Home
Posted By: Jiveturkey Son's first car - 02/27/21
Youngest son just turned 18. He graduated early, & is a really good kid. I'd been trying to find him a car, but not had much luck. Was going to take him to a used lot to look at a few then I got a phone call. Turns out my aunt was selling a Lexus lx470 really cheap if I wanted it. To make a long story short we were about to buy a junk car & get took to the cleaners. Instead he got a SUV worth about 15k at a steal. My aunt & uncle are very wealthy, but we're very kind. My son still hasn't figured out all the bells & whistles. Beats the heck outta my first car.
Posted By: Grumman Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21
Congrats those are fantastic vehicles. I hope to find my son one in a few years.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21
He needs some 10” subs, a box with about 4 in it, 1000W amp
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21
Originally Posted by slumlord

I have a set a of sealed 10" MTX Black Golds in the garage.

450-500 watt Earthquake amp.

Probably let the package go for $1k.

#safari
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21
Bet he will like that one, you may not when it comes to parts. Much better than my first one, a '65 Ford Galaxy. Bought it from a High School buddy who got drafted, he didn't make it back.
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21

No man, I'm telling ya he's a good kid. He plays guitar, mostly old country & rock. No rap garbage.
His 1st vehicle is nicer than anything I've driven. I dread when it needs a repair, I imagine parts cost a fortune.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
Youngest son just turned 18. He graduated early, & is a really good kid. I'd been trying to find him a car, but not had much luck. Was going to take him to a used lot to look at a few then I got a phone call. Turns out my aunt was selling a Lexus lx470 really cheap if I wanted it. To make a long story short we were about to buy a junk car & get took to the cleaners. Instead he got a SUV worth about 15k at a steal. My aunt & uncle are very wealthy, but we're very kind. My son still hasn't figured out all the bells & whistles. Beats the heck outta my first car.

A very good and safe vehicle for him.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21
Great vehicle for a senior. Your aunt and uncle are solid.
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Bet he will like that one, you may not when it comes to parts. Much better than my first one, a '65 Ford Galaxy. Bought it from a High School buddy who got drafted, he didn't make it back.

What engine was in 65 galaxy? 390 or 352.
Originally Posted by MarkWV
Great vehicle for a senior. Your aunt and uncle are solid.

It's a 2005, but in pristine condition. I'm very thankful they thought of him.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21
Gotta lower just the back end......

“Coon hunting” they call it.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

It comes factory with hydraulic suspension, but I told him not to mess with it. Afraid it'll tear up.

No man, I'm telling ya he's a good kid. He plays guitar, mostly old country & rock. No rap garbage.
His 1st vehicle is nicer than anything I've driven. I dread when it needs a repair, I imagine parts cost a fortune.

I played country and Foghat, duh on my subs down at the mudhole
😃
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21
289 2 barrel.. No power steering either. Powder blue 2 door.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21

My first car was a 66 Galaxy with 390.

I pulled a homemade trailer with my flat trackers with it. Huge trunk for tool boxes, coolers and all manner of chit.
LED light bars on it

tinted windows

Browning sticker, 30-A sticker, vols orange flip flops sticker

😃🤘🏻😎👏🏻

It comes factory with hydraulic suspension, but I told him not to mess with it. Afraid it'll tear up.

I doubt that’ll hurt it.

Drive it and enjoy it.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21
That's a blessing.
🚗
I've heard police say that his age group are like magnets to them. They don't hesitate to write them up. This is even more true for a sports car category. This makes it doubly good.
This sounds more than ideal.

James 1:17
Posted By: ribka Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21

your son now owes you big time. You need to constantly remind him of that. That there is a pooosy mobile
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21
Might as well throw on some wheel spinners too!

Sounds like a great ride for a great kid. Hope he's happy with it.

The Panty Dropper
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
That's a blessing.
🚗
I've heard police say that his age group are like magnets to them. They don't hesitate to write them up. This is even more true for a sports car category. This makes it doubly good.

My 20 year old middle Grandson is getting my Saleen Mustang on Tuesday.

Thinking cop magnet also.

But he held up his end on his College grades, deans list.
A deal’s a deal.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21
Originally Posted by ribka

your son now owes you big time. You need to constantly remind him of that. That there is a pooosy mobile

Sounds like he owes the great aunt.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by ribka

Sounds like he owes the great aunt.

do you mean really old or awesome?
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21

The Panty Dropper

Fuggin a right!

[Linked Image from matthewscurrie.com]
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
That's a blessing.
🚗

A deal’s a deal.

Sweet
If he's making those kind of grades, it's not likely he'll be out late at the hangouts dragging it or anything foolish. He's truly blessed as well. Good age to start appreciating a nice muscle car like that. The only ones around here his age that have them are Sadi Oil millionaires sons going to the university.
Posted By: hatari Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21
When my son son turned 16 I bought a 2007 Hummer H3. Told if “I given, I damn sure can takerh away”

When he turned 18, being now “olds and wise” (right)
He comes and says he knows why I got him an H3.

“The think is all steel, and I can’t speed in it”

I told him
“Your learning, kid”

😉
That's a blessing.
🚗

A deal’s a deal.

Sweet
If he's making those kind of grades, it's not likely he'll be out late at the hangouts dragging it or anything foolish. He's truly blessed as well. Good age to start appreciating a nice muscle car like that. The only ones around here his age that have them are Sadi Oil millionaires sons going to the university.

He’s a good young man and with a good head on his shoulders. Very proud of all 4 Grandsons.

One of the conditions of the handover was that he sell his street motorcycle and he did that this week. I’ll sleep a lot better at night knowing that.

The Panty Dropper

Fuggin a right!

[Linked Image from matthewscurrie.com]

Dude !!
Posted By: Craigster Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21
Originally Posted by blindshooter

I pulled a homemade trailer with my flat trackers with it. Huge trunk for tool boxes, coolers and all manner of chit.

352, 4bbl carb, dual exhuast
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by blindshooter

352, 4bbl carb, dual exhuast

Borrowed from GRIZZ:

I got a 32 Coupe with a half a tank of gas,
A face fulla puzzy and my hands fulla azz.
And I’m movin on .
Posted By: blanket Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21
He needs to be grateful and not act a socially protected species
Originally Posted by blanket

He is grateful. I'm not wealthy by any means. He just started his 1st job last week. We were just trying to find some worn out junk with a clear title I could work on. Instead he got a nice surprise.
Originally Posted by blanket

He is grateful. I'm not wealthy by any means. He just started his 1st job last week. We were just trying to find some worn out junk with a clear title I could work on. Instead he got a nice surprise.

You and he did well.
That's a blessing.
🚗

A deal’s a deal.

Sweet

He’s a good young man and with a good head on his shoulders. Very proud of all 4 Grandsons.

One of the conditions of the handover was that he sell his street motorcycle and he did that this week. I’ll sleep a lot better at night knowing that.

Oh yeah. Good call. I lost the skin off my face on one.
A family member had a fatal accident on one for likely an hour, and came back miraculously. His heart stopped, brain was without oxygen and then started beating eventually. All of us know friends who faired badly.

Besides, there's probably not a man who wouldn't choose the Mustang over any bike.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21
And one can bet he'll go to the cleaners when it has to go into the shop.
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21
The 352 had no guts.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21
My 1963 Galaxy 500XL had a 352 4 barrel under the hood. The mufflers (dual exhaust) we’re constantly rotting out maybe get 2 years on them.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21
Originally Posted by hatari
When my son son turned 16 I bought a 2007 Hummer H3. Told if “I given, I damn sure can takerh away”

I told him
“Your learning, kid”

😉

I got mine a used Mercury Marquis..... biggest car on the road, cheap insurance, but the thing still got 20 mpg.
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Originally Posted by hatari

I told him
“Your learning, kid”

😉

I got mine a used Mercury Marquis..... biggest car on the road, cheap insurance, but the thing still got 20 mpg.

My wife drives a 2001 Mercury Marquis. Bought it 5 yrs ago for $3250. Had 83k when we got it, but still runs great. I can actually work on it to.
Originally Posted by 1minute

That's what worries me.
Posted By: Nollij Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21
Surround them with steel. Full frame doors seem to help. This was my oldest daughter's first ride.
I still can't believe she walked away from it. Youngest daughter is in a 2003 Expedition. Some peace
of mind, but never enough.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: chris_c Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21
Originally Posted by 1minute

If you have a good local repair shop, mostly same as toyota
Posted By: joken2 Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21

That's a blessing.
🚗

A deal’s a deal.

Your grandson sounds like a good, levelheaded, responsible, very deserving young man but don't be surprised if the cost of insurance on the Saleen Mustang increases substantially regardless whether you, his parents or he pays the premiums due to being a young male driver and primary driver of a Saleen Mustang .

When our kids first started driving the insurance standard for young females was 1.4 times the adult rate and young males was 1.9 the adult rate. The brand name and model type can make a big difference in insurance costs, too. We checked out insurance rates on a 4cyl auto Mustang and a same year 4 cyl auto Pontiac Sunbird for our girls -- basically equals performance wise -- but the Sunbird was a worthwhile amount less to insure.

Originally Posted by joken2

That's a blessing.
🚗

A deal’s a deal.

Your grandson sounds like a good, levelheaded, responsible, very deserving young man but don't be surprised if the cost of insurance on the Saleen Mustang increases substantially regardless whether you, his parents or he pays the premiums due to being a young male driver and primary driver of a Saleen Mustang .

When our kids first started driving the insurance standard for young females was 1.4 times the adult rate and young males was 1.9 the adult rate and the brand name and model type can make a big difference in insurance costs, too. We checked out insurance rates on a 4cyl auto Mustang and a same year 4 cyl auto Pontiac Sunbird for our girls -- basically equals performance wise -- but the Sunbird was a worthwhile amount less to insure.

Actually there’s no insurance cost differential assigned to the vehicle. It’s a pristine 2006 Model and when the Ford vin# is given It comes back as an older Mustang Coupe with a small block V8.

The Saleen part of the equation is what Steve Saleen adds to the his cars and that’s documented by his assigned Saleen production # found in 3 different places on the vehicle.

3 years ago A good friend bought a new Ford Cobra Mustang from a Ford dealer and had it upgraded 100 hp by Ford to maintain his warranty. Well,,,that wasn’t enough so he had it picked up and sent out to Carroll Shelby’s facilities and had it maxed out with the full all around upgrades and is now pushing north of 740 hp. Insurance wise it still shows as the original Ford factory Cobra Mustang.

Try that with a Covette or Dodge Hellcat and those Model vin#’s !!!
You’ll pay and pay dearly especially if you’re a young man below the age of 25.

My buddy is now thinking about selling his Shelby and getting the Super Snake. I’m probably gonna get his Shelby If he makes the decision to go forward.

Apologies for going on so long here.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21

Originally Posted by joken2

That's a blessing.
🚗

A deal’s a deal.

When our kids first started driving the insurance standard for young females was 1.4 times the adult rate and young males was 1.9 the adult rate and the brand name and model type can make a big difference in insurance costs, too. We checked out insurance rates on a 4cyl auto Mustang and a same year 4 cyl auto Pontiac Sunbird for our girls -- basically equals performance wise -- but the Sunbird was a worthwhile amount less to insure.

Actually there’s no insurance cost differential assigned to the vehicle. It’s a pristine 2006 Model and when the Ford vin# is given It comes back as an older Mustang Coupe with a small block V8.

The Saleen part of the equation is what Steve Saleen adds to the his cars and that’s documented by his assigned Saleen production # found in 3 different places on the vehicle.

3 years ago A good friend bought a new Ford Cobra Mustang from a Ford dealer and had it upgraded 100 hp by Ford to maintain his warranty. Well,,,that wasn’t enough so he had it picked up and sent out to Carroll Shelby’s facilities and had it maxed out with the full all around upgrades and is now pushing north of 740 hp. Insurance wise it still shows as the original Ford factory Cobra Mustang.

Try that with a Covette or Dodge Hellcat and those Model vin#’s !!!
You’ll pay and pay dearly especially if you’re a young man below the age of 25.

My buddy is now thinking about selling his Shelby and getting the Super Snake. I’m probably gonna get his Shelby If he makes the decision to go forward.

Apologies for going on so long here.

So, does that mean if it were totaled insurance would only cover the current value of an pristine older Mustang coupe w/small block V8 engine or would they still cover that of a 2006 Saleen Mustang?
Posted By: Skankhunt42 Re: Son's first car - 02/27/21
Good for your son! Sounds like an outstanding young man. And Kudo's to your aunt, sounds like a very nice person.
© 24hourcampfire