Home
With a 12 gauge slug gun? I know the slug is capable of the job, just wondering if anyone has done it.
Not an elk, but my daughter shot a cow moose near Wasilla, with a tag that required a shotgun! She said it went down, started to move and she shot again! That was four years ago, her first Moose. Elk aren't any bigger! Shotgun should work!
People do it every year on a portion of the national elk refuge near Jackson WY.
Originally Posted by Heym06
Not an elk, but my daughter shot a cow moose near Wasilla, with a tag that required a shotgun! She said it went down, started to move and she shot again! That was four years ago, her first Moose. Elk aren't any bigger! Shotgun should work!

Same with my nephew... keep it under 100 yds, use a good slug (in his case it was a Brenneke Black Magic Magnum), and the moose went down just fine.
I don’t even personally know anyone that’s killed an elk.
Not an elk or moose but I know a few people who have killed bears with 12 ga slugs
Originally Posted by Dan700mn
Not an elk or moose but I know a few people who have killed bears with 12 ga slugs

Bleck, brown or bofe.
Yeah, a guy I know gets it done.
I have buddies that kill Roosevelt (big) elk every year in NW Oregon with 12ga slugs. Nary an issue...
Several elk hunts here in Oregon mandate shotguns with slugs. Salmon River estuary hunt for one and Findley NWR for another. Most of the elk I have killed I could have taken with a shotgun with slugs. That is both Roosevelt and Rockie Mountain species.
Took 2 with a bow and 1 with a ML.
Not that it wouldn't, but in all the years I have hunted elk I have never known a single person who hunting with a slug and shotgun.

I do know of 3 that killed them with smooth bore flintlock muzzleloaders however. All 3 were with round balls and 2 of the 3 were 62 cal with the 3rd being a 66 cal.
Had a kid ask to borrow the farm 12ga to go elk hunting one year, must have been '93 or '94. Didn't think much of it, young guys gotta go out and figure things out for themselves. He came back with a six point. Not what I expected, but he and his family ate well that winter.
Told to me as a true story, and I also heard it around a campfire....from the mouth of the shooter:

Buddy of mine had an older friend that didn’t want to move around too much when hunting.... I think he was afraid of wandering to far from his bottle....anyway, he set up with a chair on a ridge overlooking a canyon......up near Leadville..... He had a 300 WM, a 243 and a 12 ga shotgun with him. After sitting there for hours he sees a bull across the canyon and shoots the 300, hits the bull but doesn’t put it down....bull is running down into the canyon so he commences “rapid fire” with the 243.... allegedly hits the bull again... and then...wonder of wonders......, the bull comes running up the hill toward him and he puts it down with one shot of the 12 gauge.

So, yes I have heard of one bull killed with a shotgun.

Btw.... I once saw a good sized muley buck get hit with buckshot at about 30 yards..... one shot, dropped in his tracks.
F&G and wildlife troopers regularly have to dispatch moose. bears and an occasional bison with slugs.....no problem!

F&G did a bear eradication project a few years back and killed over 100 from a heli. The bears were taken to villages
where they were butchered and meat distributed. The locals complained that the Brenneke slugs ruined too much meat so
they switched to Foster slugs and locals claimed they could eat up to the hole. The shooter required more shots per kill.
Black bears
Killed one years back with a 20 Gauge and Lightfield slug.
Has never dawned on me that people would hunt big game with a shotgun , never heard of such thing. Learn something every day.
Several states require shotguns for their deer seasons but I have never heard of hunting elk or moose with a shotgun. Interesting information here.
tag
Originally Posted by VernAK
F&G and wildlife troopers regularly have to dispatch moose. bears and an occasional bison with slugs.....no problem!

F&G did a bear eradication project a few years back and killed over 100 from a heli. The bears were taken to villages
where they were butchered and meat distributed. The locals complained that the Brenneke slugs ruined too much meat so
they switched to Foster slugs and locals claimed they could eat up to the hole. The shooter required more shots per kill.

That gave more holes to eat up to!
Seems I recall Mule Deer's (JB) wife killed a moose with a slug gun? I'm very foggy on it, maybe somebody else or John can chime in?
I have a good friend that has started hunting some of the fishing accesses (MT FWP) around home to fill an extra doe tag or two. He takes a disabled friend with him and all he can legally use is a shotgun due to it's location. He has shot more than a few deer there as has his friend. Last year while he was on foot by himself, a cow elk jumped the fence and walked by him about 100 yds. He got it with one shot. ---legally by the way. He uses a Rem 870 with the rifled barrel and real expensive sabot ammo. It also has a scope on it.
I don't know anybody else that hunts big game with a shotgun, but I am getting old! Not crippled yet!
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Seems I recall Mule Deer's (JB) wife killed a moose with a slug gun? I'm very foggy on it, maybe somebody else or John can chime in?

Yes, Eileen did take a moose on the Canyon Ferry WMA which is less than a mile north of their hometown. I've also killed several WT deer on that same WMA with slug guns chambered in 12, 16 and 20 ga, and with traditional slugs and modern sabots. All worked fine and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot most BG with a good slug gun - within its range limitations.
Good replies guys. I've killed a truck load deer with 12 gauge slugs. That was before most of the State opened up for rifles several years ago. I know slugs would do the job on elk, within reason, and wondered how prevalent their use is. Based on the replies, more prevalent than I would have guessed. Thanks.
© 24hourcampfire