Home
Posted By: JamesJr A Texas Size Turnip.......... - 02/27/21
Grown in Kentucky. I was cleaning the last of the collards out of the high tunnel, so I can begin planting for the new season. Found this turnip growing in the collards. Biggest one I've ever seen. Put my cap next to it for the sake of comparison.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
James,

Thats a biggun! Will it be too pithy?
My grandfather used to occasionally have turnips growing around his place. It seems like they would be in the ground year round. I'd occasionally dig one out, wash it off and eat it like an apple.
I put some seeds in this past week. I like em too!
Now that's a turnip!
Lots of food there if its good
I pulled it and tossed it, as it's way too big to be any good to eat. I like a raw turnip every now and then, don't care for them cooked.
Posted By: 673 Re: A Texas Size Turnip.......... - 02/27/21
The devil made Turnips, then tried to make me eat them.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

You guys can have my portion! sick

I don't even like to smell 'em being cooked...
Originally Posted by 673

This is the way I am with beets. Hell I even tried to eat em in boot camp. They just got bigger the more I chewed.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Agreed Barry. I’ve never been hungry enough to eat a turnip.
I hate them.
Posted By: EdM Re: A Texas Size Turnip.......... - 02/27/21
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Yep and rutabagas too...
Bet y’all won’t eat kohlrabis either! 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Bet that was a back breaker to pull.
Big’un.
Originally Posted by 673

This is the way I am with beets. Hell I even tried to eat em in boot camp. They just got bigger the more I chewed.

I’ve never had a turnip. But I do like pickled beets. Especially when using them to make pickled eggs.
Love turnips and rutabagas. All root veggies.

That's an impressive one, but too big to eat.
Never raised any, the turnips, and radishes they use for cover crops have some big roots.
Europeans make a root vegetable mash that can include turnips. It almost always includes potatoes, with a few to several of these - celery root (celeriac), carrots, turnips, rutabagas. It is delicious. Have had it in several countries to include France and Belgium, where I found it to be quite tasty. Had it with rabbit in a wine reduction sauce in a sidewalk cafe in Paris and with homemade sausages in a small cafe in Brussels on a narrow alley way just off Grand Place.

The name the Europeans call the mash escapes me right now. I tried to recreate it once here, but wasn't able to duplicate that fine concoction. A coworker from France I worked with told me it was because I hadn't processed the celery root correctly.
......barf

Set it on a fencepost and shoot it with your creedmoor
Biggest I ever grew was the size of a basketball.

Purple top in a cover crop mix.
Posted By: RL Re: A Texas Size Turnip.......... - 02/27/21

We have put them out in S TX for deer and they like the tops pretty well. Problem is the hogs like them too and cause bomb craters in the pasture.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Europeans make a root vegetable mash that can include turnips. It almost always includes potatoes, with a few to several of these - celery root (celeriac), carrots, turnips, rutabagas. It is delicious. Have had it in several countries to include France and Belgium, where I found it to be quite tasty. Had it with rabbit in a wine reduction sauce in a sidewalk cafe in Paris and with homemade sausages in a small cafe in Brussels on a narrow alley way just off Grand Place.

The name the Europeans call the mash escapes me right now. I tried to recreate it once here, but wasn't able to duplicate that fine concoction. A coworker from France I worked with told me it was because I hadn't processed the celery root correctly.

Gotta hand it to the Belgians and French. Those folks can cook. Two business trips to Brussels and there abouts in a past life. Ate good both times. Stuff that is not so common in US: Horse meat, prairie oysters, mussels, escargot, skate. All well prepared and very tasty. And true Belgian waffles. No comparison in the US...
Never could eat those!
like them, I cook the turnips and greens with chopped-up bacon and sausage chunks, really good.
Posted By: ejo Re: A Texas Size Turnip.......... - 02/27/21
Slice it and roast it in the oven with salt and olive oil. Love to eat them. We grow 6-8 acres every year for the deer and I always take plenty for myself.
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Gotta hand it to the Belgians and French. Those folks can cook. Two business trips to Brussels and there abouts in a past life. Ate good both times. Stuff that is not so common in US: Horse meat, prairie oysters, mussels, escargot, skate. All well prepared and very tasty. And true Belgian waffles. No comparison in the US...

Orion, boy are you not kidding. The French and Belgians sure can cook. You mentioned horse meat. At that same cafe in Brussels, I ate some horse meat. It was, of course, delicious. Had a yuge bowl of mussels straight from the English Channel waters in a cafe in Honfleur, France, on the Normandy coast. They farm them there by sinking pilings in the water off the beach and hang nets off them for the mussels to attach themselves to and grow.
All varieties are not the same. Try white egg turnip. Mild and sweet even when as big as grapefruit.
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
All varieties are not the same. Try white egg turnip. Mild and sweet even when as big as grapefruit.

It would still be loose in your ass
Originally Posted by stxhunter
like them, I cook the turnips and greens with chopped-up bacon and sausage chunks, really good.

Perfect, odd so many don't like turnips or even greens of any sort.
Originally Posted by 673

Goddam elementary lunch lady used to serve beets or lima beans every fuggin' day. Hated her ass.
love mashed turnips
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite

It would still be loose in your ass

Damn son!

Hahaha!
No to turnips. No to beets. No to all of the squashes and gourd-like concoctions as well. You're just wasting heat, butter, brown sugar, cheese, pepper, and everything else folks try to cover up that garbage with. PHOOEY!!!!!
I dice cabbage, onions, potatoes, turnips, and slice sausage up and throw it all in big cast iron pot with bacon grease. I like to dice em up and let em sautée down!! Damn good eatin’ in home or camp! Kind of a modified bubble and squeak!! Fart like a roan hack horse!!!
Does it shrivel up in the cold?
A tator from our garden last fall! A fraction short of 5 pounds! With your turnup and my potato.....we’d have the beginnings of a hell of a soup!

I plant over a nuclear waste site.....what’s your secret? 🤪 memtb

......barf

Now you know that creedmoor wouldn't penetrate!!!
......barf

Originally Posted by RL
......barf

That's a good idea. I'll set it out about 500 yards,....................cause the Creedmoor is just getting started good at that range.
I grew a sexy sweet pertaytor once
I like pickled beets. Turnips and kohlrabi aren't had depending on how they are cooked. Used to grow all three for seed.

size 13-1/2 shoe

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by memtb
A tator from our garden last fall! A fraction short of 5 pounds! With your turnup and my potato.....we’d have the beginnings of a hell of a soup!

Norkotah?

size 13-1/2 shoe

you one twisted sumbish!

whistle
Originally Posted by Valsdad

size 13-1/2 shoe

you one twisted sumbish!

whistle

Just imagine what his carrots look like! Sheesh!!!

The name the Europeans call the mash escapes me right now.

Riced
Poor farm families (my grandparents, for instance) lived on mashed turnips. Mashed with cream, butter and sugar. Not that bad and very filling. (The cream and butter were produced on the farm as well, so...there it is. I used to cut them up and put them in stews in grandparents honor. The stew would be done long before the turnips, but edible.

size 13-1/2 shoe

you one twisted sumbish!

whistle

Just imagine what his carrots look like! Sheesh!!!

I've grown a couple that were amazing.

And a horseradish that kinda looked like some illustration out of the KamaSutra...................

not that I know what's in there......................just guessin'
Originally Posted by JamesJr
... That's a good idea. I'll set it out about 500 yards,....................cause the Creedmoor is just getting started good at that range.

Gotta chuckle outta your comment above ... Last time I was at Whittaker's, there was a David Koresh, tie-dyed commando leading an entourage around the store. At one point I over heard him telling one of his understudies "At 450 yards the 6.5 Creedmoor is still rising." Can't make this stuff up...
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by JamesJr
... That's a good idea. I'll set it out about 500 yards,....................cause the Creedmoor is just getting started good at that range.

Gotta chuckle outta your comment above ... Last time I was at Whittaker's, there was a David Koresh, tie-dyed commando leading an entourage around the store. At one point I over heard him telling one of his understudies "At 450 yards the 6.5 Creedmoor is still rising." Can't make this stuff up...

You mean it's not?

LOL
Fugk Yo Couch and Yo Turnip

Bob
James,

Be a pithy if it gets wasted.
Mail that turnip around, name it Bluto

Who’s first??

Gopher Gunner?
😃
Everybody sign it and forward it

Norkotah?

Nah.....North-Central Wyoming! memtb

I believe turnips are included in food dishes only when enough cat shit cannot be found to make the food sufficiently unpalatable.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

I believe turnips are included in food dishes only when enough cat shit cannot be found to make the food sufficiently unpalatable.

Lol. smile
Originally Posted by ironbender
James,

I saw what you did there.
Originally Posted by blanket
love mashed turnips

Me too.
Posted By: 673 Re: A Texas Size Turnip.......... - 02/28/21
The only time I ever puked at the table involved Turnips LOL

Norkotah?

I was wondering the type of tater.

Norkotah is one, but I was actually thinking of another called Norland. Modoc Red is what I grew last year, but biggest was maybe 1.5 lbs.
I like turnips. That big probably wouldn't be good.

Norkotah?

I was wondering the type of tater.

Norkotah is one, but I was actually thinking of another called Norland. Modoc Red is what I grew last year, but biggest was maybe 1.5 lbs.

Sorry.....I misunderstood!

Not sure of specific potato type. We just bought some seed potatoes! I’m not certain what it is with our soil, but we can grow some very large potatoes....both whites and reds! I think that about 10 years ago, we had a white that was larger than this. memtb
Originally Posted by ironbender
James,

I saw what you did there.

I’ll be here all week!
Jimmy junior wishes he could make other schidt bigger. Lmao
Posted By: 673 Re: A Texas Size Turnip.......... - 02/28/21
This is about turnips, not fuggin taters... laugh

We do roast beef and root crops.
Potatoes, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas, carrots.
Mashed up, butter, some horseradish.

I think Terryk knows what they call it.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Yes! I bet he does.

I keep forgetting the name.
Wheels and hitch to move it ? grin

We grow em every year for a fall crop and like them steamed, raw or mashed.. however a friend of mine says "the only place they should be grown is a crack in the Interstate "

Deer eat the hell out of Turnips and Rutabagas.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Yes! I bet he does.
I keep forgetting the name.

Rotmos.
http://www.culinaryconcerto.com/rotmos-swedish-mashed-root-vegetables/
I never tried or been around mashed up turnips.

Is it like a farty-oniony version of mashed potatoes?
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Wheels and hitch to move it ? grin

We grow em every year for a fall crop and like them steamed, raw or mashed.. however a friend of mine says "the only place they should be grown is a crack in the Interstate "

Lol. smile
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Everybody sign it and forward it

'Singing' being code for a coring and quick shagging, I assume? Save the plug...

wink
Wee Muther grew up in Scotland WWII era. Especially during wartime shortages and mandatory rationing, many meals were stews and soups and mashes made from neeps (yellow turnips), ingins' (onions) and tatties (potatoes). Only meat to be commonly had was rabbit and fish once a week. Occasionally ground mutton (mince). To this day she looks like she'll yakk at the sight of rabbit meat. Still loves her neeps and tatties, though...

I like 'em OK, but wouldn't lose sleep if I never ate them again.
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Wee Muther grew up in Scotland WWII era. Especially during wartime shortages and mandatory rationing, many meals were stews and soups and mashes made from neeps (yellow turnips), ingins' (onions) and tatties (potatoes). Only meat to be commonly had was rabbit and fish once a week. Occasionally ground mutton (mince). To this day she looks like she'll yakk at the sight of rabbit meat. Still loves her neeps and tatties, though...

I like 'em OK, but wouldn't lose sleep if I never ate them again.

Well, it's not like you and the missus have been reduced to rabbit once a week.

Yellow turnips being .................................rutabagas?

We had them mashed, with a couple of well boiled carrots for even more color, every holiday season........

I still do. I find it hard not to have them on the table..............wee mother (my Irish American one) is looking down from above after all .

This whole discussion on turnips had me scratching my head for the name of the root mash, so I dug deep in my emails and finally found the name. It's called stappa.

Here's a recipe that was in the email. For some reason, celery root (Celeriac) isn't mentioned in this recipe.

3 cups potatoes (peeled and cut)
2 cups parsnips (peeled and cut)
1 cup carrot (peeled and cut)
2 cups beef broth (chicken broth or vegetable broth or turkey)
2-4 tbsps butter
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
salt
pepper
1 Wash and peel vegetables and cut them into quarters and put in a large pot.
2 Add broth plus enough water to just about cover the veggies.
3 Cook until very tender- as you would for mashed potatoes.
4 Drain well and mash with butter and seasonings. Salt and pepper to taste.
5 Serve hot.
6 Note: If you prefer one veggie over another adjust the amount to include more of what you like and less of what you do not. If you do not like one of the veggies do not use it at all and add more of what you do like. This is a very adaptable recipe and will come out well no matter which types of root veggies you use- even if you use different ones all together such as turnips or rutabagas- just use only what you like and none of those you don't.
i tried to like turnips. didn't work out.
Originally Posted by Huntz
Deer eat the hell out of Turnips and Rutabagas.

IIRC, there are areas where they will broadcast sow turnips for forage for sheep to browse on as well...
© 24hourcampfire