Home
Posted By: SockPuppet Tequila - 03/09/21
The lovely Bride was doing some shopping the other day so I asked her to pick up a little tequila. Figured she'd just grab a bottle of the Sam's Club silver, but no! She bought Teremana Reposado small batch. Gotta tell ya, I'm not particularly a tequila snob but this stuff is seriously growing on me! https://teremana.com/pages/tequila

If you see it somewhere I recommend giving it a shot. What else would you fellas recommend?
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Tequila - 03/09/21
Chit, just realized Teremana was founded by Dwayne Johnson. Whodathunkit.
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Tequila - 03/09/21
Never developed a taste for tequila, but I’ll have a margarita once in a while when we go to taco tuesday.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Tequila - 03/09/21

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Very Smooth!

Ya!

GWB
Posted By: RDW Re: Tequila - 03/09/21
Cheap Teguila and Ginger Ale
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Tequila - 03/09/21
I used to hate the stuff, then I started dating a crazy gal. She gave me an affinity for it.

Sobered up one day and kicked her to the curb. Still like tequila though😀

Don Julia repasado is a fave. Hornitos reposado is good too for a few less shackles.
Posted By: javman Re: Tequila - 03/09/21
Myself most of the 100% agave are pretty good tequilas!
Posted By: jnyork Re: Tequila - 03/09/21
I keep a bottle of tequila under the sink at all times in case the drain gets clogged.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Tequila - 03/09/21
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
The lovely Bride was doing some shopping the other day so I asked her to pick up a little tequila. Figured she'd just grab a bottle of the Sam's Club silver, but no! She bought Teremana Reposado small batch. Gotta tell ya, I'm not particularly a tequila snob but this stuff is seriously growing on me! https://teremana.com/pages/tequila

If you see it somewhere I recommend giving it a shot. What else would you fellas recommend?

Careful
Or you might wind up growing out of the floor.....

Sauza Tres Generations (or however you spanglicize "generations) is pretty good...
Or so my lawyer informs me...
Posted By: geedubya Re: Tequila - 03/09/21
In my well spent youth, I had the pleasure of

Pulque and Mescal at Tequila bars in Mexico.

Now days my taste runs to something more smooth and less hallucinogenic.

Baby Guinness

I like the Patron Reposado better than the Silever or Añejo, but IMHO a bit too pricey for what one gets.

ya!

GWB

Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Tequila - 03/09/21
Thanks, G-Dub, I'll check 'em out!
Posted By: JeffA Re: Tequila - 03/09/21
Posted By: goalie Re: Tequila - 03/09/21
I'm allergic to tequila: I break out in handcuffs.......
Posted By: rem141r Re: Tequila - 03/09/21
Originally Posted by RDW

hmmm. is that good? never heard of that combo
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Tequila - 03/09/21
Espolon reposado right now. Good stuff.
Posted By: hatari Re: Tequila - 03/09/21
Patron Reposado for me, but Kirkland Añejo is surprisingly good!
Posted By: chris_c Re: Tequila - 03/09/21
Originally Posted by goalie
I'm allergic to tequila: I break out in handcuffs.......

HA Ha smile
Posted By: Raeford Re: Tequila - 03/09/21
Found one that I like

Distilled in Tennessee[of all places]

Of course it can't be called Tequila so it's called Tenn-Kilia.
Made from Cali blue agave and damn good.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Tequila - 03/09/21
Añejo, for the win !

Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Tequila - 03/09/21
Originally Posted by rem141r
Originally Posted by RDW

hmmm. is that good? never heard of that combo

i use to know this girl who would take off her shoe and pour tequila and ginger ale in it to drink.
she was something.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Tequila - 03/09/21
Sauza for me. IMO, the best of the really affordable tequilas.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Tequila - 03/09/21
Just tilt that bottle up and let gravity do it's thing and make that worm come on down!!!
Head is a little crunchy, body is chewy and it kinda pops intially.
But ya can win the money put on the table.
LOL!!
Mezcal.... aka snake oil...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Tequila - 03/09/21

Posted By: Whitebird Re: Tequila - 03/09/21
These 2 are very nice.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: hatari Re: Tequila - 03/10/21
Originally Posted by renegade50
Just tilt that bottle up and let gravity do it's thing and make that worm come on down!!!

No! No! No!

No bueno!

I’m surprised I remember my 18th birthday because of Mezcal
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Tequila - 03/10/21
Strait Tequila = jail.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Tequila - 03/10/21

ya!

GWB
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Tequila - 03/10/21
Herradura Seleccion Suprema.

https://www.oldtowntequila.com/herr...39-Hk3AIVk7bACh3MnA3WEAQYASABEgJVSvD_BwE
Posted By: gunzo Re: Tequila - 03/10/21
A big taste testing one night. Nothing high dollar, maybe Patron the most expensive & seemed popular with the group at the time. Several brands tried.

About 9 out of ten taste testers voted for Cazadores.

Just an observation, one shot in my life. Patron, for my b'day at a Mex restaurant. Have to admit, the salt, shot, lime, too easy. Could see where a person could jet to the next level, quickly.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Tequila - 03/10/21
Cazadores? Nah.
Posted By: mathman Re: Tequila - 03/10/21
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Sauza 100% agave is what we keep around here for our margaritas. Two ounces of tequila, one ounce of Cointreau, one ounce of fresh squeezed lime juice. Simple and tasty.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Tequila - 03/10/21

If your gonna buy cheap Tequila, Sauza Silver is hard to beat.
But I prefer Patron Silver over all other Tequilas.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Tequila - 03/10/21
Got to be Mezcal, something about getting to the bottom and the worm...
Posted By: MarkFed Re: Tequila - 03/10/21
I like Sauza ok for margaritas and such. If the wide and I are drinking it straight (as we have been this evening for her birthday celebration) we go with Hornitos.
Posted By: BigPine Re: Tequila - 03/10/21
In my misspent but very fun youth, went through a lot of this stuff. It used to have a little pack of sea salt attached to the cap . Ugh , those hangovers were epic

Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by renegade50

No! No! No!

No bueno!

I’m surprised I remember my 18th birthday because of Mezcal

Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Tequila - 03/10/21
Originally Posted by mathman

Sauza 100% agave is what we keep around here for our margaritas. Two ounces of tequila, one ounce of Cointreau, one ounce of fresh squeezed lime juice. Simple and tasty.

We do a similar.

3-2-1 margarita.

3 parts tequila, 2 parts Cointreau, 1 part Lime juice. You need to watch out. They'll put you on the floor.
Posted By: Toddly Re: Tequila - 03/10/21
I’m very partial to Suavacito’
Originally Posted by geedubya
In my well spent youth, I had the pleasure of

Pulque and Mescal at Tequila bars in Mexico.

Now days my taste runs to something more smooth and less hallucinogenic.

Baby Guinness

I like the Patron Reposado better than the Silever or Añejo, but IMHO a bit too pricey for what one gets.

ya!

GWB

When I was in HS and College, we use to fish Lake Amistad at Del Rio all the time. At night, we’d cross the Border and hit the over 100 year old bar in Acuna, Ma Crosby’s. Giant Margaritas for $1 and 25 cent Tequila shots, and beer was 50 cents.
Y’all might have heard of it, cause ole George Straight made it famous in one of his songs, “Blame it on Mexico”. 🤠

That’s exactly how they made them in the bar, Ma Crosby’s in Acuna, Mexico. I’ve been using that same recipe for 40 years. Good stuff !!!
Posted By: win7stw Re: Tequila - 03/10/21
Pretty big fan of Don Julio
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Tequila - 03/10/21
Tequila = Tekillya! When I was young I learned to stay away from Tequila. Of all the different alcohol beverages I drank. Tequila made me mad! I was always a happy drunk on other booze!
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Tequila - 03/10/21
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Strait Tequila = jail.

Yep. 19yo. Went shot for shot with a guy on two pints of Pepe, a bunch of lime wedges and salt shaker.
Then started drinking everclear. Punched a rent-a-cop at a high school football game.

Last time I drank either.
Originally Posted by win7stw
Pretty big fan of Don Julio

Tried it once. It’s not bad at all.

Some where around here, I’ve got a bottle of Tequila I bought from Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top Fame.

He’s got his on line of Tequila and he was at a liquor store in Austin doing a debut deal. Got him to autograph my bottle, so I’ve never opened it and tried it out, though. 🤠
Originally Posted by Heym06
Tequila = Tekillya! When I was young I learned to stay away from Tequila. Of all the different alcohol beverages I drank. Tequila made me mad! I was always a happy drunk on other booze!

Guess I’m one of the few folks it doesn’t affect that way. Just makes me happy and sleepy.
Back when I was in College, never had anybody beat me in a shot drinking contest with Tequila. Most of them were done after 6 or 7 shots. Wimps. Of course, I’m older and wiser now and don’t enter those kind of contests anymore. 🤠
Posted By: CRS Re: Tequila - 03/10/21
Fortaleza blanco
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Tequila - 03/10/21
Thanks for the recs, guys, I'll check 'em out. We almost always have Sauza around for the 'ritas.
Posted By: jameister Re: Tequila - 03/10/21
nice knife in that lime cutting photo...
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Tequila - 03/10/21
I've drank a wide array of Tequila's. With cost factored in, Sauza is best. 1800 and Patron are just as good, but cost more. Sometimes Espolon will be found cheaper than Sauza and if so, the taste difference is so small that Espolon gets the nod.

Really good Tequila can bump into the realm of Scotch, cost-wise. Gran Centenario Tequila Anejo
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Tequila - 03/10/21
The night of my 24th birthday we had gotten pretty wasted on beer and shot of Old Crow when we decided to crash another birthday party. The basturds handed me a glass of straight tequila telling me it was a marguerita. This produced an epic hangover with a skull splitting headache, took a day and a half to get over. Many a time drank tequila with the worm in the bottle, passed the bottle around with salt & lime till it was gone. The guy who took the last swallow and ate the worm was declared "the man" !
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Tequila - 03/10/21
This thread has potential. I drank a fifth of tequila in 1981, drove to the police department and turned myself in.

They didn't want me.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Tequila - 03/10/21
Lun Azul for my margaritas.
Posted By: mathman Re: Tequila - 03/10/21
I've got that one too.
Posted By: DMc Re: Tequila - 03/10/21
I thought this thread was going to be about howling at the moon....
Originally Posted by DMc

I've heard it said that "discretion is the better part of valor".

Some things, if/when remembered, are best kept to one's self!

Ya!

GWB

Posted By: calikooknic Re: Tequila - 03/10/21

Gotdamn we agree on something!!!

Now if you just came around to curvy women........!
Originally Posted by DMc

Don't know if I should share those kind of stories.......

However,

I've long been acquainted with the Maguey/Agave plant.

My earliest experiences were in the mid-sixties at the campgrounds at Port Isabel, and different establishments in Matamoros, Mexico. My buds and I would take our boards, bags, huaraches, $10 and hitch-hike to Port Isabel, usually for Spring Break, Easter, July 4th, and New Year’s Day. Back then I had a flat stomach and a full head of hair and could usually hook up with a chick whose dad was paying for the freight so I did not have to sleep in a tent, or in a sleeping bag in the open. Biggest negative was that I"d wake up and had thrown away my hard contact lenses and did not know where I was or how i got there. It was usually Sauza or Cuervo that was the culprit!

In the 70’s I would fly from Reynosa to Mexico City, then take a bus to Acapulco, then either go to Mazatlán or south to San Blas or Puerto Escondido. Would stay about a month, or as long as $150 would last.

Pulque was a good as mushrooms.

As to Mescal,
One could go into a hole in the wall establishment. There would be a rough hewn slab of wood that served as a bar about 10 to 15 foot long. Regular Campesinos would be there imbibing. You would enter, walk up to the bar, put your peso down and the Vato behind the bar would walk from one end to the other and pour you a shot. He’d pick up the pesos as he went. There would be salt poured out on the bar, no lemon/lime. You’d do your shot, and put another peso down. He’d come back to where he’d started and pour shots till he reached the end of the bar.

One night I remember in particular.

It was 1976. A bud and I had gone to Puerto Escondido. There, they had what they called a trailer park. It was basically a coconut palm grove. My bud and I traveled light. We had a pair of huaraches, couple shirts, couple pairs of bags and a sleeping bag each. We were able to rent a spot for $1 American per night. We tied a rope between two coconut palms and spread one bag over the rope like a tent and tied down the corners, and spread out the other bag so we did not have to lay in the sand. Helped keep the “no-seeums” at bay. We had been there a few days and a Pacific Coast Hurricane headed our way. My bud’s girl-friend had made each of us a board bag to slip our boards in. The night the hurricane hit ,I had stretched a hammock between two palms and climbed into that bag. Wind came up and was probably blowing 100 MPH. I got cold and soaked from the driving rain. Coconuts were falling all around me. I decided I did not need to be brained by a coconut. There was a Palapa in the park next to the water hydrant that served as a shower. I went there, and there were about 20 other folk crowded in trying to get out of the wind and rain. I joined them. So, 20+ hot, sweaty bodies in a confined space, where there was only enough room to stand….. Luckily a couple bottles of tequila were broke out. Sure made it much more bearable to hang till morning

Good times, and great life lessons.

Ya!

GWB

Posted By: CRS Re: Tequila - 03/11/21
I do not talk about my tequilla nights........

Any more, give me a good quality tequilla with a squeeze of lime and I am good to go. I savor one quality drink.

Any more tequilla than that and what happens, stays where it happens.
Posted By: strosfann Re: Tequila - 03/11/21
I don’t particularly like tequila but some friends introduced me to Herradura double barrel reposado and it’s pretty damn good.
Posted By: Steve Re: Tequila - 03/11/21
Drank my fair share. Hussong's is good on an evening before layover day on the river. Be sure to have bloody mary's ready for some hair-of-the-dog the next morning.

[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Tequila - 03/11/21
Originally Posted by ltppowell
This thread has potential. I drank a fifth of tequila in 1981, drove to the police department and turned myself in.

They didn't want me.

They hired you.
© 24hourcampfire