Home
Any oldtimers have anything else?

[Linked Image from img1.etsystatic.com]
[Linked Image]
church keys, oil can spouts, phone dialing stylus, flasher depth finders
Russ, I can't find a picture of the old air tubes they used at JC Penney, to send up to the clerk up in her booth to make change.
Copper tea pot

Wood stove clothing iron
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Russ, I can't find a picture of the old air tubes they used at JC Penney, to send up to the clerk up in her booth to make change.

There is a bank near by that still uses these.
Speaking of Do Do

I got a large pizza and a 3 piece catfish dinner that needs to make like a baby and head on out.
Common sense, work ethic.
The medication thread has me thinking of Cappers Weekly Magazine., and their insurance.

My father-in-law made money when he was in a hospital. Different policy's would all pay.
bumper jacks, steel fishing poles, western Auto
Originally Posted by MPat70

Wood stove clothing iron

Sad iron. I use them for door stops.
Wide white sidewall tires, fender skirts, hand chokes.

Jelly glasses! I haven't seen one for thirty years.

Jelly glasses! I haven't seen one for thirty years.

Same as snuff glasses!
Spittoons'. Even an ash tray!!
You may be old enough to remember these wabigoon??

[Linked Image from thumbs2.imagebam.com]
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR

Looks like a White Rose gas pump?
I thought you meant the Republican Party!

Got a request for $$$$ from them today. Be a cold day in hell when I send a friggin dime....bunch of do-nuthin bastids!!
husking glove, sorghum crusher, wood fired cowboy heaters
Jake used this heater during the cold snap.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]
Jake used this heater during the cold snap.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
chunks of tires work well. Most will not know what it is. Like the scoop shovel and rock
Russ, I've never seen the lid. That old heater must be older than I am.

I'm looking for another one.
Originally Posted by blanket

Glad bumper jacks are gone.
Wabigoon,

Is that cork a replacement for a plastic screw on one?
Frank, that is a web image. I well remember the corks.
Stamped steel raised letter/number license plates made inexpensively with convict labor.
Found this one at the edge of the corn field out back last summer. I don't usually find them
in this good of shape.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Steel beer cans, funnel top screw cap.
Heet gas line antifreeze, same style can.
Kodachrome, vent windows, fender skirts, 8 track, cassette, vinyl.
White wall tires, a spare tire, and manual trannys.
Russ, I've never seen the lid. That old heater must be older than I am.

I'm looking for another one.
good luck, high scrap prices in the 70's killed a lot of old things like that. We used to fire with corncobs, then add wood and tires. Saved a lot of work chopping and throwing
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

yes, killed a few
was corks held by the cup
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR

Looks like a White Rose gas pump?

Close, it's a Standard Oil visi-pump globe. Each color they had represented the grade of fuel. I have the gold one pictured along with a red and green.
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Patriots for Govt office.
Copper tea pot

Wood stove clothing iron

We have four of those!
who remembers falling on your azz carrying a glass bottle thermos filled with soup on your way to school
Bleck slaves. Just white ones now.

White commercials.

Schmidt Scenics. From my Beer Can Collector's Bible. Gotta have the "Bull" in there too.

Originally Posted by Nollij

Schmidt Scenics. From my Beer Can Collector's Bible. Gotta have the "Bull" in there too.

chit I have drank from most of them
who remembers falling on your azz carrying a glass bottle thermos filled with soup on your way to school

my old man used to like to carry one of those half/half hot tea and brandy when deer hunting. one bitter cold morning as we were putting on our coats at the truck getting read to spend the day on stand and he dropped his and the inside shattered. i thought he was going to start crying. me and my brothers splurged and bought him one of those new fangled steel thermos for christmas. i still have it.
Originally Posted by rem141r

my old man used to like to carry one of those half/half hot tea and brandy when deer hunting. one bitter cold morning as we were putting on our coats at the truck getting read to spend the day on stand and he dropped his and the inside shattered. i thought he was going to start crying. me and my brothers splurged and bought him one of those new fangled steel thermos for christmas. i still have it.
I remember throwing a glass vacuum bottle across a marsh after falling. Could not afford a stainless. Started carrying a can and wire to make tea
[Linked Image]
More crap I've accumulated. The Hamm's cans came from the in-laws farm. They had been buried
since the early 60's. The 3.2 blues.

Being able to push start the old pickup when it's cold. These days they're all autos. If there was the least question, you parked aiming downhill when off hunting somewhere.

That's pretty cool.
I really appreciate those kind of antiques. They last and last.
I've only seen them, the corks turned into gaskets or wine bottle stoppers for commercial use.
And I thought my Aladdin Thermoses were vintage because they were the last ones made in the USA.
I.was surprised to see the USA stamp, so I bought them all and gave them as gifts to friends and family.
They replaced the inventory at the same store with the same looking Chinese imports the next time.
Country music, When!
Cars with left-hand-threaded nuts on one side.

Bruce
Originally Posted by bcp

Bruce

True that, we have a torch cart made from an old Pontiac axel. I should tell Jake about that.
Dimmer switches on the floor, 16โ€ tires on 3/4 ton trucks with two doors & eight foot beds.
Party lines, everybody knew everybody's business. laugh
I used to replace them damn glass thermos liners about every month. The were great insulators when not broken.

Got the SS bottles as soon as they were available.
Right at 51 years old. Don't see many around.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Wood stove clothing iron

Sad iron. I use them for door stops.

So do I smile
Points, condensers and spark plugs. Did 100's of those in the day as a mechanic. They call the part's changers "technicians" these days. Most now, could not do an engine overhaul or valve job. They shop them out to a machinist.

I still own a dwell meter and timing light. LOL! I could still static time an engine, after an overhaul and have it start within 5 seconds.
Originally Posted by bcp

Bruce

True that, we have a torch cart made from an old Pontiac axel. I should tell Jake about that.

You sure it is not a dodge axel
25 cent gas!
Originally Posted by bcp

Bruce

Axle. ๐Ÿ˜
Three cent stamps!
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Being able to push start the old pickup when it's cold. These days they're all autos. If there was the least question, you parked aiming downhill when off hunting somewhere.

You could still push start a powergluide
My 7 year old made the โ€œsnippetsโ€ section of our once weekly hometown newspaper the other day. She was working in my sisters jewelry store and called my mom. On the stores landline phone. Sheโ€™d never even seen one. All excited about it and the newspaper lady heard her excitement as she told grandma about the cord it had.
Common sense. Though frankly, I don't think it was ever all that common to begin with...
25 cent gas!

Thats actually still here.

Or was before the switch to the "profit" blend...
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by bcp

Bruce

Axle. ๐Ÿ˜

Nazi
Originally Posted by Cecil56
Points, condensers and spark plugs. Did 100's of those in the day as a mechanic. They call the part's changers "technicians" these days. Most now, could not do an engine overhaul or valve job. They shop them out to a machinist.

I still own a dwell meter and timing light. LOL! I could still static time an engine, after an overhaul and have it start within 5 seconds.

Long ago, in a place far far away, I owned a '54 Bel-Aire. Had to replace the distributor. No timing light or dwell meter. Got it in, got it running, timed it by ear. Drove a few miles to a family friend's garage. He put the light to it and said "Not bad, you're 2 degrees off"

I do think I had a feeler gauge for the points, but I've done them with a matchbook cover. Which I'd guess is fitting in this thread as I hardly ever see a matchbook anymore, unless it's one I run across while digging through a tool box.
Originally Posted by Cecil56

It wasn't rocket science...
To many it's like alchemy.
Rotary telephone sets, typewriters, pencil sharpener, carbon paper, jello molds
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by bcp

Bruce

Axle. ๐Ÿ˜

Nazi

And...?
Polaroid Land Cameras
Originally Posted by bcp

Bruce

Axle. ๐Ÿ˜

Nazi

And...?

Axel, Axle, Axil, Axl,

deys all meens da same fing, no?
[Linked Image from img.hmn.com]

[Linked Image from img-9gag-fun.9cache.com]
Don't see many like this any more:

Originally Posted by 12344mag

That's a big one!
The Bill of Rights, and the Rest of the Constitution....
Originally Posted by BLR284
Dimmer switches on the floor, 16โ€ tires on 3/4 ton trucks with two doors & eight foot beds.
And the starter on the floor. I think the key starter is a big improvement but the floor mounted dimmer was easy and simple to fix. You didn't have to dismantle the steering column to fix it.
My dad was a mechanic. For some years, he worked for a Dodge dealer. Dodge cars for a long time in the 50's had weak 3 spd transmissions and he kind of specialized in replacing them. He fabricated some special tools for it. He had all the tools and jacks on a special creeper. He would roll under the car and come out 20 min later with the job done. The book rate was 2 hrs and he got paid for that anyway. He made a lot of money doing it.

About those pull out choke knobs. He did a tune up for a lady. She was back a few days later and said the car wouldn't run right. Dad adjusted it again but never found a problem. A few days later she was back again with the same complaint. His boss told him to get it fixed. He went for a test drive with the lady and had her drive to figure out what she was talking about. After she started the car, she pulled out the choke knob and hung her purse on it.
Originally Posted by bcp

Bruce

Axle. ๐Ÿ˜

Nazi

And...?

Axel, Axle, Axil, Axl,

deys all meens da same fing, no?

[Linked Image from i.imgflip.com]
I do miss the vent windows in a truck.

Okay...I will play this one.

You won't get to see many of these laying around, particularly in Australia.

And yes, they really are leather, not vinyl like most of the crap you see.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

There is a bank near by that still uses these.

Same here.
Corded drills.
Originally Posted by bcp

Bruce

I have a 1937 Pontiac coupe with left hand nuts on the driver's side.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Okay...I will play this one.

You won't get to see many of these laying around, particularly in Australia.

And yes, they really are leather, not vinyl like most of the crap you see.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I like that floor!
Clothes lines.
When you could talk to a person on a phone to solve a problem!
Does anyone remember the portable water heaters they used to set up in 55 gallon drums to provide hot water for field mess halls in the military ? I think they were gasoline fired?
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
Does anyone remember the portable water heaters they used to set up in 55 gallon drums to provide hot water for field mess halls in the military ? I think they were gasoline fired?

Yes I do.

Yes I do.

Yup. We used em at 29 Palms.

One of my hunting buds and our town scoutmaster had one we used in hunting camp and at BS camp. We called it the V2!

Yes I do.

One of my hunting buds and our town scoutmaster had one we used in hunting camp and at BS camp. We called it the V2!

Bob, my brother was a Marine! He called the place, '29 Stumps".
When only women wore earrings!
You guys don't have a clothes line still?
Electric socks. Replaced by the cheap chemical warmer inserts.

[Linked Image from ae01.alicdn.com]
We do Jim, the wires are all coiled on the end, it's been years since anyone used it.
We too have a solar clothes dryer. It is also used for hanging all sorts of items needing hosing down including tarps and tents.
Garmin 76csx marine GPS. It is a serial download interface that Garmin dropped. I have over a $$-grand in this licensed product. Garmin will not release the lock codes even on an obsolete product. I hate that fuggin company!
church keys, oil can spouts, phone dialing stylus, flasher depth finders

Lotsa guys still use and prefer dial flasher sonar for purposes of ice-fishing. They still sell a lot of them to this market. Iโ€™m not one of them, but theyโ€™re very much still in production and use.
You guys don't have a clothes line still?

I have a wire fence that works just fine. Used it the other day as a matter of fact. I cannot see burning electrons or carbon molecules when there's a giant clothes drier in the sky behind the house. And my clothes smell great.

Of course, I don't have neighbors burning tires. Might get the odd sparrow turd on a shirt now and then.

That was high tech. Our Penneys had the old cable system where the little canister was sent up a cable to the business office upstairs by a whack from a spring loaded knocker gizmo.

Yes I do.

Bob, my brother was a Marine! He called the place, '29 Stumps".

Yup! Beautiful Camp Wilson!
Originally Posted by Nollij

"They drink the beer that is known as Schmidt; they only taste for the best."

Got THAT right... Lotta people got hurt/killed using one of those things..
Stove heated women's curling irons.

Coonskin coats.
highways with curbs
ice milk
Forever Yours candy bars
town dumps
6-girl basketball
May baskets
consolation games at basketball tournaments
Anyone mention brace and bit, hand crank ice cream coolers?
No, or square sockets. and square head bolts, and nuts.
Hand crank starting engines.
Congolene!
whale oil, Stillson wrenches, 2 men saws, sealskin coats
When only women wore earrings!

And they had their natural hair color! And weren't covered in tattoos! And wore skirts and dresses, and were actually feminine!
Congolene!

Bob, you make me look up more words! laugh
Sen-Sen, Binaca, Brylcreme, Marfak, Butch Wax, Stuckey's, HoJo, Automat Cafe, Herter's, Montgomery Ward, Hudson, Desoto, Plymouth, Studebaker, Oldsmobile...

Edit to add: Cloverleaf Salve
whale oil, Stillson wrenches, 2 men saws, sealskin coats

I have seen real Stilsons from my Dad and Pop-pop.
Brylecreme is still around.
Originally Posted by Stophel

Back when the hot dogs were hot dogs and not those awful, greasy, all-beef abominations and the chili on them was orange like it should have been, not the red stuff they have now.
Radio music that did not corrode the speakers.
Gasoline engine powered washing machine.
Girls girdle's.
Three on the tree.
Tri-power carbs.
mom and pop general stores all over Iowa, pickle jars on the counter, butter sold by the stick
Gas station pump jockies that checked your oil, tire pressure andcleaned your windshield.
Awwwooogaa horns.
Flight attendants (stewardess) that looked good and brought good food and drinks.
Home made slingshots made from a cherry tree branch and bicycle tubes.
Elk in Southwest MN.

Saturday morning radio programs. Let's pretend, Gun Smoke, Boston Blackie.
Getting dressed up in your best and taking your girl out for dinner.
the coffee grinder at the a&p. whole aisle smelled like roasted coffee. and not this sissy, latte, grande, 5 bucks a cup schit either. real a&p or maxwell house fresh ground coffee in the foil bag.
We've got a Thermos brand vacuum bottle - with the cork stopper (designed that way)
Multiple "church keys"
Washboards - including a glass one
Hamms , Schlitz, and Coors cans - all old
Jack stands made of old axle housings
Dump rake
Studebaker pick up
Ferguson TO 35
Ford 8N
Saddle made by Steuben
Colt Bisley 32-20
Marlin take-down 32-20
Some small bottles labeled "Edison Oil"
Many I can't remember
The Aladdin oil lamps, they make that soft hissing sound, but put out a nice light, especially when the power is off!

We have a one litter bottle of kerosene, just in case.
Originally Posted by Redneck

Got THAT right... Lotta people got hurt/killed using one of those things..

Bumpers you could jack on...
White margarine in a plastic bag, and a small bag of dye inside to break and mix by, kneading, to make it yellow.

Bruce
Pterodactyls
© 24hourcampfire