Home
Posted By: 5sdad Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21

Many here probably remember him, but are unaware that he had two daughters: Anna 1, Anna 2.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by 5sdad
... he had two daughters: Anna 1, Anna 2.

I'm here all night folks, try the veal and tip the waitress!!!
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
In all seriousness though, the mention of Lawrence Welk brings back memories of when America was a better place. A time before everything on TV was 99% gay and interracial couples. I remember my folks tuning into The Lawrence Welk Show when I was a kid, I'm 52 now. If I'd known enough I might have thought it was corny, but I sure wish we had a lot more of that now than what currently occupies the airways. The America that Lawrence Welk inhabited is long gone.
Posted By: mike7mm08 Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Only Welk performance I am familiar with. Funny as hell when you think of the typical Welk audience.

Posted By: hanco Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
I didn’t know that, had to watch his show growing up. It took ten years off my life.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
It's one of those shows that is so hokey bad I just cant bring myself to change the channel..........like not being able to let go of an electric fence........

Cowboy chorus in yellow outfits with that one black guy on the end that can tap dance kinda bad....
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Pretty clever there 5sdad smile!
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
It was required viewing every Saturday nite at my grandmother’s house when visiting. I’ve seen every show. His absolute funniest show was the one where he dances with a girl from the audience and her wig flies off. Hilarious and well worth looking this gem up on YouTube.
Posted By: viking Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
My old man still watches it, pbs reruns I think.
Actually I just remembered he was from ND.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
My grandfather loved Lawrence Welk and had to watch him every Saturday night. I have to admit that the Lennon sisters were very easy on the eyes.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
that was wonnerful wonnerful

actually i hated that show. when i saw those bubbles, i knew it was an hour of hell. same when the billy graham show or whatever it was would come on tv. not a lot of choice in those days.
For many of us....

Lawrence Welk and alcohol dont mix
For many of us....

Lawrence Welk and alcohol dont mix
Whenever they planned the dance floor during a big band instrumental, all of a sudden the Lawrence Welk show became the muppet show.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
I absolutely hated that show and my mother loved it and she would play records during the day of some kind of music with no words. Also we had to watch the Academy Awards.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
My aunt and uncle lived upstairs at my grandfathers house and anytime we stayed over we had to watch Lawrence Welk. Can’t say I was a fan.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
the old lady was watching it a couple of days ago.
Posted By: Dess Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Sunday was Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom. It was followed by Disney.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
It was on at my Grandma’s house all the time. The big band theme was part of her generation. I didn’t care for it much at the time, but the classy era of Lawerence Welk shames where we find ourselves today.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by Dess
Sunday was Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom. It was followed by Disney.

Yep, and it was always a mad rush to get my bath done after supper and before Wild Kingdom started.
Posted By: hatari Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21

Many here probably remember him, but are unaware that he had two daughters: Anna 1, Anna 2.

(Groan!!!)

That one took me a moment. My grandparents used to watch him faithfully every Saturday evening Bubbles and polka music. Torture for us kids.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
He was a talented musician and a talented businessman. It has been the “cool” thing to make fun of anything middle class/white for decades, now. Folks need to quit “pizzing on the graves” of their forebears, whether it be polka/country/Welk music/whatever. Have some respect for some folks that were trying to entertain with at least a modicum of dignity and “class”, and actually had some talent to back it up. Back when the “adults” ran things....
Posted By: Folically_Challenged Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Paternal grandmother had a HUGE thing for Myron Floren. She was devout Catholic, but I'm fairly sure she lusted in her heart for that accordion dude.

For a month or 2, I wanted to be Henry Cuesta.

I got over it.

FC
Posted By: ledvm Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Grandparents on Mom’s side never missed it. Had to endure when there.

But...it was definitely a marker of a better time. Wish it were on today...would mean things are better.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Grandparents never missed it...we kids couldn't stand it of course.

Agree with the others though, it was a better time.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
In this same vein:

Molly B or Cardi B?

Discuss.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Yep. My grandparents never missed an episode.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
I have watched many a Lawrence Welk show. My mom and dad loved that show. It didn't think it was a bad show. I enjoyed it. It certainly was a different time in America. We also watched Hee Haw as well. That was probably my dad's favorite TV show.

kwg
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Welk, who paid the minimum union scale to his cast. "We worked at group scale, which was $110 a week, for 10 years," Kathy Lennon recalled. "After that he agreed to pay us solo scale, $210 a week.May 19, 1992

And he was cheap with the lighting too.... looked like an American soap opera or a Brit series.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
I loved LW as a 6yr old in 1970.
Totally awesome show.
Always looked forward to seeing it.

LOL!!!!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
It’s good for zoning-out and crapping your pants.

Or for torturing Manuel Noriega
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
My parents and grandmother drug me to Abilene to see him when I was a kid.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Yeah - funny recall - and a bunch of other idiosyncrasies. I was working on big band jazz at the time and watched him quite a bit for a while - even though I thought the arrangements were very "square" - because the players in that band were excellent musicians. I remember cracking up when he introduced a tune "Now we are going to play that great Duke Ellington piece - Take A Train." Thanks for the thread.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
One of the instruments of torture my parents subjected me to as a young boy was the phenomenon known as the variety show.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
It was awful. Worse even than the Barbara Mandrel show....
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
My parents and grandmother drug me to Abilene to see him when I was a kid.

Better than Aerosmith in Augusta Maine I bet in 78.
LW probably didnt pass the fugg out on stage after the 3rd song like ST did..

LOL!!!
Posted By: johnw Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
In all seriousness though, the mention of Lawrence Welk brings back memories of when America was a better place. A time before everything on TV was 99% gay and interracial couples. I remember my folks tuning into The Lawrence Welk Show when I was a kid, I'm 52 now. If I'd known enough I might have thought it was corny, but I sure wish we had a lot more of that now than what currently occupies the airways. The America that Lawrence Welk inhabited is long gone.

I always believed, and have heard repeatedly that Lawrence Welk was as queer as they come. But I believe that of almost everyone who appears on television. Seems to me that the entire TV industry is/was built by the queers.

And there were TV shows that I liked as a kid. But I think all of the TV heroes did some strange stuff to get their part in any show...

Rock stars much the same in my view...

Country stars too, maybe....
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Yep. My grandparents never missed an episode.

Mine didn't either.

My old grandad would say "I'll watch it til that tap dancing "n" comes on, then I'll go to bed."

He did too! He wouldn't watch it.

I imagine he would shoot the TV now, if he were still around to see what a chitshow it's become.
For as lame as it was/is, I got to admit it was a better time in the world.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
Only Welk performance I am familiar with. Funny as hell when you think of the typical Welk audience.

Funniest part is Welk calling it a "Spiritual".

Hey, it did contain the words "Sweet Jesus".
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by MadMooner
It was awful. Worse even than the Barbara Mandrel show....

If she had done her show nekkid you'd be howling at the moon over her.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by hatari

(Groan!!!)

That one took me a moment. My grandparents used to watch him faithfully every Saturday evening Bubbles and polka music. Torture for us kids.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: atomchaser Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Always hated the show as a kid. My grandmother always insisted on watching it when she babysat.
Had two choices with Nana

when Guiding Light came you had to go outside play with the ants or take a nap

But just STFU

hard to sleep all hopped up on red Kool-Aid, rainy days you were screwed.

Whatever you do, don’t pet the dog. He’ll hump your leg with a fury.
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Music like this is why I watched it along with my folks:

Posted By: wabigoon Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Whew...

I thought this was going to be another Jimmy Olson scoop that Lawrence Welk had passed away.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

You ever do the elephant walk in college? lol
Posted By: Seafire Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by viking
Actually I just remembered he was from ND.

Hey, I've passed thru his home town in the Southern part of Norda Koda... right near the Souda Koda state line... many times...

and then near Temecula CA, south of I 15, on old US 395, there is still an entire Retirement Village founded by Lawrence Welk, for all his faithful fans...
The town is named for Whatever "Golden Valley" is in Spanish/ Mexican....

Anyone remember "Sing Along with Mitch Miller".... another one of those time period shows, we'd sit and watch with our folks on prime time..
When in even large metro areas, you had like 3 channels available on the TV....

I miss those 'simpler" times.... when we put communism into perspective....

heck, I still even miss the good old Family 56 Chevy.....
Posted By: superlight17b Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
I watched it at my grandparents house,my grandfather called L..W. ,"THAT ANNOYING BASTARD!" On sundays we all watched Mutual Of Omaha s Wild Kingdom,and Disney.I remember Nation Geographic specials,and Jaques Cousteau ones too.i still remember watching ,Cannon,Banacheck,Mannix
with my grandfather,but not,Barnaby Jones,"If that mumbling old bastard s a detective ,i m a cotton picker!" T.V. was very different in those days.
Originally Posted by slumlord

You ever do the elephant walk in college? lol

Want to see a one-eared elephant?
I can't find Buffalo Gals. That was great!
Welk's band played here, the old Cobblestone.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Welk's band played here, the old Cobblestone.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Still wondering how they ever came up with that name. grin

Actually, since we always just called it "The Cob", I thought that it should have been faced more along the lines of the Corn Palace in Mitchell.
Bet the Radon levels in there are off the meter.
Cobblestone walls, John, my first reelection of the place is being stuck in the huge parking lot. That's all trees now.

They must have torn off the top floor. Living quarters, and the Circus lounge.
Richard, I actually had that figured out.
Richard, I actually had that figured out. smile
Some good times back then! opps! did I jack the thread? blush
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Did Welk vote for Biden?

Anyone know?

And how many times?
Posted By: kingston Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21

Nana, is that you?
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21

I'm 70, and of course it's very easy to say that the America of the Lawrence Welk era was a better place, especially when it comes to the fact that queers, trannies, Negroes, and Communists weren't being thrown in our faces every day. It was a time when the crime rate was very low, especially in the rural area I grew up in. But, there is also a flip side, and today's quality of life is much better, people are receiving much better medical care now, and there are many things about the current time period we're living in that I wouldn't want to give up.

However, as a whole, the America of the 1960's was a time period that I could very easy live in again if it were possible.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by JamesJr
- - - - However, as a whole, the America of the 1960's was a time period that I could very easy live in again if it were possible.

I agree, and second the idea.
Originally Posted by horse1
In this same vein:

Molly B or Cardi B?

Discuss.

Molly B is a certified looker...
Posted By: rong Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Tank you,tank you ,tank you !!

And bubbles lol
Posted By: hookeye Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Larry W Elk.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by horse1
In this same vein:

Molly B or Cardi B?

Discuss.

Molly B is a certified looker...

100% agree. For those who need a little help, Molly B is the singer/trumpet/tenor-Saxopohone/keyboard player in the VFW re-opening/Polka scene of Clint Eastwood's "The Mule".

Kardi B is the "artist" responsible for "WAP".
Posted By: 222ND Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
My Great grandpa went to school with Lawrence Welk in Strasburg ND till 3rdgrade.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by 222ND
My Great grandpa went to school with Lawrence Welk in Strasburg ND till 3rdgrade.

I read his wiki page, pretty interesting. Born in 1903 to homesteaders. Quit school after grade 4 to help work the farm. Couldn't speak English at all until he was 21, he spoke German and never became comfortable speaking English. Left the farm at 21 and worked his way to the top.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Lawrence Welk - 02/22/21
And then along came the tap dancer....
My parents always felt sorry for Jo Ann the piano player because she had a special needs child.
Here’s the hair flying off. So funny.

https://youtu.be/juFhqO9A69E

Sometimes the spoof is more real that what is being spoofed.

© 24hourcampfire