Home
Of all my guns the one that I most attached to is my Stevens model 15 single shot. Ain't worth maybe $100 to anyone else but to me it's priceless. First gun dad ever gave me at age 7...... Everytime I shoot it it just makes me smile and transports me 43yrs into the past and all those memories come alive. Like I said, priceless..... And even at age 50 I can still shoot a banana spider at 30yrds open sights šŸ‘
I've got a Remington 597 in 17 hmr. They were recalled for out of battery detonations. I love that gun. Absolute tack driver, I'll never it get exchanged for a 22 mag. If it blows, it blows
My first, a Stevens double barrel 12 gauge. I bought when I was 16 for 60 bucks at a Globe store on North Shepard drive in north Houston. This was 1969, I was 16
Marlin model 60 I weed whacked a steep bank for took half a days work when I was 12
this'un is attached to me the most.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Several, but I guess my Sears Ted Williams .30-30 (based on Winchester 94), Mom and Dad got me back in 1976. My first gun. My first season to go deer hunting. Miss and love you Mom and Dad!
Great grandfathers 1860 Colt he killed Yankees with.
The gun im most attached to is the one that fired the volley that created my son in HIS image.
My old Daddy's Remington 1100. About the only thing I have left of him, other than a bunch of memories.
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Is that a emp?
Originally Posted by catosilvaje

I hope he got a bunch of em šŸ¤£
Originally Posted by catosilvaje

I might pay to pet that one. To bad it didnt get old Abe in time to save the nation from immigration
wink.
I have not got my Dad's gun's handed down to me yet (which is just fine by me) so I'll have to say my Winchester 120 Ranger 12 ga. that I bought with my confirmation money. I've shot gazillions of birds and deer with that gun.

The gun I love the most is my tang safety Ruger 22-250.
Lever collection
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I have not got my Dad's gun's handed down to me yet (which is just fine by me) so I'll have to say my Winchester 120 Ranger 12 ga. that I bought with my confirmation money. I've shot gazillions of birds and deer with that gun.

The gun I love the most is my tang safety Ruger 22-250.

All right, Rooster, we need some pics? 2.75 or 3 inch. Choke. Preferred bullets. Closest to farthest buck. Biggest buck?
Come on. Got a feeling that gun has stories.

Btw, hows the head?
I have several. A couple my father built for me, an old Parker double that belonged to my great grandfather, my grandfatherā€™s old Springfield single shot 12 gauge, and my first gun; an H&R 058 Topper with 20 gauge and 30-30 barrels.
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Is that a emp?

Nope, a S&W PC Commander. EMP's dont have bobtails. But I carry a EMP40 some, too....
These two Colt SAA, for each of my two grandsons. Hope someday they can pass them down to their grandsons.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
A Savage 99,and my back too S&W Bodyguard .380....
My fatherā€™s 760 . If the house was burning I would grab that one. All the dents, worn bluing , scratched wood were done by his hands. I miss that man.

MM
My favorite as far as a rifle is my Sporterized Springfield 1922 M2, favorite handgun would be a toss up between Smith & Wesson M/41 and Sig Sauer P226 9mm with .22 conversion.
An ancient Marlin 336 in 30-30 Win that I bought used in 1981. It was beat up but cheap like I needed while in college. I shot my first deer and first elk with that rifle. My heirs might sell it some day, but I never will.
What: My Les Baer UTC

Why: it's taped to my leg.

Is that a emp?

Damn close mines a 40 [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I'd have to grab Lloyd. All the other stuff would be easy to replace. Lloyd has history.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
I have a Browning Citori that I bought from my Dad who passed 3 years ago. I was there when he bought it from a colleague. Said colleague's son became a very good friend and passed about a year before my Dad.

That's the same carry set up I saw in the dollar general last Saturday......

Wait, you need janitor keys on a belt strap to top that off.
Browning 92 .....hammer time
I have a few that were my grandfathers. I've passed others down to my boy. I was very close to Pap. He lost his battle with leukemia and kidney failure last year.

I'd give anything have 1 more day with with him. He was such a powerful force in our family.
Damn close mines a 40 ]

yup.....
Dad gave me a browning buckmark when I came home from Afghanistan. My favorite for sure
I have a few.

The first shotgun i bought with mowing money it is a Savage 20 gauge single shot.

The others are a Colt 22 ace that has not been fired new in the box and a Winchester 22 cal Model 63.

Most of the others are just fun things.
Right at the moment, I'm really liking my Uberti 1851 Navy .36. Hard to put into words why.
S&W 686 would be the last gun to leave my collection. Great trigger and very accurate.
My sonā€™s Savage 24c ā€œCamperā€™s Companionā€ .22 over 20 gage. He learned to shoot with that gun back when it was mine. Now he takes his daughter shooting with it.

I miss having that handy little gun around.

I've put several of the Ed Brown bobtail housings on before. Not much machining to make them fit a 1911 style handgun. Nice rig you have set up too by the way. That knife sure is handy.
My 308 bolt guns.
I carry my s&w bodyguard in the watch pocket of my jeans. Fits perfectly.
Originally Posted by MPat70
I carry my s&w bodyguard in the watch pocket of my jeans. Fits perfectly.

It's a shame they reapplied that name to an auto pistol recently, as to many old times, an S&W Bodyguard refers to a J-Frame revolver with a hammer shroud built into the frame. It can get confusing. I assume you're referring to the auto pistol, though, since I cannot imagine fitting a J-Frame revolver into the watch pocket of a pair of jeans.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
My 308 bolt guns.

Need the details on each.
My Colt Python. I bought it the first week out of the Navy in 1966. $165. in Billings. Only handgun I can hit what I aim at.
A beat up old Marlin .30-30 that belonged to my Grandpa. He gave it to me when I turned 12. It is easily my most prized possession. It has taken at least one deer per year, for many years. It gets the starting spot in the rotation.

Colt SAA "Frontier Six Shooter" in 44-40, manufactured in 1882.
[Linked Image]

Attached picture 1harsh.JPG
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

That's pretty cool. Why is the finish mottled like that? I see a lot of old Colt SAA revolvers with lots of wear, but the wear pattern is usually fairly uniform all over the gun. Regardless, cool possession.
Custom Commander I built is a fav.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A little Rem. 11-48 410ga is a "dove for dinner machine".

Custom Ruger #3 in .358 Win.

Rem 788 .44 mag is my fav whitetail medicine.

Originally Posted by jbmi
These two Colt SAA, for each of my two grandsons. Hope someday they can pass them down to their grandsons.

and all my grandkids get, is THESE.....

Little Browning SA-22 (Shorts only) is my fav .22

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

That's pretty cool. Why is the finish mottled like that? I see a lot of old Colt SAA revolvers with lots of wear, but the wear pattern is usually fairly uniform all over the gun. Regardless, cool possession.
The finish would be described as "about 30% original nickel". The 60% that isn't nickel is where the nickel has flaked off of it. Old nickel plate wasn't usually that long-lived if it was used with black powder and that particular gun is well within the black powder era. If the nickel was all gone, many would call it a "nice, even patina". Others would say it's an old, brown gun. Anything beyond traces of original finish really adds dollars to old Colt single actions.
Ruger 44 Finger groove is a handy brush buster.

Savage 24S-E 22lr over 410 that was gifted me by Mom and Dad for Christmas 1967. Been my squirrel gun for many years. Wish they were still here.....
Probably this Colt in 38 Super

I have guns that belong to over a half dozen dead folk.
Relatives, friends, hunting partners.

Only a 760 gets used, and I'm not a fan of them.

But I'm attached to all those guns, just goofing around with them
makes me feel good and reminds me of good times with their owners.

Favorite is probably a 660 308.
Brown Precision stock, done with my own three thumbs.
3x9 Vari-Xll in Talleys.

Had it since I was 19, 32 years ago.
Most lethal gun I own.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

The finish would be described as "about 30% original nickel". The 60% that isn't nickel is where the nickel has flaked off of it. Old nickel plate wasn't usually that long-lived if it was used with black powder and that particular gun is well within the black powder era. If the nickel was all gone, many would call it a "nice, even patina". Others would say it's an old, brown gun. Anything beyond traces of original finish really adds dollars to old Colt single actions.

That explains it. Thanks.
Stevens Crackshot. It was my grandfather's gun when he was a boy. It was passed down to my father and then to me. I dont have any kids so it will go to one of my nephews some day.
Family heirlooms and next guns Iā€™ve hunted a lot with .
A Winchester 67 single shot 22 that my Mom got as a kid in the 30s.
My Marlin 1895GST. I traded my best friend (Freedumb1) an AR-15 for it many years ago and he's since passed away. This one will definitely be a hand-me-down to my son......
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My Browning Hi-Powers.
For this.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]nearest gas station to our location

Or this

Or this.

Or this

Or this. 22-250 Wby Varmint Master with 60 gr Hornady Interlock with exit hole which of course domt shoot worth crap due to circles in tha barrel or something.

Or this, with a 270 WBY Mag

Or this

Or this

Originally Posted by Nebraska
My Marlin 1895GST. I traded my best friend (Freedumb1) an AR-15 for it many years ago and he's since passed away. This one will definitely be a hand-me-down to my son......
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Very nice.
Good to see guns that are actually used in the field venerated.
Let's answer the question "which one..." with 27 photos of different guns. LOL

Clowns.
Or this for hogs and deer at long range.

Or this for ML

Or this for turkey

Or this for quail

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]shell gas station near home

Or this for commies

Isslow kno what i like this one fo.

Looks really good. Seems like you had one hell of a great hunt.
My Bicentennial Ruger M77 7mm RM I bought new in 1976 at Doc's Gun Barn in Pocatello ID. They had six of them new in boxes, and let me look at all of them to pick out the one with the wood I liked the best, $175. Scoped it with a 4-12x Redfield, $130.
It's been with me on many horseback trips in a half dozen wilderness areas, and accounted for 20 elk, more deer and antelope than I can remember, and a mountain goat.
The rifle has outlived several scopes on the rugged hunts it's been on, and is a bit worn around the edges. But the memories are worth it.
Although I gave it a graceful retirement to a backup role in favor of a SS and synthetic 300WM elk rifle some years ago, it will be the last gun I ever want to get rid of.
This is like asking King David which of his 500 wives was his favorite. He always said the one without a headache. Until he nailed Bathsheba. He loved her. And because she loved him, she never had a headache.

Guy goes to bed and starts rubbing on his wife. She says not tonight, Hon (yeah, no schiett, some married folks listened to HIM and love, cherish and, well never the [bleep] mind. Love and cherish would be great). (Yeah, she actually said Hon. Not MacDonald or Erastus or William). She said Hon, i got a drs appt with the gynecologist in the AM and i want to be fresh. Pink, not red.

So, William rolls over but cant sleep on his stomach because hes propped up. After a while he rolls over and says, Babe (some guys say that to their sweetheart, for real) and nudges her.

She says, "What, hon?" (Ha, stupid unliberated christian dumbass woman, I guess,,right?).

He says, Babe, she says, Yes. He says, you seeing the dentist tomorrow?

She says, No, hun.

And they lived HAPPILY ever after, within their house on a rock. I know, it's a fairy tale. But you know, fairy tales sometimes come true.

Know how i know? Ive seen it befo. smile
Mine is a difficult choice between two guns.

I shared many great times with both guns with my best girl, Ms. Scarlet.

One is a Sauer better grade boxlock 12ga SXS and 12/8X57JR cape gun two-barrel set. I used it in Africa and in most of the western states on big game and upland game. And, I can actually appear to be a decent wing-shooter with it. Scarlet and I are responsible for a lot of dead chukar and grouse using the Sauer.

I would be my HK P7, I carry it a lot and people always stir when they see it. all my buddies love it and everyone looks at it at the range.
My other favorite gun almost got away from me. When I had some medical issues and needed money I sold it to a member here. He was good enough to work with me in getting it back. It's my Sauer/Daly circa 1909 12/12/30-30 sidelock drilling. It was Scarlet's and my walking around gun. We took a lot of upland game of all sorts with it...sagehen, pheasants, chukar, valley-bobwhite-mountain-gambles quail, spruce-ruffed-blue grouse, doves, snipe, sharptail, and Hungarian ptg. It also popped a couple of nice fat does...whitetail and mulie.

Originally Posted by jaguartx
This is like asking King David which of his 500 wives was his favorite. He always said the one without a headache. Until he nailed Bathsheba. He loved her. And because she loved him, she never had a headache.

Guy goes to bed and starts rubbing on his wife. She says not tonight, Hon (yeah, no schiett, some married folks listened to HIM and love, cherish and, well never the [bleep] mind. Love and cherish would be great). (Yeah, she actually said Hon. Not MacDonald or Erastus or William). She said Hon, i got a drs appt with the gynecologist in the AM and i want to be fresh. Pink, not red.

So, William rolls over but cant sleep on his stomach because hes propped up. After a while he rolls over and says, Babe (some guys say that to their sweetheart, for real) and nudges her.

She says, "What, hon?" (Ha, stupid unliberated christian dumbass woman, I guess,,right?).

He says, Babe, she says, Yes. He says, you seeing the dentist tomorrow?

She says, No, hun.

And they lived HAPPILY ever after, within their house on a rock. I know, it's a fairy tale. But you know, fairy tales sometimes come true.

Know how i know? Ive seen it befo. smile

That's a real nice story, but are you sure he didn't say "Babe, are you seeing the Proctologist tomorrow?"
Originally Posted by plainsman456
I have a few.

The first shotgun i bought with mowing money it is a Savage 20 gauge single shot.

It wouldn't be anything like the Savage 220 20 gauge a very young L2S used as his first shotgun, would it? GREAT GUNS, IMO! It's still here.

Don't ever let yours go. wink

What holster is that Hunts?
i made the mistake of being attached to too many guns. i've tried multiple times to come up with a "final" list and it usually ends up being 10-12, not counting handguns. i need to clean the safe one of these days to make it easier on my kids.
Originally Posted by MAC
Stevens Crackshot. It was my grandfather's gun when he was a boy. It was passed down to my father and then to me. I dont have any kids so it will go to one of my nephews some day.

I carry my Stevens Crackshot on afternoon walks at least 2 times a week. No sentimental value only had it a few years but it carries easy and shoots straight šŸ‘
Originally Posted by Nebraska
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That, Sir, is a beautiful gun. Definitely a keeper.
G
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Mine is a difficult choice between two guns.

I shared many great times with both guns with my best girl, Ms. Scarlet.

One is a Sauer better grade boxlock 12ga SXS and 12/8X57JR cape gun two-barrel set. I used it in Africa and in most of the western states on big game and upland game. And, I can actually appear to be a decent wing-shooter with it. Scarlet and I are responsible for a lot of dead chukar and grouse using the Sauer.

She's a beauty and the guns not too shabby either šŸ˜šŸ‘
1959 Savage 99EG. Grandpa had one in 300 Savage, mine's a 308.
My grandfather gave me his Browning A5 16ga, and also gave me his fathers Model 11. So I have 5 generations of family shotguns now included my sons stuff.

When I was younger and between jobs, I had to sale a lot of my collector stuff (keep the hunting stuff). I've been fortunate to replace a lot of that stuff in the last few years, nice pre 64 m94, s&w model 19, and a few others. I'm not selling them again unless it really came down to it. Oh...and a Win m1 carbine, looked for one for years but never ran across one in a condition I could accept until about a year ago.
My first S&W model 25, 45 Colt, it has been modified with a Patridge front sight, the barrel has been lapped, the cylinder throats uniformed, trigger stop, the trigger polished smooth, the action polished and tuned. This pistol loves hard cast 250 grain Saeco bullets, over 8.5 to 9.5 grains of Unique. IfI were to choose a rifle, my choice would fall between Siamese Mauser in 45 - 70 or a Mark X chambered for 375 Whelen.
Best friend died and his wife gave me his Win. 101 20 ga Pigeon Grade. That one will not go anywhere.
Nothing fancy here. Ruger 77v in .243. My now wife gave it to me some 43 years ago. She bought it with baby sitting money.

WS

Just this very old used .243 Rem 700 ADL I bought in the 60's via mowing grass and working grounds maintenance for a local municipal airport...killed my first deer with it, my son used it for his first deer and last Nov my grandson added his first buck to its history...
Cool FBF, while I didn't take my 1st deer with my M77MKII in .243 my son did and now I have hope that my grandson[s]-another on the way will, It's become my fav for the deer woods.
My favorite overall is a tie between my dads old WIN 63 and my newest, an AR that my son gave me for Christmas.
Hate these threads because it conjures up images of having to let the others go. Mine would be my Ruger MkII .257 Roberts my parents bought for me for college graduation. First day in the woods with it I killed at that time my largest buck. Three days later another first for me two bucks minutes apart (one of them my first nine point). It holds multiple other firsts for me. It stays whatever may come.
GreggH

Nice.
split between my 99F 250-3000 savage and My 375 winchester big bore.
bought the Big Bore new in 1980.
the savage was a gift from a Man that went through the Italian campaign when he was 17.
Like lots of you hard to say one. My Marlin Guide Gun 45 70 is one of the top ones. Many deer and a few hogs. A friend let me be caretaker of his Colt Gold Cup. Completely built by Nowlin about 30 yrs ago. It is very special. My grandson will get it. I love my Colt pre war DAs. Just the way it is.
My first revolver, a M29-2, bought new when I was 17. I just turned 59. It's been tweaked by the factory since.

my parents gave me a jap browning a-5 light 20 with a fixed i.c. choked 26" vent rib barrel on it, for taking care of them and their farm the year my mother battled breast cancer. it is my favorite hunting shotgun and every time i hold it or use it, i think of my folks and all that they've done for me.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
[What holster is that Hunts?

Milt Sparks VM-II's....

Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

Just this very old used .243 Rem 700 ADL I bought in the 60's via mowing grass and working grounds maintenance for a local municipal airport...killed my first deer with it, my son used it for his first deer and last Nov my grandson added his first buck to its history...

Thank you for that photo.

cool cool
Just what's been the family
My 4ā€ 686, or my 6.5 Swede Crusader. My dad took all the guns and sold them when he bailed on his family. Some of them would be keeper: 2 6.5 Arisakas, my brother sporterized the really beaten up one, a 1917 Enfield, and a Winchester 22LR lever action, not sure which model, but was a 50ā€™s era Winchester.
Probably this Shiloh. Why? Not sure - I've been intrigued with them for years and this is the third one I've owned. All of them were bought off the rack but this one went back to Shiloh for rework into the one I would have custom ordered.

...but this Ballard is a close second. Why? It accompanied me on the most memorable hunt of my life - spent the better part of an afternoon trying to get from 1/2 mile to 150 yards to make the shot on this buck:

Originally Posted by JGray
Probably this Shiloh...

...but this Ballard is a close second:

Beautiful !... what chamberings ?
45-90 on the Sharps and 45-70 on the Ballard.
Originally Posted by DMc

That is sweet.
"What gun are you the most attached to and why?"

You crazy? - If I tell you the other guns might hear!
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by DMc

That is sweet.

Yeah...

I like that one!
cool
Dad's now mine.

A Remington 600 in a 350. Always wanted one when I was a kid but could never afford one. My wife bought one for me for a present and have admired it ever since. Would not sell for anything.
Originally Posted by DMc

I have the same slam bang
Old military jingle....

This is my rifle
this is my gun
this one's for shooting........

My gun has grown on me.
This is my weapon, this is my gun.... one is for fighting one is for fun........ I am more attached to the fun one.... wink
Haha Rock Chuck beat me to it... smile
Any that shoot projectiles.

None, they are things so I will sell them as quick as look at you if needs be.
Mike Henry....I thought u were dead ...lol
A + 1 on the H & k p7,just fits.
I would say my Colt 4" python with Blue finish. When i die i am gonna be buried with that gun.
My Remlin 336SS (30-30) with a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on top.
Many of the later made "REP" Remlins made in Ilion, NY are as good as any of the "JM" stamped North Haven, CT guns.
My 336SS is one of those.
After I installed the WWG trigger and ejector it is slick and accurate and very fast on the swing & aim with the Bushnell TRS-25 red dot optic.
Have a few I really like.....but this one....1999 Marlin 45 Colt Cowboy

Bought it from the original owner...unfired

Although the original barrel length was 24"

He sent it Gary Reeder in Flagstaff & chopped it to 20"

Still unfired other than factory test fire & Reeder the gunsmith

I always wanted a 16" Marlin 45 Colt...so why chop an original...chopped this one to 16"

Ranger Point Precision in TX did the work for me...++++

I hand polished the action myself...smooth as a baby's butt...

Have since replaced the peep sight with the factory buckhorn

This short & stubby 16" is a joy to shoot & handle.....

Main loads are 6/Universal or 6/Trailboss & a 250 gr RNFP hard cast slug...

Just a fun plinker...kids & women can handle 'er just fine too

pic......yea...I got nice wood......

oh yea...Reeder did the noose engraving

Remington 742 Woodsmaster, it was the gun my dad used to hunt with when him and I went.
1951 made Marlin.30-30. It belonged to my Grandpa, and he handed it down to me when I turned 12. It brings at least one deer home every year. My 14 year old son has taken two 8 pointers and one 6 pointer with it, since he has been hunting. You couldnā€™t get $100.00 for it in a pawn shop, but it is priceless to us.
My thanks to those who revived this thread. Some beautiful pieces shown and much sentimentality in the mix.

A great read.
Like said by many people here I like all of mine and would have a hard time picking just one. Having said that I would have to say, while kind of a silly choice, my CZ 20 ga. Sharptail. I looked for at least 30 years for a SxS that felt good in my hands and one day grabbed the CZ and it was love the first time I shouldered it. Of course my choice is subject to change. Dave
My rem.md66 22cal. 1st gun and bought. Rifle my savage 99 in 22HP, just a fun rifle it's shot deer, you name it ,shot some muskrats last week with it in a friend s pond. Pistol Colt Match Target, or my Colt 38-40 Bisley.
I got a couple beaters in dads will.
He had nicer stuff I coulda had.
Am not really attached to any of em.
Or my own crap.

Pops had a few over the years being a dealer so maybe the turnover/ volume has something to do w it.

Ive popped a couple deer w my .35 rem 760 so guess thats the one i like for now.
Im keeping the 3 from the will in case my daughters ever want gramps stuff.

They rarely shoot so proly just sit in safe til i die
My Grandfather's Savage 29B. Killed my first Squirrel, coon and rabbit with it. Lots of miles and memories...
How many hogs that thing kill?
Remington 788 carbine in 243. Given to me by my parents when I was 11 as my first deer rifle. Put a ton of miles on that gun and took more than a few deer with it. It's priceless to me!
Id like a custom ruger #1 stainless in .35 rem
If i have one built thatd proly be my fave
Originally Posted by worriedman
My Grandfather's Savage 29B. Killed my first Squirrel, coon and rabbit with it. Lots of miles and memories...

Mouth watering classic there.
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
My old Daddy's Remington 1100. About the only thing I have left of him, other than a bunch of memories.

Same for me and the memories.However, I would sell it tomorrow for a fair offer.
I have a Model 70 7mm08 Classic Compact that I absolutely love. I won a Model 70 7mmSTW in a raffle right around 2000, asked if they'd give me the 7mm08 classic compact instead and they said no problem.

At the time I had a stainless Encore with a 15 inch barrel in 7mm08 so I wanted a rifle in the same caliber. I've killed a lot of deer with that rifle and still love it.
Originally Posted by PWN
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk

Same for me and the memories.However, I would sell it tomorrow for a fair offer.

I have my dad's 1100 also, still hunt birds with it once in a while. I have an extra barrel for it a friend gave to me years ago. I'd send it down the road but I'd have to give it to my son or my brother before I did that so it's probably here to stay till I expire.
I actually have 2.....A 760 Carbine in 30-06 that my Mom passed down to me my first deer season in 1981 and My Dad's original duty weapon when he first pinned the badge on his chest, A S&W Model 19-3 6".

Saturday morning, I will be carrying the '06 and will have the M19 on my hip.
A 45 colt Blackhawk. My buddy gave it to me two months before he died. He used it for two decades. It was worn but I fixed it up. Holding the same grips he held, priceless.
They are all my children. I love them equally
Although I have a mighty weakness when it comes to sporterized Mauser M98s I would have to say there are a couple of keepers: 1) my Dad's Winchester M37 single shot 12 gauge and 2) a Ruger No. 1a in 7x57 which I acquired decades ago as a barreled action. Shot a mess of cottontails in front of Spooky beagle with the M37. Fussed with the Ruger for years trying to get it to shoot right. Foreend is bedded and shimmed, a few thousandths were removed from the rear of the rib where it was touching the front of the action, and lastly seating out 120 and 140 bullets a lot because of the long throat intended for ?175 gr bullets.
My old 700 BDL 6mm I bought new in about 86 with lawn mowing money is one I really attached to. I killed lots of deer and varmints with it a through high school and college. We've hunted a lot together and I shot my first deer with it. It still shoots ok but loots of 55g NBTs at 4000fps were a little rough on it.

When I was in high school I couldn't afford to shoot it a lot but I ran a lot of rounds though it after college.its sent hundreds of rock chucks and rabbits to the other side. It's probably taken a dozen deer, several crows, coyotes, and badgers too.

I picked it up the other day and it still just feels right.

Bb
My Colt Government Model .45 auto
I have 4 my grand dads ( jess) italian made 16ga sxs hammer gun , the 336 rc ,30-30 my dad gave me for my first deer hunt with him and my uncle carl in 1973. then the 20 ga ithaca super single 66 my grandparents ( raymond and mary ) gave me for christmas in 1972. and last but not least a savage 99F in 308 win that was my uncle carls that I begged him to sell me one year while deer hunting and he would not sell it to me .but at christmas in 1979 he gave it to me !!! all of these guns have been used hard but are all in very nice condition, and I own A couple hundred gunz ( rifles , handguns , shotguns) but I would go thru hell to save these guns !!!
I have a 8x57 hitler post office sniper rifle model 98 pre war Mauser.

My dads brother gave it to my dad after WW2

I had it fitted to a synthetic Boydā€™s stock. Left it on a mule teddy rooselvet style through timber snapped the stock, Boydā€™s gave me a new one. J kolb fixed the safety to lock the bolt.

My friend once put three hand load into a quarter size at 200 yards.

Shot a 28 inch mule deer with it, been used for awhile not consistent got an cow elk this yearā€¦ā€¦.I think itā€™s probably my first big game rifle, and my best rifleā€¦ā€¦ā€¦..but I ainā€™t quite convincedā€¦ā€¦..

I love rifles.
Probably my old 870. 30" full choke bent barrel. Several coats of spray paint. Guns are like boats to me. I gotta have 'em but they're just a necessity, not jewelry. I get it...some people LOVE them.
My first rifle was a Remington 788 in .308 Winchester. Dad bought it for me used, I believe in 1978. I killed my first deer with it on Pleasantville Mountain that December, and quite a few others with it up until I joined the Army in ā€˜85.
I was in Ft Lewis WA the fall of ā€˜85, so I couldnā€™t go hunting. I called home and talked to Dad to see who got what.
ā€œI killed a nice 8 point on the Mountainā€ Dad says. ā€œOh yeah? Where at up thereā€ says I.
ā€œOver in that hollow below the Big Rock. You know where Iā€™m talking about?ā€
ā€œYeah Dad, I usually always hunted that hollow the first day. What was you shooting?ā€
ā€œYour .308!ā€ He then asked if I wanted to sell it. A family friend had seen it and wanted to buy it.
ā€œNo, tell Bill it ainā€™t for saleā€ I said.
ā€œThatā€™s good. That means I can use it till you get home!ā€
When I returned to Pennsylvania, I bought myself a Ruger 77 in .30-06, and the .308 became Dadā€™s gun. He hunted the last 25 years of his life with that gun. When he died, I finally put it back in my gun cabinet.
Itā€™s still a shooter. I still hand load for it, I drag it out once or twice every year in deer season.
But itā€™ll forever be ā€œDadā€™s Gunā€ to me, and when I go on to hunt with Dad again, Ben can say ā€œit was Papā€™s Gunā€.
7mm
Great story there 7 mm
I should add this.
ā€œThe Big Rockā€ I mentioned was one of Dadā€™s favorite spots. Itā€™s a boulder the size of a house, and it sticks outta the side of the mountain about a 1/4 of the way down from the summit. It sorta overhangs the side of the mountain. From there you can cover a lot of territory. We spent a lot of time up there.
When Dad died, he went peacefully with my brothers and I right there. Just before he went he looked at Dave and I and said ā€œIā€™ll see you boys on The Big Rockā€.
Daveā€™s legs ainā€™t the best, and itā€™s steep and rocky up there.
But every year in deer season, I make sure and spend a morning or afternoon up there, and I always leave a cold beer and a cigarette.
7mm
What: My bubba'd Howa 1500 in 35 Whelen.

Why: It's the rifle I made while attending CST. Looks like dogsh!t but it shoots well enough.
This one is special. GI National Match .45 Service Pistol built in the FT Benning AMU shop. I've shot it in hundreds of matches over the years, with many a win (and a lot of losses, too). Truly a superb pistol.
Bob

Mt Les Baer UTC, 1.5" sans FCS. Because it's bad-arse:

Had a minigun strapped to my ass for a few years, guess I was attached to it.
Far and away the gun I have the most attachment to is an old Stevens 22/410. My dad bought it new, shortly after being discharged from the Navy.
It was his go to small game killer. Several times a week he would come home early during hunting season and we walk the half mile or so to old over grown abandoned orchard and hunt rabbits squirmed pheasants and grouse. I can't begin to count the meals that old firearm out on our table. I know for a fact the even took a ducks, 1 goose and even a turkey during afternoon hikes. I miss those days and I miss dad . The old 410 still gets out every season and feeds my family too
Lots of nice stories here about the gun that daddy gave you and I can see why you all feel about them the way that you do.
The gun that my daddy gave me was an old 46b Mossberg 22 that didn't have any rifling left in the bore. Needless to say, it didn't shoot worth a hill of beans. Finally gave it to my nephew who was tickled pink to get "grampa's" gun.
Good riddance.
As for the one I am most attached to, Every one that I have obtained since I turned 18. Haven't sold a one in over 50 years.

But if you forced me to proclaim one as my favorite, it would be my Rem 788 in 223. First hunting rifle I bought all those years ago and still shoots dime size groups off the bags.
I am most attached to my SS FW M70 All -Terrain .30-06.
I added iron sights and a 2.5-8x36 Leupold. It started as a .270, I had it rebarreled with an unfired .30-06 barrel by a retired USMC armorer. It is floated, bedded with Steel bed and the trigger was adjusted to three lbs.
My favorite load is a 180 NPT in Remington cases, CCI LRP, with 57 grains of H-4350SC. It shoots 180 I/L to about the same point of impact to about 300 yards. Remington factory 180 C/L shoots very close as well.
It is not my first M70 or my latest. Nor is it my first '06. It is just the rifle I shoot the best and that I have the most big game kills with. It has never failed me in nearly 30 years.
My Dadā€™s pre-64 M70 in 30-06 and a Colt Series 70.
My girlfriend gave me a M70 30-06 for Christmas in 1977. I went to Nome that year to have Christmas with her family. I gave her a fur coat and I got the 06. I thought it was a fair trade. Still have the rifle and the girl. She gave me a M70 in 375 H&H for Christmas in 93, I think I'll keep her. I got my father's and hunting partners rifles when they passed away, but those two model 70s are the special ones.
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
My Dadā€™s pre-64 M70 in 30-06 and a Colt Series 70.

I could be attached to those.
Bob
1946 (I think) model 70 .270 that was my grandfathers. He passed in 2000. Before he died, he sold it to a buddy of his. I contacted him and asked to buy it if he ever sold it. After about 10 years, he said he was ready to sell and to come over. We small talked a little then I asked him how much? He asked how much money I had in my pocket, I had a wad of bills. No, he said, any change. I didn't but Dad did and he held out some. Guy took two pennies. That's what my grandfather sold it to him for, his two cents. Pop-pop was funny like that. Also have his Ithaca 16ga SxS that I used to kill my first rabbit.

The other is my Dad 760 .270. He passed in 2019.

I've killed 2 8pts with each, one shot each. Carrying Dad's again this year.
My Dad's Marlin model 80 .22 he left me.
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Originally Posted by worriedman

Mouth watering classic there.

I have one hanging on the wall in my gun room. Take it down and shoot & clean it once a year.
I donā€™t have any inheritance baby guns.

I have a bowling trophy with the arms broken off from my peepaw. No tittie baby hand-me-downs.

I do have a 788 in 308 with a 16ā€ barrel. Got from broke-dick military pawnshop. Pistol Peteā€™s pawn outside Gate6 next to the smut video store. Fort Campbell. Thatā€™s a military base for the folks in Pisswater that make threads about a single helicopter flying over.

Anyway, had to have the old man sign for it across statelines. Wooo!!! Saved up my hay bale slinging money when I was 15

Probably whacked 80 whitetails with that little rifle. Perfect in climbing tree stands.

I have dozens of guns but the one I'll never sell is my first.

An Ithaca model 37 12 gauge my Dad let me pick out at small gun shop for Xmas in 1974.

Every nick, scratch, chip, pit and crack tells a story.
A Kimber of Oregon Model 82 Cascade in .22 magnum.

My dad sold it to me as he said there are "no freebies in life". A lesson well learned.

Originally Posted by slumlord
How many hogs that thing kill?

A lot. Sold the hams, kept the rest.
The M1 Rifle...

[Linked Image from s33.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from s33.postimg.cc]

... because I'm an American.

GR
My IHC M1. I have a strange attachment to it. It is the only mechanical thing I feel attached to. I have quite a few rifles and would be heartbroken to lose them in a theft but would murderous to lose my M1 that way.
I have quite a few that I would gather up if I needed to evacuate the house but probably the most important would be my normal cc gun which never is far from me.
my family inheritance had junk for guns but over many years and lots of overtime i have collected some very unique and expensive guns for a blue collar man that my son and grandson can have when they put me in the ground. my all time favorite deer rifle that i have has killed some very nice whitetail bucks with is a Ruger #1 laminated stock ,S.S. , with a custom Brux barrel chambered in a 257 Weatherby mag with a Nightforce scope on it , this rifle has been promised by me to my grandson Alexander and all family members know it too.
The AK-47 that is a few feet from me as I type...

...or the other AK-47 in the living room

...or the other AK-47 I keep in the mud room

...or the other AK-47 I keep in the bedroom

...or the other AK-47 I keep in the shop

...or the other AK-47 I keep in 1998 Dodge

...or the other AK-47 I keep in 1997 Dodge

...or the other AK-47 I keep in 1996 Dodge

Kinda thing...
© 24hourcampfire