Home
Posted By: AKCHOPPER How much Sleep Do You Get ? - 03/06/21
The last 5 years has been a rollercoaster for me. I now get these spells of insomnia that last about a week or so, where I'm only getting about 3-4 hours of sleep, some times less. shocked I just recently retired at the age of 59. It's impossible for me to sleep or nap during the day, which really sucks...I am jealous of People who can nap during the day. Besides meds, and punching the Clown, lol, any helpful tips for insomnia? Thank you.
two night ago, slept 6 hours, up once, then another 4 hours. Last night, slept 3 hours, up twice. Things vary
In the spring summer and fall I work like a dog... and sleep like a dead man on a slab.

During the winter... when there is nothing to do... sleeping sucks.
I work third shift last three years. You'd be surprised how much sleep you don't really need. At least that is what I tell myself. I get about four or five hours a day. About once a month I just crash for a day. Probably not healthy to be honest though.
Get a sleep study.
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
The last 5 years has been a rollercoaster for me. I now get these spells of insomnia that last about a week or so, where I'm only getting about 3-4 hours of sleep, some times less. shocked I just recently retired at the age of 59. It's impossible for me to sleep or nap during the day, which really sucks...I am jealous of People who can nap during the day. Besides meds, and punching the Clown, lol, any helpful tips for insomnia? Thank you.

I find what often helps is to leave the TV on. What I actually do when this is an issue is just play episode after episode of the old Andy Griffith Show that's free on Prime. They will play back to back without you having to do anything. I'm usually asleep before the end of the first episode. But it's important not to try to sleep. Actually lay in bed and attempt to stay awake and follow the story line, even if your eyes are closed.
I been falling asleep around 8:-9 and sleep until midnight then pizz then fall right back asleep until 4-4:30. Average night for me is about 7-8hrs. I don't nap during the day.
I usually get 6 hours sleep a night. Sometimes 7. Not counting my nap. Naps are good if you can do it. When I was younger I couldn't take a nap. Some where around 55-60 I mastered it.
Posted By: Nollij Re: How much Sleep Do You Get ? - 03/06/21
No caffeine after 10 AM helps me quite a bit. If you're a caffeinated pop or coffee drinker; try cutting back.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Get a sleep study.

Yep. 100%
Originally Posted by Nollij
No caffeine after 10 AM helps me quite a bit. If you're a caffeinated pop or coffee drinker; try cutting back.

I try to avoid caffeine after 3 PM or so. If I go out for supper, I drink water or a beer or both. Before I started using CPAP, I could drink iced tea or soda anytime I wanted to and still fall asleep, (sometimes driving!) Now I don't take the chance of not being able to sleep and just stay away from caffeine beyond mid afternoon.
Posted By: KFWA Re: How much Sleep Do You Get ? - 03/06/21
I normally get about 6-7 hours a night on average. Maybe once or twice a week I wake up between 2 and 3am , then I'm wide awake for a couple of hours until I get go back to sleep. That builds up and then I'll try to sleep until 8 or so on the weekends.

One thing I've done is even though I want to, I don't take a late afternoon nap and I don't drink anything after 8pm - doing everything I can to get a solid nights sleep. Because we've been doing it for years, my sleep cycle has me ready to start the day at 5am. Great if I"m a farmer, not so much with me being a suburbs guys working from home.

Started taking melatonin on days that were particularly stressful. Stress causes me to have uneven sleep. I find many times I end up having dreams of always trying to solve a problem that has no solution. Then I wake up stressed.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I find what often helps is to leave the TV on. What I actually do when this is an issue is just play episode after episode of the old Andy Griffith Show that's free on Prime. They will play back to back without you having to do anything. I'm usually asleep before the end of the first episode. But it's important not to try to sleep. Actually lay in bed and attempt to stay awake and follow the story line, even if your eyes are closed.

This
I find the TV takes my mind off issues that keep it a racing.

I also can’t sleep well in a bed that is flat, I need the head raised quite a bit.

Getting up to piss isn’t a problem, falling back to sleep afterwards is a real problem.

I prolly get 5-6 good hours a night.
5-8 hours/night. 8 hours if I do a 20-40 mile bike ride. 4 or 5 hours if I imbibe in 2 or more scotches. If you have more than one “alcohol drink”, your blood sugar level plummets several hours later, for me that’s at 2 or 3 am, and you wake up and usually can’t get back to sleep.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: How much Sleep Do You Get ? - 03/06/21
No tips for insomnia here. Haven't slept well in 15 years
About 30 yrs ago, a kid had a .220 Swift...and I had a VW bug. We traded straight across, and I have not slept well since that day.
6 to 7 hrs. Fortunately, if memory is correct, I drop off within a minute or so of hitting the pillow.
I'm of no help, years in the Army taught me to sleep when I can. I can take a nap like it's nobody's business!

I work for BNSF on call 24/7/365 with 10 hrs rest between going to work. It doesn't matter if I work 1 minute or the full 12 hrs, once I clock out I have a minimum 10 hrs before I can be called to work, but no schedule at all. I dread getting a call for work starting between 10 pm and 3 am, after eight years of doing this job I still have days where I'm not rested and going 24-30 hrs without sleep.
i take a melatonin tablet before bed and sleep with a box fan on. still get the occasional 3AM regretathon that ruins it. in summer i sleep better due to more activity. winter sucks all around for my sleep and mood.
Seriously men, most of us get by fine on 5 hours a night, almost indefinitely. But I was complaining to my Doc about not sleeping the night before a big trip. Hoping he would prescribe something for those rare occasions. He said, do what I do, take 2 Wally World Ibuprofen and one Tylenol before bedtime with a half glass of water, you will get a solid 7 or 8 hrs, without disorientation or 'hangover' the next day. He said never use an antihistamine for people over 60. Anybody heard of this?
Originally Posted by Nollij

I've stopped caffeine after noon but maybe I should stop sooner. I had a sleep study done and found I don't have apnea but I do have ~15 RLS episodes/hour which screws up my sleep. Waking up to pee at 3:00 AM often results in starting my day then. The result is I often only get 3-4 hours of actual sleep. I envy people who sleep.
Originally Posted by stomatador
Waking up to pee at 3:00 AM often results in starting my day then. The result is I often only get 3-4 hours of actual sleep. I envy people who sleep.

Yep. Started my day at 4:45 this AM for that reason.
Posted By: Reba Re: How much Sleep Do You Get ? - 03/06/21
About 9
Posted By: AKduck Re: How much Sleep Do You Get ? - 03/06/21
8ish.....Give or take depending on the wife or the kids.
6 - 7 hours
Posted By: Mossy Re: How much Sleep Do You Get ? - 03/06/21
In bed at 10pm and up at 3am
Fall right to sleep, takes no more than a minute or two, 6-7 hours and wake to piss.
I wonder how many of you who have trouble sleeping or staying asleep, are taking allergy medications. I went through a pretty bad spell of insomnia a couple of years ago. My wife eventually traced it back to the 24 hour Allegra that I had been taking. I looked up patient complaints and symptoms and 80% of people who were taking it listed insomnia as a side effect. I stopped taking it and within a week was back to my normal sleep pattern.
Posted By: Riverc Re: How much Sleep Do You Get ? - 03/06/21
I have a hard time falling to sleep.Once i do 4-6 hours is what i usually get...Sometimes if i go a few days with little sleep i might get a night of 8 or 9 hours.
Alcohol was my way of doing it for years you can say pass out.I quit 4.5 years ago because of health and it has been hard since then..
I gave up caffeine a few weeks ago from stomach ulcer from years of bad habits and long term aspirin use.Notice some improvement.I envy my wife that lady can fall asleep standing up lol.I would be very happy if i could fall asleep as fast as she does.

This help me some.... never been a good sleeper though
Posted By: JeffyD Re: How much Sleep Do You Get ? - 03/06/21
Not enough. Never enough.
Been working 3rd shift since 1980, and for most of that time either a 2nd job or vol. firefighting, so it's been a lifetime of sleep deprivation.
A 25 pound weighted blanket has sure helped my sleep quality.....
Posted By: pahick Re: How much Sleep Do You Get ? - 03/06/21
No nearly enough some days. Maybe 3 hrs. Then ill go a few days where I cant stop sleeping. 14 hrs or so. It sucks.
Posted By: hanco Re: How much Sleep Do You Get ? - 03/06/21
Five to six hours, feel good if I can get that, can make it with one or two if I have to
I get a much sleep as my body wants. I tend to rollover, and not roll out! grin I've been taking a pill each night with Melatonin. Really helps me fall asleep.
Got to bed at 11:15-11:45. Wake up between 4:30-5:00, so 5-6 hrs a night.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: How much Sleep Do You Get ? - 03/06/21
Bedtime is usually around 11:00, I wake up each morning around 05:30 or 06:00. Can't take naps, never have napped in my memory. I do know good sex helps me fall to sleep after the fact!
Usually 5-6 hours.
A decent amount of physical activity during the day,, whether working on something or exercising, helps a lot for me. Dynamic activity during the day means more deep sleep at night. It doesn't so much make me tired, but it burns all of the stress-related cortisol or whatever out of my bloodstream. But different people have different physiologies. So, different things work for different people. I also drink red wine with dinner, and often take a Benadryl about 2 hours before I want to go to sleep. Works like a charm. I generally will sleep 6-7 hours without any interruption. Generally, have the option to nap if desired for an hour or so during the day. Most times, I don't feel like it, but sometimes, I do.
Posted By: efw Re: How much Sleep Do You Get ? - 03/06/21
I typically am asleep my 10:30-11 and get up at 545 so 7-ish hours?
Depends on if there's a HOCKEY game on that night. And the wife is watching her programs. Sometimes I don't get to start the game until 10PM.

But, however many hours I get, I always seem to need more. Given no chickens to feed at sunup, or dogs to care for, paycheck to earn, etc etc I'd sleep until I woke naturally. Which, given my experience would be 8-10 hours. Doesn't happen much in today's world.

So, I'm going to take a nap now to catch up.

Because I can.

3-4 hours every night

And No goddamm “naps”

Redneck diesels, crackwhore with a dodge magnum across the holler going to get pills, my dogs, dogs down the road, trash pandas, more barking, PTSD harley davidson guy playing Luke Bryan 115 decibels on his road king at 1am, 160th SOAR Nighthawks flying NV tree top height, my college age kids making omelets at 3am, pissing a couple times.

Sheesh
6 to 8 per night depending on when I go to bed. I am up at 5 every day and get ready to fish around 6 weather permitting.
I feel better I'm not alone. lol. Five hours seems to be the magic number for me, it's the 3-4 hours for three night in a row that really fcks with my body. I think I will go for a sleep study...I can't imagine how I'm going to fall asleep under those conditions. Do they give you an Ambien to help you sleep? Or does that defeat the purpose?
Never enough sleep for me. I should just face the facts and live with about 5 hours a night. If I fall asleep after supper for an hour, I usually can go back by 10. Then I wake up at 3-4AM and that’s it for me. Despite how much I try to go back, I eventually just get up and make the coffee.
In the summer, it’s not bad, as it gives me a jump on getting something started, but it sucks in the winter when it is still dark at 7 and too freakin cold to go out.
Always figured that when I retired, I could sleep in a bit, but I guess my biological alarm is still stuck in the same mode as it was when I was working. One would think after 7 years of retirement, thing would change, but no.
5 to 6 hours if I’m lucky.
I ran for years on 5-6 hours. Now I shoot for 8. Doesn’t always happen, but it’s glorious when it does.
What is this sleep thing you speak of? It has escaped me for years. I hate to admit this but I am on meds and I take one flexeril and zolpidem once a week and crash out for 8 hours , the rest of the week 3-5 max, many nights none . Getting old ain't for wimps!
Posted By: 673 Re: How much Sleep Do You Get ? - 03/07/21
I notice quite a few people smoke a big fatty before bed.
I am stuck in farmer and military mode. Farmer - most days 9:00 pm to 4:00 am. Military - can take a power nap (15-20 minutes) any time of the day.
Routine, exercise, labor and low carbs. Get a good mattress that is on line with how you sleep.

I occasionally get 6-7 hours, but am up at 2-3 AM a lot. Just gives me more time on my feet.
Usually in bed by 10:30-11:00 , up @ 6 . With 2 pizz`rs . 7-7 1/2 hrs is normal for me.
Sometimes more,sometimes less .
Posted By: 673 Re: How much Sleep Do You Get ? - 03/07/21
I only have trouble sleeping when I have a problem to sort out. I seem to wake up and start thinking and problem solving.
When I was in Construction I had alot of nights staring at the ceiling...way more relaxed now.
Up at 4:30am every morning, no alarm clock. 7hrs of sleep is good for me.
Posted By: Scotty Re: How much Sleep Do You Get ? - 03/07/21
For years I tried to get 6 hours of sleep every night. Now that I am getting older I am trying to get 8 hours of sleep a night.
I get enough, mostly too early in the evening, awake too early.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: How much Sleep Do You Get ? - 03/07/21
19 years of night shift have me messed permanently messed up. I sleep for a few hours then I’m up.
Usually six to seven hours but the dogs get me up early. Having to pizz a time or two during the night doesn't help.
6 to 7 and I do lay down at midday. We currently have a new puppy who gets me up in the middle of the night.
My sleep is screwed up for years. Worked graveyard shift for over 20 years, then retired. Always worked a 2nd job days. Maybe I get a total of 4 or 5 hours total in two times. I go to reloading room and work on ammo. I would love to sleep all night. INSOMNIA is not your friend.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Oh God. Not me! My wife is a "TV on sleeper" and there is no way I can sleep if it's on. Many nights, I'll shut if off and she'll eventually have to go to the living room and sleep on the couch with the TV on.

I have a CPAP and that helps but I still have terrible insomnia.

I.e. posting on the 'fire at 3:54 am.
Heymo6:

I do know good sex helps me fall to sleep after the fact

I'd agree with that, but will add in that even bad sex leads to the same response.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Get a sleep study.

I used to get up 3-4 times a night to piss and try to go back to sleep. After getting a CPAP, I sleep 8 hours a night and don't get up throughout the night.
Originally Posted by 1minute
Heymo6:

I do know good sex helps me fall to sleep after the fact

I'd agree with that, but will add in that even bad sex leads to the same response.

No such thing as bad sex. Just less good.
Answer,,Never enough!
© 24hourcampfire