Home
Posted By: 338Rem Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
My boy Cody passed yesterday, he had just turned 12 last month. Had some medical issues for the last 3 years. Here is a pic before the problems started. He was the best dog and I will miss him forever. This will take some time. So used to him waiting at the top of the stairs when I come home or him sitting in the doorway of the bedroom staring at me, trying to will me to wake up and get him breakfast. He never was a real vocal, barking dog. I used to tell everyone he only barks in his dreams, which he did. Pretty empty house now, daughter has been off at college for just about 4 years and will graduate this spring. Cody was her dog that I got to take care of. I was a lucky guy. Have had a few labs and I hate to say it and feel some guilt about this, but he was the best of the bunch.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Very sorry to hear it. He looks very familiar.
Posted By: Brazos Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Sorry for your loss.

Good boy, Cody. Good boy...
Posted By: Morewood Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
You were a good boy, Cody.

My condolences. Never easy to lose a family member.
Posted By: domit Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
best thoughts for you and family. rember you will meet again, that is just one of the joys of heaven.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Hate to hear

I have a big yellow lab very similar
Posted By: kingston Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
I'm so sorry for your loss. These beautiful creatures take quite a hold on our hearts. A good friend once told me that the reason their lives are so short is because they love so much. Good boy Cody, good boy.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Very sorry to hear that, 338REM.
Posted By: lochsa Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
I’m sorry for your loss. I lost my yellow lab September 2019
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
I am sorry. What a handsome fella he was. You were both lucky to share your time together!!!!
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Man, I never know what to say in these threads. Dogs are family. Not a day goes by that these best friends don't make us smile. They bring so much joy into our lives. I am truly very sorry. When they pass it leaves a hole in our hearts.
Sweet boy. Sorry to hear this. BTDT many times. It never gets easier.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Good boy, Cody!

Hate to hear of his passing.

They give us much love, friendship, loyalty and companionship. Hard to lose a good one. But it's worth our grief to have a dog. It always has been.

Came REAL close to losing Bailey last week. Thank God she's here with us still.
Posted By: lapua6547 Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Sorry for your loss. It is never easy.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Dogs are like family and some cases even better, I am sorry for your loss.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Originally Posted by kingston
I'm so sorry for your loss. These beautiful creatures take quite a hold on our hearts. A good friend once told me that the reason their lives are so short is because they love so much. Good boy Cody, good boy.

You must know eh76. That's what he told me when I lost my buddy a short while back.
Posted By: Judman Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Beautiful dog, sorry for your loss.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
338Rem, so sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Diesel Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Well damn, sad to hear. He was a good looking guy. Sorry your buddy is not at your side.

I lost two of my best friends this year and it has left a giant void. I keep telling myself that life goes on. It's just not the same though because they all have such unique personalities.

I just spent the last three days shuttling people in to our place to pick up their new puppies. The joy and excitement everyone exuded is always such a reward to witness. These creatures are so very special and essential to our well being that every human should have the love of a dog in their life. Take good care of them boys.
Posted By: Highoctane Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21

I feel your pain my friend. My Boxer died a little over a year ago. Best dog Ive ever had. Outside of my son being killed it was the worst day Ive ever had.
Posted By: poboy Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
R.I.P. Cody

I was thinking that a strong indicator of good people is how much they love their dog.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Sorry for your loss. Loosing a pet is heartbreaking
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Very, very sorry to hear, sir. I hate it when I learn of any good dog's passing, but these days it hurts maybe a little more when I see that it's a lab that has passed. We have two, a black and yellow, half sisters. They've brought more joy to my wife than she ever believed possible, and more really than any human has. Me too, truth be told. They're her first ever and learning how to raise them and train them from 7 and 8 week old pups, to then listen to her sing to them when she thinks no one is listening, talk to them, play with them and feed them and stroke them and hug on them, well, it about makes my heart melt.

Every now and then I try to have a few words with her in regards to their mortality and realistic lifespan. What I'm trying to do is gently and slowly prepare her to really understand that they will go, and far too soon. And when they do, it will hurt her heart as much as anything ever has in this life. I've literally told her that when our girls go, pieces of us will die with them. She has playfully said that she's going to have the world's oldest labs. I don't let her get away with that, as it's setting her up. I just want her to be realistic. Anyway, again, I'm sorry for your loss, man. Truly. All of us who've loved and lost our own know your pain all too well. May you cherish your sweet memories together always. He'll live in your heart forever.
Posted By: aalf Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21

Dammit man, we just talked about Cody on Friday.

Hang in there......
Hate to hear it. Lost my walker hound a few years ago and the family schnauzer last year. The time we have with them is way too short.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Dogs aren’t like family. They are family.

It’s hard losing a best friend.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
hate to hear it
Damn sorry! Always hard to take when we lose a family member!
Posted By: Aviator Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Sorry for your loss!
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Sorry for your loss
Posted By: Bljc30 Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Sorry to hear that!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Sure sorry your lost your lad. I know what a void it leaves, but he left you with a ton of good memories.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
It's always hard to lose a pet you've had for that long.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Tough to lose a loyal best friend. Condolences to you.

Gonna be tough for a while, but you'll be okay.
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Very, very sorry to hear, sir. I hate it when I learn of any good dog's passing, but these days it hurts maybe a little more when I see that it's a lab that has passed. We have two, a black and yellow, half sisters. They've brought more joy to my wife than she ever believed possible, and more really than any human has. Me too, truth be told. They're her first ever and learning how to raise them and train them from 7 and 8 week old pups, to then listen to her sing to them when she thinks no one is listening, talk to them, play with them and feed them and stroke them and hug on them, well, it about makes my heart melt.

Every now and then I try to have a few words with her in regards to their mortality and realistic lifespan. What I'm trying to do is gently and slowly prepare her to really understand that they will go, and far too soon. And when they do, it will hurt her heart as much as anything ever has in this life. I've literally told her that when our girls go, pieces of us will die with them. She has playfully said that she's going to have the world's oldest labs. I don't let her get away with that, as it's setting her up. I just want her to be realistic. Anyway, again, I'm sorry for your loss, man. Truly. All of us who've loved and lost our own know your pain all too well. May you cherish your sweet memories together always. He'll live in your heart forever.

Good thoughts KG. But you know all too well you can never prepare your mind for that day the girls move on. Loving your dogs is to feel the greatest rewards and the harshest losses. I hope your dogs set new records on longevity and your wife experiences all the rewards.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
I am sorry for your loss.
You both had a great life together.

It is hard losing a loved dog.
Many of us know the hollow feeling.
Threads like this get to me.
Posted By: rong Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Hang in there, always very difficult as we grow so close to them.And they do as well.
But we don't want them to suffer as they give their best to us everyday.....

Had a yellow named Cody years ago myself.....
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21

Good boy Cody
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Originally Posted by Judman
Beautiful dog, sorry for your loss.

Ditto, ditto, ditto
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
So sorry to hear you lost your boy. Labs are the best. Good boy Cody, rest easy.
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Sorry Man, he looks like a great Dog...it sucks!
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Cody was sure a great looking lab! The good ones do more for us than we could ever repay and that's why their loss hurts so much. My heart goes out to you, it's one of the toughest things a guy has to endure. You'll never replace Cody but you'll find the next puppy will have his own unique personality that fills in those lonely holes like nothing else can do......
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
I hate these threads.

Start tearing up and I don't even know your dog.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Handsome boy . So sorry for your loss
Posted By: chris_c Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
So sorry
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Sorry to hear this. Was it Hip Dysplasia?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
A person hates to lose a dog, sorry to hear it.
Posted By: tzone Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Sorry to hear buddy.
Posted By: 673 Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Beautiful dog, I hate losing my best friend, I'm sorry for your loss.
Whether you know it or not ...he thanks you for your companionship.
Reflect on the good times. He looks like a great guy!
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Sorry for your lose. Good dogs just don’t live long enough.
Posted By: walt501 Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Sorry to hear that. Hang in there.
Posted By: 338Rem Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Thanks for all the kind words.
So sad. Rest In Peace, Cody.

You will see him again, I am sure of it.
This is always most horrible news for dog people.. I am sorry..

Sorry to hear this. We had a female that could have been his twin - great dog for the kids. You have my condolences !
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 02/28/21
Makes for a sad day losing a type of buddy that only a dog can be , best to you 338rem . . .
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

Sorry you lost your buddy.

I can't even look at a puppy anymore without thinking "one day I'll have bury you and I'll feel like chit again".

Life is better with a dog for sure.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 03/01/21
They always go to soon, I feel the pain. Over the Rainbow bridge we will meet again. Our BRT is 9, starting to have health issues. Dreading the day.
Posted By: 280Rem1 Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 03/01/21
They are amazing friends.
We tell them when they can play, when they can't. We feed them what WE want to feed them on OUR schedule. We take them out to potty at OUR convenience. We make them go outside when they don't want to, and make them come inside when they want to stay out.
Yet... they still love us and their whole being is dedicated to just spending time with us.
Truly amazing creatures.
I am sorry for your loss of Cody. One of life's most painful experiences.
Posted By: TXLoader Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 03/01/21
Sorry for your dog's passing.

Dogs form a unique connection to us. When they pass to their rest, it is like a family member passing.

I lost my oldest dog last November. I still keep his collar in the truck. He was 17.

RIP for your dog.

Blessings,
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 03/01/21
Hate to hear this. I too have a big yellow Lab. Koa boy just turned two.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 03/01/21
Cody looks like a real champion ,RIP .
Posted By: memtb Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 03/01/21

Very sorry for your loss! Many of us know your pain! They are wonderful creatures, and leave a huge void in our lives when we lose them! memtb
Posted By: HughW Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 03/01/21
Sorry for your loss. Pretty obvious the attachment between you and Cody was mutual trust and love. They are never here with us long enough.
Wish you the best and would suggest starting to consider another companion as Cody would want you as a dog person to be happy.
Posted By: foxs Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 03/01/21
Sorry for your loss. It is not easy.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 03/01/21
Bummer. Lost a terrier about 4 years back, and it takes Cookie a long time to get over such. Comments now suggest she's ready for another go around. Told all she was an under cover German Police dog.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: kingston Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 03/01/21
What a cutie. I'm sorry for your loss.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 03/01/21
Amazing how attached one can become to a beast that cannot even speak
I’m sorry to hear of the loss of your bud. You were certainly blessed to have such a fine dog! He was a sharp one, for sure. My Dad has to put his dog down tomorrow, and he is crushed about it. Ok boy was almost 15 years old.
Posted By: 338Rem Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 03/01/21
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I’m sorry to hear of the loss of your bud. You were certainly blessed to have such a fine dog! He was a sharp one, for sure. My Dad has to put his dog down tomorrow, and he is crushed about it. Ok boy was almost 15 years old.

Sorry to hear. Gonna be a hard day for your dad. If you can, give him a hug.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Lost my dog yesterday. - 03/01/21
338, condolences and all that. I'm sure you provided well for Cody. He's gone on now and is just "around the bend" where you can't see him.
© 24hourcampfire