Home
I just had to hang up on a gentleman. I hate to do that, but no amount of trying would work? frown

Ever run into that?
Used to. Don't answer if I don't number nowadays.
Constantly - I don't hear all that well, and often get people who know the words of English but can't pronounce them or have an accent that totally distorts them.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I just had to hang up on a gentleman. I hate to do that, but no amount of trying would work? frown

Ever run into that?

He was probably a scammer, or selling you something you don't need. No reason to feel bad about hanging up on them
Yeah, I get lots of ROBO calls with Chinese chicks talking in Mandarin. I talk back to them in my version of Mandarin, they hang up when I do that.
I am forced to answer the phone, never know when a potential client is on the phone. 95% of it is spam. I have no problem hanging up, ever.
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Yeah, I get lots of ROBO calls with Chinese chicks talking in Mandarin. I talk back to them in my version of Mandarin, they hang up when I do that.

LOL What do you think you say.
I never get scam calls. I don't understand why.
No robo call, I just could not quite understand him. Frustration for both of us, I'm sure.
Hard of hearing. Can't carry on a conversation on phone.
Not calls received, but when I call a customer service line and get someone with a foreign accent I am polite and tell them the truth. i tell them that t s not their fault but I am hard of hearing and need to talk to someone with an American accent. They will almost always transfer me to someone that sounds like they are here in the States.
pain in the ass.atleast half the time when speaking to consumer product buisnesses.
I've answered those calls in Spanish, German, and Mennonite-Amish. Sometimes say "me no speaky English". They don't like talking to me.
If they can’t speak English I hang up.
I don't waste my time with them.
Corky like to play with phone and talk to new friends when they call.
I am hearing impaired so "ANY" call can be a challenge especially if they do not speak up and slowly. I alsways ask and the majority walk me through it. If it is regard to any bills, or finance matters, I give them my wife's number.
If only there was some way for a phone to identify who an incoming call is from. That would be handy.

My phone so if I don't like what I am hearing I hang up.
Bula Vinaka, Beachside!
Originally Posted by ironbender
If only there was some way for a phone to identify who an incoming call is from. That would be handy.

That would be great.

Kinda like a Caller ID blocker, blocker.

Caller id don't work for crap to id spam calls.
Constantly. My phone plays in my hearing aids, which helps a lot, but they still have to speak English.
I don’t answer if I don’t know the number
Having the Frankenstud Sling Keeper buisness I answere each phone call as it may be a client.

Sadly....robo calls rule today
Robokiller is your friend! Occasionally will block a call I want to receive, but if important, they will call back or leave message.
A number of years ago, my name got selected by an agricultural business to call and participate in their surveys. At first it wasn't too bad, as the calls were usually limited to only a few minutes. I finally got tired of participating, and asked them to quit calling me............and they did not. So, I decided to have a little fun with them. The next time they called, it was the same old routine..........how many acres are you farming, what crops do you grow, how many employees and many other like questions.

They probably thought I was the biggest farmer in the state of Kentucky, maybe even in the country, by the answers that I gave them. I guess somebody there finally figured out I was bullchitting them, because the calls finally stopped. I've also done the same thing on other phone surveys, tell them a bunch of crap, and they won't call back.

I knew a guy who used to turn the tables on the people who called, especially if they were women. He'd ask them personal questions.......like what they looked like, what they were wearing, and if they would be willing to meet up. He claimed that was a surefire way to make certain they didn't call again.
Lol, I've talked to you on the phone, of course I'm hard of hearing so there is that. grin
'speak English'........................ speak AMERICAN English.........

I am a little more patient if I need something though!
Robo calls suck. A company that has you calling into a call center were you cant understand the customer service representative is not to concerned with customer service.

Ever run into that?
Yup - finally told the lady that I need to be transferred to someone I can understand... I had to ask about four times before she got the message... Geez.....
Originally Posted by Redneck

Ever run into that?
Yup - finally told the lady that I need to be transferred to someone I can understand... I had to ask about four times before she got the message... Geez.....

I called AT&T to report my phone outage, and could not understand a word the first 2 people said. I kept asking to speak to a manager, and they eventually transferred me to someone I could understand. She was a Black lady, and I told her how much I appreciated being able to speak to someone that I could understand. I didn't tell her, but growing up around Black people, I understand them very well.
i work in IT and have hearing loss. try talking to a room full of indians and chinese on speakerphone. i usually just say "send me an email"
Do you have someone there who speaks English?

I am speaking English. In an accent dripping with fish head soup.

I can not understand you, is there someone there who speaks English.

With the phone on speaker so the caller can hear the guffaw from everyone else in the lunchroom. And then click.

Yeah, I might be an ass. I did not ask him to call me. And he could get an actual job where he builds and produces something, rather than a hustle.
“Hello?

Bawhoop

Herro?

Hello. Jason Black, Federal Bureau of Investigation. How can I help you?

Crick. Bzzzzzzzz
No speaky english. Hasta la vista vete a la chingada, pendejo

Ever run into that?

"Click!'

Just that.

I'm too old with too little time left for any of that crap. My patience has long since been tested, and for the last 10 years or so, always comes back negative.

With people.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
A number of years ago, my name got selected by an agricultural business to call and participate in their surveys.

Love the calls regarding Polls and surveys, I tell them I charge $25 for Polls and $50 for surveys. Have yet to make any money though, don't know why.

"('Metro') HOMICIDE..."

or:

"Phone Investigation Bureau..."

"Your call is monitored and recorded...please stay on the line."

"May I put you on hold?"
Been getting bombed by calls for extended auto warranty people. Not long ago, my iPhone started marking them as “Spam Risk”, and offers to reject them. Not sure if it’s the phone or my carrier. Whoever’s doing it, it helps.
Had some trouble with getting the Sirius radio receiver hooked up and running in my RV. Called the customer service number, after a couple minutes wait I got Mujibar on the line over in Bangladesh or wherever he is. Absolutely could not understand him most of the time and was like trying to carry on a conversation with a sheep. Finally got him to transfer me to the US so I could understand the person on the other end. Got a very nice lady that spoke clear native US English, got the problem solved and remarked to her how nice it was to be able to speak to someone from the US. She giggled and informed me she was in Manila PI and had never been to the US. Joke was on me, but that's alright, we both got a good laugh out of it. laugh
She probably learned Americaneze servicing US Sailors before they closed the base, or her mother did.
Mostly with tech support, which thank God, I'm rarely in need of.

Years back I was extremely impressed with Dell, as their support center was Idaho based. Guy I talked with was very familiar with my work station describing the layout and the hidden local of a dip switch I needed to address. Seems he was a retired rancher.

Last go around, it was Sahib in New Delhi, and I could hear him flipping pages as he went through a check list.
I work for a trucking company... I get every English dialect that appears on the North American Continent along with most eastern European and Cuban accents thrown in... Don't even get me started about talking to native born and raised black guys from the inner city... Goodness...

It may take me a few minuets to get up to speed on what they are saying.... but once I get there... I can get 'em...
© 24hourcampfire