Home
Posted By: Oldman03 I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21
Doesn't save energy at my house. Instead of using lights for an hour or two at night, now I use lights for an hour or two in the morning.
My sleep pattern is still jacked up
Posted By: barm Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21
I hate it too. I would rather be on standard time. At the very least pick DST or standard and stick with it. It must be making some billionaire richer or we would have stopped doing this switch.
I love it.. The time in the evenings is priceless!!
Posted By: shaman Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21
There's an old Zen story about how the young initiate asked the Master: "How do you practice Zen?"

"When I'm hungry, I eat. When I'm tired, I sleep," he replied.

That's really all there is to it.

About 2014, my body got used to getting up at 0400 to go turkey hunting, and it never stopped. That means I end up going to bed early and waking up ridiculously early, but that's what my body's telling me to do. I do it. I tried to fight it at first, but I found out this was not to be. It's handy for hunting, and I've found it is handy for a lot of other things. I get most of my work done for the day before sunrise.

Eating? I'm diabetic. I found one of the best ways to deal with it was to do a strict routine of eating. I eat 3 meals a day with a day-to-day variation of only a few minutes. I eat when I'm hungry and my body pretty much picked that time.

EST? EDT? It doesn't really matter. Over the winter I've been going to bed around 7. After the time change, it moved to 8.
Up north, daylight savings keeps us from having civil
twilight at 3:30 AM during the summer. Sunrise would be 4:10 AM. It would be my preference to remain on DST year-round so its not pitch black by 4:40 PM in the winter. We have an 8 hour shift in daylight between the winter and summer solstice. 16 hours daylight in the summer, 8 hours in the winter. In Houston, the shift is 4 hours.
Posted By: tpcollins Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

And I don't have to get up so damn early for spring turkey hunting.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Doesn't save energy at my house. Instead of using lights for an hour or two at night, now I use lights for an hour or two in the morning.

Come on! Lighten up Francis!! 😁😁😁
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21
Originally Posted by dieselfitter

Try working nights about half the time, off and on for 40 years, while also having a family, traveling to ball games etc etc. whatever it is I have ain’t any sort of pattern. Almost 11 years after retiring, If I get 5 hours at a stretch, it’s a miracle.

Sorry, I know you’re not supposed to mix whines........
Posted By: hanco Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21
I don’t care for it either, let’s go on strike??
Pros and cons.....

Now I can get stuff done in daylight after I get home from work.

Plus riding a bicycle home through a rough area is safer in daylight. Dark mornings I don’t mind, all the thugs are still asleep.

OTOH when they set the clocks back in the Fall, I leave my watch on summer time, means I have an extra hour to work out before work.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21
I prefer DST.

I dont need light at 5AM but I can sure put it to good use in the evenings after work.

Getting to sleep an extra hour in Turkey season is a bonus too
It doesnt seem to effect me much. I been getting up at around 4:30-4:45 am for decades and I go to bed around 8:30-9 pretty much every night. I would prefer that the time didn't change. I dont have the kind of job were I have to be at the office at 8 and I don't have much going on outside in the evening.
Posted By: Redneck Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21
I love it. Wish they'd keep daylight savings time forever... Standard time sux - bigly..
Posted By: ttpoz Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21
I like DST. Wish they'd leave us on DST year 'round as I dislike the changes.
Posted By: hanco Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21
Originally Posted by ttpoz
I like DST. Wish they'd leave us on DST year 'round as I dislike the changes.

Yep. One way or the other.
Posted By: saskfox Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21
No DST here thank goodness
Posted By: hatari Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21
Originally Posted by Redneck
I love it. Wish they'd keep daylight savings time forever... Standard time sux - bigly..

+1
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Try working nights about half the time, off and on for 40 years, while also having a family, traveling to ball games etc etc. whatever it is I have ain’t any sort of pattern. Almost 11 years after retiring, If I get 5 hours at a stretch, it’s a miracle.

Sorry, I know you’re not supposed to mix whines........

Hahaha!
Posted By: JamesJr Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21
Being retired, and not having to punch anyone's clock but my own, I don't care one way or another. Either way, I still have to do my chores around the place.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21
I hate sunset at 4:00 more than DST.
Posted By: rost495 Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21

Try twice a year moving to Alaska and back. 3 hour to 4 hour time change just depending. Lots of other things way worse...
Posted By: horse1 Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21
I wish they'd move it ahead another hour in the fall. Give folks up North a little daylight after work.
Posted By: Riverc Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21
They need to pick one or the other and leave it that way.
Posted By: memtb Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21

I just wish they’d just leave it the hell alone......one way or the other, it doesn’t matter! memtb
I love it. I don't want daylight at 5am and darkness at 4:30. The one hour difference does have any effect on my sleep whatsoever.
Posted By: PatB Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21
Wish they'd split the difference then leave it alone !!!
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21
It is for the children.
Posted By: mathman Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21
I prefer the daylight hours after work hours.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

It's great for younger families. Folks have time to get outside after work.

Most of the grumps are my age and hate anything resembling change to their God given routines. Lighten up guys and let younger people with lives to live enjoy the extra hour of daylight after they get home.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: I hate daylight savings - 03/25/21
Seems the consensus is swinging towards lovin' the light in the evening.

I'm retired and no longer have to get up at 0530 or earlier. I can if I wish to...............but don't very often.

But, I'm already up in the evenings doing scheidt and really enjoy the extra light at dark. Having to stop yard work at 1600 or 1630 sucks.

Oldman, might we just suggest you sleep in an hour later to save money on those lights you're complaining about.
© 24hourcampfire