Home
One of my favorite movies, “The Final Countdown” was on today. Every time I watch this, it makes me wonder what the consequences would have been if the Captain had not turned the aircraft around and they had prevented the attack on Pearl Harbor. Assuming they destroy the Japanese ships, does the US get into the war? Does technology stall without the war?

What do you guys think?
I think the song, The Final Countdown, recorded by a Swedish band called Europe, really sucked.
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
One of my favorite movies, “The Final Countdown” was on today. Every time I watch this, it makes me wonder what the consequences would have been if the Captain had not turned the aircraft around and they had prevented the attack on Pearl Harbor. Assuming they destroy the Japanese ships, does the US get into the war? Does technology stall without the war?

What do you guys think?

Is that the one with the carrier that went back in time?
Originally Posted by bruinruin

What do you guys think?

Yeah, somehow the Nimitz ends up sucked back to December 6, 1941.
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
I think the song, The Final Countdown, recorded by a Swedish band called Europe, really sucked.

It got me through a couple PT tests!
I liked that movie. I love to think of what would happen if modern technology intervened in an old time battle.
I want to take a bunch of bolt action rifles back to 1836 and see if we can win the Battle of the Alamo.
Splash the Zeros.....

Jayco👍
Originally Posted by bruinruin

What do you guys think?

Yeah, somehow the Nimitz ends up sucked back to December 6, 1941.

That's a pretty good flick. Maybe I need to see it again.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here is a guy who wrote a book about taking a bunch of AKs back to 1863.
Originally Posted by logcutter
Splash the Zeros.....

Jayco👍

I watched an interview with one of the F14 pilots. Apparently, the maneuver at 5:50 on that clip was actually a near loss of control and they almost pancaked the aircraft on the water.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I liked that movie. I love to think of what would happen if modern technology intervened in an old time battle.
I want to take a bunch of bolt action rifles back to 1836 and see if we can win the Battle of the Alamo.

Just imagine the militias in the Revolutionary War having a crew served machine gun?
Being as how FDR was hell bound and determined to get us to go to war, he would have found some other way to do it.
Originally Posted by logcutter
Splash the Zeros.....

Jayco👍

During the Vietnam war a Skyraider shot down 2 Mig 17s. If I recall there were other occasions where our prop planes shot down jet fighters in that time period too.
The Skyraider was an awesome aircraft.
I rember the old Twilight Zone, where the army guys are on training, and hapand on Custer's last stand, right before they entered the fight one guy says we should have brought the tank!
No after they vanished their officer said: "too bad they could not have brought the tank."

Season 5 Episode 10 "The 7th is made up of Phantoms" 12/6/1963 Available on Syfy HD

Warren Oates was in it.
Originally Posted by saddlering
I rember the old Twilight Zone, where the army guys are on training, and hapand on Custer's last stand, right before they entered the fight one guy says we should have brought the tank!

One of the best episodes, The 7th is made up of Phantoms. I compare that to the William Shatner one Nightmare at 20000 ft. Good stuff.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Think about a single M60 machine gun in an old timey battle. How about 4000 charging Zulus at Rorks Drift for example. Or some of the battles with 5000 swords on each side. Any battle in the Revolutionary War, facing thousands of redcoats shoulder to shoulder.
One of my favorite scenes in when the US Officer starts explaining the Japanese attack plans for Pearl to the downed Zero pilot. Just imagine what was going through that guys head after seeing the jets and the Nimitz...
© 24hourcampfire