Home
Started out basic matte black krylon fusion after acetone and 4ot steel wool strip and a 180 sanding.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Made internal wrap with smaller zip ties this time and got a roll for external wrap.

Internal wrap tight as fugg from lesson,s learned from rd 1.
Heavy coat thread is your friend doing the tight wrap.

Outside roll wrap tight as fugg with coat thread binding.

You might have a future in crochet.
Began to suspect I was fugged with this playdough color appearance green overspray versus the cap color.
Thought it might dry darker tone .

Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You might have a future in crochet.

Thanks Jim....
I will look into that endeavor...

Fugging jackwagon ....

LOL!!!!
Now I need ta take a couple of pics out in the sun of this abortion..
Give me a few....
Looks like deep forest green, has more blue than yellow.
Kills me that each brand can have their version
If that's the finished product it do look pretty grippy.
Almost nothing likes to stick to these new HDPE stocks.

If they are not HDPE somebody will correct me to exactly what type of plastic they are.

Regardless, not much really likes to stick to them over the Long Haul. Paint seems to do the best but eventually it too wears off.

I did a bunch a Remington 700 take off ADL stocks that I had no use for and was able to move along at "exit" pricing of around $75 each.

Good luck with your project.
Way to hard and stressful trying to make nice stuff. life is better with crap, no work and easy.
Rene, here's a little advice. Take it FWIW...

You are working backwards, Amigo.

1) Spray the base color you want on the stock. Let that dry well.

2) Find something soft that will make the outline impression you want and get it wet with paint, and carefully touch the stock with it, and remove, leaving the impression with the color you want.

From what I see, the spray paint is too close, and too heavy on the texture wrapped stock. The paint gets around the texture when spraying, and won't give you the desired results.

Heavy spray isn't always your friend. wink
Originally Posted by hookeye
Looks like deep forest green, has more blue than yellow.
Kills me that each brand can have their version

Totally pissed off on cap color versus sprayed color.
I'm thinking if I bust out my mad modeling "dry" brushing skills
and hit every 3rd or 4th cell and leave the web line I can give it a darker scattered appearance with a dark OD green today.
Did some over webbing shoots with black and brown last night.
That got my mind off the "green" overall abortion somewhat.

I was shooting for a simple green web overspray.
But this green is gumby matte green in my OCD eyes big time.

Worse comes to worse.
Acetone and 4ot it again.
180 light sand.

Then try version 3.0.......

Color fail in my eyes big time........

Originally Posted by rockinbbar

2) Find something soft that will make the outline impression you want and get it wet with paint, and carefully touch the stock with it, and remove, leaving the impression with the color you want.

From what I see, the spray paint is too close, and too heavy on the texture wrapped stock. The paint gets around the texture when spraying, and won't give you the desired results.

Heavy spray was a factor I was thinking also with the wrap.
Needed someone with experience like yourself to say it.
Why I'm seeking advice and opinons.

If I redo this thing in the next couple days.
I might just go with a simple Dark OD green.
Roll with it thru Thunder Chicken season.
Then try the webbing technique again this summer.

Learning every time I do it.
Which aint a bad thing...

Here is the Buttstock

The green is a color fail. The reddish color looks like maybe cowboy tim was trying to kiss the forearm......πŸ˜†
Originally Posted by acy
The green is a color fail. The reddish color looks like maybe cowboy tim was trying to kiss the forearm......πŸ˜†

JFC......
You mean you dont like the gumby green either????
at least let me try the dark OD green mad modeling " dry" brushing skills on some web cells 1st and see what I can salvage and what it looks like .
And get 2 or 3 coats of clear matte over it

You just totally put the bad Juju on me with that Cowboy Tim comment.
What a Jedi mind fugg!!!

That's it mister!!!!!
You are gonna win my 1st ever ignored dude award on here now!!!

Holy fugg......

LMFAO!!!!
A little green goes a long ways...

Here's a stock I painted close to 20 years ago. Took the photo just now.

For the webbing effect, I used a cedar frond and lightly sprayed over it, and it left the background black, as the original color of the stock was black.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Not my best work, but you get the idea... wink
Originally Posted by CashisKing

If they are not HDPE somebody will correct me to exactly what type of plastic they are.

Regardless, not much really likes to stick to them over the Long Haul. Paint seems to do the best but eventually it too wears off.

I did a bunch a Remington 700 take off ADL stocks that I had no use for and was able to move along at "exit" pricing of around $75 each.

Google fu
Here I come.
A little green goes a long ways...

Here's a stock I painted close to 20 years ago. Took the photo just now.

For the webbing effect, I used a cedar frond and lightly sprayed over it, and it left the background black, as the original color of the stock was black.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Not my best work, but you get the idea... wink

That looks really good.
Originally Posted by renegade50
Outside roll wrap tight as fugg with coat thread binding.

JFC! grin

There ain’t nothing wrong with that imo.
Timothy Leary's dead.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Timothy Leary's dead.

Holy schitt!!!

I wonder how many get that.

LOL!!!
Strip and ODG it... TexturedeDevcon...

Google fu
Here I come.

Been digging since he posted that.
From what I can tell they only have 6 colors.

https://www.montana-cans.com/en/spray-cans/montana-effect-sprays/marble-400ml/montana-marble-400ml
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

The green man.
The green .....

LOL!!!!

Im gonna see what some dark OD green can do for it later on today.

Trail and error.
Lessons learned stuff.

Version 2.0
Color fail IMO.

if the dark od green touches I'm think of suck.

I will just go repeat and go dark OD green for turkey season.
Then do 3.0 dark od green webbing w/ black base this summer.

Need ta get this gun back together and on the pattern board with TSS ricky tick.
T bird season bout 30 days away now.
Reminds me of the breath mint 10/22!

Do you need the webbing?

My trekking poles were very shiny and painted with garish granola muncher colors. I took them apart, taped what I didn't want painted and hung them in the garage. I used Krylon matte black, khaki and brown like FDE. I shot the base color (black) and let it dry. Then I just random shot the next color as I saw fit. The edge of the spray gives it a muted effect. When the second color was dry, the third was shot.

I was very pleased with the overall effect. It was a very muted three color, no discernible pattern paint job. It has lasted very well except on the lower extension that is in the snow or vegetation. It also wears off when I collapse them to use as shooting sticks. Overall, it has lasted since 2007.
BTW,

Hobby Lobby just don't have that webbing you are using on their website.
Nearest store to me is like 60 miles one way.
If ya get back over there and come up with the name for the stuff it'd be nice.
this reminds me, my order of krylon black webbing spray is ready for pickup at the local Ace hardware.
Originally Posted by JeffA

Google fu
Here I come.

https://www.montana-cans.com/en/spray-cans/montana-effect-sprays/marble-400ml/montana-marble-400ml

They also have spray webbing that's maybe a little easier to control than Krylon. And replaceable nozzles with different spray patterns for the other stuff... Quality product line.

Google fu
Here I come.

Correct. Actually I was thinking it was fewer than six.

I have played around with different blends of black white and silver.

In my case all the stocks were junk Tupperware stocks so I never got to concerned with going hog-wild putting lipstick on a pig.
https://www.amazon.com/Montana-Cans-Spider-Effect-Spray/dp/B006ZJLVMQ

No idea on pricing...

Google fu
Here I come.

I just seen like over a 100+ colors on one of the hits doing google fu.
3 places down in nashvegas are carry it.
Summer road trip check em out .

Interesting with that adjustable webbing effect.
Black webbing on a decent base coat of a matte green base coat shade would be interesting and kinda unique.

This spray painting syn stock stuff is a pandora,s box once ya try it.

This was my 2nd attempt ever.
And their are 100,s of techniques to look at and plenty of guys brains to pick for knowledge and experience
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

I searched a little bit beyond Amazon and found some art store that had better pricing and free shipping at $75 or whatever. Bought a few cans of clear overcoat flat to knock down the sheen.

If I had to guess the $75 purchase of various colors and the clear overcoat did around 20 stocks. So $5 or so in materials each.

Google fu
Here I come.

Correct. Actually I was thinking it was fewer than six.

I have played around with different blends of black white and silver.

In my case all the stocks were junk Tupperware stocks so I never got to concerned with going hog-wild putting lipstick on a pig.

Whatever I do to this 835 stock is trail and error stuff for me also.
Eventually I will find the look and technique that I feel GTG with.

Too easy to start over and the learning curve is good to experience.
This is what you want..and if you have an Ace store near you, you'll have it within a week with free ship to store. Can get several guns out of can.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/paint-and-supplies/spray-paint/general-purpose/1603976
BTW,

I'm gonna go dumpster diving in the trash can in the garage now.

Your gonna owe me man....

LOL!!!

Silver webbing on the right... Over coated with ODG below. Hard to discern in the picture, but, the webbing shows through tanish color. Don't really care for canned webbing anymore, unless used very open, or more often just for texturing.

I like it.

Kind of a Detroit Diesel Alpine Green.

Very classy.

Google fu
Here I come.

I just seen like over a 100+ colors on one of the hits doing google fu.
3 places down in nashvegas are carry it.
Summer road trip check em out .

Interesting with that adjustable webbing effect.
Black webbing on a decent base coat of a matte green base coat shade would be interesting and kinda unique.

This spray painting syn stock stuff is a pandora,s box once ya try it.

This was my 2nd attempt ever.
And their are 100,s of techniques to look at and plenty of guys brains to pick for knowledge and experience

I hear you on the rabbit hole...

I also messed around with colored silicone caulk. Caulk used for metal building seams. Super super grippy finish almost like a Nerf football, but came out kind of strange I'm not sure if I like it.

Dabbed it on in small sections at a time. Let dry overnight dabbed on a different color in a different area.

Silicon will stick to anything. Except HDPE stocks. Even tried 3M 5200. Even that will peel off.

The silicon and the 5200 did work on wood. But they did not work on Tupperware stocks

Good luck with your rabbit hole, I gave up.

I searched a little bit beyond Amazon and found some art store that had better pricing and free shipping at $75 or whatever. Bought a few cans of clear overcoat flat to knock down the sheen.

If I had to guess the $75 purchase of various colors and the clear overcoat did around 20 stocks. So $5 or so in materials each.

Dick Blick likely carries it. What a name!

There's several different polymers used to make stocks. Safe bet, use an adhesion promoter (like Bulldog) and plastic specific base. Then whatever. Many plastics have release agents in them. Heating will cause it to spew.... The automotive market is about the pinnacle for painting plastic and rubbers. Bulldog is like a spray on glue layer that clings, yep, like a Bulldog...

Devcon for heavy texture.
I worked with a guy who used a big marijuana leaf to pattern the camo on his shotgun furniture. It actually turned out fairly nice. You didn't really notice the marijuana leaf pattern until he pointed it out to you. Then it was very apparent.
BTW,

You owe me man....
trash can CSI schitt.....
Dog food cans.
Marie Calander microwave meal containers.
Ect ect ect...

LOL!!!!

Total fail is not doing anything.
I ain't gonna lie, I think it looks great.

However, you should know that I am colorblind....seriously. 🀣
Can I get a witness????

Found mr. color cap doing the CSI trash can search for that hobby lobby tag info for JeffA.

Please tell me I have not grown color blind....
JFC.....

LOL!!!!

Dick Blick likely carries it. What a name!

There's several different polymers used to make stocks. Safe bet, use an adhesion promoter (like Bulldog) and plastic specific base. Then whatever. Many plastics have release agents in them. Heating will cause it to spew.... The automotive market is about the pinnacle for painting plastic and rubbers. Bulldog is like a spray on glue layer that clings, yep, like a Bulldog...

Devcon for heavy texture.

Blick... bingo.

That was the store.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Disregard my cap and forearm pic then.
Your opinon is not wanted....

JK....
LOL!!!!
BTW,

You owe me man....
Dog food cans.
Ect ect ect...

LOL!!!!

Thanks,
I have two cans of the Montana Marble Effect paint in black on their way, supposed ETA 02/26.

Want one?
FYI they sell replacement butt stocks and forends it's your best play now

JK....
LOL!!!!

Lol, turkeys ain't colorblind, so there is that. 🀣
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I worked with a guy who used a big marijuana leaf to pattern the camo on his shotgun furniture. It actually turned out fairly nice. You didn't really notice the marijuana leaf pattern until he pointed it out to you. Then it was very apparent.

I'm gonna have ta see if slumlord has any stashed in between pages of a bible or one of his encyclopedia display collections.

LOL!!!
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

Ouch!

I'm gonna have ta see if slumlord has any stashed in between pages of a bible or one of his encyclopedia display collections.

LOL!!!

My dad used to wear a t-shirt with a big ol marijuana plant on the front...he had no clue it was a pot plant. He used to wear it on RV trips with a bunch of other RVer friends. Hilarious.

JK....
LOL!!!!

No schitt.
Their eyesight is fugging uncanny.
Been pegged on Wtf moment many a times over the years.
Even fugging blinking your eyes too fast or too much when some get in real close like under 10 yds for various reasons can fugg up your day.

LOL!!!

My dad used to wear a t-shirt with a big ol marijuana plant on the front...he had no clue it was a pot plant. He used to wear it on RV trips with a bunch of other RVer friends. Hilarious.

Laffin!!!!
BTW,

You owe me man....
Dog food cans.
Ect ect ect...

LOL!!!!

Thanks,
I have two cans of the Montana Marble Effect paint in black on their way, supposed ETA 02/26.

Want one?

Im good man.
Got plenty of time and options to mull over.

Ouch!

Hardly....
LOL!!!!
I don’t see a total fail . Don’t listen to Scumload
Peashooters galore!

JK....
LOL!!!!

No schitt.
Even fugging blinking your eyes too fast or too much when some get in real close like under 10 yds for various reasons can fugg up your day.

Yep, they bust me every time when I'm in a treestand bowhunting deer. I don't even twitch and they still bust me.
Can I get a witness????

Found mr. color cap doing the CSI trash can search for that hobby lobby tag info for JeffA.

Please tell me I have not grown color blind....
JFC.....

LOL!!!!

That’s some Elton John paint can lid
Hot pink tape would be legit
I like it.

Kind of a Detroit Diesel Alpine Green.

Very classy.

Thanks Jim....
Alpine green/ gumby green .....
Just not digging it man....

LOL!!!

JK....
LOL!!!!

No schitt.

Yep, they bust me every time when I'm in a treestand bowhunting deer. I don't even twitch and they still bust me.

I'm looking forward to FTCKY this spring.
They shut down the back 40 to turkey hunting last spring for almost 30 days at one point.
Should be some really big older 4 and 5 yr old Toms age progression wise out and about this spring.

Silver webbing on the right... Over coated with ODG below. Hard to discern in the picture, but, the webbing shows through tanish color. Don't really care for canned webbing anymore, unless used very open, or more often just for texturing.

You've defiantly have that stock painting pretty much mastered. They all look really, really good. Very professional.
Ifn you dont dig it, flat black over the top and try again
Ifn you dont dig it, flat black over the top and try again

Babysitting giant baby huey hound dog Baylor right now.
Wife had a Boob doc appt down in nashvegas.
Daughter went with her.
After his seperation crying and poor me howling.
TFF...
He is finally laying down.
When they get back , I'm gonna get a can of dark od green and do some webbing oversprays.
See how that looks covering up more of the gumby green.

If its a flop....

Strip it with the acetone and steel wool ( too easy)
Light sand for bite cause the acetone seems to smooth out the raw stock somewhat.

Shoot it the Dark Od green .
Hit with clear matte.

Go for # 3 after turkey season.

LOL!!!

My mom bought a cap to wear when she was doing yardwork that had a big embroidered marijuana leaf on the front. She didn't know it was a pot leaf. She just liked the workmanship of the embroidery.

She might still wear it for all I know.
12 gauge?

Alpine Green was the color they painted the 12v71 engine.

They called it the buzzin Dozen. Dozen is 12 for you pub ed types.

Might get you some street cred with the local trucker-lot lizzard crowd.

LOL!!!

My mom bought a cap to wear when she was doing yardwork that had a big embroidered marijuana leaf on the front. She didn't know it was a pot leaf. She just liked the workmanship of the embroidery.

She might still wear it for all I know.

That is why the human race was invented.

Funny all the time.
12 gauge?

Alpine Green was the color they painted the 12v71 engine.

They called it the buzzin Dozen. Dozen is 12 for you pub ed types.

Might get you some street cred with the local trucker-lot lizzard crowd.

Thanks Jim for all your positive input today!!
Love ya bro!! ( not in goosey way)
Smoking a Pall Mall right now.

Ready to go about 10 ft away....
Gloves
Acetone
Steel wool

Fixing to strip it down.

I get it man.
I get it...
Gumby green gotta go.

LOL!!!

That sucks. Hell of a lot of work.

Go OD green man.

Go OD green man.

Yep.

Fugg with it later this summer.

The work I learned from.
So not a total loss.

That green cap color was GTG in my eyes.
How it was in the real world was totally different.

That fugged me big time......

Oh well.

Go OD green man.

Yep.

The work I learned from.
So not a total loss.

Oh well.

Friend of mine learned auto painting in prison.

It was amazing how far off we would be when trying to pick out colors.

He could match them perfectly. Practice I guess....and lighting conditions.
For a turkey gun, I would go leafy green instead of 270 green.
What's attraction to webbing? Can't warm up to it.. Must be a boomer thing with me.

g

Go OD green man.

Yep.

The work I learned from.
So not a total loss.

Oh well.

Friend of mine learned auto painting in prison.

It was amazing how far off we would be when trying to pick out colors.

He could match them perfectly. Practice I guess....and lighting conditions.

The matter of the color I picked I liked that shade of green actually.
The lid and the color band on the can matched.
Looked at 3 or 4 of em in the display slot.
Thought I was GTG

What came outta the can for color sure as heck didnt jive.

Krylon fusion brand.
Maybe they had some stoned workers after break time doing labels??
I dont fugging know...
Lol!!!
Schit happens I geuss.

Dont matter now..

Its stripped now.
Sand it lightly for adhesion with 180 in the morning after coffee, smokes and a dumpasaurus rex.
LOL!!!

Blank canvas.

Don't go all Picasso on it.
Originally Posted by GeoW
What's attraction to webbing? Can't warm up to it.. Must be a boomer thing with me.

g

Just an idea I came up with after looking at vids of different techniques.
Got an idea to check out hobby lobby for stuff.
I kinda like the pattern it makes

Their is one on the web using elmers glue as a pattern.
I posted a vid about that.

The water dipping swirl stuff looks interesting also.

Im just going a dark od green for turkey season till this summer .
Then experiment again with it and see what happens.

g

No, I don't really like it.. Oops I misread.... grin
Blank canvas.

Don't go all Picasso on it.

Fugging 60,s flower pot x2 .
Trying to unfugg and salvage a disater.

I cant remember who said it after my 1st attempt.
But they nailed it.
LOL!!!

If I can just nail down this black base with webbing and green over spray.
I would probably be satisfied.

The webbing job on # 2 was better than # 1
But the gumby green that came outta that can sure as fugg wasnt dark Spanish moss matte like on the cap and label.

Be nice if the places that sell spray paint would have a test shot panel with employee approval.
2 or 3 blast after a good shaking.
Buy that can.
But then lowes, home depot, and wally world would have a schit load of cans from change you mind types.
I woulda caught that gumby green versus the cap and label color.
And the project woulda had clear matte done to it today.
And gun put back together on thurs or fri.

Schitt happens.
I know I aint color blind.
Lol!!

g

Have you ever done that swirl technique in a big ole container of water???

Just brain storming...
Just do a bunch of green and black cock'n balls on it now.
I am sure Slumlord has that stencil somewhere....
Just do a bunch of green and black cock'n balls on it now.

With airborne wings on em!!!
I am sure Slumlord has that stencil somewhere....

Im drawing ya a pic.
Been done all over the planet.

LOL!!!
Oooh rah!

g

Just brain storming...

Never heard of such a thing.

Spray only operation here...

Given your set up, and apparent desired outcome, I would suggest the sponge on methodology. Start with a base coat, solid or even two tone. Then sponge on your desired camo colors. No nets, no leaves, just you and the paint with creativity flowing like the eternal Campfire flame....

Buy proper camo specific green

LOL!!!

Also was involved in the term Blue Falcon spreading thru the 101st
Summer 91.
16 of us e6,s and e5p,s from all 3 IN Rgts Camp Hinsch 11 Series BNCOC class 5-91.

A blue falcon was our class mural we painted.
SSG Dwayne Cox ( eventually CSM Cox 5th SFG) came out with the blue falcon and dyno mutt concept out in the smoking area one day.
Outta the blue cause he said it was akin to the stunts we was all pulling on each.

We all was always trying to buddy f u c k each in the stupidest schit at times.
Buncha infantry sqd ldrs from all different units just back from desert storm.
Good times........

g

Just brain storming...

Given your set up, and apparent desired outcome, I would suggest the sponge on methodology. Start with a base coat, solid or even two tone. Then sponge on your desired camo colors. No nets, no leaves, just you and the paint with creativity flowing like the eternal Campfire flame....

Dude....
You need ta google the technique.
"Swirl spray paint job"
Should put ya onto some vids.
Color link

Been wanting to dip into some old favorites in a faded blend... no hard lines or maybe even like NULA's stripes wink

Or from my time! BDU

Good job, Cash. Can you teach Rene?

Here is the Buttstock

I like that, Rene.
Color link

Been wanting to dip into some old favorites in a faded blend... no hard lines or maybe even like NULA's stripes wink

Some of those darker and higher medium greens is what I need.

That what I thought I had in that can.
But instead i got gumby green

Wtf????

Fugg it...
Learning curve schit.

Seemed like learning matterhorn curve yesterday when I undid that wrapping...

[email protected]
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Here is the Buttstock

I like that, Rene.

It might match sage somewhat out in your area???

Here in Tn...
Its fugging gumby green....

Lol!!!

JK....
LOL!!!!

No schitt.

Yep, even with total camo including camo vanes and nocks. frown
Think I'll go with a few of these.. Camo Spray

Used the green to match a scratch on a Brown Precision stock.. Perfect match.
Spray paint is hard

(Its not)

g

Just brain storming...

Dude....
You need ta google the technique.
"Swirl spray paint job"
Should put ya onto some vids.

Uhh, no, I'm good. LOL

I might use the cock-n-balls idea though.
Yeah..see?

The idea has "legs".

Or balls....as it were.
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Spray paint is hard

(Its not)

It gets harder when you add netting, twigs, and cock balz ...
Yeah..see?

The idea has "legs".

Or balls....as it were.

I would be nutz not to try it...
Think I'll go with a few of these.. Camo Spray

Used the green to match a scratch on a Brown Precision stock.. Perfect match.

Ding ding ding.....
Yeah..see?

The idea has "legs".

Or balls....as it were.

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Spray paint is hard

(Its not)

Post some pics of your creations up!!!
I'm open for ideas.
Im just a rookie at this spray paint syn stock stuff.

Lots of trial and error it seems like to me until you get some experience built up.

Like others have on here.
Show us some pics man!!!
Dont be shy dude.
Share some knowledge and examples of your work.
It,s what the place is about when ya get down to the nitty gritty.

Sharing knowledge, experience, and pics espeically!!!!

For everyone of us posting stuff their are probably 10 15 20 guys looking at the thread picking up on stuff in one way or the other.

Its a win win situation for all.

People have probably even learned from my test crash dummy stuff on here.

I know acetone and steel wool works great!!!!!

LOL!!!
My 1100 mag wears factory dip camo stock.
Thinking all black.
Or brown w black webbing.

Need an 870 express supermag recoil pad tbough.
Dig the vents
I may do a drunken tutorial or not.
Get more lazy as I age.
Flat black and matte clear would have it close to my 870 supermag
I may do a drunken tutorial or not.
Get more lazy as I age.
Flat black and matte clear would have it close to my 870 supermag

Lol!!!πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Rene try this pattern!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Rene try this pattern!

Mud flap girls?
Somebody needs to do that with Barry's silhouette on a stock for Kingston.

Spray paint is hard

(Its not)

I'm open for ideas.

Lots of trial and error it seems like to me until you get some experience built up.

Show us some pics man!!!
Dont be shy dude.

For everyone of us posting stuff their are probably 10 15 20 guys looking at the thread picking up on stuff in one way or the other.

LOL!!!

I dont want to shame you.
Maybe you should practice your colors and pattern on some cardboard until you come up with something you like - before painting the actual stock.
Spray paint is hard

(Its not)

I'm open for ideas.

Show us some pics man!!!
Dont be shy dude.

LOL!!!

Renegade: I don't have pics handy but what's turned out good for me is a base coat of O.D., overlaid by clusters of long-leaf pine needles and then sprayed with flat khaki so the pine needle pattern shows up green on the tan background. I don't stick the pine needles to the stock, just lay 'em on there so you have to turn it a few times. Krylon dries fast though.
^^^THIS^^^
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Maybe you should practice your colors and pattern on some cardboard until you come up with something you like - before painting the actual stock.

Great minds think alike!
My first rattle can job I did. I bought a mesh clothes bag from walmart to get the "snakeskin" look.

[Linked Image]
Spray paint is hard

(Its not)

I'm open for ideas.

Show us some pics man!!!
Dont be shy dude.

LOL!!!

I dont want to shame you.

Really???

I'm disappointed you wont share your work.
I wont be embarrased one bit.
Come on man put up some pics
Share what you do .
Not just so that I can see it, but others also!!!
Please..........
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Rene try this pattern!

Dude....
That is freakin awesome!!!!

LOL!!!!

The sky is the limit on stuff that can be done for sure.
Originally Posted by bigwoods
My first rattle can job I did. I bought a mesh clothes bag from walmart to get the "snakeskin" look.

[Linked Image]

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
I have thought of that also.
Glad ya got pics up !!!!
1st go . It looks great!!!
Ren,

Do paint fumes cause insomnia?

You dont seem to sleep man LOL
Ren,

Wife gets up for work early somedays.
I get up too with her sometimes.
The token gesture of support my momentary feeling of guilt from being retired causes. crazy laugh

It's a tremendous burden on my mind.
Its goes away rapidly though each day about 2.67 seconds after she leavez

LOL!!!!

Originally Posted by smokepole
Spray paint is hard

(Its not)

I'm open for ideas.

Show us some pics man!!!
Dont be shy dude.

LOL!!!

Renegade: I don't have pics handy but what's turned out good for me is a base coat of O.D., overlaid by clusters of long-leaf pine needles and then sprayed with flat khaki so the pine needle pattern shows up green on the tan background. I don't stick the pine needles to the stock, just lay 'em on there so you have to turn it a few times. Krylon dries fast though.

Ok ...
3rd attempt.....
I got the base in a olive green I can hang with.
Much better than gumby green of yesterday...
Lol!!!

The temptation to do some vegetation over shoot in matte black and matte brown is really frigging tempting.
I'm gonna let this olive green dry for 48 hrs.
Decide to either spray a matte clear coat on or go the route your saying and then matte clear coat.

Like cashisking said.
This spray painting syn stock schitt is a rabbit hole you can fall into deep.

Somebody has too much time on their hands........

"DUMPASAURUS REX" was the only real creativity in all this.

I do think the artist has been a bit anal so far.
Ren,

The token gesture of support my momentary feeling of guilt from being retired causes. crazy laugh

LOL!!!!

That cracked me up, I did the retirement thing last summer, I still get up with her and most times cook breakfast. Do the home cook breakfast thing because the damn China flu has give all the used to be good restaurants an excuse to go to hell.

And I kinda liked the 60's flower power look

I'm working on having some fun thus spring when the damn floods recede.

Carry on!
I have clearly stated numerous times over the years I am ate the fugg up with OCD on any gun project I do.. woot woot!!!
This syn stock spray painting thing is new to me.
If I had taken it up yrs ago it would be mundane to me now.

I did spend 2.5 hrs looking for the right green this morning.
Didn't tell anyone at lowes, home depot, walmart, and rural king that I was doing some clandestine test shoots on display rack beam and a couple of convenient prices tags.
Lol!!!
Aint like I aint got nothing else to do till turkey ramps up!!
Then I can bombard the forum with pics or it never happened post out turkey hunting.
People on here love or hate those threads.
LOL!!!

What else is their to do right now?????

I do have to put up the 2ft extension on the fence when the 14 ga horse fencing comes in that I ordered last friday.
Got all the hog clips, poles, metal fence ties, and top runner wire.
Cause Baylor the " wonder hound" is one fence jumping mofo.
LOL!!!

I suppose I could change the oil in my truck tommorow.
Maybe.......
Got all that ready to go in the garage.

Tonight that new show " resident alien" is on at 9pm Cst on sci fi channel. So I got that to look forward too.
Watching forged in fire reruns right now.
Fixing to feed Blackjack right now.
Gotta go!!!!!

LOL!!!

Originally Posted by blindshooter
Ren,

LOL!!!!

That cracked me up, I did the retirement thing last summer, I still get up with her and most times cook breakfast. Do the home cook breakfast thing because the damn China flu has give all the used to be good restaurants an excuse to go to hell.

Carry on!

It was you that said the 60,s flower pot thing.
LOL!!! I Remember now.

Most def didnt dig that look.
Hahshahaha!!!

I gotta get the laundry outta the dryer after I feed Blackjack.
The wife likes to put it away when she gets home.
Just toss it all in the basket.
She has her own special thing about folding it all.
You go girlπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Do it your way!!!
Lol!!!

I am laundry bitch 1..
Lol!!!!
Its a huge burden on me......

Lol!!
Ren,

LOL!!!!

Carry on!

LOL!!! I Remember now.

Hahshahaha!!!

Do it your way!!!
Lol!!!

I am laundry bitch 1..
Lol!!!!

Lol!!

It is a giant burden!!

Mine don't care, she only allows me to wash the stuff that don't matter.
Says the way I wash would ruin her stuff.
I just chunk it in and pour some stuff in behind it and light it off. Works for me...
Gonna go look me some new fishing chit tomorrow......
Ren,

LOL!!!!

Carry on!

LOL!!! I Remember now.

Hahshahaha!!!

Do it your way!!!
Lol!!!

I am laundry bitch 1..
Lol!!!!

Lol!!

It is a giant burden!!

Mine don't care, she only allows me to wash the stuff that don't matter.
Says the way I wash would ruin her stuff.
I just chunk it in and pour some stuff in behind it and light it off. Works for me...
Gonna go look me some new fishing chit tomorrow......

I need ta take 2 or 3 days and go play the stand in line ammo game at academy see what might be a available.
Looks like the color of well weathered fatigues to me...

How much did you shake the can?

Some colors need more mixing otherwise the color changes as you work through the can...
I thought this thread died when someone said the red paint job works better in the bursted hemmorhoid thread.
Spray paint is hard

(Its not)

I'm open for ideas.

Show us some pics man!!!
Dont be shy dude.

LOL!!!

Ok ...
3rd attempt.....
Lol!!!

The temptation to do some vegetation over shoot in matte black and matte brown is really frigging tempting.
Decide to either spray a matte clear coat on or go the route your saying and then matte clear coat.

Like cashisking said.

I really like mauve for that application.

Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Looks like the color of well weathered fatigues to me...

How much did you shake the can?

Some colors need more mixing otherwise the color changes as you work through the can...

1- 2 mins per instructions of various brands.
This is what i found today that I used.
Originally Posted by slumlord

LOL!!!
I aint buying schit....

^ ^ ^ this ^ ^ ^

I'm not seeing anything wrong with it
Put the gun together and use it.
If somebody criticizes it, a buttstroke
to the teefs should quiet things back down
That green looks good. Black webb or black and gold webb.

Call it done.

If you want more functional than pretty, hit that w black and tan in spots and call it done.

Or....try to some stuff and see what happens.

Entertaining thread. Good for giving folks ideas.
Rural king had a pretty good selection that other places didnt have

Stuff to experiment with this summer.
Krylon Green based multicolored texture stuff.
Looked pretty cool actually.
Seen some matte black pro enamel stuff cant remember who made that, probably krylon. IIRC.

Seen some matte black pro enamel stuff cant remember who made that, probably krylon. IIRC.

Well I could bring a dozen different cans of paint for you if you'll host a turkey hunt. All I need is a lodge, birds, gun, shells, food , and lots of beer. Deal?
Originally Posted by Ranger99

^ ^ ^ this ^ ^ ^

I'm not seeing anything wrong with it
Put the gun together and use it.
If somebody criticizes it, a buttstroke
to the teefs should quiet things back down

The gumby green is what bothered me.
Originally Posted by BobBrown

Well I could bring a dozen different cans of paint for you if you'll host a turkey hunt. All I need is a lodge, birds, gun, shells, food , and lots of beer. Deal?

Settle down Gopher

LOL

Sheesh
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by BobBrown

Settle down Gopher

LOL

Sheesh

I really dont know how to tell Bob that I'm already commited to calling for alwaysoutdoors this spring.
He said he sucks at calling and has been using a pile of yellow yelper helper on his places to kill jakes.

Im gonna sit about 25 yds behind always and hopefully he can kill his 1st mature Tom and not be all trigger happy and blow away a jake if one comes in.
I told him jakes are for kids, old men, and the handicapped.
He wants to break the habit of being a jake killer I think.

We been PMing about turkey hunting since last spring.
You can send it out for hydro dipping....just saying
You can send it out for hydro dipping....just saying

My thoughts for R50s project as well for the last few days reading about his adventure but ,hey, he's having fun.

I hope ! smile smile smile cool
Spray paint is hard

(Its not)

I'm open for ideas.

Show us some pics man!!!
Dont be shy dude.

LOL!!!

Ok ...
3rd attempt.....
Lol!!!

Like cashisking said.

Damn, you're more industrious than I was, I'd let the base coat dry for at least 15 minutes.......
© 24hourcampfire