loss.

I read where someone had a budget of around $400,000..... we have a budget of less than $50,000. I also read about the political BS that some have to go thru. Our district is structured so that the board is made up of vol. firefighters, so we don't have to put up with that kind of stuff.

I saw where Mark's company responded to over 620 calls, we had 104 last year. The majority of ours are EMS. We have about a dozen trained first responders and 4 nurses in our dept. Structure fires, vehicle wrecks, forest fires, trees across roads, and directing traffic when the roads are blocked for any other reason, make up the rest of our calls.

A budget of less than $50K tells me your locale does not need a fire department.

Voluntary or otherwise.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
J-O Handy, you wouldn't be paying for your fire protection in my town. No fire district=no fire tax. We own our building. We own the trucks and equipment. All paid for by donations, community activities, State grants and an "allowance" from the township that pays our electric bill and insurance, and not much else. And decades of frugality and wise investments.

For years, we went door-to-door, asking for donations. People in their McMansions with luxury cars in the driveway would either not come to the door at all (turn down the tv and close the blinds), or greet us at the door with a pocketful of change and an attitude. Same people who complain about the noise siren.

Meanwhile, on the poor side of town, someone in a run-down shack would hand us a $50 bill, and we'd feel embarrassed to accept it, and humbled by their generosity.

We do our annual fund drive now through mailings. Just not enough manpower available to go knocking on doors day after day. The mail-ins don't generate as much money, though. It's easier to ignore an envelope than a 60,000 lb. red truck in the driveway.

But when we get called out, we make no distinction between the two. They're all neighbors in need of our help. 24/7.
Originally Posted by JeffyD
J-O Handy, you wouldn't be paying for your fire protection in my town. No fire district=no fire tax. We own our building. We own the trucks and equipment. All paid for by donations, community activities, State grants and an "allowance" from the township that pays our electric bill and insurance, and not much else. And decades of frugality and wise investments.

For years, we went door-to-door, asking for donations. People in their McMansions with luxury cars in the driveway would either not come to the door at all (turn down the tv and close the blinds), or greet us at the door with a pocketful of change and an attitude. Same people who complain about the noise siren.

Meanwhile, on the poor side of town, someone in a run-down shack would hand us a $50 bill, and we'd feel embarrassed to accept it, and humbled by their generosity.

We do our annual fund drive now through mailings. Just not enough manpower available to go knocking on doors day after day. The mail-ins don't generate as much money, though. It's easier to ignore an envelope than a 60,000 lb. red truck in the driveway.

But when we get called out, we make no distinction between the two. They're all neighbors in need of our help. 24/7.

Congratulations?

You figured out rich folks didn't get rich by giving away money.

Ps where do you think "state grant money" comes from? The magic money place or taxes?

A budget of less than $50K tells me your locale does not need a fire department.

Voluntary or otherwise.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Why did you vote for Biden?

Hahaha! Your dumbass probably had to have a fancy home to go along with all the other fancy dumbassess.

Sorry Charlie.

I don't live in the trailerhood, but I also don't live in a "fancy" home.

Sorry to let you down Jim.

Sorry Charlie.

I don't live in the trailerhood, but I also don't live in a "fancy" home.

Sorry to let you down Jim.

Oh sure. All your matching synthetic Kuiu gear is hung up in a fancy revolving closet like the other douche flutes in your subdivision.

Floors glued together to save costs and a Denali in the garage....next to your Nordic Trac.

Get a sprinkler system genius.
Like an indoor or lawn sprinkler? I don't need the lawn one, as I'm too cheap to waste water like that.

Nordic trac's were pretty cool back in the day. Don't hate on kuiu, those attack pants are great....but that's all I can afford.

Psssh Denali? I wouldn't be caught dead in a domestic let alone a GM lol, Toyota guy here.

Voluntary or otherwise.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Why did you vote for Biden?

I never voted for Biden.
It is of little concern to me that you and your wife decided to burn your petroleum filled, paper mache constructed home to the ground after watching an HGTV segment on turkey fryers.

I will do what I can when I get there.

If maybe you weren't such non conformist.....like all your neighbors in the subdivision....and lived near municipal water and a good hydrant system....well there might have been a chance.

We will most likely hit it hard from the yard first....then transition into interior attack if at all possible.

If not....we will most likely try and save your neighbors property from your dumb azz.

Voluntary or otherwise.

Hahaha!

Big city!
Training is the biggest issue around here. Most volunteer depts and firefighters don't have the time or funds for training. We were lucky to have state cert instructors on the dept. We had a few guys move and get right on a paid dept with the training we provided. The fire don't care if you are vol or paid. It will kill you either way.
It is of little concern to me that you and your wife decided to burn your petroleum filled, paper mache constructed home to the ground after watching an HGTV segment on turkey fryers.

I will do what I can when I get there.

If maybe you weren't such non conformist.....like all your neighbors in the subdivision....and lived near municipal water and a good hydrant system....well there might have been a chance.

We will most likely hit it hard from the yard first....then transition into interior attack if at all possible.

If not....we will most likely try and save your neighbors property from your dumb azz.

Thanks?
Its my job.

Mostly protecting your neighbors from your bad decisions.
Originally Posted by Krazi
Training is the biggest issue around here. Most volunteer depts and firefighters don't have the time or funds for training. We were lucky to have state cert instructors on the dept. We had a few guys move and get right on a paid dept with the training we provided. The fire don't care if you are vol or paid. It will kill you either way.

We take a lot of classes thru LSU. Just about every month we have some kind of classroom training and none of it is free. One thing we do is get pkg deals, one fee for x number of trainees, and several districts will come together for training.
Its my job.

Like? Not sucking the Fire depts d ick?
I will say however....firefighters and firefighter groups take themselves way too seriously.

For instance....Montana apparently just legalized bottle rockets and other cool schit.

Previously...you has to go to the rez for bottle rockets. Now we will be able to buy them anywhere.

The Chiefs assn was up in arms and lobbied hard to stop it.

They also hate gun ranges, exploding targets and everything else that is fun.

Most of these govt types would see shooting outlawed on Public land.

Dill rods all of em.

Why are they against bottle rockets?

Might start fires.

Well....what do we have a fire department for then?
Its my job.

I am not sure why you would suck any dicks.....let alone the Fire Department's.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
Originally Posted by Krazi
Training is the biggest issue around here. Most volunteer depts and firefighters don't have the time or funds for training.

That's a big issue. NJ State mandated Firefighter 1 training (the minimum training requirement) is a three month course, two nights per week and Saturdays. That's a huge commitment for a working man or woman with a family. Not many people are able or willing to make that kind of sacrifice for a non-paying job.
I will say however....firefighters and firefighter groups take themselves way too seriously.

For instance....Montana apparently just legalized bottle rockets and other cool schit.

Previously...you has to go to the rez for bottle rockets. Now we will be able to buy them anywhere.

The Chiefs assn was up in arms and lobbied hard to stop it.

They also hate gun ranges, exploding targets and everything else that is fun.

Most of these govt types would see shooting outlawed on Public land.

Dill rods all of em.

Why are they against bottle rockets?

Might start fires.

Well....what do we have a fire department for then?

Jim, yall got some strange Chiefs up there. Down here, all that stuff is the norm.
Its my job.

Apparently firefighters only service those that service them....at least that's the way you make it sound. Maybe I'm wrong.

Here's some great Firefighter stories lol

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...g-3-grass-fires-in-western-wisconsin.amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/fire-chief-convicted-attempted-arson-pyromaniac/story%3fid=23453574

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...na-volunteer-firefighters-arson.amp.html
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21

There must be a story to this we haven't heard.

kwg
Fun fact of the day. Per the Bozeangeles fire dept's own statistics in 2018 and 2019 FIRES represented 2%.......I repeat 2% of there calls for service.

Lol I would bet the national avg is around 2-3%. But then again, who else would install car seats if not for the fire dept. Lol
I think when I got off in 2009 we had prolly 20 out of 35 guys FF 1 and FF2. Pumper and areal certified. Couldn't drive a truck if you weren't. It was a lot of work. Met 4 nights a month and some Saturdays for class. Our town is ten thousand and all volunteer. I don't think there are a lot around like that anymore.
Its my job.

Apparently firefighters only service those that service them....at least that's the way you make it sound. Maybe I'm wrong.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/fire-chief-convicted-attempted-arson-pyromaniac/story%3fid=23453574

Yes. You would be wrong.

Its a pattern with you.
Its my job.

Yes. You would be wrong.

Its a pattern with you.

Thank you for the insight. Why so grumpy today? Run out of malt liquor?
Me?

Hahaha! Yeah......show us where the fireman touched you Jackie.
Its my job.

Yes. You would be wrong.

Its a pattern with you.

Jim drinks Jim Beam
Me?

Why do you think one touched me? I'm just having a little fun. I suppose joking around on 'the fire is a no-no....
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer

What does the number of structure fires have to do with how good or bad a volunteer fire department is? Our local VFD has an ISO rating of 3. Saves us a bunch on everyone’s home owners insurance.

Obviously you have never had to extract someone from a vehicle with them screaming in your ear.

Or the day we rolled up on an accident only to find out it was the 18 year old son of one of our firefighters. Yeah that’s a lot of fun. Not everyday you get to break the news to one of your brothers that they just lost their only son.

Over the years I have seen things that cannot be unseen. All the while earning zero in compensation.

Jackson Handy you are an [bleep] or an arsonist. Or both. I have found that most folks that talk [bleep] about fire departments typically do so because they take the fun away.

That happened to a friend of ours. As they were rolling out they had to stop, a responder who was on scene called and it said it was our friends kid that was killed.
Its my job.

Yes. You would be wrong.

Its a pattern with you.

Jim drinks Jim Beam

I am about to dispatch my wife for another bottle.

After her church meeting she will buy me some whiskey.
Me?

Why do you think one touched me? I'm just having a little fun. I suppose joking around on 'the fire is a no-no....

Ja.

Verboten.
I can add this, fella we had working on a house framing crew, his wife was in the VFD. He claimed he was too, had the stickers on his jeep, never ever left us in several weeks to work a wreck or fire call or kitty cat in a tree.

Anyway, his ole lady was screwing every dude down at the fire hall. They would hang out down there for a ‘3rd shift’ play cards and bang away while he was at Trane Co working nights. I think I found out before he did, lol. One of our other guys on the job brought it up and it was quite a surprise to him when it slipped out after he got to mouthin off about something unrelated.

Turn out to be true, then ole girl got cervical cancer and died a couple years later. They must have been hammerin the far outta that muffin.
The smell of smoke and BO makes some women all antsy in thier pantsy.
The smell of smoke and BO makes some women all antsy in thier pantsy.

Lol

I know that’s right. I was firing and tending a smokehouse for 3 days, had about 30 2-lb socks of pork sausage hanging.

Had a doctor appt mid morning of the 3 rd day. Wore my ratty Jon Tester carhartt jacket in there. Them nursing gals was telling me “ahhhhh what is that smell, it smells soooo good” I told em they were smelling my sausage. lol
Posted By: 79S Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/20/21
I was visiting a friend in Texas a year or so ago. Place was a total schit hole. Can't remember the name of the place but it wasn't far from Dallas. Southeast of there.

Anyway, we saw a decent fire as we were pulling out of his subdivision and after hauling ass around two blocks so we could access the property, I ran up to the house and pounded on the door. Guy answers and I tell him that all his cord wood is blazing right next to his garage and asked where the hose was. My buddy was on the phone with 911 and giving the address.

He tells me where the hose was and luckily for him, he had about 150yds of garden hose attached to this fugking reel. I sprinted out to the street while telling him to turn it on. Then I ran back to the house with hose in hand (that's what she said).

No nozzle so I had to do the thumb over the dick hole technique. Charged in and holy fugking schit it was hot but I was able to get a lot of water onto the structure and hit the main fire pretty well. Homeowners standing there yelling "OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!" I ask him if there's another hose and his eyes light up and he runs away. Turns out there was and it was on the backside of this now considerably large and hot fire.

The wife is standing there in the driveway (a big driveway) and my buddy tells her to get their vehicles out into the street.

She somewhat accomplishes that while the fire is getting hit by both sides. The smoke got too thick once the fire was mostly under control and I handed the hose off to my buddy while I walked to the street and hacked for a while. In between coughs I would blurt out "OH MY GOD!" and my friend would bust up laughing and have to walk out of the smoke.

Went around back and told the homeowner that I hope he had a log splitter because all his BBQ wood is gone, gone, gone. He was on the verge of tears and I just patted him on the back and told him to relax, no harm no foul.

About this time the fire department rolled up and three guys in full bunker gear walk past (oxygen and masks included) and I made my smart ass comments about heroes, thank you for your service, blah, blah, blah. One of the dick head cops immediately approached the homeowner and asked what happened. I guess he couldn't see the Smokey Joe smoldering on top of what was the fire. I assumed the guy put it out there the previous evening thinking it was fully extinguished. And the heat of the day brought it back to speed.

There was a big post about the "anonymous heroes" on the local Facebooks that night. As we got uproariously drunk we kept calling each other a "hero" for the rest of the evening. And morning.

This sounds eerily like a duck911 story..
Originally Posted by 79S

Did he mention that his buddy was Red Adair?
Posted By: deflave Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/21/21
Originally Posted by 79S

Flave stories need no embellishing.

After "saving lives" we went to Twin Peaks.

A black waitress that sounded exactly like what you would expect a young ghetto black waitress to sound like asked what we were drinking. And promptly followed up with "Ya'll been BBQ'ing this mornin?"

My friend relayed the whole story and told her that we were heroes. She rolled her eyes as only a black chick can and replied "I ain't even tryin' to hear all dat."

LOL
Posted By: deflave Re: Volunteer Fire Dept. - 02/21/21
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer

That happened to a friend of ours. As they were rolling out they had to stop, a responder who was on scene called and it said it was our friends kid that was killed.

A fire house isn't a fire house unless it has at least one story involving a "brother" responding to his own dead kid's 911 call.
© 24hourcampfire