Home
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Oxycodone - 03/27/21
10/325 yay or nay ?
Posted By: Armednfree Re: Oxycodone - 03/27/21
For what?
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: Oxycodone - 03/27/21
Ouchy.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Oxycodone - 03/27/21
Took it for years in Pa. as needed for pain no problem. Moved to WV and the toothless hillbilly cuzzin' fuggers have abused it so much NOBODY gets it.
Posted By: DeadHead Re: Oxycodone - 03/27/21
Take it for more than a couple weeks and you’ll feel like [bleep] when you stop. It works well but be careful
My best fishing buddy said he gave you what? He said it is stronger than Vicodin.
I'm starting to feel it work for my back pain.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Oxycodone - 03/27/21
The good stuff
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Oxycodone - 03/27/21
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
10/325 yay or nay ?

I have no idea what that means.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Oxycodone - 03/27/21
That stuff will constipate a goose.
My Doc said since I don't drink that he would give me the top shelf stuff. lol
Posted By: dedity Re: Oxycodone - 03/27/21
yay

Just had 8 dental implants removed, my upper and lower gums filleted away from the bone, had some bone graft and leveled out some bone then had 13 new implants screwed in.

Oxy 10/325 is what I was given post surgery, That [bleep] is bad ass and kept me quite comfortable as long as I didn't miss a dose.
If used properly its awesome, if its used and abused yer in for some ruff times
Posted By: Potsy Re: Oxycodone - 03/27/21
Seen too many people I know screw their lives up royally with that [bleep].
Their back hurt too.
Be careful and understand, even if you take it as prescribed for any length of time, your body is addicted. At that point you can be sick for a few days, or go hunting for more.......
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Oxycodone - 03/27/21
Be careful with that stuff.

DF
Posted By: keith Re: Oxycodone - 03/27/21
Originally Posted by Bristoe
That stuff will constipate a goose.

Need to be constantly sipping on a glass of water, and taking stool softners.
Posted By: hanco Re: Oxycodone - 03/27/21
They gave me some when I broke my ankle, made me sick. I flushed it, made it with ibuprofen.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Oxycodone - 03/27/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
10/325 yay or nay ?

I have no idea what that means.

I think he means the pills that have 10mg oxycodone with 325mg Acetaminophen. That's what's called Percocet.

To say 10/325 oxycodone is incorrect.
Posted By: jjenkins Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
I have been taking 10 mg of oxy. Every other day for 7 years for migraine headaches. I'm now in hospice care and they want me to use morphine but I told them no.
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Sorry to hear that JJ....I don't feel so bad now. Best Wishes too you!
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
I took percocet after one of my back surgeries and within a couple minutes it felt like I was trying to walk in a canoe. Oxycodone after another back surgery and I never felt anything from them. After the last one I just took tylenol.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
I had surgery a couple of decades back and they sent me home with enough Percocet to kill an Elephant. I was hurting the first day and took a couple. The second day the pain was little more than a nuisance. The third day I got dressed and went on about my business. I may have taken 4 or 5 total over a 3 day period. The rest of the bottle sat in the medicine chest until I flushed them down the toilet.

Some doctors over prescribe that stuff.
Posted By: WMR Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
It is a rather potent opioid and can be good for short term use. It is quite strong, especially for someone not used to opioids. Your doctor would have taken this into account before recommending it for you. Sorry to hear you are in pain. Here’s wishing you a speedy recovery.
My understanding is that Percocet is generic for Oxycodone.
Posted By: mike7mm08 Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Good stuff. Don't know would ouch your nursing but you might not need that much. Might want to start with taking half. Or take half and couple hours later take the other half. No matter the dose for me after a couple hours pain relief is about the same. Just got a better initial buzz and pain relief with a higher dose. Everyone is different. I could easily just take as needed. Others need to stay on schedule and keep the pain at bay or it could take several doses to get back on track.
Posted By: DeadHead Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21

Percocet is oxycodone plus acetaminophen
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
From broken bones to gum grafts to abdominal surgery to migraines to kidney stones, I’ve never had to take narcotic painkillers more than 2 days in a row. After that, Tylenol or aspirin worked fine.

Does your back hurt the same every day? If not, take it only on the bad days.
And oxycodone is basically synthetic heroin
Originally Posted by DeadHead

Thanks.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
10/325 yay or nay ?

Straight 10's are the best
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Ouchy.

Super effective, but there are risks like stopping your breathing while you sleep and killing you.
Posted By: jpb Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21

Not correct, but quite understandable!

Oxycodone
is a modified (or semi-synthetic, some would say) opiate drug.

Percocet is the name brand of a drug that contains acetaminophen and Oxycodone.

John
Posted By: persiandog Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
been in pain for 2 weeks , begged my doctor and emergency room PA for any pain killers. does anyone have any good mexican heroin?
I better stay off Gunbroker tonight. lol
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
I think I'd rather take advil and tough out the pain...than risk blowing some guy in an alley in 6 months after getting addicted. Tramadol is a safer alternative....
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
I better stay off Gunbroker tonight. lol

It effects people different, like most drugs, some it knocks them out, others it winds them up. I’m thinking it effects you like me. Don’t drink, you’ll buy something on GB.
Jeeezus. lol
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I think I'd rather take advil and tough out the pain...than risk blowing some guy in an alley in 6 months after getting addicted. Tramadol is a safer alternative....

Had to take it for awhile, no issue stopping, some can handle it, some can’t.
Posted By: victoro Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Originally Posted by hanco
They gave me some when I broke my ankle, made me sick. I flushed it, made it with ibuprofen.

NEVER flush drugs down the toilet! Water treatment plants can't remove drugs and it ends up in our water . Put them in your trash so it ends up in a sanitary landfill.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Originally Posted by persiandog
been in pain for 2 weeks , begged my doctor and emergency room PA for any pain killers. does anyone have any good mexican heroin?

Buy a 5lb bag of unwashed poppy seeds, if you can still get them off amazon. boil some water with lemon juice then add a cup of seeds and let it seep. the opium will dissolve off the seeds then you can drink it, good for about 12 hrs or so.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
suck up the pain for a while and bogart them things until you feel better. 2 with some ginnie pooo can make for a nice evening. or so i heard. allegedly.

but ya, as the other guy said, you could end up blowing derelicts for pill money in 6 months. allegedly.
Originally Posted by rem141r
suck up the pain for a while and bogart them things until you feel better. 2 with some ginnie pooo can make for a nice evening. or so i heard. allegedly.

but ya, as the other guy said, you could end up blowing derelicts for pill money in 6 months. allegedly.

Lmao
None of the prescription pain medications with synthetic codeine give me any pain relief. I can remember when you could by cough syrup with codeine without a prescription that also worked great for pain relief. I'd prefer morphine for pain though.
10/325 yay or nay ?

I've never a had a 10/325 prescription for pain even when I had herniated discs. The 5/325's I got did nothing for the pain but I got really constipated.
Originally Posted by victoro
None of the prescription pain medications with synthetic codeine give me any pain relief. I can remember when you could by cough syrup with codeine without a prescription that also worked great for pain relief. I'd prefer morphine for pain though.

My dad quit drinking when I was a kid. But occasionally he would "cheat" a bit with a bottle of Terpin Hydrate and Codeine cough elixir,...which was available over the counter back then. I recall that it made him a bit jocular.

He'd give me a big tablespoon of it when I was croupy,.....which would cure my cough and cause me to snooze off to nap land for a good while. Sometimes I didn't have to cough but once to merit getting a dose,...especially on those days when I was running around being loud and getting on his nerves.

I recall that it was very bitter stuff.
My Mom would say, "Don't give him that stuff".

The old man would say, "It'll be aw-ite".
"Terpin Hydrate and Codeine cough elixir"

That was some great stuff and it also had a lot of alcohol in it. I don't remember it being bitter but it had a very distinct taste. I drank a bunch of it one time because I had a real painful sore throat and my out of town girlfriend was coming to town for a visit. That night we were having sex and I was going much longer than usual. She got upset because she though she was going something wrong (she wasn't). I told that I had drank a lot real strong cough syrup and that my skin was literally numb. I could touch my forehead and not feel a thing. Everything worked out great and the next time she came to visit she said "Do you have anymore of that cough syrup?"
Posted By: Showdog75 Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21

This is not true. Tramadol will lure you into a false sense of security.
Originally Posted by victoro
10/325 yay or nay ?

I've never a had a 10/325 prescription for pain even when I had herniated discs. The 5/325's I got did nothing for the pain but I got really constipated.

Eat more Mexican food or Waffle House. Tell them to give you the first waffle off the iron after cleaning, you won't be constipated anymore.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Be very careful with it I've had it on and off for various surgeries and stuff and if you take it everyday for more than a few weeks your body becomes physically dependent. It can be absolute hell coming off of it once dependent. At least a week of unrelenting misery and then weeks of anxiousness and feeling not right. I've been though it a few times and it's horrible.

It's very helpful when in pain but only use it when really needed and stop when your pain is tolerable. Abusing it will likely ruin your life. Using it correctly and carefully can save your life. A good and bad to everything. Untreated pain is terrible too so just be careful with it.

Bb
Posted By: slumlord Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Took one today

Before: walked around this morning like a caveman

2 hours After 10mg-oxyco: swapped car batteries in two cars, fixed two flat truck tires, drained, ‘bucketed’, scrubbed inside/out 550 gallon Viking hot tub, refilled, and pressured washed the deck.

Now its wearing off, walking around like a caveman again.

Time for dinner: peanut butter, homemade concord grape jelly sammich. With the crusts left on. I let my nutts hang
Posted By: shootem Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21

If you have legitimate chronic pain, documentable source(s), there is no moral need to suffer. Ask your primary care physician for a pain clinic referral. Family practice just isn’t set up for the documentation requirements for long term pain management involving opioids. One of the biggest problems now is the dog & pony show state politicians deploy as part of their shell game. Here in NC the state guberment now has limited the amount of opioids a legitimate pain clinic patient can be prescribed by the physician in charge. Right. Politicos have now declared themselves doctors. So degenerative disc disease? Oop. Can’t have you in danger of addiction. You’ll just have to get by on what we say is enough. Cancer? Surgeries, radiation etc required for treatment. Well sure you hurt, but you can manage. We sure don’t want you addicted. And we know better than some doctor. All in the name of keeping us safe. Sound familiar? Bastids in the federal and state govts are the biggest bribe takers going. Cartel money filling the pockets of the Kaliforikator politicians. Heroin, Fentanyl & meth pouring across the border THEY won’t shut down. Wonder why? Chinese freighters bringing in tons of raw material to Mexico’s west coast. Who gets the biggest cut? But politicians talk a good lie on watching out for our health when it comes to prescribed medications from a licensed and over regulated physician. Nothing I hate more than the thought of politicians playing doctor and watching out for me. But they do. Then they demonize the legitimate patient and legitimate doctor.............and leave the back door open for their friends.

Some other comments; 10/325 vs straight oxy? Tylenol can eat your liver if you try to use it for pain it can’t reach. Plenty of over medications on Tylenol. But appropriate amounts can act as a booster to enhance the oxy and reduce the overall requirement. Again, a doctor’s call. Going apneic? Deadly apneic? It’ll take a lot of prescribed medication. Read the directions. Do what the doc says. Tramadol? If tramadol makes it stop, you sure as hell don’t need oxy. Over prescribing? Some do, no doubt. But I’ll bet good money there’s more over prescribing of Xanax and Valium to politicians than oxy to people in legitimate chronic pain. Of course politicians know best. Rant over. If you need it get a good pain management doc that can help you. Don’t make it tough on the family doc who can get a lot of pressure because he was trying to help you by doing somebody else’s specialty.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Get mean as fugg on that schit.
Pseudoephedrine also.

#homiestaysrightthefuggawayfromboth
I am disciplined about it.

I have lots of 5,10s straight oxy squirreled away. I don’t get all stupid and take them for sandy mangina pain or trips to the moon.

Every time they run a camera up my dick to scan my kidney, I get a 5 day supply. You get something the size of a magic marker ran up your pisser all the way to your kidney, that’s my happy pill. Sheeeewe buddy !!! eek
Try to save the other 2 or 3 day’s worth and stock piling for big events like digging up the septic tank or cutting a cord of firewood. 👍👏🏻
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Never did much for me that 800mg of Ibuprofen couldn't do as well or better.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Stuff will mess you up... like an itch you can't scratch until you get more.

Don't go there!
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Originally Posted by jjenkins
I have been taking 10 mg of oxy. Every other day for 7 years for migraine headaches. I'm now in hospice care and they want me to use morphine but I told them no.

Morphine is a "clean" drug. If you need it....take it
Originally Posted by GeoW
Stuff will mess you up... like an itch you can't scratch until you get more.

Don't go there!

You don’t know WTF you’re taking about.
Originally Posted by slumlord

I have lots of 5,10s straight oxy squirreled away. I don’t get all stupid and take them for sandy mangina pain or trips to the moon.

Every time they run a camera up my dick to scan my kidney, I get a 5 day supply. You get something the size of a magic marker ran up your pisser all the way to your kidney, that’s my happy pill. Sheeeewe buddy !!! eek
Try to save the other 2 or 3 day’s worth and stock piling for big events like digging up the septic tank or cutting a cord of firewood. 👍👏🏻

300 rounds of 6.5 creedmoor
pills for ammo !! hehehe
Close

Swede and 6.5 x 284

lol
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
When you are in really severe pain, you don't GAF what it takes to feel better. Good luck with that stuff. It will f'k up your life and everyone's around you if you're not careful.
You get something the size of a magic marker ran up your pisser

I been puckered since I read this like 20 minutes ago. Gonna need a whole handful of them things to get over the thought...
pills for ammo !! hehehe

Chit....4 pm's.....lol
Posted By: justsaymoe Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Pharmacist here -
Start with 1/2 tablet
Stretch the interval
The pain will not go away, just the edge taken off.
Consume fiber.
Taper off ASAP.
Originally Posted by Esox357

Explain please
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
the times I've had to take opiates, I've never had a problem with them.
I'm looking for Poppy seeds.....don't want to blow a bum in a alley. lol
Posted By: 14idaho Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Back injury in 2008 in Fallujah working with KBR and DOD. Put me on a civilian flight home with Vicodin. Cage put in back and subscribed 7.5/325 hydrocodone. Several months in did drug test and didn't have any in my system. Read me the riot act and gave me information about overdosing. They figured I would eventually over dose. Been on it ever since and only take it when I'm really hurting. Three times I " failed" the test, none in my system. Only effect I can see is mild constipation.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Originally Posted by justsaymoe

Explain please

More drugs should be made like it. Made by Johnson and Johnson who make Tylenol. The body processes it very well and it leaves the body. No residual per se. Easy on kidneys not a big concern for hospice patients but is a benefit. Can be dripped on tongue or given in IV. Its a common used drug for hospice and pain.
I read somewhere that Morphine is still the best thing for severe pain.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Take it as directed and if the pain is not that severe stop.

I don't understand folks that think that taking meds for a short time turn one into a junkie.

I have been taking ultram for almost 20 years and have not had a high from it.

Have not been constipated or had any other problems.

I do stop taking it from time to time just to see if i am taking it for the pain or just because i have had them for a long time.

Pain wins after 3 or 4 days.

I still function but i am much slower in my walking and don't do much in a day.

I understand if they make you ill or give you fits but there are folks that have used them for years and are still alive and able to take a [bleep].
Posted By: RAS Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Avoid all opiates.

I don’t drink at all or use weed, but I would do both of those before using opiates.

Many normal, productive people have had their lives destroyed by opiates. I know booze and other drugs are bad, but opiates can do much greater damage.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Great pain killers for 2 to 3 days then stop. Addictive as candy. Very bad for long term use. Great in medical kit for pain. Wish I had a bottle of them.
Let's be honest, Alcohol has ruined more families than everything put together.
Posted By: Phillip_Nesmith Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
It's an excellent painkiller, but even if I had a prescription I would avoid it if possible as it makes me itch furiously. Taking a big big dose of benedryl along with the oxycodone or hydrocodone helps some but nowhere near enough, making me weigh whether or not the pain is worse than the itch that's certain.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
It's a yay.
Posted By: cruzerbotz Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Hydrocodone is my pain drug of choice. Works well on pain. Only use it for major things like knee replacement. Like others, after the first couple of days, switch to Tylenol and take the hard stuff every third or fourth night. Can't do oxycontin. Had one pill once right after knee replacement and it made me sick as a dog. The doctor's choice of pain killer last year for a knee retread was dilaudid. Have all of them and the Tramadol in the med cabinet now. With my first knee replacement I took the hydrocodone for about a week. Decided to stop on Thursday night. Felt weird all day on Friday and told my wife when I got home. She said yeah, that was withdrawal. She had been an addictions nurse.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
10/325 yay or nay ?

I took those for years, because of Osteoarthritis. When I got the hip replaced, I no longer needed them and just stopped using them. For me, they were a good choice, did their job, and I had no ill effects.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Was prescribed 5/325 when I had my knees replaced. Took the edge off. Stopped taking it when no longer needed. Don't care if I ever take it again. Didn't feel the least bit addicted, and I took it for several months.

Ron
Posted By: JeffP Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
I read somewhere that Morphine is still the best thing for severe pain.

Every body is different. people process drugs differently. It doesn’t sound like you are going to be on them long so don’t fret it. Follow your Dr’s script not the internet.

Anyone that is on long term pain medicine and not getting good relief. Ask your Dr to do the DNA test to see which drugs will work best for you. Worth the time.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Took it for years in Pa. as needed for pain no problem. Moved to WV and the toothless hillbilly cuzzin' fuggers have abused it so much NOBODY gets it.

Was reading a NatGeo article in the docs office which lead to a cvonversation
on opiates with the PA. He said thery have been opiate free for several
years. None on site, no prescriptions written for them. Any serious
pain patients get referred to a clinic.

Have been prescribed Percocet after several procedures.
I never follow their advise. 800mg Ibu's are a frequent friend
for joint pain and other inflammation issues. They step up and take
a run before the narcotics are tried. If they fail, then we go
Hillbilly Junkie(prescription type). Never took more than 2 of them.

Do use the narcotics cough syrup though.

Anything like this stuff whacks my wife out.
They gave her a mild Valume for an MRI. Serious La-La land!

Personally never noticed any effects from any of it.

But it scares the schidt out of me.

We don't even have alleys, so I sure don't want to end up working the
glory hole at the truckstop.
Posted By: eric1186 Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21

I don’t know your job situation, but relief is just over the Oregon border.
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21

I thought yer 'ol lady did those jobs?
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs

I'm guessing it's only while she's cooking he steps in for a few. Woman has got to cook wtf are you thinking. Lol
Posted By: battue Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Always interesting to read the campfire Doogie Howser, MD outtakes.....
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs

Sometimes I have to help, a little. For optimization purposes. Women need guidance.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Several years ago my lower colon and the outlet thereof were in a mess. The best colo-rectal doc around took one look and said you have to have surgery this week. The pain in the aftermath was horrible and unbelievable. The hydrocodone he prescribed did nothing. I survived the next 2 or 3 days by using some left over oxycodone washed down with Pabst Blue Ribbon. Didn't use but 5 or 6 of them and realized I was playing with dynamite and then I toughed it out with over the counter stuff. I had a cousin that got addicted to opioids and also a good friend who is now 68 and a hopeless addict. So I knew to get away before I got in trouble.
Hastings, I think that’s really the crux of it - awareness of where it could lead. If used responsibly, and only when nothing else will do, you can get away with it. I think most believe “well, the doc gave them to me so it’s OK”.

Years back I got a script for Valium while I was in the throes of a marriage breakdown. When I took it to the pharmacy the pharmacist said “if you take these as directed (3x/day) you will be addicted within 2 weeks”. I heeded that advice and only took one/day, right before I got home and had to deal with the crazy biotch. Never developed a problem. Got rid of the biotch and got rid of the Valium, too.
Have to wonder where the pharmacist came up with their verifiable references. Amazing that millions plus have take valium up to three times daily for short periods of time and did not become addicted.

The role of the pharmacist is to advise his customers on potential side effects. Not make absolute diagnosis based on limited knowledge of the patients complete medical history. In this case his knowledge of the patients past addictive or non addictive history. Further did the prescription indicate scheduled three times daily or as needed three times daily.

In addition, if he/she had any reservations re appropriate dosing the first consultation should have been with the prescribing MD. Rather than going straight to causing the patient what may be undo concerns, in that three times daily Valium falls well within accepted and established guidelines,

Someone is playing Doogie....

I disagree. The pharmacist’s job is to understand pharmacology. The doctor’s job is to treat the patient’s symptoms.

As it happens, I have an extensive family history of addiction and the doc was well aware of it, given that he treated my entire family over 40+ years.

I’m not saying the doctor was wrong but the pharmacist was right to give fair warning.
Pharmacology is only part of the pharmacists professional responsibility. And in this case was in error to state you would be unquestionably addicted within two weeks.

Fair warning is different than your statement he unequivocally stated you would be addicted within two weeks...

Their professional responsibility would be to state the potential of addiction, to advise not to operate machinery or consume alcohol while on valium. Not to say you WILL become addicted within 2 weeks of short term use.

Addition: And the accepted medical guideline-physician and pharmacist-re Valium and addiction.... is with prolonged usage.
I have been on a legacy script of Tylenol 3 since 2012. Some days I take 2. Somedays 1....sometimes I go for a week and don’t take any. Sometimes I go for 6 months and don’t take any. Then, after not filling the script for a few months, I start back and all my docs get all stupid about the “blah blah blah, opiates crap”

Now, that being said, tylenol3 is pretty benign.

I think people get addicted to stuff because have they have a lobe in their brain for such things, like gambling or chronic masturbation or like a female has for shopping.

I don’t have the luxury of being to take Aleve or naprox or any NSAIDs.

I have a bottle with about 350-400 xanax tablets. Might take one a month. I didn’t ask for it, it came with a battery of meds after my transplant, I think because I asked too many questions at my appts.
I’m not addicted to that. It’s in a cabinet for the taking. Supposedly it’s very habit forming. Hmmmph!! Whatever, maybe for some string bean meth head. IDK.

Some dead heads would lose their chit over the stuff I have pharmwise just sitting idle. No I won’t flush it donate it to the “Policeman’s Ball” either.
Battue,

You are a pharmacist?
I think. Or retired as one?
Posted By: akasparky Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21

Sometimes I have to help, a little. For optimization purposes. Women need guidance.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Battue,

You are a pharmacist?

Yes...Still working 3 days a week on average, Currently in a hospital setting...

The path to addiction is one that takes many different routes...One size doesn't fit all. Have seen patients on enough opiates to kill the proverbial horse and once they were no longer needed had little issues. Others needed intervention.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Most heroin addicts these days didn't just wake up one day and jab a needle in their arm. It started with pain pills. The pain pills ran out...and heroin was cheaper and easier to find. This is well documented.
I have been on a legacy script of Tylenol 3 since 2012. Some days I take 2. Somedays 1....sometimes I go for a week and don’t take any. Sometimes I go for 6 months and don’t take any. Then, after not filling the script for a few months, I start back and all my docs get all stupid about the “blah blah blah, opiates crap”

Now, that being said, tylenol3 is pretty benign.

I think people get addicted to stuff because have they have a lobe in their brain for such things, like gambling or chronic masturbation or like a female has for shopping.

I don’t have the luxury of being to take Aleve or naprox or any NSAIDs.

I have a bottle with about 350-400 xanax tablets. Might take one a month. I didn’t ask for it, it came with a battery of meds after my transplant, I think because I asked too many questions at my appts.
I’m not addicted to that. It’s in a cabinet for the taking. Supposedly it’s very habit forming. Hmmmph!! Whatever, maybe for some string bean meth head. IDK.

Some dead heads would lose their chit over the stuff I have pharmwise just sitting idle. No I won’t flush it donate it to the “Policeman’s Ball” either.

Slumlord pretty much has it figured out..The brain lobe has to do with dopamine, which is released when we get something that makes us feel good...Some end up relying on drugs for their dopamine fix. If you haven't reached the point where you need drugs for your dopamine fix...there is usually little consequences of short term usage.

And for most, the relief of pain is enough of a dopamine fix for them to not become addicted and to go without...

Addition: And some will fear the possible return of pain that no longer exists....and the drug gives them their dopamine fix of psychologically thinking they are keeping the pain away. And since most of the opiates in someway alter our mental state towards pleasure, in and of themselves they can become the fix...Getting high is short term pleasure...

.Many paths...
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
A true wonder drug when pain is intense. Was prescribed it numerous times for such things as knee surgery, herniated disks, when I had 3 disks in my neck replaced, broke my scapula in three places, etc etc.
Like anything else..............use it in moderation and only use it when its needed. Its sad so many junkies has made it almost impossible to get from a Doctor anymore.
Posted By: ackleydave Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Been dealing with some stuff for a couple of months and so far I’ve been prescribed Tramidol then Hydracodone and now Gabapentin. None seem to really work for me. I take extended release Tylenol that seems to work the best but am going to stop soon because of the long term side effects. I hate to take pills in general so stopping is easy except for what to use for the pain now. Took Naprosyn for 2 years while I had 4 knee surgeries and it worked well. Dave
Most heroin addicts these days didn't just wake up one day and jab a needle in their arm. It started with pain pills. The pain pills ran out...and heroin was cheaper and easier to find. This is well documented.

that's why i am skipping the pills.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Originally Posted by DeadHead

Thanks.

Have some food in your stomach, don’t take any more acetaminophen (Tylenol), and no alcohol.

Bad juju for your liver.
Posted By: MadDog4298 Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Front tooth started throbbing and after a day of it and no sleep I was going to knock myself out with a hammer it was hurting so bad. It was late on a Saturday and my wife called our dentist at home and he said he could prescribe a few Vicodin to get me to Monday and then get in and get an X-ray. She went and picked the script up at Walgreens and the tooth quit hurting. Monday I went in and had an X-ray done and it ended up being a sinus infection putting pressure on the roots of my tooth. That pain medicine is a miracle drug if there ever was one. I took Tylenol and aleive before I took the Vicodin and they wouldn’t touch the pain. I will take it again if I ever get in that much pain.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Getting a new knee Wednesday, so I think Ill be taking oxy on Thursday. I heard you only get a limited amount, like 10 pills.
I had cancer and it toasted my kidneys, so I can't take ibuprofen, etc, so I'll just suffer a bit when I run out. Never had a new knee so I don't know what to expect as far as pain.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Sometimes I take 800mg of Ibuprofen with a 500mg Tylenol. My other medication is Norco 10/325 Most of the time when I use this med. I break them in half.
Be smart when taking these medications.

PS: My Doctor said it was fine to mix the Tylenol and Ibuprofen. But, not to do it often.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
They gave those right after the hip surgery. Took them the day I went home and never since. Felt like a zombie on that $hit. Managing the pain with Tylenol now.
Originally Posted by battue
Battue,

You are a pharmacist?

Yes...Still working 3 days a week on average, Currently in a hospital setting...

The path to addiction is one that takes many different routes...One size doesn't fit all. Have seen patients on enough opiates to kill the proverbial horse and once they were no longer needed had little issues. Others needed intervention.

I agree with this. But my point is that the pharmacist’s job is to counsel about potential side-effects. As I said, too many people simply take them because the doctor told them to.

When I started on Flomax the pharmacist told me about possible complications if I took Viagra. It’s all part of the same spectrum of counselling.
Post anesthesia confusion is not uncommon, especially as we age. Especially since the anesthesia short circuited some brain functions. Combined with the fact surgical interventions can cause delayed cognitive issues...Often the zombie response after surgery is cumulative based on a combination of factors. Post surgical pain medications being only one....
Posted By: Windfall Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Dangerous stuff. I nearly took out my older fishing buddy with one of those. We were on a remote fly-in Canada fishing trip and my buddy fell and broke some ribs. Aspirin and the over the counter stuff wasn't doing anything for the pain. I lost my first wife to cancer and I had some of her left over oxy in my first aid kit. I gave my buddy one tiny little white pill. Holy smokes it put him out for two days and worried me a whole bunch. I told my MD sister about that and said that it was really little, only 40 mg. She about tore my head off because come to find out, that is a mega dose. Everything left over went in the drug take back box after that.
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Battue,

You are a pharmacist?

I agree with this. But my point is that the pharmacist’s job is to counsel about potential side-effects. As I said, too many people simply take them because the doctor told them to.

When I started on Flomax the pharmacist told me about possible complications if I took Viagra. It’s all part of the same spectrum of counselling.

My issue was with your quotation of the pharmacist: “if you take these as directed (3x/day) you will be addicted within 2 weeks”. Not maybe, but "Will" and your specific posting of what was said. If in fact the pharmacist did say the same, it is not counseling, or piss poor at best in that it has no bearing in facts or sound medical practice. (Corrected sentence)
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
@OP ... Be careful .... My wife did chemical dependency (addiction) counseling full time for 8 years. She regularly had clients who started down the slippery slope to addiction by taking opioids for legitimate pain management needs. Then, ended up with long term addictions. And for certain people, Oxy can be HIGHLY addictive with the first few doses... Wish you the best in your recovery / course of treatment. But be careful...
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Originally Posted by shootem

If you have legitimate chronic pain, documentable source(s), there is no moral need to suffer. Ask your primary care physician for a pain clinic referral. Family practice just isn’t set up for the documentation requirements for long term pain management involving opioids. One of the biggest problems now is the dog & pony show state politicians deploy as part of their shell game. Here in NC the state guberment now has limited the amount of opioids a legitimate pain clinic patient can be prescribed by the physician in charge. Right. Politicos have now declared themselves doctors. So degenerative disc disease? Oop. Can’t have you in danger of addiction. You’ll just have to get by on what we say is enough. Cancer? Surgeries, radiation etc required for treatment. Well sure you hurt, but you can manage. We sure don’t want you addicted. And we know better than some doctor. All in the name of keeping us safe. Sound familiar? Bastids in the federal and state govts are the biggest bribe takers going. Cartel money filling the pockets of the Kaliforikator politicians. Heroin, Fentanyl & meth pouring across the border THEY won’t shut down. Wonder why? Chinese freighters bringing in tons of raw material to Mexico’s west coast. Who gets the biggest cut? But politicians talk a good lie on watching out for our health when it comes to prescribed medications from a licensed and over regulated physician. Nothing I hate more than the thought of politicians playing doctor and watching out for me. But they do. Then they demonize the legitimate patient and legitimate doctor.............and leave the back door open for their friends.

Some other comments; 10/325 vs straight oxy? Tylenol can eat your liver if you try to use it for pain it can’t reach. Plenty of over medications on Tylenol. But appropriate amounts can act as a booster to enhance the oxy and reduce the overall requirement. Again, a doctor’s call. Going apneic? Deadly apneic? It’ll take a lot of prescribed medication. Read the directions. Do what the doc says. Tramadol? If tramadol makes it stop, you sure as hell don’t need oxy. Over prescribing? Some do, no doubt. But I’ll bet good money there’s more over prescribing of Xanax and Valium to politicians than oxy to people in legitimate chronic pain. Of course politicians know best. Rant over. If you need it get a good pain management doc that can help you. Don’t make it tough on the family doc who can get a lot of pressure because he was trying to help you by doing somebody else’s specialty.

Speaking from memory here so will make only a few generalizations. When ever the gov’t gets involved, it’s surgery with an axe. I remember a study coming out some time ago about prescribed opioid deaths in the US and their stats. It was later reported that somehow that study and it’s stats included street overdose deaths due to illegal fentanyl. Well...

Anyway for physicians over-prescribing opioids, the remedy could have been much more precise with pharmacy and state medical societies collaboratively sounding the alarm and disciplining individual phys’s.

But no, So now every physician is reticent to prescribe opioids even in circumstances where they are appropriate including surgeons. Even so-called pain clinics will reach for counseling or psych referrals first. It has been established that about 10% of chronic pain patients, almost all older, and who are often on anticoagulants and for which NSAIDs are therefore contraindicated, opioids of some kind, to some degree are the only answer.

This populations is now neglected often left to go there own way. There are also acute injuries, like burns — very painful — that are left grossly untreated as to pain. I’ve seen it.

And as mentioned above, illegal opioids meanwhile stream across the border.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Probably taken a total of 3 tablets as leaving a facility after a minor surgery (foot, cataract, dental). Still have the prescribed bottles in the bathroom medicine cabinet. Could not sense they did a thing for me or my perception of pain, and never had an inclination to take another. I think there might be some genetic aspects affecting our individual responses to a variety of potentially habit forming substances. Seems some jump fall for every item and others have no such desires at all.

I think there is definitely a genetic aspect.
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by shootem

Speaking from memory here so will make only a few generalizations. When ever the gov’t gets involved, it’s surgery with an axe. I remember a study coming out some time ago about prescribed opioid deaths in the US and their stats. It was later reported that somehow that study and it’s stats included street overdose deaths due to illegal fentanyl. Well...

Anyway for physicians over-prescribing opioids, the remedy could have been much more precise with pharmacy and state medical societies collaboratively sounding the alarm and disciplining individual phys’s.

But no, So now every physician is reticent to prescribe opioids even in circumstances where they are appropriate including surgeons. Even so-called pain clinics will reach for counseling or psych referrals first. It has been established that about 10% of chronic pain patients, almost all older, and who are often on anticoagulants and for which NSAIDs are therefore contraindicated, opioids of some kind, to some degree are the only answer.

This populations is now neglected often left to go there own way. There are also acute injuries, like burns — very painful — that are left grossly untreated as to pain. I’ve seen it.

And as mentioned above, illegal opioids meanwhile stream across the border.

Two posts that are worth reading a couple times...
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Never did much for me that 800mg of Ibuprofen couldn't do as well or better.

another thing to try is ibuprofen (recommended amount) and acetaminophen (recommended amount) at the same time.

I have been told it is around 70% of the pain relief of an opiate.

You don't overtax your system, because Advil is hard on kidneys, and Tylenol is hard on your liver (in larger than recommended doses)

As usual, think long and hard about taking medical advice ( or reloading advice) from strangers on the internet.

YMMV
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Here’s more reading entertainment on the political fücking Americans received from politicians over opioids.

🦫

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ngrats-you-re-a-drug-addict#Post15493793
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Originally Posted by Terryk
Getting a new knee Wednesday, so I think Ill be taking oxy on Thursday. I heard you only get a limited amount, like 10 pills.
I had cancer and it toasted my kidneys, so I can't take ibuprofen, etc, so I'll just suffer a bit when I run out. Never had a new knee so I don't know what to expect as far as pain.

Expect something really bad. It feels better after 90 days.
Originally Posted by ackleydave
Been dealing with some stuff for a couple of months and so far I’ve been prescribed Tramidol then Hydracodone and now Gabapentin. None seem to really work for me. I take extended release Tylenol that seems to work the best but am going to stop soon because of the long term side effects. I hate to take pills in general so stopping is easy except for what to use for the pain now. Took Naprosyn for 2 years while I had 4 knee surgeries and it worked well. Dave

I'm taking gabapentin as well as oxycodone for a herniated L5. I'm 46 and I see the best back surgion in my parts. He said don't let the prednisone and epidurals put to much weight on and manage my pain for the next 10-15 years then consider surgery. My work is physical and my personal life is physical so surgery at my age is not in the cards. I get 45 5/325 oxycodone a month and take them as needed. Sometimes I take one a day for weeks once in a blue moon I take two(rarely) and quite often I go days with nothing. While I believe physical addiction is real I truly believe it's the person. Only thing I've been guilty of being addicted to is mexican food and women. Addiction is between your ears but again we're all different and I consider myself lucky. With everything said gabapentin helps me more than the oxy by far. Nagging nerve pain is brutal, think slow torture.

And the ever vaunted Tylenol used by itself against any pain, acute or chronic, moderate to severe is much akin to trying to mortar a 170-gr from your 30/30 into that 600 yard bull.

And the ever vaunted Tylenol used by itself against any pain, acute or chronic, moderate to severe is much akin to trying to mortar a 170-gr from your 30/30 into that 600 yard bull.

The IV formulation has merits....

Addition: For the short term post surgery...but is it better than opioids for short term post...Evidence says no, and the expense is significantly greater.
It’s hard for me to get any real medication for pain, chronic pain. Because of so many shîtbyrds in my state (Tn) the docs are all under a microscope.

I go to a pain mgt specialist and they are with the big hospital. It more of a procedural practice vs a pharamcological dispensary.

My guy is more into electro nerve blocks/ablations instead of pills.

2 weeks ago I let them do a branch medial nerve ablation on my sacral and first few lumbar. Im in more pain now than before the procedure. Sitting here right on a TENS unit.

I got big giant polycystic kidneys jammed all up in my guts pushing on several other buttons causing me havoc. 15 years of roofing and ladders has gotten the better part of my knees and back.

Can’t get any real pain meds from real docs or even get them to try to hear me/understand. Ask for real meds like hydocodone or oxy and youre instantly accused of being a fisher, doctor shopper, smurfer, etc

Gapapentin was strange, I got zero relief and zero side effects from it. A nothing pill for my physiologically.

I have ration and parcel out a few oxys from left over procedures. Mostly just suck it and go down the road, grit your teeth.
Hot tubs, hot wraps, heating pads, braces ice, stretching. Not much help.

That’s another thing. Grinding bone to bone orthopedic issues and the first docs want to do is to send you to “physical therapy”
SMH
Sorry Slum, about you being in more pain than you were before.

God Bless Politicians, Karen Parents, and Doc’s who don’t know jack-shít.

🦫
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Originally Posted by Showdog75
While I believe physical addiction is real I truly believe it's the person. Only thing I've been guilty of being addicted to is mexican food and women. Addiction is between your ears but again we're all different and I consider myself lucky.

Components of both but the physical - and changes in brain chemistry - are all too real. I personally know too many highly successful individuals who believed the latter ... until they were found cold and blue. To believe it’s all a matter of will is naive with some of the synthetic opioids available today.
While I use opioids and other meds for my herniated disc personally I think diet has as much influence on pain(inflammation) as anything. When I make myself eat and drink(alcohol) less I always feel better. As Americans we are spoiled and most of us are glutenous. I spent two months in India back in 2014 for work and the somewhat limited availability of decent alcohol and the lack of processed food was amazing for my general feeling and pain level. I felt amazing. I'm a product of grandparents that lived through the depression and was taught as a child to always clean my plate and don't take food for granted. While there intentions were great they created several generations of fat @ss's. Less is more in so many ways. Opioids, food, alcohol, etc. Back to the poster, use your meds as prescribed and don't sweat it. With pain unfortunately you must get in front of it as playing catch up is frutile at best. Good luck brother.
Post anesthesia confusion is not uncommon, especially as we age. Especially since the anesthesia short circuited some brain functions. Combined with the fact surgical interventions can cause delayed cognitive issues...Often the zombie response after surgery is cumulative based on a combination of factors. Post surgical pain medications being only one....

You aren't a doc, not asking you to be one, but...

Father-in-law had some issues and was on a vent for a week.
Last Saturday he jerked the vent out and has done well enough
On oxygen to not need it.

But, he has been as goofy as a bedbug since. In and out, sundowner
definitely. Is improving over the last 2 days.

How long until the drugs/effects are gone to the point that we know
it's not getting any better? Ironically, he got agitated Thursday night
and they sedated him. Since then, he has improved.

I can't talk to the docs, and don't want to bring this up with my wife's
family. They are already stressed.

Take a SWAG?
Posted By: Matt Hayes Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
I guess I see this a little differently than some in this thread. I've been dealing with three bulging disks and a mass pushing on my spinal nerves for the last four months. I've never been in more pain. Thankfully I work for myself. I work for a few hours and then spend the rest of the day in bed. On average I've been spending 16 hours a day in bed.

I can't tell you how frustrated I get at the doctors. They are terrified to prescribe anything strong. We're still trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. It is generally two weeks for an MRI, another two weeks for the doctor visit, another two weeks for more MRI's . . .and on and on. During that time, I've been in horrible pain and they are so afraid to prescribe anything strong that I've been in a lot of pain. When you are in pain you will do almost anything. I'm pretty sure I would use heroin medicinally if I could get it.

Let's take care of the pain, fix the problem and worry less about getting sued. I have no problem being told the dangers of the drugs but let me decide. I'm an adult.
Posted By: las Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I had surgery a couple of decades back and they sent me home with enough Percocet to kill an Elephant. I was hurting the first day and took a couple. The second day the pain was little more than a nuisance. The third day I got dressed and went on about my business. I may have taken 4 or 5 total over a 3 day period. The rest of the bottle sat in the medicine chest until I flushed them down the toilet.

Some doctors over prescribe that stuff.

You shouldn't flush that schitt. Makes the turds too happy and "dependent".

Bad for fishes, etc too. smile.

Unless you have a septic system, vs "city sewer".

I think I had Vicodin once, for either my knee or rotator cuff surgery. Don't remember which.

I wasn't taking it and got told to take it - being in even mild pain would slow recovery. So I did. I think it was a 10 day/2x daily. Never missed it when it went away.

I do keep a supply of muscle relaxant in stock- especially when back-packing. As I age, and get less physically fit (What? me "get in shape" before season? No way!). Charlie-horses get more prevalent. I feel one coming on, pop a pill, good to go. I use maybe 3 a year....

You aren't a doc, not asking you to be one, but...

Father-in-law had some issues and was on a vent for a week.
Last Saturday he jerked the vent out and has done well enough
On oxygen to not need it.

But, he has been as goofy as a bedbug since. In and out, sundowner
definitely. Is improving over the last 2 days.

How long until the drugs/effects are gone to the point that we know
it's not getting any better? Ironically, he got agitated Thursday night
and they sedated him. Since then, he has improved.

I can't talk to the docs, and don't want to bring this up with my wife's
family. They are already stressed.

Take a SWAG?

Way above my knowledge base...You need to address this with someone who is actively participating in your FIL's care. Someone who knows exactly what he was and is currently being given... along with his immediate functional capacities..

Addition: And here is an often ugly truth...Many Pharmacists know there stuff, but damn few are as astute as a specialist that does the same thing everyday...The good Docs know their specialty and the role of the pharmacist becomes a background check when it comes to questioning the reasoning for something perhaps out of the ordinary, or as a resource for those who haven't yet had enough experience.....Sometimes we catch things and sometimes we learn things
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
I have a family member that got addicted to pain killing opioids.
Progressed down that ugly path for quite a while....his life is an absolute mess.
Be careful...you don't want none of that.
Battue,

You are a pharmacist?

Opioid loading has been pointed to as an example that opioids don’t actually work. Some pain sufferers will have the meds changed to more potent opioids or seek to increase the amount of pills they take because their original prescription isn’t staying in front of their pain...

This may have played a significant role in creating the legislation against opioids, coupled with short term prescription users hitting the street for stronger drugs to get high that lead some to overdose in numbers.

People can become dependent on pain meds over time. Many, layman politicians and professionals will confuse dependency with addition.

Being dependent on meds to reduce pain levels isn’t the same as being addicted to the euphoric side effects some opioids can offer. Dependence on pain reduction through a pill isn’t addiction!

Addiction can lead a person to the street for anything to get the same *high* they felt taking pain medication. This group is still actively seeking street drugs, or is, in and out of rehab, maybe dead from an OD.

Now dependent users for pain management, based on actual, long term medical conditions seeking professional help, become despondent over being treated like a drug addict.

They are made to participate in therapeutic treatments that are more costly, less effective, and will either live a less fulfilling life due to chronic pain, lose a liver or kidney due to OTC meds, or eat a bullet from pain, frustration, and a failed medical system.

🦫

Thanks. Hadn't considered you wouldn't know exactly what
he has been given.
"Father-in-law had some issues and was on a vent for a week."

I read somewhere that if you are on a ventilator for too long you will have brain damage. I think too long was 6 days or more.

Explain please

More drugs should be made like it. Made by Johnson and Johnson who make Tylenol. The body processes it very well and it leaves the body. No residual per se. Easy on kidneys not a big concern for hospice patients but is a benefit. Can be dripped on tongue or given in IV. Its a common used drug for hospice and pain.

Somewhat agree on all but the J&J part. Doesn't really explain the clean reference though. It's a natural compound modified into many other drugs - hydromorphone, oxymorphone, codeine, and yes heroin. Close cousin to oxycodone and hydrocodone.
Know an individual who went thru two knee replacements that didn’t work. Now did he do the PT? Don’t know, but his knee looks like someone stuffed one of those round watermelons in there. Older, and until a couple years ago, worked regular as a carpenter. On10-12 oxycodone a day, when he can get them and is not addicted, but has asked them to take his leg off at the knee because of the constant pain.

As of last year, they wouldn’t do that either.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
It’s hard for me to get any real medication for pain, chronic pain. Because of so many shîtbyrds in my state (Tn) the docs are all under a microscope.

I go to a pain mgt specialist and they are with the big hospital. It more of a procedural practice vs a pharamcological dispensary.

My guy is more into electro nerve blocks/ablations instead of pills.

2 weeks ago I let them do a branch medial nerve ablation on my sacral and first few lumbar. Im in more pain now than before the procedure. Sitting here right on a TENS unit.

I got big giant polycystic kidneys jammed all up in my guts pushing on several other buttons causing me havoc. 15 years of roofing and ladders has gotten the better part of my knees and back.

Can’t get any real pain meds from real docs or even get them to try to hear me/understand. Ask for real meds like hydocodone or oxy and youre instantly accused of being a fisher, doctor shopper, smurfer, etc

Gapapentin was strange, I got zero relief and zero side effects from it. A nothing pill for my physiologically.

I have ration and parcel out a few oxys from left over procedures. Mostly just suck it and go down the road, grit your teeth.
Hot tubs, hot wraps, heating pads, braces ice, stretching. Not much help.

That’s another thing. Grinding bone to bone orthopedic issues and the first docs want to do is to send you to “physical therapy”
SMH

I've gone through a similar thing. I went to pain management in about 2013 for severe central stenosis at L3-L5 and several other spinal problems. They got me started on hydro for a few months and then once I was physically dependent they started with the you need to let us do another flouroscopy guided steroid injection, facet denervation, branch block etc or we won't refill your meds.

None of their injections worked but they charged about $5,000 each. They charged about $20,000 to do some sound wave nerve killing thing on my facets even though my problem was my central canal was supposed to be 15mm but was down to 5mm.

They had me put off surgery for over a year while they gave me pills and tried all their expensive procedures over and over that never worked.

I finally ended up with caude equina syndrome. I was driving to SLC to fly to Illinois for a business meeting. I stopped to take a leak and couldn't pee after 4 bottles of water. I couldn't feel anything below the belt. I felt like I'd just rode a bicycle 200 miles to SLC. I drove right past the airport and headed to the hospital. The neurosurgeon sent me right into an mri at 5:30 PM. It came back positive for caude equina so he did surgery at 7:00 am the next morning.

My surgeon was pissed when he read my records from pain management. He said steroid injections don't work on central stenosis and all the nerve denervation and other procedures were a waste of time and money. He said I should have had the surgery a year ago. He pretty strongly hinted that my pain manager got me dependent on pills so he could make money on all the procedures. Two weeks after surgery or so I flushed what I had left and went cold turkey after a year of everyday. It was hell, especially the first week.

Unfortunately they found out years later that I had ankylosing spondylitis and that's what closed off my spine. It also caused heel spurs and knee spurs so I've had to go back on and off pills for other surgeries and severe chronic pain. I hate the pills but also feel they saved my life when I was at a point I didn't think I could go on. They also gave me the ability to function sometimes when I wouldn't have been able to.

I know they need to watch them but it sucks how many people are left in severe pain because the Dr's worried big brother will second guess him. It's driving people to the streets where they are dying from fake fentanyl laced stuff or heroin or they drink themselves to death. You can only handle severe pain for so long without some kind of relief. The lack of sleep and depression from pain are at least as dangerous as pills.

The left screams it's my body, it's between my Dr and me, but seem ok with the government interfering with every other aspect your health care. Nothing screams not a free country like having a far away beurocrat who knows nothing about you making health care decisions for you.

Bb
Pharmacology is only part of the pharmacists professional responsibility. And in this case was in error to state you would be unquestionably addicted within two weeks.

Fair warning is different than your statement he unequivocally stated you would be addicted within two weeks...

Their professional responsibility would be to state the potential of addiction, to advise not to operate machinery or consume alcohol while on valium. Not to say you WILL become addicted within 2 weeks of short term use.

Addition: And the accepted medical guideline-physician and pharmacist-re Valium and addiction.... is with prolonged usage.

This right here.

Your average pharmacist has seen many hundreds of drug seekers/addicts and deals with them on a daily basis. Those 10-25% of customers result in 75% of the daily headaches. He did you a favor but could have used better language as mentioned by battue.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
I took it after shoulder surgery. I had never really taken it before, but the doc told me to take it regularly and not allow the pain to start, because it was hard to stop once it started.

I took it as prescribed for two days and nights and it made me lose my mind. My wife said I was saying stuff that made no sense and I wasn’t even aware of it. The end of that [bleep] for me came when I thought I had ants crawling all over me that 2nd night of trying to sleep in the recliner.

I will never take it again.
"doc told me to take it regularly and not allow the pain to start, because it was hard to stop once it started"

That's bad advice and the reason people get addicted to pain medications. Pain medication should be taken only when needed. After rotator cuff surgery I was told by the Doc to take one Oxycodone before I went to bed that night and then one every 6 hrs after that. I took one when I went to bed and another one about 6 hours later when the nerve block stopped working and woke me up. I took 2 of a 30 tablet prescription and could have gotten another 30 tablet refill. I still had pain but it was just an aching pain that was easy to tolerate and that pain was gone by 7:00 ppm that night.. The aching pain was was nothing like the sharp pain of a herniated disc. With a herniated disc I only took one Oxycodone at bedtime hoping to would help me go to sleep and it did help (for about 30 minutes). The rest of the night I had to depend on endorfins for pain relief and a little sleep.

For the people who believe that opioids aren't addictive Brett Favre was taking 60 tablets a day before he asked for help. I know that some people have to take opioids for constant pain. These people tell me they get much more long lasting pain relief from pot, can sleep through the night and wake up feeling great.
Since it was during the season and in his playing days....
Wonder we’re he got them? Surly not from inside the organization. Well maybe....however odd since it is confession time he didn't mention being out on the street buying from the dealer.

“I was basically taking, in two days, a month’s prescription, which is crazy,” Favre said. “During the ’95 season I had a seizure the night before a game.”

The IV formulation has merits....

Addition: For the short term post surgery...but is it better than opioids for short term post...Evidence says no, and the expense is significantly greater.

Given.🙂
Some people can't smoke pot because of there job. It is still illegal on the federal level.
Posted By: Papag Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
10mg oxy, 325 acetominophen.
Posted By: Papag Re: Oxycodone - 03/28/21
Took it after spinal fusion, after an infection in two vertebrae and a disc, and after knee replacement. If you wait too long and pain gets ahead it is tough to catch up. No problems getting off of it. Just weaned down to one in a.m., one in p.m. and then to one in p.m. then none. One or two nights of insomnia then fine.
Posted By: shootem Re: Oxycodone - 03/29/21
Pharmacist here -
Start with 1/2 tablet
Stretch the interval
The pain will not go away, just the edge taken off.
Consume fiber.
Taper off ASAP.

You may be a pharmacist. You’re sure as hell not a doctor. Stick to filling scripts not filling a patient with serious fuggin pain that kind of BS. Take the “edge off”. Really. You’re an idiot and don’t have the first clue what you’re talking about when it comes to pain management. Think I’ll stop wasting my time on it about now.
Originally Posted by RAS
Avoid all opiates.

I don’t drink at all or use weed, but I would do both of those before using opiates.

Many normal, productive people have had their lives destroyed by opiates. I know booze and drugs are bad, but opiates can do much greater damage.

Just not true. Couldn’t care less if you use alcohol or not or choose to twist a a left hander now and then. But the two don’t belong even in the same sentence as far as effect on lives. Even if you choose to not call ETO a drug It IS a drug. A major, major drug. And the government making money off selling scotch but demonizing people who use marijuana is just another example of why the Bill of Rights was written. The government cannot be trusted or trusted to use logic. And not allowing THC to be used at the very least for medicinal trials and prescription drug application, while allowing synthetic opiods is as stupid as one would expect our government to be. And to sit there and say opioids can do more social damage than liquor is just ignorant.

So just “avoid all opiates”. Dear sweet Jesus come quickly. I truly hope you never need them. Hope you never lay squeezing the mattress till both hands are numb praying for relief because nothing that can be given works. There are times when this website is a truly wonderful study of why dogs bark even when there’s nothing to bark at.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Oxycodone - 03/29/21
I had no idea how many of my 24HCF people were in such bad pain. I feel terrible for you all that are and some orthopedic doctors can be pretty indifferent or even heartless to the issue. I've only felt like I had to use an opioid (oxycodone) once in my life and then only 5 or 6 pills but I had to use 2 beers to supplement them each time to get relief. It's a wonder it didn't kill me since I had never used them before. As I posted earlier I have been close to 2 individuals that I found out were hopeless addicts, both for decades. One died as a pitiful case and the other is still alive as a pitiful case. I am scared to death of the stuff and am pretty sure it is way more than in your head when you're hooked. I was given a shot of Demerol in the ER over 40 years ago and I saw beautiful visions. The 20 minute ride home seemed 2 hours and felt as if we were floating above the ground. I promise I could have become a hopeless addict to that stuff in 2 or 3 days
Always interesting to read the campfire Doogie Howser, MD outtakes.....

laffin....It’s just wrong to hide brilliance, keep it to yourself.
Posted By: battue Re: Oxycodone - 03/29/21
I can almost guarantee his post was directed at acute transient pain and not severe chronic pain..Which most times requires two different medication plans. One short term and the other long. His emphasis being on avoiding the possibility of developing dependence with regard the first.

Either way, his comment on tapering applies to both situations when it comes to trying to minimize withdrawal events.

And you should perhaps reevaluate your sig line...
I can almost guarantee his post was directed at acute transient pain and not severe chronic pain..Which most times requires two different medication plans. One short term and the other long. His emphasis being on avoiding the possibility of developing dependence with regard the first.

Either way, his comment on tapering applies to both situations when it comes to trying to minimize withdrawal events.

And you should perhaps reevaluate your sig line...

Couple of things. One, that last post was so messed up I won’t even try to fix it or explain. Between auto complete and apparently not thinking or speaking English very well that’s just a mess. I’ll only say, believe it or not I was actually trying to agree with you. Secondly, my argument about starting with 1/2 tablet. I don’t know what dosage that was but I’ll hold with it being best for the doctor not the pharmacist to determine the beginning medication dose based on a lot more clinical data, patient interaction, and clinical training than the pharmacist is likely to have; whether acute transient OR chronic pain. Either way, get the pain under control as I expect was the doctor’s intent. Don’t try to nickel/dime it away. However my response was unnecessarily bawdy and I apologize for not having given it a little more thought. Based on considerable experience with a number of pain types and severities and physicians whose abilities ran from few to amazing, trying to “take the edge off” is very similar in concept and result of “trying to not loose” a sporting event. It’s a very good way to bring about the undesired effect. I have received some very good advice from pharmacists, especially on drug interactions, that were not overlooked but certainly appeared to have been. But in my patient based experience I certainly disagree in this case with re-evaluating the physician’s instruction and re-instructing the patient without the attending physician’s advice and consent.

My sig line. Re-evaluation has been suggested before. However it is not meant to advertise perfection for that I’ll never have. It’s a reminder. For me. Every time I am overly critical, vulgar in speech, lacking in doing God’s will, forgetful that words last forever, in need of correcting the way in which I represent my Creator and my Savior, neglectful of placing Him first, then there those words are. They’ve kept me from tapping “Post Reply” a great number of times. Unfortunately on a goodly number of occasions I’ve posted anyway then had to return to the scene of the crime and ask forgiveness. If you have determined within yourself to be unsatisfied with that conduct you never will be. And I will not be satisfied with that conduct. I do prefer to ask forgiveness, move on, try harder. Thanks for the reminder.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Oxycodone - 03/29/21
Will not bore you with the personal details, and particularly because the instances of such severe and lasting pain can vary greatly according to many factors. For those who rarely or never have used substances that alter your feelings, and even though the pain factor can be so intense that the patient will not likely be able to fight back to health without such relief, the prospect of heavy and lengthy oxycodone dosage can be very troubling. For very good reasons.

When prescribed and ingesting such heavy and prolonged dosages, one major thing on your mind may be the potential for nasty addiction. This is justifiable and sensible. If you are dedicated to getting off the stuff, determination and maybe some good helpers can enable you to succeed. Making the down taper too steep/too soon can interrupt the progress - and hurt - so thank goodness my smart kids and wife helped me fix that blip. The victory of reaching and staying at zero can feel almost as good as recovery from what caused the sever pain. Wishing you every good outcome.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Oxycodone - 03/29/21
A few years back, I was using a pain clinic for back pain. This included shots in the back and Hydrocodone pills. One visit they put me on Oxycodone for a couple of months. It did not work as well as the Hydrocodone for me. Any way down the road a couple of years and I got pissed at the pain management clinic for not keeping the appointments straight and me driving a long way, sometimes with a driver, and them telling me that I had no appointment that day, even thought I had the card they filled out. I told them to stick it, and I would not be back. I had a few pills that had accumulated due to not taking one before a shot in the back, and I used them to taper off. Come to find out they had lost most of their effectiveness for me. The shots were always very temporary relief. Had no trouble quitting them, and have not had one for three years. Back still hurts, but little more than when I was going to the pain clinic. It is getting worse though. I had one operation and may have to look at another. miles
Posted By: battue Re: Oxycodone - 03/29/21
One of the most common elements of a pain order would be the inclusion of the term “prn”. Which translates into “as needed”. I.E. tid prn. Which in this case would be three times a day as needed.

Once a certain level of pain control is established with a conscious and aware patient, the dosing instruction will almost universally change to “as needed.” And with that, the aware patient is given a certain level of control over how much or often they will take additional dosing. Also, individuals vary in their pain thresholds or individual response to a given dose or milligrams of dose. Something the physician will not always be initially aware of when first starting a pain program. And certain medications can be divided into smaller amounts. Liquids obviously. Tablets or capsules sometimes, based on the individual formulation.

These same instructions are most often given to the aware patient by the physician. Although more often than not, the patient only hears what they want to hear. Or the personal stressors of being ill, overrides their ability to comprehend instructions. One of the reasons physicians and hospitals have become more aware of the need for follow up communication with their patients and customers.
© 24hourcampfire