Home
Seen 3 such rigs this weekend and it drives me nuts. I don't get it, either get a lot taller lift, do something with the fenders, or get tires that fit your damn truck. Only thing that gets me more in the road is the Honda Civic with the 100 db muffler that makes the owner think he's a race car driver.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Seen 3 such rigs this weekend and it drives me nuts. I don't get it, either get a lot taller lift, do something with the fenders, or get tires that fit your damn truck. Only thing that gets me more in the road is the Honda Civic with the 100 db muffler that makes the owner think he's a race car driver.

I agree, not practical at all. FUGLY!
A jacked up Ford with halftracks used to sit at Dryden, Ontario. I thought it was cool.
Nothing says mexican like that.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Wrong.............

[Linked Image from streettrucksmag.com]
Good on axle bearings and paint jobs.
Whether it looks cool or not is immaterial to me. That's a good way to screw up the functionality of your suspension.

There ARE ways to enhance suspension performance correctly, but I don't think that's it. That's just one of the things juveniles do to "express their individuality" just like everybody else does. LOL.

Boomers prolly said the same thing about your low rider.

That truck looks good to me. Something about those square body trucks.

Around here the kids raise the front, lower the rear. Looks like it’s hauling a pallet of quickrete.

Funny thing is, 18 yr kid driving truck with B-10 tag ( business). Daddy’s money.
More money than sense?
And I could care less what people do to their rigs, since I don't GAS what they think about mine.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Ain't hardly anything stupider you can do to a vehicle than make a lowrider out of it.

Do you ever drive in soft sand? If you did you would like those tires.
Nothing like fuggin' up a perfectly good truck...

That truck looks good to me. Something about those square body trucks.

Around here the kids raise the front, lower the rear. Looks like it’s hauling a pallet of quickrete.

Funny thing is, 18 yr kid driving truck with B-10 tag ( business). Daddy’s money.

To each his own I guess. I think that truck would look significantly better if the lift was about 2" taller and the tires fit at least 90% inside the wheel well instead of 90% outside.

Never shows the state license plates in your picture.

Therefore you are a turd in a punch bowl.

It appears to be good set up for sandy states, like California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Texas, parts of Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma.

Originally Posted by stxhunter

Used to be lots of trucks like that around these parts in 1978.
These are trucks in Western Washington. Closest thing they're going to get to a dry sand dune is a big ass ant hill on their back patio.
I see trucks running negative offset wheels like that and think dude sorry about your dong. You can do a brake job without removing the tires

I guess I am wierd. I like it.

Yup, Real good for sand.
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Ain't hardly anything stupider you can do to a vehicle than make a lowrider out of it.

Well, there's always the nuts hanging from the hitch.
It may vary by state, but some states limit the amount of tread that is allowed to be uncovered by the fender. The truck may be off road use only.
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Yup, Real good for sand.

12344mag;
Good afternoon, I hope the day's been a good one for you and all in your world are well.

Since I've only been on sand one time really and that was in a quad, most of my sand tire experience is watching guys like Matt's Offroad Recovery on youtube.

My question is likely a silly one, but I see guys like Matt still running tall rubber/smaller wheels so they can air down and not wreck the rim. Wouldn't the truck in the photo be less able to do that because of the relatively short sidewall?

Thanks in advance.

Dwayne

I concede that I have no experience in dry sand in a truck to speak of but that makes sense. Where I am, it seems kind of useless, and they'd be better off going taller than wider.
JakeBlues;
Good afternoon to you sir, hopefully your part of the world is getting spring and all in it are well.

Here not that far north of you in the sometimes sunny Okanagan, we'll usually see purpose built off road rigs with what you've described, that is to say taller and a tad wider than stock, but not as wide as you're showing.

Again, I'm thinking that when they air down they want all the sidewall flex they can get, but since I'm in a 3/4 ton diesel, I don't air down the tires or do so as a last resort to get out of a hole I'm unable to remove myself out of otherwise.

That said, I'm a lot more prone to walk in now then to drive in to sketchy places and "stuck the truck" as it's sort of time consuming to "unstuck the truck" and isn't as fun as it was when I was in my 30's somehow.

All the best to you as we head into spring.

Dwayne
I'll bet that truck has never even been off road. Going for the "cool factor" only.
Originally Posted by RS308MX
I'll bet that truck has never even been off road. Going for the "cool factor" only.

Clear your cards, folks; we have a bingo.
I call those "paint chippers".
If it will get an 18 yr old pawg in the passenger seat, that’s all that matters.

I would say 17 y.o. But dont want to come off as uncle creepy.

Its all the boys dressed up for each other! To show the other boys how cool you are. Those would get you a ticket here especially during winter months!
dry sand a wide tire, it's not smart to let the air out and run too low, easier to break a bead on the side wall/wheel. wide tire, watch your speed if you think you are getting in trouble slow down, and crawl. if you start to get stuck drop it in low 4 and ease out.
Originally Posted by RDW

Wrong.............

^^That truck is missing all the cheesy chrome accent pieces that can be bought from Vatozone.....
A few years ago I bought used in great shape 2012 Dodge 3/4 ton. The owner live in Seattle and had on the wide over sized tires with a lift kit. They were worthless driving long distance on the highway, handling sucked, and really worthless in mud, off road rocks and snow. I took em off and sold them and replaced with factory sized rims and tires.

I can remember getting stuck in snow many times and it wasn't even in deep or in steep areas. I was WTF?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by slumlord
I would say 17 y.o. But dont want to come off as uncle creepy.

No chance of that Slum laugh
Mall Crawler. See that schit around here all the time.
Originally Posted by RDW

Wrong.............

Whigger special.......piping out the gangsta thump for the entire zip code to enjoy.
We're supposed to have covering fenders in this state. Rocks and spray make life interesting for those behind. Wonder how much a 4 chain set costs if he/she/it ever runs in snow?
Originally Posted by SCgman1
Whigger special.......piping out the gangsta thump for the entire zip code to enjoy.

LOL I love that, especially when the license plate rattle is louder than the "music".
Teenagers live off Daddy's money!!
Back in the 80s and 90s, around here lift kits were the chit. BUT if your tires stuck out past the body, you were just asking for a ticket. More than once, I had a state trooper pull me over and put a straight edge on the sidewalls of my tires. How they get away with it now is beyond me.
Originally Posted by bobinpa
Back in the 80s and 90s, around here lift kits were the chit. BUT if your tires stuck out past the body, you were just asking for a ticket. More than once, I had a state trooper pull me over and put a straight edge on the sidewalls of my tires. How they get away with it now is beyond me.

And headlights more than 54” above the ground were illegal. I once got a ticket for the light bar on my CJ7, the lights were not on but the covers were off.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Salmonella

THAT"S the way you do it...
My wife's truck has tires kinda like those. It's her dune truck.

I say again, it's HER dune truck, last I checked she/we can do whatever the fugg we want to it.

If it's not your vehicle who cares.
Originally Posted by DMc
More money than sense?

Butt ugly to boot.

Shoulda snorked it for the uber cool factor.
Originally Posted by RDW

Wrong.............

That is known as the South Carolina Squat around here........
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Nothing like fuggin' up a perfectly good truck...

^^^This^^^
Wonder how many windshields that jack wagon has taken out.
Nothing but pavement queen.
Some idiots have more money than brains.

But how many of them ever see any sand? We don't have any here. We have rocks. Tall and narrow are much better. They're also better on the highway and in snow.
White people problems.
Originally Posted by 16bore
White people problems.

Didn't know wide tires is now a race issue. Then again why not, every thing else is a race issue.
Just as funny are the Toyota's with mud tires, winch, bumpers, stickers, shackles, racks, etc, that NEVER get more than a little dirty.

Urban lumber sexual at it finest.

I always loved the mall crawler with the snorkel.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

But how many of them ever see any sand? We don't have any here. We have rocks. Tall and narrow are much better. They're also better on the highway and in snow.

well, I live tens miles, from 70 plus miles of beach.
You guys ever see those hunting rifles with all the sniper scopes and stuff? Who needs that schit?
Originally Posted by Joel/AK

I say again, it's HER dune truck, last I checked she/we can do whatever the fugg we want to it.

When those tires grab rock and take the windshield of the car behind, it becomes everyones problem. Especially the owner of the vehicle with no flaps or fender covering. And the person with the rock on their dash board, that gets your next ten years wages! But who cares?
Originally Posted by badger
Originally Posted by RDW

Wrong.............

That is known as the South Carolina Squat around here........

More boys dressing for other boys! Those are called bandito buggies, in my neck of the woods!
Originally Posted by RDW

Wrong.............

We call that the [bleep] squat here in the heart of Dixie
yeah they forget to lift the back and the truck looks like it has concrete bags in the back. it looks terrible.
Originally Posted by Heym06

When those tires grab rock and take the windshield of the car behind, it becomes everyones problem. Especially the owner of the vehicle with no flaps or fender covering. And the person with the rock on their dash board, that gets your next ten years wages! But who cares?

Yup, I can relate. Had a sheriff take out my windshield last year and they told me to basically pound sand. I'm not a double standard guy.
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
yeah they forget to lift the back and the truck looks like it has concrete bags in the back. it looks terrible.

It's just taking a poop.
Bulldogged Froggers...
Driver usually a flat bill with white rim sunglasses on.

Tar Babies.....
Originally Posted by 16bore
White people problems.

Didn't know wide tires is now a race issue. Then again why not, every thing else is a race issue.

So true!

A Honda Civic is a fast car. It puts all old loud American muscle cars people love to shame. And most of the modern ones too.

[Linked Image from hips.hearstapps.com]
Is this one less painful? New Mexico snowmobile, now in the sandy desert.

Originally Posted by Goosey
A Honda Civic is a fast car. It puts all old loud American muscle cars people love to shame. And most of the modern ones too.

You're a homo.
Originally Posted by CCCC

Like!
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Yup.

Might be interesting when one of those rear bearings slips and the wheel and axle start running in the next lane over.

Now that's how to do it.

THAT is tolerable to good, in my eyes, anyway. Then again, I just put factory equivalent tires on my pickup. They are plenty wide enough for my needs. In fact, if they were skinnier, I might get better mileage.
My old Cherokee has em sticking out...but its sporting full width 44s.
I had 4.5" of lift and 31's when I had it, but the D30 front was toast and D35 rears aint crap (blown a couple on other Jeeps).
Body was in great shape, so guy bought it and beefed it up.

it has normal wheels, just has wider axles.

That’s a good one

No it doesn’t you clam

Nice truck.
If guys want to have tires outside their pickup fenders throwing rocks and mud etc all over their own rig, a law making fender flares covering them protecting the rest of us is a good idea.

No one likes broken windshields.

Nice!

That ain't no regular honda it's a race car! Dummy

C4 - I'm not a Chevy guy, but if I was....

...that's prezacly what mine would look like.

Badass pickup.
Pretty dumb. These kids ‘round here buy kits to tap into their exhaust manifolds that will dump used motor oil into the exhaust in order to make the diesel smoke.

The 65 chevy impala taillights are ugly on that truck.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Pretty dumb. These kids ‘round here buy kits to tap into their exhaust manifolds that will dump used motor oil into the exhaust in order to make the diesel smoke.
Your post reminds me of the guys in the late 50s that would rig a spark plug (or some spark device) near the end of each dual exhaust pipe - stomp the pedal to send through some unburned fuel - and light them off trying to get a bang and a flash. Seemed really dumb at the time.
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

The 65 chevy impala taillights are ugly on that truck.

If you can see them through the tire smoke! Chances are thats all most would see!
......................................"YOUTH" either chronological or cranial.
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan

Yup.

Might be interesting when one of those rear bearings slips and the wheel and axle start running in the next lane over.

Are you talking about irreducible complexity?

lmao...
I bet the dent and paint chip repair shop likes it too.
Originally Posted by Heym06

That ain't no regular honda it's a race car! Dummy

Yes, Goosey is a legend in his own mind.

No, that's not a race car. Full interior, no roll cage. Likely a video from someone lapping the Nurburgring in Civic R, but I'm not going to go searching for it. And it's not like the driver is going particularly fast on the race track. Those are kph, not mph.
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
I bet the dent and paint chip repair shop likes it too.

LMAO! geico, allfu-k and progressve hates em because of al the chipped windshields they have to buy! only a matter of time before that fuggin cancellation notice appears in email or mailbox! ; ]

i bet even that sackwash 'The General" gets pissed and is writing up lowyer lingo be excluded!
Anyone bitch about dual eight-inch exhaust stacks, on a damned pickup yet? So silly.

The tires are wide, but it looks like it has wheel extensions.
I used them in swamps for flotation in the mud. I think a narrower tire works better in snow and ice.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
I think a narrower tire works better in snow and ice.

No think about it, they do. smile
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Was on a journey, trying to retrieve a travel trailer abandoned at elk camp, where we had the opposite experience. The narrow-tired rig struggled as the wide-tired rig ran circles around it. So, I gotta give it a not always and depends....

I'm ok with the tires. It's talking to me. The vehicle owner has done many mods to the suspension. I was at a camp this year and a guy had a double dark blue two tone with a built 460 in it. The wide tires are frosting on a beautiful cake.
dry sand a wide tire, it's not smart to let the air out and run too low, easier to break a bead on the side wall/wheel. wide tire, watch your speed if you think you are getting in trouble slow down, and crawl. if you start to get stuck drop it in low 4 and ease out.

that's the way I do it on Florida's sandy beaches. That advice works well in the Ocala NF also, where many of the roads are deep sugar sand. My old 4Runner has tiny 235/15 tires, and I never get stuck.
Boomers....
Originally Posted by MM879

I'm ok with the tires. It's talking to me. The vehicle owner has done many mods to the suspension. I was at a camp this year and a guy had a double dark blue two tone with a built 460 in it. The wide tires are frosting on a beautiful cake.

Yeah I don’t dig the wide flats but it’s a good looking dent side. 78-79 are my favorite old Ford years. I was thinking I sure hope he replaced or rebuilt with some good parts the likely 351M or 400 2bbl lunger it came with. Of course it could have shipped with the mighty 300 straight 6 banger. None of the above ever making more than about 150hp in stock form. Of course I still occasionally hear stories about old so and so’s 70 something Ford/Dodge/Chevy that had the 390/440/454 insert old wheezy carbed plant here, and how it’d pull or run and I have to smile. The rose colored glasses of time have made some serious hot rods out of those old rigs.
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by MM879

Yeah I don’t dig the wide flats but it’s a good looking dent side. 78-79 are my favorite old Ford years. I was thinking I sure hope he replaced or rebuilt with some good parts the likely 351M or 400 2bbl lunger it came with. Of course it could have shipped with the mighty 300 straight 6 banger. None of the above ever making more than about 150hp in stock form. Of course I still occasionally hear stories about old so and so’s 70 something Ford/Dodge/Chevy that had the 390/440/454 insert old wheezy carbed plant here, and how it’d pull or run and I have to smile. The rose colored glasses of time have made some serious hot rods out of those old rigs.

I would imagine that the owner really suffers pulling his 65 restored Corvet behind that old truck. He probably is packing a 4 1/2 Colt Python on his hip also.
Last time that I checked, in Texas, all the vehicle tires must be covered by fenders. Mostly for the protection of other drivers , maybe. If those funny rigs are run only off road, who cares? Otherwise, they are a public nuisance and danger on paved public roads.
Originally Posted by crshelton
Last time that I checked, in Texas, all the vehicle tires must be covered by fenders. Mostly for the protection of other drivers , maybe. If those funny rigs are run only off road, who cares? Otherwise, they are a public nuisance and danger on paved public roads.

Off road?

With twice the width hitting the dirt, it would be a flat fixer's dream come true... grin
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Was on a journey, trying to retrieve a travel trailer abandoned at elk camp, where we had the opposite experience. The narrow-tired rig struggled as the wide-tired rig ran circles around it. So, I gotta give it a not always and depends....

Pizza cutter tires effect, lol

That's the "macho" factor kicking in. Another example being the Ram guys with the mirrors tilted out, permanently - not towing.
A young lady I know calls them "elkhorns"
All for look - not for function.

It's not just the 20" tires that suck

It's the actual wheel offset that pushes 'em out......

Totally fuggin' stupid

Like to see it running a rocky dry stream bed in Utah @ 16PSI
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan

Yup.

Are you talking about irreducible complexity?

^^^Definitey irreducible complexity^^^

every tire has its use for sure! I don't like big wide ones. Had a set in my teens. Went to skinny tall ones since then and so far so good.
Seemed to be a thing in hawaii, super wide tires sticking way out. I see a few bro diesels around here like that, generally with truck nuts on the back laugh
Originally Posted by mark shubert

That's the "macho" factor kicking in. Another example being the Ram guys with the mirrors tilted out, permanently - not towing.
A young lady I know calls them "elkhorns"
All for look - not for function.

Nephew does that. I call it lil dic syndrome. Dumbest damn thing. Well maybe not. He was the fool that put truck nuts on his truck and wife cut them off.

I just tilt his mirrors in every time.

Funniest part is he has hit more chit and both mirrors are broken. Pull em in you idiot.
© 24hourcampfire