Home
Posted By: EthanEdwards Miami Vice - 02/22/21
Posted By: antlers Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
They’ve been kickin’ this around for several years now. I don’t know of anything that’s come to fruition yet regarding it though.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
I loved the old MV series... Especially the one that had Willie Nelson on as a retired TX Ranger looking to avenge the death of his son from a druggie.. I have the whole series - just have to find time to watch 'em all... smile
Posted By: eric1186 Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
I believe the video is a fan made one, nicely done though. The episode with WN is El Viejo. Ironically enough, I’m sitting on the couch watching season 2 right now.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
We gunna see a Bren Ten on the set?

Or will they [bleep] it up an use a Glock
Posted By: slumlord Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
Today is my dad’d birthday

I will surprise him with this

Wonder if that lieutenant with the cratered-out ‘pizza face’ will be on there.
Posted By: 79S Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by slumlord
Today is my dad’d birthday

I will surprise him with this

Wonder if that lieutenant with the cratered-out ‘pizza face’ will be on there.

Looks like fans of the show are putting these teasers together.
Posted By: deflave Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
Fugk yeah.

Don Johnson rules.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
Unless that black guy didn't age a single day, I'd say those were old clips.

Don Johnson still looks great though, he's one cool mofo.
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
Man I hope this comes to fruition. I loved Miami Vice back in the 80s. Best synthesis of pop music and action sequences to this day.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

His name is Tubbs.

You racist fugk.
Posted By: eric1186 Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21

The clips are from other movies and tv shows. There has been talk of a reboot for years though. The gals that play Gina and Trudy still look pretty good. My aunt and uncle went to high school with Edward James Olmos...
Originally Posted by deflave

His name is Tubbs.

You racist fugk.

🤣
Posted By: kingston Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21

I thought he was some sort of latino.
Posted By: kingston Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
That white Testarossa is gay as hell.
Posted By: 79S Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by deflave
Fugk yeah.

Don Johnson rules.

Posted By: horse1 Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by kingston
That white Testarossa is gay as hell.

I was just thinking, will that summbitch be all rusted out and beat to hell with Crocket @ "Rock Bottom" for the 1st episode? How big will Elvis the Alligator be now?
Both those guys are 71 now.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
Enjoyed the first run and will welcome V2.0. Had an off set encounter with Don years ago...he’s a funny dude.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Man I hope this comes to fruition. I loved Miami Vice back in the 80s. Best synthesis of pop music and action sequences to this day.

Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Enjoyed the first run and will welcome V2.0. Had an off set encounter with Don years ago...he’s a funny dude.
He's from around these parts. Had a reputation for being an asswhole. He was a guest on this old lady's local news show years ago in Joplin, MO. He was totally gentlemanly to her.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
If anyone likes sci-fi he starred in "A Boy and His Dog" back in he mid-70's. Based on a Harlan Ellison story, great movie with a really good ending...

[Linked Image from static.rogerebert.com]
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
Posted By: hanco Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
It was a good show, I liked it!
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by Redneck
I loved the old MV series... Especially the one that had Willie Nelson on as a retired TX Ranger looking to avenge the death of his son from a druggie.. I have the whole series - just have to find time to watch 'em all... smile

I remember that episode well......a Classic for sure especially the Colt Peacemaker carried by Willie Nelson.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
If anyone likes sci-fi he starred in "A Boy and His Dog" back in he mid-70's. Based on a Harlan Ellison story, great movie with a really good ending...

I took my girlfriend to see that when we were in college.

She married me anyway.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
Here all this time I thought Digital Dan was Crockett
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21

Oh yeah, a truly excellent film!
I love Johnson in Tin Cup:

Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
Will Izod shirts, mullets and Sperry Topsiders make it in 2021?

🦫
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
most of the show was filmed in Miami when I was living there in the mid eighties. My restaurant, out on Kendall Ave, was a hangout for much of the crew. I met all of them, had drinks, swapped some girlfriends and stories. Most of the cast were good people.
Originally Posted by TheKid
Here all this time I thought Digital Dan was Crockett

[Linked Image from memegenerator.net]
Posted By: 16bore Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
The opening credits have to stay the same!
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
We all dug Miami Vice, but were really envious, 'cause "Houston Vice" was more like watching Blackhawk Down .
Posted By: saddlering Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
Frank Zappa, was on one, called Coke Weasel Dust!
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by saddlering
Frank Zappa, was on one, called Coke Weasel Dust!

That’s racist, if the weasel was black/brown

🦫
Posted By: Western_Juniper Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
Miami Vice overly-dramatized minor acts that were part of a bigger play that the show ignored, insomuch as it was intended to reflect the Miami culture in the 70's and early 80's. Miami was transformed by the Medellín Cartel of which the key players were Jorge Ochoa (not Pablo Escobar) in Columbia and Griselda Blanco in Miami. There were innumerable smugglers, but they were all either working for those two or trying to rip them off. The TV show makes it seem as though there was a whole panorama of drug-related crime without any unifying factor, but in fact it was driven almost entirely by one operation. Obviously the show is fictional and did not portend to be a documentary, but it still influenced a lot of American's understanding of what Miami was like while keeping them ignorant of some important facts. One of those facts is that the United State Government was for a long time content to look the other way. The Federal agencies that were primarily responsible, the DEA, what is now called CBP, and the Coast Guard were doing nothing at all about the massive amounts of cocaine coming into Miami. It was having the effect of multi-billion dollar stimulus on the city and there was no apparent reason to intervene because it appeared that everyone was benefiting. That was until Griselda Blanco began a violent murder spree. If that woman wasn't psychotic, she certainly had no regard for human life whatsoever. She was ordering hits one after another in a near continuous string, most of which were carried out without regard for collateral damage. It was only her reckless disregard for peace and human life that forced the US Government to intervene.

If the US Government was standing idly by as a stream of billions of ~1980 USD (about 4X the value of 2021 USD) was flowing to Columbia, you can bet they had some intention. Maybe to fund a war against FARC or maybe they would repatriate it as payment for Venezuelan debt. If Blanco forced them to crack down, it's amazing how she got away with it. How she got off the hook was a stunning story.
Right? In reality, I drove a '75 Firebird that somebody had stolen the T-tops from and the passenger door wouldn't secure unless it was locked. I had to put a tarp over it at night.

Fun times for a young man. Oh...I finally got a bag phone too. Then a "brick"!
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
That show sure made the mid-1980's a cool time to be a cop, even a small town one. Oh, man, was I wishing I could swap my S&W 586 for a Bren 10, but no doing!
Posted By: ringworm Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
I got my 4506 ready.....
Posted By: TheKid Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by JeffyD
That show sure made the mid-1980's a cool time to be a cop, even a small town one. Oh, man, was I wishing I could swap my S&W 586 for a Bren 10, but no doing!

At least the S&W worked!

I knew a guy who had a BrenTen with the box, extra mags, etc. he sold it for a pretty penny to, as he put it, “ some Miami Vice nerd”.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
Sonny's Model 645 was replaced with the new Smith & Wesson Model 4506, also chambered in .45 ACP. Sonny's 4506 can be seen in the beginning of the episode "Victim of Circumstance" when he is sitting in a cafe, looking at it.
That little Mdl 37 was what turned me on...but I was always the shotgun man.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Miami Vice - 02/22/21
I got my hands on a Bren 10 when they came out, except they were not shipping magazines with them. Tried for about 6 months to get a mag and never got it done. Found some guy that thought is was cool and sold it to him and bought 2 deltas.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21
Michael Mann had some good advisers on the crew. There was some good gun stuff here and there on the show. This draw from concealment was the real deal, smoking fast.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fXv8IepBVJQ
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21
Originally Posted by MOGC
Michael Mann had some good advisers on the crew. There was some good gun stuff here and there on the show. This draw from concealment was the real deal, smoking fast.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fXv8IepBVJQ

They would get DNA off those gloves today.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21
Back then when the actors would just dump a mag and not hunt it up afterwards, Bren Ten guys would descend on the area looking for the mags.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
Miami Vice overly-dramatized minor acts that were part of a bigger play that the show ignored, insomuch as it was intended to reflect the Miami culture in the 70's and early 80's. Miami was transformed by the Medellín Cartel of which the key players were Jorge Ochoa (not Pablo Escobar) in Columbia and Griselda Blanco in Miami. There were innumerable smugglers, but they were all either working for those two or trying to rip them off. The TV show makes it seem as though there was a whole panorama of drug-related crime without any unifying factor, but in fact it was driven almost entirely by one operation. Obviously the show is fictional and did not portend to be a documentary, but it still influenced a lot of American's understanding of what Miami was like while keeping them ignorant of some important facts. One of those facts is that the United State Government was for a long time content to look the other way. The Federal agencies that were primarily responsible, the DEA, what is now called CBP, and the Coast Guard were doing nothing at all about the massive amounts of cocaine coming into Miami. It was having the effect of multi-billion dollar stimulus on the city and there was no apparent reason to intervene because it appeared that everyone was benefiting. That was until Griselda Blanco began a violent murder spree. If that woman wasn't psychotic, she certainly had no regard for human life whatsoever. She was ordering hits one after another in a near continuous string, most of which were carried out without regard for collateral damage. It was only her reckless disregard for peace and human life that forced the US Government to intervene.

If the US Government was standing idly by as a stream of billions of ~1980 USD (about 4X the value of 2021 USD) was flowing to Columbia, you can bet they had some intention. Maybe to fund a war against FARC or maybe they would repatriate it as payment for Venezuelan debt. If Blanco forced them to crack down, it's amazing how she got away with it. How she got off the hook was a stunning story.

That's some interesting history.
I heard that violent crime was very high at that time .
Maybe that Griselda gal was why?
Posted By: antlers Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21
Read about her. She was hardcore man. Violent, mean bitch. Her youngest son was named Michael Corleone Blanco. For real.

lol
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Wow Ethan,

How often does a classic series end up on the big screen or comeback series with the original cast after all those years? That's amazing.

If you think about it, remind me when you hear of it's release. I have family that went into law enforcement because of this series. I warned them ahead of time that it's not really glamorous and I doubt they'll be issued a cigar boat for commute. Lol.
Originally Posted by antlers
Read about her. She was hardcore man. Violent, mean bitch. Her youngest son was named Michael Corleone Blanco. For real.

lol

Corleone?
That sounds familiar....
Wasn't that the king pin on the old Miami vice series, or am I thinking the Godfather?
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21
Miami Vice was just a little before my time but I remember the craze well. I had the Don Johnson spiked haircut and really dug the intro with the uptempo music and quick cut scenes. Especially the woman in bikinis.
Posted By: antlers Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21
Michael Corleone was the youngest son in The Godfather.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21
I lived in key largo in 1992-1993ish. Smuggling was part of the pop culture. LEO was in cars, planes, boats, etc... you couldn’t go 5 miles on US1 without seeing blue lights. You could buy “seaweed” for $20/quarter. Scheit that hit the water not sealed tight and took on seawater. People chopping out lines on the bar at the Caribbean club, go fast boats docked up with rumbling motors shaking the windows at plantation yacht harbor marina where I worked. My roommate got stabbed in the parking lot of the paradise pub for hustling some Haitians playing pool.
Had a guy that used to come in and slap $100 bills in all our palms for anything we did. S.Florida in the early 90’s was the wild, Wild West.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21
It wasn't sexy here.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21
Although it wasn't a big part, Don Johnson was great in a recent movie with Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn called Dragged Across Concrete.

Posted By: local_dirt Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I lived in key largo in 1992-1993ish. Smuggling was part of the pop culture. LEO was in cars, planes, boats, etc... you couldn’t go 5 miles on US1 without seeing blue lights. You could buy “seaweed” for $20/quarter. Scheit that hit the water not sealed tight and took on seawater. People chopping out lines on the bar at the Caribbean club, go fast boats docked up with rumbling motors shaking the windows at plantation yacht harbor marina where I worked. My roommate got stabbed in the parking lot of the paradise pub for hustling some Haitians playing pool.
Had a guy that used to come in and slap $100 bills in all our palms for anything we did. S.Florida in the early 90’s was the wild, Wild West.

Should have been here in the 70's.
Posted By: GAGoober Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21
“Out Where the Buses Don't Run” was my favorite episode. Last scene was as good as it gets.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21
In the M.V. clip where Jim Zubiena draws so quickly and shoots the guy who has a gun pointed at him, Jim was that fast. I knew him then and he was a Master in the old Southwest Pistol League shooting IPSC in Los Angeles. I sure as hell was not as fast as Jim. Aside from acting, Jim also worked at B&B Gun Sales in North Hollywood. His wife was also a shooter.

Michael Mann was a shooter and attended Jeff Cooper's Gunsite School in Arizona. He was at Gunsite before I attended in April of 1981. I thought M.V. was a pretty good show, although I never pitched any stories to Mann. I knew absolutely nothing about Miami.

Johnson is 71 now.

L.W.
Posted By: Henryseale Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21
WOW. Loved Miami Vice! It was the most uber cool cop show ever! I have always wondered about the name of and the composer of the final song of the series. A great song and this final episode and scene was the only time I have ever heard it. It is not listed on the credits. Anyone know where to find it? Crocket says to Tubbs when asked where he is going: "somewhere where the water is warm and the drinks are cold". He ends up as Nash Bridges in San Francisco co-staring with Cheech.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21

"Benji, I know you're old and sore, but for old time's sake I beg of you, one last time: grab kilo bird, run like the wind, bury when no one's looking and mark spot then play dumb. I'm counting on you, pal!"
Posted By: joken2 Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21

Wife's step-brother was a CSI in Dade County back during the "Miami Vice" drug period. He said real life it was a blood and guts gruesome time to be a CSI -- babies, kIds, women, elderly, innocent, guilty... didn't matter and it wasn't always via gunplay as typically portrayed on TV and in movies, either.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21

His best work was Kenny Powers dad in East Bound and Down.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21
I enjoyed the heck out of that series and I also have the entire series on DVD. We played against three softball teams during that timeframe in the Fraser Valley that all had matching mullets! Cracked me up!
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21
Originally Posted by ltppowell
We all dug Miami Vice, but were really envious, 'cause "Houston Vice" was more like watching Blackhawk Down .

I chuckled out loud at that, Pat.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
In the M.V. clip where Jim Zubiena draws so quickly and shoots the guy who has a gun pointed at him, Jim was that fast. I knew him then and he was a Master in the old Southwest Pistol League shooting IPSC in Los Angeles. I sure as hell was not as fast as Jim. Aside from acting, Jim also worked at B&B Gun Sales in North Hollywood. His wife was also a shooter.

Michael Mann was a shooter and attended Jeff Cooper's Gunsite School in Arizona. He was at Gunsite before I attended in April of 1981. I thought M.V. was a pretty good show, although I never pitched any stories to Mann. I knew absolutely nothing about Miami.

Johnson is 71 now.

L.W.

Yes. That clip I posted has a lot of good gun handling going on there. And just blazing fast from concealment. Jeff Coopers Gunsite was THE place to train back in the day.
Posted By: Henryseale Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21
OK, that finally clears up something that has always puzzled me since the airing of the final episode. In that episode he is wearing a typical blue T-shirt under his trademark sport coat, but instead of being plain, it is a Kansas Jayhawker college football shirt. In the show, Sonny Crockett is supposed to be a former Florida State football star. I guess since he - Don Johnson, in real life, was originally from somewhere in eastern Kansas, he was wearing that as he was a fan and/or former student of Kansas?

I have also managed to track down the background music in the last episode of the series where Sonny is reminiscing the events of his and Rico's partnership, which was not shown in the credits. It was "Tell Me" by Terry Kath. For years I thought it was probably Ray Charles, but it didn't sound quite like Ray.

Well, it was a great show, but that was a lifetime ago and in many ways an end of an era. I did not know it then, but I now think it was a great time for life in this country. That is, overall speaking. I sure hope a remake is done again with as many of the original cast members as possible. Something for us old geezers to remember and talk about the days of our youth.
Posted By: tankerjockey Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21
I was a huge fan of the show and would watch again if it had some of the original cast. I don’t care too much for the remakes where they put in new people as the same characters. An example would be the current Magnum PI or Especially Magiver. Don’t care for that one at all.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21
Remember Tubbs doing the psychic hotline commercials before they ditched him for Ms Cleo?
Posted By: slumlord Re: Miami Vice - 02/23/21
Originally Posted by Henryseale
OK, that finally clears up something that has always puzzled me since the airing of the final episode. In that episode he is wearing a typical blue T-shirt under his trademark sport coat, but instead of being plain, it is a Kansas Jayhawker college football shirt. In the show, Sonny Crockett is supposed to be a former Florida State football star. I guess since he - Don Johnson, in real life, was originally from somewhere in eastern Kansas, he was wearing that as he was a fan and/or former student of Kansas?

I have also managed to track down the background music in the last episode of the series where Sonny is reminiscing the events of his and Rico's partnership, which was not shown in the credits. It was "Tell Me" by Terry Kath. For years I thought it was probably Ray Charles, but it didn't sound quite like Ray.

Well, it was a great show, but that was a lifetime ago and in many ways an end of an era. I did not know it then, but I now think it was a great time for life in this country. That is, overall speaking. I sure hope a remake is done again with as many of the original cast members as possible. Something for us old geezers to remember and talk about the days of our youth.

Kath was partying at Don Johnson’s house when he shot himself in 1978
© 24hourcampfire