Home
Thinking about getting a new pup after retirement so have been perusing the local ads. Seems "-doodle" is all the rage - labradoodle, schnoodle, lhasadoodle, goldendoodle - lots and lots of goldendoodles, blooddoodle, even one "Australian Mountain Doodle". I'm surprised no one is advertising any poodledoodles.

So, not ranting or satirizing here (although it is a bit comical), but a semi-serious question; what's the big attraction to mixing breeds with poodles? Or is it just the inevitable result of poodles sneaking out of the house to find horny bitches lots more than other dogs?
Have you seen all the men walking around with skinny jeans?
They're the same people that believe we can vaccinate colds.
I think it’s a combination of fad and sounding “cute” to some buyers and the appeal of poodles and poodle crosses generally not shedding.
Poodles are high on the intelligence scale and they don't shed. I had a labradoodle for 13 years and she was the best dog I've ever had.

Now I'm looking for a standard poodle for my next dog. Bypassing all those doodle half breeds and go straight to the source.
They are smart Basstards for one and they don’t shed. Personally I don’t care for poodles though.
They a mutts but the cool thing to have now I guess. People get a lot of money for them, i ran across a litter of double golden doodles...like a three way incest thing it sounded like when the lady explained it, she was getting 800 a piece like it was nothing.

I hear they dont shed and are hypoallergenic so I guess thats a good thing
Meeeahh....... They are all MUTS, PERIOD. You never know what you will get with a "MUT". The "Doodles" do shed and they are NOT "Anti Allergic" either . All kinds of temperament and inherited conformation issues too.

There are NO "BREEDERS" of Doodle-anything............... They are all just Scam Artists.......

There are over 100 different breeds registered by the AKC. Do a search on the various breeds, pick a good breeder and be happy for many years because you will know what you will get.
Well, I don't know. One of my SIL is allergic to all dogs except a "doodle". That's what they got, and he's fine with it, so for some people at least they ARE hypoallergenic.
The faithfulness of a lab and the non-shedding of a poodle.

Having said that, they’re just the latest “must have” pet.

I saw an “Australian” doodle the other day, too and thought WTF? Just another way to add some cache to the mutt.

Bottom line - people are idiots.
Originally Posted by deflave

I think cuck911 has a doodle. The few people I know that picked up doodle has serious health issues. Not much regulation of breed. Lots of puppy mills. I know of no reputable longterm breeders of doodles.

Stick with a well known breed with a good breeder who cares, with health certs. Just get a standard poodle from a reputable breeder.
They are great if your allergic, but that's the only benefit I can see. If you price a pup. you'll go to a shelter to get a dog.

Oldest daughter's Poodle-Ausie Shepard bitch mix had a litter of 11 pups late last year and had them all sold but one (they kept one) for big bucks before they were a month old. The sire is a Goldendoodle. She's got another litter due next weekend from the same two dogs. Bunch of people have already spoke interest in buying them once born.

I haven't seen anything out of any of her Doodle mix dogs that made me believe they were especially intelligent. She had another one a few years ago and I developed a strong dislike for. That dog was a really hard headed thing. It refused to do anything it didn't want to do and would fight you every step of the way to not do it. The only redeeming quality it had was it was very protective of their family. It would even try to "save" daughter and grandkids when they were swimming in their swimming pool by jumping in and pulling them to safety even though they didn't need saving.
The F1 cross is pretty predictable. A first generation golden doodle is pretty much the same where ever you look.

My son has a standard poodle x springer. He is a big furry white with black speckles mop, loves the water, loves the kids, and leaves gallons of water in his wake when he crawls out of the pond. He is hilarious. My son loves him as do the grandkids, But I would not have him around.

F2 crosses are where things get unpredictable, as you never know how many genes or which genes of each breed you will end up with.

My wife and daughter each bought respectively a female and a male (brother and sister) from a litter of "morkies". maltese X yorkie.

My wife's female appears to be about 80% maltese, while my daughter's male appears to be 80% yorkie. Typical of an F2 cross.

Yes, they could have just gone to the pound and picked any toy sized mutt, and saved $1500 apiece. But at least this way they are fairly assured there is not a damned pitbull in the ancestry anywhere.

Myself, our next and probably last dog is going to be a fine Golden from Ponderay Kennels. I will have to drive to Colorado to get him.
I like a good mutt for the house. Helps if they don't shed. But I'm not going to pay mid or even high 3 figures or more for one.
We've got a golden doodle that was rehomed. The family that originally bought him was in over their heads with a new pup, so we didn't pay the insane breeder fees.

Say what you will about them being the trendy pet for suburban housewives, he's a great dog. Gentle with kids, smart, and obedient. Absolutely no regrets.
They don't shed, at least not as much, and they're supposed to be non-allergenic.
Get a large one bred from a standard poodle. Some of the standards still have some brains. The small ones are bred from toy poodles and the toy breed is as stupid as dogs can come. They've bred them for small size and zero brains.
Like already stated. No shedding and very smart which makes them easy to train. If you just want a pet, they are a great option and and generally great dogs. Nothing worse than a stupid pup.
Originally Posted by Natty_Bumpo
Meeeahh....... They are all MUTS, PERIOD. You never know what you will get with a "MUT". The "Doodles" do shed and they are NOT "Anti Allergic" either . All kinds of temperament and inherited conformation issues too.

There are NO "BREEDERS" of Doodle-anything............... They are all just Scam Artists.......

There are over 100 different breeds registered by the AKC. Do a search on the various breeds, pick a good breeder and be happy for many years because you will know what you will get.

Correct.
I would’nt pay 2,000$ for stupid ass, inbred, hyper-active dog.
Originally Posted by ribka

I think cuck911 has a doodle. The few people I know that picked up doodle has serious health issues. Not much regulation of breed. Lots of puppy mills. I know of no reputable longterm breeders of doodles.

Stick with a well known breed with a good breeder who cares, with health certs. Just get a standard poodle from a reputable breeder.

Yes, that is affirmative

The Duck-of-Doodles
They are a ridiculous fad.
Neighbor two doors up has two. Dumbest dogs I have ever met. And for the record they both shed. I would never ruin a Lab by producing these mutts.
What gets me is they sell these dogs of mixed breeds for outrageous prices.

Last time I knew a mixed breed was a purebred american cheesehound .
Aka: Mutt.

I havent had a purebred dog with papers since 2011 when my Black lab Sonja died.
I think Sonja had a mild case of doggy downes syndrome.
Narrower than normal eyes when compared to other labs.
Sweet dog.
But dumber than a bag of rocks.
At least she mastered house training at an early age and would go to the door for the I gotta go cue.
0 retention beyond a day or 2 in anything she was taught.
Had me seriously doubting my train a dog skills at times.
But then I got Cookie as a pup in 06 and he got everything fast with retention I ever taught him.

I still catch myself at slumlords calling his lab Sonja instead of Dixie every once in awhile.
Doodle dogs live on a strictly tofu diet, therefore they make excellent companions for many.
I have a golden-doodle. Best dog I've ever had.
It’s the 6.5 Creedmoor of dogs.
RIP Reggie
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Ex GF has a miniature Golden Doodle..incredibly smart little guy..
Hypoallergenic...
Originally Posted by ribka

When we were up there over summer I was stunned at how many were for sale in the Nickel's Worth often selling for $2 - 3K. The "breeders" source of income it appears.
I paid $600 for my Lab and he has a good bloodline. Totally non aggressive with anything or anybody. Always upbeat and happy.

He's about as good of a companion dog as you could ask for. It's no wonder to me that Labs have been the most popular breed for 25+ years.

I don't know why people will pay twice that amount for a Lab crossed with anything.

It's hard to improve on the original.
I've had boxers since '96.
My last girl died November and my wife decided I was not completely sane without a dog so she went and got me a Golden doodle.
25% golden %75 poodle. Solid black.
She's 11 weeks old. Always through the night and it's house trained 90%.
Great little dog and I'm sure she's smart.
However, I still prefer square head dogs like boxers and bulls.
Honestly, I have nothing against any dog. the little "kick-its" aren't my thing. But I like about any normal-ish dog better then most humans! I too had a lab years ago. Hard headed and dumber then a sack of lag bolts. I've had better luck with mutts. I think any "pure breed" can get a little too pure as in, in-bread and stupid. Beagles got puppy milled pretty bad. My golden doodle is smart and has chosen the wife as his human. She calls him her "supervisor" as he is constantly by her side.
Wife bought one of these things. Bernedoodle. Bernese Mountain dog and poodle.

It's be a fun dog, but the grooming is pretty excessive. No shedding though, and a good disposition, which is nice since she's 85lbs.

[Linked Image from images.squarespace-cdn.com]
I had a Weimaraner for 15 years that was super intelligent and a FANTASTIC dog. After she passed we ended up getting the kids an AussieDoodle. He’s 14 months old and has shown more intelligence than Weim ever did. He’s extremely intelligent, easy to train and is really good with the kids. All he wants is to be beside you. He rides the fork lift With my dad at the shop, will follow you all day if you are on the tractor, etc, etc. I’m currently training him to find whitetail sheds. Started the training at 6 months but stopped because he wasn’t really using his nose. Now that we’ve got that fixed he’s doing a pretty good job. I’m impressed.
I have had a labradoodle for 8 years now. Best house dog I ever had. Well manered ( but very protective of our family ) and easily trained. Was great with the kids when they younger too.
Responsibly breeding a sound Lab, due to the breeds popularity and ubiquity, requires considerable investment in time and energy.
The sire and dam will have had their hips and elbows x-rayed prior to breeding, genetic tests for EIC, PRA, and CNM will have been done. Eyes checked for retinal detachment.
Then include training/travel for hunt and/or field trial titles.

You can bet these upper level dogs are not the ones being crossed with poodles to produce doodle-whateverthehell.

A well bred Lab pup starts around $1200 or so here. The neighbors I mentioned in an earlier post with doodle dogs spent $3k each on them and drove to Utah to get them. I hope they got what they wanted, but to me that is ridiculous.

As Bristoe said, "It's hard to improve on the original."
While hanging out at a local winery last year the owners were babysitting their miniature labradoodle. This dog was amazing, very smart and socialable; just a little sweetheart. I would have took her home in a minute.

I'm not home enough to have a dog but when I decide to get one a miniature labradoodle is what I'll be looking at. I will say that if it has a 2k price tag I'll take a pass.
Originally Posted by davet

It's be a fun dog, but the grooming is pretty excessive. No shedding though, and a good disposition, which is nice since she's 85lbs.

Looks like she's smiling.
Just to be clear, I'm not looking for a doodle anything. I'm really leaning toward a lab which would be my 4th of that breed but keeping an open mind*. Just noticed that ads for various doodles were approaching 50% of the total dogs for sale ads in the Zidaho classifieds and was curious about that.

* toying with the idea of a Brittany since they're a bit smaller than your average lab, or outside chance of a Border Collie. The border collie would be good since it could go get the groceries, do my taxes and stuff like that...
I was against the doodle dogs for a long time. Thought they were ridiculous and overpriced. Still think they are overpriced but besides our late German Shorthair, not sure you can beat them for a pet. Our 11 pounder is great at finding whitetail sheds and never leaves your side.

davet: awesome looking pup!
I've never understood what the "poodle" added to a good Lab or Golden.
We have a golden doodle that is 10.5 and you’d be hard pressed to find a better family dog. She’s smart, friendly to anyone let into our home, has a big bark and growl for people approaching our home and doesn’t shed. Everyone who has ever met her loves her and says she’s one of a kind - even a few who aren’t dog people or only get shelter pets. She loves the whole family but is especially close to me since I worked from home the first 7 years of her life and she is my office buddy for the past year of staying home too. We had a beagle prior to the doodle and she was great but could never really be trusted off leash and we still find hair from time to time. I won’t hesitate to get another once she’s gone but she’ll be tough to replace.
What gets me is they sell these dogs of mixed breeds for outrageous prices.
Our daughter has a pair of the small ones. They're as stupid as any dogs I've ever seen. She got a litter of 4 pups from them. She's sold 3 so far...for $1600 each.
One of my two dogs at present is a 50/50 Shih Tzu/Poodle. Deliberately bred mutt. Designer mutt. Whatever you want to call it. Gift for the GF; she picked it, I paid. Went for a thou even. Didn’t have high expectations for it on any level, but like I said, her choice/my wallet. 8 years later I can say it is The Best damn dog I have ever owned. Hands down. Best of both breeds. Now I don’t know whether I get a full
Poodle or full Shih Tzu next. I think they broke the mold when they bred that girl, and I’m not going to chase the dragon.
My daughter keeps kids for this couple we know up the road here, they have a black one. Nice house, and it’s an inside dog. The mfer smells like a chesapeake that’s been swimming in a cow shît pond.

Tries to run through their full glass storm door when someone comes up the walk LOL
He’s way too excited to meet people, obnoxious level. He is very gentle and friendly. But after a couple mins, it’s like jeeze GTF away from me, you stank.
I
Originally Posted by ejo
I was against the doodle dogs for a long time. Thought they were ridiculous and overpriced. Still think they are overpriced but besides our late German Shorthair, not sure you can beat them for a pet. Our 11 pounder is great at finding whitetail sheds and never leaves your side.

davet: awesome looking pup!

I had sticker shock at the price, but everybody like the dog. She's happy all of the time and is a big teddy bear. If anyone is in the family room the dog jumps on the couch and lays right beside them. Has a good bond with everyone in the family and is gentle around the grandbaby.

The Bernese Mountain dog is a cow herder and general farm dog, so mixed with a poodle they are very people friendly and easy to get along with.

The hair never quits growing though. She was just about drowning in 9" of hair when I took her in for the last grooming.
I never understood the hype either BUT, 7 years ago a customer was giving away Chipoo's (Chihuahua and toy poodle mix). Mother stopped feeding them at one month. Anyway, I brought one home thinking I would get a yapper that would hear intruders. I will tell you, she is the best little buddy ever. And no I don't wear skinny jeans! I actually used to make fun of a man with a foo-foo dog. Careful whatcha laugh at!
Originally Posted by UPhiker

That's because you're a dumbass.
Only other thing I can see is at least they aren't pitbull mutts.
My brother and sister-in-law breeds Australian doodles out in Montana and they air ship them all over the country. It is far from a puppy mill as they have a living quarters for the vet right there in the kennel when he comes. A first class operation, but It is a full time job with no end in buyers. When he told me what they made last year selling dogs, it was jaw dropping.
These are some good posts. Doodle dogs from standard poodles in my experience are good pets and good family dogs. The are trainable and well mannered if trained.

They are a hot fad right now. Women go for them. "Oh, they don't shed? I like that!".

Standard x Lab or Golden = a tall dog that can be #75-#95 pounds. Not a small dog. Not an apartment dog. They need exercise. They will play fetch for hours. They like water. They are like a clumsy pony in the house. Depending on their food, they will crap like a buffalo. They are good with small children, but really are too big for kids under 4. Knock them or their asses by walking by. My daughter has a very pleasant Golden doodle. It's all of the above.

If you like Labs or Goldens or standard poodles, you will like the designer mixes. Avoid the mini ones.
My labs go down there and dry hump that doodle whenever they get to feelin their oats. It’s just on the side of our farm.

Brokeback Doodle

Originally Posted by Windfall
My brother and sister-in-law breeds Australian doodles out in Montana and they air ship them all over the country. It is far from a puppy mill as they have a living quarters for the vet right there in the kennel when he comes. A first class operation, but It is a full time job with no end in buyers. When he told me what they made last year selling dogs, it was jaw dropping.

Does he guarantee their health for a year and how many years does have with this designer breed? Does he provide, eyes,penn hips, OFA, health certs?

He built living quarters especially for the vet?

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
They don't shed, at least not as much, and they're supposed to be non-allergenic.
Get a large one bred from a standard poodle. Some of the standards still have some brains. The small ones are bred from toy poodles and the toy breed is as stupid as dogs can come. They've bred them for small size and zero brains.

If you want to go bigger....check out a Royal Poodle.
$$$$$ is why they are bred!
Originally Posted by MPat70
I never understood the hype either BUT, 7 years ago a customer was giving away Chipoo's (Chihuahua and toy poodle mix). Mother stopped feeding them at one month. Anyway, I brought one home thinking I would get a yapper that would hear intruders. I will tell you, she is the best little buddy ever. And no I don't wear skinny jeans! I actually used to make fun of a man with a foo-foo dog. Careful whatcha laugh at!

The father of my best friend in high school was an old school manly man - mechanic who owned a gas station, loved nothing better than to go to the dirt track and watch old beater car races and drink beer, that type of guy.

His wife bought a male white toy poodle she named Peppy, little yappy thing of about 12 pounds. He was aghast at first but apparently it won him over since it would always sit in his lap while they watched TV, except when someone walked by the house when it would jump up to the window and bark its head off. He never called him Peppy that I heard but always called him "Little Man".

It adds nothing but troubles.. And how do you get an 11# doodle from a Standard Poodle and a Labrador Retriever???? Impossible!!!
Originally Posted by davet

Lol, look at them fuggin' Elephant feet!

Good looking dog, I like it!
Have a bud in Memphis, big truck repair: keeps a standard poodle in the repair shop at night. That will eat your ass alive. I asked him he was feeding that mfer gunpowder. Sheesh!!
Ribka, I don't know all that stuff, but pm me and I can put you in touch with Kev if you want. Australian doodles are around 35# and just nicely dog size. Much as I like bigger dogs, my yellow lab could put his front paws on my shoulders and I'm 5'10". He was anything but portable and shed enough for two dogs. A friend of ours has two golden's in the house and I make excuses to stay outside because the whole house smells like a golden retriever. There is something to be said for non-shedding and hypoallergenic.
If you want a good people dog that is good in the house and doesn't shed, forget the half-breed stuff and find a good Airedale breeder
A poodle crossed with a lab is a labradoodle and is probably a great dog. Then you have what are known as "multi-generational" labradoodles which are doodles which have been bred back over several generations. The poodle genes appear to be dominant to the extent that, after a few generations, they are simply poodles without papers. Just like many breeders of purebred dogs, the breeders often breed for traits they consider desirable and ignore traits which go along with them. The Australian Doodles are a multi-generational mix and, as such are primarily a poodle with some lab genes mixed in but greatly diluted. There are things some of the breeders do with which I disagree. Pups may be neutered with a laser at only 8 weeks. Being neutered ar such a young age results in a dog which is, essentially, sexless. What the long term effects of this might be, I can't say but I have trouble warming up to the concept.
Before we got our current pup, an Airdale, I almost got an Airdoodle; a first generation cross but got the airdale just due to geography. In the end a mutt is just fine. Every dog we've ever had has been a friend to us for as long as we've had them. Spaniels, beagle, shepherd, collie poodle, great dane, doberman, weimeraner, and a host of mutts. All were gone too soon. Some, much too soon.
In my opinion, when you buy an Australian Doodle, you are buying a poodle without papers; for a high price. GD
I’ll take my German Wirehair. She hardly sheds and can actually perform useful tasks besides turning dog food bags into fertilizer.

Girl I went to HS with “breeds” them. No telling what she charges but it’s probably more than a good bird dog. Perfectly good waste of a lab or golden.
Interesting indeed.

Mine is gen 1. Daddy's a standard poodle mom is golden.

Had a vet advise me to get him neutered asap so he would keep the puppy look. She actually wanted to stunt his growth!

I let him get fully mature first.

Awesome dog.
Interesting indeed.

Mine is gen 1. Daddy's a standard poodle mom is golden.

Had a vet advise me to get him neutered asap so he would keep the puppy look. She actually wanted to stunt his growth!

I let him get fully mature first.

Awesome dog.
Snickerdoodles are great companions to black coffee

Daughter's last litter of Aussie Shepard / Golden Doodle pups were basically mostly a creamy white with either black or brown or light tan spots of various sizes and patterns and different coat textures. Most had the frizzy curly Poodle type coats but a couple had coats more like Golden Retrievers and Aussies. A couple had physical builds more like Aussies and Goldens, too. The mother dog is half white / half black spots and the dad is pretty much all creamy white and both have Poodle type coats.
Fugg the trendy designer Dog bullchit. Go rescue a dog that needs a forever home, they never forget.My good boy I have we got him at 6mos old...he will be turning 17 in 5 days. Half Lhaso and Havanese, about 24 pounds.
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42

Thanks for adding something insightful to the discussion, like you always do...
Just an indication the folks can't control their dogs.
We got our they called it a miniature golden doodle Jan 18th, it cost 4000.00 Canadian, i never used to pay that for a car, another breeder near us is now asking 5000.00 bucks, i think now i am retired i should breed dogs.
Originally Posted by Partsman
We got our they called it a miniature golden doodle Jan 18th, it cost 4000.00 Canadian, i never used to pay that for a car, another breeder near us is now asking 5000.00 bucks, i think now i am retired i should breed dogs.

Guy I went to school with years ago did the typical appalachian crash-and-burn after high school - some drug convictions, some bastard kids and child support orders, some exes with domestic violence charges against him, etc. At some point during the soap opera he got interested in akc registered beagles. Last I heard the fugger was making a fortune selling beagle pups, never worked a real job a day in his life.

Some people can fall in a pile of cow schitt and find a ten dollar bill in it.
Sister has bad allergy triggered asthma, didn't want a poodle which is hypoallergenic because...well, they're poodles. got an F1 labradoodle, great dog that inherited the hypoallergenic trait of the poodle.
Lostt her first one last year at 14yrs old and got another one, again a first gen cross. My understanding is that the 1st or 2nd gen crosses seem to be the secret to inheriting the hypoallergenic trait.
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
The faithfulness of a lab and the non-shedding of a poodle.

Having said that, they’re just the latest “must have” pet.

I saw an “Australian” doodle the other day, too and thought WTF? Just another way to add some cache to the mutt.

Bottom line - people are idiots.

Our daughter reached out to us last nite and asked what we paid for our male Airedale. She had just left a national pet store located in Frisco, Tx. Australian Doodle...$7K. I’m not kidding. I nearly passed out.
Our Aussie doodle Savanah.....hands down the sweetest dog we've ever had.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'd say I added a little more than your sorry azz. Typical, loser.

1400 posts insulting people in one year. You're in a class by yourself...that no one else wants to join.
[
1400 posts insulting people in one year. You're in a class by yourself...that no one else wants to join.

While hanging out at a local winery last year the owners were babysitting their miniature labradoodle. This dog was amazing, very smart and socialable; just a little sweetheart. I would have took her home in a minute.

I'm not home enough to have a dog but when I decide to get one a miniature labradoodle is what I'll be looking at. I will say that if it has a 2k price tag I'll take a pass.

Looks like one dumbazz in particular should learn to read????

#Dumbazz
#Fuggwad

I also want to state for the record that I'll continue to dog people like you here. Everything you get is coming to you for your arrogant attitude. You think you are something but you're not. You're just another piece of crap.

How many friends do you have here fuggface?

I also want to state for the record that I'll continue to dog people like you here. Everything you get is coming to you for your arrogant attitude. You think you are something but you're not. You're just another piece of crap.

How many friends do you have here fuggface?

I don't have internet friends. My friends are in the real world. 260 posts this year and 258 of them were in the Campfire. You just come here because you don't have a life in the real world. Your username proves it. As far as my "arrogance", that's a laugh.

I don't have internet friends. My friends are in the real world. 260 posts this year and 258 of them were in the Campfire. You just come here because you don't have a life in the real world. Your username proves it. As far as my "arrogance", that's a laugh.

Hahaha Of course you don't have any internet friends, I'm betting you don't have any in real life either because you are a loser.

You retired law enforcement and worked in a gun shop, OOOOOOOOOOH. Big man. Always talking shiet here.

The reason you don't ever have anyone agreeing with you on here is because you're a DICK. PERIOD. Live with it buttmunch and GFY

You Sir are a laugh.
15 years ago my wife(then gf) ordered a maltipoo.

He flew from south TX to southern MT.

Longest poo flight recorded at the time.

Still with us, nasty bastard, people are afraid of him.
(he is a great house friend)

Mostly blind and deaf but still navigates like a champ.

Super sniffer, he knows exactly when food is done grilling or cooking!

lol
[

Looks like one dumbazz in particular should learn to read????

#Dumbazz
#Fuggwad

Hahaha Of course you don't have any internet friends, I'm betting you don't have any in real life either because you are a loser.

You retired law enforcement and worked in a gun shop, OOOOOOOOOOH. Big man. Always talking shiet here.

The reason you don't ever have anyone agreeing with you on here is because you're a DICK. PERIOD. Live with it buttmunch and GFY

You Sir are a laugh.

I've never been law enforcement. You must have me confused with someone else. As far as working in a gunshop, yeah I did. I used my knowledge to help many here with NICS and FFl issues.

You Sir are a laugh.

I've never been law enforcement. You must have me confused with someone else. As far as working in a gunshop, yeah I did. I used my knowledge to help many here with NICS and FFl issues.

LOL, okay Loser.
We have a goldendoodle
Super smart and non shedding
Supposed to be great hunting dogs too although we have never tried with her.
Here’s mine. He likes to lay at my feet while I’m working on the wood lathe, then goes and lays on the couch and the wife gripes 😂
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]photo upload website
We have three dogs, an old Brittany, a young Bull Arab and a Standard Poodle x Standard Schnauzer. The latter is about the same size as the Brittany, and has a good deal more brains than both of the other two dogs. She's very trainable, and steady, not given to barking, and a really good dog to have around. She also doesn't shed, in very start contrast to the Britt in particular. Of course with these non-shedding qualities you do need to groom them, but a close clip is easy to do and keeps them looking neat and free of burrs and dreadlocks.
If you have the means, dogs will typically cost you something like $40,000 over their lifetime, more, possibly much more if you do anything serious with them. Whether you pay $100 for a rescue or $4000 for a purebred puppy with a promising pedigree, the purchase price is only a small part of their total expenses over the 15 to 20 years they might live. I'm not saying that a dog must cost you that much or that you can't have one for less. You don't have to pay for one of the costlier puppies. You don't have to pay for premium food. You don't have to pay for expensive veterinarian services like dental care under general anesthesia or for surgeries. You don't have to pay for a groomer or grooming tools and equipment. You don't have to pay to travel to training seminars or clubs. But the more of your time and your families time that you invest in a dog, and you have the money, the less you will be willing to be stingy and cheap about those things. You won't be able to hold onto your money while the companion you've invested so much of yourself in has a need that can be met with that money. The money will flow in the beginning to give them the best start. The money will flow in the middle to make the most of whatever you do together. The money will flow in the end to give them whatever they need to enjoy those last years because by then you'll owe them that.

I am not going to give you my opinion about doodles or mixed breeds or mutts or pure-bred breeders or the AKC or FCI. The fact is there are scams and scammers among them all. Caveat Emptor. The opinion that I will give is that anyone who will invest as much time and money as I have into a dog would be a fool not to do everything in their power to start with the right dog. I can't tell you what the right dog is for you. What I would suggest is to identify the things you want to do with the dog and the types or breeds of dogs that are well-suited (or selectively bred) for those things. Then, do not look for available pups. That seems like a logical next step but it's a big mistake. Do not go to any breeder or puppy seller who has pups available. They will just be trying to sell out a litter in 8 weeks. Instead, go to the people that are doing something with the dogs. If you want a dog that doesn't do anything, I can't help you. There are training clubs and events for the things that dogs do and the dogs that do them. Of course, they will notice you don't have a dog and will try to help you fix that, but don't let them do that. Become a fixture there for as long as it takes to be absolutely sure what you want and where you will find it.
Great with kids, highly intelligent, and never shed. Ever.

They dont drink 8 fingers of cheap bourbon every night, and typically dont have diabetes or size 46 waist, so some guys lash out.
Originally Posted by auk1124
[ the fugger was making a fortune selling beagle pups, never worked a real job a day in his life.

Sure he did.
Doodles...
Had two of them in our obedience class. One night we were doing distance recalls. One doodle was always having issues with staying in place. The lady who owned the dog put the doodle in sit stay and walked to the other end of the training area. She calls her dog on command, the doodle runs up to her and sits in front of her picture perfect. She gives the "finish" command, the doodle gets up and walks to the right of the woman and turns to walk behind her. The dog walks behind the woman, all of a sudden you see a doodle head pop out between the woman's legs. The woman is standing there with a doodle head bearing that stupid grin of theirs sticking out of her crotch. We usually spread dog toys and treats in the area that the dog has to run through, there's a 50/50 change her dog will stop for a snack when doing the recall drills.
The other doodle has the same name as my mutt. Part of the training routine is to line up all of the dogs against a wall in a single file. We all put our dogs in either a sit, down or stand stay and then walk to the other side of the area. We then do recalls individually. I can call her dog off stay just by using a firm voice when I recall my mutt. Doodles... grin
We have a mini goldendoodle and he's a smart little guy. Lots of personality and fun. His sister from the same litter is next door. He's been a great companion for my wife when she was dealing with kidney disease.
His sister is the darker one.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
24hrcampfire, where even a dog thread turns into a five page "Call out" thread.
Poodles are very smart and obedient dogs that don't shed. That's what got the doodle designer breeds launched. I am pretty regular at a dog park where there are obviously a lot of the doodle breeds. I have yet to see one that was well trained, obedient, smart and not somewhat aloof and goofy. Can I call that galoof?
I find most people buy a dog for looks, often not considering what temperament or traits the dog might have. Others research it and think they have to reinvent the wheel with something exotic or different. I say this because with a good lab I can’t imagine there really being a much better all around dog. I have had 3. The first was dang near human and knew what kind of mood I was in when I walked into the door. That damn dog in some ways knew me more than a person could. He never thought of himself as a dog either. When I die I want that dog with me. The second lab was a bust and didn’t care if you liked him or not. The 3rd has been great, the kids fight over who gets to have him sleep with them. He senses things going on in our family. He is also a pointing lab on birds. Doesn’t really shed after he has gotten older. The kids ride him and do all sorts of crap to him and he just loves it. I have a buddy that tried the wheel reinvention and paid 3 grand for a poodle pointer. Complete azzhat of a dog. Just get a decent lab. The one we have now my dad got for free and gave to me as my Christmas present one year,
Cane Corso
We got one five years ago. Mostly because they don’t shed, our twin grandsons are allergic. At first I was skeptical, but he is a very good dog, loyal, smart, and happy go lucky. Loves most people and very protective of his. Loves to play fetch, the water and sleep. I think I’ll keep him.
Here he is, 55 pounds of twisted steel and sex appeal, Sailor Boy. Named after one of Teddy Rosevelts dogs.

Originally Posted by Partsman
i think now i am retired i should breed dogs.

I think you could get charged with animal abuse /perversion for that. smile

And as for not ever shedding, there is a caveat. If bred 50/50 there is a 25% chance any particular one of the litter WILL shed. Simple genetics. A person I met in Kotzebue had a GR/Poodle mix - $5,000 worth - that shed like any GR.

WJ- I think based on 50 years of dogs owning me, that your $40,000 AVERAGE is way out of the park by a factor of nearly 4. An individual one with medical problems, sure.

$1,000 annual average x 12 years for my Labs and Lab mixes is about right. Worth every penny.

I ain't even gonna talk about my wife's first Dachshund. For one thing, I never inquired about the final vet bill for his last 2 months.

If you have to consider the cost of owning a dog responsibly, you probably can't afford one.

My daughter has two doodles. They are sweet. BTW, she’s a Vet and that was her choice.
Just get a poodle that is expected to finish at 12 inches or taller.

I really miss ours.
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I have a buddy that tried the wheel reinvention and paid 3 grand for a poodle pointer. Complete azzhat of a dog. Just get a decent lab. The one we have now my dad got for free and gave to me as my Christmas present one year,

Poodle-pointer or pudelpointer? There’s a difference. One is a mutt, the other is bred to hunt.
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
I have a buddy that tried the wheel reinvention and paid 3 grand for a poodle pointer. Complete azzhat of a dog. Just get a decent lab. The one we have now my dad got for free and gave to me as my Christmas present one year,

Poodle-pointer or pudelpointer? There’s a difference. One is a mutt, the other is bred to hunt.

pudelpointer. its an annoying dog, all of the so called uber hunting breeds don't make very good family dogs. just get a freaking lab, trying to reinvent the wheel with dogs never is a good idea.
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad

pudelpointer. its an annoying dog, all of the so called uber hunting breeds don't make very good family dogs. just get a freaking lab, trying to reinvent the wheel with dogs never is a good idea.

cmon how many pudel pointers have you owned and trained and hunted behind?
I have hunted Standard Poodles for over 20 years.They are actually from Germany and were bred as hunters.They are super smart and love to hunt.I have used them on Ducks,Geese,Pheasant and Grouse.I bought mine from a breeder who bred ones known to hunt although I did get one that was not from that same stock and he worked out good also.Some of the most loyal dogs I have hunted with.I did not give them Poodle cuts and most people did not know what they were.They are very athletic and can go all day.Do`nt buy one unless you have time to train and work them.They are high energy dogs and need to be worked.
My wife and I are dog people, always have been, (I am always weary of those who HATE dogs, like deflave)

We have had Goldens and labs, but our two current Golden Doodles are the best dogs we have EVER had.

[Linked Image]

Stella, our 5 YO female, is super sweet pup. Every 2 weeks I meet with a family friend who is a nurse, and we take Stella to the nursing home. (I am not allowed inside). But I drink a coffee outside for an hour and Stella comes out, tail wagging, and she makes a lot of folks happy.

Finn, the darker pup, is 1 YO. He has the best nose of any dog I have ever owned, which is saying something. He already has about 3 dozen sharpies and huns under his belt from ND this year.

Smart as hell, no shedding. Best dogs ever.
Close up of the North Dakota Upland bird slayer this year

[Linked Image]
Chicks dig doodles. LOL, they are cute and quirky, exemplified by Sailor.
© 24hourcampfire