Home
Posted By: Spotshooter Denver Snow storm ? - 03/14/21
Did all the news over blow it ?
Posted By: smokepole Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/14/21
I don't know if they over blowed it, but it's about blowed over.
Posted By: TF49 Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Did all the news over blow it ?

In my opinion,...yes.... but these weather folks are entertainers and pursue higher viewership and more website clicks. Quite a bit about Northern Colorado getting “hammered.” Well, ok I guess .... but it was overstated .... those who have lived in snowy regions for a few years prolly viewed as just another big snow.

Salesmen and entertainers.

Up in the foothills above Loveland we got a nominal 20 inches. Power was out for about 4 hours and while it was a very slow day with all the snow, I expect we’ll be pretty much back to normal by Tuesday.

Could have been lots worse.....

Not nearly as bad here as it was for those folks in Texas.
Posted By: antlers Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
Do you know if 34 is open between Loveland and Estes Park...?
Posted By: TF49 Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by antlers
Do you know if 34 is open between Loveland and Estes Park...?

Simply based on the news reports, I believe it is.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
Looking at the radar and the storm is curling back around like a low pressure system will do. It has moved north and it appears that eastern Wyoming and western Nebraska are going to get hit the hardest. We are expecting rain all night and it will be rainy for several days.

kwg
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
Hell, Denver got 18 inches. That is quite a heavy storm for Denver. Airport closed for a while.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
Keep it there guys. It's 50, sunny and daylight here!
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
Can't say but we got a lot of high winds and a crap load of dust/dirt in the air.

It started yesterday and is still going on now.
Posted By: Mountain10mm Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
In the foothills SW of Denver at 8400'. We had a solid 24" this morning, and there's at least another 6" more since then and it's still snowing. The weather folk were a little off on the timing, but the amounts are accurate compared to the 2-4' predicted in our area. There are drifts easily over 4.5' in areas. All good here, it's not unusual for it to snow in Colorado. Most people have plow trucks and snowblowers and as long as you keep up on it, it's not a big deal.
Posted By: elkcountry Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
We measured 26” in my backyard at 3 different places! I’d say they actually got the totals pretty close. West of us in Estes Park got between 3-4 ft! Denver area was on the southern border of the heavy stuff and where we are was right on the bullseye! My neighbors are glad I have a 24” Troy Built snowblower! I guess you could ask them if the weatherman got it wrong! This storm will put us well above average for snow pack and we needed it! Storms like these really only happen about every 8-10 years.

Elk Country
Posted By: ShaunRyan Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
A buddy in Denver sent me this:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WTF Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
Got a light sprinkle of rain out on the Western Slope. No milk, produce running low, same for meats, and some shelf items are also low at the local City Market due to I70 mess and no trucks.
However the Safeway is fully stocked.
Nothing to see here, folks. Keep moving.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
'10mm, where are you?
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
We have 24-26" in Arvada
Posted By: Dess Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
We have 20 or more. Hard to be accurate because the wind is causing significant drifting. Don't miss the days when I was "Emergency Personnel" and had to get out in this nonsense.
Posted By: kennyd Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
Now we can have floods in the burn areas. Again

I can still see my back 6 foot fence. In 83 it was drifted over

Colfax gas had 3 plows, 1 cop car, and a pickup pulling a 30 some feet travel trailer that I've seen. And a suburban now

Lights blinked, the 12 yo in me has the lamps all fueled

This could have been worse, daylight time kept a hour of snow away
Christmas '82 had similar snow, but much colder temps. Similar to March'03 so far.

I'll dig out the sidewalk and driveway tomorrow.

Supposed to get lots of sun later this week. Keep the gutters and storm drains clear and it will literally all be gone in a few days.
Posted By: achadwick Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
We got a bunch of snow and high winds at my home in Aurora.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by Dess
Christmas '82 had similar snow, but much colder temps. Similar to March'03 so far.

I'll dig out the sidewalk and driveway tomorrow.

Supposed to get lots of sun later this week. Keep the gutters and storm drains clear and it will literally all be gone in a few days.

'03 was a good one. We got 30+ inches in Fort Collins. I recall several roof collapses on commercial buildings and a local church.

Had a lot of fun in it though!
Started digging out. 2-3 inches of wet slush under the snow. Clear the storm drain at the end of the block first. Let it drain a bit while I have my coffee. Should be easier and lighter without all the liquid water weight.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
I've got a daughter in Silverthorne. Haven't heard yet.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
23" with 5 foot drifts south of Denver at our place. Seems like it was very close to forecast, just started late. Not too big of deal but all county roads closed. I'll fire up the Kubota after a bit of coffee.
Originally Posted by MM879
I've got a daughter in Silverthorne. Haven't heard yet.

Silverthorne is mountainous, a ski town and much higher elevation than Denver. Their snow was measured in feet. They are even better equipped to handle this amount of snow than Denver.

According to the local news, getting out of your driveway and immediate neighborhood is the toughest challenge.
Posted By: T10jumper Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
Sounds like the annual March storm. MSM just wanting to push the global warming scam.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
We got about 18" here at 7600 ft NE of Colorado Springs. Hard to measure. Drifts up to 4 ft. I -70 and I-25 are closed in both directions .Weathermen/women who know what is going on typically called these storms Alubuquerque lows.They blow in from NM, pick up moisture and rotate CCW. Hit north and curl around up against the front range, and move south . It takes a little bit to get that low moving east.

I have been on the tractor 3 hours already clearing snow out to the county road. Snow plow came thru yesterday afternoon during t he storm and dumped 4 ft in front of my lane.

These bimbos the TV stations hire as weather girls, I think are selected by how big of boobs they have, becasue it sure isn't weather predicting knowledge
My weatherbabe likes playing with MY boobs......

See? It's true.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: 30338 Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by T10jumper
Sounds like the annual March storm. MSM just wanting to push the global warming scam.

I'm not into man made climate change. It was the 4th largest snow storm in Denver since 1881 so perhaps a touch larger than the annual March storm lol. That said, we needed every inch of it. Hoping it jumpstarts a better pasture year.
Shoveling done. After clearing the storm drain, I gave the snowpack a chance to rid itself of the excess moisture. Gutters were flowing nicely. Shoveling was much easier without all the extra weight. Couple hundred feet of walkway done. Pavement should be dry in a little while.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by huntsman22
My weatherbabe likes playing with MY boobs......

See? It's true.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Yeah, well when she throws my pic up there she's reaching lower......
Posted By: smokepole Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
The good thing about the weathermeisters calling this one early was, it gave people time to adjust their travel plans. They canceled flights ahead of time at DIA, which meant they didn't have hundreds of people stranded there sleeping on the floor like the last time this happened. Or, in their cars up on I-70 when that shut down.
Posted By: test1328 Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
Welcome to Colorado. It snows. Get to shoveling and get over it.
Posted By: test1328 Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
By the way, Don, she's my favorite weather gal, too!
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
I’m in Westminster now, and we got 24-30” yesterday and last night with 15-20 mph breezes.
Posted By: llamalover2 Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
front range isn't much different than the southeast. A snowfall and they run around like the world is ending. Got a chuckle when the weather boy was pushing the "knee deep" angle when it was 1" over his high tops shoes. Oh well it was a break from covid sky is falling BS
Posted By: kennyd Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
Aurora sports park plowed curb to curb. side streets and feeders not. Colfax is state highway out this end so has had some plowing. Still icy
Posted By: wytex Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
So some guys from outside the region have questions about our weather ? Yes they got it right.
We had blizzard conditions all across the region and feet of snow.. No power outages around here and folks just waited it out.
Didn't turn into nationwide issue as we know how to deal with it.
Going to take days to dig out and get melting underway.
If the winds stay low then roads will open back up today or tomorrow.

We needed the moisture and it really helped the snowpack.
Sidewalk dry. Sunny. Life is good.

Neighbor has someone who does their driveway with a snowblower. Some millennial. Throwing snow far enough to hit our roof and windows.

Wife is "discussing" it with him now. Poor bastard. She got out there before I could get my shoes.
Posted By: Mountain10mm Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
'10mm, where are you?

Conifer
Posted By: Tracks Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
22 years here and this was the 2nd worst as far as snow total snow. That said I get less snow here than almost any place in Colorado. Heavy wet stuff 'Bout 16 inches. Power just came back on, 30 hours without heat. Last time for that, already scheduled to install a high tech wood burner next month
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Conifer

gotcha. Raised in Deer Creek canyon, bussed to Conifer for school. Then to Evergreen for HS.
Conifer

gotcha. Raised in Deer Creek canyon, bussed to Conifer for school. Then to Evergreen for HS.

Pretty cool names out there. I love Colorado. It ain't wrecked yet, no matter what people say.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
Daughter in Colorado Springs called yesterday and showed us pics of the snow in her yard... it was drifted about a foot shy of the top of their rear fence and about 18-24" in the front yard and streets. She couldn't get out of the neighborhood to get to work when she tried, so she was pretty much stuck at home watching the snow blow sideways.... schools cancelled and the whole nine yards...

Bob
Posted By: jameister Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/15/21
up here in nederland, at about 9000 feet, snowed in for half a day, plows kept up with the inch an hour type snowfall. missed a day skiing could not get out of the cabin/lodge air bandb.

easily 3 feet fell, but within a few hours some compaction of this light fluff.

skiers due back in an hour or two, white smoke conditions. beautiful, and already above freezing as warm air precedes and follows most such storms.

hard on wildlife, and if another such comes through too soon, gonna be some winter kill likely.

new snow was well over my knees, and I am/was 6 feet tall.
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Conifer

Pretty cool names out there. I love Colorado. It ain't wrecked yet, no matter what people say.

if you like runaway government, illegals, pot dispensary's, homeless encampments and democrats..... kolorado's the place to be.
having lived here for more than half a century....its become a dump, in the same way all places under democrat control evolve toward.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/16/21
[quote=AKA_Spook

if you like runaway government, illegals, pot dispensary's, homeless encampments and democrats..... kolorado's the place to be.
having lived here for more than half a century....its become a dump, in the same way all places under democrat control evolve toward.[/quote]

Gotta agree with you AK_Spook
Posted By: kennyd Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/16/21
Records kept from DIA, Stapleton, city park. There is no correlation on what fell in Denver in 18** and what falls at the new airport now. More junk science
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Denver Snow storm ? - 03/16/21
my new 76" snow blower was put to the test yesterday. All my tractor wanted with this wet heavy stuff, but she did it. 4 hours and had me and the neighbors cleaned up, and the 1/2 mile shared driveway.

Going to have some green grass and wild flowers this spring, at least...
© 24hourcampfire