Home
Obviously one acre is more expensive than 100 acres divided by 100.

And a per acre price is even less for 800 acres.

I will start.

9.7 Acres in Sumter County Georgia cost me $14,000 in 1996. The land was nondescript. The land is probably worth less today than it was previously because of epic Democratic failures in that County.

My 0.11 acre lot in Northern Virginia is probably worth $115k... making one full acre in the area north of a mil.

Sold 42 acres in Ohio for $4,500 per acre. Crop rent was $200/year on 40 tillable.

That kinda thing.
156 acres next to me is for sale for $4500/acre. It’s nothing but bad fences, hedge, blackberry Brambles and sumac. But it’s 3 miles off the main “city” bypass and covered up in deer. If I only had $750,000....

10 acres 2 properties west of me sold for $10k/acre. Just clean grass, but the guy that bought it used it to connect two of his places.
As you said, it depends. The Mennonites here have paid as high as $14,000 an acre for farmland. If you take the Mennonite and Amish equation out of it, prime farmland would probably be worth half that .

As far as residential or commercial goes, I have no idea, as it's pretty much worth whatever you can get out of it, and it's always the old location location, location thing that determines the price.
Farming is about done in these parts.

So you have grown up fields.

Or timber land that was cut by crackhead kids and never replanted.

“Worthless” land Around here is about $1k. Pasture land and timber goes for more.

We are rural. No big cities. Work is 30mins to hour away.
Buildable land with power under 20 acres is running 30k and acre

Timber property - off grid and off road is up to 3500 an acre with 160+ acres

Waterfront is about 1 million an acre
We hunt on friends land, 180 acres, located in a very expensive area surrounded my National Park land, about all it's good for is hunting and hiking due to the extreme contours of the land (steep hills and valleys) it has two small pothole lakes (a couple of acres each). It's on the market now for 2.7 million, that's about $15,000 an acre.
If you're looking for an acre of land with water front you're looking at between 200 & 300 K just for the lot, more if it's on Lake Michigan.
A 100' x 150' subdivision lot with utilities will run 35K and up depending on location.
Straight farm land in 100 acre lots will be $3000/acre

Too 9ucking much.......
Pffff, around here it's sold by the square inch.

Just a few years ago, I bought a house on a 9500 foot square lot for $500,000 and promptly hit it the head with an excavator.

Well, I did build another one that I sold for 1.7m.
Close to town can run up to 20,000-30,000, out farther much cheaper depending on location 1000-3000. they had 1100 acres for sale on the king ranch fence line south of town for 20'000 an acre a few years ago, 22,000,000, million.
I have a 3/4 acre lot in a nice suburb of the twin cities.

Without my house/shop the lot itself would be somewhere around 300-350k.

Land in a good location is ridiculous here.
Originally Posted by jbmi
We hunt on friends land, 180 acres, located in a very expensive area surrounded my National Park land, about all it's good for is hunting and hiking due to the extreme contours of the land (steep hills and valleys) it has two small pothole lakes (a couple of acres each). It's on the market now for 2.7 million, that's about $15,000 an acre.
If you're looking for an acre of land with water front you're looking at between 200 & 300 K just for the lot, more if it's on Lake Michigan.
A 100' x 150' subdivision lot with utilities will run 35K and up depending on location.
Straight farm land in 100 acre lots will be $3000/acre

Lot on the island here runs about that. 200-300 thousand for a lot.
Originally Posted by aalf

Too 9ucking much.......

^^^ THIS ^^^
Just bought wooded river bottom ground in Kansas with 25 acres tillable. Sets up well for deer and turkey. $2600 an acre.
Good farmland here is $5-7,000/A..
Nice acre to build on in my county goes between 10-15k. Buddy just scored 10 acres for 78k, but its just a big hill but has a great hardwood bottom with creek.

Solar panel folks are buying stuff up, we sold 70 acres of old cutover that was only good for some ok deer hunting for $6250 an acre recently. The neighbors behind that property only offered us 1500 an acre a few years prior for it.
A decent 'acre' to build residential on-$50-60K
Multiple 'decent acres' say up to five or so $20K per

Hillbilly land in bulk like my 72 $7-10K per
Minor plat, small deeded plots 20 miles from Clarksville (bigger than Billings) 1.5 acres is the minimum buildable

With only municipal water, run 35-60 K

Raw land same distance from the city center, >100 acres runs about 7000k to 12k an acre.
Just depends if you want scrubby, timber raped, hilly, ravines

Or do you want some green pasture, clear streams, some caves and springs and a 1/2 of it mature timber.
Varies a lot. Last good sized farm brought 18,000 an acre. Guy that bought it doesn't farm. Woodland about 10k an acre
A 20 acre parcel of cutover rural timberland on a paved road with utilities, suitable for a house place, is going to run you around $2,500 to $4,000 per acre in the area where I live, which is about 20 minutes outside of town. If it's a bigger tract with minimal access, no utilities, and is just timberland/hunting property (upland/mixed cutover), it'll run you about half that per acre, give or take. If it's that same 20 acres, but only 5-10 minutes from town, it might be $4,000 to $5,000 an acre.

I'm pretty much done with subdivision life, as we sold the house and moved to the woods last year. Like the song says, it's "The woman and the kids and the dogs and me". Would be tough to go back.
We bought our 275 acre wooded property for $1100/acre in 2002. A neighbor just sold similar land for $3,000/acre.
$2500-$3000 an acre in my area
I bought an acre with some waterfront last year and just appraised for $340k.

wooded unimproved, no well, or electricity land 30 min to town goes for 50 to 70 k an acre and will be probably 15 to 20 per cent higher by June. Most it is not flat or usable.

It's nuts now
Originally Posted by MAC
$2500-$3000 an acre in my area

Ive been looking at land outside of Amarillo for investment. Buddy is helping.
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Varies a lot. Last good sized farm brought 18,000 an acre. Guy that bought it doesn't farm. Woodland about 10k an acre

Would be interesting to know, at a minimum, what State you're in and perhaps even what corner of said state.
Just depends. The most expensive I have seen is $5000 acre. The cheapest I have seen it around here in the last few years was around $700 acre for 40 acres. It was harvested pine tree farm. All clay soil, several miles from the closest utility pole, and down a dirt road. On average, $1500 for clear cut, 2500 for wooded, and 3000 - 3500 for fields. If you are willing to buy 100 acres or more, you can knock some off of that. A couple of years ago, I had a friend who was trying to get his 2 brothers to go in with him on a farm that was 150 acres with food plots amd tree stands with a house and shop for $300k.
20,000. Closer to Houston is more
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Just depends. The most expensive I have seen is $5000 acre. The cheapest I have seen it around here in the last few years was around $700 acre for 40 acres. It was harvested pine tree farm. All clay soil, several miles from the closest utility pole, and down a dirt road. On average, $1500 for clear cut, 2500 for wooded, and 3000 - 3500 for fields. If you are willing to buy 100 acres or more, you can knock some off of that. A couple of years ago, I had a friend who was trying to get his 2 brothers to go in with him on a farm that was 150 acres with food plots amd tree stands with a house and shop for $300k.

sounds like quite the deal. I want to move by you

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Bought some additional/adjoining land in WV 3 weeks ago directly from my neighbor.

I know the Closing attorney from before (he prepped the deeds and Title Insurance etc.)... he is also the big shot realtor in the area.

He has been getting cold calls from out of state buyers like crazy. Although he has hundreds of listings, the buyers are wanting to buy the absolute filet mignon real estate and he has no inventory.

So, he has been calling up his neighbors, friends from church and other long time residence and saying " Johnny, I know you're not interested in selling your family farm, but I have a live one on the other phone that is willing to pay XYZ."

Johnny replies " Holy crap, are these people stupid or what? Of course I will sell for that kind of money."

I get along with this attorney very well and at closing we were chatting about this insanity... guns etc.

He said "Hold on a second, I need to get something from my office you will like it. My son just built it last week."

Out comes an AR-15 with a binary trigger.

Got to love a real estate closing where I can write a personal check to escrow and we spend 15 minutes talking about guns.

Bottomline, $500 an acre land ain't no more in West Virginia.
Haven't priced land in a while, but we bought our 40 on a "paved" (mostly potholes) road with electricity nearby in 2003 for around 72,000. As land goes, it's not very good. It's low and swampy during the fall and spring. Has no hardwoods, just poplars and pines.
Originally Posted by ribka

A white single wide with red accent trim is sublime. And the whole time I thought Jim had no class at all.

wooded unimproved, no well, or electricity land 30 min to town goes for 50 to 70 k an acre and will be probably 15 to 20 per cent higher by June. Most it is not flat or usable.

It's nuts now

Most our houses under a million on 2-10 acres are selling about 100k over zillow estimates, no sign it’s slowing down either. Maybe a shack near the beach in Hawaii wouldn’t be so bad smile

Looks like east texas
Originally Posted by hanco

Looks like east texas

Every place I've ever been in every state I've been in
has places like that ^ ^
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5-Asoleado-Dr-Carmel-Valley-CA-93924/19388757_zpid/

!550,000 / 40 = $13,000 per acre near Carmel, CA
Depends on where and what.
Right now, most any semi rural property
in this region is pretty much ridiculous.
Even landlocked parcels are way high.
" reasonable " priced land is $5000.00 an acre.
Getting a realtor involved drives it way up.
I know a man up the road that sold his not
quite 2 acres for $ 49000.00
80 some odd with a deal pending for $750000.00

I would take that in a heart beat if it were on 150 acres. Probably nicer than the schitt stain you live in.

Here locally back in late winter of 2020 3 parcels totaling 410 acres all together sold at auction for a little over $4.3 million setting a new record for agriculture ground here. Average price per acre figured out to about $10,400. The previous record for agriculture acreage was $7,600 per acre sold in 2008.

It's nuts now

Is this in Idaho?
Edge of town view property is about $40 k an acre. Little to no view about 10K.
13,000 an acre for good Sac county farm land, 140 acres. only $196,000,000.00 whistle
Originally Posted by kingston

It's nuts now

Is this in Idaho?

New Jersey
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Salmonella

Damn Sal..... sell.... Wyoming is cheap in comparison... smile
Originally Posted by Salmonella

I once saw a half / acre just outside of Durango, CO with a 1970’s era mobile home on it for only a Half Million $$$
Originally Posted by wabigoon
13,000 an acre for good Sac county farm land, 140 acres. only $196,000,000.00 whistle

Good cropland around here in N. TX is about $1100 per acre.

Little brother just built a new house on 13 acres in the Wimberly, TX area. 25 miles from Austin. He thought he got a bargain at $16K per acre with no improvements. 🤪
Are you saying a 140 acre farm is worth $196,000,000. My math is not coming up with that.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Looks like Wabi's keyboard is broke again.
Wabi is dreaming again cause the ;and next to it is his!!

As for me area, a 5 ac. parcel goes for about 100 K. Way up north it goes for about $1,500 ac and it is decent woods. Way, way up north , like Upper Michigan it is about $1,000 ac.
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Obviously one acre is more expensive than 100 acres divided by 100.

And a per acre price is even less for 800 acres.

I will start.

9.7 Acres in Sumter County Georgia cost me $14,000 in 1996. The land was nondescript. The land is probably worth less today than it was previously because of epic Democratic failures in that County.

My 0.11 acre lot in Northern Virginia is probably worth $115k... making one full acre in the area north of a mil.

Sold 42 acres in Ohio for $4,500 per acre. Crop rent was $200/year on 40 tillable.

That kinda thing.

Not remotely comparable, but "tear down" houses here in Silicon Valley on 1/8 acre regularly sell for 1.8 million. That's $14,400,000 per acre. You still have spend $$ to do the demolition.
I am not going to divulge the acreage cost here in my neck of the woods, because 1/2 the fire membership would show up and drive up the cost.
Sold and acre with 2 wells utilities abd a creek on it for 200k
House across the street from me just Closed (shy of an acre) 15 k above ask so $605,000 and it is basically a teardown.
I paid about $50k per acre
Location, location, location....

It's cheap here.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Location, location, location....

It's cheap here.

I think that just the Claw talking...
Originally Posted by roundoak
I am not going to divulge the acreage cost here in my neck of the woods, because 1/2 the fire membership would show up and drive up the cost.

What's the commute to Madison like?
$3500-$5000 acre in southeast Arkansas
Where I live now, there aren't any lots of even an acre for the most part.. House we are closing on, it's about $1000 to $1200 per acre.
I live in a rural valley area surrounded by mountains with a population around 40,000 over ~700 square miles. Much of it is agricultural that is being transformed into "ranchettes." There is also three suburban areas where most of the people are.

In the suburban areas, full 1 acre lots range from $150,000 to $250,000 based on location specifics. The lower-end will be on the outskirts and won't have any utilities or view, just scrub brush. The higher end will have at least electricity and modest mountain views.

40 acre lots are a lot more expensive because they're in more exclusive neighborhoods. There are several 40 acre parcels for sale at around $6 million each but some are less.

On the other side of the mountain, about ~30 minute drive, is where the real high prices are. There, a few acres could be $60 million.

I have a quarter acre. I could buy more but it seems like the wrong time.
Rice/,soybean land here in my area starts at 5k/acre and goes up. On my other farm 180 miles north it starts around 5.6k/acre. And it goes higher every few years.
This is one of those threads that is totally meaningless - unless the state and area are mentioned there is absolutely no way to have any idea of how to make a comparison.

For instance - I live in Idaho and I can guarantee you that an acre of land in, or near, Sun Valley is worth a lot more than an acre of land near Shoshone, Idaho.

drover
Originally Posted by drover
This is one of those threads that is totally meaningless - unless the state and area are mentioned there is absolutely no way to have any idea of how to make a comparison.

For instance - I live in Idaho and I can guarantee you that an acre of land in, or near, Sun Valley is worth a lot more than an acre of land near Shoshone, Idaho.

drover

This. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Originally Posted by drover

drover

Totally fair.

How much is 100 acres in Sun Valley? Forty Acres? 20 acres?

Per acre price.

Same with Shoshone?

High-end and low-end are completely relevant for many.

Some low end land still has value because of timber, crops or minerals.

Some high-end land comes with a homeowners association, higher taxes but there will be a Starbucks within 5 miles.
Buildable timbered acreage here (Far NW Illinois) sells for ~20-40K per acre. My FIL's 2 farms sold a year or so ago for 10K and 9.5K per acre for the home place and west farm respectively.

A buddy 40 miles west of me in Iowa sold some Wapsi river tillable bottom ground for 16.5K per...
Just thankful that we bought our properties in north Idaho in 2005 and 2008. Crazy up there these days and about the same here in the Texas Hill Country. All moot for us as we aren't selling and the boys will get it in the end.
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Looks like Wabi's keyboard is broke again.

The practical diff between 1.8M and 196M for most of us is nil
I forget how big it was, my wife, and I owned some land near Sandpoint for a short time, $40,000.
South Central Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

$750-1000 per acre on land with no buildings. If it has access to power, slightly more but not much. It’s a great deal but other people are figuring it out.
Sam's g-ma has old lake front that's at least $10k/ft.
Depends... location location location. Buying multiple acres (100+) I doubt anything around me can be had for under 5k per acre. Hill county will command 10k on up. If there's live water... it can get quite pricey. Seen home lots for 45k or more. It's absolutely insane. And it continues to rise with the influx of Californians and the like...
I’m in rural north Florida about 25 miles outside of Jacksonville. The land my single wide mobile home sits on has tripled in value in the last two years. I paid $28500 for the land and damaged double wide worth $3000. I sold the double wide off it for $3000. It stayed pretty flat in value for three years but starting about a year and a half ago prices skyrocketed. My friend is a real estate agent and I asked her what she thought she could get for my place at Christmas time and she said at least $75,000 for the 3.68 acres and whatever I could for the mobile home. Probably another $5000. County has it valued at over $100,000 so it might be worth more.
There's acres around here valued over $40k that were under forty cents 90 years ago. Totally irrelevant as are most such discussions without qualifiers. IIRC what we're on is valued in the mid 30s as it is readily developable.
Median home price $1,779,388 for my city of 25,000 in the suburbs of Seattle.
The city is appraising almost all the value on the land, which are 1/4 acres.
That calculates to ~~$6M/acre. That is government fantasy. The market price would be more like $4M/acre.

The city building department adds so much cost to building a new house, that typically all an old house is torn down but the rear foundation wall, and it is called a "remodel".

10 years ago it took $30k in permits for my neigbor to repair his house after it was hit by a tree. Imagine what they would charge now.

Originally Posted by Clarkm
Median home price $1,779,388 for my city of 25,000 in the suburbs of Seattle.
The city is appraising almost all the value on the land, which are 1/4 acres.
That calculates to ~~$6M/acre

Damn, $1.8 median...$6 million/ acre.....yikes.

It's nowhere near that here.
This place near us is going for 60K per. 11.89 acres. Epic view lot.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/35921-SW-Bald-Peak-Rd-Hillsboro-OR-97123/2081274639_zpid/
I don't put much stock in Zillow! Last year wife and I were looking at land in the north part of our county! She says hey when did you list our home on zillow, of course I hadn't! But there it was, pictures of the house from street sides. We live on a corner, with half acre on the edge of town. They had a 495,000 price tag showing! It took almost a month to get it pulled from their phoney site! Anyone else seen this with Zillow?
This ones for real. I drive past it all the time.
Originally Posted by Heym06
I don't put much stock in Zillow! Last year wife and I were looking at land in the north part of our county! She says hey when did you list our home on zillow, of course I hadn't! But there it was, pictures of the house from street sides. We live on a corner, with half acre on the edge of town. They had a 495,000 price tag showing! It took almost a month to get it pulled from their phoney site! Anyone else seen this with Zillow?

I think most properties show up on Zillow with their estimated value, my does, if you read closer is says off market.... in fine print of course. Can't hide in the new information age
1500 acre ranch in the middle of town need me is being sold by the square foot. $1 billion for 637 acres. $1.5 million an acre
Western Wisconsin 16 miles East of St Paul: $6,000 for farmland, $60,00 for subdivision lot. Kenton Michigan: $700-1,000 an acre in the woods, depending on whether or not it's seasonal access, will ever have utlities (e.g., surrounded by National Forest or not) and the quality of the timber that can be grown.

I would take that in a heart beat if it were on 150 acres. Probably nicer than the schitt stain you live in.

Jimtn pm'd and wanted me to post a pic of him dancing with a friend. He still can't figure out how to post pics on here lol. The AIDs virus I think travelled to his brain llol

Jimtn pm'd and wanted me to post a pic of him dancing with a friend. He still can't figure out how to post pics on here lol. The AIDs virus I think travelled to his brain llol

you have got it bad.......bob
Half the county though we were going belly up when my wife. and I paid $26,000 an acre for a good eighty in 1977. laugh

It was touch. and go for some years in the mid eighties. eek
Subdivision lots for middle class type homes, $80k and up to close $100k. Upper end home lots in a subdivision, $135k to $175k.
Land in the county to build on, 3-5 acres, $25K - $35K an acre.
Farmland $8k an acre up to $15K.
Mountain land in the next counties over in Pendleton WVa or Highland Va vary wildly, but as low as $1,500 an acre to $5K an acre. Depends on the size, location etc.....
Of course it's an impossible question. Sort of like asking, "how much is a car?"

You want a Ferrari or a Yugo?

The place I hunt could be bought for 1500 an acre. Lots in town. 10 to 40k for a lot. Farm land 3 to 6K an acre. Chicken company has moved in and driven the.prices up.
When I was a young man woodland in the hills went for 100 to400 an acre.
© 24hourcampfire