Home
If you were to pick a revolver for your full-time EDC, with the expectation that one day you might be the target of an attack directed specifically at you (not just some random mugger or crazy guy), what would you carry? I ask, because my home state is extreme enough to try to ban all semi-autos. I'm not saying such a ban would survive judicial scrutiny, but in case I have to pack a revolver for a year or so while the appeal process works, I want to own/practice with my gun in advance rather than join the rush of people all shopping at once.

PLEASE - Let's NOT discuss politics or delve into a constitutional debate. Just talk revolvers you'd carry as an EDC if that were your only choice. Thanks!

And if you care, currently my default choice, based on what I already own would be a pinned/recessed Smith 66-1 2.5" in an OWB holster with a speed strip in each front pocket of my suit pants. I'm thinking I might want a 4" gun for the longer sight radius (my near vision is not great), but I'm not sure.
3" SP101 in 357mag
Ruger 44RM 3-screw.
Originally Posted by goalie
3" SP101 in 357mag

Well, I've got one of those too. Here's a pic of mine, along with the S&W 66-1.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by Waders
If you were to pick a revolver for your full-time EDC, with the expectation that one day you might be the target of an attack directed specifically at you (not just some random mugger or crazy guy), what would you carry? I ask, because my home state is extreme enough to try to ban all semi-autos. I'm not saying such a ban would survive judicial scrutiny, but in case I have to pack a revolver for a year or so while the appeal process works, I want to own/practice with my gun in advance rather than join the rush of people all shopping at once.

PLEASE - Let's NOT discuss politics or delve into a constitutional debate. Just talk revolvers you'd carry as an EDC if that were your only choice. Thanks!

And if you care, currently my default choice, based on what I already own would be a pinned/recessed Smith 66-1 2.5" in an OWB holster with a speed strip in each front pocket of my suit pants. I'm thinking I might want a 4" gun for the longer sight radius (my near vision is not great), but I'm not sure.

I think you are on the right track. I think they made the 66 with a 3" barrel, which for me in this application is about right.
K- frame S&W in .357 with 4" Bbl.

M19 or M66
4" Smith 686 .357 with a round butt. Or, a 625 4", with the full moon clips.Or, a 3" Smith 13. Lots of choices, but almost all of them are Smiths.
Nothing at all wrong with your default choice!

It is a little heavier than some but that helps with recoil...

If you just want an excuse to buy another gun, look at the Kimber K6S. I just bought one a few weeks ago & am impressed. Always liked the Ruger SP101 too.

If you want a different caliber, the S&W 329 with lighter loads is pleasant to carry.
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
Ruger 44RM 3-screw.

The old Blackhawk? I'm not saying my choice WOULDN'T be a single action, but I think you'd have to convince me.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
...Lots of choices, but almost all of them are Smiths.
642 Smith and Wesson. It shoots well and conceals well. I’m more likely to carry a smaller revolver than a larger one.
Colt Combat commander or one of my small S&W 1911 in 45acp full of 230 grain Hydro shocks would be my preference. For the revolver S&W model 25, 4 inch barrel, 45 Colt, 250 grain SWC.
That 66 would be hard to beat, unless you went with a 360PD for the weight savings. I would. Hard to argue with "Run what you brung" though.
I would use my 4" Taurus Ti Tracker in .357 mag. it weighs. 28 oz, has a 7-shot capacity.

My pocket gun would be a S&W Airweight Bodyguard 638,

I have a 4 in Model 28 and a Rossi SS 92 with a 20" barrel to go with them.

I would be fine. Handicapped a bit but more lethal in some ways than my .380, 9's and .40.
I'd forgot about the Kimber, that would be worth a look I'd bet, but I haven't had one in my hands yet.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

I think you are on the right track. I think they made the 66 with a 3" barrel, which for me in this application is about right.

I too like the 3" M66. It may, in fact, prove to be the winner. I just want to be sure of my choice before paying the premium price those 3" guns bring. But, I will spend the money to get what I decide is best. Thanks for your input!
386PD
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
Ruger 44RM 3-screw.

The old Blackhawk? I'm not saying my choice WOULDN'T be a single action, but I think you'd have to convince me.

It's not "you" that needs convincing, it's the thug that needs convincing when you are forced to pull that cannon out and he's having to stare at the open end of that cannon.

It puts you in a good position, because depending on his state of mind, he might be "convinced" it just might be better to walk away.

The 44 is a Super Blackhawk
Ruger SRH in .357, 44 mag.
From time to time I'll carry a S&W 310 with 40 S&W/moon clips in a Milt Sparks PMK. Double speedloader pouch made for 357's will allow 2 stacked moon clips of 40's.....that's 6 in the gun, an 24 on the belt. Fairly fast to reload.

Could do the same with 45's in a 6/325. With 357/38's a 6/327 will hold 8 rounds but I don't think you can stack 2 in the pouch due to the longer length....maybe you could with 38's.

Lots of good options. Regardless of what I carried on the belt, I'd probably have jframe/LCR in my front left pocket as well.
Colt King Cobra 357 magnum with a 4” barrel circa 1990s production.
It would be one of my mountain guns, either 41 mag or 45 ACP. Or my four inch 66. I have been swooning for some time over the 3 inch S&W 44 Specials. Not so wild about the prices but think I’d sure like the gun.
Model 19 3 inch .
A Titanium S&W 340 shielded hammer .357 Mag, but shooting .38 Special +P ammo. I had a K frame 66 and it was too heavy. A J frame is a whole bunch lighter.
Or you could thumb your nose at the violation of your Constitutional right to bear arms, and carry a semi-auto. The odds of you having to shoot someone really aren't that high or even having to pull it, where anyone would know what you're packing.

Just depends on how willing you are to defend your rights.
Mine is.
I'm a retired LEO, and I'm old enough to have been issued, and required to carry a revolver. As such, I'm trained in it. As one of above the posters stated, "lot's of choices, and all S&W". Great advice right there. My choices would be a three inch 65, or 13 (if you can find one) 2 3/4 66 or 19, or what I have currently in the safe, a L Comp. IWB holster, two speed loaders and your set. If you have to carry 7 rounds max I'd make sure they were big bullets, and a 1911 with standard pressure HP's would work fine. The old FBI load of 158 grains +P SWCHP will still get the job done in these revolvers as even in a L Frame a 125 grain magnum's recoil is a bit more than any 9mm load most of us are used too.
Originally Posted by ingwe
K- frame S&W in .357 with 4" Bbl.

M19 or M66
Originally Posted by sparkman10mm
386PD

+1 on this. I have one & love it but Find one today...
I had (now my son’s) a Nickel plated, S&W Model 19, 2 1/2” barrel with Herret stocks. I loved that little handgun. If I reload like Jerry Miculek.....I’d still be using a revolver for EDC! Though today it would be a lightweight, short barreled 44 mag (light loads) or a 45 LC, either one a S&W. memtb
I think you are spot on with what you have Waders.
I prefer AIWB for carry, but your hardware is sound.

Todd
What I have now: a Ruger LCR 38 Spec with a XS Sights Big Dot Tritium Front Sight loaded with Speer short bbl +P 135gr Gold Dot HPs and a speedloader of the same for backup.
GP100 or SP101. Pick your cartridge, barrel length and finish.

For me, most if the year it'd probably be the GP with 3 or 4" barrel in .357 or .44 special. Warmer weather might have see me with a SP in .357.
Sp101 2.25.
I'd carry what I carried for many years as my EDC, an S&W Model 13, FBI configuration (three in bull barrel, round butt frame), in a Milt Sparks VM II and a speed loader.
Ruger LCR in .38
I would continue to carry my little smith airweight 38spl. It's light and is easily concealed. Usually carry it in the front pocket of my bibs.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I'd carry what I carried for many years as my EDC, an S&W Model 13, FBI configuration (three in bull barrel, round butt frame), in a Milt Sparks VM II and a speed loader.

That's a very good choice. Some years back a whole bunch in Shotgun News just after they were surplused. I should of bought one....or more.
My EDC is a Cimarron Lightning in 38 special with 3 1/2" barrel. Not ideal I know because it is single action. But it is a smaller frame than the full size Colt or Ruger. The main reason I carry it is because I have to deal deal with injured livestock from time to time. I think it is adequate to deal with deranged people if necessary. I carry it in a modified Galco SAO holster which can be carried strong side or cross draw. My second choice is just what you described. With a fixed blade knife, chaps, a rope and handgun it starts to add up.
Smith 360 air weight 357 magnum. Super lite and use can use 357 mag or 38 in it. I got one with a 3 inch barrel.
Sounds like your priorities tend toward more defensive capability over absolute lightest weight and concealability.

A 6 shot .38 Special with a barrel length between 2 1/2 to 4 inches is the sweet spot. Several fit the bill - Smith Model 10, 64, 15 or 65 - 4" is the standard in each of those and are easy to find. To reduce size for concealment a round butt with a BK grip adapter might be helpful. A .357 K-frame would work just as well but I'd still carry .38 or .38 +P level loads if it was 2 1/2" or 3". The slight velocity gain isn't worth the cost in recoil which makes repeat shots more difficult.

A good Ruger Security or Speed Six with 2 3/4" or 4" barrel shouldn't be overlooked as well.
Originally Posted by 45_100
My EDC is a Cimarron Lightning in 38 special with 3 1/2" barrel. Not ideal I know because it is single action. But it is a smaller frame than the full size Colt or Ruger. The main reason I carry it is because I have to deal deal with injured livestock from time to time. I think it is adequate to deal with deranged people if necessary. I carry it in a modified Galco SAO holster which can be carried strong side or cross draw. My second choice is just what you described. With a fixed blade knife, chaps, a rope and handgun it starts to add up.

The original Colt Lightning was double action. Why is yours only single action?
3" SP101 in 357mag

this
Smith and Wesson model 65 LadySmith 3” 357 magnum. Backed up by a S&W model 49 or 640.
3" SP101 in 357mag

^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^
For all those suggesting 5-shot J Frames, I appreciate your input, but is that really the gun you want for a gunfight? It's a serious question, not a criticism. Size and weight aren't going to be the deal breaker here for me (within reason--I'm probably not going to opt for an N Frame with a 8 3/8" barrel).

If somebody was waiting for me in the parking lot and the fight was on, I'm thinking I'd want a real rear sight--not just a notch, and bit more grip than the typical 2 finger. How much sight radius would you want? I'm talking in terms of fighting back against a determined attacker.

Thanks!
My truck gun is a colt trooper 4 in
Like many here, I could be happy with either a 3" SP101 or Model 60. Left to my own devices, though, I would more than likely opt for a Smith 325.
These are the only revolvers I keep loaded:

Colt Cobra 38sp Aluminum 6 shot
S&W 642-2 Airweight 38sp+P hammerless 5 shot
S&W 640-1 Stainless 357 mag hammerless 5 shot

I am in a city of 25,000 with no gunfights in the 100 year history. A cop did shoot a dog, wounding it. A cop did shoot a bank robber in the hip. Some unknown person shot a deer with a pellet gun.
I have a Model 66, see no need to go further.
I often carry revolvers by choice. I shoot them well, can reload quickly, and have confidence in their payload. Some in the carry rotation are a .38 Special snub Model 442, a three inch Model 65, a three inch Model 60, a 4 inch Model 19, those three in .357 Magnum. I also carry, from time to time. revolvers in .44 magnum and .45 Colt.
For all those suggesting 5-shot J Frames, I appreciate your input, but is that really the gun you want for a gunfight? It's a serious question, not a criticism. Size and weight aren't going to be the deal breaker here for me (within reason--I'm probably not going to opt for an N Frame with a 8 3/8" barrel).

If somebody was waiting for me in the parking lot and the fight was on, I'm thinking I'd want a real rear sight--not just a notch, and bit more grip than the typical 2 finger. How much sight radius would you want? I'm talking in terms of fighting back against a determined attacker.

Thanks!

A standard old school police sidearm should fit the bill nicely, meaning a Smith Model 15 is your huckleberry since you want good sights. I have no empirical data but have heard through the grapevine that more than a few police officers so armed came out on top in a gunfight against a determined adversary. The Ruger Security Six 4" would also be a good second choice but lots of good used 15's are still around for a "reasonable" price even in these inflated times.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is the best fug the rest . No better combat 7-12 yd revolver out there simply superb. FBI been getting their ass shot off ever since they went to snubbies and auto hosers. Mb
Waders;
Good morning to you my cyber friend, it's been much to long since I've said hello to you sir, but I hope that all is as well as can be with you and your family.

Since as a Canuck we're not currently allowed to even have impure thoughts about carrying a sidearm for defense, my thoughts on the subject are akin to how many angels I think can dance on a horseshoe nail.

That said, for me personally and especially so as I've been aging, I'll take nice square sights rather than a trough or notch for sure. In the same vein, I can usually do better with a 4" barrel revolver than a shorter one, but that's my semi-old guy eyes and not yours.

If you can hide it and don't mind the length difference for concealment, I'd pack whatever I shot the best with - once again if we were allowed such basics of free citizenry here across the medicine line.

Stay well and all the best of our Lord's blessing to you all.

Dwayne
I wear a revolver by choice. First generation Charter Bulldog .44 Special, bull barrel. Loaded and in the pancake holster, it's less then 1.5 pounds. One speed loader and a speed strip for reloads. Summer load is 210 gr Silvertips, winter load is 240 gr SWC.

Originally Posted by Anteloper
Originally Posted by sparkman10mm
386PD

+1 on this. I have one & love it but Find one today...

A three inch 386sc on GB now. Not cheap, but it checks a lot of boxes. 7 shot as well.
I carry a 1911 but have had the revolver bug myself the last few years, though for different reasons than the OP. I have been playing with different ones but have not become confident enough yet with any full sized revolver to make any sort of a recommendation. I do believe I'd avoid any .44 Mag or bigger though, just because it isn't needed for self defense and the guns they come in are generally pretty big. One of the oddball .45 ACP revolvers or such have grabbed my attention, though sticking with standard .357 Mag probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Bbl length I suspect is optimal at around 4", maybe a bit longer.

I normally advocate carrying what you'd would want to have if it is needed, and then figure out how to conceal it. When in summer though, dressed like the slut that I am I have lately been packing a Ruger LCR in .38 Special +P in my front pocket with a speed loader in the other. It is more accurate than a sub 2" bbl should be but still just doesn't feel "right" for self defense.
Colt Detective Special in 38. I carried one for years and it would do anything I needed it to. For me it was a matter of what it would do at 10 feet and loaded with hollowpoints that little pistol was more than accurate enough and a 38 hollowpoint in the chest is a great equalizer.
well if i got people i think are going to be attacking me, it would be the lightest one i could shoot the best. might try the s&w 629 scandium frame ones with 44 special loads.
carry it every day almost, winter I'll carry a full size 1911.

I’ve been known to stick a S&W M&P340 in my pocket running around town. Have a couple of Speed Strips. Using aftermarket Hogue grips gets you away from “2 fingered” grips.

Alloy- framed six-shot Colt revolver chambered for .38 Special. S&W version is called Model 12.
[quote=goalie]3" SP101 in 357mag (quote)

Good idea,mine is a 9mm

You are correct. From what I understand the Colt Lightning was somewhat fragile and tended to break. Hard to find one in good working condition and they are highly prized if found. Cimarron has used this as a marketing gimmick and advertises the single action Lightning as " the gun Colt should have made". This gun has the firing pin in the frame but I don't think it has a hammer block so I carry five rounds. They also make the Thunderer which is a full size SA revolver with the Colt style firing pin on the hammer. I think it is all about marketing.
Good question and very observent.
M10-8 in .38. Worked well in the big city

This works if you have to keep a low profile. I still carry this daily in retirement. Preferable (to me) to a semi, but I'm not expecting a reinforced Haji rifle squad.
3" SP101 in 357mag

nailed it right out of the gate. hands down what I would do

Thanks!

I can hit clay pigeons easy at fifty yards with my sps101 and no problem hitting a chest size target at a 100
I carry a SW 360PD in 357 mag when I hike. I think it weights 12 ounces. Actually hurts to shoot 357 kinda, so a better carry than range gun for salty loads.
I also have the same 329 in 44 mag, but it is pretty big. I think it weighs about 27 ounces? Anyway it is not pleasant to shoot with full loads, but a lot better than the 357.
I do think the 360 is a good carry.
I can and do carry my 4" 586 a fair bit, but if I were in town more than the woods, it'd be a 3" mod 60. Real sights, extremely easy for me to shoot accurately. I replaced the springs and smoothed the action. With some .38 +p sjhp I don't feel undergunned in the least when I'm carrying it in town.
As i've already ground that useless hump off the Hogue grips that hindered speedy speed loading on my old 1st Gen 4" 357 mag Colt Trooper as well as having 6 speedloaders for it, that would be the one, it's accurate, smother than smooth and dependable.

125gr XTP's 1450.
125gr Barnes hp's 1450.
140gr Barnes hp's 1400........................drill bit load.
158gr cast Performance hard cast, 1366.

I suppose a man could get most all of it done with those loads, that 140 Barnes is ugly.

Around here it would be a choice between a snub nose LCRx and a 4 inch SP101, each in 327 mag loaded with a powder coated 120 gr hardcast over a case full of H110.

The LCR fits well in a pocket. Carrying the SP 101 requires holster.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I wear a revolver by choice. First generation Charter Bulldog .44 Special, bull barrel. Loaded and in the pancake holster, it's less then 1.5 pounds. One speed loader and a speed strip for reloads. Summer load is 210 gr Silvertips, winter load is 240 gr SWC.

I carried one of those for a while back in the 1980s. Great choice.
Originally Posted by MAC
Colt Detective Special in 38. I carried one for years and it would do anything I needed it to. For me it was a matter of what it would do at 10 feet and loaded with hollowpoints that little pistol was more than accurate enough and a 38 hollowpoint in the chest is a great equalizer.

Another one that I carried daily for years, back approximately somewhere between 2005 and 2010. Another excellent choice.
Originally Posted by RGK
M10-8 in .38. Worked well in the big city

[img]https://i.imgur.com/dML0IQT.jpg[/img

Yep. Same appeal as the FBI configured Model 13.
3” for me as well. Either mdl 60 or kimber K6S DASA. Never thought I would love the kimber but I do. Very accurate for me and zero problems so far.
Or 3 speed six
I find many answers interesting.

The question, simply, was what would you carry if you had reasonable
expectation of bring attacked by an asassin? Hit man?
Like you are a DA or judge in an organized crime trial?

Most would say a shotgun or rifle. Hired bodyguards if practical?

But limited to revolvers?

So we get answers to what's the nicest revolver to carry?
In the remote, off chance, you might possibly, sometime, maybe, need it?

But then, I guess some would grab a small gripped, short barrel, lightweight, crappy sighted, 5 shot to go into a fight? Not in case, but into a fight?

It's the difference between your walking around 223 in case you want to shoot
something, and a "following a wounded Brown Bear in the pucker brush gun".

Waders, I probably destroyed your thread, sorry.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

But then, I guess some would grab a small gripped, short barrel, lightweight, crappy sighted, 5 shot to go into a fight? Not in case, but into a fight?

The OP specifically asked for revolver recommendations.

Thanks!

What about an N frame with a 5" barrel that holds * .357magnums and reloads with moon clips? If I had any inkling that I were going to be in a gunfight and if I had to carry a revolver, that's the one I'd choose. I've had a Performance Center 627 for a long time. A friend came to see it soon after I got it and said he thought it would just be another "game gun" but, after seeing and handling it, he'd carry it as a duty gun (if his agency allowed.)
4" S&W 586 and a couple of speedloaders in my pocket.
642 S&W loaded with HydraShoks.
I often carry a 3 inch 44 special. For some reason I shoot it better than the autos.
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
A 4" standard barrel Model 10 loaded with 158 grain swaged SWCHPs over 7 grains of AA#5
There's a lot to like about your current choice.

As much as I love older S&W revolvers and hate the lock, I keep coming back to a current adjustable-sight model. They're drilled and tapped so you can add a red-dot sight or the tritium version of these: https://www.dlsports.com/sandw_kln_frame_sights.html.

I’d probably buy a Model 66 and carry hot 38s, but I wouldn’t rule out a Model 625 in 45 ACP.

I’d get a 4.25” barrel for the sight radius and I’d carry in the appendix position. It sounds crazy but I’ve carried 4”, 5”, and 6” revolvers there back when we called it Mexican carry. A 4” gun is perfectly comfortable plus it actually conceals better than a shorter one.

Second choice is IWB at 4 o’clock. If you stay with OWB, then get a shorter barrel so it doesn’t show below your coat. I’d go with Kydex. It’s thinner, stiffer, and more resistant to sweat, plus it’s cheaper than leather, and I’d upgrade to a proper gun belt instead of a dress belt.

J-frames and SP-101s are too small for me to shoot well and handle quickly without bigger grips, which makes them as big as a K-frame, so I’ll take the bigger gun and the extra shot.

Okie John
3" SP101 in 357mag

This to be sure. ^^^
If a guy could find a Ruger 9mm revolver, that would be a cool option.
L frame smith and wesson 357 7 shot from their custom shop/
Waders,

I don't own one of these, but have decided if I buy one, it will be one of these.

Chiappa Rhino
https://www.chiappafirearms.com/family.php?id=53

OR

S&W LW in Scandium. Probably in 357, unless I wanted it to double as a trail gun. Then 44 makes more sense.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/smith-wesson-model-329pd-lightest-44-magnum-ever-made-105192

Never shot one but I’m sure that’s the ugliest I’ve ever seen.
I had the opportunity to shoot that Rhino revolver in 6 inch. Nice. Recoil is minimized.
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

The OP specifically asked for revolver recommendations.

And for once, The Fire actually tried to stay on topic.
Right. It’s turning a new leaf perhaps.....
Smith Model 638.

I carry that right now. I like the option of shorting single action for accuracy and double action for follow ups.

If I get a bead using single action, I am going to hit the target where I want. Practiced it for many years.
If you want THE top expert's opinion, go here and search "revolver."
s&W even produced one of his own designs.
You'll want to bookmark this channel.

[video:youtube]https://m.youtube.com/channel/UChk5eyAGuO3J4rV-CiMNkNQ[/video]
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Waders,

I don't own one of these, but have decided if I buy one, it will be one of these.

Chiappa Rhino
https://www.chiappafirearms.com/family.php?id=53

OR

S&W LW in Scandium... 44 ....

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/smith-wesson-model-329pd-lightest-44-magnum-ever-made-105192

I'd like to pickup one of those in 44, with the 4" barrel, but I'd have it ported.

His EDC isn't a revolver. It's a S&W Shield....but's it's still a Smith.
I often carry a 696 3" 44 special
A bobbed SP 101 is on the short list
A model 28 4"
A S&W 1917 with moons
Two or three single action Rugers we have are never unwelcome but an early GP100 6" with full underlug may be the most accurate (with 158's) of the bunch and the calming influence of bending that heavy barrel over someones head in a pinch beats throwing rocks at least until you can reload it....

Had one of the Model 13's mentioned above but in a very weak moment it got away from me. Wish that hadn't happened....
4" L frame S&W.

Or if that's not enough gun for you, then a 4" N frame in 41 magnum.

Both are highly shootable, just a little bulky to cover up, depending on time of the year & attire selection.

MM
Originally Posted by EdM

Ed;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope you and your fine family are well on this last Sunday of March.

Thanks for the photo of that interesting revolver, I've got to say I didn't know that configuration even existed! cool

Very cool piece there sir, thanks for sharing it.

All the best to you all.

Dwayne

Thanks!

I would think that if he was that close, adequate sights would would not be the problem. There is a reason some call them "belly guns". I carry an S&W M60 and Pachmeyr makes nice set of stocks that allows me to use all the fingers of my hand. I do admit that my main cary piece is a Colt Combat Commander .45 ACP and the M60 is my bug. But sometimes the .45 has to stay at home and the M60 becomes my primary. As the weather here warms up, it becomes quite difficult to hide that .45 when mode of dress is a T-shirt and jeans.
Paul B.
Originally Posted by viking
I had the opportunity to shoot that Rhino revolver in 6 inch. Nice. Recoil is minimized.

Recoil driven back directly against your palm, essentially zero bore axis angle.
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by EdM

Ed;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope you and your fine family are well on this last Sunday of March.

Thanks for the photo of that interesting revolver, I've got to say I didn't know that configuration even existed! cool

All the best to you all.

Dwayne

Apart from the adjustable sights, similar to my Ruger Speed Six (my first handgun, purchased new in 1980).

[Linked Image]

Yes, but I thought his opinions on revolvers would carry more weight than us lightweights.
The Smith&Wesson Model 19 Carry Comp seems like it would fit the bill pretty well. Night sights, 3" barrel and all that.
Alternatively the new King Cobras also look pretty interesting.

Recoil driven back directly against your palm, essentially zero bore axis angle.

I'd like one of those with an Italian sports car to match.

Yes, but I thought his opinions on revolvers would carry more weight than us lightweights.

I'm the guy that taught him how to shoot.
One of the 2.5" or 4" 66's, the 4" M19, or the 4" 686+.

Any one of those would work and I've got El Paso or Galco holsters that will fit all of them.

I'm the guy that taught him how to shoot.

LOL!
THAT explains how he could see that balloon at 1000 yards to hit it with his revolver.

(I guess YouTube blocks these videos on Jerry now. It connects with the preview, but won't post.)

True, but don't sell The Fire short. A good number of the guys commenting above and elsewhere are not exactly "Light weighs".
Originally Posted by local_dirt
One of the 2.5" or 4" 66's, the 4" M19, or the 4" 686+.

Any one of those would work and I've got El Paso or Galco holsters that will fit all of them.

Yep, I could make do with a snubby 19 or 66, no problem.
Based on a sample of one I tried in a store those King Cobras have a very, very nice double action pull, plus they hold 20% more ammo than the 5 shooters. One of those would be a very viable option but if you go with one of the 4" adjustable sight versions be prepared to spend upwards of $1000. One of those is sitting at $1525 current bid on gunbroker with 9 hours left to go. It looks like Colt recently changed them to use a front night sight and Hogue grips instead of a fiber optic front and wooden grips and apparently the gunbroker market isn't as interested.
You probably won’t find a better one than the 66 you mention. But a 3” Ruger would be nice too

True, but don't sell The Fire short. A good number of the guys commenting above and elsewhere are not exactly "Light weighs".

No doubt.

Are we talking about experience or BMI?

wink
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Are we talking about experience or BMI?

wink

Alcohol tolerance , duh

Regurgitation is maximized however. That surpasses the High Point for ugly. I have a stainless S&W mountain gun in .41 magnum that I'd carry if I couldn't carry my Springfield EMP.
Smith 642.....I pocket carry every now and then. Otherwise it's my Sig P365

Didn't read the thread yet, just your question. Hard to not talk politics because the question you're asking has a political or at least, legal basis.

For one thing, you can ignore the law. It's unlikely you'll need a gun anyway and if you do, you face the immediate threat with even the threat of jail for some bs charge, fading into the background if you actually have to deploy your weapon.

That said, I don't think a revolver is much of a handicap. What I'd carry would depend on the level of concealment I wanted. Where I live, Constitutional Carry rules so you don't have to worry about printing and stuff like that as far as scaring the snowflakes and getting charged with something for it. Concealment is exactly that, concealing it from the bad guys so they don't know you have a gun. It is different.

Of the guns I currently have, I'd carry my wife's Colt Magnum Carry (a Detective Special chambered for .357 Mag.). If not limited to my current arsenal, I'd get a S&W Chief's Special. I would load either of them with the FBI/Treasury load of .38 Spec. I would carry a speedloader or two for reloads. If not worried about medium concealment, I'd simply carry my Governor loaded alternately with .410 anti-personnnel loads and 45 Colt's.
I've got a couple DA 357s that would still work well.

A later model Security Six, with the heavier barrel. I think Bill Jordan was involved with Ruger in some of the finer points of this revolver,

For a lightweight option, the Ruger LCRx,
S&W Model 66-1 with 2 1/2" barrel.
Originally Posted by EdM

Ed;

All the best to you all.

Dwayne

Apart from the adjustable sights, similar to my Ruger Speed Six (my first handgun, purchased new in 1980).

[Linked Image]

Hawkeye;
Good afternoon - in your part of the world I see - I hope the day's being a good one for you.

Thanks for the reply and photo of your old Speed Six, it's a fine looking piece of ordnance for sure.

While I was aware they made a shorter Speed Six, somehow I didn't know about the Security Six or if I did that bit of information had vanished from the memory banks.

This one is a similar vintage to yours I believe. I bought it in Oroville, WA in '84 I believe it was, along with the Bianchi holster. Since it's mine, it's been much modified since then.

[Linked Image]

Shooting 158gr SWC wheel weight bullets I was able to hit stuff fairly far away range plinking with it, but again we're not trusted with carrying them up here so it's an academic discussion for me. wink

Thanks again and stay well.

Dwayne
If I was expecting trouble and had to carry only a pistol, I'd carry a Judge, Public Defender or Governor loaded with self-defense rounds. Otherwise for everyday carry a S&W Air weight.
F u c k it. After reading the first three pages of the thread I'm convinced that only the Raging Judge in 454 will do.

BC30cal, are you permitted to carry a handgun while hunting, fishing, hiking, backpacking, or camping? In Florida, you don't even need a license to do that.
I must have read too much Elmer Keith, but my choice would be either a 5 shot 44 Special or one of the 44 Mag mountain guns loaded with Specials. Recovery time would be much quicker in case more than one shot is needed. Before the panic, Georgia Arms made some 200gr Speer Gold Dot loads @825fps from 2 1/2" barrel & WW has 200gr Silvertips @725fps.

Dont forget that 357s without hearing protection are on the edge of madness. WHAT DID HE SAY?
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

+1 44 special. Mine is Taurus 445 TI in 44 special, 225swcgc hard cast at ~850 fps. Handy revolver, I like the ribber grips too. The ported 2" bbl don't make sense though.
BC30cal, are you permitted to carry a handgun while hunting, fishing, hiking, backpacking, or camping? In Florida, you don't even need a license to do that.

Hawkeye;
Good afternoon again.

No we're not permitted to use handguns anywhere other than at an approved range. They're required to be unloaded, trigger or cable locked and in a locked container when transported to and from the range.

There are or better said were a few wilderness guides who applied for and received carry permits when guiding, but they were hit and miss to obtain at best.

It's yet another vexing issue stemming from having rules made by people who have no concept of what it's like in the wilderness or even in rural areas for that matter. Worse still, they've no inclination to learn.

Anyways, that's what we deal with up here and no, it's not palatable or equitable.

All the best regardless.

Dwayne
Partial to K frames for carry in 2.5 or 3 inch

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
I usually carry my Commander in 45 acp. Sometimes I carry my Cimarron SA birdshead 45 Colt with 3" barrel in an owb concealment holster
Originally Posted by RAS
Smith Model 638.

I carry that right now. I like the option of shorting single action for accuracy and double action for follow ups.

If I get a bead using single action, I am going to hit the target where I want. Practiced it for many years.
I always cock the hammer when I draw, it's a habit. The first shot counts the most.
Lcrx 3”

The 38 is quite light. It’d be uber if they did a 3” 327 mag with a 7 round cylinder.
My Colt Python or whatever Sagebrush Mckay suggests.
I noted several references including from the original poster regarding “real” sights and what seems a dismissive attitude towards fixed sights.

A good fixed sight revolver is very smooth and Very functional as a defensive weapon. Very good work can be done with fixed sights in this role and are not really lacking on the target range when paired with a load that shoots to those sights.
Adjustable sights are more fragile (some) and more prone to sharp edges and snagging.

Try them before you dismiss them. I have won more than one shoot off using a fixed sight Smith even when going against full on competition pistols.
Les

You are correct. From what I understand the Colt Lightning was somewhat fragile and tended to break. Hard to find one in good working condition and they are highly prized if found. Cimarron has used this as a marketing gimmick and advertises the single action Lightning as " the gun Colt should have made". This gun has the firing pin in the frame but I don't think it has a hammer block so I carry five rounds. They also make the Thunderer which is a full size SA revolver with the Colt style firing pin on the hammer. I think it is all about marketing.
Good question and very observent.
I've owned at least two original Colt Lightnings. They are indeed very prone to breakage. The new ones are based on completely different guns. The Thunderer is a Colt SAA clone with a birdshead grip whereas the old Thunderer was simply the old Lightening in 41 Colt instead of 38 Colt, a much smaller gun and double action as opposed to single action, as you cite. The new Lightening type guns are "Scout" size SAA's like a Colt Frontier Scout .22 and much smaller than the SAA based new Thunderer. They are still just single actions and not a double action mechanism, but are much more petite than a full SAA. Evidently Uberti thought they were robust enough for 38 Spec.'s but I doubt they should be shot with anything approaching a +P load in that caliber. I was thinking that at one time, they were available in 32 H&R Mag. also and of course, they're available in 22 RF.
Another vote for a K frame. This is a 4" 66 in a Milt Sparks crossdraw.

A charter bulldog
Another vote for a 4" smith. My wife's 686 is smooth.
All the dancing on the head of a pin (Smith vs. Ruger vs. Colt vs. Taurus, .357 vs. .38 vs. .44 etc...) makes for lots of pages of back and forth and gives people the chance to show off pictures of their carry revolvers and rigs, but what it really boils down to is this:

Carry the largest caliber and barrel configuration you can conceal under the clothes you're wearing and you can handle the recoil well enough to draw and fire five rounds into a torso-sized target at 10' in 5 seconds.

For some, that may be a 3" SP101 in .327 Federal. For others, it might be a 6" Model 29 in .44 magnum, but I doubt it.

Every person has a different skill level and a different requirement for concealment. Concealment challenges will vary due to different outside temperatures. What works in January may not be good for July.

I personally prefer a lightweight Smith J-Frame in my right front pants pocket, loaded with subsonic 145 grain wadcutters. It's good for year round concealment, won't rupture your eardrums, and I can empty it accurately enough in about three seconds if need be.
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

Regurgitation is maximized however. That surpasses the High Point for ugly. I have a stainless S&W mountain gun in .41 magnum that I'd carry if I couldn't carry my Springfield EMP.

.45 Colt Mountain Guns would be my next choice after what I posted above. After them, a .45 acp S&W 625-2 Model of 1988 that shoots incredibly well.
3" SP101 in 357mag

This. Often carry mine while working here around the property. 2 rounds of CCI snake shot and 3 140gr Barnes XPB.
If I gotta run somewhere its reloaded from a speedloader with 38+p 130 HST in warmer seasons and in Winter coat season its 2 357 Speer Golddots then 3 hard cast flat nose.
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
Carry the largest caliber and barrel configuration you can conceal under the clothes you're wearing and you can handle the recoil well enough to draw and fire five rounds into a torso-sized target at 10' in 5 seconds.

Not much of a standard. The OP could do that with the S&W Model 500, but I doubt he's lookin to EDC three and a half pounds of steel plus 2 reloads.
S&W 340... it's light so I carry it. Heck if they made something lighter in .38 I'd buy one.

Actually was interested in the Taurus View when it was released but it only lasted a year. I think the idea was sound for an EDC revolver...other than the gimicky plastic piece.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Smith 360 air weight 357 magnum. Super lite and use can use 357 mag or 38 in it. I got one with a 3 inch barrel.

That would be hard to beat. Or one of the S&W Model 60’s with the 3” barrel in 357 mag with adjustable sights.

My second and third choices would be a S&W Model 66 with the 3” barrel or a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 with the 3” bbl.
S&W 432PD 6 shot or Charter Arms Pro, 32 H&R, 7 shot.
A small .38, of course.
S&W 38 special 3"

Or

Taurus model 85 in 38 special, 3"

If your guns are heavy, you are not apt to carry it. If you carry an ultra light in 357 practice at 10 yards a LOT!

Carry a reload and practice reloading.

Most people shooting 2" smiths can not hit a bull in the azz with a base fiddle

and the 357 mag version are pretty much noise makers, very, very difficult to shoot

IDPA has matches where wheel guns are used...dang...one match and you learn just how useless some of these guns are.

Remeber, two hits on target with a lesser caliber are better than six sprayed all over with an ultra light magnum. 12 lb triggers make for great noise makers...that is about it.

Chances are if you ever need the pistol, you are going to be scared schittless!! You will not remember to watch the front sight, and you will be pulling the trigger so fast in the direction of the perp, you may not hit anything. TRAIN for success!

Few if any posting here have ever been robbed or beat up during a robbery.
I would pick this one,38 spcl. 6 shot, 17oz. night sights

3rd Gen. Colt SAA.
Lots of choices here, some I wouldn’t carry. They would be, for me, to large for concealment. But fine woods or ranch revolvers.
For me, there is only one choice. The revolver I have been using since 1974, S&W M66 4” with any holster that works for you. Along with speed loaders or speed strips.
This revolver and it brother, the model 19 have been getting it done for decades.

Originally Posted by High_Noon
3rd Gen. Colt SAA.

I’ve actually carried mine in 45 LC a time or two as my CCW. 🤠

Originally Posted by RGK

This works if you have to keep a low profile. I still carry this daily in retirement. Preferable (to me) to a semi, but I'm not expecting a reinforced Haji rifle squad.

Curious about the taped grip. Throw down like The Godfather bathroom stashed piece? wink
Originally Posted by irfubar

Looks good, but I’ve never owned a Taurus Revolver that I thought reliable enough to bet my life on. Every one I’ve ever owned would hang up every so often when cocking the hammer or pulling the trigger in double action mode.

Their small automatics I’ve owned, have however been very reliable.
3” Smith 66 is the sweet spot for me, but any of the 2.5, 3 or 4” K frames would serve well.
I regularly pack my S&W 396 Mountain Lite titanium .44 spcl about everywhere.

I traded a S&W 629 for this gun here at the fire almost ten years ago and still feel like I got the better end of that one.
For daily carry 'light is right'....
As we speak I've got a Colt Detective Special on my belt. Truth is I am so enamored with EDC revolvers I could carry a different one everyday for a while. My hands down favorite is a 3" Ruger SP101. I don't like the original grips and I'm big enough to carry mine with better grips. I always have a C/A Bulldog 44 Special close by. I've carried a couple of variations of the Ruger LCR many a day. And I'm old enough to have spent a lot of time with Ruger Six Series whether, Speed Six, Service Six, or Security six all of which are 2-3/4" except for the postal model which is 3".

That brings up, "How much sight radius would you want? I'm talking in terms of fighting back against a determined attacker." As tanker jockey said don't discount them till you try them. It's amazing how well they can be shot. Course I also like S&W's including and especially the S&W 66's with the 2-1/2" barrel if you just have to have "real" sights. Plenty to be said about the 3" Ruger GP's of those I prefer the 44 Special as well
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

That brings up, "How much sight radius would you want? I'm talking in terms of fighting back against a determined attacker."

I'm still sorting that one out.

I like the larger grip of the 66. Right now I'm leaning toward buying a 3" or 4" 66. If not, then just schlepping the 2.5" 66.
101 -357

That brings up, "How much sight radius would you want? I'm talking in terms of fighting back against a determined attacker."

I like the larger grip of the 66. Right now I'm leaning toward buying a 3" or 4" 66. If not, then just schlepping the 2.5" 66.
You really think you'd gain much if you went from a 2 1/2" to a 3" or even a 4"? I can see wanting the 4" with a square butt. At this point in time though, you could probably just order some grips that would simulate the square buttedness of the older 4" guns, if that is your desire. Personally, I can see buying one to gain 1/2" or 1 1/2" in sight radius and velocity. If it's just getting another gun, then go for it, as it sounds like money is no object. Personally, I ALWAYS consider the money and would continue to do so even if I hit the Powerball.

Check out the Governor. It is slightly larger than your gun but surprisingly light and you're gonna gain the ability to go with a bunch of different rounds. The right holster, and it is almost as concealable especially during times of heavier attire.
Originally Posted by tankerjockey
I noted several references including from the original poster regarding “real” sights and what seems a dismissive attitude towards fixed sights.

A good fixed sight revolver is very smooth and Very functional as a defensive weapon. Very good work can be done with fixed sights in this role and are not really lacking on the target range when paired with a load that shoots to those sights.
Adjustable sights are more fragile (some) and more prone to sharp edges and snagging.

Try them before you dismiss them. I have won more than one shoot off using a fixed sight Smith even when going against full on competition pistols.
Les

I agree completely. I've carried a few revolvers over the decades, and all of them were fixed sighted. No problems hitting my targets.

This was the last one I carried a lot before switching to Glocks, a Model 13. I can shoot the heck out of it.

[Linked Image]

3" mdl 65
For a revolver, I carry the S&W Model 67-1 with the 4" barrel....They call it the "Distinguished Combat Masterpiece". My Dad carried a 6-inch Model 19 for about 15 years as his duty weapon before he switched to semi-auto's. i now have that revolver and it is sweet. The 67 is basically the same thing with 2" less barrel.
686, seven shot.
If that were the case I would love to have a smith 66 or 19
Not good for concealment but who cares if you know your gona need it.
3" 357 or charter pug 44spl
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

You really think you'd gain much if you went from a 2 1/2" to a 3" or even a 4"? I can see wanting the 4" with a square butt. At this point in time though, you could probably just order some grips that would simulate the square buttedness of the older 4" guns, if that is your desire. Personally, I can see buying one to gain 1/2" or 1 1/2" in sight radius and velocity. If it's just getting another gun, then go for it, as it sounds like money is no object. Personally, I ALWAYS consider the money and would continue to do so even if I hit the Powerball.

Check out the Governor. It is slightly larger than your gun but surprisingly light and you're gonna gain the ability to go with a bunch of different rounds. The right holster, and it is almost as concealable especially during times of heavier attire.

It is not a big gain in velocity or in sight radius going from a 2” or 2.5 in barrel to a 3” .. The bigger difference is with a 3” you also gain a full length ejector rod to aid in fully ejecting spent cases and in turn, a much cleaner and faster reload.
There are a lot of small nuances in using and getting the most return from carrying a revolver. There are some notable advantages even, but you have to work at it and commit to it.
Les
M-13 or M-65 S&W with either a 3" or 4" barrel.
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
M-13 or M-65 S&W with either a 3" or 4" barrel.

Either is a damn fine choice!
3" model 13 for EDC for myself
There's a mdl 19 converted to 327 by Bowen on gunbroker right now. If its a 7 shot that would be a damn good carry gun

It is not a big gain in velocity or in sight radius going from a 2” or 2.5 in barrel to a 3” .. The bigger difference is with a 3” you also gain a full length ejector rod to aid in fully ejecting spent cases and in turn, a much cleaner and faster reload.
There are a lot of small nuances in using and getting the most return from carrying a revolver. There are some notable advantages even, but you have to work at it and commit to it.
Les

Savvy advice for sure...
Winter time around here I’ve been toting a Smith Thunder Ranch model 22. 4” light tapered barrel, 45auto, wood grips with a Tyler t adapter. Changed out front sight blade to a ramp as I can pick it up better.

Keep it loaded with 225gr hard cast wad cutters in ACP brass and moon clips and the reloads are 230gr gold dot loaded +p in 45 auto rim brass in hks speedloaders.

Find myself packing a revolver more than anything. Good leather makes it easy.
S&W 442, nice small gun,concealment is easy, I have bigger revolvers, but I find I carry the 442 most of the time. You are better off with a smaller gun than a huge one that is left at home because it is too bulky.
The 4 inch, 66 would be a great choice as well.
4" Colt Diamondback in a shoulder holster or an OTW. I carry a couple of speed loaders when I can stick them in a jacket pocket. I have a 4" model 19 but it is just a bit more bulky. I wish I would of kept my Charter Arms Bulldog. 3" of rock and roll.

kwg
Kimber K6S 3". 6 shots in a J-frame sized package.

Thanks!

You might like the S&W 337-1. 3" barrel, excellent sights. I have one. Nice gun.
Google 337-1 to see a picture. They are hard to come by, but available on occasion if you look.

Well:

1.) Since size isn't a concern for you (up to a point)

2.) Since you seem to be leaning towards this scenario being somewhat likely for you (as opposed to a lot of us who don't, and thus we lean towards a lightweight 5 shot revolver, just in case)

3.) And since I personally like the feel of a S&W action...

I believe if I were in your shoes, I'd give some strong consideration to the 7 shot S&W 686 for the extra round- like the poster a few slots above me suggested.
All S&W K frames: 2.5" Model 19, 4" Model 17-6, 4.25" Model 686, 4.25" Model 69.

Probably the 19 gets the nod, if I could carry.
[quote=Cariboujack]

There's a preacher in WV that is blessed to live in a community where he can even carry his Governor into the bank without raising an eyebrow.

THIS Gov... https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/governor

NOT this gov....https://www.howtallis.org/jim-justice-height-weight-shoe-size/

Those few extra ounces between those two models makes a difference.
Is there any other choice than a Smith 4" 29-2 (or older)? Just ask Elmer! wink
S&W model 60, 3” 357 with moderate loads or model 637, 38 with Speer short barrel 135 Gold Dots. Both with laser grips.
I carried a 3" SP101 in a Sparks VMII for a while just before the mini-9 revolution in the early 2010s. It was a nice package and I used Buffalo Bore .38 Special +P 158 grain LSWCHP.

I also had a S&W 325 Night Guard that was nice, in the same model holster, that went down the road.

Of course, you are going to want a backup, right?

NAA Pug .22 WMR

One more vote for the S&W 66. I have a twin to the revolver below, along with several speed loaders.

Originally Posted by TwoEyedJack
Another vote for a K frame. This is a 4" 66 in a Milt Sparks crossdraw.

Mod 19

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
Mod 19

[Linked Image]

Love this pic..... says, been there done that

Les

Exactly, (I forget that a guy has to fully explain himself here.) I was thinking 3" for the full length ejector, but a 4" because it's more in focus for my eyes. My near vision is starting to go, and every bit helps. Who knows, in a year or two, maybe I won't be able to see ANY iron sights, but today, a smidge more distance does make a difference.
I put a Meprolight front sight on my SP 101 2.25" .357. I have others I carry but that will be the absolute last one I part with. Smiths are cool but Rugers feel like a bank vault.
Originally Posted by roof
686, seven shot.

That's a fine idea!
Either a Security six in 4 inch, or a Smith 13, 3 inch with round butt. Have had both, shouldn't have gotten rid of either one, but either would get the job done for me.
Originally Posted by acy
Either a Security six in 4 inch, or a Smith 13, 3 inch with round butt. Have had both, shouldn't have gotten rid of either one, but either would get the job done for me.

Those old Ruger Security Six And Speed Six Revolvers are great old guns and highly underrated. Not quite as slick an action as the S&W Revolvers, but hell for stout and as reliable as any Revolver ever made.

I’d love to find a reasonably priced 3” barreled Security Six or Speed Six in Stainless or Blue!
Anything in between the J-frame Smiths and Ruger LCR to 2-1/2” through 4” Smith K-frames and Security Six and SP-101.
Originally Posted by roof
686, seven shot.

That's a fine idea!

Those are nice. S&W 686+ Deluxe 3" Mine has had the lock removed and hole plugged. Interestingly I haven't even shot mine.
4 inch Colt Police Positive 38 in a Heiser 416 holster with 146 gr lead RN. 2 inch group at 10 yards between the eyes. Most comfortable revolver I've ever shot.
Originally Posted by irfubar

That's the Taurus 856 Ultra-Lite, isn't it? A good suggestion.
S&W Mod 25,,4",, when I'm packing a pistol.
.44 Special Bulldog - relative lightweight and packs a punch

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
.44 Special Bulldog - relative lightweight and packs a punch

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hard to beat there, OO ! And definitely would be my second choice after my 3” S&W Model 66.

Les

Here's an excellent article about ejector rod length.
https://revolverguy.com/ejector-rod-length/

Most likely the Colt Detective special I already own. (1971 production)

Packed in my Galco Hornet cross draw holster.

If buying another just for "social work" it would be a 3" S&W Model 13

Virgil B.
Any of these 66's. Clockwise: -2, -1, -1, no dash.

This 19-3.

Or this 686+.

I tote a S&W 360 in my pocket every day. Loaded with 135gr gold dots 38+p
I carry a 360 J regularly in my front pocket. I have the option of a 21/2 in. 66 and a 4 in. Hasbeen
These would work as well.

This 19-3.

Or this 686+.

Very nice.

I like that 686.
antelope sniper;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking to be a good one for you and all in your world who matter are well.

I've always liked the L frame stainless S&W revolvers as well. At one time a relative had one that I shot a bit and it was smoother than my Security Six before it was worked over for sure.

Before they went to being issued a .40 Glock, the BC Conservation Officers carried a fixed sight 4" L frame - stainless - so a 581 I believe it is?

They were well thought of by the CO's, though they didn't use them for much other than qualifying annually.

All the best to you all as we head into spring.

Dwayne
Looks like this thread has turned into more of a boasting board than anything else.
And, if you post a picture saying "this should work", why don't you give some useful information about what your "this" is.
Looks like this thread has turned into more of a boasting board than anything else.
And, if you post a picture saying "this should work", why don't you give some useful information about what your "this" is.
I like my 442
This:

OR

[Linked Image from images.guns.com]

This 19-3.

Or this 686+.

Very nice.

I like that 686.

Those S&W's would be about my only choice as they apply to the OP...

That said, a M66 2 1/2" firing magnums in a small, confined area is the reason my ears ring like do today, 30 some odd years later.

After I got out of law enforcement, I got rid of any .357 magnums I had, and have not owned another since.

Whenever I carry now, it's a 1911. Always.
Smith 696 in .44 special. 3" roundbutt L frame. Carried one for a while with CCI 200 grain Gold Dots, around 1,000 fps IIRC. Aluminum cases made them affordable enough to practice with too.

Solid gun but easy enough to carry, no hammer shroud but I just covered it with my thumb on the draw.
I could shoot it decently in fast double action, plenty good enough for close range. Gun is mechanically accurate as well.
Not a lot of recoil (or muzzle flash in dim light), but I'll bet its very effective for self defense.
My EDC is a no dash S & W 649 with 2 speed strips left front pocket. IWB
holster.I do my walk,my errands,etc.Not the lightest snub nosed,but it feels right and shoots right,at least for me.
Originally Posted by EdM
These would work as well.

Good stuff Ed !!!
Originally Posted by kragman1
Smith 696 in .44 special. 3" roundbutt L frame. Carried one for a while with CCI 200 grain Gold Dots, around 1,000 fps IIRC. Aluminum cases made them affordable enough to practice with too.

Solid gun but easy enough to carry, no hammer shroud but I just covered it with my thumb on the draw.
I could shoot it decently fast double action, plenty good enough for close range. Gun is mechanically accurate as well.
Not a lot of recoil (or muzzle flash in dim light), but I'll bet its very effective for self defense.

We closed those out for $399 for the last run of those when I was in the Wholesale Firearms Industry! Man was I ever stupid for not buying a couple of them! 😢
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

These are guns that I own, and I would use.. as answering the OP's post.

Just so happens I have pics of them, too.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

If not, or when in doubt, STFU.

Lol.

Originally Posted by rockinbbar

This 19-3.

Or this 686+.

Very nice.

I like that 686.

Those S&W's would be about my only choice as they apply to the OP...

That said, a M66 2 1/2" firing magnums in a small, confined area is the reason my ears ring like do today, 30 some odd years later.

After I got out of law enforcement, I got rid of any .357 magnums I had, and have not owned another since.

Whenever I carry now, it's a 1911. Always.

Nothing wrong with a 1911 at all.
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

Thanks!

You might like the S&W 337-1. 3" barrel, excellent sights. I have one. Nice gun.
Google 337-1 to see a picture. They are hard to come by, but available on occasion if you look.

Rambo?
Ruger Security 6 .357 4 inch. It's about the right balance of size, weight and cartridge if a revolver is the requirement.
I sometimes carry a S&W 351Pd in 22 mag. I like the light weight and 7 shots. I load it with 40g gold dot SB ammo. It's the only load that expands from the short barrel.

I thought I was going to have to use it yesterday when 2 pit bulls ran into my yard towards my kids while they were playing. My pointy haired wired griffon ran them off into the neighbors yard before I could get a shot. I'm tired of the free ranging pit bills in my neighborhood. There are 2 different pairs that run around.

I also have a 360 pd in 357 that's about the same size and weight but only 5 shot. I carry the rem 125 golden Saber 357 load in it because it's not a full power 357 but hotter than any 38. It's still manageable in an 11 ounce gun.

Bb
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I sometimes carry a S&W 351Pd in 22 mag. I like the light weight and 7 shots. I load it with 40g gold dot SB ammo. It's the only load that expands from the short barrel.

I thought I was going to have to use it yesterday when 2 pit bulls ran into my yard towards my kids while they were playing. My pointy haired wired griffon ran them off into the neighbors yard before I could get a shot. I'm tired of the free ranging pit bills in my neighborhood. There are 2 different pairs that run around.

I also have a 360 pd in 357 that's about the same size and weight but only 5 shot. I carry the rem 125 golden Saber 357 load in it because it's not a full power 357 but hotter than any 38. It's still manageable in an 11 ounce gun.

Bb

You need to get a 22 short. It is near silent. It will dispatch those bulls, no problem. The dogs are not running around, they are hunting. It's in their DNA. It will be a service to the community.
I recently sold or traded my snub nose revolvers. I had a nice Colt Detective Special with real ivory grips that I sold a year or two ago and I traded my S&W model 36 (no dash) to my best friend (and neighbor). The model 36 I traded to him for a Remington 788 in .308 with a Leupold 3-9 (which I traded to him several years ago 😁) and his Ruger Security 9. I threw in a bunch of ammo for him, mostly .38spcl along with several hundred rounds of .40s/w.

He and I are always horse trading and for years he’s wanted my model 36 but that was what my wife carried and shot well. She had borrowed the Security 9 for a trial period for a couple months and really liked it. She shot it very well and didn’t mind the extra weight in her purse, having 30rds available between the pistol and 1 reload beat the hell out of 10rds. for the 36.

Now that I don’t have a suitable EDC in a revolver and in the spirit of the OP’s question......I am the kind of guy that wants my guns to be able to do “double duty” if possible. I would like for my EDC to be legal for hunting in this state. In order for it to be legal it must have a 4” barrel and be a minimum of 6mm so I have plenty of options however I’ve always wanted a 4” S&W 329 so I think I’ll look for one when I get back from vacation.
3" S&W Model 13.
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
3" S&W Model 13.

Bingo. The perfect, everyday, concealed carry, revolver. It hits every consideration right in the Goldilocks zone. It's the Glock 19 of revolvers.

[Linked Image]
antelope sniper;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking to be a good one for you and all in your world who matter are well.

I've always liked the L frame stainless S&W revolvers as well. At one time a relative had one that I shot a bit and it was smoother than my Security Six before it was worked over for sure.

Before they went to being issued a .40 Glock, the BC Conservation Officers carried a fixed sight 4" L frame - stainless - so a 581 I believe it is?

They were well thought of by the CO's, though they didn't use them for much other than qualifying annually.

All the best to you all as we head into spring.

Dwayne

Dwayne,
Happy Monday to you as well.
It would of been nice to get in one the sale when they surplused those 581's. Like an Italian army rifle I'm sure they were barely fired, but in contrast never dropped. whistle
I thought that referred to the French not Italians.
"Dropped once but never fired"
686 Plus 3”. Or Mountain Gun in .44 mag.
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by RGK

Curious about the taped grip. Throw down like The Godfather bathroom stashed piece? wink

No, it's not a "throwdown". Never had to plant anything on the people I arrested (or shot). This 442 has a set of plastic stocks on it that give a better grip, but are very slick, especially in hot, humid weather. The solution was the sticky electrician's tape, which also helped secure the revolver in my back pocket when I was buying narcotics. I never carried it in a holster or carried extra ammo when I was buying; cops wear nice holsters and carry spare ammo, bad guys don't. Plus, the tape made the gun look like a crook's stolen gun. That impression worked a couple of times when the 442 was spotted. I didn't purchase any dope those times, but I didn't have to fight, either.
Bob

Originally Posted by SS336
Lots of choices here, some I wouldn’t carry. They would be, for me, to large for concealment. But fine woods or ranch revolvers.
For me, there is only one choice. The revolver I have been using since 1974, S&W M66 4” with any holster that works for you. Along with speed loaders or speed strips.
This revolver and it brother, the model 19 have been getting it done for decades.

Very nice appearance. Did you give the gun a polishing job?

BTW, did you take that picture with the additional help of a light box?

This 19-3.

Or this 686+.

Do you carry these M66/M19-square butted revolvers with target grips as a concealed weapon? Or do you generally practise open carry?
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith

This 19-3.

Or this 686+.

Do you carry these M66/M19-square butted revolvers with target grips as a concealed weapon? Or do you generally practise open carry?

I don't carry any of them, usually. I have carried a couple of the 2.5" 66's and the 4" 686+ on rare occasions.

I listed them as response to OP's question: If you HAD to carry a revolver for EDC...
Local, nice very nice. Functional as it gets, those who have never owned or used short barreled k's don't really understand what they have missed . Karry on LD your values are solid and in good taste. Mb
So many great choices and I'm not a Smith guy. just askin for a friend.
Originally Posted by Starman
I thought that referred to the French not Italians.
"Dropped once but never fired"

During WWI the French Fighting men acquitted themselves extremely well. The bulk of the Fighting and Dying on the Western Front was paid in French blood. WWII, were very different.

Look at the Italian adventures in Africa, from the 20's all the way thought WWII. They turned in some real miserable performances against some real backwater countries, which is why it's also applied to the Italian's as well.
The myth of French cowardice has been so ingrained into our culture I'm afraid there's no fixing it. That's how the great (and ignorant) unwashed get brainwashed.

As mentioned, the French fought as good as anyone else during WWI, only to be crushed by a combined arms 20th century army whilst they were practicing 19th century and or WWI tactics. People forget what the French did under Napoleon I, who won more battles by a significant margin than even the most ablest German general.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
The myth of French cowardice has been so ingrained into our culture I'm afraid there's no fixing it. That's how the great (and ignorant) unwashed get brainwashed.

As mentioned, the French fought as good as anyone else during WWI, only to be crushed by a combined arms 20th century army whilst they were practicing 19th century and or WWI tactics. People forget what the French did under Napoleon I, who won more battles by a significant margin than even the most ablest German general.

Roger that. The French held the perimeter and beat up the Germans while the British evacuated Dunkirk. The French Army now is as good as any. Their spec ops guys are some of the best.
I got out of the revolvers several years ago BUT liked some of them.
The only revolver I have today is an el cheapo 8 shot DA, 22 lr that I inherited.

IF I HAD to carry a revolver for EDC -- SS336's 4" 66 would be a top contender (no pun) for me.

[quote=SS336]
For me, there is only one choice. The revolver I have been using since 1974, S&W M66 4” ....

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Another top contender would be a GP 100, 4"
Nothing wrong with a 66...kinda big, though.
Bob

Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

Not if it's a snubby with round butt frame. Those are ideal for all day carry IWB.

[Linked Image from images.gunsinternational.com]
Elmer Keith,
“Very nice appearance. Did you give the gun a polishing job?”

Over the years, a couple. 😁 pictures can hide a few scratches pretty easily.

“BTW, did you take that picture with the additional help of a light box?”

No, just on a table, by a window, with my iPhone 6

SS
My Bulldog, usually loaded with 200 grain HP's .
If you have big hands, All round butt Smiths are tough to shoot until you add rubber grips.
Once you've added rubber grips you're outside the realm of small.
Round butt with stock grips is for hideout - not general use.
Originally Posted by kenster99
My Bulldog, usually loaded with 200 grain HP's .
Love the Bulldog. Wanted one when I was a kid. They had a square butt model with an ejector rod housing, they called the "Target Bulldog". It was a neat looking gun. Later, up in the 80's, for all I could figure out, they eliminated that model and only had the 3" model sans ejector rod housing. The old Target model with its wooden grips looked really good. IIRC, supposedly still around 20 oz. unloaded.
For true cc revolver I carry...637, 638, 642. My 642 has crimson trace grips. To me, this option let's me carry two...one in the pocket and one on the belt because they are so light.

I have many other revolvers, but the weight gives way to grabbing them when walking out the door to cc for the day.

But if I knew I or someone in my family was a specific target...then I'd glock 26 it and then discuss appropriate firearms carry after the chalk lines are drawn.

-LW
I had a Model 60 w bobbed hammer a couple of yrs.
Buddy has a Scandium J in .357.
Its a beast w Corbons

Way back when money was tight and I had only one handgun, it was a 629-1 4".

I miss that rig frown

In todays crazy world, id rather have an auto of doublestack mag.
I am looking at the SP101 4.25" for a little trail rig ( no bear area ).
2.5" 66, 3" 65 or the PC 640.
This is my model 60, 3" barrel. It carries better than the 3" mdl 65 i posted earlier. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by hookeye
I am looking at the SP101 4.25" for a little trail rig ( no bear area ).

I've had one for many years and I think they are a good fit for a trail gun.... enough barrel for a 357, good sight radius, just heavy enough to be comfortable with 357 but not so heavy to be uncomfortable to carry, slim and trim, built strong.... great little revolver.
Originally Posted by b_li_ber_tar_ian
This is my model 60, 3" barrel. It carries better than the 3" mdl 65 i posted earlier. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I've got the same gun in Scandium/Titanium with fiber optic sights. Feels like a potato chip. Mine is limited to Plus P .38 Special, though.
I have a 5 shot S&W with the internal hammer.

The 38 should be enough at the ranges that most shoots happen.
I don't carry it, but a LCRx .38 rides in the console. Hogue extended grip helps. It's not a S&W but it works.
Originally Posted by Nollij
I don't carry it, but a LCRx .38 rides in the console. Hogue extended grip helps. It's not a S&W but it works.

I picked up a used lcrx in 38 a few years ago for a good price. I thought I might not like it having a 360 pd and a 351pd I sometimes carry. However the lcrx really shoots quite well and has a nice double action pull.

I have a 3" sp101 in 357 for my wife to carry hiking, camping, and fishing but it's heavier than she likes for just walking the dog. I'm going to work up a load for the speer 158g lead swchp for the lcrx and get my wife practicing with it. She can carry the lcrx around town and the sp101 in the woods.

I'd actually really like a 3" lcrx in 327 mag 6 shot of they make one. I had a 3" sp101 in 327 for a while and it was great but someone offered me a bunch of money for it during a time they were no longer making them.

Bb
Of the few revolvers I own, this is the most concealment, so it would probably be my choice, even though it's a lowly Taurus. 😉 5 shot .44 Special, model 431.
An old Model 15 S&W with 4” barrel, belongs to a friend, wouldn’t be a slacker at all. Add some hard cast powder coated wadcutters at high standard pressures. Easy to shoot and poke a hole thru & thru.
one i have had for 21 years i believe.sp101,357 magnun.2.25" barrel.
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Of the few revolvers I own, this is the most concealment, so it would probably be my choice, even though it's a lowly Taurus. 😉 5 shot .44 Special, model 431.

These are great guns. I've had some, can't believe I let them get away.
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by RGK

No, it's not a "throwdown". Never had to plant anything on the people I arrested (or shot). This 442 has a set of plastic stocks on it that give a better grip, but are very slick, especially in hot, humid weather. The solution was the sticky electrician's tape, which also helped secure the revolver in my back pocket when I was buying narcotics. I never carried it in a holster or carried extra ammo when I was buying; cops wear nice holsters and carry spare ammo, bad guys don't. Plus, the tape made the gun look like a crook's stolen gun. That impression worked a couple of times when the 442 was spotted. I didn't purchase any dope those times, but I didn't have to fight, either.
Bob

Wrapping tape around the grip works.

I use hockey tape. Along with various pieces of material over the years on the backstrap to help mitigate the recoil from shooting it a bunch.

People who see it in person often comment about its unconventional looks until they handle it. Then the lightbulb comes on. Shooting it really is educational compared to a non modified one, especially during a long session.

I have over 5 K rounds through this J Frame in the last 20+ years. Only replaced a broken firing pin (so far).

I don't carry it as a primary, but it is rarely far away.

A fresh wrap of hockey tape and it is Good to Go!

Two fingers???

How do you hang on to the sonofabitching thing?
And J Frames can shoot better than people give them credit for.

At 21 feet you can drive tacks with one, with a bit of practice.

A J Frame would not be my choice of a daily carry gun. BTW. I was simply commenting in reference to the above posts.
I do okay single action....but cant do anything like that double action.
W Bill makes some cool Speed Strips carriers.
Charter Arms .44 Special Bulldog
[Linked Image]

Charter Arms .45 ACP Pitbull
[Linked Image]

The .45 is a bit bigger and heavier, and also holds five rounds. The Pitbull has a unique cylinder in that it does not require moon clips to hold the rounds at the proper depth in the cylinder. There is a spring loaded retainer, built into each round slot in the cylinder that holds the rounds in place. Pretty slick. When you push the extractor rod to eject the spent brass or unfired rounds, it releases it grip on the cartridge rim and they are easily extracted. I consider both of these excellent "truck guns" and with Buffalo Bore Hard Cast Wadcutters (@927fps) in the .44 Special it provides deep, straight line crushing action on bones, with no mushrooming. The hard cast .45ACP loads provide adequate protection against humans and black bears.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Expect about 24 inches of straight-line penetration in living mammalian tissue with this load

[Linked Image]
The two non-expanding loads are designed to shoot through large shoulder bones or the skull on a black bear.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Me either.....i can get 5 center mass hits quick DA fire at 7 or 10yds on a silhouette target with my tuned SP101, but nothing like the groups Mackay posted.
If I had to carry a revolver this is what I would do personally.

While I have 2.5" and 4" Model 19s, I don't consider either ideal, though the 4" is a bit better.

The reason being anything less than a 3" barrel and you risk not getting complete ejection of empty cases during a reload.

While the 4" can work, I would opt for a 3" barrel and high visibility, adjustable sights.

That eliminates the Model 10s and 13s.

Ruger makes a perfect candidate in the 3" GP-100 .357 Mag. They can be found in both the standard and Wiley-Clapp version with a Novak rear and a fiber optic front. It is about as perfect as you could ask for.

Loaded with some Plus P .38s, with a speedloader in your pocket, or better yet, a J Frame. One should be pretty well set.

3" K Frame with adjustable sights or a 3" GP-100. Either would do nicely.
Originally Posted by marktheshark
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Me either.....i can get 5 center mass hits quick DA fire at 7 or 10yds on a silhouette target with my tuned SP101, but nothing like the groups Mackay posted.

The target shown was not fired quickly. It was simply fired standing, and taking my time stacking the DAO trigger. I literally have thousands of rounds through that 442, so I am used to it, and have practiced shooting it out to 50 yards.

That said, most any quality medium frame DA gun from Ruger or S&W can be made to have a very workable trigger, and with practice are quite accurate. The key is lots of practice. Frankly when I take months off from shooting a DA wheelgun, my skills diminish and I suck. It takes a couple hundred rounds to get things back to where they should be again. Most all of us simply don't put in the work that we should to be at the level we want to be when it comes to shooting DA revolvers these days.
Mack, is that paint on the front sight or did you have something milled into place?
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

Thank you for these great pictures of yours. I suppose that the front sight is the result of an aftermarket gunsmith job.
At those Buffalo Bore velocities you wouldn't get much expansion using lyman#2 or linotype either.
Nice shooting M S with the j frame I have a m60 DAO that was a NYP gun that has great DA and is easy to shoot well.
Pachmyer rubber on it gives it a solid grip. Mb
An ADDENDUM:

[quote=RGK]Nothing wrong with a 66...kinda big, though.
Bob

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My post which is Immediately before this ^^^^ was NOT interpreted For Concealed Carry.

I agree RGK that the 66 is a little too big for C C .

I have 2 semis - 9mm & 40 SW for C C or Open Carry (holstered).

IF I was choosing a revolver for CC and EDC I would choose a smaller gun too.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
From time to time I'll carry a S&W 310 with 40 S&W/moon clips in a Milt Sparks PMK. Double speedloader pouch made for 357's will allow 2 stacked moon clips of 40's.....that's 6 in the gun, an 24 on the belt. Fairly fast to reload.

Could do the same with 45's in a 6/325. With 357/38's a 6/327 will hold 8 rounds but I don't think you can stack 2 in the pouch due to the longer length....maybe you could with 38's.

Lots of good options. Regardless of what I carried on the belt, I'd probably have jframe/LCR in my front left pocket as well.

Again....just for show/tell. It's really hard to beat a 310/325. Compact enough that it's no bigger than a Glock 19/23. Super fast reloads, the shorter auto rounds allow full ejection. 4 reloads on the belt....with 6 in that's 30 rounds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Again....just for show/tell. It's really hard to beat a 310/325. Compact enough that it's no bigger than a Glock 19/23. Super fast reloads, the shorter auto rounds allow full ejection. 4 reloads on the belt....with 6 in that's 30 rounds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Those S&W 310 Models are cool revolvers! Never was able to find one I could buy for a reasonable price, unfortunately. 😜
S&W J-frame, stainless stubby in 38 speical. I can draw, point, and fire 5 rounds freaking ASAP into a 9" pie plate at 7-yards. It just points so well for me. Kind of wonder why I bother carrying a 9mm EDC sometimes.
Jerry doesn't carry this, but it's his personalized model JM that he had chambered in 9mm for thousand yard plinking. Lol
No problem. Stainless steel Charter Arms Bulldog Pug with factory bobbed hammer in 44 Special.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Those S&W 310 Models are cool revolvers! Never was able to find one I could buy for a reasonable price, unfortunately. 😜

Yeah, I really like it. I think the 325 would be pretty cool and really efficient as well. I had a 327 Nightguard that I wish I had kept....357's would be hot, but 8 rounds of 38+p would be a pretty good SD option in it..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah, I really like it. I think the 325 would be pretty cool and really efficient as well. I had a 327 Nightguard that I wish I had kept....357's would be hot, but 8 rounds of 38+p would be a pretty good SD option in it..

Is that an LED sight on the grip?
naa mini bugout 22lr. ruger lcr 22lr. s&w 642 or taurus 85 38sp. all regular ccw choices. only semiauto ccw is a keltec p32. cannot post photos due to size limits here, too bad.

the naa may unobtrusively go anyplace (without a metal detector) and thus is a must-have, get cv revision grips. any 38sp lightweight j frame needs fuller grips and wadcutter ammo. i wish that there was an affordable 32 long j frame on the market.
I carry a S&W 638 air weight in 38 spl. My wife has a LCR 38 spl in her purse. We also have a Ruger LCR 22 that we practice with & sometimes it's in my pocket when we go for a walk along the river trail.
I pocket carry a 642, no lock 38 on occasion with a grip that has a slight hook so it will hang off the pocket edge and not end up sideways in the bottom of my pocket.

It's a nice little rig, I like it but I like my wife's lcr better.
Originally Posted by MM879

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Is that an LED sight on the grip?

It's a crimson trace lasergrip. I think it's the following:

https://www.crimsontrace.com/produc...h-wesson-n-frame-round-butt/01-1310.html
Colt Defective Special Win. Silvertip HP and two speed strips. How’s that for Old School Cool?
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Colt Defective Special Win. Silvertip HP and two speed strips. How’s that for Old School Cool?

Absolutely. Six shots, and just a hair larger than a J-Frame. Carried an old school 1950s Detective Special myself for many years.
I carried an S&W 649 stainless humpback snubby for years. My revolver of choice now is a Smith 642 loaded with 135 grain Gold Dot short barrel +P with 5 more on a speed strip in my pocket. Don't carry a revolver much for EDC these days. A 3" SP-101 in a good holster would be mighty comforting in harms way.

Ron
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

Thank you for these great pictures of yours. I suppose that the front sight is the result of an aftermarket gunsmith job.

Front sight was done by the factory, when they still did stuff like that.
Bob
I carry a S&W 432PD. Anything bigger is a nuisance. If I thought I would probably be attacked, I'd change my plans. Tactics beat weapons.

If I couldn't change my plans, I'd take a long gun. That's why the AR is always in the truck.
3" Model 65.

I prefer the low, fixed sights for carry. They don't even think about snagging on anything, and in the situation where you would really need it in a hurry who's looking down sights?

I do carry this one quite a bit.
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
I carry a S&W 432PD. Anything bigger is a nuisance. If I thought I would probably be attacked, I'd change my plans. Tactics beat weapons.

If I couldn't change my plans, I'd take a long gun. That's why the AR is always in the truck.

Sights? we don't need no stink'n sights.
Originally Posted by muleshoe
3" Model 65.

I prefer the low, fixed sights for carry. They don't even think about snagging on anything, and in the situation where you would really need it in a hurry who's looking down sights?

Like. Same with the 13.
3" Model 65.

Like. Same with the 13.

have a Kimber 3 inch DASA that covers the same territory , but is a little more compact
If I wore any of my revolvers I would need to wear a drover coat😆
3" Model 65.

I totally agree. I carry a S&W 442 with a notch for a sight and a 2" barrel. I agree that a longer sight radius and adjustable sights are great for target shooting, but most self defense shooting are 7 to 10 feet , maybe 20 feet at the extreme. You don't net perfect sights or a long sight radius for that type of shooting. If you shoot someone with your adjustable sights and long barrel across the parking lot you are most likely to face charges, as the is no imitate threat. At the ranges mentioned 5 shots is plenty 1 or 2 does the job to disable the threat. My plan at home is to made enough noise with the hand gun until I can get to my shotgun. A hand gun is useless to the average guy that doesn't practice A LOT. my self include.
LCR in chambering and barrel length of choice.

No contest IMO.
Originally Posted by deflave

No contest IMO.

If you’re not talking a Colt or a lowly Smith, it’s blasphemy.
Originally Posted by MM879

No contest IMO.

If you’re not talking a Colt or a lowly Smith, it’s blasphemy.

If they weren't so butt ugly.. smile
Mackay, is that a piece of leather on the back frame?
Originally Posted by b_li_ber_tar_ian

My favorite wheel gun, got 2 of them, one I carry and one NIB for if I wear out the first one, did a trigger job and its a dream to shoot double action
I carry 2 AirWeights with lasers. The “New York reload”
Originally Posted by Switch
I totally agree. I carry a S&W 442 with a notch for a sight and a 2" barrel. I agree that a longer sight radius and adjustable sights are great for target shooting, but most self defense shooting are 7 to 10 feet , maybe 20 feet at the extreme. You don't net perfect sights or a long sight radius for that type of shooting. If you shoot someone with your adjustable sights and long barrel across the parking lot you are most likely to face charges, as the is no imitate threat. At the ranges mentioned 5 shots is plenty 1 or 2 does the job to disable the threat. My plan at home is to made enough noise with the hand gun until I can get to my shotgun. A hand gun is useless to the average guy that doesn't practice A LOT. my self include.

So if someone across the parking lot is shooting at you, they aren't a threat?
You know one or two shots will do the work?
Always have that shotgun handy, huh?
Originally Posted by MOGC

I'm reminded of the elderly gentlemen who lived in a trailer park who saw a fellow trailer park resident involved in a gun fight with a cop, and took his (I believe) six inch Colt Python and took the bad guy out with one shot from fairly far away, like 30 yards or more. Any one remember that?
Originally Posted by kragman1

I could shoot it decently fast double action, plenty good enough for close range. Gun is mechanically accurate as well.

We closed those out for $399 for the last run of those when I was in the Wholesale Firearms Industry! Man was I ever stupid for not buying a couple of them! 😢

WOW...!

I wish that we had BOTH bought a couple at that price! I've seen what they go for today and I still wouldn't sell mine.
I do want to look into the GP100 in .44 Special though. It won't have the finesse of my Smith but I'm sure it would be fine.

I'm reminded of the elderly gentlemen who lived in a trailer park who saw a fellow trailer park resident involved in a gun fight with a cop, and took his (I believe) six inch Colt Python and took the bad guy out with one shot from fairly far away, like 30 yards or more. Any one remember that?

Was he carrying the Colt Python with a 6" barrel concealed? Doubt it. If I had to go out of my home to help a police officer in the situation you described I would have grabbed my shotgun witch is right by the outside door loaded with #3 buck, probably as handy as getting the Colt out of the place he stored it .Killed coyotes out to 65 yards out my back door. I'm more inclined to carry a small gun rather than a big revolver witch is left at home because it is hard to conceal. In the summer I usually wear a tee shirt and conealment is impossible.Try pulling a 6" python from an inside the pant holster. BTY I think 5 would do the job for sure! To each his own!

Was he carrying the Colt Python with a 6" barrel concealed? Doubt it. If I had to go out of my home to help a police officer in the situation you described I would have grabbed my shotgun witch is right by the outside door loaded with #3 buck, probably as handy as getting the Colt out of the place he stored it .Killed coyotes out to 65 yards out my back door. I'm more inclined to carry a small gun rather than a big revolver witch is left at home because it is hard to conceal. In the summer I usually wear a tee shirt and conealment is impossible.Try pulling a 6" python from an inside the pant holster. BTY I think 5 would do the job for sure! To each his own!

But the story goes against the principle you proposed that a long range shot would always be unjustified.

But the story goes against the principle you proposed that a long range shot would always be unjustified.

What ever! Not going to get in a pissin match with you, no gun is perfect. Scope a Red Hawk 454 and carry it in your back pocket. Then when you get a chance to shoot a bad guy or help a cop at 300 yards you'll be good! No more "what if's.
S&W model 19 2.5 inch or S&W model 60 in .357

What ever! Not going to get in a pissin match with you, no gun is perfect. Scope a Red Hawk 454 and carry it in your back pocket. Then when you get a chance to shoot a bad guy or help a cop at 300 yards you'll be good! No more "what if's.

So when you're shown to be mistaken you just start throwing insults??
better to be judged by 12 then buried by 6

bring what you can fight with and live.

and get the eff out of communist states and repopulate the midwest with solid conservatives
I personally like revolvers. I have a S&W model 17 that I have shot thousands of rounds through at small targets. At one time it was my favorite thing I owned. It has been carried a lot.
I would go with a 4 inch Model 19, frame is shootable and saves a bit of weight.

As to barrel length, I carried a Ruger Service 6 with a 4 inch barrel for years, and thought I needed something more concealable and bought a 2.5 inch Colt King Cobra. I found the 1.5 less barrel did almost nothing for concealment, but made it less shootable.

I have no experience shooting a 3 inch barrel revolver so can't speak on it, although a 3 inch model 19 is intriguing.
The 3" K-frame round butt has a cult like following for a reason.
I've been carrying a .45 1911 lately because...well, just because. But I have carried a plain old .38 M&P for a long time. 2" and 4". Loaded with Buffalo Bore 158gr SWCHP's, and speedloaders with Underwood hard cast wadcutters (soft lead hollowpoints tend to hang up when reloading. The hard wadcutters slip right into the chambers).

I am definitely a Safariland speedloader man. HKS speedloaders suck, frankly. I always found them fumbly, rattly, and unreliable... and definitely not that fast. I can reload with a Safariland speedloader pretty dang quick, with a lot less fumbling. No, it's not quite as fast and sure as slapping in a magazine into a 1911, but still not too shabby. This is something that I think is important to practice. Get reloading down to where you can do it easily and reliably and you're good to go.

Goldilocks Zone for daily concealed carry. The Glock 19 of revolvers.

I would have to agree, and I'm a Colt guy.

Yup.
Bob

It all boils down to what you are able and willing to carry and conceal while out and about. This may mean you have a couple different sized revolvers , carry methods, and perhaps even finishes- stainless or blue...

Hard to beat the 66 you already have for most carry situations, but they can be heavy and bulky as was my 686 when I used to carry it. I was offered a Smith Model 10 in a gun store the other day and was sorely tempted but I have never cared for 2" barrels when practicing. A 3" model 10 would be the cat's whiskers though when carrying light . My son carried a Smith Model 19 when he was on Embassy duty in the Marines and loves it. After shooting one myself after he got out I really like them also, but they are a large frame and would be a heavy carry revolver IMO for when you were wearing a suit or heavy outer clothes- which I assume you do both of...

In the end, it may be more difficult to choose a carry system than the pistol you're going to carry. I prefer an underarm holster rig these days but still looking for a good IWB or OWB carry holster that is comfortable and concealable....

Bob

Better to file off the sights for quickdraw.

[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]
Goosey removes the front blade so he can conceal it up his ass.
Goosey removes the front blade so he can conceal it up his ass.
Slavek says that's bs because Goosey's ass is way too loose to hold a gun.
I bought a S&W 432 PD - Centennial Air-Weight Snub Nose Revolver - Fully enclosed hammer - .32 H&R Mag. at Sportsman Warehouse,
many years ago, for my wife. (I still got it) and it's in perfect condition and 1/3 the size of the linked picture.

Shortly after, I saw an identical S&W 431PD (with exposed hammer) for $30 more at Gander Mountain. Both revolvers were on 'Clearance'.
I should have bought that one too.

<> https://www.budsgunshop.com/images/15069.jpg <>

Yesterday while searching for the cat in the garage I found 4 full boxes of 32 H&R Ammo.
Ruger LCR 38 w/ wadcutters.
Revolvers that do get carried.
S&W Model 15-3 w/ a 4 inch barrel
S&W Model 67 - no dash w/ a 4 inch barrel
S&W Model 66-3 w/ a 2.5 barrel that has been carried for years (since the late 80's)
S&W Model 65-3 HB w/ a 3 inch barrel
S&W Model 696 - no dash w/ a 3 inch barrel (need a respectable leather holster for this one as Kydex just doesn't seem right)

I do like my classic S&W revolvers.

StarchedCover
Originally Posted by P_Weed
I bought a S&W 432 PD - Centennial Air-Weight Snub Nose Revolver - Fully enclosed hammer - .32 H&R Mag. at Sportsman Warehouse,
many years ago, for my wife. (I still got it) and it's in perfect condition and 1/3 the size of the linked picture.

Shortly after, I saw an identical S&W 431PD (with exposed hammer) for $30 more at Gander Mountain. Both revolvers were on 'Clearance'.
I should have bought that one too.

<> https://www.budsgunshop.com/images/15069.jpg <>

Yesterday while searching for the cat in the garage I found 4 full boxes of 32 H&R Ammo.

Your 32 H&R Mag sounds super interesting. I never knew of the round. I have a 32 S&W Long and a Nagat. I agree, should have bought both!
Usual daily carry now. Worked well enough in LA.
Bob

Wader, I think you made good choice!
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

Who's the maker of that holster?
I like the 4 inch version, in fact I own a couple AND I carry them.

If I was buying NEW right now, I'd probably look at the 7 and 8 shot 38s.
LCR 357.
If I HAD too I sure would not look on it as a hardship or being inadequate. On tv we are currently od'ed by movie star cops that can't hit anything or are instructed to do mag dumps everytime the gun comes out by following the script. I shoot sw revolvers well and have faith with using them. Mb
Originally Posted by LightninHopkins
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

Who's the maker of that holster?

The late Vic Perez, Burbank, CA. Now 37 years old and still used almost daily.
Bob
Waders: First off YOU need to move out that state (whichever it is!)!
PERIOD!
Secondly I would look upon your obtaining a revolver as an investment that you may wish to sell when you get to a better place to live.
Ipso facto purchase an older but mint condition Smith & Wesson Model 60 in either 38 Special or in 357 Magnum.
I have three of these and carried one of them for decades with NO sign of wear to date - and it is much more valuable now than when I bought it.
The Model 60 is of course reliable and resilient and quite easy to conceal.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I often carry a similar load out to RGK. Either a 2” 36, a 2” m10, or most often a 2” M15. Always with a speed strip in my back pocket. I may not be ideally outfitted to take on a platoon of commies but I wouldn’t want to be in front of me and inside of 50 yards with any of the 3. The really important part is that I actually carry them because they aren’t overly bulky or heavy.
Originally Posted by TheKid
I often carry a similar load out to RGK. Either a 2” 36, a 2” m10, or most often a 2” M15. Always with a speed strip in my back pocket. I may not be ideally outfitted to take on a platoon of commies but I wouldn’t want to be in front of me and inside of 50 yards with any of the 3. The really important part is that I actually carry them because they aren’t overly bulky or heavy.

I would LOVE to find a 2" 15.
Bob
629-1 4" for a few yrs.
Shoulder holsters are a no go anymore, and have been for some time ( neck fugged up ).

Had a 60 no dash, bobbed. Neat rig.

If I had to carry a rig now, proly a 7 shot L frame 4".
Or if having to go lighter, 60 pro 3" w adj sights.
I like my autos mo betta.
But a buddy has a 340 PD and Ive shot Corbon .357 mags in it.
Yee freakin haw !
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by TheKid

I would LOVE to find a 2" 15.
Bob

This will make your heart bleed:

https://www.progun.de/de/shop/kurzw...=15&s_hk=1&s_sk=29&o=preis_d

And there are more of them in the same price range. Your problem is the price, our problem here are the restrictions due to hoplophobic politicians.Unless you have a collector's licence which is hard to come by people over here are restricted to just to just two handguns with a very few exceptions. I'd rather like to take your problems.

The M10-whatever are even less expensive.
These 38 special and 30-06 model 70 threads. I could be happy for ever!
A Colt owner perspective: Smith & Wesson, one reason not to buy a Ruger. I like the SP101 but, every one I’ve seen was broken down.
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Mack, is that paint on the front sight or did you have something milled into place?

It is just fingernail polish.

Now days I use some "Traffic Cone Orange" stuff I found on amazon.
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Mackay, is that a piece of leather on the back frame?

Yep.

It makes long shooting sessions considerably more comfortable. I have many thousands of rounds through that J Frame, practicing, training, etc, including a fair bit of practice at the 50 yard line. The bad guys don't change their actions based on the guns you choose to wear, so being extremely proficient with whatever I was carrying at work was always extremely important to me.

I shot a lot of heavy loads though that gun and more than a few times, especially in the cold weather when my hands were dry, my skin would tear from the exposed backstrap due to my high grip and heavy loads.

I experimented with various things over the years, including pieces of EVA foam (which works even better, but is just slightly bulkier). The hockey tape gives it an extra grippy texture.

The gun may not be "pretty" but it has always been a working gun, and served me well for a very long time. A little rough around the edges now, but it certainly earned those marks. It is still a trusted companion. This last weekend I was on the road doing some tings and it was my BUG of choice, riding in my off-side front pocket as always.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

It is just fingernail polish.

Now days I use some "Traffic Cone Orange" stuff I found on amazon.

I had done that in the past on one revolver... I just did a second one after putting on a white primer coat first. It makes the florescent yellow polish I used "pop" more. I got into hand guns through bullseye target shooting as a kid and then after I turned 21 and could get a purchase permit in the gulag of NY State all my deer hunting was with hand guns (no rifle season and the shotgun slugs back then were not accurate).

I didn't get a concealed carry permit until 10 years ago. I put a laser grip on my first 638 and could not believe how accurate that little gun was.... until the cylinder started to just slide off. The tab of metal on the frame was undersized. Gun shop exchanged it for a new on and it was no where near as accurate. Gun shop said S&W would say it met accuracy standards so I took a chance and traded it in at a loss for a 3rd 638. This one shoots as well as the first did and they cylinder stays on. My wife then decided it was "hers". grin
SMITH & WESSON 66-2 STAINLESS 2 1/2 IN BRL 357 MAG REVOLVER
© 24hourcampfire