Home
We had a 2012 Subaru Outback until last week when a distracted driver hit my daughter. It was quite an impact and totaled her vehicle so now we're on the lookout for a small to mid-sized AWD SUV to replace the Outback. When I purchased this one with around 85k, the engine/transmission had already been overhauled so I was planning on getting another 50-75k out of it. I'm guessing the replacement will be something like another Outback, Forester, CR-V, RAV-4, Escape, or something along these lines (no Dodge, Chevy, GMC) what would safe and reliable to ~175k. So, for those with experience with these vehicles or similar-sized 2012-2017 AWD SUVs, what are your recommendations or warnings for us to consider. Thanks for your help!
Lexus RX 350, or the slightly smaller NX 200t for your comparison/needs.... .."buy"...if that isn't already a given.
Toyota Rav4 is a good one.

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Toyota Rav4 is a good one.

. . . or Honda CR-V
Anything as long as it starts with TOY and ends with OTA.
Originally Posted by Nebraska
We had a 2012 Subaru Outback until last week when a distracted driver hit my daughter. It was quite an impact and totaled her vehicle so now we're on the lookout for a small to mid-sized AWD SUV to replace the Outback. When I purchased this one with around 85k, the engine/transmission had already been overhauled so I was planning on getting another 50-75k out of it. I'm guessing the replacement will be something like another Outback, Forester, CR-V, RAV-4, Escape, or something along these lines (no Dodge, Chevy, GMC) what would safe and reliable to ~175k. So, for those with experience with these vehicles or similar-sized 2012-2017 AWD SUVs, what are your recommendations or warnings for us to consider. Thanks for your help!

Get another Subaru if the last one did what you needed. You can't be them for a small SUV.
Based on a single experience, I'd steer clear of the Lincoln MKX.
It liked the dealership's service bay more than it liked our garage.
My company leases new crossover SUVS every two years for us. We pick what we want from a list, so I've lived with six different SUVS in the past twelve years.

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe - B Pretty outstanding vehicle, believe it or not. Nothing went wrong in the 60,000 + miles I used it. Quiet and great ride.
2012 Toyota Rav 4 - B- Better mileage than the Hyundai, but less comfortable. Ride quality the same. Two trips to the shop, for a bad O2 sensor and transmission issue that ended up being an electronic thing. 56,000 miles
2014 Honda CR-V - A- Beat the Toyota and Hyundai all around. Same mileage as Hyundai, roomier than the Toyota or Hyundai. Ride quality better than both as well. No issues, about 60K miles.
2016 Ford Escape - D Junk. 3 or 4 shop trips in 60K miles, rattled a lot by the time the lease was up. Cheap car.
2018 Nissan Rogue - C+ I rank it a little below Toyota level in comfort, good ride quality, good mileage comparable to RAV4. One issue, ABS system alarmed, was out of commission for almost a week. Other than that, solid vehicle
2020 Ford Edge - A Current ride, only about 24K on it. No issues so far, roomy, comfy, best ride. My favorite of the bunch.
Originally Posted by 16bore

Sound advice
Rav 4 or Highlander
Toyota or Honda for sure.

We got a 16 Pilot that my wife really likes. Toyota’s equivalent Highlander would be a great pick also.
Originally Posted by 16bore

Lexus is Toyota's luxury brand, I'm thinking that most know that....the Toyotas are excellent, but everything about the Lexus is just nicer.
My boss has a 4-Runner, his wife a Highlander. He said he’d never admit it to her, but he likes driving hers better.
Nissan Xterra.
I have a 2013 and we just love it. The last suv built on a truck chassis. Has a "substantial", solid ride like a pick-up. Not the best for gas mileage, however, at 17mpg.

My son's girlfriend, a struggling graduate student, has over 350,000 miles on her Rav4, so that's a more economical possibility.
I'd be looking at an Explorer or Pilot.
Another Subaru. Just made a 3700 mile round trip last week in our 2017 Outback. Ran into a blizzard from Albuquerque to past Amarillo. It handled all of it with no issues. I can't say that for the big commercial trucks, must have seen 30 or more in the ditch or crashed.
Honda Crosstour.
The cr-v and Rav-4 are not in the same class as the Subaru. They are plastic and tinny with lots of road noise.
Get her another Subaru look at insurance rates and safety, whatever you buy do a simple Google search 2015 Subaru, Toyota problems they all have problem years. Late model RAV,s have bad weather control issues. The Subaru beats them all in bad weather for traction control, but we only have 7 months of winter.
The wife had a CRV honda,2014, never any problems. But you need ear plugs on the highway! Worse than a Jeep with a rag top. She went with a Subaru this time! I told her if girls start hitting on her, bring them over! She didn't think that was funny!
Originally Posted by broomd
Lexus RX 350, or the slightly smaller NX 200t for your comparison/needs.... .."buy"...if that isn't already a given.

This ^^^^

In my experience, 8-10 year old Lexus RX-350s that have ~100k miles and have been well maintained (this is important) are absolute bargains.
I have nothing against Subaru, other than a dealer of theirs screwed me and Subaru of America was absolutely no help. This around 2001 with me having owned a Subaru since 1977. They lost a loyal customer.

Now, I have nothing against Toyota. The '16 Rav-4 we got for the wife's car now has about 75K miles and the only thing we've had to do is have the oil changed and swap out the studded and regular tires spring and fall.

If I'd have found a Honda CR-V at that time, for the same price, same 0% loan, I might have gone that route as they are good cars too.

Long ago, I had a rental Hyundai Santa Fe. If the new ones are anything at all like that, worst comfort in a vehicle I've ever had and I'm only 5'8".

Good luck.
Originally Posted by achadwick
Originally Posted by broomd

This ^^^^

In my experience, 8-10 year old Lexus RX-350s that have ~100k miles and have been well maintained (this is important) are absolute bargains.

Yep, my wife's '08 AWD RX 350 was purchased four years ago within that criteria and it is simply a stunning ride. World class SUV. I really enjoy pushing the seat preset #1 and watching the seat, steering wheel and mirrors adjust to my 6'5'' frame from my wife's 5'1'' height. I slip right in ready to go.
Honda Pilot for the easy win. They are an ideal mid sized SUV.
I wouldn't have found this threat at a better time, I am in between buying a Toyota Venza or a Honda CrossTour.
Any dos and don'ts ? Experience would be appreciated.
Have had 2 Subarus. Both were a bit problematic, but easy to work on and frankly, had a ton of miles.
Last one I totaled when I T boned a car load of kids that pulled out in front of me. I was impressed with the way it handled the collision.

Wife drives a Pilot. It’s a good ride.

I’d go Honda or Toyota before I bought another Suby
Mt wife's 2019 Cherokee trailhawk has been great so far. It comes with a small lift, skid plates, AT tires, tow hooks, and has a transfer case with a real low range.

I used to swear I'd never own anything Chrysler or jeep and now we have the 2019 trailhawk, a 2019 ram 1500, and a 2021 pacifica. Although we bought them all new so we have the confidence of factory warranties and an extra warranty through Geico in case we keep them past the factory warranty. We didn't plan to keep the jeep long term but we may do so now.

I was always a GM and Toyota guy. I'd owned nothing other than GM and Toyotas for over 20 years until I bought the 2019 ram. It's been flawless so I tried the jeep which was also flawless which led us to the pacifica. I don't mis the cheap Toyota seats and interiors.

Bb
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Honda Pilot for the easy win. They are an ideal mid sized SUV.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^

We have driven Pilots for years. Have bought a new Pilot whenever a model change happens to upgrade safety features etc. Presently drive a 2016 which has been trouble free for 50K miles. It is a higher end model with leather seats etc and is a pleasure to drive; very comfortable and decent gas mileage too.
© 24hourcampfire