Home
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

or roll your faags in your tee?

Asking for a friend?

Quien Sabe,

GWB

Whatever it's called when they shave your head to go in the military, yes, many times over.
Every summer, all summer a GI cut from 1952-1956. Around 1990 I found myself in a tee with no pockets so rolled my cigs in my shirt sleeve .
No
Growing up in a small town, there was only 1 barber shop.

As a kid. 8 years old or so. Mom would drop me off while she’d run errands.

Barber was an Older guy. He cut hair one way. Not exactly high and tight. Close on sides. A little longer on top.

Straight razor around ears and neck line.

Penny for the Ford’s square “chiclet” gum machine.

I heard some interesting gossip for a youngster in there. 🤪😂

Crew cut now a buzz cut. My hair was always cut short by the standards of the time.
Everything but rolling cigs in a t shirt, hell yea!
I have a photo somewhere of a younger me with a crewcut, in a t-shirt, smoking a Camel - and not a filtered one either. There may even have been times I rolled a softpack up in a sleeve - better than getting them crushed in a jeans pocket.
They called me Slick!
Originally Posted by Remsen
Whatever it's called when they shave your head to go in the military, yes, many times over.

We called that a Buzz.

I tried parting down the middle, then a mullet, flat top & finally decided my fat head was worthy of a Buzz. That was 4 years ago & now wouldn’t want it any other way. So maintenance free & cheap.
I was probably the only kid in the US that wore a crew cut to his junior prom - 1969 smile
Never smoked.
Wish I had enough hair for a flat top, today smile smile smile
"The Warden" just trims around the edges - not enough left for even a decent buzz cut.
yeah, I did all of that at one time or another back in the fifties and sixties
We lived on a ranch and didn't get to town too often. Mom got her hands on one of those barber sets, complete with the attachments and we ended up with a buzz cut after repeated attempts on her part to give us flat tops. This lasted for one spring and summer and mom finally admitted that we need to hit the barber shop when we went to town.
Mid-80's thru late 90's.....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Actually, been cutting my own since 18. Just above the fingers with scissors, let grow until annoyed, repeat. Now buzz at 3/8", grow until freaking wild looking like the dude from the show Taxi, buzz...
I wore a flat top for several years but it got to be a problem finding someone who could do it.

First one barber who was great at it retired, then another. I started mowing my own head with a little $20 Wahl kit that I bought right before Covid hit last year which was lucky because I at least was able to have haircuts during the shut down. That thing paid for itself the first time. Its not a flat top but it will do.

Saving the little bit of money is nice but saving having to GO to the barbershop or God forbid "salon" is priceless.
A "Tick" cut, and flat-top, sense 1958. Not much to cut on top any more..never smoked, but friends that did, did the pack-in-the- "T" thing.
As a young kid always a buzz cut, dads orders. When I hit 17 let it grow really long, but no pony tail or man buns grin
Not since about 1970, no. And never smoked.

My full head of silver gets cut by a barber who works in a salon. While I'm there, the view of lovelies in the mirror is quite nice. All the stylists are young and fit, and often, so are the customers.
Yep, most all of that, I now sport a reverse Mohawk. laugh But, I guard my peach fuzz to the end! laugh
I had a flattop back in the early 60's. When I started wrestling in high school, the coach said no hair over 1/4". I got a crew cut with the little flip up in front that was popular but he made me shave that off, too. What was called a crew then is called a buzz cut now. A crew these days has way too much hair left.

Then the Beatles arrived and it all rapidly changed. Coaches had to give in to style and let the hair grow longer.
I have two unopened packs of those that my Father brought back from Korea.
As a Marine I could give myself a pretty good “Horseshoe” Flattop. Wife wasn’t a fan though!
These days, most of what has not turned gray has turned loose.

Thankfully my barber sez' that as long as I have one hair on my noggin' he can give me a flat top!

ya!

GWB
Dad bought sheers. I got what we called a Baldy Sour.
We had to keep it tight at Johns Manville, especially near the blast furnaces. Then in 1959, we converted to a cold fusion process after that negra womern helped us with all the math equations.
Basic training got buzzed. While in AIT I sported a flat top for a spell. High and tight for awhile. Military days are long past in the rear view mirror.
Been cutting my own hair for a couple of years. Ever since Shaky Pete, my 93 year old barber passed.
Savings of over $200 per year.
I use a #1 attachment for the back and sides and a #4 on the top. Wife says it's too short, but I'm pleased with the results.

No cigs rolled up in my sleeve. Never smoked.
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Been cutting my own hair for a couple of years. Ever since Shaky Pete, my 93 year old barber passed.
I use a #1 attachment for the back and sides and a #4 on the top. Wife says it's too short, but I'm pleased with the results.

1-1/2 for me!

ya!

GWB
Several times in my life. My hair has gotten long tho during this scamdemic. I try to make myself as socially undesirable as possible. Currently past my collar in length.
I rocked a flat top through the 90s. Need to start again.
I had a flat top for several years. Now a high & tight buzz cut.
Just how mom cut it.
She was a beautician.
Never cared enough to go play someone else, or to try and get
her to do it different. Parted on side, not short, definitely not
near the collar.

She taught my wife how to cut it.
Really enjoy the time it takes her to do it, and she is getting
faster.

And still haven't ever payed to get my hair cut.
My Uncle Bill used to cut hair every Saturday in his basement garage. Usually a buzz cut for his boys and a high and tight for the rest of us. My cousin sent a digitized home movie and lo and behold I had a pretty good looking high and tight circa 1965. I quit spending big bucks on haircuts years ago. I go to the base exchange when I get shaggy and let the cute gal cut it however she wants.
Pop had three boys. Every two weeks he got those clippers and buzzed us sitting on a stool in the carport. I was a junior in high school when I finally got to go to the barber shop and get a cut that allowed a little more hair. He grumbled, but I paid for it and just got in line behind him at the shop. (I often offered to buzz his and save those pennies, but that was a no go...)
Been doing my own for past 28 years. No shoe on the clippers. As close to the skin as possible. Every Saturday. It's time... smile
Originally Posted by slumlord
We had to keep it tight at Johns Manville, especially near the blast furnaces. Then in 1959, we converted to a cold fusion process after that negra womern helped us with all the math equations.

LMAO...I didn't read any of thread,but this made it worth opening. 🤣🤣🤣
Originally Posted by mark shubert

Wish I had enough hair for a flat top, today smile smile smile

That's called a "no-top." laugh
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Been doing my own for past 28 years. No shoe on the clippers. As close to the skin as possible. Every Saturday. It's time... smile

That's what I do, but I do it outside. When it's too cold to spend 5 minutes shirtless out there, I tend to get a little fuzzy. I usually follow up with a razor in the shower.
"reverse mohawk"

hahahaha...
I do a high and tight with a comb over part.
Cut my own hair.
Used ta keep it that way every 3 or 4 weeks.
Now ....
Let it go 2 3 4 months
Trim as it goes.
Let the beard grow out 2 or 3 months
Clean shaven 2 or 3 months

Beard makes me look old as heck at times.
Typical Howie Long style until my AF days..Two depoyments in SEA short and cool ...
I got "Doc Brown" hair. Last cut was July 5, 2020.

Interesting.

I calculated it out.

Since my last haircut at a barber shop, I've saved $8200 using your figures.

And I don't cut my own hair. Well, except in 2014 I cut most of my ponytail off for a special purpose. Let's just say a prayer was answered to make it easy.

Trimmed some ends over the years.

Haven't seen my chin since '79-80 either.

Hair has regrown well since I cut the ponytail off. And I still have hair on top of my head too.

As for the smokes? Dudes, they've had pocket t-shirts for like a hundred years I think. I no longer smoke, but still wear pocket tees since the late 60's.
Been cutting my own hair for 30 yrs. ⅜" on the sides ¾" on top.
Short cut when I was young, a mullet when I got older.
I was pretty shaggy when I arrived at Boot Camp. My greeting from the 1st sergeant I met was "you, red on the head likin' to a dick on a dog surfer boy, you will be gettin' a G.I. sunburn today"

mike r
Somehow, the longer the hair was going to that "barber", chair, the shorter it got cut.
Had a buzz all summer, sure was nice, thinking about going back to it.
Always had a butch cut as a kid probably 2nd-6th grades
I always had short combed hair until the Air Force became my barber. After I got out in 71, I had long hair and a beard. Hippie like!
When I finally matured I,went back to shorter hair and then mostly bald now!
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Interesting.

I calculated it out.

Since my last haircut at a barber shop, I've saved $8200 using your figures.

And I don't cut my own hair. Well, except in 2014 I cut most of my ponytail off for a special purpose. Let's just say a prayer was answered to make it easy.

Trimmed some ends over the years.

Haven't seen my chin since '79-80 either.

Hair has regrown well since I cut the ponytail off. And I still have hair on top of my head too.

As for the smokes? Dudes, they've had pocket t-shirts for like a hundred years I think. I no longer smoke, but still wear pocket tees since the late 60's.

Gonna grow yourself a ‘rat tail’ ?

Candles in the beard?

LOL
A few years ago my nephew graduated from college. He had a pony tail and a beard. He was also 100% clean. He hates drugs with a passion and doesn't even smoke or chew. He was driving home through TX, carefully watching the speed limit, when a state cop pulled him over. He has the sense to not get bitchy with cops. It's yes, sir and no, sir. The cop apparently associated long hair with drugs because he searched the car, found nothing, then called in a K9 unit. The dogs didn't find anything either. They detained him about 4 hrs before it was over. It was pretty much a clear cut case of discrimination against long hair.
Flat top.....April thu oct....the rest of the year a Ollie North !
I used to get that crap with tellers at my bank. Long hair, maui jims... Asking me for 2 IDs, pulling signature cards, telling me chit like they dont have that much cash in the drawer.
Went in one morning, talked to the branch manager, we chatted on the leather couches, had her introduce me to all the tellers. No probs after that.

© 24hourcampfire