Home
Posted By: LJBass New Bulls - 03/01/21
Everyone wants to talk about Bill Gates getting rid of Cattle. If you som' bitches don't each your meat, my bulls will be in the unemployment line. I think they would rather just work, Hell if breeding was my job, I'ld take it pretty serious too.
PS. I haven't liked that Red Angus for years, He eats a ton and still won't hold condition, Looks like a steer. That's what happens when you buy a young bull based solely on numbers. Hopefully I can phase him out here pretty soon.
Posted By: Bljc30 Re: New Bulls - 03/01/21
Those are some studs!
Posted By: AKduck Re: New Bulls - 03/01/21
He will have work. No worries. Keep doing the good work. I’ve got 4 little ducks that eat beef like it’s a job.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: New Bulls - 03/01/21
Son Jake just added up what we've spent on bulls the last ten years. cry

"Bulls are half the herd"
Posted By: SamOlson Re: New Bulls - 03/01/21
Straight back but too bad he's the wrong color LJ.....grin
Story is, red's have better temperament?
Depends on the herd.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: New Bulls - 03/01/21
Mine are Black Angus. You know what they say...........once you go black, you never go back.

Only applies to cattle eek
Posted By: LJBass Re: New Bulls - 03/01/21
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Straight back but too bad he's the wrong color LJ.....grin

Truth of that matter is. I'ld have nothing but Black baldies if we were going on looks, but I grew tired of them standing in the shade, humped up, slobbering, bad feet from the Black angus side. I'm hoping the reds will handle the heat, humidity, and toxic fescue better.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Story is, red's have better temperament?

The angus breed has done a lot of work in the last 20 years to solve that.
2 of the 3 of these are a composite known as South Polls, I haven't even seen a cow get high headed in any of the herds I've toured. Very calm.
It's a regional thing.
Posted By: ldholton Re: New Bulls - 03/01/21
Wanting to do some beefmaster bull on Angus heifers. And eat chitt bill
Posted By: JohnGlenn Re: New Bulls - 03/01/21
Ol' greg Judy would approve of that slick hide south pole. Good luck with them.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: New Bulls - 03/01/21
Nice bull LJB! I really like that one.

Originally Posted by JamesJr
Mine are Black Angus. You know what they say...........once you go black, you never go back.

I let a Hereford in on my brangus cows... Calves are mostly black. Black baldy calves bring decent money down here. Surprisingly, white Brahman calves bring the most $$ through the ring here. The more floppy they are and humpy they are the more money they bring.

Not gonna raise 'em though. I doubt my pens are good enough... wink
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Nice bull LJB! I really like that one.

I let a Hereford in on my brangus cows... Calves are mostly black. Black baldy calves bring decent money down here. Surprisingly, white Brahman calves bring the most $$ through the ring here. The more floppy they are and humpy they are the more money they bring.

Not gonna raise 'em though. I doubt my pens are good enough... wink

Barry, I grew up with Polled Hereford cattle, as that's what we raised. For whatever the reason, you just don't see them around here much anymore, at least not in a commercial herd. The black baldy calves here do sell good, and you see quite a few of them. My bull is a registered Angus, the cows are all black, but most of them have some other breeds in their bloodline.

My next bull will most likely be something other than Black Angus. I'd just like to try something different. If I were starting over, I'd take a long look at those Red Angus that LJB showed us. But, they are a breed that doesn't seem to be very popular around here either.
Two thoughts.

I'm told the "Eared Cattle" can shake off bugs by wiggling their skin.

They have a thick hide.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: New Bulls - 03/01/21
South poll.

Not heard of that one.

Most bulls you buy these days are garbage.

Thin in the hips and shoulders.

Smaller than the cows. Barely fertile.

No milk...no maternal.

Feminine.

We gave up too much for the sake of "calving ease".
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
South poll.

Not heard of that one.

Most bulls you buy these days are garbage.

Thin in the hips and shoulders.

Smaller than the cows. Barely fertile.

No milk...no maternal.

Feminine.

We gave up too much for the sake of "calving ease".

Yeah, the big selling point for most of them is "calving ease". Now, having said that, if you've ever lost a cow trying to have a big calf, or lost a calf because it was simply too big, then it is something to think about. But, as you say, bulls aren't supposed to be little bitty things.
Son Jake works many hours each year picking bulls. Again, "The eye of the master fattens the heard".

You Angus folks might look over Kenny Angus.
Posted By: johnw Re: New Bulls - 03/01/21
Angus is still the most common beefer here.

Belties and murray grays are popular with the smaller operations and at the locker plants.
Posted By: johnw Re: New Bulls - 03/01/21
Seems odd but holstein steer calves are rated highly at the locker plants, too...
Posted By: roundoak Re: New Bulls - 03/01/21
I have both red and black Angus bulls. Their calves sell at the livestock exchange, what more can I say.

P.S. Charolais bulls have been in the herd, too.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: New Bulls - 03/01/21
Have a guy up the road that raises red angus. Buy one a year to fill up the deep freezers of mine and my mom. Averages about $3 a pound butchered.
Posted By: LJBass Re: New Bulls - 03/01/21
Son Jake works many hours each year picking bulls. Again, "The eye of the master fattens the heard".

Not my style of Angus. I looked hard at Ohlde, but they arent raised on fescue or heat. Seemed like an up hill battle.
Calvo family would be my next stop for Reds.

Originally Posted by johnw
Angus is still the most common beefer here.

Belties and murray grays are popular with the smaller operations and at the locker plants.

I have a Murray named Yogi in the AI tank. Along with several Herefords from this company.
https://www.sustainablegenetics.com/beef-sires/murray-grey/

All depends on what you are after.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: New Bulls - 03/01/21
This is jwp475s little pet.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

dave
Posted By: jwp475 Re: New Bulls - 03/01/21
Originally Posted by dave7mm
This is jwp475s little pet.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

dave

Thanks Dave
He is 3 1/2 in the photo. I cross on my Angus cattle adds immunity and low birth rates
He weighed 1200 pounds at 25 1/2 months
Those horns would look nice on the front of of a 1968 Cadillac.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: New Bulls - 03/01/21

Many hours? Thats what they make EPDs for. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree in Iowa either it seems.
In 1988, n Angus cow, number 149, had me on her back. I'm glad she was a poled breed. I retired that number for many years.
Posted By: mlschnei Re: New Bulls - 03/02/21
This is thread is really strange.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: New Bulls - 03/02/21

Had a neighbor's longhorn bull get in our cows one year out west of here...

Had 9 crossbred longhorns result from that. frown

Our cattle buyer had a sharp eye and cut them all out. Every single one.

Had to load those SOB's in the trailer and drive them over 100 miles to the sale barn, where they brought what longhorns generally bring through the sale ring.... whistle

Next year I had 5 calves that were longhorns. I just put them in a pen by IH10 and put a sign by the pens saying "Free Calves!"

Came back that afternoon, and I'll be damned if there weren't 8 head of longhorns in there! laugh

(Kidding about the last part... but not about having to take the cut out ones to the sale.)
Posted By: wabigoon Re: New Bulls - 03/02/21
Time was when a cow needed horns to protect her calf.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: New Bulls - 03/02/21

Had a neighbor's longhorn bull get in our cows one year out west of here...

Had 9 crossbred longhorns result from that. frown

Our cattle buyer had a sharp eye and cut them all out. Every single one.

Had to load those SOB's in the trailer and drive them over 100 miles to the sale barn, where they brought what longhorns generally bring through the sale ring.... whistle

Next year I had 5 calves that were longhorns. I just put them in a pen by IH10 and put a sign by the pens saying "Free Calves!"

Came back that afternoon, and I'll be damned if there weren't 8 head of longhorns in there! laugh

(Kidding about the last part... but not about having to take the cut out ones to the sale.)

Must have been a small bull. I cross mine on Angus and no one knows the difference

Longhorn beef is lower in fat and collestrol than white meat chicken
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: New Bulls - 03/02/21
Originally Posted by jwp475

Must have been a small bull. I cross mine on Angus and no one knows the difference

Yeah, it was a small bull. But tore the hell out of my pens before the owner came and got it.

Yeah, longhorns are lower in fat. But that's why they have an earned reputation for being tough. Some folks want fat on their beef for a reason. wink
Posted By: jwp475 Re: New Bulls - 03/02/21
Originally Posted by jwp475

Yeah, it was a small bull. But tore the hell out of my pens before the owner came and got it.

Yeah, longhorns are lower in fat. But that's why they have an earned reputation for being tough. Some folks want fat on their beef for a reason. wink

I process and sell longhorn beef and it isn't tough as long as it isn't overcooked. Without the fat longhorn beef cooks faster and should be cooked on lower heat. I think it is the best tasting hamburger I've ever eaten

© 24hourcampfire