Home
This spring 5 Oregon counties are voting on whether to leave OR and join ID. Even if it passes, the OR government has to agree and I can't see that happening. Then both Idaho and congress have to agree. I haven't heard much lately about what CA thinks about it. The obstacles in front of this are huge.
It would be interesting for Idaho to have ocean frontage.

[Linked Image from opb-opb-prod.cdn.arcpublishing.com]
I would like it to happen , but there is no chance of it
Can’t blame them for trying even though it’s never going to happen. Most of Northern California has wanted out for a long time.
There’s probably a lot of counties that would like to join Idaho
I used to live in Oregon 25 years ago. It was amazing back then. A hidden gem. Now it's a crap hole. If this happened, I'd consider going back in a heartbeat.
Doesn't the rest of Oregon/Cal have something to say about it too?

They'll not release their prisoners so easily I'm thinking.
The population centers and their representatives do not want to do things for the people, but TO them.
If I wanted to live in Idaho, I'd move to Idaho. Give it a couple more election cycles and Idaho will be blue anyway.
With a little time out to deal with the Japs, the Jefferson State movement has been simmering since 1940...to no avail. But the big difference this time is ...this is a boundary change, as opposed to the the Jefferson movement which is forming a new state. As far as the California counties go, I was made aware at a meeting recently of a situation that could prevent the California mountain counties getting away from Sacramento, regardless of the method. The simple fact is, the mountain counties generate the WATER to sustain 1/3 of US vegetable production and 2/3 of the US fruit and nut production, not to mention clean sustainable hydropower, not to mention lumber production. The big money ag simply will not let the golden goose out of the pen.
Would it be crazy to prefer to see states split into smaller ones? A big state like that will still be run by its population centers. More small states would have a better chance of canceling out another, liberal voting state.
Vote NO!!!
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
If I wanted to live in Idaho, I'd move to Idaho. Give it a couple more election cycles and Idaho will be blue anyway.

Oregon is better for you
OR isn't going to give up half of their coastline and Crater Lake even if there was nothing else they wanted to keep.
Much of Eastern WA would love to split from the left coast.
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I used to live in Oregon 25 years ago. It was amazing back then. A hidden gem. Now it's a crap hole. If this happened, I'd consider going back in a heartbeat.

Eastern Oregon is some beautiful country. Thought of retiring there but the state is ruined, Even see tons of OR plates in Idaho now of people fleeing Oregon
I’m think of it could happen greater Idaho would look like this

https://mk0brilliantmaptxoqs.kinsta...ymapshadedbyvoteshare-600x380.png?p=2589[img]http://https://mk0brilliantmaptxoqs.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016nationwidecountymapshadedbyvoteshare-600x380.png?p=2589[/img]
[img]http://https://mk0brilliantmaptxoqs.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016nationwidecountymapshadedbyvoteshare-600x380.png?p=2589[/img]
Ok so I suck at posting pictures
But I’m racking up a killer post count for the day
I sure as hell hope it never happens. I'd rather not have all the additional hunters from Oregon and possibly Washington flooding Idaho.

If Eastern Oregon and Eastern Washington are so fed up with their western counterparts then it makes more sense for Eastern Oregon and Eastern Washington and any northern California counties to combine and form a new state.

Leave Idaho out of it.
Zero chance that any state legislature will vote to give up any tax base.
If they joined, would former Oregonians insist on hiring flunkies to pump their gas? Would they demand that weed be legalized (it's not in ID)?
Originally Posted by idelkslayer

If Eastern Oregon and Eastern Washington are so fed up with their western counterparts then it makes more sense for Eastern Oregon and Eastern Washington and any northern California counties to combine and form a new state.

Leave Idaho out of it.

This sums up my feelings about it.

drover
Coming soon to an oceanfront property not so near you..
The Idaho Navy.

Imagine though Oregon will no longer have to share a border with California....
I could see people voting for that...
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Zero chance that any state legislature will vote to give up any tax base.

Truth. As much as I'd like to see it happen it's all a pipe dream.
I'm getting a little depressed with the last holdouts going so liberal. And a little confused with this movement. What is the point? Idaho is already well on its way to becoming another Colorado. Montana is further down the same path. And now even Wyoming is seeing a bunch of move ins. There's a county in Colorado that has a push to join Wyoming. Like we want another 300k+ residents, that will have the advantages of being a Wyoming resident, but will still largely commute back to Colorado for work and shopping.

There is probably a great deal of truth to that statement.

L.W.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

There is probably a great deal of truth to that statement.

L.W.

Not until the Treasure Valley becomes overpopulated like Portlandia and can drag the rest of us down

Ada County perhaps in the not to distant furure but Idaho overall voted over two thirds for DJT

Idaho was almost 70% Trump vote, Oregon was barely 40% for Trump
Follow the money.
Rock Chuck...I hate to make statements that might come back to bite me, but since I do it all the time, what's to lose?. A marshmallow will have a chance in Hell before the east coast liberals in Congress allow their electoral college votes taken from them by western" deplorables". I could be wrong , I give it the same odds as Congress voting for term limits, just a little less than ZERO
Lj
Never going to happen no matter how many dreams they come up with. Part of the problem is the included the Bend, Sisters, Redmond area into their map and those areas are more blue than red these days... besides, all the bureaucracy and additional governance that would result would be more than what these people who are putting this out there realize....

There will always be dreamers, but this is never going to happen in many lifetimes.....
Originally Posted by flintlocke
With a little time out to deal with the Japs, the Jefferson State movement has been simmering since 1940...to no avail. But the big difference this time is ...this is a boundary change, as opposed to the the Jefferson movement which is forming a new state. As far as the California counties go, I was made aware at a meeting recently of a situation that could prevent the California mountain counties getting away from Sacramento, regardless of the method. The simple fact is, the mountain counties generate the WATER to sustain 1/3 of US vegetable production and 2/3 of the US fruit and nut production, not to mention clean sustainable hydropower, not to mention lumber production. The big money ag simply will not let the golden goose out of the pen.

This is true in large part. Can anyone imagine the Ag community, and various municipalities, giving up control of the water in the Sacramento system, a fairly large portion of which now comes from the Klamath/Trinity system by way of pumping over the mountains? Where this new entity could perhaps charge what the water's really worth, or worse, close the tap? Never gonna happen.

And according to some sources, the State of Jefferson movement started back in the 1850's, in various iterations.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=The+State+of+Jefferson&ia=web

As flintlocke mentions, this movement to split So OR & NorCal from their respective States has been and 'issue" for many years. I don't see this variation of a boundary change gaining much more traction than any other attempt.
Originally Posted by idelkslayer
I sure as hell hope it never happens. I'd rather not have all the additional hunters from Oregon and possibly Washington flooding Idaho.

Leave Idaho out of it.

Oregon might not want all those ID hunters coming over after their elk and deer either, by your line of reasoning.

To true...My newest full-time neighbors are from Washington and Oregon..

Jayco👍
Eastern Washington has wanted out from under the thumb of Olympia. If parts of Oregon and Washington joined Idaho the new state would be wildly successful and one hell of a force to be reckoned with. 👍
Originally Posted by Sheister
Never going to happen no matter how many dreams they come up with. Part of the problem is the included the Bend, Sisters, Redmond area into their map and those areas are more blue than red these days... besides, all the bureaucracy and additional governance that would result would be more than what these people who are putting this out there realize....

There will always be dreamers, but this is never going to happen in many lifetimes.....
Look closer. The map excludes Bend and Sister. Redmond is in it.
Cut to the chase. Never going to happen. Ever. For many of the reasons stated above.
It would have to pass each of 3 major hurdles:
OR legislature - not a chance
ID legislature - I don't know what they'd do
congress - most likely not when the libs are in power

This is unfortunately true.

Bb
Wish it would, but not betting on it. Need some method for excluding Boise, however,
The only plausible argument would be a parallel with Washington DC becoming a state. Or Puerto Rico... etc.

At that juncture lots of arguments could be made for the separation of California into two etc.

Border modifications in Virginia and West Virginia... Oregon and Idaho... Texas.

But the Republicans are horrible negotiators and will miss the opportunity for the argument.
Be better if eastern WA and OR could split away on the right side of the Cascade Curtain. Keep the Senate in mind.
California and Washington no bueno. Northeast Oregon, western Montana and Wyoming yes.
© 24hourcampfire