Home
Posted By: wabigoon "The Show Me State"? - 03/04/21
Anyone from Missouri?
Posted By: papat Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/04/21
Lived there almost 40 years.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/04/21
Quite a legacy.[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Yes, born here. Family from both sides were here since before the War of Northern Aggression. One branch had a few bouts of give and take with Jim Lane's Kansans. The metropolis of Fristoe,MO. was named after an ancestor on Mom's side.
Posted By: Duckhunter Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/04/21
Yep...born and raised...still here.
I've enjoyed baseball games at old Bush, and the new Bush stadium.
The tour of the Arch.

Fort Léonard Wood, not so much.
Pretty country around the Fort though. Quite a few good sized springs in that area and a few streams with trout.
Posted By: byron Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/04/21
My wife is. We lived south of Pacific for about a year. Love the Ozarks. We visit her sister on Table Rock lake once a year to go fishing.
I understand they make a bit of beer in St Louis?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/04/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Well, purportedly so, but it can't be anything but cow piss because it is a national (international) brand rather than some obscure regional brew, or better yet, the product of some micro-brewery somewhere.
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Well, purportedly so, but it can't be anything but cow piss because it is a national (international) brand rather than some obscure regional brew, or better yet, the product of some micro-brewery somewhere.

laugh

Partial rice beer, no thanks I'll pass. 100% barley malt or maybe with a small amount of flaked oats for body but no corn or rice in the grain bill, please.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/04/21
I wasn’t born here, but got here as fast as I could. 18 years now.
Been here since being born with exception of short stints @ Ft Jackson SC and Ft Sam Houston TX.
Posted By: slumlord Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/04/21
US Grant was too drunk to farm.

LOL

Good thing he married up, waaaay up.
Posted By: skinner Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21
Been here all my life. Next weekend will make 65 years.
Posted By: htredneck Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21
Going on 61 years
Posted By: tankerjockey Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21
Pretty much all my life other than a couple of years when I groomed race horses in Michigan and Florida.
Man, that was a lifetime ago!
Turned 60 last weekend.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21
I live thirty miles from the state line. I've lived there before. It's all right.
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21
Was born there in a little town called Sikeston. Came to East Tennessee before my 1st birthday.
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
Was born there in a little town called Sikeston. Came to East Tennessee before my 1st birthday.

Home of the throwed rolls. Leave there hungry it's your own fault.
Posted By: Torqued Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21
Lived in Missouri most of my life.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21
51 years now
Posted By: wabigoon Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21
Half of our water drains into the Mighty Mo.

Missouri is this home state of "Give em' hell, Harry Truman.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21
Nope, but live right across the border though.
Posted By: scottf270 Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21
Nearly 60 years.....near Cape Girardeau. But Eastern Montana ( my adopted second home) or Western South Dakota or Wyoming is hopefully where my future is. Just retired, waiting on the wife to retire in 4 years.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21
Originally Posted by scottf270
Nearly 60 years.....near Cape Girardeau. But Eastern Montana ( my adopted second home) or Western South Dakota or Wyoming is hopefully where my future is. Just retired, waiting on the wife to retire in 4 years.

Rush territory!
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21

Born here seventy five years ago, will be my final resting place. Ancestors came to SW Missouri around 1870 from Indiana. GW
Posted By: mark shubert Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21

BTDT - I agree!
Although, time seems to have dulled the experiences, a little. smile
Posted By: bludog Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21
Moved to Mid-MO in 1991, so about half of my 61 years has been here. Some winters are not much fun anymore. The deer hunting is very good, if you have land you can hunt - fortunately, I do. The bird hunting used to be pretty good, and I spent many winter days chasing Mr. Bob around watching some excellent GSP's working them. If you like the outdoors, as most on this forum do, it's got plenty of opportunities for hiking, hunting, fishing, biking, canoeing, camping etc... I personally prefer the less humid climate of the western states, but, we're pretty much going to stay here as we both have been blessed with long-lived parents who we'd prefer to stay fairly close to. Overall, it leans conservative politically, so you could do a lot worse than MO.
Posted By: hosfly Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21
Ive heard of it somewhere,,,
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog

Tell me about that. I have no memory of the place.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21
I've enjoyed baseball games at old Bush, and the new Bush stadium.
The tour of the Arch.

I would imagine there were much worse places for BCT back then. I did my Leonardwood tour in Feb-Mar.'78 and from the horror stories I was told from the more southern Forts, I was thankful for my humble beginnings.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21
Originally Posted by MPat70
Nope, but live right across the border though.

I'm in Poplar Bluff
Posted By: ldholton Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21
My whe life , roughly half way between Springfield and Joplin.

Dont really know anything about Sikeston, maybe he means Lamberts at Ozark MO.
Posted By: RKJ Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21
Yep, born here except for my time in the Military. Wife's from here too. We live in Central MO, there's 5 rivers within 23 miles of us and a whole lot of public land. Lots of outdoor things to do. Winters (the last few anyway) get down below 0 and hover there for about 2 weeks then it's around 40. A red state and blue dog Democrats except for the cities.

Lambert's, the original one, the one at Ozark came later.
They have servers wandering around with these pouched apron things full of fresh, warm and really good dinner rolls. Used to be that someone would hold up a hand or shout "over here" and they would lob a roll or two over the heads of the diners
in between. There would be rolls flying every which way overhead. Now days they just hand them to you... someone bitched after they got beaned by an errant toss. There's always got to be a crybaby f'ing things up.

The whole time you're there, you'll have servers great big bowls of beans, fried taters, fried okra and apple sauce stopping at your table to see if you want what they are serving. The meal that you order is all you can eat and everything is great. I stopped at the Ozark location and got prime rib once... I almost injured myself it was so good.

A little tip... don't fill up on the rolls while waiting for your meal to arrive...it's hard not to with the sorghum on the table. Another tip... the chicken fried steak is great and if you order the large size you might not be able to eat it all.
Posted By: FOsteology Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21
Spent a couple years there when my Dad was stationed at Ft. "Lost-n-da Woods". Folks went back for good when he retired from Uncle Sam. The Northwest part of the state is real quiet. I go back every year or two to visit and hunt deer and turkey.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21
Anyone been to the shows at Branson?

An old classmate moved to Branson, Janet Dailey.
Anyone been to the shows at Branson?

An old classmate moved to Branson, Janet Dailey.

Not to that show. Actually done excavation work for a few different projects in Branson and nearby Branson West and on the lake some of the resorts.
If you've never been to Branson one would probably enjoy some up I've been around it too much I avoid it nowadays
Posted By: Duckhunter Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21
Ive been to a few shows down at Branson, work related. Some of them are pretty good.
The Landing at Branson is a pretty cool place to stay a day or 2.
The only show that I've been to is the Shepherd of the Hills as a kid with my parents. As I recall it was pretty exciting when the Bald Knobbers came riding in with their torches, masks and guns.

There's some big trout in the lake. There was a monster brown caught there 2-3 years ago... 40lb 6oz, new state record. They found one floating that was in too bad of condition to get a true weight from but based on measurements MDC biologists estimated it would have been 44 lbs,a new world record.

A couple we knew had Box Car Willie for a next door neighbor there in Branson.
Posted By: Heeler Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21
Most of my life. Raised in central MO, but now living just south of KC.
Posted By: davet Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/05/21
I was born on the east side of the state, and now live on the west side. I like the west side better. Where the woods meet the prairie.
Baldknobbers and the Presley's or amongst the oldest shows there. Dixie Stampede, they may have changed the name now with all the other political crap going on, it's truly a one-of-a-kind show. Hidden gems to me Ralph Foster Museum at College of the Ozarks. The NRA gun Museum in the back Pro national headquarters in Springfield is a good thing to see if you traveled very far to the area.
Posted By: tankerjockey Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/06/21
I have a sister living in Branson that helped plan and design that Landing area including the fountains. She worked for the city at the time and was instrumental in revitalization of the downtown area. She now is the director for the State of Missouri’s Main Street Connection and helps plan and revitalize downtown areas of small towns all over the state.
Me, I’m getting ready to build a new log home in Northeastern Missouri.
Been home for so long, it’s kinda tough to move anywhere else.
Les
Posted By: MOGC Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/06/21
I'm an Ozarker...
Posted By: cowdoc Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/06/21
I live 10 miles north of the border in Iowa, but half my practice area is in Missouri.

I grew up in family farm just south of the state line in MO. College NWMSU at Maryville, Vet school in Columbia.

Still have family farm in MO.

"Just a Missouri farm boy"
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/06/21
I've thought about the midwest someday. The hunting and fishing in Colorado has been circling the drain for quite awhile. Plus it looks like property and housing way cheaper in MO and AR. I was born in Missouri, but left in like 1975?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/06/21
Originally Posted by cowdoc
I live 10 miles north of the border in Iowa, but half my practice area is in Missouri.

I grew up in family farm just south of the state line in MO. College NWMSU at Maryville, Vet school in Columbia.

Doctor Dan, do you have to be licensed in both states?
Posted By: High_Noon Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/06/21
Watch out for Red Legs.
Posted By: tankerjockey Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/06/21
That’s a good question!
Posted By: cra1948 Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/06/21
My two adult sons relocated to Missouri, one about 15 years ago, the other more recently. With them and 5 grandkids out there I get out a couple of times a year....try to time it so I can kill a deer or something.

I love it out there, and it was on the short list when the wife and I decided to relocate. We ended up in SC with no regrets. SC has been very good to us.
Posted By: cowdoc Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/06/21
Originally Posted by cowdoc

Doctor Dan, do you have to be licensed in both states?

Yes.

And both states want tax money from me too!
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: "The Show Me State"? - 03/06/21
I live just south of Missouri. I like southern MO that I have been in. People are nice mostly conservative. Most of it is woods. Nice streams. Good roads.
© 24hourcampfire