Home
The boss is after a new used buggy. She is used to driving trucks, and wants something big with 3 rows, and room behind the third row. Thus, we're relegated to a Suburban/Yukon XL or a Expedition EL type rig. Her last SUV was an Excursion, so she is not intimidated by large vehicles.

I'm looking for feedback from anyone that has owned the Advanced Fuel Management V8's, in the Sub/Yuk platform, 2010 to 2015 range, and whether their experience was good or horrifying. I've owned enough Fords to know they're not perfect (daughter's Expedition just barfed out its fourth spark plug), and I don't believe any of the other manufacturers offer anything large enough.

Let me know what you know. TIA.
We have had great luck with the 5.3 in 6 trucks. Average about 18 mpg local driving. Comments from guys that have the 6.2 are that they have plenty of power but gas mileage is 10-12 mpg.
I drove a new 1/2 ton Chevy with the 5.3 before I bought my Ram. asked the salesman why if felt like it was cutting out on the interstate. He said, they all do that, it’s the AFM. I said no thanks. Truck felt cheap and ran like crap, as far as I am concerned. Had a pre-AFM 5.3 in a Suburban, awesome truck and motor. ran like a scalded dog and got good mileage to boot. Got a bit over 20mpg with that rig driving from MO to Norfolk, VA.
Can't you just unplug the AFM module? From what I've heard on various TV shows, you can just take out the fuse or unplug something and forgo the "pleasure" of it cutting out the cylinders.
Up to 2013(id do it on newer also) installed Range Technologies RA003 in OBD port.

https://www.amazon.com/Active-Manag...541481&sprefix=active+fue&sr=8-3
Might I suggest the Canyonero:

5.3 in our Suburban. Never feel it cut in or out.
I have a 6.2 in my GMC Sierra 1500 and really like it. Lots of power and I get good mileage for the type of driving I do 41,000 miles and 18.7 avg currently
Originally Posted by pahick
Up to 2013(id do it on newer also) installed Range Technologies RA003 in OBD port.

This. Works like a charm on a 2017 5.3. First thing I bought for it.
Originally Posted by auk1124

This. Works like a charm on a 2017 5.3. First thing I bought for it.

That's interesting. I like the idea of not having to do a reprogram. I don't buy full size trucks expecting to get miraculous gas mileage. I can live with 12-15mpg if the drivetrain is reliable.
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Might I suggest the Canyonero:

High Noon, this is likely the best vehicle suggestion I'll get all year. grin
I have 3 Chevy trucks and Suburbans and they all have the 5.3 with 275,000++ miles on them. They’ve been completely dependable and damn near bulletproof! I will be buying another after Hawaii but I’m wanting a 3/4 ton diesel but I wouldn’t hesitate getting another 5.3. It’s towed, hauled and busted trail for me all over the western states and it’s NEVER left me stranded!

Good luck but you won’t need it since you’re buying a Chevy. 😁

PS...don’t listen to the BS uninformed propaganda about the bailout money. Ford took just as much as Chevy and I think Dodge or it’s parent company did too. If hundreds of millions of dollars were being handed out to your competition you’d be foolish not to take it. It would be almost irresponsible to the Board and the shareholders to yield your competitive edge by turning down a no interest loan. I didn’t want to derail your post but thought I’d inject some perspective just in case this thread turns into EVERY OTHER THREAD about Chevy, Ford, Dodge and Toyota (😂)
Is that accurate? Ford took money too? They make it sound like they refused.
Seen a bunch of 5.3s with over 200K, & they still sell for big money.

Folks should realize the days of worn out at 100K was a product of the 70's & they want to judge from then.

I have no knowledge of the 6.2s, but if problematic, horror stories shouldn't be hard to find.
The AFM can be turned off if you want.

Some older versions with the 8 speed tranny had a surge problem caused by interaction between the AFM and the tranny.
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

Ford took money in loans that aren't due to be paid off until next year:

Ford $6B g-loan

Forbes article from 2016

As for the GM 5.3. Nothing wrong with that powerplant. It is a well designed engine.
Big difference between loans and what some took
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I have 3 Chevy trucks and Suburbans and they all have the 5.3 with 275,000++ miles on them. They’ve been completely dependable and damn near bulletproof! I will be buying another after Hawaii but I’m wanting a 3/4 ton diesel but I wouldn’t hesitate getting another 5.3. It’s towed, hauled and busted trail for me all over the western states and it’s NEVER left me stranded!

Good luck but you won’t need it since you’re buying a Chevy. 😁

PS...don’t listen to the BS uninformed propaganda about the bailout money. Ford took just as much as Chevy and I think Dodge or it’s parent company did too. If hundreds of millions of dollars were being handed out to your competition you’d be foolish not to take it. It would be almost irresponsible to the Board and the shareholders to yield your competitive edge by turning down a no interest loan. I didn’t want to derail your post but thought I’d inject some perspective just in case this thread turns into EVERY OTHER THREAD about Chevy, Ford, Dodge and Toyota (😂)

I have a 2003 5.3 with 319K on it currently. It's the one I'm looking to replace before the nickel and diming gets out of control. I hope that the newer engines are just as reliable.
6.2 with a 10 speed in a 2020 Z71 Trail Boss Crew. Averaged 19.4mpg on recent 2K miler. Power on tap and smooth.
Nollij,

Recently made a run with a buddy in his new Denali Z-71 pickup with the 6.2 liter engine. He had his leveled at the dealer before taking delivery and swapped out his new tires for some 33” BFG KOs in 8 ply. The dealer corrected the speedometer and shift points for tire size.

We traveled close to 500 miles round trip. His hand calculated average was 16.6 mpg and the computer was very close to that. Speeds varied but mostly 75mph on the interstate and he doesn’t baby the truck. Lots of heavy winds.

It was a flawless performance all the way around and a nice ride.

Just fwiw.
i'd have to think for a minute and count the 5.3s that I've owned, or my friends and family own,

All have been rock stars, I've never once ever felt any of the cylinders cut out like stated above, In fact I call bullcrap on that statement...

Currently driving a '12 with the 5.3, 160k (bought new) on the engine, And in usual fashion I'll drive it to the 225k range before i think of replacing.
Originally Posted by Kenneth
i'd have to think for a minute and count the 5.3s that I've owned, or my friends and family own,

All have been rock stars, I've never once ever felt any of the cylinders cut out like stated above, In fact I call bullcrap on that statement...

Currently driving a '12 with the 5.3, 160k (bought new) on the engine, And in usual fashion I'll drive it to the 225k range before i think of replacing.

They had a surge problem.
GM collapsed its stock. They left millions of company OWNERS holding the bag. All the other companies bought out the shares.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Can't you just unplug the AFM module? From what I've heard on various TV shows, you can just take out the fuse or unplug something and forgo the "pleasure" of it cutting out the cylinders.

why would you want to do this?

A v8 when needed, A v4 when needed....it's not like this feature is costing you extra, in fact just the opposite.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

what and when?
Originally Posted by MM879
GM collapsed its stock. They left millions of company OWNERS holding the bag. All the other companies bought out the shares.

true, and totally uncool.

what and when?

Google it if you’re interested.

It affected the whole line including the Cadillac suv
264k on a 2012 1/2 ton Silverado w/afm. Never an issue, but flush the engine 2x a year. You’ll never feel the AFM working. You’ll have V8 for everything except cruising.

what and when?

I'm not interested, you brought it up, It's irrelevant to me or the topic.

Good to know that you're getting that reliability out of your drivetrains. My guess is that maintenance is key to longevity, just like everything else.
Had a 2003 that I bought new and dearly loved. 225k trouble free miles.

Dad has a 2006. Has a leaky pan and rear main. Runs smooth other than lifter tick or whatever it is, common. 170k miles.

Wife bought a 2007 new. Traded at 100k. Motor ran smooth but used a lot of oil between changes. Several friends with same in 2007.

Had a 2012 Yukon. Bought with 50k mikes. Traded at 160k. Only repair I made was a steering wheel position sensor, took about an hour to pull steering column and replace. $40 part.

Currently GM free.
I've got a 2015 Silverado 1/2 ton Crew Cab 4x4 5,3 and I assume it has the original AFM type ignition system. I think they changed it in 2017 or so? I've got about 55K on it and it has been pretty much flawless other than a fault I kept getting that caused me to replace a direct fuel injector before I took it to the dealer and found out it was a wire that had gotten nicked and was rubbing against the body, causing it to throw several unrelated codes. I never notice the switch from V8- V4 except for the indicator on the guage cluster that tells me when it changes. In fact, I try to drive easily when I can as kind of a challenge to see how long I can get the V4 indicator to show up and get my best gas mileage... all in all I love this truck so far and I haven't changed my mind about the 5.3 being possibly the best engine Chevy ever built... my buddies own Fords, Dodges, and Toyotas and always seem to want to take my truck because it has the best ride and gas mileage of the bunch...

My 2003 had just a tick over 200K miles, but it lived a hard life. It was a farm truck before I bought it with about 120K miles on it. The 6.0 still ran like a top and the transmission was perfect, but the body bushings, tie rods, control arm bushings, shocks, and everything else needed replacing at 200K and I figured it was time for a new truck instead since I was getting ready to retire. For a couple thousand dollars in total repairs I could have driven it another 200K, but I was tired of driving a 3/4 ton HD and getting beat up on the rough roads where I hunt and fish... drivetrain was never an issue, though...

what and when?

I'm not interested, you brought it up, It's irrelevant to me or the topic.

Then forget it. It seemed relevant enough to you to ask.

Fair enough.
Originally Posted by sackett
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

Ford took money in loans that aren't due to be paid off until next year:

Ford $6B g-loan

Forbes article from 2016

As for the GM 5.3. Nothing wrong with that powerplant. It is a well designed engine.

Those articles read as if Ford is living paycheck to paycheck in an effort to pay back those loans. It reads as if Ford got in financial trouble early and took out these Federal Loans and probably wished they could have waited and took the TRAP money. It may yet get interesting as to what Ford does in June of 2022 about these loans. I hope it works out for them and their employees. Oh yeah, I'm on my third 5.3. No troubles and averaging 20+ mpg on the AFM models. Seamless transition between 4 and 8 cylinders so far at 45K miles on my 2018 so far.
The 6.0 was the the gas hungry one not the 6.2. I’m on my third one and have averaged overall 18 plus mpg. This is in North Dakota with long cold winters.
Had a 2011 Z71 that clogged the cats at 72k miles. Kept a quart of oil on hand because it likely needed it (often). Sold it and went with a trouble free Ram.
Originally Posted by JerradPelzer
I have a 6.2 in my GMC Sierra 1500 and really like it. Lots of power and I get good mileage for the type of driving I do 41,000 miles and 18.7 avg currently

My experience with 2018 Silverado is same.... 26,000 miles... no issues.

Sold my diesel truck as this 6.2/hd half ton does really well.
I had an 04 Avalanche with the 5.3. I was disappointed with its gas mileage. Constantly searched for gears on mountain roads. Not so great pulling even a medium trailer.

Had a 6.0 in a work van and Escalade. Great motor! Decent gas mileage and plenty of poop.

I've been looking for new. Test drove the 6.2 and like it a lot. Great power. Can't speak to the towing or gas mileage.

I currently drive an 06 Silverado 2500 with a Duramax. Can easily keep up with a stock Mustang and gets great fuel mileage. No emissions to mess with.

I'm a die hard Chevy guy. Embarrassed to say I just took a 5.7 Ram Crew Cab for a test drive. Hate to admit, they are doing a lot right. Interior is very nice. Motor has tons of power. Couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on one. Very good value.

Originally Posted by Rgramjet

Had a 6.0 in a work van and Escalade. Great motor! Decent gas mileage and plenty of poop.

Same here. Great engine. Never had a issue with it.
Drove a 2019 suburban that had less than 20k miles on it recently as a rental. The thing was more loose and rattley and just felt unsold compared to my 2017 f 150 with 91k miles including aboun12k of that being beat to hell on nevada high desert back roads. Plastic trim and materials didn’t seem awesome either. I am not a Ford fan boy btw. I am buying a Toyota next. My experience with the rental suburban is typical of my GM experience. Great power train. Piss poor build quality.
I've had 6 1/2 ton trucks with the 5.3 since 2000 and a 2008 impala ss with a 5.3. I don't recall ever having a problem with any of them.

My current truck is a new style ram with the 5.7 hemi which I never thought I'd own but I like it and the 8 speed transmission is great for a ram too.

My 5.3 chevys got a bit better milage than the ram. My dad has a suburban with the 6.2 and he gets 20 mpg quite often but it recommends premium fuel. I've heard the new suburban with the 5.3 and 10 speed do really well. I never ran premium in any of my 5.3s.

Bb
My 2011 Silverado has the 5.3 with AFM and 265K miles. I go 5000 miles between oil changes and add a quart a 3000 and another one a 4000. Started liking oil about 170K miles or so. Something with the AFM I guess but never had it deleted or fixed. It is starting to require minor BS stuff. I also have a 2018 with the 6.2 and about 25K miles with nothing other than oil changes. The 6.2 is a lot more fun to drive than the 5.3, lots more get up and go. Never noticed the AFM working in either truck.
Originally Posted by Nollij
The boss is after a new used buggy. She is used to driving trucks, and wants something big with 3 rows, and room behind the third row. Thus, we're relegated to a Suburban/Yukon XL or a Expedition EL type rig. Her last SUV was an Excursion, so she is not intimidated by large vehicles.

I'm looking for feedback from anyone that has owned the Advanced Fuel Management V8's, in the Sub/Yuk platform, 2010 to 2015 range, and whether their experience was good or horrifying. I've owned enough Fords to know they're not perfect (daughter's Expedition just barfed out its fourth spark plug), and I don't believe any of the other manufacturers offer anything large enough.

Let me know what you know. TIA.
I am coming off owning a 2016 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi engine 6 speed tranny 4X4 my city/highway MPG,s were 13.5 great truck no issues.We traded it in for a 2020 GMC Yukon Denali with the 6.2 engine with 10 speed tranny driving 55-60 mph we get 21 mpg, city/highway 17.5 mpg, s.This is my first GM product since 2005 time will tell on dependability ..
Not in the year range you're asking about, but my 2007 5.3 hauls or pulls whatever I want. Only has 112k & if I floor it to pass someone on interstate it's a done deal. I also like the overhead valve configuration with cast heads vs the modular ford engines. Driven several 5.4 that spit out multiple plugs & that crap is unacceptable.
I have a similar powertrain with the AFM and roller lifter setup. The manufacture specifies 0w-40 full synthetic oil in it. They claim that it can run to 8000.0 miles. I keep a close eye on it and do not feel comfortable with letting go past 5000.0 miles. These big gas V8's do work the oil hard when used. I pull a 30' travel trailer with it and it does it part as long as I do my part. I do not want to go down the rabbit hole of oil analysis.
I’ve had the 6.2 in 2 different trucks since 2014. The first one was a 2014 with AFM. The 2nd is a 2019 with DFM. Despite what you read about those cylinder management systems having big problems, I have never had a problem. I traded with 14 for the 19 at about 90k miles and will do the same with the 19 gets to that point so I’m not high mileage.

The 6.2 is also a beast when you put your foot into it
2014 GMC 6.2 with 141,000 trouble free miles. Great motor
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
Not in the year range you're asking about, but my 2007 5.3 hauls or pulls whatever I want. Only has 112k & if I floor it to pass someone on interstate it's a done deal. I also like the overhead valve configuration with cast heads vs the modular ford engines. Driven several 5.4 that spit out multiple plugs & that crap is unacceptable.

Same here, 04 Tahoe with 5.3 179K miles and all the power needed for towing and passing on the highway.
The basis for the 5.3 [327]has been around a long, long time and is a proven workhorse.
AFM is so good they replaced it with DFM.

TO "Really" disable AFM you have to replace lifters, pushrods and a cam as well .
The varying options on pick ups is interesting. So much is in the eye of the beholder. I have a large sales territory, averaging over 50,000 miles per year, on company pick ups. I have had three Fords, one Chevy, two Toyota’s, and am now on a Dodge. The Dodge drives great, rides great, and is plenty powerful. Is is also of the least overall quality of any of my company vehicles. No doubt about it. My pick of the litter would be my 2008 F-150 that I bought from the company when it cycled out. My 05 Chevy would be a close second. I bought that truck too. I doubt that I will buy this Dodge if given the option.
I had a 2010 GMC with the 5.3 with AFM, no issues with it. Sold it at 153K miles, really only routine maintenance. Guy in town bought it 2 years ago, must still be OK cause I saw it about 2 weeks ago going down the road. Never once did I feel it surge, the deactivation or whatever of cylinders happens seamlessly.
Do any of you 6.2 users ever burn regular gas or always premium ??

Great engine with loads of power..
I'm on my 2nd used Suburban with the 5.3L V8 and it's the only Chevy I'd care to own. I wanted to find a cheap daily driver and regularly see these for sale with 250-300k miles so I picked my 2004 up with over 150k and sold it a few years later with under 200k. It wasn't much to look at by then as the rust had started to take off all along the bottom but it served its purpose. I picked up my current 2013 with just under 120k and am planning on also driving it until ~200k. In my experience, the weakest link with this vehicle is the fuel pump.......
2014 Silverado 1500 4x4, 5.3L. Eight speed/AFM. No issues so far with AFM, 82,000 miles.

Plenty of towing and passing power with 355 HP and 3:42 gears. Third full sized 4x4 GM truck w/5.3L since 2006.

Best ever mileage with the 2014, 24.7 on a trip when it was new and unladen. Just put over 400 miles on it, 19 MPG combined highway/local on this trip, About half that trip in mountainous northern PA, with lots of local driving. Even with all my "essentials" in the bed (500+ pounds), still knocks out a sustained 22 MPG at 75, on fairly level stretches of highway.

Gather my firewood locally now, but used to regularly cut it at camp and haul 2+ cords home (180 miles) on my 16' double axle flatbed. Zero issues towing. Last two years hauled 3 cords of red and white oak home at a time, in a friend's double axle dump trailer. No sweat for the 5.3L.
Originally Posted by PatB
Do any of you 6.2 users ever burn regular gas or always premium ??

Great engine with loads of power..
Owners manual SUGGESTS burning 93 OCT.I run 89 oct and 93 oct ever other tank.Tried 87 oct.once and had some spark knock when accelerating.
I appreciate all the responses. It looks like AFM's are not as bad as the internet would have you believe. Again, all responses appreciated, and I would much rather hear real life experiences than fanboy fawning or bashing.

I'm not a hardcore GM or Ford guy, but sure would have a tough time straying from either one of those. My Dad and brother are Ram converts. They give me crap about not switching over regularly. Makes for fun conversations most days.
My son in law just dumped over $6K into his 5.3 motored 1500 due to the AFM system ruining rockers internal parts. When he bought the truck he immediately reprogramed it to cancel this feature but apparently the 60k it was driven before he bought it let enough damage occur that it took a dump. No thanks on AFM for me.
Considering that a NEW Goodwrench 5.3L crate engine runs around $4K, I'd say his was money ill-spent? GM re-manufactured engines are even less than that.

Ever consider that whatever he did to modify it from original configurations, was the culprit? I personally know folks that have put well over 100,000 miles on 5.3L AFM Chevy engines with zero issues.
I've always heard it's not the motor on GM's you need to worry about, it's the transmission.
Nah. that was mid to late 90s Lamb 4x4s..

Neighbor's son had a '97 half ton 4x4 that literally ate two transmissions within less than a year and a half. Filed a Lemon Law case and got a replacement truck in '98. That one ate the tranny about a year later. After it was replaced under warranty, traded it on a new Ford.

My '84 Lamb 2WD half ton lunched the tranny at less than a hundred thousand. No more Lambs for me, although everyone I know with newer ones seem happy?.
Originally Posted by dubePA
Lamb 4x4s..

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a "Lamb" in referenceo a truck? Never heard of that before.
My dad bought the '84 RAM new. It quit on him multiple times over a period of two weeks, when he was at our cabin. It was less than a year old. Carb had black grit in it. Two different Chrysler dealers had it in, decided it must be grit from the black plastic gas tank? Cleaned carb, replaced fuel filter (duh). It quit again, took it to a garage, same deal.

My buddy and I went up, old boy told us about the issues with the truck. We cleaned carb, discovered the grit was coming from the fuel vapor recovery canister (charcoal filled). I disconnected the vacuum line from the canister, plugged the line to the carb, problem solved. Until he got it back home to the dealer he'd bought it from.They replaced the canister, eventually did it again. I installed a fuel filter in the vacuum line to the canister, end of that issue. Bought it from him later.

My buddy, a long time mechanic, pronounced it to be The Lamb and we forever after dubbed all Dodge RAMS, Lambs..
The biggest issue with AFM's is when they lunch out. Lots of parts.

To keep them from lunching out I'd use Premium fuel (even though many are E rated) and change the oil when it hits 10% of the oil life; 15-20% if its used primarily as a duty truck.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Had a 2003 that I bought new and dearly loved. 225k trouble free miles.

Dad has a 2006. Has a leaky pan and rear main. Runs smooth other than lifter tick or whatever it is, common. 170k miles.

Wife bought a 2007 new. Traded at 100k. Motor ran smooth but used a lot of oil between changes. Several friends with same in 2007.

Had a 2012 Yukon. Bought with 50k mikes. Traded at 160k. Only repair I made was a steering wheel position sensor, took about an hour to pull steering column and replace. $40 part.

Currently GM free.

The first version of the 5.3 with AFM was introduced in 2007. We had an 07 that burned oil like crazy, started having other issues as well so we sold it with full disclosure to new owner. GM had issues with the early versions of the AFM, and they had it pretty much sorted out by 2011 models. There was a difference in the way oil and fuel was (or wasn't) delivered in the non-firing cylinders, a tweak of the valve lifters, and a redesign to the valve covers to help keep the oil from entering the combustion chamber, and a change to the tune to control when/how it would cut in and out. The next rig was a 2012 and the AFM functions better/smoother from a driving standpoint, and the rig doesn't use any oil at all.

It's possible to turn off AFM with a dongle or with a simple tune like Diablosport, Hypertech, etc. I think up to the 2020 models. The new rigs have over the air live diagnostics and updates so not sure about them.
I’ve got a 2013 pickup with the regular 6.2. Great engine no problems. I had a 2015 Denali with the 6.2 AFM. Great engine, no problems. I’ve got a 2019 Escalade with the newer 6.2 and AFM. Great engine, no problems.

The 6.2 has power to burn and is dead solid reliable. Paired with the ten speed transmission, the power is smooth like a golf cart.
Originally Posted by dubePA
My dad bought the '84 RAM new. It quit on him multiple times over a period of two weeks, when he was at our cabin. It was less than a year old. Carb had black grit in it. Two different Chrysler dealers had it in, decided it must be grit from the black plastic gas tank? Cleaned carb, replaced fuel filter (duh). It quit again, took it to a garage, same deal.

My buddy and I went up, old boy told us about the issues with the truck. We cleaned carb, discovered the grit was coming from the fuel vapor recovery canister (charcoal filled). I disconnected the vacuum line from the canister, plugged the line to the carb, problem solved. Until he got it back home to the dealer he'd bought it from.They replaced the canister,

eventually did it again. I installed a fuel filter in the vacuum line to the canister, end of that issue. Bought it from him later.

My buddy, a long time mechanic, pronounced it to be The Lamb and we forever after dubbed all Dodge RAMS, Lambs..

Thanks. I just couldn’t figure that one out.
Same here as Cumminscowboy on newer chev pickup. Bought my wife a new 2019 Silverado. Was a poorly built rig. 6 months and it was down the road. Rattletrap! Still liking my 2017 Silverado. Edk
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I've always heard it's not the motor on GM's you need to worry about, it's the transmission.

The 4L60e is probably what you heard about. I know more people that had issues than those that didn’t. Yes, I had one too.
Hard pass on any early version 5.3L with AFM.

Again, this is the answer. If you go the programmer route, you have to return to stock every time you get emissions done, and drive the sob for how many miles to reset the sensors before you test. With Range Technologies you just shut off the engine, pull it out of the OBDII port, restart and go get the emissions test.

As far as valvetrain problems thats "usually"(it can still happen if maintenance is lacking) below '14. In '14 GM went to a dual stage oil system and 0-20 oil. '13 and below it is a single stage pump and 5-30. The problem is lifter collapse.

Lifter collapse happened to my '11 under warranty, it happened to my dads '07 twice, both times out of warranty. As someone said in another post(where they stated the only way to get rid of AFM is to put 6.0 valvetrain in) was to tear the engine down and get a AFM delete kit using non AFM valvetrain. Thats wrong, again link above, Range Technologies. BUT, yes you can go that route and replace the valvetrain with a kit like THIS which can be kinda pricey when you add up all the parts...usually around $800 for parts if you pick a single bolt cam. Plus your time or someone elses labor.

I tell everyone, whether is early AFM or newer to install Range Technologies. Might notice 2-3mpg less, but itll solve lifter collapse AS LONG AS YOU KEEP OIL CHANGE INTERVALS REASONABLE! If you run 15k intervals all bets are off. Me personally, I go 10k max.

These engines arent cheap. You CAN go to a yard and get a 5.3 for a decent price if yours is scrap, but mines an LC9, all aluminum heads and block. LS engines are everywhere, but guys are buying them left and right due to their ability to produce some major horsepower quite easily. The heads flow phenomenally and the bottom ends are 6 bolt mains. Tough engines! Throw a turbo on and cam and youre producing 600-1000hp easily.
I have a 2015 Silverado with the 5.3 and have no problems with the switching to 4 cylinders. It has 123000 miles with no issues. I would buy another.
© 24hourcampfire