Home
My wife showed me a posting from Facebook that had a trailer full of dead Axis and some blackbucks that had been picked up from the freeze. I believe it was around Menard.

Off course YMMV as to the validity to this story, is was on FB after all.

Maybe some of the fire members that way can verify.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...4-76eb-11eb-9537-496158cc5fd9_story.html
Seale said he is working with the Texas agriculture commissioner to ensure that exotic losses are counted the same way that livestock and crop losses are assessed for federal disaster declarations.

Comparing exotic game to crops and livestock is BS. Exotic game shouldn't qualify for any kind of disaster relief, same as all the illegals in the US of A.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Comparing exotic game to crops and livestock is BS. Exotic game shouldn't qualify for any kind of disaster relief, same as all the illegals in the US of A.

In TX exotic game is officially classified by the state as livestock and not as game animals. Wild hogs are classified as varmints though. That is just the way it is.
Seale said he is working with the Texas agriculture commissioner to ensure that exotic losses are counted the same way that livestock and crop losses are assessed for federal disaster declarations.

So someone buys, raises and sells exotics. Gets wiped out by blizzard = No claim.

His neighbor buys, sells and raises Boar goats. Gets wiped out by the blizzard = Valid claim.

Sorry. I don't see much difference.

That’s quite a write up.

Hate to see this.
Old Toot,

Daughter and SIL are friends with thise folks at Valkyrie ranch. Just other side of the county here.

Barry!

Hell for that matter with exception to the American Bison, all other bovines in the new world are basically exotics! Good argument!! 😉
I bet it didn’t kill any of those Aoudad bastards.
Exotics are a business, no different than any other high end business. Ranchers invest their money in them hoping for a profit in hunting. They're raised and sold like any other livestock so I see no reason that they shouldn't be treated like any other farm animals. The method of harvest is different than cattle but they're still harvested, hopefully for a profit.
Originally Posted by hanco

🤣🤣🤣🤣. Probably not!

There’s a blackbuck ranch about 3 miles from my place. All they do is raise and sell them. They are not hunted. They are stock. Any given time there are at least 500 or so out in the field. Appears even tho they tried to put up makeshift sheltering appears they lost over 1/2 their herd.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

🤣🤣🤣🤣. Probably not!

There’s a blackbuck ranch about 3 miles from my place. All they do is raise and sell them. They are not hunted. They are stock. Any given time there are at least 500 or so out in the field. Appears even tho they tried to put up makeshift sheltering appears they lost over 1/2 their herd.

Man !

Damn is about all one can say.

I was planning a hunt with Mulie Mike later this year.
From a conservation standpoint, the land would be better off without exotics at all---IMO. But, you have to consider the fact that, as kaywoodie said, all bovines other than bison in North America are exotics. The simple fact of the matter is that we opened Pandora's box long, long ago and we're committed to managing the environment. I'd have to side with those raising these animals.
Last I checked, cows, pigs, goats, sheep and chickens are exotics...... n'est-ce pas?
So...i am supposed to prop up private business yet again? Nice.
Been wondering if the cold put a smack down on the feral hogs?

LOL
Cold doesn't kill-off all the African animals... Chicago gets cold..... Minneapolis gets cold.....
You guys don't see the difference between raising cattle that can endure the weather, and bringing in an African animal that cannot? If you're raising a fragile species, better build a barn. Can't afford one? Not taxpayers problem.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Cold doesn't kill-off all the African animals... Chicago gets cold..... Minneapolis gets cold.....

Winner, winner,.....

But we provide them with food and shelter.
Well it sucks for the dudes that are taking a hit money wise.
Have ta be part of the game having exotics from Africa or wherever being part of your income from having pay hunts.

Other than that I bet this wasnt being sung by African animals during the snowmageddon in Tx.

Originally Posted by ironbender
Been wondering if the cold put a smack down on the feral hogs?

Hell no, them MF er’s are tough.
Would they have enough sense to get in a barn??
If they are business commodity buy insurance or suffer the consequences,
Why should taxpayers bail them out
Damned fool animals didn't plan ahead with an alternate heat source.

Kinda like comparing a Kudzoo farmer with a Peach grower...
Sorry, I just don't see exotic game as a commodity. Make no mistake, I feel for those who lost their azz and their animals. I bought a few bulls a couple of weeks ago and also bought insurance on them before they were loaded in my trailer. Most of us don't want the government in our stuff and can fend for ourselves if government would just stay the heck out of the way.
"Most of us don't want the government in our stuff and can fend for ourselves if government would just stay the heck out of the way."

I can certainly agree with that!
north African species are not made for -2 degree temps
i just hope it kills some mosquitos and bugs
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

So someone buys, raises and sells exotics. Gets wiped out by blizzard = No claim.

His neighbor buys, sells and raises Boar goats. Gets wiped out by the blizzard = Valid claim.

Sorry. I don't see much difference.

Zero difference really. Only thing I can say though is if you raise animals that can't stand the extreme shouldn't that basically be your risk? How many cattle froze to death?

Other than that no difference.

I've always said when the exotics die in cold weather what did you expect when you know they can't handle it.
© 24hourcampfire