Home
I'll apologize upfront if I offend anyone, but here goes...........it seems like every day there's a new thread on here about no ammo or reloading supplies, and when they can be found, the prices are out of line. Listen up, but if you're in a position where you were caught empty handed, and have been forced to pay high prices.................it ain't anybodies fault but your own.

If the supply of ammo or reloading supplies were to suddenly disappear, and nothing could ever be had again, I'd be okay for the rest of my life, and I suspect many others on here would be as well. I might not be able to shoot as much as I'd like to, but I have enough stuff that I've acquired over the years, that I will never run out of ammo, powder, bullets, or primers. Now, I might have to use a powder-bullet combination that I wouldn't have normally used, but I could get by. So, why are people in the situation they're in.

I believe in always having an emergency fund, whether it be money, food, fuel, or whatever, and stuff to shoot is an important part of that fund. I've never understood why some folks will spend money like a drunken sailor, then when hard times hit, and they're short on funds, they act as if it's not their fault, and someone is always out to get them. A smart man plans ahead, and always has something for a rainy day, which in this case, it means he doesn't have to pay a dollar a round for 9mm ammo, or $200 for a brick of primers, or $75 for a can of powder.................because he bought such items where they were available at fair prices, instead of blowing his money on chit that's long gone, and only lasted a little while.

As I said, I don't want to offend anyone, as this has nothing to do with who has plenty of money and who doesn't. Instead it has to do with thinking ahead, and planning for hard times, and rest assured, hard times almost always happen at some point in time. Given the current political situation, and the assault on the 2A that's been going on for years, ANYONE who owns guns and uses them, should have been planning for something like we're going through now, and not be caught with their pants down. In short, if you're out of something to shoot, you really have no one to blame but yourself.
Well said James.
but, but, but,

all mine fell out of the boat, or got froze, or stolen or ruined in the flood.............

jeez, what'sa guy 'spozed to do to replace all that stuff.

Quien Sabe,

GWB
James.

You are talking about personal responsibility. In this day and age a great majority of people don't think they are responsible for themselves.
For example, the.gov has mandated masks not to protect yourself, but to protect the group that is most likely to suffer.

Anyway, enough on that subject. How many poeple out there live paycheck to paycheck. A great majority. That plays into the lack of personal responsibility.
And that paycheck to paycheck mentality crosses all econimic groups. I know several that make $1 million plus that live paycheck to paycheck.

I'm like you, I take personal responsibility seriously for me and my family.

Dave
But what if your neighbor gives you a Remington 81 in 300 Savage????

😁

For some reason, nobody's feeling bad for me. Heck, I ordered from Target Sports at "panic pricing" and don't feel bad for me.......
What a fugging stellar business model.
great sentiment but it's just more virtue signaling.
There is a hording mentality that can take over.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

It's about responsibility..........something that fewer and fewer people have anymore.
The only reason anyone gets to gloat about their stockpile is because the product is mostly non-perishable and if you shoot 7 rounsd a year....you can fairly easily be set for life.

What if the country shuts down? Wheat crops fail? Exports stop?

Got a lifetime supply of bread?
Butter?

Milk?
This ammo/reloading shortage has nothing to do with being "responsible" by not purchasing enough to begin with. It's strictly about hoarders who don't shoot but think they are going to save the world from graboids, and another bunch of guys buying everything as soon as it hits the shelves in order to resale it illegally online. Some of us actually shoot often and use what they purchase, but I won't ever pay the prices right now, I'll get a different job/hobby before that.
"Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"

M

7:1-3
Give us this day our daily thread.
But deliver us from evil gougers.
Amen.
JamesJr;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking to be a good one for you folks and all in your world are well.

While I'm not precisely taking issue with what you've said, the problem with shortages and inflationary pricing in any venue is that it'll reduce the number of new entrants into the activity.

Whether there's no Tee Times available at local greens, the deer herd gets decimated by several bad winters in a row or one can't find so much as a box of .22 rimfire - all will have a negative effect on the next shift coming into that activity. As we used to say on the boards of the gun club, the local church and any successful business, if there's not a replacement coming up behind you - you're beginning the process of obsolescence.

Then too, I'll opine that at nearly 60, it's no big deal to spend "X" on something silly "just because", but I vividly recall moving here to BC after losing everything farming, having the clutch go out on our car which absorbed the emergency fund and subsequently our Christmas gifts to each other was that clutch.

Not everyone has the income level to afford to stock up on non-essentials or even essentials for that matter, I've personally been there, done that and didn't have the notepad to write the book on, you know?

Anyways sir, none of that is to say we shouldn't plan for a better day and taking responsibility is never a bad thing in my view. Again though, I've been blessed far beyond anything I could have ever done to deserve it and am thankful for that each waking morning.

All the best to you and yours as we head into longer days and warmer weather sir.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Amen.

What about the food shortages?

Will we be able to point fingers at the greedy and gluttonous farmers raping our nation by not supplying the life essential food we all need?

How dare a farmer raise the price on beef, chicken or grain.

As politicians increase downward pressure on the food supply and there becomes less production... the farmer must sell all of his production at a loss.

How dare he earn enough money to stay in business. It is simply unthinkable.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
The only reason anyone gets to gloat about their stockpile is because the product is mostly non-perishable and if you shoot 7 rounsd a year....you can fairly easily be set for life.

What if the country shuts down? Wheat crops fail? Exports stop?

Got a lifetime supply of bread?
Butter?

Milk?

Couldn't agree with you more - saving grace for some is they know how to grow the wheat, milk the cow, make the bread and butter. Don't know you other than what I've read on here but got a feeling you probably fit in that group that could figure it out as well.
[align:right][/align]Hahahaha! It wouldn't be the farmer CashisKing.

It would be some fugging middle man who bought it all...caused a shortage and sold it to you.

Great lecture.

Kinda like you alotta times huh????
Wishing you could have come up with all right???
Animosity??????
I can get what I need at gun shows and I’m supporting patriots when I pay a $1 a pop for 9mm.
[align:right][/align]Hahahaha! It wouldn't be the farmer CashisKing.

It would be some fugging middle man who bought it all...caused a shortage and sold it to you.

I know Jim...

But when another controls your buy... and your sell

Does that not mean that you are enslaved to a master?
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I'll apologize upfront if I offend anyone, but here goes...........it seems like every day there's a new thread on here about no ammo or reloading supplies, and when they can be found, the prices are out of line. Listen up, but if you're in a position where you were caught empty handed, and have been forced to pay high prices.................it ain't anybodies fault but your own.

If the supply of ammo or reloading supplies were to suddenly disappear, and nothing could ever be had again, I'd be okay for the rest of my life, and I suspect many others on here would be as well. I might not be able to shoot as much as I'd like to, but I have enough stuff that I've acquired over the years, that I will never run out of ammo, powder, bullets, or primers. Now, I might have to use a powder-bullet combination that I wouldn't have normally used, but I could get by. So, why are people in the situation they're in.

I believe in always having an emergency fund, whether it be money, food, fuel, or whatever, and stuff to shoot is an important part of that fund. I've never understood why some folks will spend money like a drunken sailor, then when hard times hit, and they're short on funds, they act as if it's not their fault, and someone is always out to get them. A smart man plans ahead, and always has something for a rainy day, which in this case, it means he doesn't have to pay a dollar a round for 9mm ammo, or $200 for a brick of primers, or $75 for a can of powder.................because he bought such items where they were available at fair prices, instead of blowing his money on chit that's long gone, and only lasted a little while.

As I said, I don't want to offend anyone, as this has nothing to do with who has plenty of money and who doesn't. Instead it has to do with thinking ahead, and planning for hard times, and rest assured, hard times almost always happen at some point in time. Given the current political situation, and the assault on the 2A that's been going on for years, ANYONE who owns guns and uses them, should have been planning for something like we're going through now, and not be caught with their pants down. In short, if you're out of something to shoot, you really have no one to blame but yourself.

Well said. I don't feel like I can shoot like I could till the riots started, but I'm well situated with supplies of ammo of all varieties that I shoot and carry. That was the case long before this shortage started, and as it was getting underway, I stocked up even more, while I could without paying egregious prices. The only exception being that I bought a case of .45 ACP just a bit late, so got hit hard on the price of that one case, but I had a more than sufficient supply of most everything before that, other than .45 ACP (which had been just sufficiently supplied up till then). I just wanted a more than sufficient supply of that too, so I sucked it up and paid the higher price for that one additional case. I imagine I'd be paying much more for it were I shopping for that case today, though.
Ammo is out their to be had at decent prices before it hits the private individual resale priced schit.
You gotta play the availability game at places selling it.

No biggie if ya got the time to go out and play the game.
I haven't bought a primer since I moved back from 5 years in Alberta in 2008.
Originally Posted by renegade50
Ammo is out their to be had at decent prices before it hits the private individual resale priced schit.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Sooo....a 23 year old fellow with a wife and two kids....vs a 70 year old retiree.

The 23 year old should be stocked for life?
Originally Posted by BC30cal
JamesJr;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking to be a good one for you folks and all in your world are well.

While I'm not precisely taking issue with what you've said, the problem with shortages and inflationary pricing in any venue is that it'll reduce the number of new entrants into the activity.

Whether there's no Tee Times available at local greens, the deer herd gets decimated by several bad winters in a row or one can't find so much as a box of .22 rimfire - all will have a negative effect on the next shift coming into that activity. As we used to say on the boards of the gun club, the local church and any successful business, if there's not a replacement coming up behind you - you're beginning the process of obsolescence.

Then too, I'll opine that at nearly 60, it's no big deal to spend "X" on something silly "just because", but I vividly recall moving here to BC after losing everything farming, having the clutch go out on our car which absorbed the emergency fund and subsequently our Christmas gifts to each other was that clutch.

Not everyone has the income level to afford to stock up on non-essentials or even essentials for that matter, I've personally been there, done that and didn't have the notepad to write the book on, you know?

Anyways sir, none of that is to say we shouldn't plan for a better day and taking responsibility is never a bad thing in my view. Again though, I've been blessed far beyond anything I could have ever done to deserve it and am thankful for that each waking morning.

All the best to you and yours as we head into longer days and warmer weather sir.

Dwayne

If a guy feels like he has enough ammo for the foreseeable future, he could always support a 4H shooting program or two. Or supply ammo to the grandsons of co-workers who will use it to hunt.

I reasonably believe that I have enough rimfire to last my lifetime, and keep my children and grandchildren shooting for a fair while into the future. I won't sell a single rimfire round. But I won't see local kids who would like to hunt/shoot do without either. 2500+ rounds of .22LR since New Years...
Didn't plan for this
Didn't want this
Just how it is...

And I'm still buying when the price is right... Email notifications from reputable suppliers are the way to go, if you're able to act quickly.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
There is a hording mentality that can take over.

I bought and stockpiled by the case because of high volume shooting, and because that's the cheapest way to buy, ordinarily, per round. Just so happens that those who are in that practice are also well situation come times of high prices and shortages. They just have to quit the high volume shooting to get through those times, or switch, for the most part, to black powder, pellet guns, and rimfire (which, regarding pellets and rimfire, one can stockpile in high volume in a relatively small space, so most who stockpile ammo have bunches of it).
The real question is...

Are current prices actually inflated... or is this just the new base line?

I would argue that building materials will never ever go lower than they currently are. A 2 x 4 is now over $6. I do not believe it will ever go lower than that again.

Same situation with steel and concrete.

We will never ever see $2 gas again. Most likely in 6 months it will be over $5 a gallon. There simply is no way to make the green industry to viable with low cost oil.

Many many people will argue that expensive oil is the fuel necessary for the innovative change to come.

And that expensive lumber will bring about new building construction innovations such as building a house with a 3D printer powered by solar and new age butterfly fart technology.

When capitalist markets are manipulated by the wealthy that control the political system... the rich get richer daily.

... and the poor become enslaved.

We have a systemic problem far beyond the price of ammunition and reloading components.

In 1972 there was a meat shortage, and of freezers, until there wasn't.
Way to many people feel entitled to buy what they want, when they want, at a price they want. The world doesnt work that way.
Chrony capitalism.

Very bad.
JamesJr;

Dwayne

As always, well thought-out and presented.
Originally Posted by CashisKing

When capitalist markets are manipulated by the wealthy that control the political system... the rich get richer daily.

We have a systemic problem far beyond the price of ammunition and reloading components.

Undeniably true.
Originally Posted by slumlord

I habitually lie about ammo .
You know that.

Shhhhh.....
Some of these guys dont beleive 9mm can be found from 14.99 to 20.99 in this day and age.

Or 640 rds of 5.56 for 156 bucks
Granted it is steel cased monarch.
540 7.62x39 for 179 IIRC
Steel cased monarch/ Barnaul
👍👍👍👍👍exc accurate AK ammo.
Just rebranded for academy

That was about 3 week ago at academy

They had 200 rd win white box bulky 9mm for 79 bucks IIRC.
That day also

not 2019 prices
But not private resale or full blown retard LGS C19/riot prices either.
JamesJr;

Dwayne

Even during normal times, if you are short of funds, you actually cannot afford not to buy ammo by the case, which is MUCH cheaper (during ordinary times) than stopping by your LGS for a couple of boxes of ammo on your way to the range.
Sooo....a 23 year old fellow with a wife and two kids....vs a 70 year old retiree.

Of course not.

Neither should he be retired or own his own 40 acre spread with a 4000 square foot house and a six car garage with three Ferraris.

We all find our way in the world the best we can.

The greatest kindness that we can offer to the 23 year-old is a Level Playing Field by which he can find his place.

At 23... I lived on Taco Bell $0.59 bean burritos and ramen noodles for years.

It all comes down to giving the 23 year-old a fair and honest foothold in the world from which he can climb.

Good decisions and bad decisions occur, but in a world of fair opportunity the 23-year old will make it.

In a world of unfair opportunity and manipulated markets, he will not.
My irresponsibility is hitting me so hard right now. I really should have stocked up on ammo for the gun I didn't own until a few days ago..... I keep looking in the mirror and asking myself in great shame...."Why wasn't I responsible enough to stockpile ammo for a round I didn't own a gun for?" .....I can only cry and continue shooting 12's while weeping at my 20-less state...... Whoa is me....

The Brady Bunch movie was awesome!
Me too. Paid $50 a box for what I needed.

And thankful to have found it!

-Jake

Of course not.

Neither should he be retired or own his own 40 acre spread with a 4000 square foot house and a six car garage with three Ferraris.

The greatest kindness that we can offer to the 23 year-old is a Level Playing Field by which he can find his place.

It all comes down to giving the 23 year-old a fair and honest foothold in the world from which he can climb.

Good decisions and bad decisions occur, but in a world of fair opportunity the 23-year old will make it.

Hell yes!

Level the playing field.

Redistribute the Wealth Comrade!
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Way to many people feel entitled to buy what they want, when they want, at a price they want. The world doesnt work that way.

Yes and No - I buy what I want, when I want (if available) and pay the price I want to pay. Call it entitlement or whatever, I still have that choice. I do agree I don't set the cost, the market does, but I do make the choice to buy or not. Economics is not hard.
A young fella was working for me a few years ago as a roofing helper. Basically he was helping get felt and shingles on the roof... doing tearoff and layout work. I was paying him $15 an hour cash.

After the job was over I had no additional work for him at that time.

A month later he asked me if I had additional work.

I told him yes. I had $10 an hour work and $50 an hour work.

He said he would take the $50 an hour work.

I asked him if he had his own HVAC gauges.

He said he did not and did not know anything about HVAC.

Of course he didn't, nor was he willing to learn as a $10 an hour helper.

People grow of their own accord...

ON A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD

Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Amen.

Lol.
We had a club meeting last night. A local gun shop owner was there. He said Remington makes about One third of the ammo. The had been shut down because of the sale of the company. He thought now that there are up and running again it won’t be long until the is ammo again.

Of course not.

Hell yes!

Level the playing field.

Redistribute the Wealth Comrade!

Absolutely, you sell me $5 a pound beef quarters and I sell you a dollar around 9 mm.

Free market Capitalism.
I can get what I need at gun shows and I’m supporting patriots Ne-Ne and Big Pop when I pay a $1 a pop for 9mm.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Undeniably true.

This IS the root cause.
There ought to be a sticky dedicated to cuhnts bragging about how much ammo or components they have.

Fugks sake
Will prices go up when Derrick Chauvin is acquitted?

Or will they go down when he "didnt hang himself"?

Prepare now... crazy times are coming.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
There ought to be a sticky dedicated to cuhnts bragging about how much ammo or components they have.

Fugks sake

Damn, you are a rough customer.

Wish we were neighbors.

Fugks sake

I believe that it is a necessary avenue to establish superiority.

Fugks sake

Wish we were neighbors.

Not unless you are down with gratuitous male nudity and sword play.

Fugks sake

Wish we were neighbors.

Aka gettin clawed up
lol

Fugks sake

Wish we were neighbors.

Not unless you are down with gratuitous male nudity...

Sorry... I don't do that Oregon stuff.
The OP is the same guy that said he made it 100% on his own.

Right after he inherited a farm.

LOL
"Chrony capitalism", Spelling error or a Freudian slip? Actually this post summarizes the situation well. A new kind of shooter's economy, so to speak.

Fugks sake

Wish we were neighbors.

Not unless you are down with gratuitous male nudity...

Sorry... I don't do that Oregon stuff.

Not quite....more of a William Wallace idea.
Good words by James, just as good or better by Dwayne.

Been on both sides of the coin.

My kids are just gettin started in Life.

I’ve got enough to cover me the rest of my life, but am a mite worried whether I’ve enough for my 3 kids lives.

In fact if they shoot half as much as I did, I in fact do not.

So have had to improvise a fair bit. I bought several laser sights to hang off their stuff, so they can dry fire regularly, I hope, to gain the ability to squeeze trigger w as little dot sight movement as possible.

Granted it’s no where near as fun as making ragged one hole groups, watching cans fly or cheap soda & milk jugs full of water explode. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Got a bit irritated w the youngest as locally there was a good supply of 10mm available locally for awhile when everything else was gone. Since he, his sister & his mom all have 10mm pistols told him to buy $1000 worth & id pay him back.

Lil f’er goofed off & it didn’t happen, now it’s all gone too.

Strange times indeed.

I feel the same way about ammo as I do about money, I’ve got a fair amount of both & am grateful for such

But it doesn’t mean I don’t feel for the folks that feel like they don’t have enough of either.

The pandemic was hard on our biz, but hit at a time when we’re closer to the end of our careers than the beginning, so we will get by.

But if this would have happened in my 30’s or 40’s I’d likely be in jail for refusing to shut down.

As it is we’re open, but biz is still way off vs pre pandemic levels.

I’m not in position to look down my nose at anyone, never have been, never will be able to.

It's about responsibility..........something that fewer and fewer people have anymore.

call it what you will, it's still just more virtue signaling. Goody for you if your azz is totally covered for every caliber, every style, every gun, every whatever, for ever and in perpetuity. Chit happens to all of us. The puffed chest righteousness is as obnoxious as the bleating from the folks that don't even have a bottle of water in the house, and blame everything but themselves.
As is always the case when anyone posts something on here, there are those that get it, and those that don't. This isn't about bragging, it's about responsibility................and putting your priorities in order. But, those posters who spent their money on other forms of entertainment and fun, are now jealous of those who had the good sense to lay up a supply for hard times.

Just as I raise a garden, and fill several freezers, and have a pantry full of canned goods, I also made sure I had stuff to shoot. There's no difference...........it's not hoarding on my part, it's called thinking ahead. It has nothing to do with money either, as I'll guarantee you that my money comes as hard to get as the next man's does. But, I don't waste mine on frivolous chit that's here today, gone tomorrow......and that's what I see about some of you...........you're the "live for today, worry about tomorrow when it gets here" kind of people. And.....when tomorrow gets here, and you don't have anything, you go to blaming the ones who were smart enough to put something back.

I said in my OP that it was not my attention to offend anyone, but you sure can see the toes I stepped on here............and by knowing some of you as I do, I'm not in the least bit surprised.
Mannlicher called it pretty accurately.

Stings don’t it?

Fugks sake

Wish we were neighbors.

Now I have a box full of pm’s asking my zip code. Damn you Jim.

Cash, I’d like to think I make a good neighbor. smile
Mannlicher called it pretty accurately.

Stings don’t it?

As I said, you can tell who had good sense and who didn't

Stings, don't it................of course it does.........lol

Your command of the obvious is quite impressive.
The OP is a bull schidt braggart from KY

Bob
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Not really, just tired of hearing people gripe about either not having anything to shoot with, or having to pay outrageous prices. You farm........right. Don't you make sure that your cows have hay for the winter? In reality, not much difference from what I'm saying.

Not really, just tired of hearing people gripe about either not having anything to shoot with, or having to pay outrageous prices. You farm........right. Don't you make sure that your cows have hay for the winter? In reality, not much difference from what I'm saying.
If you get tired of hearing about people not having ammo, then simply don't read it. Simple problems sometimes do have simple solutions. No thanks necessary.
I D G A F......at all.

call it what you will, it's still just more virtue signaling. Goody for you if your azz is totally covered for every caliber, every style, every gun, every whatever, for ever and in perpetuity. Chit happens to all of us. The puffed chest righteousness is as obnoxious as the bleating from the folks that don't even have a bottle of water in the house, and blame everything but themselves.

Sam! Well stated!
Originally Posted by deflave

LOL

Damn shame he didn't buy the farm.
It seems as though this has turned to a "who can afford and who can't afford" thread. Imo it is more of folks not prioritizing rather than affordability in many cases.
None of the younger generation seems to think anything of buying themselves a Red Bull or some other non necessary item just to satisfy a momentary need but yet they could have bought a box of 22 LR cartridges with the amount of money they spent on a drink to satisfy a momentary craving. It is called prioritizing - something that seems to be a foreign concept to a lot of folks. So instead of having some $2.50 per box ammo to shoot they now have to pay $6.00 - $7.00 per box. In most cases they will do nothing more than buy them selves another Red Bull and complain about how they cannot affored to buy ammo.

If most of the complainers would have skipped the stop at the fast food restaurant, or doing something as simple as when away from home bringing water from home to drink instead of buying bottled water they would not have anything to complain about because they would have had the money to buy when the price was reasonable.

I have one daughter who is like me in that she spends her money wisely, not on frivolously, I have another daughter and a son who are both always broke but neither of them have a second thought about eating out a couple of times a week or having food delivered by Grubhub of one of the other delivery services, or keeping credit cards maxed out. Prioirities are lacking in their case just like they are in good part of "instant gratification" society".

drover
Wife and I bought our first house in fall 2020. We spent a couple years saving up for it, and didn't have room in our 1 bedroom apartment for a reloading bench or a hoard of ammo.
Timing sucks for me because now I have a garage with a nice workbench and can't find schit for tools or reloading components, and now having to pay double for ammo that I didn't needlessly buy two years ago because I was scrimping for that down payment and getting out of personal debt.

You're right -- I prioritized having a place to live and having less debt, and I'd make that decision again. But it sure does suck for us responsible folks who are now very low on options for reloading and/or affording ammo.

And I've never bought a redbull in my life, fwiw.
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Sam! Well stated!
heheheh Indeed.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by deflave

LOL

Damn shame he didn't buy the farm.
The OP is a retard and yet he shades you by about 20 IQ points.
Originally Posted by 907brass
Wife and I bought our first house in fall 2020. We spent a couple years saving up for it, and didn't have room in our 1 bedroom apartment for a reloading bench or a hoard of ammo.
Timing sucks for me because now I have a garage with a nice workbench and can't find schit for tools or reloading components, and now having to pay double for ammo that I didn't needlessly buy two years ago because I was scrimping for that down payment and getting out of personal debt.

You're right -- I prioritized having a place to live and having less debt, and I'd make that decision again. But it sure does suck for us responsible folks who are now very low on options for reloading and/or affording ammo.

It will be available again. You did the right thing. Congrats on being responsible and don't let the haters get you down. In the meantime, think about buying a good airgun and some pellets to keep practiced up. They come in danged handy in most places anyway.

feel better Jimmy boy...........

now that you have taught us all a lesson.

What cals. you short??

Fugks sake

I believe that it is a necessary avenue to establish superiority.

Superiority is only an illusion when the guy who doesn't wave his dick around broadcasting his supposed superiority shows up with more stuff than you have & kicks your ass.
Just an observation...

Most folks who say "I'm set for life on ammo" don't shoot.

If you're someone who shoots, the component shortage is painful. The price increase and buying to scalp is a double painful. I don't have a stockpile to sit on, I have a stockpile to shoot.....but I have to replace components and I don't want to stop shooting.

For some of us it's not about being irresponsible or lack of foresight, it's about being limited in how long we can continue to do what we like to do.

It will be available again. You did the right thing. Congrats on being responsible and don't let the haters get you down. In the meantime, think about buying a good airgun and some pellets to keep practiced up. They come in danged handy in most places anyway.

Good advice.

Don’t worry about that old crusty Boomer , James.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
My irresponsibility is hitting me so hard right now. I really should have stocked up on ammo for the gun I didn't own until a few days ago..... I keep looking in the mirror and asking myself in great shame...."Why wasn't I responsible enough to stockpile ammo for a round I didn't own a gun for?" .....I can only cry and continue shooting 12's while weeping at my 20-less state...... Whoa is me....

There are some well thought out post on this thread. Yours however just happens to probably be the most stupid post that’s been posted on this site in at least two weeks time.
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky

There are some well thought out post on this thread. Yours however just happens to probably be the most stupid post that’s been posted on this site in at least two weeks time.

I'm thinking that the lack of a sarcasm icon has struck yet again.

Thanks for the encouragement and airgun advice. I have used this time to begin in traditional archery -- something I've been intending to do for a while now. It has been a frustrating and fun time so far, plus it sure is nice to pick up an arrow and shoot it again. No unwanted holes in my house...yet...

I understood perfectly that he was trying to be sarcastic but the comparison he made he failed miserably at it. His post in no way compares to to the point the OP was making. No one in their right mind would expect you to have a cabinet full of ammo for a new to them rifle someone just bought a few days ago in cartridge they didn’t have before in this environment

Dammit Jay, you shoulda known better
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

"Entitled" to spend my hard earned money however I want? GMAFB...
My only issue with the ammo shortage is that the wife bought me a 308 Win for Christmas and I had never owned a rifle in that caliber. So getting ammo has been a challenge but I have scrounged up brass, bullets, powder and dies and I had primers. I had to pay more for it than I normally would have, but I got it. I have hundreds of rounds of ammo for the other rifles I own, but until Dec I had zero use for any 308 Win items. I'm pretty sure I am not the only one in this type of circumstance so it isn't a matter of not being "prepared" but rather of not previously having any need.
Originally Posted by Mac84

Thats dumber'n hell.
No one can 100% prepare for every eventuality that may come to pass. No matter how conscientious a person may be in attempting to anticipate and prepare for as many as he can identify, to the extent that he is able, there will come a time when either his preparation proves inadequate or something that he did not see coming strikes. When that happens, there will be plenty of people who either stockpiled more than he did or who prepared for that particular eventuality who will be only too glad to wave their dicks around and castigate him for the error of his ways.
The current ammo shortage is a symptom of a highly manipulated market. Firearms and ammunition markets suffer at the whims of regulators. There's no denying this. Much of the angst in these threads is a reaction to the fact that these markets are being politicized. Any claim that profiteering in the extremes of these manipulated markets is just capitalism at work, is utter nonsense.
I haven't thought about going to gun range in a couple of years now.

It sucks
If you shoot regularly, no excuse for getting caught short. No one I know fitting that description, waits until they're out of reloading supplies, before restocking.Same for those who don't reload. You wanta shoot, you buy the ammo you'll need and not just for a few range or hunting trips.

Never been a time in my adult life that I've run short of anything. Especially 22 rim fire ammo. Just how it is. Right now I'm trying to help out a few folks that need something, but it comes with a brief sermon on the subject. They are rapidly learning not to ever let it happen again.
As is always the case when anyone posts something on here, there are those that get it, and those that don't. This isn't about bragging, it's about responsibility................and putting your priorities in order. But, those posters who spent their money on other forms of entertainment and fun, are now jealous of those who had the good sense to lay up a supply for hard times.

Just as I raise a garden, and fill several freezers, and have a pantry full of canned goods, I also made sure I had stuff to shoot. There's no difference...........it's not hoarding on my part, it's called thinking ahead. It has nothing to do with money either, as I'll guarantee you that my money comes as hard to get as the next man's does. But, I don't waste mine on frivolous chit that's here today, gone tomorrow......and that's what I see about some of you...........you're the "live for today, worry about tomorrow when it gets here" kind of people. And.....when tomorrow gets here, and you don't have anything, you go to blaming the ones who were smart enough to put something back.

I said in my OP that it was not my attention to offend anyone, but you sure can see the toes I stepped on here............and by knowing some of you as I do, I'm not in the least bit surprised.

I agree ............................ They will learn , well maybe
All is not lost - I had to go to town today and while there I stopped by the Ranch Supply store and picked up a brick of Armscore 22 LR 36 gr HP ammo. I left some for other folks but I also laid in a few more for myself since gophers will be popping up in another month or so.

I have enough 22 LR ammo to last me for at least another 3 or 4 years without cutting myself back from shooting as much and as often as I want (I generally shoot 2 to 3 cases of 22 LR ammo during the course of a year).

So should I have left it on the shelf in hopes that someone who may be out and needs it buys it, or perhaps I should have left it there for guy who is going to buy it to sell on Gunbroker or at the gunshow. For me it is a no-brainer - I bought it because I will shoot it up eventually and not have to complain about being short or not finding any.

Although it was a little higher priced than I have paid for it recently I didn't complain - it has been $24.99 per brick of 50 and this time it was $34.99 per brick, but at least I didn't spend the money on a Red Bull or a latte.

drover

I understood perfectly that he was trying to be sarcastic but the comparison he made he failed miserably at it. His post in no way compares to to the point the OP was making. No one in their right mind would expect you to have a cabinet full of ammo for a new to them rifle someone just bought a few days ago in cartridge they didn’t have before in this environment

I typed it with a smile. I'm so sorry it hurt your feelings. Thanks so much for correcting me and setting me straight. May you always find joy searching for wisdom on public forums and bobbing for apples in septic tanks.

Thats dumber'n hell.

Ain't it though.....
Spent all that money on white claws and window tint

laugh
Those of us that have been around for awhile know that it seems like we go through these cycles. The Clinton shortage, the obama shortage and now the Biden shortage. We should be stocked up. I know of a couple of guys that just got into hunting buying guns in the last couple of years that are not stocked up. I can understand that. You do not need a lifetime supply, but have more than this year.

Thats dumber'n hell.

Ain't it though.....

I have 67,000 rounds of 577 Snyder just in case I ever buy one.

To do otherwise is ridiculous.
Originally Posted by kingston
The current ammo shortage is a symptom of a highly manipulated market. Firearms and ammunition markets suffer at the whims of regulators. There's no denying this. Much of the angst in these threads is a reaction to the fact that these markets are being politicized. Any claim that profiteering in the extremes of these manipulated markets is just capitalism at work, is utter nonsense.

F'in A Cotton.

Your post is probably some sort of trap...but I dont care.

Aint much "free" about this market....or markets.

laugh

What flavor white claw and what shade of window tint?
Hell, I have a couple of spam cans with 5.45 and I don't even own a 5.45.

Will trade for any other caliber.

Except .270...

laugh

You forgot the Hennessy.
Just an observation...

If you're someone who shoots, the component shortage is painful. The price increase and buying to scalp is a double painful. I don't have a stockpile to sit on, I have a stockpile to shoot.....but I have to replace components and I don't want to stop shooting.

For some of us it's not about being irresponsible or lack of foresight, it's about being limited in how long we can continue to do what we like to do.

Nail on the head.

People like Lil James shoot their mouth. That’s it.
Just an observation...

Exactly....i went from shooting at least 1000 each of 9mm AND 5.56 a month pre-scamdemic to barely shooting much at all. What I do shoot anymore is usually via a 22lr conversion kit out of an AR and my so far super reliable Taurus Tx22. I have 10s of 1000s of 22lr left so not worried about running out of it. I do have a sizeable stash of ammo for each caliber I own, but am trying to use it as sparingly as possible due to difficulties replacing it.
Even the dullest student of modern history that likes to shoot would have been somewhat prepared today.

Before I retired I invested aggressively in ammo and semi-auto carbines at wholesale prices. I am far from prescient but every gunstore/range in the country had a poster Of obammy as history's greatest gun salesman{grin]

I dryfire more now and run all pistol and carbine drills at smaller targets that are farther away on the timer.

Shooting an 8" steel off hand at 100 will make you concentrate. Getting a SS 3-9 HD scope w/ a MQ reticle will make you blame yourself for misses past 200 yards.

My 2 highly successful sons are buying 9mm and 5.56 ammo from me at gougers prices and having to endure my guffaws and daily texts saying "I told you so".

#boomersrockandwillshootyouintheeye

mike r
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Even the dullest student of modern history that likes to shoot would have been somewhat prepared today.

Before I retired I invested aggressively in ammo and semi-auto carbines at wholesale prices. I am far from prescient but every gunstore/range in the country had a poster Of obammy as history's greatest gun salesman{grin]

I dryfire more now and run all pistol and carbine drills at smaller targets that are farther away on the timer.

Shooting an 8" steel off hand at 100 will make you concentrate. Getting a SS 3-9 HD scope w/ a MQ reticle will make you blame yourself for misses past 200 yards.

My 2 highly successful sons are buying 9mm and 5.56 ammo from me at gougers prices and having to endure my guffaws and daily texts saying "I told you so".

mike r

Lol.
Everyone does what they do based on their own particular set of circumstances and perceived needs.

Down grading each other for having or not having does no one any good, and in most cases, the one doing the down grading doesn't have a clue about the circumstances the other person lives with.

Bottom line is that its unfortunate that we are going through, once again, what has become a fairly common situation in a shooter's life. But no one is necessarily right or wrong in terms of having or not having.
The Walking Dead is just a TV show. No...really it is.

mike r

#GetAdoptedByAnyoneButLVMIKER
Jimmy shot 28 rounds of 6 five queer
Originally Posted by BobBrown

No, just convince everyone that has ammo not to buy any more that way the demand and the problem will go away.

No 8mm Lebel? Fuggin millenial.
Originally Posted by auk1124

No 8mm Lebel? Fuggin millenial.

How could I have forgotten.....

laugh

What flavor white claw and what shade of window tint?

If it ain't limo, you ain't rollin'

Thats dumber'n hell.

Ain't it though.....

Not to mention irresponsible.
Originally Posted by drover
All is not lost - I had to go to town today and while there I stopped by the Ranch Supply store and picked up a brick of Armscore 22 LR 36 gr HP ammo. I left some for other folks but I also laid in a few more for myself since gophers will be popping up in another month or so.

I have enough 22 LR ammo to last me for at least another 3 or 4 years without cutting myself back from shooting as much and as often as I want (I generally shoot 2 to 3 cases of 22 LR ammo during the course of a year).

So should I have left it on the shelf in hopes that someone who may be out and needs it buys it, or perhaps I should have left it there for guy who is going to buy it to sell on Gunbroker or at the gunshow. For me it is a no-brainer - I bought it because I will shoot it up eventually and not have to complain about being short or not finding any.

Although it was a little higher priced than I have paid for it recently I didn't complain - it has been $24.99 per brick of 50 and this time it was $34.99 per brick, but at least I didn't spend the money on a Red Bull or a latte.

drover

Well, it looks like there was a pricing error on the Armscor, I just looked at my receipt and it was $29.99 per box rather than the shelf price of $34.99. I feel so bad that I will probably take it back tomorrow, even though it will be a 120 mile round-trip drive I feel that it would just be the right thing to do.

drover
I'm not willing to be inconsiderate of the people that just turned 18 or 21 or even those who just realized they should be armed and skilled with their arms. I also don't resent anyone selling their property for the price of their choosing or what the market will bear at auction. They bought it. It's theirs to do with as they want. People are free to have their opinions too. I would just lament to see freedom in the market constrained by force.

Personally, I reload and I stocked up for 3 to 4 years worth of the components I use at the end of 2019. I've also slowed down my rate of consumption because of some classes and schools being canceled. I have not sold any because I expect to use it all. I am short on small rifle primers. I was not expecting to go through so many, but I am mentoring youth for deer hunting and they went through about 1200 last year. I have about 450 left. I never foresaw shooting deer rifles that much myself. I'd like for them to have more to practice with this summer, but if that doesn't happen, we'll certainly still be hunting. We only get one tag each around these parts.

mike r

lessons for the youth of tomorrow
Originally Posted by Slavek

No, just convince everyone that has ammo not to buy any more that way the demand and the problem will go away.

Oh ok. I’m sure no one has thought of that. GFY
Take the enemy's ammo.

Thats dumber'n hell.

Ain't it though.....

Not to mention irresponsible.

I'm learning from this. My next move is to stock up on White Claw and Red Bull. Pink BC is the future.

I'll not be caught ridiculously irresponsible again, from now on I'm determined to be smarter'n hell with my responsible ridiculousness.
Just an observation...

Good post
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Take the enemy's ammo.

Good Idea !
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Just an observation...

Good post

Yeah.

Basically, I'm only shooting 22lr handgun for practice. "Real" ammo is just shot for the stages at USPSA league.

🤣🤣

JamesJr, it is real simple if Americans do not like current prices asked for ammo they should not buy any. If enough people do that the prices will stabilize and may eventually go down.

🤣🤣

Those Europeans are sure smart!

AMMO is the new Toilet paper.
Originally Posted by cisco1

Doesn't seem like it would be terribly comfortable to use and not do all that good a job either.
Feel better, now that you have schooled those who may have run a little short..

Perhaps you have an Aesop Fable you would like to add for emphasis....something about not being arrogant or banging ones head on the wailing wall?
Originally Posted by cisco1

Spring is here.

In days of old
When Knights were bold
And before the toilet was invented

They left their load
Beside the road
And walked away contented.

OF COURSE there was a creek beside the road to wash their back sides.
I am currently showing my brother the reloading ropes.
He had zero interest in reloading until we started having our latest fun.
I'm trying hard to walk the fine line between helping and enabling, and
will be curious to see if he sticks with it if we ever get outta' the ditch.
Ammunition is nothing other than another hard commodity such as dollar bills, silver, gold, medicine or food.

If you have surplus money or ammunition you use it as you see fit.

If you have just enough... you will use it sparingly.

If you do not have enough you will need to exchange another hard commodity such as dollar bills, silver, gold, medicine or food to acquire what you need.

Former President Obama paid in Hope.

Lots and lots of Hope.

You can't buy dick with Hope.

Biden pays in lies.

Lies will buy even less.

Prepare now, hard times are coming.
. In short, if you're out of something to shoot, you really have no one to blame but yourself.

Before the shortage started, to save myself making repeated trips during the summer I bought 50 flats of target 12 Gauge ammo. 12,500 shells, which maybe would get me thru the season....Maybe not, depending.

If it doesn’t, thanks for the lecture on self blame and irresponsibility....I really should have bought more...Then again, I’m not as smart as you Aesop, but I’m sure you will never run short of fables to show us the way.
Good post.
We were sitting under some spinning snow geese yesterday, and I can tell you, that no one acted like there was an ammo shortage. Extended mags and dumping shells. At some point, i looked around and said, "what ammo shortage?" 😂
People acting smart, after the answer became obvious to all is always good for a laugh....
© 24hourcampfire